Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 5, 2021 8:23 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
I personally can't fathom the idea of giving anime other than my absolute favorites 10s. Shouldn't 10/10 your ultimate standard?
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 5, 2021 8:24 PM
Jul 2018
yeah, i only give 10s out to stuff i absolutely love and blew me away
May 5, 2021 8:25 PM

Mar 2020
Because I rate based on enjoyment. If I enjoyed something, it's an easy 10.
May 5, 2021 8:26 PM

Mar 2017
I hand out 10/10s so easily because the average score is usually 8-9 and I'm not going to rate it below average.
May 5, 2021 8:27 PM

Jan 2021
10 is reserved for aot for now...might change it if i watch something better

:D Forg
May 5, 2021 8:27 PM
Jul 2018
Eh. I struggle with defining and scoring 10s myself. So I can't really judge.
May 5, 2021 8:28 PM
🦆👑

Jan 2020
I only save 10/10s for my favorites but everyone has their own way of doing things. Some people give 10/10s to things if they got just a sliver of enjoyment out of it and that's fine

May 5, 2021 8:33 PM
Oct 2020
I sometimes give a 10 to a show initially, then if I can't remember a lot of the details of the show after a few months or years, I usually drop the rating.
May 5, 2021 8:36 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
Judevin said:
So do most people including me, but how can you find so many shows that you love as much as a 10/10?
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
May 5, 2021 8:39 PM

Sep 2020
I rate anime based on my enjoyment. So, all boring anime deserves a 1, even if it has no flaws.

WHAT A LAUGHABLE ATTEMPT.
YOU SHOULD JUST STAY WHERE YOU ARE
, GROVELING AT MY FEET

P.S. PLEASE HELP ME GAIN MORE PROFILE VIEWS
May 5, 2021 8:39 PM

Sep 2018
I do not give 10/10s that easily, but if I consider a anime the best of the best I can give that score. Enjoyment is the biggest factor for a review.
May 5, 2021 8:40 PM

Oct 2020
I usually score the plot, animation, characters, etc. first, then I decide what overall score to rate it.

In this world shrouded in darkness, I learned there was someone who’d been struggling along with me. That alone is enough.

May 5, 2021 8:41 PM

Jul 2020
Hmm this reminds me of this one thread I made a while back. I mean sometimes people enjoy whatever they're watching 100% from start to finish.

But I only have one 10 so I can't say much :P
n6ahMay 5, 2021 8:44 PM
May 5, 2021 8:43 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
strob3 said:
I usually score the plot, animation, characters, etc. first, then I decide what overall score to rate it.
That is okay and all but how can so many shows be 10/10 even if we consider all these things you mentioned, is what makes my head scratch when I see guys rating > 5% shows they have watched 10/10.
May 5, 2021 8:45 PM

Oct 2020
cchigu said:
strob3 said:
That is okay and all but how can so many shows be 10/10 even if we consider all these things you mentioned, is what makes my head scratch when I see guys rating > 5% shows they have watched 10/10.

That was just my opinion, and I'm sure ppl who easily scores anime 10 has there reason for doing so.

In this world shrouded in darkness, I learned there was someone who’d been struggling along with me. That alone is enough.

May 5, 2021 8:49 PM

Jan 2021
I only rate anime based on my enjoyment. If the anime I watch feels bored, I will give a small rating. Otherwise, I will give a high rating.
May 5, 2021 9:00 PM
𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓞𝓷𝓮

Jul 2020
Welcome to the Internet, I guess you must be new since you don't know that everyone's free to rate whatever they want the score they want to. That's how it goes.

What's it to you, anyway? Why should it matter to you how I feel about an Anime? I'm tired of seeing this type of thread it's just a score, get over it already ._.

anime list -~~- manga list
May 5, 2021 9:04 PM

Mar 2020
cchigu said:
Judevin said:
So do most people including me, but how can you find so many shows that you love as much as a 10/10?
I don't know, man. Ratings are just opinions, different people have different opinions.
May 5, 2021 9:04 PM

Sep 2014
MHAisTrueKing said:
I rate anime based on my enjoyment. So, all boring anime deserves a 1, even if it has no flaws.

