Forum Settings
Forums

Anime adaptations that made you read the manga?

New
Jan 2, 2021 8:29 PM
Apr 2016
What are some anime adaptations that made you read the manga? I'm not really a manga person, but I nonetheless had to read Berserk and One Piece after watching their adaptations. If there are too many of those for you, what are some of the more notable and why?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 2, 2021 8:30 PM

Jul 2020
Grand Blue seemed pretty long and I didn't know if I should read it, but I watched the anime and I started the manga. I started at the beginning because tbh it was much better than the adaptation.
Jan 2, 2021 8:31 PM
Dec 2017
i liked the psycho pass series so much i had to get more of it i read the manga series which is a prequel and also the manga adaptaiton focusing on Akane and even the audio dramas as well and its really great.

Jan 2, 2021 8:32 PM

Sep 2020
Attack On Titan
Erased (beacuse the ending of the anime was dissapointing)
Kaguya-sama

and many more but I'm to lazy to list them.
Jan 2, 2021 8:33 PM

Jul 2020
I read Black Lagoon after watching the anime five or six times. It was awesome.
Jan 2, 2021 8:52 PM

Aug 2010
Angel Beats! and Ef: because I loved the series a lot, so I tried to consume as much contents as I could. I read the Ef visual novel too.

Pandora Heats and Erased: because manga reader said the manga are way better

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun: because I want to see what happened to the side couple that I like but wasn't developed much in the anime

Mikakunin de Shinkoukei and Hinamatsuri: because I'm curious of what happens after the end of the anime

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun and Wotakoi: I read from when it debuted, but stopped at one point. After the anime aired and I watched it, I came back reading the manga again
Jan 2, 2021 8:54 PM

Oct 2018
Yagate Kimi ni Naru and I intend to read Koi wa Ameagari no You ni someday.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Jan 2, 2021 8:57 PM

Sep 2019
I tend to just pick up from the end of seasonals because the wait in between is too long.

For example:
* Kaguya Sama
* 3-Gatsu no Lion
* Made in Abyss
* Vinland Saga
* One Punch Man
* Yagate Kimi ni Naru
Jan 2, 2021 8:58 PM

Aug 2018
Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai

...because the anime ended abruptly with the story only half-finished.

Also Made in Abyss because I am too impatient to wait.

Apr 2020
BERSERKK

it left on a big cliffhanger that blew my mind so i had to read the manga or else i wouldnt be complete. i started from the beginning because i heard it left out a big part (which it did) and im too obsessed with the art style not to

Darlifra

judge me all ya want, but i really like darlifra because the romance speaks to me somehow

but the anime was basically 10x more ecchi, big boobies too, lol i didnt know what i expected
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Aug 2020
Dorohedoro

Attack on Titan

Demon Slayer

Barakamon

Jul 2018
one piece, vinland saga, hunter x hunter, kimetsu no yaiba, jojo's bizzarre adventure and tokyo ghoul
Jan 2, 2021 8:59 PM

Aug 2020
Kenzolo-folk said:
BERSERKK

it left on a big cliffhanger that blew my mind so i had to read the manga or else i wouldnt be complete. i started from the beginning because i heard it left out a big part (which it did) and im too obsessed with the art style not to

Surprisingly I never saw the movies and just jumped into the manga randomly while scrolling for random manga
Jan 2, 2021 8:59 PM
May 2018
Bloom Into You

Was so incredible I immediately bought the whole series
Jan 2, 2021 9:00 PM

Apr 2020
KuroGFX said:
Kenzolo-folk said:
BERSERKK

Surprisingly I never saw the movies and just jumped into the manga randomly while scrolling for random manga

i started with the 97 anime because the gritty feel just fit it a lot more. the movies are alright imo, but wow, starting the manga with no expectations must have been something else.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 2, 2021 9:02 PM

Aug 2018
Houseki no Kuni, One Punch-Man, Shingeki no Kyojin, Haikyuu!!, etc.
Jan 2, 2021 9:05 PM

Oct 2015
Tokyo Ghoul cause I was hearing so much hate over the anime at first and it made me curious about the manga.

