Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Nov 28, 2012 1:42 AM
Jun 2012
OMG 1.0 is awesome xD
Dec 1, 2012 11:22 AM

Jun 2011
Even though I did not like the original . . .I freaking loved this one.
Dec 6, 2012 8:05 AM

Mar 2010
the characters are meh...the plot is okay,the fights are awesome
7/10
Dec 19, 2012 2:21 AM

Aug 2012
I've always wondered why they give the evas guns? Especially when they say conventional weapons won't work.
Dec 23, 2012 3:17 PM
Sep 2012
i was wondering what was so good about Eva, and after watching this, i have concluded that its AWESOME!!!!! Fights dont get better than this, now onto the next ONE!
Dec 30, 2012 9:27 AM

Oct 2012
I just rewatched the film last night, and I have to say that its much better the second time around. I recommend that everyone revisits it after watching 2.22, which is admittedly the superior film.
Let this be our little secret, no needs to know we're feeling HIGHER AND HIGHER AND HIGHER!
Jan 5, 2013 6:46 PM

Jan 2012
same story with minimal changes. sometimes it felt too similar because it religiously had the same frame for frame on the majority of the movie. some changes on how "A" happens but ultimately led to the same plot. Less philosophical and emo scenes is always good. However, the comedy scenes were also got cut off. This movie is pure plot so you will have to watch the original tv series to get the full experience.

I woulda enjoyed this movie more if I watched the tv series 10+ years ago.

Doritos out of 10.
My Guitar Covers:
Playlist

I CAN ALWAYS SHOW MY EVERYTHING TO YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUU
Jan 6, 2013 11:36 PM

Dec 2012
The fight were the big change here, quite awesome. They better make an epic endingfor this one.
Jan 7, 2013 8:31 PM

Nov 2011
Pretty good movie so far. My thoughts:

• Loved the action and beginning scenes of the film
  • Accurately follows the original anime series with better animation style
  • Rie is still a cool chick :p
  • Loved some of the backgrounds
  • Damn, that scene with a nude Rie was strange..between her and Shinji
  • Dat bitch slap
  • Nice ED song

Also, that ending scene...oh shit:

Overall, 7/10 for the movie.
Jan 9, 2013 3:37 AM

Feb 2011
Ill start off by saying that I havent watched all of this Ive watched probably about the first 20min or so when I first got a copy just to see what it was like, I plan to collect and marathon once the other movies are released. Its probably not wise to come to a conclusion just yet but Ill do it anyway. Im grateful for the updated artwork its looks very 'pretty' but thats about all.

Im watching this in English like I did the original series and it seems like they have changed some of the voice actors for whatever reason, even those who are the same don't all sound the same as they used to and in some cases its as if the actors weren't trying hard enough they're voices lack the emotion they originally had. One of my favorite parts in the original series was evas sounds (mad raw in particular) during the first time it went berserk, it sounded just stupid in the movie.

Ive been told that shinji is meant to be more assertive in this series which if true hallelujah, I think I'm not alone when I say i wanted to climb through my monitor and bitch slap the original shinji even if his behavior might have been justified in some scenarios.

People have told me and I have seen (ie mari) that plot changes have been made which may be good if its interesting (its like reading a new story) but what I really wanted to see was the original plot again just with all the confusing shit (eg EoE) cleared up.
Jan 9, 2013 4:29 AM

Aug 2009
KidNemo said:
Ill start off by saying that I havent watched all of this Ive watched probably about the first 20min or so when I first got a copy just to see what it was like, I plan to collect and marathon once the other movies are released. Its probably not wise to come to a conclusion just yet but Ill do it anyway. Im grateful for the updated artwork its looks very 'pretty' but thats about all.

Im watching this in English like I did the original series and it seems like they have changed some of the voice actors for whatever reason, even those who are the same don't all sound the same as they used to and in some cases its as if the actors weren't trying hard enough they're voices lack the emotion they originally had. One of my favorite parts in the original series was evas sounds (mad raw in particular) during the first time it went berserk, it sounded just stupid in the movie.

