Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 7, 2021 7:47 AM

Apr 2008
Nayout said:

Bio said:

Can't believe this is the first mention of that creature. Even if we somehow ignore how bland the show is, the only thing it has going for it is a bloody war. How can anyone take that seriously with the mascot character floating around?

The pets work just like all other gachas game pets, Vyrn in Granblue also has the same role and is something that was used quite a few gachasfor 2014/15.

Exactly. Vyrn being annoying on top of an already generic plot was also why I dropped Granblue.
Jan 7, 2021 7:58 AM

Sep 2015
Bio said:
Nayout said:

The pets work just like all other gachas game pets, Vyrn in Granblue also has the same role and is something that was used quite a few gachasfor 2014/15.

Exactly. Vyrn being annoying on top of an already generic plot was also why I dropped Granblue.

The normal thing in this type of stories
It's a matter of comparing FFXIV ARR vs Shadowbringers
https://novacrystallis.com/2020/08/one-year-later-the-story-of-final-fantasy-xiv-shadowbringers/
https://www.fanbyte.com/reviews/with-ffxiv-patch-5-3-shadowbringers-might-be-the-best-final-fantasy-story/
https://twinfinite.net/2019/07/final-fantasy-xiv-shadowbringers-best-story/

PrincessJAM said:
WinterGR4 said:
I know nothing about the game this is from...

So if I am understanding the plot so far, Duke Werewolf attacked the capital and killed the King, but was defeated in his attempt to take over the capital and the kingdom. So now there is war between the Kingdom and Duke Werewolf's forces. The Princess was taken away from the capital to save her from Duke Werewolf and the fighting.
So apparently the fighting in the capital is done and it should be safe for her to return. Her younger brother has become the new King. So why is she still in hiding and why is she not the Queen?

I agree, it is bland. I will see how it progresses, but I don't have high hopes.
i completely agree with the hiding thing it makes no sense especially because she's gone on to be a solider and thats seems like that would be even more unsafe then being queen

Do people really want spoilers?
Jan 7, 2021 8:16 AM
Dec 2018
Yes, but put it in a spoiler so if someone doesn't want to know they don't have to look.
Jan 7, 2021 8:43 AM

Nov 2014
Nayout said:

That video belongs to the opening of the second arc of the game, the first arc never had an official opening other than some animation sequences of the PV

unfortunately I've seen all the trailers before the anime was even announced, but I still look forward for what is to come.
Jan 7, 2021 9:00 AM

Jan 2020
PrincessJAM said:
i dont get why the princess went into hiding, her kingdom was still her own and to me it made no sense why she disappeared on everyone and had her younger brother rule. it would be understandable if the kingdom was taken over but it wasn't.

This. I'm kinda question this. Probably will be answered for the future ep

Also the maid and the mascot voice kinda annoy me. I hope they dont get a lot screentime
Jan 7, 2021 9:14 AM
Apr 2011
Anime like this convince me animation and movie studios are completely inept at finding even the least capable writer. I mean, there are legions of amateur writers who can do better than this.

At least have some damn internal consistency in your story. If you can't even make a decent first 5 minutes, how can anyone expect this story to not fall apart a few episodes in.
Jan 7, 2021 9:23 AM

Oct 2008
Not really sure about this one but the OP by MY FIRST STORY was a banger!
3/5.

Jan 7, 2021 9:54 AM

Aug 2020
It was okay for a first episode, waiting for more to give a better opinion about it.
Marius is a woman, if you watched at least one anime you know than "he" is the princess
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 7, 2021 10:36 AM

Dec 2015
Looking okay. Generic and a game adaption. But I like fantasy and politics. And with those 2 factions at war it might get interesting. The main is not too young/annoying. And the uncle is nice. (Nice voice actor.) Only the maid is a bit annoying.

Feels better than King's Raid. (Only the scenes at the capital far away from the main group were better there.)

Funny thing: First I thought the other guy was Fernando (and that they used the name Maurice for the female ... I mean it is an anime and the Japanese make weird naming sometimes). I usually need a bit time to get used to faces and names.

Then later Alfred mistook (but that was from far away looking through the window) Maurice for his father.
Jan 7, 2021 10:44 AM

Sep 2015
WinterGR4 said:
Yes, but put it in a spoiler so if someone doesn't want to know they don't have to look.

All this is the same when Caligula was on the air and people did not stop wondering why some things happened so that later they would have answers 3 episodes later.
Jan 7, 2021 11:56 AM
Mar 2018
This shit is generic as shit...
Jan 7, 2021 12:09 PM

Jan 2014
The animation is really good, especially some of the castle interior. Music is solid, as well.

