Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
So I'm a Spider, So What? (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 7, 2021 5:58 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Damn, just when you thought this show couldn't have more deadly characters, we are introduced to someone going by the name 'Nightmare'.

I gotta say, the humans really had to watch out for themselves in that labyrinth. It's like they are on a mission to survive with those circumstances.
May 7, 2021 6:59 AM

Feb 2019
It’s always hilarious to me how you have the contrast of the dire situation that schlain and co are in juxtaposed with Kumoko’s comedic situations. The floating head in this episode was hilarious lmao. Slowly but surely, the kumoko(past) and Schlain(present) storylines are starting to align. The vestiges clueing Schlain in on the fact she’s a reincarnation as well was cool. Then the dreams about Spooky, hopefully he’ll put it all together soon.

I’m glad that this episode was mainly human focused. I think that’s when this series shines the brightest tbh.
May 7, 2021 7:02 AM

Feb 2021
Next episode is going to be a banger again! Kumoko can damage even the demon lord with her other minds. Let's see what the Demon lord is going to do against her next episode.
May 7, 2021 7:11 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
That was great, now the anime almost confirmed who is Kumoko in the present timeline and the nature of the maou sama girl, it's getting more and more interesting, well most of the episode was focused on the human but it was still really tense especially for what happened to Schlain, at least they escaped from the labyrinth.
May 7, 2021 7:13 AM

Jan 2014
Fei fucking decked that dragon lol. One puunnnccchh. All those eyes were terrifying honestly.
May 7, 2021 7:17 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
So Ariel's offspring are the spiders huh curious. When in confines spaces one's sense of time can be quite difficult to judge. It pays to have someone that's able to keep track of this and plan accordingly. The monsters are after all only one aspect of the danger that adventurers face. The nightmare though is an interesting monster. The battle with the earth dragon though really showed just how much Schlain had grown since his brothers passing. The nightmare's entry though sure was chilling. Having a dragon of their own really is a great shortcut. Kumoko chilling with just a head though was pretty amusing. Overall a pretty interesting ep that while doing well in showcasing how much Schlain had grown physically and mentally also did well to set the scene for the demon invasion. Ariel though is getting more and more interesting every time she appears. Curious whether Kumoko's hypothesis of her being mothers boss correct though.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 7, 2021 7:18 AM

Jun 2019
I love how Kumoko was talking to herself in the ocean with her head floating like that. LMAO

On the other hand, the humans have started to walk through the labyrinth, and Schlain having those weird nightmares was pretty odd. The timelines are finally making sense now. But, it's a pretty dangerous place for them. They gotta be careful around there. The next episode is gonna be interesting.
May 7, 2021 7:20 AM
Nov 2020
Now we know that the mother and the demon person are the same, and Kumo is a second-gen monster. Does that actually mean that this is a very new timeline and this will be facing its first great war???

That aside, When the announcing lady got tired of announcing the level declaration in shun's dream, it reminded me how boring her work should be, just announcing level upgrade after level upgrade. And, Why did she had bird-like features ???

But, fortunately, they didn't shit the animation this episode, and the animation was fine for the most part.

But, The cherry on top was the "Immortal, so what" joke. I wasn't expecting that joke at that point.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 7, 2021 7:59 AM
Jul 2012
It baffles me how after so many episodes, there are still people that havent gotten what is actually going on.

As of now the anime has confirmed that:
1)The demon lord is Mother's "mother".
2)Kumoko is still alive in the future, possibly under the Demon Lord's command(high chance of her being the White lady that 1shot the previous Hero).
3)Kumoko can actually get killed even wtih immortality by the Demon Lord so it means they are on good terms in the future.
4)Nightmare is Kumoko and the Vestiges are her offspring.
5)The demon lord knows something about the world and is planning to "save" it by destroying it... otherwise the other Reincarnations wouldnt be helping her.
May 7, 2021 8:04 AM

Jun 2016
Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
Damn, just when you thought this show couldn't have more deadly characters, we are introduced to someone going by the name 'Nightmare'.

I gotta say, the humans really had to watch out for themselves in that labyrinth. It's like they are on a mission to survive with those circumstances.

You've watched 17 episodes and still haven't caught on to the fact the "nightmare" they are referring to is Kumoko??????????????????

May 7, 2021 8:06 AM

Oct 2017
The mystery intensifies, Shun's dreams and the voices of those nightmare were creepy af. Also lol Kumoko got in the bad side of the demon lord, RIP.
May 7, 2021 8:08 AM

Jan 2015
Damn. The nightmare’s vestiges scene was as chilling as in the LN, good job on the voices.

