Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jun 3, 2021 7:58 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ah, that photograph they took together as a trio has a lot of meaning in their time period.

We got the continuation (part 2) of this peculiar arc but it also turned out to be quite an emotional episode, perhaps the most emotional yet of the season.
Jun 3, 2021 7:59 AM
Mar 2021
That was kinda fucking sad
Jun 3, 2021 8:57 AM

Jul 2017
I forgot to mention this last week, but many would've already sufficed that in Yuugiri's Edo time period, we're all watching the ancestors of the main cast.

The secret avalanche of the reclaimation of the Saga War behind Kiichi's back, and the old geezer still proclaiming that he embodies Saga...all words, no action. Other than the photograph documented of Itou, Kiichi and Yuugiri together marking the start of the end, from backstabber Itou's perspective, there's no end if these unsightly occurrences continue to hamper the current prosperity.

Lots of people have died and sacrificed for the rebirth of Saga, yet only Kiichi can continue this childish dream, and Yuugiri's encouragement only strengthens his resolve. The desire to live a common dream and life, yet slaughtering lives to oppose whoever rebels and make it happen.

Quite an emotional run for the legendary courtesan, beheaded for the cause of Saga...which makes her mysterious character all the more compelling. To watch Franchouchou perform a Meiji Era-like performance play just is the icing on the cake.

All for Saga...cheers! There's no turning back now from achieving goals, and the revenge plot starts next week.
Jun 3, 2021 8:59 AM

Feb 2019
Yugiri’s backstory is by far the best of all the girls, so far anyway. Obviously there were some exaggerations for the sake of anime and some liberties taken, but Saga actually did gain independence from Nagasaki and those dates are correct. Learning history with anime is always fun.

Yugiri’s duel was really cool, wasn’t expecting her to be capable with a sword, but she definitely showed me.

This week’s performance was awesome as well. Top 3 of the season.
Jun 3, 2021 9:06 AM

Jun 2019
Saga Jihen is my favorite Franchouchou song. Great episode.
Jun 3, 2021 9:07 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
That was actually really surprising and interesting, so Yugiri really got beheaded by the army but thanks to all what they did Saga got independence, her backstory was great especially that it took so much time to be showed in the anime
Jun 3, 2021 9:07 AM
Mar 2019
Not gonna lie I teared up a few times in this episode. I already really liked Yugiri and this episode was really strong for her she is so powerful haha. The performance at the end gave me chills it was lovely. Can’t wait for next weeks episode!!
Jun 3, 2021 9:14 AM
May 2020
Best episode so far
Jun 3, 2021 9:16 AM

Apr 2014
Jikiran! Jikiran! Jikiran! Jikiran!
As the most mature and most grown-up of the group, this song really suits well with Yuugiri.
Yuugiri's past was very sad when she got executed. 😢 But, at least, she is happy in the current era with everyone from Franchouchou.
何それ?意味分かんない
Jun 3, 2021 9:18 AM

Apr 2020
I thought this Yuugiri's arc gonna bore me, but turns out it is somewhat enjoying. Really sad eps that Yuugiri and Itou sacrifice themself to help Kiichi save Saga. Maybe Itou got reincarnated being the investigator/reporter. And Saga Jihen is my favorite song too. Yuugiri based.

And some must seen Tae picture put besides those three. Is Tae really from the Meiji era or just a gag?
Jun 3, 2021 9:40 AM

Mar 2018
You know I usually hate when anime all of a sudden have a dramatic tone shift but zombieland saga really aced this one out of the park. The ending especially made me feel somber. I didn’t really like the episode before this because of different reasons but this one did not disappoint. Yuugiri is definetly top tier.
Jun 3, 2021 9:56 AM

Jun 2012
"This country's still twisted and barbaric" even in modern world, when you look at what recently happened in Catalonia, not too much had changed :(

Great episode, Yugiri was MVP, and it was thanks to her Saga revive project could start.
Jun 3, 2021 10:02 AM

Sep 2019
CHECK IT OUT CHECK IT OUT CHECK IT OUT

I absolutely loved this episode. Didn't think they's sing Saga Jihen in the anime, I'm really happy that they did.

