Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 6, 2021 7:01 AM
Oct 2021
Hayao Miyazaki recently came out of retirement to announce the final Studio Ghibli film.

Studio Ghibli is the Japanese studio responsible for many iconic anime films such as Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke and others.

Miyazaki and his crew have created magnificent films that I love.

However, Miyazaki's son, Goro, recently made Studio Ghibli's first CGI film. The title of the new film is Aya To Majo (Earwig And The Witch) which is inspired by the novel written by the same person who wrote the Howl's Moving Castle novel. The film was a huge flop since it didn't have the Ghibli charm that was present in the other films. And I thought Aya To Majo was gonna be the last Ghibli film, I was wrong... Kinda.

Now, Hayao Miyazaki announced the final Ghibli film, Kimi-Tachi Wa Dō Ikiru Ka (How Do You Live). The film will be inspired by the 1937 novel by Yoshino Genzaburo, which is also called Kimi-Tachi Wa Dō Ikiru Ka (How Do You Live).

In case you haven't read the title, I am not ready for this film to come out. It is going to release in 2023 (I think), I would be 12 at that time. I am a huge fan of Ghibli films, and I am not ready for their final film. They have been on the anime scene since 1984 when Kaze No Tani No Nausicaä (Nausicaä Of The Valley Of The Wind) came out. They've even won a legit Oscar with their 2001 masterpiece Sen To Chihiro No Kamikakushi (Spirited Away). I am probably going to cry while watching the film, even if it's a happy one. I'm not crying because of the film itself, but I'm crying because it's the last film we will get from this amazing studio.

I will see Kimi-Tachi Wa Dō Ikiru Ka (How Do You Live) even if I'm not into anime at that time. I will watch every Studio Ghibli film. So far I've completed two of their films, Omoide No Marnie (When Marnie Was There) and Sen To Chihiro No Kamikakushi (Spirited Away), but I'm currently watching the rest of their films. I'm almost done with Majo No Takkyuubin (Kiki's Delivery Service). I will watch the final Ghibli film.
melodi_bunniezDec 6, 2021 7:04 AM
Dec 6, 2021 7:09 AM

Mar 2020
I don't know what to tell you buddy...
It's a shame if you're a big fan of them, I don't really care since I don't like their movies that much but I can see why people would be heartbroken.
Dec 6, 2021 7:12 AM
Oct 2021
Tendo_GM said:
I don't know what to tell you buddy...
It's a shame if you're a big fan of them, I don't really care since I don't like their movies that much but I can see why people would be heartbroken.
It's okay that you don't like their films! Not everyone loves those types of films! As long as you like the anime films you enjoy, I'm happy for you!
Dec 6, 2021 7:16 AM

Apr 2018
I am excited to see the final ghibli movie.

Dec 6, 2021 7:17 AM

Sep 2020
Yaa Super excited for Hayao Miyazaki's (The legend) last movie.

As of now I have watched 15 Ghibli movies haven't watched Splited away though 😋.
Dec 6, 2021 7:35 AM

Dec 2020
Not a really big fan though only watched the 4 famous ghibli movies but will see how the legend ends.

For your Information:

Dec 6, 2021 8:16 AM

Apr 2018
Don't worry, Miyazaki has come in and out of retirement probably as many times as The Undertaker. He'll eventually crank out another movie when he needs more money.
Dec 6, 2021 8:28 AM

Oct 2010
I am not prepared for any ghibli movies, miyazaki is too old in my opinion to make interesting anime
Dec 6, 2021 9:14 AM

Jul 2015
He will just come back for another one
Dec 6, 2021 9:19 AM

Jul 2015
Well, I haven't seen any of their movies so I am not sure if Ghibli is that much of a good studio or not.
Dec 6, 2021 9:21 AM

Mar 2015
Miyazaki has made his last film like 20 times by now. At this point I think after he dies he will revive like every 10 years to make another movie.
Dec 6, 2021 9:24 AM

Jul 2017
Don't worry my man. You also won't be ready for next last Ghibli film, as well as the next one after that and so on.

Dec 6, 2021 9:25 AM

Feb 2020
Catalano said:
I am not prepared for any ghibli movies, miyazaki is too old in my opinion to make interesting anime

i don't know if it's because he is too old.
but he should spare me with his personal hobbies.
a little bit is always cool, but "The Wind Rises" was just too much.
yeah i get it, he likes planes and flying.

and his environment morality is every single of his movies is also tiring.

