Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 16, 2021 8:58 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Welp, we got more characters being introduced with their skills being shown in battles. Hiyori is probably the most noticable although I find it hard to take her seriously.She does have a degree of intensity in her personality though.

In contrast, Teruto seemed much more focused and serious in his strategies. Imo, he actually makes quite an impression.
Oct 16, 2021 10:27 AM

Jul 2017
EGOIST's OP definitely sounds a lot different than her usual repertoire, and Memai SIREN's ED is just OK.

Teruto seems like a lifeless person who knows how to play the game but lives such a shitty life. It's such that someone like Sakura shows him the ropes around Neo Kyoto that everyone is dependent on Build-Divide, even in school to find challengers for a start.

And it does not take long for them to find one: 2nd Year Hiyori Munehashi, and the same stratagems as is with any card game series ensues (bear in mind that this will be very repetitive for majority of the show).

When Teruto gets all serious, he shows his best as always. Bloom is pretty much like the Dark Magician Girl equivalent in the similar vein of things for Teruto, and everyone has their own Blue Eyes, White Dragon version of that too as their Ace to save themselves from losing. Hiyori's the Lonely Blue Bird taken as an apprentice.

Quite the impressive progress if you live in Japan, and are dying to try out Build Divide for yourself. For everyone else, it just reeks of promo material decency.
Oct 16, 2021 11:04 AM

Jan 2021
Hiyori is adorable. If anything happens to her I will kill everyone who posts in this thread and then myself.

On a more serious note, I actually kind of appreciate the stones on this show to focus so much of both its current episodes to just battling. Considering we only have 12 to work with, it doesn't actually have that much time to flesh out its story. Personally I appreciate that direction, as the battle writing so far has been pretty kickass, but I just hope the plot isn't going to suffer for it. Not having any turns skipped is very much a good thing, though.
Oct 16, 2021 11:42 AM
May 2021
EGOIST rolled another BANGer with this OP - Fall 2021 must be the season for OPs cause I've come across a handful of fire ones (e.g., 86 and World's Finest Assassin)!

Ammokkx said:
Hiyori is adorable. If anything happens to her I will kill everyone who posts in this thread and then myself.

On a more serious note, I actually kind of appreciate the stones on this show to focus so much of both its current episodes to just battling. Considering we only have 12 to work with, it doesn't actually have that much time to flesh out its story. Personally I appreciate that direction, as the battle writing so far has been pretty kickass, but I just hope the plot isn't going to suffer for it. Not having any turns skipped is very much a good thing, though.
I certainly see your point on how the plot progression could possibly be impeded if the majority of each episode is just one battle after another. Since the battles are obviously crucial for our MC to get to the King, however, they are necessary for the progression of the plot. Furthermore, there will be a 2nd cour so we actually have 24 episodes total - hopefully that will be enough to prevent the plot from suffering!
Oct 16, 2021 11:56 AM

Jan 2021
xohkim said:
I certainly see your point on how the plot progression could possibly be impeded if the majority of each episode is just one battle after another. Since the battles are obviously crucial for our MC to get to the King, however, they are necessary for the progression of the plot. Furthermore, there will be a 2nd cour so we actually have 24 episodes total - hopefully that will be enough to prevent the plot from suffering!

From the trailer I was expecting more of a Wixoss approach, where most of it is kind of glossed over so they could properly pace out their story. Even with 24 episodes that's still only half of something like, say, Battle Spirits Shounen Gekiha Dan. Don't take that as me complaining though; again, if they can make it work, I think I'll be enjoying myself pretty thoroughly here. It's just that 2 one-cours isn't too terribly much space to work with, and card game shows tend to benefit from having a bit more time to cook its plot (unless you're vanguard, in which case you really want to toss out half the episodes).
Oct 16, 2021 12:26 PM

Jun 2021
Ammokkx said:
Not having any turns skipped is very much a good thing, though.