I'd say providing boredome is a pretty solid flaw.
May 5, 2021 9:05 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
Zach-chan said:
Welcome to the Internet, I guess you must be new since you don't know that everyone's free to rate whatever they want the score they want to. That's how it goes.

What's it to you, anyway? Why should it matter to you how I feel about an Anime? I'm tired of seeing this type of thread it's just a score, get over it already ._.
Thank you for enlightening me! I will keep it in mind :)
May 5, 2021 9:15 PM

May 2019
I've not given a 10 yet, it'd have to be better than my few 9's. Maybe i should switch my grading up a little. I have too many 7/8s that certainly ain't equal.
May 5, 2021 9:18 PM
Feb 2021
I think it's because that uncritical mentality of "everyone can enjoy what they want" has really taken root in recent years. People don't want to be challenged or think anymore. If they're entertained, that's enough for them, no matter how many plot holes or unlikable characters there are.

As I've been getting into rating media more I've come to realize that I definitely come across as a snob--but is that really a bad thing? I have been personally attacked for having contrarian views and not "letting people enjoy what they enjoy." People don't want to be criticized anymore because there's this general agreement about what is accepted as good and what is bad, and it becomes very easy to bow to pressure.

I guess I'm so critical because I actually want people to think about the true quality of media. But most people don't want to do that, even if they can't truly explain why they gave a series a 10.
"Tomatoes are nutritious and scrumptious."--Ryuunoske Akasaka, "The Pet Girl of Sakurasou"

Sword Art Online is mid, not utter trash. Oh yes, I'm such a rebel. 😎
May 5, 2021 9:20 PM

Nov 2008
Because it pisses people off and that sparks joy for me :D

As I've been getting into rating media more I've come to realize that I definitely come across as a snob--but is that really a bead thing?

@Vaguelyweebish

It's only a bad thing if you verbally abuse people their tastes. That's something you shouldn't do; who cares if you disagree about the cartoon? Calling them an "idiot" isn't going to help anyone do anything.

But if you don't do that...if you are able to criticize just the media INSTEAD of the ones watching it, I think that's fine.
ChiibiMay 5, 2021 9:24 PM

May 5, 2021 9:22 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
Chiibi said:
Because it pisses people off and that sparks joy for me :D
Definitely one of the better reasons for sure :D
May 5, 2021 9:35 PM
Jul 2018
i gave 10s to anime like Steins Gate and AOT and no on else , and it don't think it really need explaination
removed-userMay 5, 2021 9:38 PM
May 5, 2021 11:06 PM
𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓞𝓷𝓮

Jul 2020
Vaguelyweebish said:
I think it's because that uncritical mentality of "everyone can enjoy what they want" has really taken root in recent years. People don't want to be challenged or think anymore. If they're entertained, that's enough for them, no matter how many plot holes or unlikable characters there are.

As I've been getting into rating media more I've come to realize that I definitely come across as a snob--but is that really a bad thing? I have been personally attacked for having contrarian views and not "letting people enjoy what they enjoy." People don't want to be criticized anymore because there's this general agreement about what is accepted as good and what is bad, and it becomes very easy to bow to pressure.

I guess I'm so critical because I actually want people to think about the true quality of media. But most people don't want to do that, even if they can't truly explain why they gave a series a 10.