Ive been told that shinji is meant to be more assertive in this series which if true hallelujah, I think I'm not alone when I say i wanted to climb through my monitor and bitch slap the original shinji even if his behavior might have been justified in some scenarios.

People have told me and I have seen (ie mari) that plot changes have been made which may be good if its interesting (its like reading a new story) but what I really wanted to see was the original plot again just with all the confusing shit (eg EoE) cleared up.

I cant tell something about the voices since I watched the japanese version(although my first Evangelion anime was the Death and Rebirth recap in English) but about the changes in the plot later...The plot changes a bit at
and later changes even more at
where all the new/changed stuff start to appear along with...cant believe I am saying this...

So it is pretty much the same story WITHOUT the confusing shit.
Feb 5, 2013 11:45 AM

Oct 2010
Just watched 1.11 and I liked it so much more than the show. Beautiful eye candy aside, Shinji's constant self-loathing is what kills the show for me. So glad they edited his bitching as much as they did.
Feb 5, 2013 11:07 PM

Oct 2010
MudRune said:
I've always wondered why they give the evas guns? Especially when they say conventional weapons won't work.

Because EVA's have AT fields, and if they can cancel out the angel's AT field they will actually hit the angel instead of rebounding off it (as it occured when they fought Matariel). Now whether they do any damage depends on the angel's defense. Most angels would take some damage from it if their AT fields are not active- the obvious exception to this is Zeruel as he was not even scratched after EVA unit 00 managed to get thru it's AT field and detonate an N2 mine on it.
Mar 1, 2013 11:45 AM

Jan 2013
It's very good.
But, I shouldn't have watching it right after I finished marathoning the main series a couple of days ago.

8/10
Mar 16, 2013 10:02 PM

Nov 2011
Heads up. This is on TV in the U.S. right now. I love seeing this on my TV guide screen:

Mar 16, 2013 11:50 PM

Nov 2012
I love how this movie is trending on twitter.
Mar 17, 2013 12:30 AM

Oct 2010
Totally gonna watch this in a half hour when it airs on the west coast, even though I have a 1080p rip on my PC.
Apr 21, 2013 12:41 PM
Mar 2013
What..., what..., whatttt.. *¬* I really don't know what to say. My mind is melting. That was perfect... and that eva shout.... that first fight. I really dont like rewatch anime, but if knew that had been so good, I'm sure had watched it before.
Apr 27, 2013 3:31 PM

Sep 2011
Damn that's so good. Like someone said, I like this also more than the TV series. Also, that 6th angel is damn cool.

8/10.

Apr 29, 2013 3:52 PM

Feb 2008
Nothing special, just a lazy summary. The visuals seem TV quality. I expected more of it. At least the CGI looks good (even though I HATE CGI cars). The pacing was just ridiculous. Some parts were so fast that Shinji changed his opinion every 5minutes. I don't remember the show that well as I've seen it long time ago, but this movie seems to be nearly identical, with few changes here and there (most in the second half). It's just that it feels lazy. If the other movies are different, why not make the first one different too?

Hopefully the next movie's good, as it goes a different route than the TV show. 5/10

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Apr 29, 2013 3:53 PM

Oct 2012
ZetaZaku said:

Hopefully the next movie's good, as it goes a different route than the TV show. 5/10

Once you get to 3.33....Yep.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
May 15, 2013 3:56 AM

Oct 2012
i dont understand the story in this movie.. as always, i cant like any mecha anime, kinda bored, but the action was fine. so 7/10.
ryshinMay 15, 2013 4:00 AM

May 15, 2013 11:32 AM

Feb 2012
Just finished watching this movie

Evangelion 1.0 Movie Thoughts:

WOW, that was awesome what they did for EVA series overall. Final part was most touching and it even gave some new scenes like Kaworu speaking with SEELE, and Shinji discovering Lilith these didn't happen in actual Tv-series. Movie pacing was OK considering they meant to make recap movie overall with little changes.
May 25, 2013 7:00 PM

Feb 2012
I think a month after finishing the tv series was more than enough of a wait. Excellent remake/retelling.
Aug 12, 2013 2:04 PM

Oct 2009
Pretty good even though it's basically an updated recap. Liked the alternate scenes and animation, but I do prefer the original pacing.

