Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 24, 2021 10:26 AM

Jun 2020
Guys, i am not a guy that cares so much about MAL scores, but people that want to start an anime will most likely come to this site. Compared to IMDb, the ratings are so low, even for Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood (not even 9,2 anymore). Some friends of mine wanted to start anime and asked me to show the ratings and they said they're to low even for the top 10 ranked anime, and there aren't even 10 animes with a 9+/10. So, just a suggestion, even if I think this will never be added, I would find critique ratings way better.

Don't get mad because of my forum please, this is just a suggestion thread, please don't insult or something :) I wanna hear your opinions
May 24, 2021 10:34 AM

Sep 2018
What's the problem with mean scores being too low? If scores were normalised (as it should be), mean scores would be even lower.
May 24, 2021 10:36 AM

Jun 2020
Nirinbo said:
What's the problem with mean scores being too low? If scores were normalised (as it should be), mean scores would be even lower.
Im very sure that some underrated animes will go on a 9. This is an anime only site and even here animes doesn t have a 9,3+ rating, and there are lots of bots used here to boost/decrease score over some animes
May 24, 2021 10:36 AM

Jun 2020
Nirinbo said:
Im very sure that some underrated animes will go on a 9. This is an anime only site and even here animes doesn t have a 9,3+ rating, and there are lots of bots used here to boost/decrease score over some animes
May 24, 2021 10:38 AM

Jun 2020
KaiserHamuel said:
I think the ratings are too high lol. Very few people arte anime on imbd compared to mal therefore the ratings are higher. It’s not rocket science. I personally don’t give toss what some random French ‘film journalist’ thinks. Plus you shouldn’t let ratings alone decide whether you want to watch something. You’ll never find hidden gems that way.
New watcher in almost most cases search for the highest rated ones
May 24, 2021 10:41 AM

Feb 2020
lmao. I think the mal scores are higher than it's supposed to be. Even then, higher scores don't always mean the show is better than one with a relatively lower score. To take an example, SW: The Last Jedi. Rotten Tomatoes gives it a 90% when I thought the movie was absolute garbage and a disgrace to the og Star Wars trilogy.

Ratings don't really matter. It's all subjective. I'd tell your friends to watch whatever piques their interest or just suggest some starter anime handpicked by yourself.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 24, 2021 10:41 AM

Jun 2016
Shawshank redemption, the highest rated movie on IMDb (great movie btw) is at 9.3, not that much higher than mal's highest rated anime.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
May 24, 2021 10:42 AM

Jun 2020
Theo1899 said:
Shawshank redemption, the highest rated movie on IMDb (great movie btw) is at 9.3, not that much higher than mal's highest rated anime.
8,98 (lets say 9) to 9,3 is like 0,3 difference, its kinda big lol:))
May 24, 2021 10:43 AM

Jun 2020
SurplusSugar said:
lmao. I think the mal scores are higher than it's supposed to be. Even then, higher scores don't always mean the show is better than one with a relatively lower score. To take an example, SW: The Last Jedi. Rotten Tomatoes gives it a 90% when I thought the movie was absolute garbage and a disgrace to the og Star Wars trilogy.

Ratings don't really matter. It's all subjective. I'd tell your friends to watch whatever piques their interest or just suggest some starter anime handpicked by yourself.
Idk if they re high, anyway, i agree in the rest with u:) great to find a grand blue fan!!
May 24, 2021 10:44 AM

Jun 2016
georgemehh1 said:
Theo1899 said:

Where did that 8.98 come from? I thought we were comparing the top ratings of MAL and IMDb.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
May 24, 2021 10:45 AM

Jun 2020
KaiserHamuel said:
georgemehh1 said:
New watcher in almost most cases search for the highest rated ones

