Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
So I'm a Spider, So What? (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 8, 2021 5:15 AM

Jul 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That time I got Reincarnated as a Slime Spider, OOPS SORRY, WRONG SHOW.

Millepensee's animation is not the best, but at least it gets the job done (at least ENGI is helping out somewhat in the 3DCG, so it's good). Remember that this is a Crunchyroll Original, and a 2-cour at that.

This whole episode is just like when Rimuru was just starting out his life as a slime, and same when a she (Kumoko) reincarnates as a spider, to fight for survival. She also has a Great Sage like Rimuru's, but she's only best as a level-up guide. Nevertheless, this is just the start.

To mix things around, what has humans got to do for now? Newbie prodigies of royalty Shun and Kanata, looks like the MC's whole class got Isekai-ed and reincarnated as well. Welp, the setting is ever the same with societal individualistic properties.

EDIT: A better premiere episode than I initially gave my harsh thoughts for, top this with TenSura Season 2, and the Isekai reincarnation stage never ends. Still a decent start.
KANLen09Jan 8, 2021 7:59 AM
Jan 8, 2021 5:18 AM

Jun 2020
Well, after Tonikawa I thought, "Hey... maybe all Crunchyroll originals aren't bad, it's only manhwas" but I'm starting to think that Tonikawa was a fluke....

I said keep your hands on the table
Jan 8, 2021 5:56 AM

Jun 2019
The only difference is, this time the reincarnation is a Spider instead of a slime. I usually don't like Spiders but that is one adorable spider. Looks like all of her friends or classmates got reincarnated into this Isekai world. A decent first episode. The animation looks okayish. The concept looks way similar to Rimuru. She also has a Great Sage which is another similarity b/w the shows.
Looking forward to this show, how different it will progress from the Rimuru Isekai, or Is it gonna rip-off the entire Slime show.
Pre_YumJan 8, 2021 6:00 AM
Jan 8, 2021 5:59 AM

Apr 2014
Kind of the mixing between Slime and Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou. Her identify system looks like to be the downgrade version of Rimuru's but still useful somehow anyways.
何それ?意味分かんない
Jan 8, 2021 6:13 AM

Jun 2014
Looks really great. They missed some things on Shun's side but I guess that can be filled in later.
Jan 8, 2021 6:22 AM

Nov 2010
Another monologue-heavy show and I don't like the voice acting so much. I hope it's not just a show to collect skills and levels.

By the way, somehow my HDD recorder changed recording program to another isekai story in the middle of the show!?
Jan 8, 2021 6:38 AM

Jul 2019
Decent episode, the episode is pretty fast paced but i guess it does its job. The animation was kinda good on some parts, and some others that are kinda just meh. The direction was also kinda meh, the transition between the mc and the humans was pretty much out of nowhere but i guess they needed time. My biggest problem was actually the opening, just because it had actually really good animation and a pretty great song but it had these giant credits which made almost impossible to see what was going on in the opening.

kuroneko99 said:
Another monologue-heavy show and I don't like the voice acting so much. I hope it's not just a show to collect skills and levels.
To be honest, collecting skills and levels will pretty much be the entire season (or almost). So if thats not your taste i dont really recommend it, although there are still some mystery stuff going on (mainly in the human side) but its very light in the beginning
Jan 8, 2021 7:11 AM

Jun 2014
Bad CG is bad, they could have gone with the more simplistic manga design instead of going ahead with this abomination.
:3
Jan 8, 2021 7:12 AM

Apr 2019
More isekai this season, not surprised. This time reincarnated as a slimespider. Opening is meh, not that good. That CG mother/father spider is HUGE. I really hate the main spider, such an annoying character. Seems that their whole class was reincarnated into that world. Interesting.

Jan 8, 2021 7:12 AM
Oct 2016
The spider is here!! Great premiere introducing us to the spider herself, unnamed as of yet. A super wacky kind of first episode as the spider worked her way through some difficult trials getting food and trying to escape this cave she was born in. Immediately faced with the threat of being cannibalized by her new siblings and mother the spider has to run like hell. This isn't just a reincarnated as a slime clone with the spider having over powered abilities super early, even her appraisal is of basically no use. She gets farther by working hard to gain resistances and abilities than spending skill points on them. I suppose there's a lesson in that about how hard work to overcome adversity is more rewarding than buying your way through a situation. But the spider makes good progress as she uses her webs for the time and battles that poison frog. Nasty meals with eating that frog and beforehand one of her dead siblings.