This is such a underappreciated element. Part of why I ditched Shadowverse was because, just as I was getting invested in the game, they'd skip over large chunks of it and change everything up. It kept taking me out.
Oct 16, 2021 12:32 PM
Sep 2015
Very interesting take on flashback scene technique. Usually 21:9 ratio is used for flashback scene in anime to create cinematic atmosphere, but this episode use 4:3 ratio which is a traditional ratio for analog TV show.
Oct 16, 2021 1:11 PM
Aug 2015
Really enjoyable episode. I thought Hiyori would be more of a generic genki moeblob but she has a good mix of lovable idiot +hypereccentricity to her personality that kind of break the mold of that archetype. A lot of credit goes to Koga Aoi too, her voice acting really brings a lot to the character. The duel was very enjoyable showcasing some nice situations that would emulate TCGs in real life (like the part where Hiyori whiffed the Buster card on her Territory's skill) or the end where she decided to play it safe instead of going all in which would have won her the match. I liked that she lost not because Teruto was better but because of her own insecurity and fear of losing. And her cards perfectly symbolize what she wishes to achieve: friends to rely on and grow strong with. This is the kind of stuff a good card game does. We found a bit more about the world too, it's fascinating that the game is 400 years old. That's crazy. I wonder if it will come up later. OP/ED are absolute bangers too. All in all, I'm very happy this show exists. I haven't been this excited for a card game anime in a good while.
Oct 16, 2021 1:26 PM
Mar 2021
Cant believe that kouhai chan confused being called baby bird as a nickname rather than an insult, she is so optimistic.
Oct 16, 2021 1:33 PM

Jan 2021
Flowercityweeb said:
Cant believe that kouhai chan confused being called baby bird as a nickname rather than an insult, she is so optimistic.

She's adorable and precious is what she is.
Oct 16, 2021 1:55 PM
Jul 2018
good opening is with the card fights getting good with the cards that are played, Teruto can come out well in all battles that is already part of it.
Oct 16, 2021 4:38 PM
Ooga Booga

Jul 2020
More insight and more characters, one or two more episodes until it really begins I guess

smoochie smoochie

Oct 16, 2021 9:47 PM

Aug 2011
Looks like the one hp life comeback is traditional as always.

The anime is just one big promo but it'll be interesting to see if it really does bring people in and stick with it.

I found out there's actual cards made but not officially release but it surprising if they also wanted to do a TCG online version of build divide.
Oct 17, 2021 4:53 AM

Apr 2011
Being able to attack on the first turn seems pretty OP imo. Imagine you have such bad luck that you get a burst trigger and go to 8 life before even having a turn. RIP.

Hiyori is definitely intense but I think it will be a nice contrast to Teruto and Sakura who seem to have very low key personalities. She also brings a bit of colour to the episodes and her deck archetype is cool (I may just be biased because I like yellows though).

Another pro from this episode is that I was able to follow the battle a bit more. It's kinda like Duel Masters meets Vanguard to me??
Oct 17, 2021 2:36 PM

May 2018
Good opening. Cringe anime.
Oct 18, 2021 3:29 AM

Oct 2008
EGOIST OP is truly a BANGer this time! nice!

Oct 18, 2021 6:56 AM

Feb 2019
While the opening was admittedly quite stylish, this show is fucking stupid. "Hyperdemocracy" is the most idiotic concept I've ever heard, doubly so when it resembles neither democracy nor being hyper.

The fact that it feels it has the time to waste giving an exact play-by-play of every single event in the game rather than using that time to characterise anyone or exposit anything important is just pathetic.

Add onto that the fact this is a split-double-cour, even though there's barely enough material for a few episodes, and this'll no doubt get even worse later on. Dropped.
Well I for one already loved Lain.
Oct 18, 2021 11:59 AM

Apr 2015
Without the card battles this could have been a juvenile, shallow but fun show, unfortunately we have them so we have a juvenile, shallow show with 10 minutes of boring drivel every episode.

MC spitting those super edgy lines every other minute or so is really funny but somewhat endearing for some reason, I'm actually liking him so far
Oct 20, 2021 4:26 PM

Jan 2008
I have a question: Hiyori bet one chip, but Teruto bet 3. And he won, so he got 4.
Why is this possible? There doesn't seem to be any benefit to betting more then your opponent.

