Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 27, 2021 8:00 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Hmm, this episode was a bit strange at first but it seems the characters enter a world representing the old school Japanese Meiji Age.

Nothing has changed about the casts' personalities so there's still plenty of popcorn entertainment from this episode. Fun stuff but very different from the other episodes of this show.
Stark700May 27, 2021 10:17 AM
May 27, 2021 8:57 AM

Jul 2017
AYYY Yuugiri's backstory, FINALLY! And as appropriately dressed and timed in the Meiji Era that transcends time: Part 1 of the Saga Incident!

The legendary courtesan no less, and living a low-profile life. And everyone in Franchouchou, even Kotarou in his young feudal self and Romero-kun...exists in the feudal age? Well let it be so for a different world, for Saga has transformed through time, with declining presence and only known to the most faithfuls.

It's funny how past events made a replica comeback here: the Truck-kun like dfeeling between Kotarou and Yuugiri of the trailer that houses Ai, and Kotarou (named Kiichi Momozaki) getting all flustered when Yuugiri's around.

So indeed young Kotarou has links to Saga, and it runs in the family. To create a revolution dream for all who resides in Saga...that's a seriously long-running dream spanning centuries in the making, with good bud Itou making fun of his persevering marketing, no matter the times.

Still though, the Saga effort shows somewhat...with a worry. Hoping to see what lies ahead.
May 27, 2021 8:59 AM

Feb 2019
Yugiri has been the most mysterious member of the group for me ever since last season, it’s only right she gets a multi part mini-arc. I wonder if Tae’s cameo was just a meme or if she’s actually from the Meiji era as well. Also, Kiichi seems like he’s the manager ancestor, based on his love for saga and desire to create a new Saga. Some really interesting stuff today. I think Itou is up to no good tho and is probably going to set both of them up. Looking forward to part 2.
May 27, 2021 9:03 AM

Jan 2014
Eyyy, finally great to see Yuugiri's backstory, and honestly cannot wait for more! It was also very nice how the actual cast members made various cameos throughout it. Even Tae said something in a normal voice, which was quite something. Lovely episode.
May 27, 2021 9:14 AM

Apr 2014
It was nice to see those Meiji era Franchouchou. It seems that Kiichi is Koutaro's ancestor, from his love towards Saga, and Romero the dog. Kiichi also talking about something like resurrection too.
That Ito guy seems very suspicious, he might be the one behind the death of Yuugiri.
何それ?意味分かんない
May 27, 2021 9:14 AM

May 2015
Marinate1016 said:
Yugiri has been the most mysterious member of the group for me ever since last season, it’s only right she gets a multi part mini-arc. I wonder if Tae’s cameo was just a meme or if she’s actually from the Meiji era as well. Also, Kiichi seems like he’s the manager ancestor, based on his love for saga and desire to create a new Saga. Some really interesting stuff today. I think Itou is up to no good tho and is probably going to set both of them up. Looking forward to part 2.

It wasn't only Tae, they showed all the girls randomly, so it has to be a meme.
May 27, 2021 9:15 AM

Feb 2019
Ten said:
Marinate1016 said:

I didn’t see the others, interesting
May 27, 2021 9:16 AM

Apr 2020
My fellow Indonesian watcher think that this is just a film shooting. I doubt it though. As we look from the eps, it's a serious situation. We also looked all of the Franchouchou's ancestors are all here. Really glad Tae made an appearance with riding a cart. Yup, it's all coming together.
May 27, 2021 9:22 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Well that was quite the change of pace
May 27, 2021 9:26 AM

Mar 2021
Ceciru chan won!!! Im so gladn it was awesome how she managed to guess everything that easily, what a beast! It was very "subtle" (I hope you guys got the refence) Anyway Marusialu was a tough opponent, congrats to him!
May 27, 2021 9:43 AM
Mar 2020
ViktorLocke said:
A man wants to turn his homeland back to its traditional roots, going back? Radical conservatism in a nutshell. And the other guy wants the homeland to keep changing. Liberal in a nutshell.

Yes, Yurigi said something about how the guy wants to actually have Saga have a "fresh start" or whatever, but it's not clear what that means in this context.

I like season 2, but I'm not enjoying it as much as season 1; it feels there's too much focus on the more dramatic side, rather than comedy.

It seems season 2 is slowly revealing the mystery involving how the girls came back to life. For this episode. All the members are modern day idols that had their shortcomings except for Yugiri which was a long time ago, even her cause of death isn't discovered (By the reporter who discovered the girls are zombies).

