Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Orient
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jan 5, 2022 11:30 PM

Aug 2021
I liked this episode and the ost's were really cool the animation wasn't good at the oni slaying moments tho
the motorcycle scene made me laugh and felt really weird tho lol
Jan 6, 2022 2:48 AM

Mar 2019
just your average everyday Anime i guess nothing special
also why people has so much talk about an Anime as shallow as this anyway 😂
Jan 6, 2022 4:05 AM
Jun 2017
seems interesting... will watch this one
Jan 6, 2022 4:39 AM
Jan 2022
Small (but still annoying) info dump at the start and there was quite a few too many static frames for my liking.

Hoping that it's not just Oni bad/Bushi good but the end of the episode kind of pointed it in that direction.

Main positive is likely the relationship between the 2 characters and whether being descended from Bushi raises some conflicts down the line.

3/5
Jan 6, 2022 5:45 AM

Dec 2020
its.. Eh. not bad but nowhere close to good either, only thing im liking so far is the friend-rival duo with the mc having piercings. Yes his ear piercings make up for plus points
Jan 6, 2022 6:57 AM

May 2012
Looks like the Shaman King remake as far as budget goes. Dropped the manga a long time ago too, due to being an absolute snoozefest...

The opening is absolutely horrendous looking, by the way...
Jan 6, 2022 7:12 AM

Dec 2015
The characters and story seem to come out of a 10 year old e-girl fanfic, the first episode didn't hyped at all, but let's see how far it goes.
Jan 6, 2022 8:33 AM

Jul 2021
This was good, enjoyed it. Can't really judge just based on first episode, will rate after watching like 3-4 episodes.

The OP and ED are good.

The world concept is good too, there are Oni's and Bushi those who fight the Onis. The people of this world are dumbasses who somehow got manipulated into believing that Oni's are good, Bushi bad and discriminate against Bushi's and praise Onis

They tried to make the atmosphere tense during the conversation between yellow and red(orange?) haired guy but it wasn't really.

It was quite amusing to see a motorbike though not gonna lie.

The fights were good but it didn't feel quite believable considering they literally saw Oni's for the first time and started slaying them like nothing even though they don't have any previous combat experience, even conversing while slaying them, didn't like this.

This anime should be good, first episode was interesting, didn't get bored plus according to the ED there's a waifu too so should be fun.

Looking forward to next episode.
TsutanaiFuunJan 6, 2022 8:40 AM

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Jan 6, 2022 9:06 AM

Feb 2013
Ah it was so refreshing to see a shounen like this. SO tired of all the new isekai. I really enjoyed this first episode. Sad to see a low score but I guess everyone has their opinions.
Jan 6, 2022 9:41 AM

Oct 2014
One word for this and that's, YIKES! Going from Magi to this is just painful to watch.
It's Morbin' Time!
Jan 6, 2022 10:29 AM

Jun 2021
As a person who never got into Magi, this one also didn't really grab my attention.

The story and the set up felt pretty generic and predictable. The animation, while not terrible, wasn't all that impressive. Maybe once they add more characters, it will get better, but so far not too crazy about it.

I did laugh when Kojirou just tackled the enemy with that silly looking crystal motorcycle (not sure if I was suppose to laugh at that).
Jan 6, 2022 10:42 AM

Oct 2017
Most likely a drop for me.

Painfully average.
Animation is below average and the premise is just... boring/ generic.
Execution is bad too, there's no highlight in this first ep which is supposed to be the episode you need to keep audience's attention/ interest.
Jan 6, 2022 3:55 PM

Jul 2020
Decent first episode, I have a feeling things are only going to get better from here.

The OP is really good too!

"Truth is always a cruel thing."

Jan 6, 2022 6:02 PM
Jan 2018
It was an average episode. If the Magi mangaka didn't create this story, I would probably never give this show a chance. When I read the first chapter of the manga, it didn't grab me. So it's fine if the first episode was average. I'm hoping I can get the story through the anime to decide if Orient is worth my time or not.

Honestly, this show only needs to match Platinum End for me not to drop it. And Platinum End is a low bar indeed. Hopefully this show ends up like Black Clover and Ariadne of the Blue Sky and ends up a pleasant surprise.
Jan 6, 2022 7:15 PM

Jan 2020
phantomfandom said:
If they want to differentiate this anime from dozens of similar anime they should go full BL. I've enough of a show full of hot character designs, I want hot interections.

Wth. Go watch a yaoi series then. I hate it when people want random BL or GL shippings to “differentiate” a series.
Jan 6, 2022 7:16 PM

Jan 2020
Pyoung said:
Ah it was so refreshing to see a shounen like this. SO tired of all the new isekai. I really enjoyed this first episode. Sad to see a low score but I guess everyone has their opinions.

Were you tired of Mushoku Tensei as well?
Jan 6, 2022 7:24 PM

Feb 2013
Animillion said:
Pyoung said:

Were you tired of Mushoku Tensei as well?