Well I’m pretty sure I went for the most popular ones first not highest rated. And then just went by what looked interesting.
Anyway how high do ratings need to be for someone what to watch something. If it’s over a six then I’m usually down. If everything over a nine and eight then it would decrease the value and legitimacy of the ones that are there making rating things pointless. Also it’s better to have the majority decide rather than the minority regardless of the outcome.
Tbh after i finished naruto (first anime) i watched 4 more, underrated, then i started to watch high rated shows like hxh fmab steins gate, i think the top is a great suggestion, even if not all of them are the best
May 24, 2021 10:46 AM

Jun 2020
KaiserHamuel said:
georgemehh1 said:

The highest rated is 9.17 though not 8.98
U said highest rated movie not tv show. The highest rated movie is a silent voice
May 24, 2021 10:48 AM

Dec 2020
KaiserHamuel said:
I think the ratings are too high lol. Very few people arte anime on imbd compared to mal therefore the ratings are higher. It’s not rocket science. I personally don’t give toss what some random French ‘film journalist’ thinks. Plus you shouldn’t let ratings alone decide whether you want to watch something. You’ll never find hidden gems that way.

This is the core problem.
People will give more weight to popularity rather than if the person speaking is really qualified to talk about cinema/music/visual arts/anime.
Those without the same ability to directly benefit from the cognitive authority of their blind fanboys have to rely more on novelty to be noticed.
I almost want to start a thread on this...
georgemehh1 said:
Guys, i am not a guy that cares so much about MAL scores, but people that want to start an anime will most likely come to this site. Compared to IMDb, the ratings are so low, even for Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood (not even 9,2 anymore). Some friends of mine wanted to start anime and asked me to show the ratings and they said they're to low even for the top 10 ranked anime, and there aren't even 10 animes with a 9+/10. So, just a suggestion, even if I think this will never be added, I would find critique ratings way better.

Don't get mad because of my forum please, this is just a suggestion thread, please don't insult or something :) I wanna hear your opinions

Score are never really set in stone, popularity can shift...
I think that someone who is really interested in discovering anime will watch a little of everything, older and newer shows, to get some sense of the medium...

“You’ve never succeeded at anything and you never will, and do you know why? Because you are vulgar, irremediably vulgar, and not only are you vulgar, you are ordinary.” - Maurice Pialat’s We Won't Grow Old Together (1972)
May 24, 2021 10:49 AM

Jun 2020
KaiserHamuel said:
georgemehh1 said:
U said highest rated movie not tv show. The highest rated movie is a silent voice

‘not that much higher than mal's highest rated anime’
Not movie
oh I understand, but the highest rated on imdb is planet earth 2 and has 9,5
May 24, 2021 10:50 AM

Oct 2008
Not a bad suggestion, but the users here will be slightly put off by it. Most of us, myself included don't like changes made to what we are already familiar with. You know it's like that dumb frace "why fix something that isn't broken". In our case, it's more like "when in Rome do as the romans".

Then scores on MAL are low, because the majority of users here are elitists. If those who read this are offended, don't be, to much trouble. I will add that Anilist is more reasonable in that regard, not that I'll defect to that site.
May 24, 2021 10:52 AM
Jul 2018
What do you mean? According to the Top Anime list, the mean scores of the top 10 anime range from 8.99-9.17. Those are very good ratings. I don't understand what you mean by "critique ratings." Are you saying that you would prefer a more professional analysis of animes? You have to keep in mind that sites like MAL encompass users of all ages. So people's ability to critically and honestly analyze writing varies.
removed-userMay 24, 2021 11:18 AM
May 24, 2021 10:53 AM

Jun 2019
The lower the scores, the lower will be their expectations and less disappointed those newcomers will be when a show didn't live up to its hype. The ones who will eventually realize how pointless general scores and top anime lists are but want to explore anyway, will become the "true fans" of the medium. The rest would exploit their freedom of speech rights on social media via spamming lame opinions.