As for me, i like this season. They made a good balance of it (story, history, comedy, performance). I mean i'm still surprised as an idol show this anime has a deep heck of a plot lol.
May 27, 2021 9:46 AM

Jan 2021
This is radically different from the rest of ZLS, but I really don't mind that. I could watch an entire show in this style; it's so good.
May 27, 2021 9:53 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Finally a Yugiri's backstory hmm, it can be interesting, but it's also weird since most of the girls are here, I wonder if it's just for fun or not.
May 27, 2021 10:04 AM
May 2021
Very interesting. I love that this season has finally given all the characters an episode.
May 27, 2021 10:13 AM
Jan 2021
Rakabat said:
My fellow Indonesian watcher think that this is just a film shooting. I doubt it though. As we look from the eps, it's a serious situation. We also looked all of the Franchouchou's ancestors are all here. Really glad Tae made an appearance with riding a cart. Yup, it's all coming together.

Bukan hehehe (I'm Indonesian too btw).

These are really the backstory episodes (Saga Jihen does have its own sub-plot, this is just the first part of the story itself).

You see, in the official synopsis on the website, the "source of the story" is indeed from Saga Prefecture History Records (whether this is fiction or real). In addition, There are some similarities between "screenplays and story plotting" about a scenario like this one of the latest CyberAgent (and CyGames) animes where it is possible to "put the heart of the story" in the backstory sets in the past, not only in the main timeline" (Idoly Pride and Seton Gakuen also uses that concept).
May 27, 2021 10:23 AM

Apr 2020
teofilusSW said:
Bukan hehehe (I'm Indonesian too btw).

These are really the backstory episodes (Saga Jihen does have its own sub-plot, this is just the first part of the story itself).

You see, in the official synopsis on the website, the "source of the story" is indeed from Saga Prefecture History Records (whether this is fiction or real). In addition, There are some similarities between "screenplays and story plotting" about a scenario like this one of the latest CyberAgent (and CyGames) animes where it is possible to "put the heart of the story" in the backstory sets in the past, not only in the main timeline" (Idoly Pride and Seton Gakuen also uses that concept).

I was referring to the one who watch on Muse Indo, I'll look down in the live chat they assuming it's just a film shooting. If you watch from there I'm sure you notice on the end of the episode. Saga Jihen is also a Franchouchou' song on first season. Also I love you mentioned Seton Gakuen.
RakabatMay 27, 2021 10:29 AM
May 27, 2021 10:56 AM

Oct 2017
Some pretty good BGM this episode.
May 27, 2021 11:02 AM

Mar 2018
I was super surprised when it ended there. Honestly this episode was a little boring I’m glad we got her backstory but it kind of feels like they’re just re-creating the shows plot but in the old era this time. Most of the episode was surrounding that guy and not Yugiri herself:/. I’m hoping the next episode will reveal something great. Also just a theory but this episode is a little eery like I thought the appearances of the girls was just theyre identical ancestors? But then the dog showed up and i was like? I had a quick thought that maybe this wasn’t real and maybe a play or a dream of some sort? But My belief on this is still low just thought I’d share it. Also Tae??? So I guess she wasn’t born like that. After this arc concludes we only have 3 more episodes and they usually have the last two episodes for some big arc including someone everyone. I really hope Tae is explored before the series ends.
May 27, 2021 11:06 AM

Jul 2014
I felt my eyes roll into the back of my head at the ridiculousness of past incarnations of our present group of characters all just happening to coexist in Saga at the same time in forms almost identical to what we know of them in the present day; this happens a lot when shows set in the present day flash back to the past like this, and it makes me roll my eyes every time.

That aside, it's an interesting detail that necromancy is more or less a family business for Kiichi and that he presumably passed this down until the knowledge reached Koutarou. There is of course still the question of how the body of Yugiri was able to preserved for almost 200 years (and how the others before Sakura were preserved for any length of time), but I'm going to guess that's part of the family's knowledge of necromancy.
May 27, 2021 11:09 AM

Oct 2017
Finally glad to see Yugiri backstory but sure wasn't expecting to see the other characters' ancestors in it.
May 27, 2021 11:18 AM

Sep 2019
Is that someone's dream or her actual backstory? Seeing everyone was nice but it'd be weird if it's her backstory unless they connect those characters somehow.
May 27, 2021 11:56 AM

Jul 2011
Makes sense everyone appearing around, meaning their families are truly from Saga. Just Yugiri being from another province.

With this episode a thing was truly answered. Yugiri got resurrected by the Bartender. And then passed to Tatsumi.

With the end, where looks like Kiichi is on the watchlist of the government. And knowing that someone will die.
Opens 2 theories for me: Yugiri can be great grandma of Tatsumi and Kiichi couldn't save her, or Kichii left Yugiri to die and kept going with life.