As a matter of fact, I have my fair share of challenges when I'm at work, so whenever I watch Anime, I don't want it to be a freaking puzzle to understand and comprehend. I want it to be entertaining/relaxing/fun to watch/well-animated and of overall decent quality. What's so wrong with that? That doesn't mean I'm not open to discussions about why I feel that way about this Anime and that Anime or whatever. If it fits my taste, I'll like it. If it doesn't then I won't like it, even if it's "accepted as good" or is considered a masterpiece by most.
Furthermore, being able to express how you felt whilst watching/experiencing a series/movie/etc isn't the easiest thing in the world to do for most people. Feelings are an abstract concept that's often hard to grasp and describe. Sure, there are "objective" aspects that can be given as "obvious" reasons for giving a perfect score; the Art was incredible, the animation excellent, the music amazing, etc. But that's all relative to the viewer's previous watching experience. If you were to compare the scores of someone who's watched less than a hundred shows with someone who has watched over a thousand, surely there'd be a noticeable difference between the two of them. Since newcomers do not have anything to base themselves on for their scores other than their first few viewing experiences/their first impressions.
Anyway, the point I'm trying to make here is that everyone is their own unique person that have their own reasons for liking/disliking media and nobody's rating systems are exactly the same. You may like watching media with a critical perspective, and that's absolutely fine, but I don't think saying that "most people don't want to do that (think about the true quality of media)" is justified. Maybe it's not that they don't want to, but that they don't think about doing it or that they simply don't care about flaws and such in media, even if they notice them.

anime list -~~- manga list
May 5, 2021 11:10 PM

Sep 2019
Some people are just more generous and like stuff way more compared to other people, it's not that complicated lol.
May 5, 2021 11:39 PM

Feb 2021
because the Anime is interesting.... that's why..
May 5, 2021 11:42 PM

Jan 2020
Because I can! If I enjoyed it so much and thought it was more special than any of the shows that I've seen, why shouldn't I give it a 10?
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.
May 5, 2021 11:49 PM

Jul 2019
I found Jesus gg.

What else should I do with my list lol?
May 5, 2021 11:54 PM

Feb 2019
Judevin said:

Pretty much same.

So i don't think i need to write more.
May 5, 2021 11:58 PM

Dec 2012
I have a very specific criteria for 10's and anything that fulfills that gets it unquestionably. I've only given 10/10 to ~4% of my total anime, but I would be willing to give my entire list 10/10 if they all met the criteria required.
May 5, 2021 11:59 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
I don't though, while indeed I rate anime purely by enjoyment, only few anime managed to make me enjoy them so much that I give 10 for them.

I dont get critical over an anime but I am not that cheap either that I give 10 just because i like it a bit, that's so not fun :)

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
May 6, 2021 12:10 AM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
i rarely hand out 10/10s so i have no idea as to who on earth you're talkin about
May 6, 2021 12:21 AM

Feb 2020
I try to use the different scores as equally sized enjoyment intervals, so my threshold for a 10/10 might be lower than yours. I also don't have an absolute, incomparable favorite; I have multiple favourites, that I all enjoy to a very similar degree.
May 6, 2021 12:28 AM

Nov 2016
İ assume some people just don't give too much of a fuck about these numbers.
May 6, 2021 12:34 AM

Jul 2016
cchigu said:
I personally can't fathom the idea of giving anime other than my absolute favorites 10s. Shouldn't 10/10 your ultimate standard?

Everything I give a perfect 10 meets my ultimate standard.
May 6, 2021 12:36 AM

Oct 2017
There is no objective methodology of giving ratings; Yes; the scale is from 1-10 but most people don't really utilize the entire scale and that's theirs subjective way of rating which is not against the rules.
May 6, 2021 12:36 AM

Oct 2017
There is no objective methodology of giving ratings; Yes; the scale is from 1-10 but most people don't really utilize the entire scale and that's theirs subjective way of rating which is not against the rules.
May 6, 2021 12:40 AM
Dec 2017
Because for me, ultimately I watch anime for entertainment. As long as I enjoy every single second of the anime and like it enough, giving it a 10 isn't such a huge deal for me.