A mere float number won't stay afloat in front of the sheer dedication and open-mindedness of an avid fan or those who want to become one. Plus you have "top reviews" which more likely have given high scores than not, to most of acclaimed shows out there. That should work as per your suggestion, I'd reckon.~

ブレ
ブレ
ブレ
ブレ

May 24, 2021 11:19 AM
May 2019
Since ratings are subjective and by the average viewer, usually based on feelings, I don't rely on the ratings. When looking for the next anime to watch, I always read the synopsis. If it sounds interesting then I will watch it or add it to my "to watch" list. If you want to pick an anime based on it's rating, be
sure to read the synopsis to decide on whether or not you want to watch it. I have been a Sci-fi/fantasy fan ever since a friend of mine introduced me to the genre back in 1969 and since I am not a professional critic, my ratings are not based on the art work, and technical attributes, unless they are really bad, but on did the anime draw my imagination into the story as if I was there. The goal of authors of any book, movie or anime is to succeed in entertaining and drawing the viewer into the story they are telling. I find that my ratings are a little higher than those on MAL but are more in line with ratings on other sites.
May 24, 2021 11:35 AM
Oct 2019
i think its a good thing that scores are low. When people score things in a vast range including numbers from 1-10, it can help people further differentiate their taste and compare how they think certain shows stack up against other shows
May 24, 2021 11:35 AM

Jul 2020
Why don't your friends just watch the highest rated anime?

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
May 24, 2021 11:38 AM
Aug 2020
The ratings on this site are too high because a lot of people rate from 5-10 with 7 as average.
May 24, 2021 11:41 AM

Dec 2020
KaiserHamuel said:
DYNASTIA said:

This is the core problem.
People will give more weight to popularity rather than if the person speaking is really qualified to talk about cinema/music/visual arts/anime.
Those without the same ability to directly benefit from the cognitive authority of their blind fanboys have to rely more on novelty to be noticed.
I almost want to start a thread on this...

It’s art. Anyone is qualified to talk about it. That’s the point. Also these critics basically all agree with each other which makes things boring.

Except no, everyone's viewpoints doesn't hold the same importance.
And if you say otherwise, you'll have to prove it.
I know nothing about sculpture, for example, so I wouldn't have anything of substance to say about the medium.
How often do you see morons on the internet confusing modern art and contemporary art?
Democracy has created the biggest blow to art, making every proletarian novice think that his opinion is worthy of those who have studied the arts and are able to replace works within their historical context, compare them, ect...

“You’ve never succeeded at anything and you never will, and do you know why? Because you are vulgar, irremediably vulgar, and not only are you vulgar, you are ordinary.” - Maurice Pialat’s We Won't Grow Old Together (1972)
May 24, 2021 11:43 AM

Feb 2021
Why would anyone only watch anime (or any other medium) based on scores?

IMDB only has 5 films rated 9.0 or higher (Shawshank, Godfather I and II, Dark Knight and 12 Angry Men). Would anyone say those are the only 5 films worth watching? Would anyone even say those are the absolute best films ever?

MAL has 9 anime with a 9.0 or higher score (FMAB, AoT S3P2 and S4P1, Steins;Gate, a bunch of Gintama, HxH and LotGH) so, comparatively it's even more generous than IMDB.

IMDBs top anime is Sen to Chihiro with a 8.6 score (it's the #1 anime, #22 overall). Here on MAL it has an 8.81 score (#26 overall).

So it's not a MAL "problem" (I don't even think it is a problem).

Personally I think mean scores are usually too high, but that's up to each user to decide how they want to score. I think a bunch of 8s, 7s and 6s should probably be 7s, 6s and 5s.
May 24, 2021 11:44 AM

Jun 2020
Scordolo said:
“The score is too low, i better watch shows ranked higher like breaking bad”
May 24, 2021 11:47 AM

Jun 2020
zepenedo said:

IMDB only has 5 films rated 9.0 or higher (Shawshank, Godfather I and II, Dark Knight and 12 Angry Men). Would anyone say those are the only 5 films worth watching? Would anyone even say those are the absolute best films ever?