Obligatory cover
Jun 3, 2021 10:02 AM

Aug 2018
Yugiri's backstory was sad, so is that old man still alive ? Is Koutaro way older than he looks ?
And looks like next episode that Reporter is telling Kotaro that he will expose Franchouchou 😢
"When There Is Evil In This World That Justice Cannot Defeat, Would You Taint Your Hands With Evil To Defeat Evil? Or Would You Remain Steadfast And Righteous Even If It Means Surrendering To Evil?"
Jun 3, 2021 10:04 AM

Mar 2017
Excuse me, but Zombieland Saga is supposed to be my weekly comedy chill time and now they do this?! Man, that was just heartbreaking!

Yugiri is such a strong, brave woman and I see her in a totally new light after seeing her backstory. I'm glad that she has the old man with her in this era at least and I'm happy to know that her sacrifice saved Kiichi.
Jun 3, 2021 10:06 AM

Dec 2020
I like how they make the 2 episode this arc was nice. I had fun to watch this arc.

The CG was also good, but im curious about that last what Yuugiri said.
And who is this man on the bar?
P O S I T I V E V I B E Sシ

Jun 3, 2021 10:13 AM

May 2020
yugiri's backstory indeed the best!! their last performance with yugiri in the center really ended this arc well, amazing song too

Jun 3, 2021 10:17 AM

Dec 2013
That was a beautiful arc and a great emotional episode, I liked Yugiri a lot but this one puts here easily on my favorite of the group, can't believe this show full of goofballs can pull it out. We also got more mysteries with the bar owner and Romero.
Jun 3, 2021 10:18 AM

May 2011
Sh1na07 said:
I like how they make the 2 episode this arc was nice. I had fun to watch this arc.

The CG was also good, but im curious about that last what Yuugiri said.
And who is this man on the bar?

Isn't the man on the bar that gramps from the old era? He probably turned himself into a zombie, since the dog is there too.

And yes finally SAGA JIHEN! One of the best song of the installment!

Got to say whoever made the songs and the storyboard for this whole franchise is a fucking genius, to be able to pull so many different characters of different personalities together and yet able to put up such a decent story, simply amazing.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Jun 3, 2021 10:35 AM

Dec 2020
Isn't the man on the bar that gramps from the old era? He probably turned himself into a zombie, since the dog is there too.

And yes finally SAGA JIHEN! One of the best song of the installment!

Got to say whoever made the songs and the storyboard for this whole franchise is a fucking genius, to be able to pull so many different characters of different personalities together and yet able to put up such a decent story, simply amazing.[/quote]Yeah because the same dog was also there xD
I love the song
P O S I T I V E V I B E Sシ

Jun 3, 2021 10:50 AM
Jul 2019
I love this anime so much I feel like I'm going to cry
one of the best episodes

zombieland is also culture

Love the song sm ♡♡
Jun 3, 2021 11:15 AM

Jul 2011
With this story makes sense why Tatsumi don't actively rough up with Yugiri. He just stay more passively.After all was Yugiri that kept his Great great grampa alive.

Yugiri is too superior over the others member of Franchouchou, was a Legendary Courtesan, have powerful contacts, is beautiful, won against a full-fledged executor, and lastly died not like a low-tier revolutionist, but as someone that had a ceremony to the execution.

In the end I don't hold grudge against Itou, he was at least a friend enough to give a heads-up. And make sense why we didn't seen a Itou descendant.
Jun 3, 2021 11:18 AM

Oct 2017
z00nex said:
Obligatory cover

Obligatory better version :P
Jun 3, 2021 11:20 AM

Sep 2019
RainyShadow said:
z00nex said:
Obligatory cover

Obligatory better version :P
I like the cover more ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 3, 2021 11:43 AM

Dec 2015
One of the best arcs of this year. Brillantly executed from start to finish.
Jun 3, 2021 11:55 AM

Jul 2014
So Yugiri got beheaded by the army because she helped Koutarou's ancestor escape after he somehow incited a rebellion for Saga to gain independence (not like we get to see much if any of the transition from no one listening to him last week to the rebellion blowing up this week). It's certainly a solid backstory and explanation for how she ended up a zombie for Franchouchou, but I found it nowhere near as impactful as either Lily or Saki's backstories from last season; the scale of the surrounding circumstances of the rebellion and Saga gaining independence. seriously distracts from the emotional core of Yugiri's story. It perhaps also would have helped if Yugiri was actually anything more than a background element prior to this as the show would be no different before this arc if Yugiri didn't exist; the other girls at least had meaningful screentime and character moments before they got their emotional backstories, which undoubtedly helped.
Jun 3, 2021 12:36 PM

Sep 2020
That was quite the tragedy, I gennuinely felt sad at the end of their stories there. I'm glad he succeded in Saga and I'm especially happy she got to see in the end. It was really bittersweet.

