Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 6, 2021 9:55 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The animation kinda looks rubbish but they captured the atmosphere of the series well.

Story takes a serious mature tone that deals with sci-fi military warfare. It seems their world's technology is advanced enough to fight against humanity's biggest threats. First episode felt a little fast paced but I think it's done to establish the main premise of the show. The mech design look rather generic though if you ask me.

Oct 6, 2021 9:56 AM

Jul 2017
One of the most anticipated and greatest VNs of all time, Muv-Luv is a force to be reckoned with. This adaptation being taken from the original Muv-Luv Alternative will be strictly broken down by hardcore fans of the VN.

As an anime-only, watching Alternative without the knowledge of Muv-Luv as a whole, kinda breaks the immersion that you NEED to understand the entirety of the source material to even get some BASIC context. But other than that, the mecha scenes are good (except for the kinda horrible CG) and that's a major part of the Muv-Luv universe.

Looking forward to what the anime adaptation will have in store to service both sides of the story for anime-onlies and majority, those who've played the VN. The animation is seriously a downgrade, more than anything, because if you need 3 studios (Yumeta Company, Graphinica and FLAGSHIP LINE) to adapt a work, something's seriously wrong.
KANLen09Oct 6, 2021 11:28 AM
Oct 6, 2021 10:00 AM

Feb 2017
The show is amazing and i cant wait to watch more, easily the best show this season for me!!
Oct 6, 2021 10:17 AM

Sep 2014
I see no issues with visuals and animation here. Nothing bothered me or made it unwatchable in that regard, except for the lack of lip sync when that girl was singing, which is like whatever.

As a source reader, my fears remain the same - the pacing of the following episodes when the story actually begins, how they'll deal with pre-MLA content (i.e. Extra and Unlimited), and how these factors will affect the emotional impact of the story. Let's see how they'll approach these issues next week.
Oct 6, 2021 10:21 AM
Jul 2018
I HATE ANIME I HATE ANIME
yeah this episode was actually decent
the rest will be extremely fucking ass tho
Oct 6, 2021 10:23 AM

Jun 2021
My first impression of episode 1; Man, this show would have been huge if they have adapted it 10 years ago.

Overall, it was a solid episode.

The 3D mecha animation looked good, but the 2D animation parts felt a little lazy, but not terrible.

Looking forward to episode 2.
Oct 6, 2021 10:24 AM
Apr 2021
Agree with KANLen, the starting point is the game or the novels, whichever you prefer. The game series is Extra, Unlimited and Alternative, in that order. From my understanding the anime covers the third game in the trilogy. Therefore, I suggest reading a recap at least and/or checking out the Wiki.

Because I mostly want to watch this a little bit later, (I'm watching Total Eclipse now), I only saw the first 5 minutes or so. I agree with the animation being a bit weird. And it's clear they went with a recap just like TE. That's the right way to start or else people would be totally lost.
Oct 6, 2021 10:24 AM
Apr 2016
kohakufan2002 said:
Original story with bad CG... Not sure I'd call it decent.

How bad do you think the rest can possibly be? On a scale of 1-10?
Oct 6, 2021 10:25 AM
Jul 2018
JanPri said:
kohakufan2002 said:

if this is bad CGI to you you really havent seen bad CGI...
its probably gonna be a 2/10
Oct 6, 2021 10:25 AM

Sep 2012
If anyone enjoyed or liked total eclipse, this will be a decent watch.
Oh god who are you people?
Oct 6, 2021 10:27 AM

Jul 2015
Why the director wanted to clone Shingeki no Kyojin EP1 instead of going for the VN Intro, but with more detail? It would work the same way for anime-onlies. I didn't like this take.
Oct 6, 2021 10:33 AM

Sep 2014
Erotaku_ said:
If I'm correct (and I know very little about this series), this episode is an anime original prequel story to the main story

Yes. No reason to spoiler tag that btw.

otakuops7 said:
And it's clear they went with a recap just like TE. That's the right way to start or else people would be totally lost.