Cutting away to a banquet with some of the spiders classmates who've also been transported to this other world. One whom is a prince, another has been turned from a boy to a girl, one is a creature like the spider became, and their teacher is now an elf about their same age. So an interesting cast aside from just following the spider herself around. I loved all the quirky moments with the spider she's awesome to have as the lead of this story. Her energy and personality make this a lot of fun. The direction and camera work were great. Enjoyed this start.
Jan 8, 2021 7:13 AM

Jan 2014
Honestly liked it, the visuals don't bother me in the slightest, and the stuff with the spider was pretty funny, kinda went downhill a little when the humans were on screen funny enough, but that was more wanting to see the spider than anything else.
Jan 8, 2021 7:13 AM
Jul 2018
oh god, the concept looks okay and the production quality is alright but this show is kinda hard to watch for me-
Jan 8, 2021 7:14 AM
Oct 2016
kuroneko99 said:

How anyone hate aoi yuki voice acting. That sacrilege
Jan 8, 2021 7:15 AM
Oct 2016
KANLen09 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That time I got Reincarnated as a Slime Spider, OOPS SORRY, WRONG SHOW.

A decent start TBH, BUT WHAT A MESS. Looking forward to TenSura S2 more...

Hows this a mess. Makes no sense to say that, especially after just one episode. Cool it. Of course looking forward to slime more but this is good in its own right.
Jan 8, 2021 7:18 AM

Sep 2019
I really enjoyed this. I liked the comedy and the spider’s personality, Yuuki Aoi’s great performance had a big affect on me enjoying it. The CG was good imo. And yeah, it reminded me of slime isekai.
Jan 8, 2021 7:21 AM

Dec 2012
The comedy felt really forced to me. Hopefully it's toned down a bit. I'm actually looking forward to seeing levelling up and skill acquiring, that's addicting to watch.

The entire time the focus was on the classmates I kept thinking "how exactly did they find out about each other in the first place??" It doesn't seem like something that would come up in a normal conversation especially as they're seemingly keeping it hidden.

Oct 2014
Whenever Kumoko spoke I kept imagining Tanya. My favourite part was when she said “oh Jesus”
Sasuke or Kaneki I can't decide

Nov 2016
Oh Jesus was my first thought as well lol

JK, with such a silly spin on isekai chances were high that it would turn out to be fun and it delivered. Love how cheerful and determined the cute spider is and I don't mind the CGI at all.

And that ending is so hyper haha

FMmatronJan 8, 2021 7:28 AM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 8, 2021 7:28 AM

Jun 2012
People REEEE'ing about CGI.

Why don't you got work in the film and animation industry first?
Jan 8, 2021 7:31 AM
Jan 2018
Glordit said:

I haven't even seen this show and I don't know its quality, but your comment equals "if you can't cook, don't complain if they give you dogshit on the table".
Jan 8, 2021 7:32 AM
Jun 2020
As a light novel reader, I was really hyped for this as it is one of my favorite light novels. However, it was kinda disappointing in some ways. I think its mostly down to how hard of a type of story (up until a certain point) it is to translate to anime and even manga. The cg is not that great all things considered and is reeeallyyy jarring to switch between shun and kumoko.

I can see how people would find kumoko annoying which in some points I did with the comedy feeling forced at times but at others had me bursting out laughing.

I seriously hope this does become a good adaptation and people stick with it because kumo desu ga is an outstanding story with amazing characters.

Edit: I think people should stop comparing to slime isekai because they are very different people just go "oh reincarnated as non human? oh has appraisal? S L I M E R I P O F F" its veerryy different
Jan 8, 2021 7:32 AM
Mar 2019
Y'all should wait a bit before comparing this show to Slime City
Jan 8, 2021 7:34 AM

Jul 2017
Oh Jesus

Actually good looking CGI (not smooth, but refreshing on the eyes) and the lovable comedic MC = no complaints for me. The Tensei Slime datta ken's Rimuru-like approach also get a plus from me. Loved the funny monologues and scenes.
Jan 8, 2021 7:34 AM

Jul 2017
@Dukino

Actually it's quite OK for a start.

I'm just saying in part for the source readers. Will fix the headline soon.
Jan 8, 2021 7:42 AM

Oct 2017
Yuuki Aoi as the spider was really amazing. She did a great job voicing her. I'm fine with the CG and for now this was quite amusing. I really love our spider protag's cheerful nature. She's a fun character and cute too. Also yeah this definitely reminds me of slime. Thou unlike slime where only Rimuru reincarnated into a slime here some other characters also reincarnated. Some of em ended up with dfferent genders XD or monsters too. This part was really interesting.

Anyway I hope she has a human form someday or I hope I can get used to a spider protag but I do want her to have a human form. L̶N̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶d̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶s̶p̶o̶i̶l̶ ̶m̶e̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶s̶h̶e̶ ̶h̶a̶s̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶u̶r̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶t̶o̶ ̶a̶ ̶h̶u̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶L̶N̶ ̶y̶e̶t̶.̶ Got my answer.
MegamiRemJan 12, 2021 12:45 AM
Jan 8, 2021 7:43 AM
Jun 2020
Okay can someone spoil me?
Will the MC get a human appearance like Rimuru did later on??
Jan 8, 2021 7:43 AM
Apr 2013
TodAboT said:
Glordit said:

I haven't even seen this show and I don't know its quality, but your comment equals "if you can't cook, don't complain if they give you dogshit on the table".