Obs: People don't get how genetics can be strong. How many times you see a post in the internet showing that people look like their ancestors? I seen many times.
BlichoBoyMay 27, 2021 11:59 AM
May 27, 2021 12:05 PM

Dec 2013
I'm so glad Yugiri finally had her very own episode, and better yet 2 of them, now it makes sense why it wouldn't really fit for the 1st season and instead having it here having its own pace is so much better, so we got to see everyone's ancestors but the real mystery has to be Romero.
May 27, 2021 12:23 PM

Sep 2020
Finally we get to learn about Yuugiri, I was excited at first but when Sakura showed up I was worried this was gonna be a wonderland episode or something but it seems they just put the other members in with parts not related to the story so I think it's still canon and whatever.

This is one of the slower episodes but I still really like it, this Koutarou kind of guy makes you realize why Yuugiri actually wants to help the others save saga, she already helped someone else do it too. Maybe it was Koutarou's ancestor, he did talk about having the power to revive people.

Overall a very interesting episode, can't wait to see what happens next week.

May 27, 2021 12:32 PM

Dec 2020
This a different episode its the meiji age(名義).
It was a entertaining episode for sure.Yuugiri backstory is finally there.
P O S I T I V E V I B E Sシ

May 27, 2021 12:36 PM

Apr 2015
Finally the Yugiri backstory I wanted. I really love how they added the rest of the Franchouchou into the Meiji Era as well. Was a nice detail! The Tae appearence was great, finally a sound that actually made sense. Even Kotaro and the officer get their own Meiji Era equivalents.
May 27, 2021 2:01 PM

Mar 2019
I have no idea what was real and what was a joke this episode lmao
May 27, 2021 2:17 PM

Jun 2014
It's great to finally see Yugiri's backstory, her and Tae are the 2 members that we seem to have the least amount of knowledge about. Kiichi's friend seems shady af and looks like he's up to no good, and it seems like he doesn't exactly agree with Kiichi's goal to bring Saga back, so maybe he's conspiring against him behind his back. Guess we'll see next week.

Also, I liked the little detail of showing the other Franchouchou members. I'm assuming they won't have any relevance or significance aside from making cameo appearances, but it was funny to see them all in this era lol.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

May 27, 2021 2:48 PM

Sep 2017
Anyone know what the note at the end said? The subs didn't translate it
May 27, 2021 3:21 PM

Jan 2011
Best Zombieland episode of all time. I'm glad they saved her development for so long. My new favorite girl by far. It makes me want to rewatch season one.
May 27, 2021 4:02 PM

Jun 2017
Amazing episode, Yuugiri has probably the second biggest role in all the Saga craziness when it comes to its roots. (and Romero could be a very old zombie dog which is interesting as well)

I don't trust the friend dude, seems pretty suspicious.

It was fun seeing the cameos of others.
May 27, 2021 4:07 PM

Mar 2013
Kiichi's grandpa seems a bit like the old guy who owns the bar Kotaro visits.
Slice of Life Anime about the everyday life of a German Philosopher: Nietzschijou.
May 27, 2021 4:14 PM

Mar 2013

Saki and Lily are related? Their great-great-great-grandmothers are sisters?
Slice of Life Anime about the everyday life of a German Philosopher: Nietzschijou.
May 27, 2021 5:12 PM
Oct 2020
Finally the backstory of the most mysterious member of Franchouchou. Can’t wait for part 2 next week!
May 27, 2021 5:13 PM

Sep 2017
Pretty interesting episode. Actually a bit of mystery to it. I think all the other girls appearing is just a reference but I feel like the Koutarou character might actually be Koutarou. Would be pretty interesting story development.
May 27, 2021 5:52 PM

Nov 2011
Don't lose focus that this was a Yuugiri backstory and nothing outside of good direction by putting everyone else in the Meiji era. I was actually worried that they would give Tae lines but thankfully they did not.

Actually a really good episode. I assume Kiichi does have some sort of relation to either Koutarou OR The Bartender that Koutarou often visits. It is still unknown to a degree who brought these girls back from the dead.

Considering the scar around Yuugiri's neck my guess is Itou instructed that homeless person to decapitate her. Since she is boosting and supporting Kiichi's goal of revitalizing Saga. Itou is probably 100% against it.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

May 27, 2021 6:24 PM
Mar 2018
Could someone translate the letter that was shown in the end?
May 27, 2021 7:13 PM

Dec 2014
Very interesting, loving the change of pace and era for that matter to explore Yugiri's past.

The cameo of all the other members leading different lives in a different time was great too. Very interested to see what happens next.
May 27, 2021 7:31 PM

Jan 2021
That Itou guy seems like he is going to play a big part into the death of Yugiri.

