Forum Settings
Forums

Fantasy Action Manga 'Orient' Gets TV Anime Adaptation

New
Jan 3, 2021 8:04 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013

Kodansha announced on Monday that Shinobu Ohtaka's fantasy action manga Orient is being adapted into a television anime. The official YouTube channel of Weekly Shounen Magazine posted an announcement promo.

The publisher also announced that Orient will conclude its run in Weekly Shounen Magazine with the 113th chapter in the sixth 2021 issue on Wednesday. The manga will then switch to Bessatsu Shounen Magazine, beginning with its March 2021 issue on February 9.

Synopsis
Five years ago, Musashi made a promise with his friend Kojirou Kanemaki that once they grew up, they would become samurai, form a league, and go on demon-slaying quests. But since then, things have changed. With demons now being praised and worshipped by society, the samurai are shunned and disgraced.

Afraid of revealing his dream of becoming a samurai, Musashi blends into the town's dogma by becoming a miner while secretly polishing his swordsmanship. Meanwhile, despite being a direct descendant of a samurai, Kojirou gives up on his promise to his old friend. However, after saving Musashi from a near-death experience, his perspective shifts. Although still conflicted, Kojirou embarks on a journey with Musashi in the hopes of figuring out his true feelings.

Fighting against all odds, the duo dives headfirst into the unknown world of beast-slaying, not knowing what life has in store for them. Now astride iron horses, the fifteen-year-old heroes plan to restore the tarnished reputation of the samurai and purge the world of demons. [Written by MAL Rewrite]

Ohtaka began drawing the fantasy action manga in Weekly Shounen Magazine in May 2018, approximately seven months after ending Magi (Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic). Kodansha published the 11th compiled volume on November 17 last year. Kodansha Comics licensed the manga in English last March and released the ninth volume digitally on December 15.

Announcement

Magazine Pocket page: https://pocket.shonenmagazine.com/episode/10834108156630993874
Manga official Twitter: @orient_magazine

Source: PR Times

Orient on MAL

Jan 3, 2021 8:25 PM
Aug 2020
I've seen up to chapter 93. Really interested in seeing the anime.
Jan 3, 2021 8:48 PM

Oct 2020
Oooh, I saw the few first chapters and decided to pile it up, but i ended up forgot about it.. lol XD
But I'm interested again now. Looking forward to it ^^
A certain person lurking here
Jan 3, 2021 8:54 PM

Oct 2017
Haven't read the manga yet but a new work from Magi's author, I'm excited.
Jan 3, 2021 9:34 PM

Apr 2015
Oh damn, great news! I haven't read the manga but I absolutely love Magi so I'm looking forward to it. If nothing else, at least it gives a glimmer of hope for Magi season 3...haha...I wish. All I want is to see cactus Alibaba animated, is that too much to ask for.

"As promised, all that you seek, all that we desire, is prepared up there. On top of the Tower."
Jan 3, 2021 11:02 PM
Jul 2017
I only know of Orient because of Magi. From what I’ve seen people give it low ratings. I’ll still check it out but why do people not like Orient that much?
Jan 3, 2021 11:59 PM
Jun 2019
Seems really nice! Haven't red the manga yet, but am I the only one who noticed that the protagonists' names are the Japanese names of Jessie and James in Pokemon (Jessie=Musashi, James=Kojirou)?
Jan 4, 2021 12:34 AM

Mar 2015
Phlaryx said:
I only know of Orient because of Magi. From what I’ve seen people give it low ratings. I’ll still check it out but why do people not like Orient that much?
it's pretty boring all things considered. nothing really grasp me. character are underwhelming, the word building are vague, and the story was noting noteworthy. shame tho since the art are very cool.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jan 4, 2021 1:00 AM

Oct 2010
great new, all ohtaka shinobu manga deserve to be animated, I don't know what to think about the magazine change, from weekly to monthly sounds like the series is not that popular or it's just me thinking that
Jan 4, 2021 1:39 AM

Dec 2018
Only going to read/watch since it was made by the author of Magi.

Jan 4, 2021 3:02 AM

Nov 2017
We need more original creative anime adaptions

plz @ me
Jan 4, 2021 3:24 AM

Jul 2013
AllIsManga said:
Oh damn, great news! I haven't read the manga but I absolutely love Magi so I'm looking forward to it. If nothing else, at least it gives a glimmer of hope for Magi season 3...haha...I wish. All I want is to see cactus Alibaba animated, is that too much to ask for.