It's not a recap though. Just an episode to contextualize the setting for those unfamiliar with it and draw people in with the action.
Oct 6, 2021 10:33 AM
Apr 2021
First ep is anime original...
this means they will have to cover the content of the VN in even less time.
This adaptation is already doomed
Oct 6, 2021 10:35 AM
Apr 2019
First episode was surprisingly not bad. As long as the anime adapts the VNs peaks adequately I couldn't care less about the rest of the story. I'm not expecting above a 5 from this, just want to see my favorite scenes in motion.
Oct 6, 2021 10:36 AM
Apr 2016
kohakufan2002 said:
JanPri said:

if this is bad CGI to you you really havent seen bad CGI...
its probably gonna be a 2/10

For me bad CG means that you can clrearly see that the CG object/s are out of place in the scene.

Maybe if it would be entirely CG it wouldn't matter, but to have good CG it has to really blend in well with all other 2D elements.
But if you think it's good, I don't want to argue here.
Oct 6, 2021 10:36 AM
Apr 2021
FlamepriesT said:
Erotaku_ said:
If I'm correct (and I know very little about this series), this episode is an anime original prequel story to the main story

Yes. No reason to spoiler tag that btw.

otakuops7 said:
And it's clear they went with a recap just like TE. That's the right way to start or else people would be totally lost.

It's not a recap though. Just an episode to contextualize the setting for those unfamiliar with it and draw people in with the action.

Fair enough, indeed my choice of words was not the best :)
Oct 6, 2021 10:38 AM
Dec 2007
AdrianRubinsky said:
Why the director wanted to clone Shingeki no Kyojin EP1 instead of going for the VN Intro, but with more detail? It would work the same way for anime-onlies. I didn't like this take.
I think it was actually a smart move. I'm pretty sure that was Sumika who was rescued so it's probably going to be some sort of short hand for her origin and backstory...seeing as how this won't have enough episodes (or the prequels) to do it properly. It was an okay compromise I guess.

Either way, as an anime it was actually a pretty decent first episode and way better than I expected. I still think this will be a train wreck but so far its a train wreck I'm enjoying. I doubt this will be a faithful adaptation but if they can make it an enjoyable show I can live with it.
Oct 6, 2021 10:48 AM
Jul 2012
Really enjoyed the first episode, probably because it's an original story but I hope they adapt Alternative well going forward.
Oct 6, 2021 10:52 AM

Jul 2013
is this original? dont remember this from the novels
Oct 6, 2021 10:54 AM
The Attack Titan

May 2019
Shit adaptation, but still got chills near the end. Time to continue reading the VN.

Also, wtf beta have red blood? Weren't they aliens? Well, nothing new. Muvluv science has always sucked.
As for the VN- At sadogashima rn and its finally gotten good.

also before I go, I can say-
Muvluv Copied Aot. :>

Oct 6, 2021 11:02 AM
Nov 2019
Lol wait for the actual Sadogashima fight to drop. Unless ofc they mess it up which they might.
Oct 6, 2021 11:04 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Is everyone here a source reader? Is it even worth to post my opinion as anime-only cause i liked this start, was really intense and showed no remorse, really set the tone for i should expect here.
Oct 6, 2021 11:13 AM
Jan 2020
I'm just here to say the CG is pretty good.
Oct 6, 2021 11:14 AM

Jul 2017
I'll be honest.... not the best anime premiere episode for "THE GREATEST VISUAL NOVEL OF ALL TIME (according to VNDB)". The whole concept of planning for this adaptation was very questionable and while the show tried its best to bring the intensity out with the grim atmosphere of that battle to introduce how fucked the world is with all the BETA that took over and how fucked those creatures actually were too, the whole experience felt very clunky and second-rate to watch. And given how much actual content and exposition there will be once the main story kicks in, I'm not the most optimistic about how all of that in the future will be adapted. Visuals aren't that good too, although it's not like the original VN looked that great either.