Service, service!
Aug 14, 2013 4:41 PM

Jan 2013
I liked this movie,i hope the other will be different as this one.
And btw awesome remake,well done :)
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Sep 25, 2013 4:55 AM

May 2012
Bad OST. Horrible direction and pacing. The final fight was quite okay, though.
3/10.
The TV series was less terrible.
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Oct 10, 2013 7:24 AM

Oct 2009
It's been a long time since i watched Eva series, i can't exactly remember everything but i think they did a fantastic job with jamming all of this in one movie. The pacing was great, felt long, consistent and had enough content. But of course Shinji's progression was lessened but this is better, he's less annoying like this :D

The OST was 'ehhh' but the last battle track was pretty good :)
8.4/10
AozureOct 10, 2013 7:32 AM
Dec 7, 2013 7:41 PM
Jul 2018
I don't know what to say about this movie other than it was awesome and better than the first six or so episodes that it covered. Great animation, and I like how Funimation got back a lot of the VAs for the dub.
Feb 2, 2014 3:50 AM

Mar 2010
It was hard for me to enjoy something that was so close to something that I love so much, but at the same time just slightly off.

I'm leaving this one unscored
Feb 12, 2014 6:35 AM

May 2008
Finally got my hands on watching this and it was great!
Cant believe it took me so long I feel bad!

Anyway great animation with an amazing story that makes you really hooked for more.
Ikari at first was annoying but understandable given that he has been always alone with no family or friends so it was good to see some development in that with Misato, Rei and the 2 guys and school but of course the most important would be the father which I dont understand why he has been so ignorant towards him all this time until Angel attacked which he decides then to make him the pilot? He seems to have disowned him as a son. so would like to see more background on their relationship in the next movie.

Also is there a reason why only he and rei were chosen? arent their other options of pilots? also the fact that the nerv team were reluctant to make rei pilot of Uni 01?

Although there were some questions up in the air I still really enjoyed it!

9/10 GREAT!
Feb 18, 2014 5:32 AM

Apr 2013
The animation in this movie was fantastic :D
Feb 19, 2014 4:33 AM

Aug 2013
I actually like this more than the tv series :o!
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Apr 20, 2014 2:01 PM

Jun 2012
I haven't seen the original series (well, I watched the first episode ages ago).

I thought it was kind of good but not great. I'll probably watch the second film at some point. 7/10
N☆ 

Apr 30, 2014 9:01 AM

Jun 2013
Fabrice said:

Also is there a reason why only he and rei were chosen? arent their other options of pilots? also the fact that the nerv team were reluctant to make rei pilot of Uni 01?
9/10 GREAT!

Probably too late for you to see this, but in case you do:

For Shinji:

Do you know what Unit-01 actually is? The soul and body of Shinji's mother, Yui Ikari, is inside it. This is the result of her volunteering to be the test subject of the Contact Experiment for SEELE. Her absorbed body is the LCL, the liquid Shinji breathes and bathes in when piloting Unit-01. In this way he physically and mentally connects with his mother. She is a determining factor in how the unit responds to Shinji, and a key player for Nerv. She protects Shinji many times, whereas anyone else without that spiritual connection to the unit would have surely died. When Unit-01 goes berserker mode, that's triggered by Yui's soul trying to protect her son. This is why Shinji was chosen.

That's the brief summary, anyway.
------

*edit* As for Rei:

Gendo tried to "extract" his wife from the EVA after the Contact Experiment, and Rei is the result of this.
ex_necrossApr 30, 2014 9:10 AM
May 23, 2014 1:17 AM

May 2013
Although there's a lot of changes here, Evangelion 1.0 still rocks.
The world shall know the truth soon.
Jun 26, 2014 5:17 PM

Jun 2013
Great movie! I like the new animation. Everything is basically the same as the TV series except with a few changes, like Kaworu making an appearance at the end, hinting at End of Evangelion already? I'm off to watch the 2nd movie now!
Aug 9, 2014 11:28 AM

Apr 2013
finally got around to watching the first movie.

of course compared to the series it feels a bit rushed and shinji's struggle was done better in the episodes again simply because there was more time for it.

everything else though very enjoyable. production quality obviously higher than the series the angel encounters were better in the movie.
Dec 19, 2014 10:28 PM

Jul 2012
Cinematography and OST were fantastic. I liked how they changed the artistic effects in many of the older scenes. The addition of jazz music and remixes of the famous timpani OST was also nice!

