Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 13, 2021 12:30 PM
Jul 2018
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
nice to see the second opening back, glad we’re not done with it, so i guess we’re gonna have it alternate between this one and the other one every week, that’ll be pretty cool. so more people know about mai now, guess this could be a good thing but hope none of them mess up by telling other people or something… mai’s dad seems like a decent guy, mitsugu’s dad is pretty strange too; mitsugu said that he’s an archaeologist but it looks like he also staked a lot of mai’s relatives so maybe he's an exorcist too? this episode was a pretty nice one-story episode, cool to learn more about their families and stuff but i'm happy they're both leaving now since the dads were kinda annoying and the stories with mai and stuff are more interesting.

this anime really does give me monogatari vibes too, both anime have cute blonde-haired vampires. also sleeping mai is so cute
Feb 13, 2021 7:53 PM

Apr 2019
The comedy in this anime is abysmal. Weird episode on both of their dads.. This anime seems to have no direction or plot at all. Every character is forgetful because they're all superficial. Might have to drop this soon.

Feb 14, 2021 5:59 AM

Aug 2020
Pretty weird Dads and Chihiro slap o_O

Feb 15, 2021 9:44 AM

Oct 2017
Sleeping Mai was beautiful.

So Mai and Bamba's dad are enemies/rivals. Their dads were kind of funny.
Feb 15, 2021 9:49 AM
Nov 2019
So its a poor Yuri vampire Romeo & Juliet...

One family Vampires the other Vampire hunters...

This is rapidly turning into Yuri Val-x-love but with even less plot..
Feb 15, 2021 11:14 AM

Jun 2015
In the last two episode comments people seem oblivious to the character names and references. Like the person posting yesterday who said 'Weird episode on both of their dads.. This anime seems to have no direction or plot at all. '..

Ones dad is Dracula, legendary vampire, aka Vlad the Impaler, and the others dad is Van Helsink, legendary vampire slayer. Both characters historical figures in much literature, stories, movie spin offs, fan fiction and fuck knows what else. And this person says, this anime seems to have no direction or plot.

Fuck me, someone shoot me now, this world is a cesspool of idiots who were allowed keyboards.
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Feb 16, 2021 7:10 PM

Nov 2008
Mamoru Oshii is having lots of fun again this episode with referencing and parodying so many classic anime (and cinema) tropes. Even the openings and endings are references to openings and endings of various shows. This "second" opening has tons of references to openings from various Tomino anime series like "Brainpowerd", for example.

Oshii is using the "Nothing Succeeds Like Excess" approach in this anime and it is making this series a lot of fun for me. But then, Oshii and I are contemporaries so I recognize his references.
Feb 17, 2021 6:09 AM

Jan 2009
they gonna do night classes now huh

lol the father of Mai and father of Mitsugu are enemies and her father is Van Helsing the vampire slayer huh

vampires are enemies of humanity so their friendship is destined to fail huh
Feb 17, 2021 3:21 PM

Jul 2011
Was a cool episode.
Not sure why used Gilles de Rais reference, could be a better serial killer. Meanwhile Van Helsing rreference was great.
Feb 20, 2021 8:02 AM

Jul 2017
@Roch2001 I FEEL YOU. People who don't get this series should just STOP, especially NEW anime fans who don't know who Mamoru Oshii is. Damn y'all, just try watching a Mamoru Oshii show before rating this one.

@dbaranyi THANKS a lot for the breakdown!

HEH. 2nd OP's back. And it's IMPOSSIBLE to unlearn Mai's true personality, so using her abilities to adapt new policies is a good thing...while sprinkling more references here and there. NOW the ENTIRE cast is up for night classes for Mai's guardian supervision and secret guarding.

I'm sorry Bamba, internal or external, everyone hears your thoughts LOUD AND CLEAR. That is always funny as a recurring gag.

The daddies are in town. A coffin...or should I say, Mai's Dracula father Gilles de Rais and Bamba's vampire slayer father Van Helsink (though obviously it's a Van Helsing reference). Dr. Chihiro's intereference in this entire situation sure causes a ruckus, other than parental enemies.

I'd feel now that with everything so far, the rift between Mai and Bamba will be left with a gap that's wide open caused by their fathers...but we'll see.
Feb 20, 2021 2:08 PM
May 2015
So Mitsugu and Mai's parents are rivals.

The banter was okay, but I felt this to be predictable territory. Of course, some drama from a vampire and human relationship is expected.

I was thinking Joji Nakata (Alucard, Kotomine) should be the vampire, but instead he's the priest.
Feb 20, 2021 9:24 PM

Nov 2012
People who don't get this series should just STOP, especially NEW anime fans who don't know who Mamoru Oshii is. Damn y'all, just try watching a Mamoru Oshii show before rating this one.
Idk if this is a serious post or one made as a joke? I've seen plenty of Mamoru Oshii's anime and I don't like this one so that logical fails. I've seen plenty of the anime referenced in this and still don't find this show enjoyable. Your comment just comes off as being a gatekeeping prick, no offense if that wasn't your intent might have just misunderstood your post.

The directionless-ness, shitposting like randomness of this show won't appeal to everyone, even the more knowledgeable ones in this medium or popculture references it makes if it ain't their kind of humor. Humor being a very subjective thing.
VanishingKiraFeb 20, 2021 9:27 PM
Feb 27, 2021 10:11 AM

Feb 2012

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Mar 3, 2021 5:06 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Get your geography right Oshii, Helsinki is in Finland, not Denmark!

The fathers are both so incredibly doofy.

"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Mar 9, 2021 12:00 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Both fathers are here, but too bad that her father is a vampire hater and is enemy with Mai's one :/
Apr 4, 2021 3:31 AM

May 2020
That poor gyoza shop.

More topics from this board

» this anime is the underdog of the season

NinoHaruhara - Jan 23, 2021

33 by Kristiwazhere »»
Dec 24, 2023 11:51 AM

Poll: » Vlad Love Episode 9 Discussion

removed-user - Mar 13, 2021

13 by St0rmblade »»
Nov 23, 2023 7:44 AM

Poll: » Vlad Love Episode 6 Discussion

removed-user - Feb 13, 2021

34 by alshu »»
Nov 22, 2023 6:30 AM

Poll: » Vlad Love Episode 7 Discussion

NathanielGibbs - Mar 13, 2021

12 by St0rmblade »»
Nov 22, 2023 4:29 AM

Poll: » Vlad Love Episode 3 Discussion

removed-user - Feb 13, 2021

18 by St0rmblade »»
Nov 21, 2023 7:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.