Really loved this episode, it felt like a proper adventure. And more mystery of course
May 7, 2021 8:08 AM

Feb 2014
Stark700 said:

Kumoko IS the Nightmare of the Labyrinth, remember how their timelines are different? Kumoko is 15 years in the past, Shun is in the "present", that old guide mentioned some of the feats Kumoko did like healing people in need and not attacking people unless they attack her first.
May 7, 2021 8:10 AM

Feb 2014
My favourite part was when the Body parallel mind invaded the mind of the Demon Lord, it seemed like she looked at the Demon Lord and before she could react she could have said "too slow punk"
May 7, 2021 8:14 AM
Mar 2020
Kumoko basically only had a glorified cameo in this episode, but that could change next week with a hinted final battle with the big bad spider of origin.
The human segment wasn't bad, somebody actually punched Schlain for me. He had that coming for a long time.
May 7, 2021 8:15 AM
Oct 2016
After the crash cliffhanger ending to last week with Kumoko being sliced it bits we have an episode here dedicated mostly to Shun and crew. Way to keep us hanging, definitely didn't think we would get so little Kumoko this episode. But there is some connection to her in the Shun storyline with them venturing through the labyrinth. Seeing the vestiges that Kumoko left behind after she got out, she might even come back and do that later what where we see her in her own timeline. They did a good job having the labyrinth guide basically telling the kids that the labyrinth nightmare is not to be messed with. I suppose that Kumoko becomes even more crazy powerful later in the years leading up to Shun timeline. Which will be awesome to see. Now with Shun, Oka, Katia, and Fei and the rest all out of the labyrinth hopefully they can get to the elf village before the demon Lord and her forces march there. Speaking of she's caught on to Kumoko still being alive in the past timeline, now Kumoko has her full attention.
May 7, 2021 8:20 AM

Aug 2020
I think Kumo's only option is to fight if she comes face to face with that Demon Lord.
May 7, 2021 8:35 AM
Apr 2020
Wait, did the human segment actually have decent animation this time? We have been blessed!
May 7, 2021 8:44 AM

Jul 2017
If anything, DO NOT MISS both the pre and post-credit's intents: The Demon Lord definitely is the Mother (Origin) of the spiders, even higher than Mother a.k.a Queen Taratect that Kumoko was referring to. But from the looks of it, Kumoko is IN FACT the main body of Mother, coupled with the "immortality" act, this'll only ensue that the mystery lurks deeper for those not in the know.

Of course, Shun and Co. in the Great Elroe Labyrinth whereras Kumoko's head is just floating in the sea, what a disparity. The myth of the Nightmare (which obviously was Kumoko of the future) may be hard to believe that it exists, but nonetheless it still remains as a viable threat from the humans' perspective (at least for Basgath who've seen it all with the Vestiges).

Unsurprisingly, the monsters that Kumoko left behind, Shun and Co. are left to fend with the lefftovers of Kumoko's attacks from monsters (e.g. the earth dragon). The Nightmare's Vestiges...dare I say give the Administrator D feel with those hallucinating voices. Add in Shun's nightmares about Spooky a.k.a Kumoko, and I'm looking forward to the day when both of their timelines converge.

Kumoko this episode literally is just scarred with her head intact, that's kinda funny with Aoi Yuuki's monologue. The snitch with getting on the Demon Lord's bad side, RIP Kumoko, you'd better find ways to survive.
May 7, 2021 8:49 AM

Feb 2020
The floating head was so hilarious. xD Poor Kumoko.
May 7, 2021 8:59 AM
Mar 2014
I don't get why there was a frame with a spider in the classroom *giggles*
May 7, 2021 9:03 AM

Nov 2016
So Kumoko successfully managed to take over the Demon Lord's body? I mean her personality in the present seems similar to hers and what's more, the lady in white, whom I thought was Kumoko seems like an empty shell.

Or the Demon Lord kept control which seems more likely. The line at the beginning of the episode "Though I can remember one who wasn't quite so obedient" suggests that Kumoko eventually gave in. Well, I guess we will get definite answers sooner or later. I also want to learn more about D.

Such an enjoyable episode again. Immortal Kumoko floating in the ocean, tho xD

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 2018
KANLen09 said:
If anything,Kumoko is IN FACT the main body of Mother, coupled with the "immortality"

Add in Shun's nightmares about Spooky a.k.a Kumoko, and I'm looking forward to the day when both of their timelines converge.

1 - No, she's killing mother.