That bombshell at the end though, is that guy a zombie too, or is he using some of his ancestors magic? It's quite crazy to think about, I'm assuming Koutarou has to be his son or one of his descendants and he taught him how to reanimate corpses.

This is episode was emoitonal, intriguing, and fantastic. I can't wait for the next one.

Jun 3, 2021 1:35 PM

Dec 2015
Who is that other guy? (I think his name as Itou.) He looked a bit like the police guy later in the modern era. Ha ha.

For the old guy I did not notice at first. But yeah: When paying attention to his famous voice actor ... it was obvious.l And the end of this episode really confirmed that he is the old guy in the bar.

Don't really know if I like this. I had hoped the background story just incluede other chars that have similar looks than the modern guys - as kind of service.

But this actually means that this was the (pretty mediocre) reveal about the whole background story. I just wonder if Kotarou still somehow remembers? The old guy must aso have ressurected him? Or he is descendant of the Kiichi guy. (Cause so far he did not really seem like a zombie.)

Weird connection though ... that he actually then got some idol zombies - there must have been some
talking between him and the guy from the bar in the past where the guy offered to re-animate girls as zombies to help him.
Jun 3, 2021 2:01 PM

Mar 2013
Stuffed_goat said:
That was quite the tragedy, I gennuinely felt sad at the end of their stories there. I'm glad he succeded in Saga and I'm especially happy she got to see in the end. It was really bittersweet.

That bombshell at the end though, is that guy a zombie too, or is he using some of his ancestors magic? It's quite crazy to think about, I'm assuming Koutarou has to be his son or one of his descendants and he taught him how to reanimate corpses.

This is episode was emoitonal, intriguing, and fantastic. I can't wait for the next one.

Maybe the old guy is some local god or something, he says he IS Saga and when Saga looked like it would disappear, he was extremely frail. Now it's back, he's as strong as ever. Perhaps his life is intrinsically tied to Saga's existence, either as a god or some kind of curse, and he has been watching and guiding Kiichi's descendents ever since, right up to Kotaro. We don't know Kotaro Tatsumi's real full name, only that he was previously called Inui when he was in school with Sakura.
Slice of Life Anime about the everyday life of a German Philosopher: Nietzschijou.
Jun 3, 2021 2:32 PM

Apr 2015
Fantastic episode.

We knew that Yugiri's past was gonna be a sad and rough one, since the scar has always been clearly visible, but it still hurts.

I do like that everything makes sense now. The old guy at the bar knowing about Yugiri and her now being a Zombie, simply due to him being the old frail guy in the Meiji era. Saga recovered and so did he, since Romero was with him, it's safe to say he has something to do with the girls being zombies. It's all very intriguing.

That performance was amazing, probably one of the best ones so far of the franchise. Right after Junko's performance.

Now, next week looks very interesting. The reporter seems to confront Kotaro about the secret! Exciting weeks ahead!

Luthandorius said:
Who is that other guy? (I think his name as Itou.) He looked a bit like the police guy later in the modern era. Ha ha.

I was more leaning towards the journalist/reporter, who is investigating all the girls and finding out that they are zombies. The police guy actually had an ancestor in the Meiji era himself.
Jun 3, 2021 3:16 PM

Jun 2014
These 2 episodes focusing on Yugiri's backstory were great. The end of her backstory was pretty bittersweet though, even though we as viewers already knew all roads were going to lead to her death. Another excellent performance as well from Franchouchou this week, with Yugiri taking center stage. I'm glad she got more of the spotlight in these last couple episodes.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jun 3, 2021 3:48 PM

Sep 2020
Riotstarter said:
Maybe the old guy is some local god or something, he says he IS Saga and when Saga looked like it would disappear, he was extremely frail. Now it's back, he's as strong as ever. Perhaps his life is intrinsically tied to Saga's existence, either as a god or some kind of curse, and he has been watching and guiding Kiichi's descendents ever since, right up to Kotaro. We don't know Kotaro Tatsumi's real full name, only that he was previously called Inui when he was in school with Sakura.