Oh, and I agree: if anything happens to Hoyori, I'm killing everyone on this forum, and then myself.
Oct 20, 2021 4:49 PM
Aug 2015
DmonHiro said:
I have a question: Hiyori bet one chip, but Teruto bet 3. And he won, so he got 4.
Why is this possible? There doesn't seem to be any benefit to betting more then your opponent.

Oh, and I agree: if anything happens to Hoyori, I'm killing everyone on this forum, and then myself.

I think Teruto's just got a few screws loose and will go all out on something/bet everything he has and he seems to enjoy it. The guy is a weirdo in many ways. The original concept for this anime also comes from Homura Kawamoto who did Kakegurui so in a sense Teruto is evoking Jabami Yumeko's penchant for gambling and his deck's motif revolves around gambling too. They tied that aspect of his personality into how he ended up winning the duel since he "put his soul on the line" in order to win and his resolve ended up being stronger than Hiyori's and kind of psyched her out from attacking one more time for a potential win against him.
Oct 21, 2021 1:11 PM

Jul 2021
Love the OP, definitely suits the anime well too. Though I found this episode kinda boring, Like struggling to pay attention kinda boring. Also was shocked to see Hiyori looks like she's seven or something. When I saw her in the op I thought she was a teenager
Oct 27, 2021 7:23 AM
Jun 2021
Can someone explain why she wants to be he’s apprentice when he barely won?
Nov 2, 2021 4:36 PM
Sep 2020
Aww Hiyori worked hard at learning the battle Build Divide game !!! Also Hiyori is kind of eccentric, its cute !! Aww Teruto has an apprentice now !!! Hiyori will become great learning from Teruto !!
Dec 28, 2021 8:47 PM

Mar 2013
I really love the OP! The battle seem repetitive because of the redundant cards they're using but it was lessened because of a new character, and what's more, she is a cutie but a ditz in a cute way. The characters are interesting but so far, I have yet to feel the world building up to this episode.

AbusiveMichael said:
Can someone explain why she wants to be he’s apprentice when he barely won?

Wouldn't you want someone to teach you something even better if they're better than you at what you love?!

It is like loving a subject and wanting to have a teacher for it.
CrazyButNot4UDec 28, 2021 8:51 PM
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Dec 29, 2021 3:54 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
The opening is god tier xD I like Hiyori she has a nice personality contrast with MC's one and she's totally legit to wish for her dreams, kinda sad backstory for sure, the fight was actually quite tense, of course Teruto won but it was tight, now seems like she's his apprentice xD
Jan 12, 2022 3:45 PM

Jul 2009
Pacing is weird, but prefer this as opposed to being unnecessarily drawn out. Also that OP is really good.. between the bgm, voice actors, sfx and visuals.. this feels pretty high quality so far.. esp for a card game.. then again, I feel like they set it up so these points would work well on their own, and then fit the card game into it
May 3, 2022 6:29 AM
Sep 2021
Nice showdown and teruto won and gained an apprentice. this series is Looking promising. I give it a 7/10.
Aug 21, 2022 3:22 AM

Jul 2015
Hiyori certainly is adorable although I was not a big fan on how close this battle was. Also him betting all his coins without any benefit leans more towards the ridiculously dumb side imo.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Build Divide: Code Black Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 25, 2021

20 by Unkrowned »»
Aug 22, 2022 2:10 AM

Poll: » Build Divide: Code Black Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2021

8 by Unkrowned »»
Aug 22, 2022 1:47 AM

Poll: » Build Divide: Code Black Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 11, 2021

12 by Unkrowned »»
Aug 22, 2022 1:32 AM

Poll: » Build Divide: Code Black Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 4, 2021

10 by Unkrowned »»
Aug 22, 2022 1:17 AM

Poll: » Build Divide: Code Black Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 27, 2021

21 by Unkrowned »»
Aug 21, 2022 3:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.