The same thing with Berserk actually, I was hearing people bash the anime and checked out the manga.
"Even if there isn't a God or meaning behind life. That doesn't mean you can't create your own meaning and make the best out of life."
Jan 2, 2021 9:05 PM

Oct 2019
One Pieces horrendous art made me switch to the manga, Haikyuu and Attack on Titan had such great adaptations that it made me want to catch up with the manga.
Jan 2, 2021 9:06 PM
May 2020
Masamune-kun's Revenge because the anime was just a promotion.
The World God Only Knows because it only has 6-7 volumes left after the anime ended, also kinda cliffhanger.
No Game No Life (Light Novel) because it is goddamn cliffhanger.
Bakemonogatari because i'm curious on how it works in manga medium.
ReLIFE because people said it skips a lot from the manga.
PlayayJan 2, 2021 9:09 PM
Jan 2, 2021 9:06 PM

Aug 2020
Kenzolo-folk said:
KuroGFX said:

i started with the 97 anime because the gritty feel just fit it a lot more. the movies are alright imo, but wow, starting the manga with no expectations must have been something else.

I actually got bored during the black swordsman arc and dropped for a couple of says but finished that arc and then dashed through most of the golden age arc until the ending but that was because i could tell what was going to happen and it kinda killed me to keep reading but yeah the eclipse scene caused me some nightmares like the ones you forget because you don't actually want to remember it gave disgusting feelings at how f'ed up the relationship got between guts and griffith but yeah if i had to say my favorite arc in berserk is the lost childrens arc
Jan 2, 2021 9:07 PM

Aug 2020
MSK3 said:
I tend to just pick up from the end of seasonals because the wait in between is too long.

For example:
* Kaguya Sama
* 3-Gatsu no Lion
* Made in Abyss
* Vinland Saga
* One Punch Man
* Yagate Kimi ni Naru

Agreed that the wait is always to long between seasons thus I to have started reading the manga of a few of the series I watch... most not listed in my manga list.

The only annoying part to this is getting all the chapters/volumes to the series at one time. I tend to be a binge reader and get frustrated with having to track down missing sections.

It would be nice if we could checkout/rent complete series without it costing an arm and a leg... this would keep most of us honest law abiding citizens and not high tech pirates.

Does anyone actually read these post... hahahah
Jan 2, 2021 9:07 PM

Apr 2020
KuroGFX said:
Kenzolo-folk said:

I actually got bored during the black swordsman arc and dropped for a couple of says but finished that arc and then dashed through most of the golden age arc until the ending but that was because i could tell what was going to happen and it kinda killed me to keep reading but yeah the eclipse scene caused me some nightmares like the ones you forget because you don't actually want to remember it gave disgusting feelings at how f'ed up the relationship got between guts and griffith but yeah if i had to say my favorite arc in berserk is the lost childrens arc

ohh, i probably would have done the same if i wasnt so attracted to guts (lmao)
my favorite arc is the conviction arc because casca and guts scenes ^^
Jan 2, 2021 9:08 PM

Apr 2020
The anime bloom into you made me want to read the manga since the ending is really a "read the manga" type ending
Worth reading the manga 100% if you liked the anime
Jan 2, 2021 9:12 PM

Aug 2020
Kenzolo-folk said:
KuroGFX said:

Thats my second favorite it really felt like the best written by Miura in my opinion but i like the lost children because of the sense of isolation and quiet sadness I honestly think its a way better black swordsman arc in so many ways
Jan 2, 2021 9:12 PM

Dec 2012
I'm mainly an anime watcher too, so the manga/novels I've read is comparatively small compared the anime I've watched.

Manga:

Novels:

Should I count the ones that are on my shelves but I haven't started reading yet? There's a lot of those....
KruszerJan 2, 2021 9:21 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jan 2, 2021 9:13 PM

Apr 2016
Gantz, Inuyashiki, Initial D, Berserk

There are probably more but I don't remember them off the top of my head
Jan 2, 2021 9:15 PM

Apr 2015
Akatsuki no Yona, Munou no Nana, Noragami, and Houseki no Kuni. Also re-read Tower of God after the anime finished. All my other manga that I'm currently caught up on, I'd read before the anime adaptations came out.

Yona: I started reading it right after the second episode came out because my friend said it gets even better and I couldn't wait to figure out why Su-won did what he did. Didn't get the answer until a few months ago, but still, best decision of my life.