The issue really comes down to people complaining about ALL CGI even if it's not bad CGI. It really makes complaining about CGI a moot point when you see people blanket complain even when it's not bad and sometimes even amazing. It's like people saying the steak in front of them is shit, to use a variation of your metaphor.
Jan 8, 2021 7:44 AM

Jun 2014
The only thing that is similar to slime is that she starts out as a monster and she gets a robotic voice in her head. Unlike slime she has to actually run for her life from the moment she is born and about the voice...
Jan 8, 2021 7:47 AM

Aug 2013
Oh, wow. I really enjoyed this a lot and had some great laughs with it. Glad this was the first anime I watched today.

Being reincarnated as a spider is strange but her spider form is just too cute. I'm looking forward to her adventure. XD

Jan 8, 2021 7:48 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Most are complaining about the CGI.

Meanwhile i have more of a problem with the MC spider, i'm already annoyed, a little more chill would make this more watchable for me?
Jan 8, 2021 7:49 AM
Sep 2015
Many people already mention the similarity between this and Tensei Slime, which I agree in game system part. Our protagonist, however, reminds me of Honzuki no Gekokujou (Ascendance of a Bookworm).

Looking forward to this, as it seems there are many hot guys in this show.
Jan 8, 2021 7:49 AM
Apr 2020
Just want to say as an huge fan of light novels so glad there now an anime adaption as they are great.

I think was decent first episode, animation, cgi is okay nothing special but decent no worst than a lot of other anime I have seen recently.

MC and story seem to be keeping pretty much in line with source martial.

Think this can only get better in coming episodes, so would advise anyone watching this for first time and not read the light novels to give it more time before judging.

If you find the MC annoying now though chuck in the towel as it won’t get better.

Ava25zFateJan 8, 2021 10:42 AM
Jan 8, 2021 7:53 AM

Nov 2016
Glordit said:

The funny thing is that many of these people probably wouldn't even care if it was all 2D. But hey, petty complaints are the bread and butter around here.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 8, 2021 7:53 AM

Apr 2014
the CGI looks awful but 1st episode was fine i guess
Jan 8, 2021 7:54 AM
Aug 2017
Overal, my worst fears were unfounded, it has some rough spots like the over abundant CG and the camera moving a bit too often/much in scenes were it wasn't really necessary and the pacing could be a bit slower and a couple of minor things like Kumoko wondering whether her parents will miss her (to which she says probably not) while starving were cut, the fact Shun's part was quite a bit further in than it was in the LN is probably more akin to Ferdinand appearing in episode 1 of the Ascendance of a Bookworm adapation last year as just a thing to introduce some of the other cast people may be looking forward to.
Overall the adaptation isn't bad, it's not stellar by any means but it's very passable, which considering the strength of the source material, is good enough.
Jan 8, 2021 7:57 AM
Jan 2021
There's a lot to like, but at the same time I'm not exactly sold on this one yet. Gonna watch a few more episodes to see if I vibe with this.
Jan 8, 2021 8:06 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Entertaining first episode, this! Production quality isn't anything to write home about but Yuuki Aoi-san's performance, as expected, is quality.

I find the concept of reincarnation being a common aspect in the world quite interesting to be honest and I'm definitely curious for more.

Very similar to TenSura's premiere so I can see why there's a fair amount of comparisons above. 2-cours is a pleasing treat too. And the ED, god that's glorious! Up there with Youjo Senki's ED, that's a high calibre mind you.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jan 8, 2021 8:12 AM
Jan 2018
NoGround said:
TodAboT said:

The issue really comes down to people complaining about ALL CGI even if it's not bad CGI. It really makes complaining about CGI a moot point when you see people blanket complain even when it's not bad and sometimes even amazing. It's like people saying the steak in front of them is shit, to use a variation of your metaphor.

Regardless, saying that you need to do something in order to criticize something is a ridiculous statement.
Jan 8, 2021 8:14 AM
Nov 2020
The biggest problem I see so far is that the background looks like someone copy pasted a picture which makes our main characters look weird but other than animation can't say much more
Jan 8, 2021 8:15 AM

Apr 2020
Alright folks while we wait for Rimuru's S2 in a couple of days, we get Kumoko as she is Isekai'd as a spider. I have a lot of things to say about this debut, but all in all I say it is pretty chaotic and not in a good way. We got a fast transition from real world to isekai as the classroom just got blew up completely. And we get to a spider waking up from her shell, starting Kumoko's life in this another world.