That's a cool thought, it would explain everyone's connections to each other and how he managed to stay alive for so long. I can't believe a show with dancing zombie idols would go this deep but it is so funny and interesting that it is.

Jun 3, 2021 4:03 PM

Nov 2011
Oh man I forgot about Yuugiri's song!!! It was released maybe last year or two years ago? It was awesome to hear it again and see it animated as well!
(Just found it on youtube. December 2019!!! Wow)

Great episode. Kind of figured Yuugiri got executed. And yep looks like the Bartender is the Grandfather.

Now we just need Tae's backstory and everything is fine.

Why does it seem the Reporter has a connection to Itou. I mean in a sense that he will be against Franchouchou and Kotaro is the manager.

Please just give us Tae back story. I think the season ends with her waking up though.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Jun 3, 2021 4:06 PM

Jul 2017
lol what was that MGS style ending to yuugiri's backstory. Pretty interesting story though, has all the makings of a live action soap opera :P

but damn Yuugiri's voice is so soothing lul
Jun 3, 2021 4:28 PM

Jun 2017
Damn that was amazing, especially the closure with the song. I didn't expect Yuugiri to take all the blame and die that way.

Riotstarter said:
Stuffed_goat said:

You might be onto something here, he is either a god or zombified himself at some point.
Jun 3, 2021 5:50 PM

Jun 2019
The second episode of the Yugiri backstory arc didn’t change my opinion about it.

It was a very odd shift in tone for a story that was not very necessary, nor was it very interesting. There wasn’t enough time to really build up the characters, so it all comes across as half-baked. As a result, I wasn’t invested in the drama and I didn’t feel the emotional moments.

The performace at the end was good though.
Jun 3, 2021 6:56 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
And now we know how Yugiri got the scar on her neck. I knew it was going to come to the point where she would get executed for something. Yugiri really is a hell of a woman. This backstory was arguably one of the best, and was needed to help flesh Yugiri out. I guess that old man was able to survive all these years.

This episode proving yet again that Zombieland Saga is not a happy story.

Really nice directed episode too. That zoom in on the comb while Saga Jihen started was a nice shot. Speaking of, the performance was great. Got a few chuckles seeing the guys dance too.

Yugiri really has shot up the list for me, she's a very strong character.

Looks like we finally get to see the reporter confront Franchouchou next week.
Jun 3, 2021 7:00 PM

Jul 2014
I thought Junko's song (+Ai) was going to be my favorite performance but damn, I'm conflicted, I loved Saga Jihen! What a voice from Yugiri, she exudes pure sexiness and the other girls' pantyhose really did their job. Truly wonderful performance.

Yugiri is beyond legendary!
Jun 3, 2021 7:13 PM

Apr 2017
My least favourite backstory. In fact I even think it's a terrible backstory. Why? Because this backstory's main character isn't even Yuugiri but Kiichi. Everything from start to finish was about Kiichi and Saga's revolution, and Yuugiri was just a support character with half assed character growth. Suddenly she's a legendary oiran. Suddenly she retires. Suddenly she's a legendary samurai. Every single thing Yuugiri has done in these two episodes has been, as the poster above me said, half-baked. The entire focus of this arc isn't even about her, it's all about Kiichi and the revolution.

Every single character's backstory so far have been great, they focused on the character. Most importantly, they focused on what they were doing. Saki being a biker gang, Ai and Junko being musicians, Lily in her entertainment industry, Sakura in chasing her idol dream. What about this legendary oiran? Being a caretaker to an old man and play housewife. For fuck sake, be consistent and show us how she became a legendary oiran, tell us why she became one, tell us her struggle in this line of work, tell us how she offended some high political client and got beheaded for it. Not this political shit drama that is not even in theme with the rest of the show that don't even focus on what makes her legendary.