MAL has 9 anime with a 9.0 or higher score (FMAB, AoT S3P2 and S4P1, Steins;Gate, a bunch of Gintama, HxH and LotGH) so, comparatively it's even more generous than IMDB.

IMDBs top anime is Sen to Chihiro with a 8.6 score (it's the #1 anime, #22 overall). Here on MAL it has an 8.81 score (#26 overall).

Personally I think mean scores are usually too high, but that's up to each user to decide how they want to score. I think a bunch of 8s, 7s and 6s should probably be 7s, 6s and 5s.
The highest rated anime on imdb is still fmab and has 9,1 and then hxh aot dn and idk if there are more
May 24, 2021 12:05 PM

Feb 2021
georgemehh1 said:
zepenedo said:

The highest rated anime on imdb is still fmab and has 9,1 and then hxh aot dn and idk if there are more

Sorry, you're right, I didn't take IMDBs top tv shows into account, I only looked at the top 250 list, which is only films.

Still, IMDB has 27 shows rated 9.0 or higher. Out of those, 14 are documentary shows (which are a whole other category that MAL doesn't have access to, so let's exclude those) and 4 are animated shows. Then there's Band of Brothers, Breaking Bad, Chernobyl, Game of Thrones, The Sopranos, Sherlock and the Twilight Zone.

Let's break it down:
- Band of Brothers, Breaking Bad and The Sopranos seem to have been able to stand the test of time, they were classics as soon as they came out;
- Game of Thrones has zero rewatch value after the dumpster fire that was the last season, so its score will eventually drop below 9, especially once the VFX start to age badly;
- Chernobyl is a mini-series (amazing by the way), 6 great episodes but that's it;
- Twilight Zone is fine, but it's an anthology show (the best episodes are probably 10s or 9s, but the lesser episodes are easily 3s and 4s, people seem to score it based only on the best episodes, which is not fair);
- I like Sherlock, but I really doubt it's score will remain above 9 for long.

So basically there's only 3 shows who are really solid 9s on IMDB. You can add the 4 animated shows and you still only have 7 overall. Even if you add Chernobyl and the Twilight Zone, you still only have 9.

Considering that IMDB has live-action, animation, documentary, student short films and everything everyone has ever shot and MAL only has Japanese animation, I'd say MAL's scores are quite fair in comparison.
May 24, 2021 12:09 PM

Jun 2020
zepenedo said:
georgemehh1 said:

Sorry, you're right, I didn't take IMDBs top tv shows into account, I only looked at the top 250 list, which is only films.

Still, IMDB has 27 shows rated 9.0 or higher. Out of those, 14 are documentary shows (which are a whole other category that MAL doesn't have access to, so let's exclude those) and 4 are animated shows. Then there's Band of Brothers, Breaking Bad, Chernobyl, Game of Thrones, The Sopranos, Sherlock and the Twilight Zone.

Let's break it down:
- Band of Brothers, Breaking Bad and The Sopranos seem to have been able to stand the test of time, they were classics as soon as they came out;
- Game of Thrones has zero rewatch value after the dumpster fire that was the last season, so its score will eventually drop below 9, especially once the VFX start to age badly;
- Chernobyl is a mini-series (amazing by the way), 6 great episodes but that's it;
- Twilight Zone is fine, but it's an anthology show (the best episodes are probably 10s or 9s, but the lesser episodes are easily 3s and 4s, people seem to score it based only on the best episodes, which is not fair);

So basically there's only 3 shows who are really solid 9s on IMDB. You can add the 4 animated shows and you still only have 7 overall. Even if you add Chernobyl and the Twilight Zone, you still only have 9.