I'm not a Muv-Luv Alternative VN fan (think that it's fine and nothing more) and it's only been one episode but those MLA diehard VN fans deserve better than this. Everything about this episode just... didn't click.
Oct 6, 2021 11:18 AM

Jul 2017
animejas said:
I'll be honest.... not the best anime premiere episode for "THE GREATEST VISUAL NOVEL OF ALL TIME (according to VNDB)". The whole concept of planning for this adaptation was very questionable and while the show tried its best to bring the intensity out with the grim atmosphere of that battle to introduce how fucked the world is with all the BETA that took over and how fucked those creatures actually were too, the whole experience felt very clunky and second-rate to watch. And given how much actual content and exposition there will be once the main story kicks in, I'm not the most optimistic about how all of that in the future will be adapted. Visuals aren't that good too, although it's not like the original VN looked that great either.

I'm not a Muv-Luv Alternative VN fan (think that it's fine and nothing more) and it's only been one episode but those MLA diehard VN fans deserve better than this. Everything about this episode just... didn't click.
Pretty much nailed it on the dot. Let's see what animaniaig a.k.a Kane has to say about this, he'd pretty much reject the anime outright.
Oct 6, 2021 11:20 AM
Jan 2018
I can safely say that this was worse than I ever expected it to be. Visuals, besides the TSFs, is dreadful especially the character animation (or rather lack of it as it hardly even had lip sync) and BETA looked terrible with the CG and soldier class redesign. As an opening episode, it really did absolutely nothing to evoke the actual tone of the source especially in the beginning and I can say that this episode was absolutely pointless as an introduction. Nothing about this clicked in the slightest and it's clear to see how much of a cashgrab this actually is.
Oct 6, 2021 11:22 AM

Jul 2017
KANLen09 said:
Pretty much nailed it on the dot. Let's see what animaniaig a.k.a Kane has to say about this, he'd pretty much reject the anime outright.

Yeah I showed him that the episode was online and the reactions he posted on Discord already are.... not glowing with positive reactions to say the least.

And I quote, "Worse than a disaster". Not very encouraging for one of the biggest Muv-Luv fans I know.

Edit: Posted this before he posted his forum comment here lol. Not surprised about the feelings though, it's just not a good episode at all. I feel your pain to some degree @Animaniaig.
Oct 6, 2021 11:28 AM
Nov 2014
GGcc78 said:
AdrianRubinsky said:
I think it was actually a smart move. I'm pretty sure that was Sumika who was rescued so it's probably going to be some sort of short hand for her origin and backstory...seeing as how this won't have enough episodes (or the prequels) to do it properly. It was an okay compromise I guess.

I'm not complaining about the animation, and those that are seem to be expecting at least MAPPA or Madhouse level of stuff (if not ufotable, and even then I consider my perception forever skewed by ufo). The first episode does a few things quite well: it introduces the BETA to the new audience, it introduces the impossibility of fighting back against them (or reminds of it), and I suppose it also drops a hint of how a single human error can have (much accelerated) catastrophic consequences. There were a few mildly questionable scenes, but that's about it really. If anything, the lead into the episode seriously reminded me of the first few minutes of Schwarzesmarken.
Personally I appreciate the geographic accuracy around Sadogashima (which honestly has always been Muv-Luv's strong point) - the area around Ryotsu is more or less how I remember it from my visit there in late 2018.
Oct 6, 2021 11:38 AM

Sep 2014
Smudy said:
Is everyone here a source reader? Is it even worth to post my opinion as anime-only cause i liked this start, was really intense and showed no remorse, really set the tone for i should expect here.

While I highly recommend reading the source material instead (blast through the official youtube playthrough of Extra and Unlimited for free, then get MLA on steam), I'd say don't worry about what others say and just keep in mind most source readers are probably either skipping this or salty af.