Since I still had the story fresh from my previous watch of the two cour anime, it wasn't that interesting, but still worthwhile.

2.0, you're next.
Dec 22, 2014 7:00 AM

Jul 2014
Wow ... a breathtaking moment there !!

Poor Shinji though. No one cares about him.
Dec 27, 2014 6:54 PM

Sep 2012
I saw the anime show and movies a couple years ago and I just finished watching 1.11 (Blu-Ray)and it was amazing! It was fun finding all the new stuff that they added and the visuals OMG! The end theme song "Beautiful World" by Utada Hikaru was really good (time to go download it!) now time to watch 2.22 XD
Feb 3, 2015 2:23 PM

Sep 2014
Animation was gorgeous, but I still prefer the series. Even though this first "Rebuild" doesn't stray from the original material, it feels like fast-food to me.

They made Ramiel even more OP, nice. I've always thought it was the coolest angel.

I'm interested in interpreting the Rebuilds as a possible continuation of EoE.
Mar 2, 2015 7:15 PM

Oct 2013
Never knew the rebuilds were like a remake of the original series (at least 1.11) hehe, that said I didn't minded it at all, it looked beautiful and the ost
as always was amazing and especially that last fight was really well done.

Mar 28, 2015 1:18 PM

Feb 2015
There are some little but major differences from the tv series. I got bored while watching this because i had watched NGE twice already but it is a solid movie with very cool animations. I'm glad to hear that second movie differs from the original.
Apr 2, 2015 1:52 PM
Oct 2012
This is basically the Activision (Call of Duty) of anime.
Ak_Force_Apr 2, 2015 2:38 PM
May 18, 2015 8:34 AM

Sep 2014
The animation was amazing, I was blown away multiple times throughout the film.

The difference ten years makes (since EoE) really shows.
Mirai, zura~!
Jun 19, 2015 2:32 PM
Nov 2014
I liked it a bit more than the main series, that's a plus I guess.

6/10
VirginAmirulOct 11, 2015 11:32 PM
Jul 6, 2015 11:06 AM

Aug 2014
More Eva is always nice. 8/10
Jul 23, 2015 2:46 PM

Dec 2011
Ramiel is my new favourite angel. Seriously. It screamed! Animations was great. Music was amazing! Loved it. 8/10
Jul 26, 2015 9:28 PM
Jun 2015
i didn't dilike the movie but i still prefer the series for the simple reason. WHAT MADE EVANGELION FAMOUS? it is the dark psychological aspects of the characters and the animation that portrayed it, for me. Many don't like shinji being a whiny little crying kid, but lets be honest he is a kid with an absent father who never cared for him and with no mother, so we must understand that for years he was neglected of love. But this shinji doesn't feel human enough. If I recommend somebody evangelion I would tell them to watch the series because that's what it makes it special. If not it is another mecha action, with something about Christianity i try to understand but even don't care enough to try. The movie is for me, after you watch the series if you want to understand the plot. I haven't watched the second one, but i get the feeling where it's going. (I hope to watch the breakdown of asuka reinterpreted)
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

» The last scene in Evangelion 1.0 is one of the best in all of anime

CickNipolla - Oct 12, 2022

10 by El_Professor07 »»
Oct 18, 2022 7:49 AM

» Can I skip this?

jonnn9 - Aug 15, 2022

30 by Jayby »»
Aug 22, 2022 9:36 PM

» Am I the only one who was annoyed by the CGI?

Flugzeug - Jul 30, 2022

15 by Worm_Death »»
Jul 31, 2022 4:31 PM

» Gendou's Parenting Skills

KelpRings - Jul 27, 2022

0 by KelpRings »»
Jul 27, 2022 4:11 PM

» Should I drop the original and watch this instead?

Igreja - Jul 24, 2022

37 by TombER0N »»
Jul 27, 2022 9:03 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.