Actually this takes away hope at Magi getting another season. Which is sad.
Jan 4, 2021 3:59 AM

Jun 2014
Catalano said:
great new, all ohtaka shinobu manga deserve to be animated, I don't know what to think about the magazine change, from weekly to monthly sounds like the series is not that popular or it's just me thinking that

The mangaka said she wanted to move the series to a monthly magazine since she was struggling to keep up with the weekly deadlines.
:3
Jan 4, 2021 4:04 AM

Oct 2010
alpha_shadow said:
Catalano said:

The mangaka said she wanted to move the series to a monthly magazine since she was struggling to keep up with the weekly deadlines.

thanks, now I understand, so it was her decision, very interesting. That means the story/art style won't get low in quality, so I am happy.
Jan 4, 2021 4:12 AM
Sep 2020
Great news, BUT PLEASE MAGI S3 AS WELL :((
Attack on titan final arc makes game of throne season 8 look like a MASTERPIECE.

isayama is fucking incompetent clown
Jan 4, 2021 4:15 AM

Jun 2014
Phlaryx said:

It's a really great adventure fantasy shonen manga but people don't know how to appreciate it.
:3
Jan 4, 2021 4:32 AM

Aug 2020
finally an official article about it!! I started the manga recently bc of Magi so i am excited.
Jan 4, 2021 4:43 AM

Apr 2012
Another adaptation of action shonen? Is the genre experiencing a resurgence after Kimetsu, Dr Stone and Jujutsu?

Jan 4, 2021 10:36 AM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
A shonen action series involving samurai? Sign me up!!!
Jan 4, 2021 3:16 PM
Playing Violet

Jun 2017
Very much looking forward to this~!<3 ^^
Jan 4, 2021 5:21 PM

Dec 2016
Author of Magi made Orient. I will watch the anime!
Jan 5, 2021 7:29 PM

Apr 2014
SeventhFall said:
Seems really nice! Haven't red the manga yet, but am I the only one who noticed that the protagonists' names are the Japanese names of Jessie and James in Pokemon (Jessie=Musashi, James=Kojirou)?

It's because they're named after the famous swordsmen Sasaki Kojirō and Miyamoto Musashi, who are often associated with each other because they were rivals and Musashi killed Kojirō in a duel.

Fun fact: In English, Jessie and James are named after Jesse James, an American outlaw.
Jan 10, 2021 7:47 AM
Nov 2020
Phlaryx said:

Maybe because of the BL vibes?
I mean, No female character, a male MC that "embarks on a journey with Musashi (also male) in the hopes of figuring out his true feelings."
I wonder what those feelings are.
Mar 23, 2022 1:03 PM

Jan 2022
Jacynto said:
Phlaryx said:

Maybe because of the BL vibes?
I mean, No female character, a male MC that "embarks on a journey with Musashi (also male) in the hopes of figuring out his true feelings."
I wonder what those feelings are.

I'm guessing you only saw the first 3 episodes. A female joins the crew starting episode 4 (or technically 5), and it's been made obvious with episode 5-7 that Musashi and Kojiro are straight.
Also, 'a male MC that ''embarks on a journey with Musashi (also male)''... Musashi is the MC, that doesn't make sense.

Anyways, from what I've seen, the plot is very basic shounen, the world isn't explained properly yet, the animation is pretty stiff, the MC was praised for getting into everyone's way, and people expected more from the author of Magi.
I don't think it's good myself, just don't go in with expectations.

Edit: Ah, sorry, by that point the next episodes weren't released; feel free to ignore that part. Anyways, my critics all stand for the first few episodes, and yes there is a male 'bond, between the 2 MCs, but you still do see the girl on the cover. I also don't think so many people would rate a show low because of BL..
Bidoof_PMD-EOSMar 23, 2022 1:06 PM

More topics from this board

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

3 by ToyaMochizuki »»
2 hours ago

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

16 by Jonas-K »»
3 hours ago

» Spring 2024 Simulcast List [Update 4/18]

Snow - Apr 5

28 by infanf »»
3 hours ago

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, Two Consecutive Cours

DatRandomDude - 4 hours ago

3 by RobertBobert »»
4 hours ago

» Manga 'Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi' Ends with 13th Volume

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

8 by AddaeAkono »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.