What they did here isn't much of an issue imo. It's what they won't do that's getting people salty, because it's kinda like Clannad AS without the first season.
Oct 6, 2021 11:40 AM
Dec 2007
TranslatorPS said:
GGcc78 said:

I get that, I think it's a change in the plot. At 4:44 I think you can see the yellow bow behind her head, though with the character design changes its hard to tell anything. I would assume the refuges are heading to Yokohama at the end of this episode, since earlier dialogue makes it seem as if Yokohama is safe at this point in time.
Oct 6, 2021 11:44 AM

Mar 2016
Geezus christ, this was the closest I've came to literally throwing up watching a visually crapsack episode of anything in a long while. Everything from the presented premise to the characters to the sound design to the choice of animation was absolutely horrendous.
VN adaptations generally have their shortcomings with adapting enough content, but nothing from this one looked even half-decent.
Oct 6, 2021 11:52 AM
Nov 2014
GGcc78 said:
TranslatorPS said:

I get that, I think it's a change in the plot. At 4:44 I think you can see the yellow bow behind her head, though with the character design changes its hard to tell anything. I would assume the refuges are heading to Yokohama at the end of this episode, since earlier dialogue makes it seem as if Yokohama is safe at this point in time.

I still don't think it's her, none of the plot would make sense at that stage.
Well, there is one angle they could have taken here, since I don't think it's specified anywhere whether Yokohama fell before Sado (EDIT: yeah I should probably read your post properly), but even then, at the end of the day, the hair colour doesn't even remotely match, and the VN shows Sumika as always having this bright red, even in those primary school flashbacks in Extra. If they went down your line of thinking, oh boy, bye bye my storyline rating.
Oct 6, 2021 11:53 AM
Jan 2019
Smudy said:

I for one am much more interested to see what people new to the franchise are thinking!

Jul 2019
This was not as bad as i expected however this is still an original episode so the actual story starts next week. I'm still keeping my expectations very low.
Jul 2016
Well... the first episode is already better than the rewrite anime so that's a win considering the VN adaptation curse. No hopes of it being the best anime ever, but at least better than rewrite!

I'm not asking for much, just better than how rewrite got adapted!!

... that's not much, right!? right?!

Oct 6, 2021 11:54 AM
Apr 2021
Looks like this will be 12 eps long according to the official Website
One is already anime original...
11 episodes for the entirety of Alternative...
Oct 6, 2021 11:56 AM

Jul 2019
Ich_bin_einBaum said:

I've heard that they won't adapt everything so it might end on a cliffhanger
Oct 6, 2021 12:01 PM

Sep 2014
Ich_bin_einBaum said:

No matter how pessimistic you may be, they're definitely not cramming everything in 11 episodes. That would be literally impossible.

(People who went to the pre-screening have also said ep 2 isn't exactly rushed as you would expect out of an 11-episode adaptation.)
Oct 6, 2021 12:04 PM
Nov 2019
Ich_bin_einBaum said:
Can you provide in any sort of confirmation on that? I'd check myself but the site is in japanese.

I'm asking you to do this cuz my expectations for this adaptation, right now, is a 4/10 which will drop to a 0/10 if what you say is true.
Oct 6, 2021 12:05 PM
Apr 2021
powerOfNeo107 said:
Ich_bin_einBaum said:
Can you provide in any sort of confirmation on that? I'd check myself but the site is in japanese.

I'm asking you to do this cuz my expectations for this adaptation, right now, is a 4/10 which will drop to a 0/10 if what you say is true.

I am basing this on the blue ray set taht is listed on the website: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FBCUhUeWQAAvee_?format=jpg&name=medium

https://muv-luv-alternative-anime.com/product/
Oct 6, 2021 12:07 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Smudy said:

After reading this thread I've pretty much decided to refrain from posting in future episode discussions. It seems source material die hards are going to be here every episode complaining about everything under heaven and earth that is wrong with this adaptation.
I'm not saying this was great, far from it, but I've seen much worse over the years.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 6, 2021 12:22 PM

Sep 2014
powerOfNeo107 said:
Ich_bin_einBaum said:

It's confirmed to be 12 episodes. But the pacing of eps 1-2 doesn't support the claim they'll cram everything in 11 episodes, the length of the vn makes it impossible, and there's an interview where they explicitly mention the likelihood of multiple seasons.