Seems a bit on the generic side but I can't say I didn't enjoy this. Will have to see more for a better impression.
Jan 7, 2021 2:31 PM

Jun 2016
I didn't understand why the Princess was hidden away by Maurice considering that apparently the invasion was repelled and her younger brother ascended to the throne... anyway seems a good fantasy series, I liked this first episode.
Jan 7, 2021 5:57 PM

Nov 2008
Not sure why Marielle is now in hiding... Also not sure how MC doesn't know that is clearly a female... They literally have to dress her lol ; though maybe she will become a queen later and alfred a king *shrug* I could see it happening in this kind of series. (since it [them meeting and becoming close] brings about a new Era to the world as stated in the ending to EP1)
Jan 7, 2021 6:08 PM
Nov 2020
The narration style and all these characters being introduced in one episode kinda reminds me of LoGH...

Some questions:

-what was Leon's relationship to the king/kingdom? (was he also a templar?)
-how did Fernando's daughter (MC's sister) die? there's one scene where it shows the head stone and it shows that both Fernando and Bernadette died in the same year (767).
-what was the cat creature's name again?
-the female templar from eariler in the episode ...I wonder why she broke ties with Maurice?

I wonder what role the principality of Olivier will play in the story. Are they going to be neutral at this point (like Fezzan) or continue to support the kingdom or join the Camellian rebels?
Jan 7, 2021 11:52 PM

Mar 2009
I just don't understand how they can't tell Marius is a girl. She's lived with them for years..
Jan 8, 2021 12:35 AM

Apr 2016
Mormegil said:
I just don't understand how they can't tell Marius is a girl. She's lived with them for years..

That's the magic of anime logic.
Jan 8, 2021 5:35 AM

Aug 2019
Meh. Another generic fantasy adapted from a game that would obviously be awful and boring, would prob drop this later on.
Too much CGI!
Jan 8, 2021 6:47 AM

Nov 2009
Feels like King's Raid all over again. And would it kill them to make the princess look the part of a boy more since she's apparently been successfully pretending to be one for years? It completely breaks immersion and caused me to facepalm every time she's on screen and I'm expected to pretend her nonexistent disguise would fool anyone.
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Jan 8, 2021 8:42 AM

Jun 2016
kuwangpa said:
The narration style and all these characters being introduced in one episode kinda reminds me of LoGH...

CG said:
Feels like King's Raid all over again.

I haven't watched Legend of Galactic Heroes and I'm watching the ongoing King's Raid but i think that the story and the setting is more similar to Madan no ou to Vanadis (Lord Marksman and Vanadis).
Jan 8, 2021 10:20 AM
May 2019
This show is painfully dry. There’s nothing offensively bad about it, but it just feels like a bunch of rpg troupes thrown into an anime with zero effort to tell a story or build characters. Ok, maybe it is offensively bad.
Jan 8, 2021 11:01 AM
Isekai Trucker

Oct 2015
Just gotta ask. Was it just me? Why was this show so awkward to watch? I can't really explain it but god damn.
Kind off liked the ending though.
AzuchiJan 8, 2021 11:05 AM
"You only realize the real value of something you discarded when you get the chance to pick it up again." - Rudeus Greyrat
Jan 8, 2021 1:37 PM

May 2018
Pretty much a cliché fantasy anime.
Jan 8, 2021 3:08 PM
Dec 2018
kuwangpa said:

-what was Leon's relationship to the king/kingdom? (was he also a templar?)
-how did Fernando's daughter (MC's sister) die? there's one scene where it shows the head stone and it shows that both Fernando and Bernadette died in the same year (767).
-what was the cat creature's name again?
-the female templar from eariler in the episode ...I wonder why she broke ties with Maurice?
I wonder what role the principality of Olivier will play in the story. Are they going to be neutral at this point (like Fezzan) or continue to support the kingdom or join the Camellian rebels?

Reasonable questions, but once you realize that the "source material" for this show is just a random mobile game, you probably stop caring about it.
Latest reviews: Mushoku Tensei P2 🤮 • Meikyuu Black Company 💰 • Tsukimichi 🌙
Jan 8, 2021 6:59 PM

Feb 2014
timzki said:

anyone know how far this is from the anime?

I picked this show after watching this video. Those eyes burning changes are damn cool. And the story seems to be quite interesting too.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Jan 8, 2021 9:50 PM
Sep 2020
Liked the OP presented by MY FIRST STORY

The anime for now is quite interesting
Jan 9, 2021 1:32 AM

Nov 2014
dasprn said:
Those eyes burning changes are damn cool. And the story seems to be quite interesting too.