2 - That's...also very wrong. Besides the very stupid translation of Rihoko to "Spooky", She's Shouko Negishi, aka Sophia Keren. The vampire girl.

Jul 2009
Good stuff.

expired_0 said:
I think Kumo's only option is to fight if she comes face to face with that Demon Lord.
Didn't you just hear the old man? Run away and live to fight another day.
(Spoiler - not so obvious - content that was skipped)
May 7, 2021 9:17 AM

Jul 2017
poisonedbite said:
KANLen09 said:
If anything,Kumoko is IN FACT the main body of Mother, coupled with the "immortality"

Add in Shun's nightmares about Spooky a.k.a Kumoko, and I'm looking forward to the day when both of their timelines converge.

2 - That's...also very wrong. Besides the very stupid translation of Rihoko to "Spooky", She's Shouko Negishi, aka Sophia Keren. The vampire girl.
Ah OK, thanks for the clarification.

Looks like everyone's getting confused by the way that the anime is merging timeines, only source readers will know what's what.
May 7, 2021 9:29 AM
Oct 2018
KANLen09 said:
poisonedbite said:

Looks like everyone's getting confused by the way that the anime is merging timeines, only source readers will know what's what.

The LN pretty much did the same, and pretty much everything made so much sense when the timeline merged. Most were a bit frustrated about the story-telling format of Kumo at the start since it's Kumo and Human side. Most doesn't really care for the human side at the beginning. But as the story goes, the human side makes sense. And plot Anime-onlys seems to be slowly understanding that it as far as I observed here in the forums. So it's really just a matter of time before everything falls into place.
May 7, 2021 9:37 AM
Mar 2014
KANLen09 said:

Timelines should be the most minor of concerns, it becomes apparent very early on that Kumoko and Human Side are ~15 years apart. What many simply did not expect is that someone is actually good at deception, presenting red herrings and chekhov's guns alike. Don't expect those to be the last of 'em.
May 7, 2021 9:41 AM
Sep 2016
Noooo.... another badly outsourced EP (I hope it was outsourced, otherwise the studio has done goof...).
The time when Shun's party met the Vestiges is supposed to be really terrifying (they have skills that may induce fear on their opponents), so much that nobody can actually move. But at least the scene where each vestiges speaks one after another is actually pretty spot on, especially with all the distorted voices.

anstar019 said:
Now we know that the mother and the demon person are the same, and Kumo is a second-gen monster. Does that actually mean that this is a very new timeline and this will be facing its first great war???

"Mother" is Ariel's (the DL) offspring, and Shiraori/Kumoko is "Mother"'s offspring, which will make Ariel the proud nana of our beloved spider.

anstar019 said:

That aside, When the announcing lady got tired of announcing the level declaration in shun's dream, it reminded me how boring her work should be, just announcing level upgrade after level upgrade. And, Why did she had bird-like features ???

Because she's a harpy....
uncleqrowMay 7, 2021 9:56 AM
Python is the best programming language ever. FIGHT ME!
May 7, 2021 9:50 AM
Aug 2020
I'm kind of looking forward to everyone's reunion and for it to be awkward as hell
May 7, 2021 9:53 AM

Apr 2020
Any light novel reader please clear my confusion from this episode that
1. is Ariel is mother of Kumoko???
Or Ariel is a Mother of mother of Kumoko i.e Grandmother of kumoko??
2. If nightmare here is Kumoko then who is Queen taratect??? Is she is Ariel or Mother of Kumoko

3. If Ariel is mother of mother of Kumoko then why in the end they showed that parallel Wills of Kumoko are attacking Ariel because parallel Will's of Kumoko was attacking kumoko's mother!!!

Sorry for bad English 😅
May 7, 2021 9:54 AM

Jul 2017
gaulby said:
KANLen09 said:

The LN pretty much did the same, and pretty much everything made so much sense when the timeline merged. Most were a bit frustrated about the story-telling format of Kumo at the start since it's Kumo and Human side. Most doesn't really care for the human side at the beginning. But as the story goes, the human side makes sense. And plot Anime-onlys seems to be slowly understanding that it as far as I observed here in the forums. So it's really just a matter of time before everything falls into place.
This is understandable, and I wholly agree with what you said. Would rather just wait until everything converges together to see the entire picture.