Munou no Nana: The anime ended on a cliffhanger and the manga readers said it gets even better. Also not sure if it would even get a second season.

Noragami: Started reading after the first season finished. Couldn't wait to figure out what happened next.

Houseki no Kuni: Just interested in the "mystery" aspect

"As promised, all that you seek, all that we desire, is prepared up there. On top of the Tower."
Jan 2, 2021 9:16 PM
News Team
Demon Spawn

Apr 2017
Tokyo Ghoul

I had heard how different the manga was from the anime and how much better it was, but I had one manga thing spoiled for me that changed the entire plot of the show so I had to see what I was missing.
Jan 2, 2021 9:17 PM

Aug 2014
Read 'Uchuu Kyoudai' after anime completion because I loved it so much and also because I doubt more anime adaptions will be made.
Read 'AoT' after season 2 ended for similar reasons of not knowing if or when more seasons would come out.
Read 'Fuuka' because I watched 'Suzuka', which are both in the same universe.
Jan 2, 2021 9:23 PM

Apr 2020
KuroGFX said:
Kenzolo-folk said:

Thats my second favorite it really felt like the best written by Miura in my opinion but i like the lost children because of the sense of isolation and quiet sadness I honestly think its a way better black swordsman arc in so many ways

I agree, i think the swordsman arc was just supposed to show how edgy guts ended up getting. the childrens arc made him lean away from that and become more like how he is now. because of the feeling of isolation and sadness
Jan 2, 2021 9:23 PM

Apr 2020
Kimetsu no Yaiba
Kaguya-sama: Love is War
Noragami
Akame ga Kill (I wanted to know the original ending)
3-gatsu no lion
Jan 2, 2021 9:26 PM

Aug 2020
Kenzolo-folk said:
KuroGFX said:

I agree, i think the swordsman arc was just supposed to show how edgy guts ended up getting. the childrens arc made him lean away from that and become more like how he is now. because of the feeling of isolation and sadness

when you put it like that I agree with you but the arc is still kinda frustrating to read ngl although i understand the narrative structure a little better now since it's meant to be a look at guts with context but at the same time I think the first chapter with guts doing it with a demon is kinda too much and at some moments during that arc guts is a little out of character is all even if it was after the eclipse
Jan 2, 2021 9:30 PM

Apr 2020
KuroGFX said:
Kenzolo-folk said:

when you put it like that I agree with you but the arc is still kinda frustrating to read ngl although i understand the narrative structure a little better now since it's meant to be a look at guts with context but at the same time I think the first chapter with guts doing it with a demon is kinda too much and at some moments during that arc guts is a little out of character is all even if it was after the eclipse

i actually saw from an interview that when that demon scene was put in, he hadnt even thought of the idea of casca. he didnt really have a direction for the story or guts' personality, so thats probably why he is literally not at all like himself and its kinda awkward. i hate that scene lmao, whenever i re-read berserk, i aggressively scroll through the black swordsman arc until puck gets introduced.
Jan 2, 2021 9:32 PM

Apr 2019
i loved the Kengan Ashura anime on netflix so much that i wanted to know how it ended and now im finished with the manga and caught up with the sequel. Really good series highly recommend it.
Jan 2, 2021 9:34 PM

Feb 2020
Was not happy with Tokyo Ghoul Root A. Went on to read the manga. I'm a little less disappointed now.
Watched Grand Blue at random. Found it weird but funny. Read the manga. Now it's 100 times more funny. Prolly the most "worth-it" manga I've read yet.
Vinland Saga is one of those "couldn't-wait-for-season-two" manga that I read, and now it's my favorite manga.
Jan 2, 2021 9:35 PM

Aug 2020
Kenzolo-folk said:
KuroGFX said:

i actually saw from an interview that when that demon scene was put in, he hadnt even thought of the idea of casca. he didnt really have a direction for the story or guts' personality, so thats probably why he is literally not at all like himself and its kinda awkward. i hate that scene lmao, whenever i re-read berserk, i aggressively scroll through the black swordsman arc until puck gets introduced.

thats fair the first arc is almost like a template for berserk or a prototype even though there was already a prototype and some things were though out but for the most part a lot of stuff was being thought out initially during the arc I think it might've been better to have shortened the arc and cut out the god hand or at least the part where he says griffith since i think it ruins a plot twist and then
Jan 2, 2021 9:39 PM