Not really those last few episodes were pretty amazing ngl.
Jan 6, 2022 7:54 PM

Jun 2019
I can almost guarantee that I will end up dropping this, but I’ll give it the old 1/5th try. The OP and ED are legitimately bad, which doesn’t help when you have the most cookie-cutter Fairy Tail inspired Shounen with subpar art and animation. I don’t have much hope for this one.
Jan 7, 2022 4:06 AM

Mar 2014
Pretty weak start, but maybe... hopefully it will get better
Jan 7, 2022 5:37 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Alright, then. This is an okay beginning. The introduction of the main characters looks a bit too fast to make me care. Guess the story use a fast pace, idk. Also, at first i feel weird seeing the motorcycle out of the blue appeared. But honestly, since i am seeing all the effect that comes out from their sword, not to mention there's some floating land on the end. Looks like i need to be positive against this, in the midst of everyone negativity.

Oped okay. Animation is fine, not that as bad as people said above. Can't care much about manga rn, because i am watching anime here, not manga. Okayish first episode overall. Lets see if the next keeps intriguing me...
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jan 7, 2022 5:44 AM
Jan 2022
I thought it was a pretty decent episode. I don't think it deserves the rating it got. I'd probably say it's around 7.
Jan 7, 2022 9:00 AM

May 2015
the art in the manga and the fights are difficult to adapt, idk how in the fuck this studio will do it. The animation was not that bad i've seen much worse, this manga deserved a better studio.

btw it's probably my favorite ongoing battle shounen atm.
Jan 7, 2022 12:06 PM
Feb 2021
I didn't enjoy the episode that much. It seems that someone mixed Magi, SNK, and KNY, but the animation looks so outdated. Some things that annoyed me were the boy's pickaxe, the dialogues, and some dilemmas.
Jan 7, 2022 3:51 PM

Jul 2019
Boring premise, typical run-of-the-mill shounen characters, run-of-the-mill story arcs if seems. I was expecting more from the creator of Magi to be honest. But the first episode was a chore to watch already given its egregious animation.

An instant drop for me.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Jan 7, 2022 4:20 PM
Jan 2022
Pyoung said:
Anime like One Piece, Black Clover, and Naruto have bad first episode (the MC looks annoying on the first sight and have bad animation), but ended up liked by so many people. Hoped that Orient will go that way.
Jan 8, 2022 6:39 AM

Jun 2012
The animation was weak and the art style really lazy... the motorcycle was already out of place so making it in CGI was to much. For a first episode where usually there's more effort put in than the rest, this episode was subpar. I''m not seeing this getting better...

Magi had really good animation, art and script, if this had or will have those, it could be or become a nice watch
Jan 8, 2022 5:14 PM

May 2009
Terrible first episode, it was even worse than I remembered it in manga. Production values mediocre, too many stilts and panning shots and those overused sounds like from some stock sounds database of anime. Motorcycle out of nowhere ramming into demon and Kojiro having Musashi's pickaxe was terrible directing, these need to have some foreshadowing.

Snaita said:
Magi had really good animation, art and script, if this had or will have those, it could be or become a nice watch

Maybe on blurays because tv broadcast suffered from some regular QUALITY moments like infamous Morgiana's dance with missing inbetweens.
Jan 9, 2022 2:37 AM

Jul 2016
Ronninn said:
At least it's kind of decent enough for me to actually pay attention. But, eh, the animation looks cheap.

Well, I'll look forward to whatever this show might offer.

The animation is very poor...
Jan 9, 2022 6:53 AM
Jan 2022
That was painful to watch. After jusnt 1 episode im gonna drop the anime.. gonna stick to the manga instead.
Jan 9, 2022 9:49 AM

Dec 2020
As shounen as it gets, really.

Read a comment that this episode was expanded more on the manga, but they assumed they probably just wanted it to be done and thus get into the "meaty" part of the story, which honestly, would explain a lot. I'd give it a couple more episodes since I did enjoy Magi a fair bit and 1 episode isn't usually enough to judge a series by.
Jan 9, 2022 10:36 AM
Jul 2020
Honestly it gives me very typical shounen feel, nothing original. Unfortunetly animation looks a bit cheap. First episode was a little... dramatic, but let's hope for the best
Jan 9, 2022 11:11 AM

Jun 2012
bastek66 said:
Terrible first episode, it was even worse than I remembered it in manga. Production values mediocre, too many stilts and panning shots and those overused sounds like from some stock sounds database of anime. Motorcycle out of nowhere ramming into demon and Kojiro having Musashi's pickaxe was terrible directing, these need to have some foreshadowing.

Snaita said:

Maybe on blurays because tv broadcast suffered from some regular QUALITY moments like infamous Morgiana's dance with missing inbetweens.