Yeah I really liked MY FIRST STORY and I just happened to see a whole bunch of SEGA game openings (Soul Reverse Zero, Border Break) and this happened to show up on next. Excited for this anime despite the whole JRPG setting.
Jan 9, 2021 6:10 AM
May 2016
That...that was ...not good.
Jan 9, 2021 5:01 PM

Nov 2010
animejas said:
This episode and show had the same amount of flavor as Cheese-Whiz. So bland and bad that it made me feel sick consuming it. This was just so full of nothing for me, but then again I have never played the game so maybe its just not for me. Dropped for now, may return to it someday if I hear good things about it in future episodes. Shame that a MY FIRST STORY opening was used for this.

I would just say that the word generic exists for stuff like this.
Jan 9, 2021 10:33 PM

Oct 2013
Ok glad to see a lot of people had the same questions as myself.

-why is she in hiding when country not overthrown
-why does she have to hide her identity from MC
-how is she able to hide her identity
-why did the Camelia principality rebel in the first place
-why monster popping up like mushrooms after a nice rain

Ok, people earlier said
-She's in hiding for her own reasons, wants to be on frontline to get revenge for her father and left kingdom to brother...cool
-I can understand just wanting to hide or identity to protect herself and to be treated like a night not a woman...fine
-she was able to hide her identity easily thanks to the Magic of anime.... reasonable
-I still want to know why that principality rebelled, cuz as far as I'm concerned maybe they had a good reason for it The werewolf guy was saying something about dishonor and being betrayed by his king..... So I can't feel bad about the king dying until I know The reason they rebelled, maybe the king's a dick and deserved it......ugh
-also don't know about the monsters popping up didn't really get much into that but it looked like some scroll thingy glowed so whatever magic.....hmmmm

If you have any spoilers put them below or answers to some of my questions.... Much appreciated
Jan 10, 2021 2:07 PM

Apr 2018
Really intense start but a good start so far. R.I.P King and Fernando.
Jan 10, 2021 5:02 PM
Nov 2018
Great first episode. I'm watching this, Back Arrow and The Dungeon Only I Can Enter this season - all fantasy without being isekai! It's pretty amazing.

Always enjoy seeing the noble struggle to manage his realm while getting stronger.

But how could people not see that that is a girl? They could have said she was a girl the father saved, instead of a boy. Come on. She even wears earrings.
Jan 10, 2021 7:31 PM

Sep 2015
Why are people assuming that the MC doesn't know? At no time has he said that he does not know and calling her a boy can be for a thousand reasons.

For the rest, it seems that the story will be more connected with the "Remake" of the game than its original version, I'm watching the PV and they are using scenes from the anime
Jan 10, 2021 11:11 PM
Nov 2018
Funny how some people will come to the forum only to complain. Why do you even bother? Why waste energy on making sure other people will know you don't like the show? Then you can simply not watch it instead of looking up the page on the forum.

It's another thing if the complaints come farther in. If you liked the show at first but think it took a bad turn; when you are already in the habit of taking part of the discussion. But if the show just started, here's an idea: Just go do something else instead.
Jan 11, 2021 12:03 AM

Aug 2017
Hegar said:
Why do you even bother? Why waste energy on making sure other people will know you don't like the show?

because it's meant for discussions? why bother going to a thread only full of people that liked the show to spend energy just to make sure they know that you also liked the show?

kind of interested in a fantasy story that doesn't seem to be as big on magic existing. nonnoria and moru thing were kind of off-putting but I'll deal with it.
Jan 11, 2021 6:29 AM
Mar 2012
Very tense fight pre OP. Nice fur & chainmail textures.
Designs & plot quite rpg generic.
Cool op & ed tho.
awawababa~~
Jan 11, 2021 8:36 AM
Nov 2018
Bloodglas said:
Hegar said:
Why do you even bother? Why waste energy on making sure other people will know you don't like the show?

because it's meant for discussions? why bother going to a thread only full of people that liked the show to spend energy just to make sure they know that you also liked the show?

kind of interested in a fantasy story that doesn't seem to be as big on magic existing. nonnoria and moru thing were kind of off-putting but I'll deal with it.

Of course you'd reply that. Hey, the forum says to discuss, so this is discussion! No one can argue against that, right?

You know you could just check out an anime, and if you don't like it, move on. I do that all the time. That's the normal thing to do. But no! Gotta look it up in the forum and spit on it after seeing that first episode.

When you do that you contribute to a cynical mood, where everything is attacked. Typical for kids growing up with the internet. It's no wonder studies show social media make people feel worse. This forum is included in that. Always people who go looking for things to attack.