Dec 6, 2021 9:26 AM

Aug 2018
don't worry, he won't stop making movies until a Ponyo sequel comes out
Dec 6, 2021 10:10 AM
Jul 2018
Hello youngster, Ghibli movies are very nostalgic when watched in childhood. I am also not ready for the last Miyazaki film.
Dec 6, 2021 10:14 AM
Oct 2020
Not a really big fan of Ghibli movies, though I hope his last direction does well
Dec 6, 2021 12:43 PM

Jun 2015
Thread moved from Anime Discussion to Anime Series Discussion.
Dec 25, 2021 5:07 AM

Oct 2016
Is it really the last Ghibli film? Like will the studios not do anymore films if Miyazaki is not present?
Dec 25, 2021 5:15 AM

Oct 2021
eulaisbae said:
don't worry, he won't stop making movies until a Ponyo sequel comes out

Attackonfiller said:
Don't worry my man. You also won't be ready for next last Ghibli film, as well as the next one after that and so on.

wisdom level 90000+
Mar 22, 2022 7:01 AM

Mar 2013
SoftPastel_YT said:
Hayao Miyazaki recently came out of retirement to announce the final Studio Ghibli film.

SoftPastel_YT said:
Now, Hayao Miyazaki announced the final Ghibli film

Is this really, really true? Saying this is the studio's final film is a bold claim to make. If this was confirmed true it would be all over the animation news, ANN etc.
Jun 24, 2022 11:11 PM
Jan 2017
Stygian_Prisoner said:
Don't worry, Miyazaki has come in and out of retirement probably as many times as The Undertaker. He'll eventually crank out another movie when he needs more money.

guys a millionaire, he has enough money to last him till he dies by now. he probably just has a directors need to, well direct moves. it's like how painters, even when they're mental health aint the best or when they're on their final straw of life they crank out a piece. addiction i guess.
Sep 11, 2022 4:55 PM

Apr 2018
Massdrop said:
Stygian_Prisoner said:

guys a millionaire, he has enough money to last him till he dies by now. he probably just has a directors need to, well direct moves. it's like how painters, even when they're mental health aint the best or when they're on their final straw of life they crank out a piece. addiction i guess.

It's not an addiction. Artistic people just have a drive to create. Making art is as necessary as breathing.
Sep 26, 2022 7:06 PM
Feb 2019
meganium said:
SoftPastel_YT said:

SoftPastel_YT said:
Now, Hayao Miyazaki announced the final Ghibli film

Is this really, really true? Saying this is the studio's final film is a bold claim to make. If this was confirmed true it would be all over the animation news, ANN etc.

It was certainly big news in the late 2010s, when it was announced.

I personally have no idea what to expect at this point (from either the film or the production process); at least there seem to be official progress updates every 1-2 years, which is a positive sign. Most productions that take this long stall out and end up as memetic fodder and/or all-but-cancelled - see Girl's Work, Despera, Yume-Miru Kikai, Mirai Arise, or Aoki Uru, which coincidentally has a planned release date of 2022.
Oct 9, 2022 9:23 PM
Oct 2022
In one way or another, Hayao Miyazaki due to his old age would definitely stop making Studio Ghibli movies. I just hope that whoever holds the next torch would continue (or improve) his legacy. He is such a legend.
For more anime and movie contents follow and subscribe to my Movie Review Blog
Oct 28, 2022 2:06 PM

Nov 2007
The movie is completing soon, and there might be information including date coming soon.
https://topics.smt.docomo.ne.jp/article/chuspo/entertainment/chuspo-572128

July 14, 2023
https://natalie.mu/comic/news/504910

July 3, 2024 release
https://natalie.mu/comic/news/571020
tsubasaloverApr 25, 7:18 PM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Dec 12, 2022 11:57 PM

Mar 2021
I thought he retired after making Princess Mononoke, but then he made a comeback, so I don't know if the next one will be his last.

To begin with, his son is also making movies at Ghibli, so even if Hayao Miyazaki retires and doesn't make any films, I think Ghibli will continue to make movies in the future.

I just found out the release date of the next movie on twitter, so I'm going to watch it now, but I'm kind of nervous about it.

Dec 15, 2022 12:49 AM

Dec 2018
Really hope it’s a bold and wondrous last hurrah ^.^
Dec 23, 2022 9:39 PM

Jul 2021
It's not the last Ghibli film but the last Miyazaki film, there's tons of non-Miyazaki Ghibli films by his son and coworker. 

Considering the name and sinopsis, this DOES feel like his final movie.
Jan 3, 2023 5:00 PM

Aug 2017
I love Hayao Miyazaki's work and am glad to see he's once again back for a final movie.

