Forum Settings
Forums

Which Self insert mcs you just can not stand to watch?

New
Oct 18, 2021 9:28 AM

Mar 2020
Inspired by this thread https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1965569&show=0#post9
Since there are plenty nowdays which ones you hate no... dislike most?
Oct 18, 2021 9:29 AM
Jul 2018
Yui from Diabolik Lovers. Then again that's exactly why the show was made.
removed-userOct 18, 2021 9:32 AM
Oct 18, 2021 9:34 AM

Sep 2018
This may be a hot take, but I can't stand bland shoujo protags like that of fruits basket fem c.
Oct 18, 2021 9:37 AM

Mar 2020
rohan121 said:
This may be a hot take, but I can't stand bland shoujo protags like that of fruits basket fem c.

I suggest close your dms and profile comments for next 2 days xd
Oct 18, 2021 9:39 AM
Dec 2017
rohan121 said:

Skip Beat really broke the trend and i'd love to see mcs like that.

Oct 18, 2021 7:23 PM
Jan 2018
Someone already said it but the average stock shoujo protagonists like in Fruits Basket are insufferable. Moreso than standard LN power fantasy protagonists. Nothing is worse than having someone just let everyone use and walk all over them whilst they don't develop or even stick up for themselves. Why these in particular are so popular is something I'll never know. Maid-sama is similar in a sense as well except Usui is genuinely someone that'd be on an offenders register.
Oct 18, 2021 10:57 PM

Aug 2017
Sieg is the absolute worst for me because he completely stole the spotlight from the cooler necromancer biker dude in Fate/Apocrypha
Oct 18, 2021 11:11 PM

Mar 2019
Any self insert mc tbh. They are the evilest people, who never come clear with who they actually love and never give girls answers to keep them hanging. They never want the girls to move on or fall in love with someone else.

Anime was it's best 20000 years ago, when cavemen drew art with real depth.
Modern anime is all garbage. I miss great old days of anime.
Oct 18, 2021 11:25 PM

Mar 2020
Hikigaya Hachiman (Oregairu) and Ayanokouji (Classroom of the elite) are objectively the most cringe characters in the history of the whole world and literature, no one can say anything different, if you do you’re factually wrong.
Oct 18, 2021 11:43 PM

Mar 2020
Tendo_GM said:
Hikigaya Hachiman (Oregairu) and Ayanokouji (Classroom of the elite) are objectively the most cringe characters in the history of the whole world and literature, no one can say anything different, if you do you’re factually wrong.

And they are somehow two of the most popular non isekai Light novels in japan currently for some reason their taste is really interesting to say atleast
Oct 19, 2021 12:06 AM

May 2018
Not sure if Naofumi aka The Shield Hero is supposed to be the self-insert type but I hate this guy with passion.
Also almost every MC who's story screams "This is your power fantasy, right?". Usually the writers have really lame ideas what moments of empowerment should be like.
Oct 19, 2021 12:07 AM

Nov 2014
MCs of Arifureta and Darwins Game (heck, I dont even want to remember their names) are the cringiest self-insert MCs I've ever seen
Oct 19, 2021 12:34 AM

Mar 2015
All of the hentai self insert protags, especially the ones that don't even have a visible face.
Oct 19, 2021 1:11 AM

Mar 2020
AnimeFA78N said:
Tendo_GM said:

And they are somehow two of the most popular non isekai Light novels in japan currently for some reason their taste is really interesting to say atleast
So?
Japan has proven that their LN taste is trash by making Sword Art Online one of the best selling LNs of all time
Oct 19, 2021 1:15 AM
Jul 2018
Self insert MCs are so predictable and annoying.
They make me hit them with a truck
Oct 19, 2021 1:20 AM

Mar 2020
Tendo_GM said:
AnimeFA78N said:

So?
Japan has proven that their LN taste is trash by making Sword Art Online one of the best selling LNs of all time

Yeah i am not defending them incase you misunderstood i am just pointing out their weird taste which is why i am saying when it comes their taste they are really weird and very very different from rest of the world
Oct 19, 2021 1:23 AM

Feb 2021
The spineless whimp mc from Love and Lies and the brain-dead masochistic mc from Diabolik Lovers, among others.
Oct 19, 2021 1:45 AM

Aug 2020
Tendo_GM said:
AnimeFA78N said:

So?

It's best selling tho not one of the best lmao .
Oct 19, 2021 1:51 AM
Jul 2018
Pretty much all the protagonists from low-tier isekais make me want to scrape my eyeballs out.
They are practically carbon copies of each other but with slightly different looks. It boggles my mind how unoriginal some creators can be. Isekai can be good but the laziness of some of the authors in the genre is awful.
Oct 19, 2021 1:57 AM

Mar 2020
Lavi_kun said:
Tendo_GM said:
So?