I know you don't understand a thing of this. You've grown up with it, you think it's normal. That cynicism inside is the normal state for you.
Jan 12, 2021 4:05 PM
May 2017
wow people whats up with the rating
the anime certainly does not scream "masterpiece", but it is a standard fantasy show that isn't looking isekai level generic
I didn't find too much fault in there, it seems to have the cannon fodder syndrome, but most anime with any fighting have it too, and I hate that small flying whatever that's just in these kinds of shows because idk

so it can go either way, but this first episode wasn't too bad
Jan 13, 2021 4:02 AM

Aug 2017
Hegar said:
Bloodglas said:

Of course you'd reply that. Hey, the forum says to discuss, so this is discussion! No one can argue against that, right?

You know you could just check out an anime, and if you don't like it, move on. I do that all the time. That's the normal thing to do. But no! Gotta look it up in the forum and spit on it after seeing that first episode.

When you do that you contribute to a cynical mood, where everything is attacked. Typical for kids growing up with the internet. It's no wonder studies show social media make people feel worse. This forum is included in that. Always people who go looking for things to attack.

I know you don't understand a thing of this. You've grown up with it, you think it's normal. That cynicism inside is the normal state for you.

that's quite a cynical stance for you to take.
Jan 13, 2021 1:25 PM

Mar 2015
I enjoyed the first episode and liked how they set up the story.

There is an ALC (Annoying Little Creature) but hopefully it won't be in too much of the story. The maid is a character whose name I won't be remembering as I am going to refer to her as 'Squeaky' because her voice sounds like a door hinge that's desperately in need of oil.

I do like the fact that the weapons are of reasonable size and the heroes are not swinging sharpened I-beams at one another. The fighting looks good thus far and I like how the characters and plot are being laid down. I do hope to see more of Adelheid in future episodes because ever since I watched Moribito oh-so many years ago I have had a strong liking for female spear wielders.

Looking forward to episode two!
The sword that takes life gives life
Jan 13, 2021 2:46 PM
Nov 2018
Bloodglas said:
Hegar said:

Aww, kiddie learned the word cynical so now he has to use it. LOL You didn't have any comeback other than that.

Of course you can't just learn something about common decency and move on, no, gotta get the last word! Look, someone wrote about how people shouldn't act like bitches in forum, of course you have to take that personal! Typical little kid. Maybe you'll learn when you're older what I'm talking about.
Jan 13, 2021 7:20 PM
Jan 2021
skysurf said:
Can't stand the annoying mascot that ends everything it says with "moru", as if this is a show for kids.

Story is as generic as it gets. Apparently it comes from a mobile game...

With many great shows this season, this one is a safe DROP.

Yeah WTF with this f*cking "moru"???? I wish it gets killed in future episodes.
Jan 14, 2021 12:43 AM

Oct 2016
Damn, Takehito Koyasu and Tsuda Kenjiro in the same anime. That's awesome, shame that Fernando died early.

That was actually not bad, I mean as long as a show has decent plot and good flow, it will be enjoyable. It's your classic fantasy story. Though it's kinda hard to believe that they haven't realized Marius is a girl. Well, doesn't really bother me that much, gotta have some suspension of disbelief.
Jan 14, 2021 3:58 AM

Aug 2017
Hegar said:
Bloodglas said:

Aww, kiddie learned the word cynical so now he has to use it. LOL You didn't have any comeback other than that.

Of course you can't just learn something about common decency and move on, no, gotta get the last word! Look, someone wrote about how people shouldn't act like bitches in forum, of course you have to take that personal! Typical little kid. Maybe you'll learn when you're older what I'm talking about.

dude, get over yourself. it's not cynical for me to think that if people care enough about a show they saw that they should be welcome to share their opinions on it regardless of whether that opinion is positive or not. just because you "do it all the time" you expect everyone else to do the same? everyone should just keep unfavorable opinions to themselves because you don't want to have to see it? shall we all just leave every show with praises and have the only ones giving ratings be the those that think it's 8+.

you're so smart though so you must know that using the "gotta get the last word" card just makes you a hypocrite, yeah? of course you can't just let people have their opinions, you have to waste energy complaining about the people complaining. why are you taking it personally that some other people don't like a show that you do? maybe instead of demanding other people to stop doing things you don't like you could try taking some personal responsibility to just ignore them and, ya know, move on.
Jan 16, 2021 8:42 PM

Dec 2018
*spots a Bangs Girl in the character montage near the end*
Alright, I'm in.