Dec 2019
My hero academia is the one that got me hooked into the manga and also it's was my first manga
Jan 2, 2021 9:39 PM

Apr 2020
KuroGFX said:
Kenzolo-folk said:

thats fair the first arc is almost like a template for berserk or a prototype even though there was already a prototype and some things were though out but for the most part a lot of stuff was being thought out initially during the arc I think it might've been better to have shortened the arc and cut out the god hand or at least the part where he says griffith since i think it ruins a plot twist and then

fr, if i was a manga-first, i would have been so upset that they spoiled Griffiths entire villainous personality and what he ended up looking like after being part of the godhand.
Jan 2, 2021 9:42 PM

Jun 2020
Attack on Titan because I kept seeing spoilers and Tokyo Ghoul because the anime was a goddamn disaster
Jan 3, 2021 12:12 AM
Apr 2016
SagarSR said:
Was not happy with Tokyo Ghoul Root A. Went on to read the manga. I'm a little less disappointed now.
Watched Grand Blue at random. Found it weird but funny. Read the manga. Now it's 100 times more funny. Prolly the most "worth-it" manga I've read yet.
Vinland Saga is one of those "couldn't-wait-for-season-two" manga that I read, and now it's my favorite manga.
I'm probably gonna read Vinland Saga too, since it's on par with Berserk for me and I don't really want to wait for the indefinite season 2.
Jan 3, 2021 2:05 AM

May 2013
Most shoujo genres that seem like having some bad ending in Anime. Like Alice Gakuen, Skip Beat, Ao Haru Ride, Koe no Katachi (movie is nice but the manga made me cry), Love-Com, Ookami Shoujo to Kuro Ouji,

Jan 4, 2021 3:31 AM

Jan 2020
Vinland saga , Tonikaku Kawaii , Konosuba (in this case, Light Novel) , Noragami, Bloom into you (best romance)
Хайде, хайде, хайде, това е първата зона, брато, първа зона, първа зона, добре, добре, добре, това става тук горе, отива тук горе, само спокойно, само спокойно... Ха, отдясно е, навсякъде отдясно отдясно къде е дясното ти о да добре добре добре тихо мълчаливо не успях да се съсредоточа върху това ЕХ ТЪПАК КОГАТО СИ БАВНО БАВНО ... ой е путката на моето момиче прасе куче, аз Чувствам се добре, о, мамо, *шамар*, какво е това госпожице татко-
Jan 4, 2021 3:34 AM
Community Mod
Crazy Cat Lady

Apr 2019
Basically almost everything I have listed in my manga list.
Jan 4, 2021 3:50 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Any anime I watched with unfinished story, as long as I am at least a lil bit interested of it ofcourse :)

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Jan 4, 2021 3:54 AM

Dec 2020
Dorohedoro have best art in the manga and the story continues.

Mahoutsukai no Yome have the sequel in the manga.
Jan 4, 2021 3:58 AM
Oct 2020
The anime adaptations that take my interest in reading their manga are Domestic no kanojo and 5-tounbun No Hanayome
Jan 4, 2021 4:02 AM

Sep 2017
Akame ga Kill had a shitty ending so I read the manga
خ
Jan 4, 2021 4:11 AM

Apr 2015
Berserk, Claymore, Made in Abyss, Tate no Yuusha, Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei and others.
Jan 4, 2021 4:15 AM
Feb 2018
I picked up the light novels for In another world with my smartphone, death march to a parallel world rhapsody, by the grace of gods, infinite dendrogram, monster girl doctors, and preordered the first volume of bofuri

as for manga I picked up Monster Musume and Interspecies reviewers
Jan 4, 2021 5:05 AM

Feb 2020
One punch man,kaguya sama,Machikado Mazoku,owari no seraph,Ishuzoku reviewers,5-toubun no Hanayome
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - 5 hours ago

21 by luckyrune »»
3 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 24

31 by 707supremacist »»
4 minutes ago

» Things you are jealous of in anime ( 1 2 )

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

52 by SuperAdventure »»
5 minutes ago

» MULTIPLE UNRELATED anime that you think could be set in the same anime universe

IpreferEcchi - 11 hours ago

15 by Longnines »»
6 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts. ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Yesterday

69 by Longnines »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.