D I S A P P O I N T I N G

Jun 3, 2021 7:18 PM

Jan 2011
Yugiri really is the greatest and this arc was pretty good for a backstory even if it felt strange how much of a genre swap it was in tone and everything , it could've been worse if it was only one episode but the drama outside of our girls fate some of the connection to our time really didn't do much due to lack of any real build up didn't help i forgot whatever happened last week.

still in the end she was done real dirty and didn't deserve to die like that but at least she has another chance seeing a new Saga.

everything surrounding the characters like Tea and the old man/Koutarou's ancestor leave me with more questions from the start and i hope it gets addressed because i thought they were just look alikes for jokes lol
Jun 3, 2021 8:36 PM

Dec 2014
Damn, that entire sequence right before Yugiri was executed was great. I felt really sad for her too. :(
The performance at the end was great.
Jun 3, 2021 9:05 PM
Nov 2020
These last two episodes really elevated Yugiri to the top for me, personally. She's the only one in the group with any sort of sex appeal ...the other girls are just "cute" at best (though I like Saki for being Saki, lol). She's got old-school Meiji Era "class" and her personality shows empathy towards others. She's hot and simply the best.
Jun 3, 2021 10:13 PM

Jul 2016
Pleased to see Zombieland Saga can also do well when it comes to more serious narratives. After this episode, Yuugiri's backstory has easily become my favorite one among the Franchouchou girls so far. Concluding the episode with "Saga Jihen" was also a fantastic decision, I must say.
Jun 3, 2021 11:05 PM
Mar 2015
Xu Fu (徐福, Jofuku)
Voiced by: Hōchū Ōtsuka (Japanese); R. Bruce Elliot (English)
The bartender of Bar New Jofuku who is personally familiar with Kotaro, Yugiri, and the Zombie Land Saga Project. It is revealed in Revenge that his immortality is linked to the status of Saga. His name and the bar's name references Chinese medical scholar Xu Fu, named "Jofuku" in Japanese, who was ordered by Qin Shi Huang to find the elixir of life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xu_Fu
Jun 4, 2021 12:33 AM

Oct 2016
Fantastic Yuugiri arc, she really deserved the two parter. Zombieland Saga is peak idol show, there's nothing like it. Damn, so the bartender dude is actually Saga itself, as long as Saga is alive and prospering, he isn't gonna die.

They finally used Saga Jihen officially in the show! That was awesome, pretty sweet how they included Kiichi and Itou dancing. Yuugiri's death though, now that is fucking legendary. Really looking forward to the next episode, reporter dude is gonna confront Kotaro.
Jun 4, 2021 12:48 AM

Nov 2012
That was a good story! Hope it turns out good for all Franchouchou.

Saga Jihen was great! But after all, I choose Sui-chan version.

My Candies:

Jun 4, 2021 2:43 AM

Aug 2019
I really hope at least one episode out of these last three (well the next episode seems like it’s focused on the reporter so last two in reality) is a full episode dedicated to the backstory of Tae
Jun 4, 2021 6:31 AM
Jan 2021
They sang it, they actually sang saga jihen.
Also Yuugiri is really fucking cool
Jun 4, 2021 8:26 AM
Jul 2018
A lot of the characters we saw in the Meiji era were likely ancestors or lookalikes of the Franchouchou members and co, so I wonder if we will or have seen someone who is a lookalike of Ito, since he died and I’m pretty sure doesn’t have descendants. So far, I think the news reporter looks most like him out of all the characters we have seen.
removed-userJun 4, 2021 8:39 AM
Jun 4, 2021 12:02 PM

Mar 2013
This episode was... Really dark, cold and depressing: Seeing such person like Yugiri to be executed - boils the blood till to sky (I was literaly about to screeming: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! YOU BASTARDS!!!). She was (even now in her zombie exisitence) a great woman. How could they such a great person kill? Really, how? But sadly I've to think that in this era was it "normal" innoucent people to kill for nothing (except for greed, power etc.) - pretty commun in that time.

They should've call for Kenshin in this case - he could sure something do to prevent the tragedy.

As side note: Yugiri was more than a legendary courtesant, she was (if I think right...) also professional assasine.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Zombieland Saga: Revenge Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2021

235 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Apr 10, 2:52 PM

Poll: » Zombieland Saga: Revenge Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 29, 2021

120 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Apr 6, 4:27 PM

Poll: » Zombieland Saga: Revenge Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 8, 2021

172 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Apr 6, 1:41 PM

Poll: » Zombieland Saga: Revenge Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 6, 2021

113 by Karva1 »»
Apr 2, 3:46 PM

Poll: » Zombieland Saga: Revenge Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 22, 2021

93 by Karva1 »»
Apr 2, 3:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.