SolidusDiabolos said:
KANLen09 said:

Timelines should be the most minor of concerns, it becomes apparent very early on that Kumoko and Human Side are ~15 years apart. What many simply did not expect is that someone is actually good at deception, presenting red herrings and chekhov's guns alike. Don't expect those to be the last of 'em.
So you're saying that there's more deception to come?
May 7, 2021 10:03 AM
Sep 2016
sujal06 said:
2. If nightmare here is Kumoko then who is Queen taratect??? Is she is Ariel or Mother of Kumoko

3. If Ariel is mother of mother of Kumoko then why in the end they showed that parallel Wills of Kumoko are attacking Ariel because parallel Will's of Kumoko was attacking kumoko's mother!!!

Sorry for bad English 😅

1. Ariel is the proud granny of Shiraori/Kumoko. The "Mother" is a member of the Queen Taratect species, and she is Shiraori/Kumoko's mom, as well as one of Ariel's offspring.
2. The Queen Taratects are just a species of spider monsters, there's nothing more to them aside from being really-really strong. Ariel on the other hand is The Origin Taratect, the ancestor of all taratect species.
3. As Shiraori/Kumoko's soul is connected to her "Mother", so does the "Mother"'s soul is connected to her own mom's, A.K.A. Ariel/DL's. The parallel mind, that is already invading the "Mother"'s mind, makes use of this connection to continue invading through the network until they reached Ariel's soul.
uncleqrowMay 7, 2021 10:07 AM
Python is the best programming language ever. FIGHT ME!
May 7, 2021 10:06 AM

Jan 2018
sujal06 said:

Sorry for bad English 😅

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
anime-primeMay 11, 2021 2:27 PM
May 7, 2021 10:14 AM

Apr 2020
@uncleqrow and @giovgiac
Thanks both of you for clearing my doubts
May 7, 2021 10:21 AM
Mar 2014
sujal06 said:

If you want to kill your annoying mother, then you might as well kill your annoying grandmother.

If you meant 'how' she is doing it: It's the skill called 'Kin Domination' which connects their souls and is basically twisted backwards. It basically belongs to 'Heresy (Soul) Magic' hence why it is also nullified and an adept (master) 'mage' wit split personality can utilize it.

Ariel only has [Heresy Super Resistance Lvl 7] (pause last episode, it can be seen protruding on the right, 2nd half) which makes her not immune to losing her very self&soul. Incidentally her spatial magic is only at lvl 2.
May 7, 2021 10:23 AM

Oct 2020
Nice episode and all but quick question.

What/Who the hell are the "Nightmare Vestiges"? Are they Kumeko's offspring? If it were, did it mean Kumeko mated? What is going on here. Thanks in advance.

Stark700 said:

It was pretty obviously stated that Kumeko is the "Nightmare of the Labyrinth"

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
anime-primeMay 11, 2021 2:28 PM

✧ THE NIGHT SHONE UPON TWO, ME & YOU ✧ FORUM SET BY:SAINTZEPH

May 7, 2021 10:28 AM

Apr 2018
The floating head was really funny lmao. Schlain's convo with the other spiders was crazy.. The repeating words sounded scary as hell.
Great episode!

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
May 7, 2021 10:33 AM

Feb 2020
KANLen09 said:

Nah, your theories are fine. IMO whoever just points the pieces you and other new fans have missed are killjoys!
The confusion is intended and also present on the LN, although some pieces of the puzzle have been presented in a different way here, I don't think they removed anything major from the main mystery.

It still happens even on recent volumes. You're reading something inconspicuous when suddenly "wait, what?", and you have to check something a couple volumes back just to realize something you'd already ruled as an overlooked loose end or an unimportant red herring is actually fundamental puzzle piece that not only fits perfectly, but also changes your perspective on the big picture.

It's true that Spooky's identity have been presented on the anime already, but mainly because some info have been shuffled around. On the LN Sofia's identity is revealed only later, thus, one could draw this same mistaken conclusion that Rihoko (spooky) is the MC from reading the LN version of that dream. In fact, I'm pretty sure they didn't change anything on the scene banking on spectators
that just like yourself, have missed the reveal (Also because there's more to that scene than one might've easily missed at first :p)
May 7, 2021 10:33 AM
Nov 2020
SaintZeph said:

What/Who the hell are the "Nightmare Vestiges"? Are they Kumeko's offspring? If it were, did it mean Kumeko mated? What is going on here. Thanks in advance.

vestiges mean parts

SO Nightmare vestiges mean nightmare parts or nightmare offsprings, so they are Kumo's children. Their mother(KUMO) was reincarnation and she most probably taught them how to differentiate reincar people.
May 7, 2021 10:36 AM

Oct 2020
anstar019 said:
SaintZeph said:

vestiges mean parts

SO Nightmare vestiges mean nightmare parts or nightmare offsprings, so they are Kumo's children. Their mother(KUMO) was reincarnation and she most probably taught them how to differentiate reincar people.