Well yes, it wasn't perfect but it still had more ups than downs. I didn't really mind Morgiana dance when I had her (and the other dude jacked like a 300 warrior) kicks fight scenes well animated. This from a show from 2012...
Orient on the other hand, from the first episode doesn't even looks like it's manga.
Jan 9, 2022 12:15 PM

Apr 2020
Awful and soulless. Good luck for the watchers, I'm dropping.
Imagine how boring this world would be without Japan - a comment at youtube
Jan 9, 2022 1:41 PM

May 2018
ok first episode. I don't think the show is taking itself seriously and I'm fine with that since the entire set up is so stupid lol.
Jan 9, 2022 2:14 PM
Jan 2022
jara00 said:
Honestly it gives me very typical shounen feel, nothing original. Unfortunetly animation looks a bit cheap. First episode was a little... dramatic, but let's hope for the best
If this will be weekly anime and gets better later on, then the early episode will be pardonable, well if this is seasonal anime...
Jan 10, 2022 9:11 PM
Jan 2021
I thought it was okay, nothing spectacular, just an average anime.

The art was mediocre at best. Personally felt like they lacked in shots or movements of the characters. The graphics just felt really stand still. The art style was also really average, seemed like they didn’t put much effort into it.

The plot was also an average action shounen anime; world is overturn by evil monsters, mc wants change and fights against evil with bestfriend. There was a lot lacking in the introduction into the universe but it is the first episode so it’ll pass.

Probably going to continue watching the anime just for fun.
Jan 11, 2022 8:50 AM

May 2018
matias067 said:
hmmmm it was alright!
pick-axe-katana was clever huh...
3/5.

He will never use it again.
Only Katana.
Jan 11, 2022 8:52 AM

May 2018
Ardi8 said:
jara00 said:
If this will be weekly anime and gets better later on, then the early episode will be pardonable, well if this is seasonal anime...

It's already confirmed, it will have only 12 episodes
Jan 12, 2022 12:58 PM

Oct 2012
For a first episode, man was I unimpressed. Even with the low expectations of a typical Shonen, this didn't really get me a slight bit invested.
And lol how easy it is to tell who's a main character.
Jan 12, 2022 1:20 PM
ダンダダン

Jun 2015
The problem with this is the animation it sucks, yea the story is a bit meh but I can button it but not the animation see how they are using white colored background in certain secens why do they think this is nice lol honestly I'm surprised the mangaka being as famous as she is would allow a nobody studio to adapt her manga, even if the studio is the one to reach out to her she has the power to decline the offer, look at demon slayer the plot is not the most brilliant thing ever but with a good studio and some spectacular art a series can rise to the top compared to this

Jan 13, 2022 1:50 PM

Feb 2009
I think this'll be a low tier shounen but I like the characters so I hope they develop more beyond their troupes, ie I hope it's shounen-ai instead of power of friendship crap. I love the character design though!

Also why a motorcycle?

Jan 14, 2022 12:38 AM
Jan 2020
MegamiRem said:
Generic shounen start, not bad but nothing out of ordinary. Animation was lacking as well with many still scenes. I do like the mc and artstyle thou. Hopefully this'll get better.
I hope they wont heavily censor Orient.
Mehehehee
Jan 14, 2022 12:40 AM
Jan 2020
Welp... Read the Manga Instead.
That's it.
(This one didn't age well. 2023)
JeehenOct 30, 2023 9:56 AM
Mehehehee
Jan 27, 2022 1:26 PM

Jul 2008
Monster slaying in the Sengoku era, yes please!
Feb 13, 2022 3:53 PM
Sep 2017
Ah, the characters have flaws in this show. The protagonist actually has inner struggles. It's refreshing.
Feb 24, 2022 4:55 PM
Oct 2019
it was ok. kind of entertaining and corny with bad dialogue

6/10
HagePotPotatoFeb 24, 2022 7:01 PM
Sep 10, 2022 9:44 PM
Unfortunate One

Jul 2016
Is no one gonna talk about the motorcycle?

Sep 28, 2022 2:56 AM
Apr 2021
good entrance, dont like the fact that every (normal) human has red hair and the pacing was a bit too slow for my taste
Oct 15, 2022 1:13 AM
Oct 2014
Oct 17, 2022 3:45 AM

Mar 2013
Decent first episode for me, story is good enough.
Time to binge on this...
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Orient Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2022

45 by Destroyer31 »»
Dec 5, 2023 9:30 PM

Poll: » Orient Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 16, 2022

45 by ionelHeredia »»
May 27, 2023 8:17 AM

Poll: » Orient Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 9, 2022

26 by ionelHeredia »»
May 25, 2023 9:16 PM

Poll: » Orient Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 2, 2022

19 by ionelHeredia »»
May 24, 2023 8:33 AM

Poll: » Orient Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 9, 2022

30 by andreariona »»
Feb 20, 2023 3:00 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.