Well, close enough, Haruhi Suzumiya is the best selling one with Monogatari right after it, SAO is third which is still really bad for Japan’s image
Oct 19, 2021 2:00 AM

Mar 2020
Tendo_GM said:
Lavi_kun said:

Well, close enough, Haruhi Suzumiya is the best selling one with Monogatari right after it, SAO is third which is still really bad for Japan’s image

I think Index series also have Sao in beat in japan
Oct 19, 2021 2:02 AM

Aug 2020
Tendo_GM said:
Lavi_kun said:

Oh yeah I totally forgot about them lol .
Oct 19, 2021 2:13 AM

Jul 2020
Overly intelligent MC like Senku from Dr stone. I'd say Senku is the equivalent of Gary Stu which most of the fans seem to ignore completely.
I've seen fans who say they feel smart just by watching the Anime and also say that they have learnt more in Dr stone than they have in 12 years of Schooling. Pretty sure they are the same one's who haven't been to school and are shut-ins.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Oct 19, 2021 2:43 AM

Apr 2020
i hate cocky bastards
especially the one from 'problem children from another world' or something, i don't really remember

Oct 19, 2021 3:07 AM

Mar 2020
AnimeFA78N said:
Tendo_GM said:

I think Index series also have Sao in beat in japan

It’s in 4th place, right after it, but maybe it shifted recently
https://jw-webmagazine.com/best-light-novels/
Oct 19, 2021 5:00 AM
Jul 2018
I love how the person above me said Japan has trash taste while manga, anime and light novel were made especially for Japanese audience. Also why some MAL users are so obsessed with objectivity.
Oct 19, 2021 10:31 PM

May 2019
The Kirito archetype of protagonist.
yo
Oct 20, 2021 8:35 AM

Mar 2020
The MC from Isekai Smartphone, that guy himself is the epitome of a self-insert character
Oct 22, 2021 12:47 AM

Aug 2020
If I can tell they're a self-insert, I already don't like them

「 𝕂𝕖𝕪 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝕙𝕚𝕕𝕖𝕤 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕔𝕖𝕤 𝕠𝕗 𝕕𝕒𝕣𝕜𝕟𝕖𝕤𝕤, 𝕤𝕙𝕠𝕨 𝕞𝕖 𝕪𝕠𝕦𝕣 𝕥𝕣𝕦𝕖 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕞 」

Oct 22, 2021 2:16 AM

Sep 2020
kirito, yikes, just yikes, being overpowered without no development at all, and creates all the death seed to isekai genre trope being more of similar shit is coming and far more worser
Oct 22, 2021 8:59 AM

Feb 2016
The exceedingly annoying or stupid ones.
But even the self-inserts I don't hate are difficult to relate to e.g. Clannad and Haruhi Suzumiya.
その目だれの目?
Jul 23, 2022 8:21 AM
Jul 2022
Tendo_GM said:

Only anime-onlys tend to greatly dislike Ayanokouji's character, and calling him the most cringe even with his anime portrayal I think is still hyperbole (probably because I dislike the typical screeching shounen MC). I find it uncharitable to say he's one of the worst LN characters too when it's clearly not the case. I'm not urging you to read it, but if you did you would find the appeal.
Jul 26, 2022 4:28 PM

Nov 2013
The pseudointellectual "literally me" types. Hachiman, Ayanokouji, Oreki, you know it. Also Kaneki-tier edgelords. Docile harem protagonist are also annoying.

zimofafrica said:

Only anime-onlys tend to greatly dislike Ayanokouji's character, and calling him the most cringe even with his anime portrayal I think is still hyperbole (probably because I dislike the typical screeching shounen MC). I find it uncharitable to say he's one of the worst LN characters too when it's clearly not the case. I'm not urging you to read it, but if you did you would find the appeal.
As a novel reader, he's still awful. Maybe even more obnoxious than in the anime. What is the appeal supposed to be, according to you?

AnimeFA78N said:
Tendo_GM said:

Popularity does not prove quality. In fact it makes complete sense that LNs with mostly teenager readers are popular if they have self-insert MC.
abystoma2Jul 27, 2022 1:31 AM
You all need to watch Nami.

Jul 26, 2022 4:42 PM

Dec 2015
Pax_Cruento said:
Sieg is the absolute worst for me because he completely stole the spotlight from the cooler necromancer biker dude in Fate/Apocrypha

Hahhaa, rofl, i love you, thanks for making me laugh my ass of.

I like your style!

Jul 26, 2022 8:45 PM
Jul 2022
abystoma2 said:
The pseudointellectual "literally me" types.H achiman, Ayanokouji, Oreki, you know it. Also Kaneki-tier edgelords. Docile harem protagonist are also annoying.

zimofafrica said:

As a novel reader, he's still awful. Maybe even more obnoxious than in the anime. What is the appeal supposed to be, according to you?