This episode we bring you [/b]A SPIDER THAT IS CHAOTIC AND NOISY AS FUCK[/b]. Like jeez I don't want to hate this anime from the start, but pretty much most of the runtime was painful for me to watch. 3D animes are prevalent this season with Beastars 2 and D4DJ, but Spider's CG animation was not that strong. We get Spider Isekai's version of Great Sage, I imagine that it is the same voice actress who also did the Great Sage for Slime Isekai. Also the level powerup is also not that strong for me, and I feel like it just automatically levels up once Kumoko do Spider stuff.

But I will admit the scene between Kumoko and the Frog is good, she is not wasting those potential frog meat. And at first I don't want to bring this up but...at about 13:05 mark we hear a VERY RARE WORD in an anime...hear for yourself dummies I ain't referencing it directly. Ok to continue, we see some nobles and rich folks having a party to celebrate enrollees. Apparently, some of Kumoko's classmates also got reincarnated and luckily as humans, while some ended up being monsters and non-human creatures. Looks like they'll meet Kumoko soon.

Lastly, what the hell is up with the ED song. They're trying to make it as crazy as freaking possible that it almost turned to be unlistenable. I am quite lukewarm with this first episode not gonna lie. I'll see if I go patient with this and actually watch it weekly but for now this is not a great first episode.

Jan 8, 2021 8:16 AM
Apr 2017
Gotta love that ED song though, I can't imagine how crazy Aoi Yuuki when she record that song
Aug 2017
Yuuk Aoi is killing it as the spider, love her voice so much made the show 10x more enjoyable despite questionable cg at times.

Mar 2019
I think it's pretty good so far, I like the CGI. The OP is also great.

Jan 8, 2021 8:17 AM

May 2017
I genuinely enjoyed it and had no probs with the CGI. The comedy and characters seem intriguing and I'm curious about the other student's scenarios. And that ending theme is wild lol
Jan 8, 2021 8:17 AM
Aug 2017
Yuuki Aoi nailed the roll as the spider. Made the show entertaining as hell
Jan 8, 2021 8:18 AM
Jan 2018
Maybe the heavy monologue would be tolerable if the main character didn't say the most obvious things possible.

"What? 'No-Name'? . I guess this means this spider that was just born has no name."

"Woah, there are a lot of weird creatures. I guess this is Another World (even though that was something I already knew with the leveling up system)."

The animation wasn't bad, but the use of a 3D camera is extremely obnoxious. The camera is spinning for no reason, like if CGI was still a novelty.

Drop.
Jan 8, 2021 8:32 AM
Jul 2018
Kumoko's so cute and funny! I hope we don't eventually get whole episodes of nothing but the side characters though...(yes, Shun and the others are side characters to me) since it's still only the first episode, there's probably no point worrying about the pacing yet.
Jan 8, 2021 8:37 AM

Mar 2016
As someone who enjoyed Arifureta (for the wrong reasons), the last part of the episode it's what could hook me up to this anime. Not a good role for Aoi Yuuki imh.
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Jan 8, 2021 8:42 AM

Nov 2011
The CGI is going to take me some time to get used to, but still watchable.

On the other hand, Kumoko's personality was really fun to watch imo. Even as a spider, she shows a lot of human personality and have to adapt with her new lifestyle. Other characters like Ooshima also adds some ligiht entertainment but I think they will be overshadowed by Kumoko, still might be worth to keep an eye on.

It's hard to judge this show yet on the first episode altgoether but it has me entertained.
Jan 8, 2021 8:46 AM

Jul 2017
The animation isn't great (and the same for the cinematography which feels jarring and too shaky at times), but the spider is still fun and charismatic enough for sure to make it bearable to watch overall. Plus, I like how this reincarnation story is conceptualized compared to most other reincarnation anime where everyone just is overpowered, bland, boring with a harem of girls or boys just waiting for them, etc. Here the MC's turned into a spider and its all about surviving in a pretty unnerving setting which at least has some element of being refreshing for the kind of show it is. Not great of a premiere, especially the few minutes where the focus was away from the spider, but not a bad one either. Definitely fair to say that Kumoko carried this.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 7, 2021

138 by LunaInkChan »»
Apr 26, 11:17 PM

Poll: » Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 3, 2021

366 by Rimuru_11407 »»
Apr 21, 6:07 AM

» So there's no romance in there?

rishamr - Mar 25

12 by SwordBreaker36 »»
Apr 19, 5:07 AM

» As a LN reader, it hurts that this probably won't get another season

NXT_2006 - Feb 15, 2023

14 by DonKhixote »»
Apr 5, 4:02 PM

Poll: » Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 19, 2021

162 by Ratris_Decision »»
Mar 7, 4:07 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.