May 27, 2021 7:57 PM
Jun 2017
love this episode... this time we are seeing what happened years post Meiji war... or where Saga lost is name on the map... very interesting episode
May 27, 2021 7:57 PM
Jun 2017
Cikciao said:
Could someone translate the letter that was shown in the end?

im too interested in that one, as it seems an important letter
May 27, 2021 8:59 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
The long awaited Yugiri backstory is finally here. I can understand why they waited considering it seems to be intertwined with the very premise of the show. We finally learn that this old man, who presumably passed down from generation to generation, has the power to resurrect the dead for some reason. Now we know how the girls came back.

Yugiri seems to lead a bit of a melancholic life. While she's free, she's also alone. But it looks like Kotaro's ancestor has been the first person she's really conversed with in a while.

Speaking of Kotaro's ancestor, he's got the hots for Yugiri, but who can blame him? But he too wants to save Saga, like Kotaro.

As with all backstories in this show, it will not have a happy ending. Yugiri has always had that mark around her neck, which presumably means she was decapitated. Next episode could be doozy.

I found it funny how all the other Franchouchou member's ancestors are there too, even with their modern hairstyles. We got so close to a Tae voice line too.

This was a very different kind of episode for this show.
May 27, 2021 9:26 PM

Apr 2017
As many have said, finally Yugiri's backstory!

But honestly, I'm not feeling this season's story at all. It has very weird pacing and disjointed story arc. Mizuno Ai's arc was really great but after that the group's development pretty much went no where. Lily's episode added nothing. Hanakana's weird filler episode added nothing. Now suddenly the story went back to Meiji era out of nowhere. No preface, no narrative, nada. It's so disconnected from the main story that it makes it so jarring to watch.

PS: I wonder how many men have Yugiri slept with. Please hentai artist we need more.
May 27, 2021 9:41 PM

Feb 2014
Yugiri turned out to be legendary. Hope they tell the legendary Tae's backstory too.

Xystus said:

PS: I wonder how many men have Yugiri slept with. Please hentai artist we need more.

She didn't sleep with anyone. She became legendary due to her popularity as courtesan and nobody could afford her services.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

May 27, 2021 9:48 PM
Jul 2018
Currently, Yuugiri's backstory is by far the most interesting out of all the Franchouchou members.
May 27, 2021 10:07 PM

Jul 2016
First part of the episodes focused on Yuugiri's backstory and I gotta say it's being rather interesting so far. Yuugiri as the legendary courtesan is truly beautiful but seems to lead a quite lonely and aimless life after her partner died. In this aspect, I guess Kiichi's strong desire of wanting Saga to resurface will inspire her to find her own goal in life as well.
Unfortunately, it seems things will most likely end in tragedy since it seems Kiichi's friend works for the government and the idea of a person wanting to start a revolution can only mean troubles for them.
This said, I assume Yuugiri will get beheaded as a result of her supporting Kiichi's goal. Wonder if we will get feels next week tho.
SouthRzVaMay 27, 2021 10:13 PM
May 28, 2021 12:39 AM
Aug 2020
I'm the only one that think that this season is far better than first?
May 28, 2021 2:11 AM

Mar 2017
This episode adds so much to the story. Brilliant episode.
May 28, 2021 3:35 AM

Oct 2020
Marinate1016 said:
Ten said:

I didn’t see the others, interesting

Every cameo in order.

May 28, 2021 5:26 AM

Oct 2016
Holy shit, this Tae backstory is even better than I expected. We also getting presumably Kotaro's ancestor's backstory and that bartender dude. So, the zombie powers must be passed down through the family probably. Maybe Sakura's death is what made Kotaro look up on necromancy and then he eventually found out he's family's history. I didn't expect some deep lore in my idol show but, LET'S FUCKING GO. Zombieland Saga transcends the idol genre.

That Itou dude probably asked that bum to kill our legendary Yuugiri or maybe not. Would be nice to see a translation of the note at the end there. I'd say that Yuugiri must be Kotaro's ancestor but, Yuugiri probably dies before she gets together with Kiichi, so Kotari and Yuugiri being related is unlikely. Really looking forward to the next episode!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Zombieland Saga: Revenge Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2021

235 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Apr 10, 2:52 PM

Poll: » Zombieland Saga: Revenge Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 3, 2021

109 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Apr 9, 12:47 PM

Poll: » Zombieland Saga: Revenge Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 29, 2021

120 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Apr 6, 4:27 PM

Poll: » Zombieland Saga: Revenge Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 8, 2021

172 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Apr 6, 1:41 PM

Poll: » Zombieland Saga: Revenge Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 6, 2021

113 by Karva1 »»
Apr 2, 3:46 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.