Since this is just 12 ep, there's no way in hell it'll be the whole thing. People just are being extremely pessimistic because they haven't gotten over the fact this won't be a god tier adaptation like S;G.
Oct 6, 2021 12:30 PM
Feb 2015
Alexiiius said:
is this original? dont remember this from the novels

Yes it's original. Probably to promote Sayoko.
Oct 6, 2021 12:32 PM
Feb 2015
Smudy said:

Of course it's worth it, don't let our opinions as VN readers to ruin your enjoyment. That's what matter most.
Oct 6, 2021 12:41 PM

Feb 2019
So I’m seeing a lot of complaints mainly from VN fans. I’ve never read the VN and probably won’t for the foreseeable future, but I was absolutely blown away by this episode. I only knew a little about Muv-Luv from the people in my anime club who are fans. I didn’t expect it to be this dark. The opening few minutes had an upbeat feel and then I’m seeing heads ripped off and innocents massacred, holy shit man.

I enjoyed this episode and think I’ll enjoy the rest of it as well.
Oct 6, 2021 12:58 PM
Sep 2016
Wrote a review on it: https://myanimelist.net/anime/40608/Muv-Luv_Alternative/reviews

I'd say the production is "decent enough" but they did capture the world building and atmosphere in the first episode, enough to make me commit watching this til the end.

I did enjoy the details you get to dissect during the dialogue: Fort class coming from another Hive, the break down of BETA types and what the base was equipped to deal with, the movement and resupply between squadrons (the logistics overall).

I did not enjoy how the wall fell down, the BETA impact was meh, no clue who these characters are but im hyped by that ending scene.

I do feel the dread though. I hope this one becomes my source of suffering for this season.
Oct 6, 2021 12:59 PM
Sep 2016
Marinate1016 said:
So I’m seeing a lot of complaints mainly from VN fans. I’ve never read the VN and probably won’t for the foreseeable future, but I was absolutely blown away by this episode. I only knew a little about Muv-Luv from the people in my anime club who are fans. I didn’t expect it to be this dark. The opening few minutes had an upbeat feel and then I’m seeing heads ripped off and innocents massacred, holy shit man.

I enjoyed this episode and think I’ll enjoy the rest of it as well.

Don't mind them, they'll just spoil your enjoyment because their POV is entirely different.

Disclaimer: I'm a big fan of the VN as well.

Imma take this for a standalone piece because the VN was presented way differently but I think they did a great job with ep 1.

I'm glad you enjoyed it! Hope you'll keep watching it.
Oct 6, 2021 1:08 PM
Anime Cat

Aug 2017
Humiliation.

Never enjoyed people cruelly beaten up. Let alone if it's done by 3DCG monsters. 3DCG is decent, but the monster design is not. Especially the fortress-class. It looks like a mascot from an egg store I missed Sigrdrifa. Humiliated by those thing won't evoke anything except generic sacrifice and miracle.

Speaking of miracle, the boy at the end of the episode maybe is the one who could bring much-needed energy to this series.
Oct 6, 2021 1:09 PM
Jan 2020
Woah, this first episode was really good. As i played the VN already, i liked this new anime original episode. Animation was top notch and im really hyped to see the main cast in action. Hopefully they keep the quality up
Oct 6, 2021 1:14 PM

Jan 2009
damn the character animation is bad but at least they drawn the close up of the faces great though

beta uprising lol "come and get me, you goddamn beta"

degOct 6, 2021 1:54 PM
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 22, 2021

82 by Unkrowned »»
Jul 11, 2023 4:31 AM

» Why fans are OVERREACTING.?

Sandro8604 - Oct 14, 2021

46 by koneroko »»
Dec 27, 2022 4:09 PM

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2021

45 by MoeMoeKyun »»
Nov 16, 2022 7:04 PM

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2021

44 by MoeMoeKyun »»
Nov 16, 2022 6:44 PM

» There is no Muv Luv Alternative anime ( 1 2 )

OppaiSugoi - Oct 13, 2021

63 by ixarising »»
Oct 8, 2022 11:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.