I mean, yuru camp is one of my fav anime of all time and it's a SOL anime
May 6, 2021 12:43 AM
#borntoboil

Jan 2021
10 If the show amazed me, impressed me and had me hooked till' the very end
i fucking hate manga (keeps reading manga

discord ~ ganjithedude

May 6, 2021 12:47 AM

Aug 2013
Why people even care so much about ratings should be the real question.

I just give whatever I'm feeling like at the moment. I'm not a professional critic, nor anyone else here.
May 6, 2021 1:01 AM
Jul 2018
Why do u care about rating.....
There is no way a single man and a couple of man can impact overall rating....
And if u really wanna know a show rating ,u can just check it on mal...
May 6, 2021 1:07 AM

May 2013
Who said I do?

People will rate however they see fit, it would be boring otherwise.
May 6, 2021 1:15 AM

Jan 2018
cchigu said:

I think many people don't really care or think about it.
There is a review moderator that rates all his anime 10 because he doesn't watch what he doesn't like . And that's fine

It's just that people think differently about their rating .
I try to rate anime so that they basically align with Mal terminology for them (5 being average) but I've seen people that were upset that i didn't give an anime that was perfectly average a 7 or 8.

After all it's average so how could it be as low as a 5 ?
They basically though that 7 was a rating that an average anime should get.

What I'm getting at is that people have different ideas about how ratings should be ^^
May 6, 2021 1:30 AM

Oct 2008
1.Lazy people and people that like anime about as much as they like YouTube. Those are the ones who rate the majority of what they've seen as 10/10.

a) Not criticising anyone, since I'm not that different. I am lazy when it comes to a lot of aspects in my daily life. Plus I spend more time on YouTube then on MAL.

2.Nothing wrong with that, but when some of them say crap like average score is at least 7 or 8/10, in stead of 5/10. I feel that their stupidity overtakes their laziness.

b) Criticising them because people like that are stunted, which I refuse to become.
May 6, 2021 1:45 AM

May 2020
You have to consider that we don't rate the same as other people. So if you see someone give an anime a 10 whereas you gave it a 5 or 6 for example, that's exactly what I explained in the first sentence. For me personally, while I do consider other factors, like animation, music and such, but enjoyment is the most important out of all of them, that's what I think, I even sometimes be lenient and rate an anime a little higher because of enjoyment. So with that, just know people rate anime differently.
May 6, 2021 2:01 AM

Sep 2018
Rating based on enjoyment is not a good reason to hand out too many 10s. I mean, you can always redefine the amount of enjoyment required by a 10, in order to have less of them. "High enjoyment" may correspond to 7-10, not necessarily 10.

I also disagree with those who have 1% of 10s, 2% of 9s and 70% of 7-8 or 6-7. The whole point of scoring anime should be distinguishing what you like more from what you like less. Giving the same score to almost everything doesn't tell much about your taste, be it a 10, a 6 or a 7.
May 6, 2021 2:05 AM

Mar 2019
Different person, different scoring method, i guess.

I play BanG Dream! Girls Band Party

Garupa EN ID: 10759829
Garupa JP ID: 36753163
May 6, 2021 2:15 AM

Dec 2016
Some people really don't give too much importance to differentiating their preferences and just go like "I liked it a lot = 10" and that's all, without overthinking anything.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Parts of anime that you yourself think are silly, but at the same time love?

RobertBobert - Sep 18

23 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
2 minutes ago

» Is there an anime character that you whole-heartedly hate? ( 1 2 3 4 )

swirlydragon - Apr 17, 2021

197 by GalacticMagna »»
15 minutes ago

» Why are certain anime girls considered plain even though they are cute in their own right?

fallout45 - 8 hours ago

11 by Tropisch »»
16 minutes ago

» Hot take: mappa is the mcdonald's of anime studios ( 1 2 3 )

Deathlydash - Sep 19

110 by Alpha-Nine »»
18 minutes ago

» 🎖️Best Protagonist of all time & discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nirererin - Aug 16

653 by Shadow9lives »»
25 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.