Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Feb 23, 2021 7:28 AM
Jul 2018
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
just gonna put this here in case but there is some triggering sh content (scars and stuff) and especially at around 12-13 minutes of this episode. also, is it just me or did the animation/art style look a bit different this episode? mostly in the first bits though

regardless, nice opening scene with them all getting ready for school and stuff. seems like it’s rika’s birthday so happy birthday to her. this episode was very interesting, liked the focus on rika and lots of development for her in this episode too. wonder which one of those guys is her dad though and what happened and why left? also, it was interesting to find out that he was the one who originally said that one phrase that rika always uses. those scenes with ai and rika were quite insightful, she’s really nice and a great friend. it was cool seeing all of the girls talking to rika and saving her there at that fight scene too, nice that they’re always there for each other and glad rika didn’t give in. the animation there was very nice as well, rika looked super badass. kinda wholesome scene there with her mother at the end too i guess?
Feb 23, 2021 7:28 AM

Jul 2017
Going back to school for all 4 girls, that's one step forward.

I'm really glad that we got to see more of Rika's family situation, more than just a normal 14th birthday. The concept of sugar daddies is as tormenting as real life itself, and also explains why Rika's behaviour is nonchalant and rebellious towards her mom.

The Single-Mother duo of Ai and Rika, that also explains why Ai's mom is on and off towards Mr. Sawaki, as is with parental care towards children and forcing them to understand the world of adults. Rika's facade and breakdown, I feel it in every inch of my heart.

If you don't yet understand why Rika's weapon is a knifecutter, the episode of Rika almost inflicting self-harm is the answer. Instead of following what Ai, Neiru and Momoe are trying to commit to saving their Wonder Eggs, Rika does the EXACT opposite by resigning to reality, and then learning to become the parental figure instead. The weak and hurting girl, but with the resilience to live and control her life.

A matically engrossing Rika-centred episode with symbolism.
Feb 23, 2021 7:29 AM

Apr 2019
great character development on Rika. We saw just how much Ai and the others care about her.

Rika still dislikes her mom, but she won't abandon her, not yet.

Feb 23, 2021 7:32 AM

Apr 2020
Happy birthday Rika! and it seems Rika's mother is often drunk, also luckily the turtle protected Rika.

"Rika... don't die" I was so happy when Neiru said that.
Feb 23, 2021 7:38 AM

Jun 2019
So, it was Rika's birthday today. Looks like she doesn't go along well with her family or her mother specifically.
Ai, on the other hand, seemed to be in a good mood. But, it was good while it lasted.
Honestly felt pretty bad for Rika in this episode.
Feb 23, 2021 7:40 AM

Jan 2009
damn thats a nice Rika centered episode eh i really thought she will do suicide that time too with all its just karma or fate going on lecture with the enemy but then her pet saved her and she wants to be a better mother than her own mother in the end which is good

glad that Rika is planning to be out of being codependent with her mother though

Feb 23, 2021 7:41 AM

Feb 2019
I'm quite happy I didn't dismiss Rika's character, she's a cinnamon bun, must protecc. She's setting up some high standards for the other ones to beat in their own 'deeper exploration' episodes to come, I assume. Having a difficult relationship with a parent myself, she's the most relatable character in the show so far for me - and I don't think none of the others are going to beat her. The resentment, the confusion, caring for them even when they're being shitty (the pokemon protecting Rika analogy), it feels so real. This episode made me a Rika stan.

That scene when she almost cuts herself is so well directed and beautiful, it really makes you feel the same hopelessness as her. Rika almost falling prey to a cult leader made sense, after cult leaders tend to target vulnerable people that feel they don't belong anywhere and try to distance potential victims from their families to make them even more susceptible. Rika, already being stranged from her mother and prone to self-mutilation, would be a prime target. It's kinda nice she got away from it by being reminded of the value of familial and friendship (found family) bonds, both by the pokemon and the soul gem radio, even if she doesn't exactly like her mother.

Yeah, good pokemon, coming out of the soul gem to avoid the first death so far.