AnimeFA78N said:

Popularity does not prove quality. In fact it makes complete sense that LNs with mostly teenager readers are popular if they have self-insert MC.

I guess it's just not to your taste then.
Jul 26, 2022 8:47 PM
Mar 2021
Kazuya, Rudeus, many cliches Main Charracters.
Jul 26, 2022 9:04 PM

Jan 2022
Satou drom Death March, else you can find them in Shoujo/Romance mangas.
Jul 26, 2022 9:19 PM

Aug 2018
self inserts usually don't bother me too much because they're made to be as inoffensive as possible after all. But Naofumi from Shield hero really pisses me off. He's written in such a way as to feed the ego of narcissists with persecution complexes.
Jul 27, 2022 12:39 AM
Feb 2022
abystoma2 said:
The pseudointellectual "literally me" types.H achiman, Ayanokouji, Oreki, you know it. Also Kaneki-tier edgelords. Docile harem protagonist are also annoying.

zimofafrica said:

AnimeFA78N said:

Bros a whole scoipath, talking about "he literally me" those are just edgy teenagers who tends to idolize character like kouji,johan,light
Jul 27, 2022 7:50 AM
Feb 2022
Tendo_GM said:
AnimeFA78N said:

So?

"OMG how dare they like something I deemed as trash"
Jul 27, 2022 12:19 PM
Jul 2022
The only self-insert character I know is Keyaru, and I fucking love that guy.
Jul 27, 2022 1:25 PM

Mar 2020
kiyogawa said:
Tendo_GM said:
So?

Yup, a completely subjective forum thread with completely subjective comments and completely subjective replies.
What’s your point?
Jul 27, 2022 1:42 PM
Feb 2022
Tendo_GM said:
kiyogawa said:

Yup, a completely subjective forum thread with completely subjective comments and completely subjective replies.
What’s your point?

Can't really say japan has "trash taste" because they like something that you deemed as trash.
Jul 28, 2022 12:09 AM

Mar 2020
kiyogawa said:
Tendo_GM said:

What’s your point?

Can't really say japan has "trash taste" because they like something that you deemed as trash.

Yes I can… do you not understand simple sentence constructs? Like the fact that those are my words and my opinions that my fingers wrote down therefore it’s all my views.
Nobody is talking about objectivity or anything, if I say something is bad that because I think it’s bad, if you say something is good that’s because you think it’s good.

If you’re so fucking butthurt please don’t reply anymore since I’m bored from explaining basic rules of human language to you since every sentence seems to go over your head cause they’re too complex for you.
Jul 28, 2022 12:39 AM
Feb 2022
Tendo_GM said:
kiyogawa said:

Yes I can… do you not understand simple sentence constructs? Like the fact that those are my words and my opinions that my fingers wrote down therefore it’s all my views.
Nobody is talking about objectivity or anything, if I say something is bad that because I think it’s bad, if you say something is good that’s because you think it’s good.

If you’re so fucking butthurt please don’t reply anymore since I’m bored from explaining basic rules of human language to you since every sentence seems to go over your head cause they’re too complex for you.

You sound like an elitist when you said that, I simply saying there no such thing as bad taste,
Jul 28, 2022 2:38 AM

Mar 2020
kiyogawa said:
Tendo_GM said:

You sound like an elitist when you said that, I simply saying there no such thing as bad taste,

Yes there is… you’re confused about the idea of subjectivity =/= objectivity which is a pretty simple concept.
There is nothing objective on this planet that is accompanied by words “bad” or “good” because those adjectives themselves aren’t objective, “bad” and “good” come from subjective points of view and those words don’t exist outside a human’s perception. There is nothing in the nature or the cosmos that is objectively “bad”, starts dying out galaxies collapsing, planets being consumed by stars, animals eating each other, rivers destroying forests, none of those are objectively “bad” as nature doesn’t have that opinion, nor does it have an opinion of “good”.
Bad and good only exist inside human dialogue and can’t be used as descriptions for objectivity or facts, so everything humans describe as “good” and “bad” is only their perception of it, so the existence of “bad taste” is exclusive to subjective opinions.
So “bad taste” is an existing substance cause it’s the product of human’s mind, so if the mind exist, the term exists cause it describes the mind.
Therefore every conversation containing “bad” is only subjective and cannot be objective.

More topics from this board

» Things you are jealous of in anime

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

49 by Zimmu »»
11 seconds ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - Yesterday

44 by Gensouori »»
2 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 9 hours ago

47 by LoveYourEyes »»
9 minutes ago

» Describe an anime in a funny way.

NOTAGLOWIE - Mar 2, 2022

36 by Lhundrup »»
10 minutes ago

» Which are the cutest anime girl pout scenes ? (not fan arts but real scenes)

DarkGamerA - Jul 8, 2022

21 by Horshu »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.