*imagines the blue magi-cat swiping at her mouse friend*
Jan 20, 2021 9:23 PM
The Madaora

Aug 2016
I didn't know it was based off or originated from a game, it's completely new to me but I really enjoyed episode 1. A lot more than I figured I would, I just assumed it would be some generic medieval series like many others, and it might still be generic and simple but it was at least entertaining. Though I was a little confused about certain details, overall I'm actually a little excited to continue with this.
Jan 20, 2021 10:08 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
I come here with an open minded. But, hell, guess i just watch too many show this season which feel that these show was so bland. Too average as a fantasy story. I just hope this show didn't have a demon lord and its dark demon races, or damn, this one really dull to its storyline. Too wide and generic as a kingdom medieval story. The betrayal. The death of the king. They even didn't do a proper background story of how that shit can be even begin with. In general, i don't even find any uniqueness over this show, unless, that princess in disguised really surprised me, a bit. How the hell that Young Lord Alfred kept saying his squire as a boy? Were there even peoples told the truth, or am i missing something here?

Guess i just put this one below my priority for not taking this series too seriously like the others. So sorry for that.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jan 26, 2021 10:17 AM
Nov 2018
Bloodglas said:
Hegar said:

dude, get over yourself. it's not cynical for me to think that if people care enough about a show they saw that they should be welcome to share their opinions on it regardless of whether that opinion is positive or not. just because you "do it all the time" you expect everyone else to do the same? everyone should just keep unfavorable opinions to themselves because you don't want to have to see it? shall we all just leave every show with praises and have the only ones giving ratings be the those that think it's 8+.

you're so smart though so you must know that using the "gotta get the last word" card just makes you a hypocrite, yeah? of course you can't just let people have their opinions, you have to waste energy complaining about the people complaining. why are you taking it personally that some other people don't like a show that you do? maybe instead of demanding other people to stop doing things you don't like you could try taking some personal responsibility to just ignore them and, ya know, move on.

What a hilarious rambling post. "taking it personally," idiotic. I post something and YOU are the one who talk to ME. Now you pretend that it'd be the other way around. You're not a very good liar. Not when how it really happened is visible to anyone in the thread.

"take it personally" LOL That's exactly what YOU are doing, are you seriously incapable of seeing that? Apparently yes. And then you can't stop whining about it, gotta have the last word! Turning it completely around because you can't see your own behavior. Typical of a spoiled kid who thinks it can't do anything wrong.
HegarJan 26, 2021 10:23 AM
Jan 27, 2021 6:28 AM

Aug 2017
Hegar said:
Bloodglas said:

What a hilarious rambling post. "taking it personally," idiotic. I post something and YOU are the one who talk to ME. Now you pretend that it'd be the other way around. You're not a very good liar. Not when how it really happened is visible to anyone in the thread.

"take it personally" LOL That's exactly what YOU are doing, are you seriously incapable of seeing that? Apparently yes. And then you can't stop whining about it, gotta have the last word! Turning it completely around because you can't see your own behavior. Typical of a spoiled kid who thinks it can't do anything wrong.

yes, you posted something I disagreed with so I replied to you. you disagreed with me and replied back. as we both keep doing.

you say I'm the one taking it personally, yet you keep resorting to hurling insults. I didn't even say me talking to you is what you were taking personally. it should be "visible to anyone in the thread" such as yourself, yes? the post I first replied to was you complaining about people complaining, which I already said. but sure, just dismiss it as "rambling" if you have no real defense.

you say I'm the one that has to have the last word, yet you still come back to reply even twelve days later, still unable to move on with your life. saying I'm "turning it around" when that's all you're doing now. that's all you can do, much like your fixation on my age and calling me a kid. projecting your own insecurities onto others so much isn't healthy, you know.
Feb 3, 2021 11:03 AM

Sep 2011
This is exciting! I'm keeping this on my watchlist this season.
Also, if the ED is anything to go by, I ship Marius and Alfred now.
I want to sleep...
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» what made this anime score low? please explain without spoilers the story line ..

FarhanKun - Apr 11, 2021

13 by MadVandal »»
Dec 30, 2023 7:46 PM

Poll: » Hortensia Saga (TV) Episode 2 Discussion

KANLen09 - Jan 13, 2021

47 by klompa »»
Nov 7, 2022 7:04 PM

Poll: » Hortensia Saga (TV) Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2021

73 by Rexicek159 »»
Sep 12, 2022 12:59 PM

» Should I drop this ?

Roronoa_alex01 - Jan 13, 2021

17 by HagePotPotato »»
Feb 2, 2022 10:17 PM

Poll: » Hortensia Saga (TV) Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 17, 2021

24 by HagePotPotato »»
Feb 2, 2022 9:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.