But let's be honest, Goro's movies were bad to average and CGI's are soulless so it's no surprise the studio has to close.

Don't be sad because it'll be over, their movies will keep living.
Jan 3, 2023 5:01 PM
Dec 2017
Its going to be ending off with a bang hopefully.

Jan 4, 2023 1:27 AM

Mar 2021
Oh well
Lets hope that his final movie is a banger
Jan 4, 2023 10:04 AM
Nov 2020
sxft_pqstls said:

Studio Ghibli is the Japanese studio responsible for many iconic anime films such as Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke and others.

However, Miyazaki's son, Goro, recently made Studio Ghibli's first CGI film. The title of the new film is Aya To Majo (Earwig And The Witch) which is inspired by the novel written by the same person who wrote the Howl's Moving Castle novel. The film was a huge flop since it didn't have the Ghibli charm that was present in the other films. And I thought Aya To Majo was gonna be the last Ghibli film, I was wrong... Kinda.

Now, Hayao Miyazaki announced the final Ghibli film, Kimi-Tachi Wa Dō Ikiru Ka (How Do You Live). The film will be inspired by the 1937 novel by Yoshino Genzaburo, which is also called Kimi-Tachi Wa Dō Ikiru Ka (How Do You Live).

In case you haven't read the title, I am not ready for this film to come out. It is going to release in 2023 (I think), I would be 12 at that time. I am a huge fan of Ghibli films, and I am not ready for their final film. They have been on the anime scene since 1984 when Kaze No Tani No Nausicaä (Nausicaä Of The Valley Of The Wind) came out. They've even won a legit Oscar with their 2001 masterpiece Sen To Chihiro No Kamikakushi (Spirited Away). I am probably going to cry while watching the film, even if it's a happy one. I'm not crying because of the film itself, but I'm crying because  it's the last film we will get from this amazing studio.

I will see Kimi-Tachi Wa Dō Ikiru Ka (How Do You Live) even if I'm not into anime at that time. I will watch every Studio Ghibli film. So far I've completed two of their films, Omoide No Marnie (When Marnie Was There) and Sen To Chihiro No Kamikakushi (Spirited Away), but I'm currently watching the rest of their films. I'm almost done with Majo No Takkyuubin (Kiki's Delivery Service). I will watch the final Ghibli film.
There is a famous saying something like 'with age comes wisdom' but in my opinion sometimes that wisdom can be very very toxic. If you don't recognise your own creation, how can you expect that anyone will appreciate it?. The comments Mr Hayao made about the use of CGI that it is an insult to life itself reminds me of an old, worn out surgeon me and my friend encountered in our med school days. We were attending a seminar related to the use of robotics and other laparoscopic procedures in surgeries and there was a surgeon sitting beside us in the audience who had been retired for years and you can expect what's his opinion would be. He literally said that the use of robots is an insult to the patients and believe if that old man ever made such comments publicly there will definitely be a huge backlash and there is possibility that he will be banned to attend such seminars. Now come to the use of CGI.. people should realise one thing that it is even more difficulty involved when it comes to use of such techniques in animations and even though you put your 100% effort results can't be the same as expected.. Take Chainsaw Man for example.. even though anime itself is not bad at all but still receives some backlash from dedicated manga readers just because the animators didn't draw certain facial expressions the same way as in manga. So people should realise that use of technology doesn't mean that things would be easier in fact it involves a lot of skill and hard work and comments made by Mr Hayao made are very insensitive and insulating to those animators in my opinion.
Jan 5, 2023 11:58 AM
Jan 2021
Even though I have never watched Miyazaki films LoL I am kinda getting excited over this
Jan 28, 2023 12:18 AM

Sep 2020
ZXEAN said:
Yaa Super excited for Hayao Miyazaki's (The legend) last movie.

As of now I have watched 15 Ghibli movies haven't watched Splited away though 😋.
Finally completed watching all major Ghibli movies. Except Tonari no Yamada-kun and Aya To Majo which I am not interested in watching as of now

Patiently waiting for 'How do you live'.
May 29, 2023 9:13 PM
Jan 2021
I don’t know if this’ll be his last considering his history, but if he truly is retiring, this is truly sad.
Jun 6, 2023 1:37 AM

Nov 2019
Catalano said:

You still laugh at anime boobs joke and tell people Hayao Miyazaki is too old, lol
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Jul 3, 2023 3:33 AM
Jul 2021
I'm so nervous about this movie. It's coming out in 11 days and with no promotional material NO ONE is talking about it, hell, I think this will release with many not even knowing aboutb it.
I do think that with Miyazaki's legacy will create some sort of buz in Japan, but I see this flopping hard internationally if there's no marketing at all.
The only saving grace I see is that the movie is so incredible that it creates enough of a movement to become a sensation by itself. Unfortunately, I doubt this movie will click with main stream audiences, considering the director and his philosophy, and current audiences which I think would have been less interested in the movies Ghible produced in the past.
Appart from all this, I hope, and this is something I hope for my own self, that this movie is a genuinely great movie, reminiscent of his last movie Kaze Tachino, which I hold dear to this day.
And that's it, I needed to get this of my chest, and we'll see in two weeks what the reception is in Japan.
Jul 3, 2023 3:34 AM

Apr 2021
Well, I'm waiting for it and hoping for a good opus.
I did not appreciate Kaze Tachinu that much and did not like the idea of it being the last Miyazaki's film.
I don't dare expecting for a Mononoke Hime level of perfection but do hope at least for a good film to server as closure for his impressive career (better than Kayuga was for Takahata).
Jul 13, 2023 11:29 AM
Apr 2022
sxft_pqstls said:

In case you haven't read the title, I am not ready for this film to come out. It is going to release in 2023 (I think), I would be 12 at that time. I am a huge fan of Ghibli films, and I am not ready for their final film. They have been on the anime scene since 1984 when Kaze No Tani No Nausicaä (Nausicaä Of The Valley Of The Wind) came out. They've even won a legit Oscar with their 2001 masterpiece Sen To Chihiro No Kamikakushi (Spirited Away). I am probably going to cry while watching the film, even if it's a happy one. I'm not crying because of the film itself, but I'm crying because it's the last film we will get from this amazing studio.

I was a kid when I watched SPIRITED AWAY....and it was likely 8 years ago and still it's in my TOP 10 FAVS

I'm mentally not ready.....GHIBLI STUDIO is an emotion

if you are not grown up with MIYAZAKI's movies you won't know how HEART BREAKING it is
Jul 13, 2023 7:11 PM

Nov 2007
Casts
Theme: "Chikyuugi (地球儀)" by Kenshi Yonezu
https://natalie.mu/comic/news/532839
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jul 14, 2023 12:10 AM

Sep 2015
I'll be there no matter what
Jul 14, 2023 8:50 PM
Aug 2018
To all the people who say they're "not really big fans" of Ghibli and that they've only seen "the famous ones", I urge them to watch some more films from Ghibli.

Because I was like that.

Then Covid came, and I thought why the hell not get on with this, and watched most of their movies. To be honest, their "least known" movies are the ones I enjoyed the most, which is why I urge people to watch more Ghibli films. Spirited Away, Mononoke and Naussica are all good and all, but I don't think they're the best.
Whisper of the Heart, Tale of Princess Kaguya, When Marnie was there... Those are some of the ones I truly enjoyed a lot
Jul 14, 2023 9:24 PM
Apr 2022
Watched all ghibli movies. Super exited to see how LEGEND ends.
Jul 15, 2023 5:40 AM

Aug 2020
It is finally here. I'm curious to see how it is...

Jul 15, 2023 5:51 AM
Jan 2015
sxft_pqstls said:
However, Miyazaki's son, Goro, recently made Studio Ghibli's first CGI film. The title of the new film is Aya To Majo (Earwig And The Witch) which is inspired by the novel written by the same person who wrote the Howl's Moving Castle novel. The film was a huge flop
Do we know it was a flop? It was a made for TV movie without a regular cinema run.
Aug 10, 2023 7:33 PM

Dec 2009
Is this movie good?...
I've barely watch few Ghibli movies, but the fact that this isn't an original work and an adaptation from another source that he's creating, along with the story itself... 
it doesn't sound that good or interesting rather... 

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kimitachi wa Dou Ikiru ka Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

__potato__ - Jul 14, 2023

71 by LoveLikeBlood »»
May 1, 8:38 AM

» North America Home Video Release in 4K/Blu-Ray

AddaeAkono - Apr 29

0 by AddaeAkono »»
Apr 29, 8:29 AM

» Releasing in India

Aryu1410 - Apr 26

2 by Aryu1410 »»
Apr 27, 11:11 PM

» Opened to $74.1M 5-day weekend in China

OvergrownRover - Apr 7

6 by Mohamed_Salim »»
Apr 15, 5:24 AM

» Arriving on Netflix

Aryu1410 - Mar 23

5 by riksuave »»
Mar 26, 1:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.