Considering that IMDB has live-action, animation, documentary, student short films and everything everyone has ever shot and MAL only has Japanese animation, I'd say MAL's scores are quite fair in comparison.
hmm, u got a point but if u look up on the top 250 u will se its not updated, there are more than 40 shows with 9+ but i agree with the rest of ur argument
May 24, 2021 12:15 PM

Oct 2018
It's not that mean scores are low here. It's that they're ridiculously high on IMDb and other sites.
【🇳​🇪​🇼​ 🇵​🇷​🇴​🇫​🇮​🇱​🇪​ 🇩​🇪​🇸​🇮​🇬​🇳​】

I accept all friend requests! - Feel free to add me!

May 24, 2021 12:16 PM

Jul 2020
georgemehh1 said:
Scordolo said:

Lmao.It literally seems like your friends are just making an excuse to not watch anime.
georgemehh1 said:
zepenedo said:

Let's break it down:

hmm, u got a point but if u look up on the top 250 u will se its not updated, there are more than 40 shows with 9+ but i agree with the rest of ur argument

Imdb is not reliable.The rating system is pointless if there are 40+ shows are above 9.I mean,not that the ratings here are reliable either but the ratings here are far better than on Imdb.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
May 24, 2021 12:16 PM

Jun 2020
Scordolo said:
georgemehh1 said:

Lmao.It literally seems like your friends are just making an excuse to not watch anime.
Yeah u are right ://// only some of them started
May 24, 2021 7:24 PM

Jan 2020
At the rate it's going, there's gonna be less and less series with a rating of 9+ and it's a bit sad but there's nothing that can be done about it

May 24, 2021 11:26 PM

Dec 2012
I feel any kind of collectively generated scores are practically useless. I'm perfectly capable of forming my own opinion (which supersedes others' until I decide to change it) and am just going to give it a score of my own anyway which may or may not agree with the popular opinion.
KruszerMay 24, 2021 11:32 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

May 24, 2021 11:28 PM

May 2021
no anime deserves a rating over 9 except the ones that i gave a >9 so thats ok, the scores are meant to be compared between each others anyways not in a vacuum

May 25, 2021 1:06 AM

Jun 2020
ManWild said:
At the rate it's going, there's gonna be less and less series with a rating of 9+ and it's a bit sad but there's nothing that can be done about it
yeah only fmab will have a 9 :))) or fmab and steins gate
May 25, 2021 1:26 AM

Jan 2013
If you're going to compare site scores to each other you need to keep in mind the amount of people actively scoring these shows. I don't know about IMDb but I imagine MAL has had more frequent users for a longer period of time which in turn affects the shows. That versus people who go out of their way to score on IMDb and don't regularly participate there. I am just speculating tho.

(Do people hang on IMDb? I have zero clue what that would look like).

But anyway, so saying "they're too low even for the top 10 ranked anime" is a relative notion. One where they may not be considering all the variables.

ChandelaMay 25, 2021 1:30 AM
May 25, 2021 1:36 AM

Jun 2020
Chandela said:
If you're going to compare site scores to each other you need to keep in mind the amount of people actively scoring these shows. I don't know about IMDb but I imagine MAL has had more frequent users for a longer period of time which in turn affects the shows. That versus people who go out of their way to score on IMDb and don't regularly participate there. I am just speculating tho.

(Do people hang on IMDb? I have zero clue what that would look like).

But anyway, so saying "they're too low even for the top 10 ranked anime" is a relative notion. One where they may not be considering all the variables.

imdb is a tracking site just like mal where there are animes, cartoons, movies, real tv shows, everything. overall is more used than mal because it has every show, but idk how many votes are ffor the animes

More topics from this board

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 5 hours ago

19 by APolygons2 »»
4 minutes ago

» Is watching a show for the cute girl weird?

fallout45 - 26 minutes ago

7 by traed »»
4 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Today

42 by Kenzolo-folk »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » What is your most common reason for rewatching anime?

MeanMrMusician - Apr 22

36 by bucciest »»
9 minutes ago

» Is there hope for classic super robots?

Timeline_man - 2 hours ago

2 by APolygons2 »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.