I still think the show is trying to bite too much though, specially on the worldbuilding front, but we'll see.
KosmonautFeb 23, 2021 7:53 AM
Feb 23, 2021 7:45 AM

Mar 2013
Ah this episode was really good. I was soo surprised at the scene when we saw that Rika's mom also had cuts. (Edit: no it wasn't Rika's mom after all in the magic scene, my bad)
Also someone needs to make a gif from that group hug. That was so wholesome aaaah
Crystalis777Feb 23, 2021 10:22 AM
Something something something
Feb 23, 2021 7:46 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Another really dark and depressing episode focused on Rika this time, I really feel bad for her, she has the worst mother possible and she doesn't even know her father... scarification for her birthday, it sounds really horrible, especially the whole suicide part, I really thought that they'll make her dying in this episode to be honest
Feb 23, 2021 8:02 AM

Oct 2017
This was Rika's redemption episode and this was amazing. First of all Neiru being savage was great as usual. Just feed them to the pets, they are basically haters lol.

The whole Rika's parents thing was done so well. I genuinely felt bad when Rika mentioned how badly she wants to meet her dad and I loved it when Mannen saved her. Through that she realised her mother's value. The last scene was just sweet.
Feb 23, 2021 8:04 AM
Dec 2019
Rika got some more development, it was sad how hearing her say that she doesn't know who her father is, her parents seems to not be responsible and caring of her. Also it was worrying how she gave up in the dream world, thanks Manmen for being there for her because for some reason her friends didn't reach her.

Neiru is just logical, she appreciates Rika but doesn't know how to talk to her about what she was saying about her parents in a less blunt way, it's fine if Rika got offended but that wasn't Neiru's intention, she just wanted to help her. It was great seeing Momoe comfort Neiru, they are becoming close friends.

That scene of the girls at the start was very cute, the fact that Ai doesn't care if she is an outcast in school because she has friends it's so nice.

Also i hope Ai has a real conversation with her mom, Tae hasn't done anything bad for her to be badmouthing her, she has been a very nice and preocuppied if a bit naive mom for her, much different than Rika's mom.

I wonder what next episode has in store for us.
Feb 23, 2021 8:05 AM

Jan 2015
My favorite episode so far

Some triggering stuff aside, this was a great development for Rika. It was a close one for tho, I totally expected her to give up there and die. Thank god it wasn't the case.
Mannen came in and saved the day!
Feb 23, 2021 8:08 AM
Sep 2020
Rikas character development is so amazing. At first I thought she was kind of stuck up but it slowly showed the real her and I feel like so many people who went through father drama can relate to her in a way. I really like seeing the real side of her, can’t wait to see how far she comes
Feb 23, 2021 8:12 AM

Aug 2020
Didn't think it was possible but I hate Rika a little less now. she is a more complex character then I initially thought, I guess the annoying way she acts is just the way she copes. Great development overall!
clannad is the greatest piece of fiction to ever exist.
Feb 23, 2021 8:13 AM
Aug 2020
Fuck... the scene where Rika tries to cut herself hit really close to home (I don't want to talk about it). I'm glad that this show is presenting these uncomfortable topics in a mature way and not using them as an excuse to be edgy like most anime do.
Feb 23, 2021 8:17 AM

Jan 2015
So Rikka's "natural" hair is actually pink instead of blonde. Intersting.
Feb 23, 2021 8:30 AM
Dec 2020
that was heavy, i always liked rika but now we got even more perspective on her character.
beautiful episode
Feb 23, 2021 8:32 AM

Sep 2019
Seeing Rika in pain hurts me a lot. I'm glad she was able to defeat that monster and I guess she's a bit closer to her mom now.

Also, I love Nakata Jouji's voice.
Feb 23, 2021 8:34 AM

Jan 2021
Happy birthday Rika!
She has a complicated situation at home, but I'm glad she found these good friends.
Rika is a very good character (╯✧▽✧)╯
Feb 23, 2021 8:37 AM

Jul 2019
Great episode once again. Rika is such a good character, her personality really is reflected by the environment she is in. Oh and i absolutely loved/hated that scene where she almost cuts herself, wonderfully directed but man was that hard to watch. Did not expect the turtle to save her, a little random in my opinion, but maybe its just because i saw the animals as just animals who fight rather than actual pets that care about you, which is certainly what the show is going for.
Oh and this was once again amazingly animated and directed. Honest question, is this the best animated show of the year already? Besides some rumours about a shingo natsume original, which might not even happen this year, i really cant think of anything of this quality will release this year, animation with this quality really just happens like once every 5 years lol
Feb 23, 2021 8:43 AM

Mar 2019
Seeing Rika cutting herself is already hurting me...it looks just too cruel..but Rika is amazing surely.
Her mother was a real player huh?! Slept with many men
Feb 23, 2021 8:44 AM

Jan 2014
Really rough episode to watch in terms of it's themes, but it was handled very well, and proved to be a great episode all together once again. Always liked Rika from the start, so really felt for her when seeing her struggles. Hope for the best for not only her, but for the others too.
Feb 23, 2021 8:46 AM
Wings

Apr 2017
Hmm. Quite an interesting episode based around Rika this time around.