Yeah, but how are they born?

✧ THE NIGHT SHONE UPON TWO, ME & YOU ✧ FORUM SET BY:SAINTZEPH

May 7, 2021 10:38 AM

Dec 2013
The bit with the Vestiges was super creepy for me, I liked it a lot and that ending was pretty hype, even Ariel has to be careful about Kumoko's mental abilities.
May 7, 2021 10:42 AM
May 2016
damn thoose voices what great...i feels like she will just kill everyone in those 3 battalions crossing the spider land...lol...that demon lord better use on of heirs many eyes in here back :)

best anime seens many years...

May 7, 2021 10:49 AM
Aug 2013
If you're an anime-only, you can probably piece together 80-90% of the story/world by this episode if you paid close attention to all the details since episode 1.

It actually kinda bothers me a bit that Shun's dreams are being treated by viewers like it's filler.
May 7, 2021 11:01 AM

Mar 2018
That earth dragon looked surprisingly good tbh. Did they draw by hand on a CG model or just reworked their regular CGI?
May 7, 2021 11:02 AM
Apr 2018
SaintZeph said:
anstar019 said:

vestiges mean parts

Yeah, but how are they born?

Depending on pacing you'll find out in 1 or 2 episodes time.
May 7, 2021 11:03 AM

Oct 2017
WTF was this sh!t?!?
After being so hyped for the biggest fight yet, instead we got... this???
May 7, 2021 11:05 AM
Apr 2018
SouKaiyou said:
If you're an anime-only, you can probably piece together 80-90% of the story/world by this episode if you paid close attention to all the details since episode 1.

It actually kinda bothers me a bit that Shun's dreams are being treated by viewers like it's filler.

Those people who've been skipping the human segments from previous episode are now all totally lost.
May 7, 2021 11:13 AM

Aug 2020
So what did we learn? Schlain is just an useless dumb idiot who is all talk. At the start of the episode he was like "I dont think I can run while others are endangering their lives". But at the end of the episode he would have been the reason every one would have got massacred .

I dont know whats with the dragons human form. It looks fine at first glance but when you take a close look it is so freaking funny.

Wonder what will happen to the Maou!! Kumoko having a beach vacation while those boring humans finally managed to escape the labyrinth.
Anime List: Click here
Manga List: Click here

May 7, 2021 11:27 AM

Jul 2017
Rarkis said:
KANLen09 said:

Nah, your theories are fine. IMO whoever just points the pieces you and other new fans have missed are killjoys!
The confusion is intended and also present on the LN, although some pieces of the puzzle have been presented in a different way here, I don't think they removed anything major from the main mystery.

It still happens even on recent volumes. You're reading something inconspicuous when suddenly "wait, what?", and you have to check something a couple volumes back just to realize something you'd already ruled as an overlooked loose end or an unimportant red herring is actually fundamental puzzle piece that not only fits perfectly, but also changes your perspective on the big picture.

It's true that Spooky's identity have been presented on the anime already, but mainly because some info have been shuffled around. On the LN Sofia's identity is revealed only later, thus, one could draw this same mistaken conclusion that Rihoko (spooky) is the MC from reading the LN version of that dream. In fact, I'm pretty sure they didn't change anything on the scene banking on spectators
that just like yourself, have missed the reveal (Also because there's more to that scene than one might've easily missed at first :p)
The most fun read comment I've received to clear all this whoopla, thanks friend for the information.

Hit me up, because I feel like I'm missing vital information!
May 7, 2021 11:49 AM
Oct 2010
Ah, the excellent brats finally make an appearance! Too bad we're unlikely to see much more of them before the show's done. Such good lil murderspooders.

I'd say something about Schlain ignoring his dreams, but I really don't want to talk about a hopeless cause.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» So there's no romance in there?

rishamr - Mar 25

12 by SwordBreaker36 »»
Today, 5:07 AM

Poll: » Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 3, 2021

365 by perfumegenius »»
Apr 15, 10:50 AM

» As a LN reader, it hurts that this probably won't get another season

NXT_2006 - Feb 15, 2023

14 by DonKhixote »»
Apr 5, 4:02 PM

Poll: » Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 19, 2021

162 by Ratris_Decision »»
Mar 7, 4:07 AM

Poll: » Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Jan 8, 2021

331 by Ratris_Decision »»
Mar 5, 2:46 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.