This episode we got to finally see Rika's real story that has been hinted at thus far, without her continuing her fake front to appear strong this time around.

It's interesting to see her come to an epiphany on that giving up is beneath her, especially if she was willing to give up due to being given up on herself.
LezetFeb 23, 2021 8:49 AM
Feb 23, 2021 8:49 AM

Oct 2020
Losig777 said:
Ah this episode was really good. I was soo surprised at the scene when we saw that Rika's mom also had cuts.
Also someone needs to make a gif from that group hug. That was so wholesome aaaah
I didn't even notice the mom had cuts, when did they show that rika's mom had cuts, I didn't see it
AzyeuFeb 23, 2021 4:16 PM
Feb 23, 2021 8:52 AM

Jul 2020
Rika's past is DEEEP. Loved how they showed her progress through her emotions and honestly one of the best episodes so far. As someone mentioned the art style seemed to change between the normal to a more pastel/ 'blurry' style but I still quite enjoyed it too!
Check out my channel @Criticiza on Youtube to watch my vids ;)

Feb 23, 2021 9:10 AM

May 2020
Mannen was totally the mvp of this ep, he saved Rika twice.
Well obviously Rika's dad was that man with the glasses, since he was in that flashback lol, but I can't wait to see how she'll find out!!!
The scene with those four was so cute, everyone was so worried, those hugs and the sweet smile she got from Neiru, see even she showed she cares about Rika a lot ^^
Feb 23, 2021 9:25 AM
Feb 2021
This episode hit hard and I have never found the appeal on cutting neither did I ever really try it but I have found myself in the situation where I just wanted to die but tbh not genuinely. 1 thing that actually did hit was the parent-child relationship, people just sometimes don't realize that it's a codependence and that we actually do require mutual support. I'm excited to see what the next ep will bring and how these characters overcome it.
Feb 23, 2021 9:26 AM
Feb 2021
Great so far, I just hope it doesn’t become lewd and have unecessary sex scenes to further enforce the awkwardness of Ms Ohto’s relationship with the teacher
Feb 23, 2021 9:26 AM
Feb 2021
This episode hit hard and I have never found the appeal on cutting neither did I ever really try it but I have found myself in the situation where I just wanted to die but tbh not genuinely. 1 thing that actually did hit was the parent-child relationship, people just sometimes don't realize that it's a codependence and that we actually do require mutual support. I'm excited to see what the next ep will bring and how these characters overcome it.
Feb 23, 2021 9:32 AM

Oct 2020
The scene with Rika trying to cut herself was quite heavy to watch. I love how this show never truly shies away from showing these serious issues. Hope she can at least manage to meet her father in the future and her relationship with her mother will continue to improve.

Feb 23, 2021 9:36 AM
Feb 2017
Losig777 said:
Ah this episode was really good. I was soo surprised at the scene when we saw that Rika's mom also had cuts.

What's the timestamp for this? Not sure what scene you're talking about.
Feb 23, 2021 9:45 AM
Feb 2021
Love how the girls have become so dependent on each other. Rika used to hide her true emotions behind her quirky attitude but learning about her true self only justified her behavior. Its amazing she is trying to open up more. She had her low moments now and then, but Rika finally accepting that she is weak and also that it's okay to be weak was the turning point in her life. She is definitely going to be kinder to herself in the future.
Protect Rika at all costs!
Feb 23, 2021 9:46 AM

Mar 2013
SqueemyMeemy said:
Losig777 said:

The scene is at 19:53. Although Neiru didn't join in.
Feb 23, 2021 9:46 AM
May 2020
Absolutely love the writing in this show so far. This episode in particular is no exception to that. Rika's development is coming along nicely, but hopefully, we can get some episodes centered around Neiru and Momoe pretty soon. Really hoping this show can stick the landing and have a relatively satisfying conclusion.
Feb 23, 2021 9:59 AM
Mar 2020
Losig777 said:
SqueemyMeemy said:

I think they were asking for the timestamp for Rika's mom having cuts, which I think I missed too lol.
Feb 23, 2021 10:15 AM

Mar 2013
kinksdrinks said:
Losig777 said:

I think they were asking for the timestamp for Rika's mom having cuts, which I think I missed too lol.

ooh lmao. Well it was in the magic scene kinda so not 100% sure if we should take it literal and I'm not entirely sure either now upon revisiting it, if it really was supposed to be her mom now after all or just another suicide, but it was definitely too interesting to ignore and I kinda interpreted it as that, but I may be totally off in hindsight.

It's at 14:55

Edit: Yeah nvm it looks like this was another suicide person. I was too emotionally invested to have properly caught it haha
Crystalis777Feb 23, 2021 10:27 AM
Feb 23, 2021 10:23 AM
Nov 2019
This is such a step forward for Ai and Rika. I'm loving the way this is developing their characters without forgetting the plot. I can't wait to see what happens next.
Feb 23, 2021 10:23 AM

Aug 2012
idk how to feel abt the message so far being "it's okay to cut if it's to keep urself alive". kinda hope for some scene in later eps that will show rika trying something other/safer than cutting (a rubber band or sth)

also the tone is all over the place in wep lmfaoo but i guess u could see that as chaming rather than sth bad

ワンダーランズ×ショウタイム
Feb 23, 2021 10:32 AM
Oct 2020
I wasn’t sure what to expect when I started this show, but it is really turning out to be something special.
Feb 23, 2021 10:33 AM

Sep 2008
Good episode. At first I did not like Rika at all, that did change a little to the better each episode after her introduction. Now I must say she is the character I can connect most with in the show.
Feb 23, 2021 10:34 AM

Feb 2015
begija said:

I actually don't think that's the case. She had pink hair with some blue highlights when she was an idol (we saw that during her meet&greet-flashback in the episode she was introduced in), so I honestly think the pink hair was part of her idol look.

Another fantastic episode, I really thought we would get our first death for a second there :o
While I understand why Rika is antagonizing her mom, cause she won't tell her about her dad, I also think she's a little too harsh on her. She seems to care about Rika, got her a cake for her birthday and wanted her to buy something nice with the money she gave her. She might not be an ideal mom (she's quite flirty and obviously has an alcohol problem), but she's at least trying, which is rare for parents with that kind of problems/set up. I'm glad she appreciated her mom more in the end.
Ai on the other hand has literally 0 reason to hate her mom right now... is she really that angry about the teacher-dating? So either she really likes him or she really thinks he's the only and actual reason for Koito's death.

Really stoked to see what's happening next - either Neiru or Momo will probably take the spotlight next week! :)
There's no possible way you can steal my heart

I want to drown in this sweet Melancholy
Feb 23, 2021 10:36 AM

Jun 2019
I really thought they were gonna kill Rika off for a second there, but it’s better that they didn’t. She had some great development in this episode, learning to accept that her mom is trying her best despite her flaws while not completely absolving her of fault.

I also liked how this episode was more subtle regarding the symbolism. The cut she received on her arm could also have been done by herself after she returned the turtle inside then pendant, with the turtle and her friends helping her regain her will to live.

I’m excited to see where it goes from here.
Feb 23, 2021 10:56 AM

Jul 2011
I was having cold sweat thinking that Rika battle would make WEP become a Madoka Magica. After the Accas, said we may lost one.
Feb 23, 2021 11:09 AM

Dec 2018
I really enjoyed Rikas development here, and the scenes with Mannen protecting her not only once stopping her from cutting when she looked at him in the first half, but also protecting her later in the battle. It makes sense why Rika is as dismissive as she is and casual about insulting adults considering she's never had an adult actually seem to care for her. I honestly don't think Rikas father is even alive, mainly because her mom is so stand offish when it comes to talking about her father. It may also explain why her mom turned to drinking if she wasn't already doing that before. I do hope she gets closure too.

Its good to see Neiru recognize that she has a bit of a communication problem when it comes to speaking emotionally vs logically, and I hope we get to see more of her background story too. I also want a bit more insight on why Ai decided to go to school. I know they touched on it a tiny bit in this episode but we didnt really get the full picture yet and I'd like to know how it went for her. Overall I really enjoyed this episode and I'm glad we got to see another side of Rika and her home life.
Feb 23, 2021 11:18 AM

May 2019
If Rika dies, Ai suffer. If Ai suffer, we suffer. Please Rika, dont die.
Feb 23, 2021 11:34 AM

Mar 2020
that was amazing, my favorite episode yet.
check out odd taxi
Feb 23, 2021 11:49 AM
Oct 2019
This episode made me like rika even more the whole issue with her parents is something I can relate to, I'm glad she didn't give up on everything.. And Neiru too shined a bit in this episode.. So we know neiru has no parents now, maybe that's why she's running the company since her older sister killed herself..
Wonder when we're gonna an episode centered on her.

begija said:

No I'm pretty sure her hair was dyed because she was still trying to be an idol back then..
Feb 23, 2021 11:57 AM
Feb 2021
Someone named zen posted this in the 9anime comment section. Its very interesting so posting it here so more people can see.

so i found some interesting things about the symbolisms of reptiles when i was doing some light research , and i was actually kinda surprised by how some of the points and beliefs were really lining up with the characters in this show . i thought that the choices for those creatures might have a purpose so i decided to look into it.

1. Turtle and rika :- a turtle is believed to be a symbol of " perserverance , persistence and endurance " no matter how hard its life , it will still live a long life . Very similar to rika's character , who ep decided that she will live , no matter how weak she is or how bad her life she will persevere . You could say that it was "fate"(yes ,that was a gacha reference) that made mannen meet rika .....
a turtle is also a symbol of "protection and safety" . it is used as necklaces and totems as a protection charm in some cultures , which would line it up with CHAD mannen's actions this ep , as he protected rika from danger .

2.Chameleon and ai :- as many of you might have already noticed ,ai seems to be getting a lot of connections to things that have a " multi-color " nature eg: - her weapon is a pen that uses multi colors , her eyes , etc.....
a chameleon changes colors according to circumstances , but it can also change is colors if it meets a female and wants to impress them . this kinda reminded me of a conversation that neiru and ai had , in which neiru called ai easily trusting and accepting( which is one of the symbolisms of chameleon btw, "acceptance") . ai listens to others and their worries , she changes her behaviour and attitude to one that would give comfort and ease to the other person , eg:- how she said she would join rika in slanderin their moms , how she was listening to momoe's worries and story etc..
this isnt ai putting up a fake persona for the sake of the other person , its just ai being her charming and kindself , that makes others love her and open up to her , exactly like a chameleon .

3. Alligator/crocs and momoe :- we dont really know much about momoe other than the fact the she is an absolute angel , is a chick magnet , and had a rough past with one of her friends. But one thing i found out that sounded very interesting is that : "it is very hard to tell the difference between an alligator and crocodile ..." i thought this seemed perfectly lined with the situation momoe always found herself in , where people would mistake her gender . there were many other things about crocs , but i thought might as well learn more about momoe before making stupid claims .....

4. Snake and neiru :- Again , we dont really know much about neiru right now other that she is a straight forward girl who always speaks what she thinks , whether it be painful or not , had a rough past with her sister and almost got killed , could be a child prodigy , so i wasnt really confident in any of the things i found about snake symbolisms . there were some things like , how some snake poisons can either be deadly or a medicine to someone , which you could string together to saying that lines up with neiru's character of "how the words that come out of her mouth can either be a dose of deadly poison or medicinal poison" , but this is just me grasping at straws here to line these 2 up ....
( some of the symbolisms were a bit ...... uhh....." questionable " in the snake's case , so i decided to not look too much into it ....)
Feb 23, 2021 11:57 AM
Jan 2021
If y'all are still sleeping on RIka after this episode idk what you're doing with your life. Triggering content aside, this was an incredible episode, and it makes me extremely curious for the future character-focused episodes in Wonder Egg.
Feb 23, 2021 12:09 PM

Apr 2020
I don’t think Rika is weak, she’s quite strong for dealing with the issues in her personal life. Hope she gets a little happier though at home.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Wonder Egg Priority Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ashhk - Mar 30, 2021

411 by nyaasar »»
Apr 9, 7:57 PM

Poll: » Wonder Egg Priority Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ashhk - Mar 23, 2021

301 by Lawgun »»
Mar 18, 3:55 AM

Poll: » Wonder Egg Priority Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Feb 16, 2021

254 by RobertBobert »»
Mar 18, 3:12 AM

Poll: » Wonder Egg Priority Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Aikotoba - Jan 12, 2021

430 by Lawgun »»
Mar 18, 3:06 AM

Poll: » Wonder Egg Priority Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

removed-user - Mar 9, 2021

169 by LilYellowBean »»
Feb 29, 6:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.