Forum Settings
Forums
Land of the Lustrous
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 22, 2021 5:54 AM

Nov 2007
I just read this entire manga in one day and oh my god.

So far I pretty much only have 2 problems with "recent" story points:
1. The gems who stayed on earth didn't even try listening to Phos when they first came, they just attacked and that made everything worse on both sides. Making these kind of misunderstandings is very common in angst stories, but it really felt kinda weird. I love Eucleas to death but like, they should've been in "let's to try talk to Phos" way earlier than they did, and also had to shut up Bort (which didn't happen at all). I feel like the resolution (or a journey to a new solution) could've been brought up a while ago with way less suffering (especially for Phos), and the reason it didn't happen just doesn't sit well with me.
2. Everyone (aside from Phos) becoming Lunarians. Since this happened in the last chapter I still don't have solid arguments about this one, but again something about it just feels off. I'll have to wait and see if my gut feeling is correct or not.

Also I miss Ghost. They were a great character and I loved them way more than annoying Cairngorm (they were annoying before getting to the moon and after became even worse). I hope we can see Ghost again like Antarc....
EvilWolfJun 22, 2021 5:57 AM
Jun 23, 2021 9:45 PM
Sep 2020
Weebookey said:
At first, I was kinda sad about the gems turning on one-another, but now I really do hope Phos gets proper revenge on them all now.

Also how did Kongou and Antarc get revived? Not sure if it was really explained when I was reading it, unless he lied to Phos about the recovery of gems???

Anyways, see you all in 10,000 years for chapter 96

yeah, Aechmea lied. He needed Phos to become ‘human’, or so unhinged that revenge developed in their psyche.
Jun 24, 2021 7:04 AM

May 2021
Goddamn. Poor Phosphophyllite.
Jul 5, 2021 12:31 PM
Nov 2015
Father, I crave violence
I refuse to feel happy for the other gems, when Phos is all alone, in pain and forgotten about.
They all have been treating her poorly since the beginning, calling her weak and lame before changing, and cruel after.
She was the only one thinking of a way for them to be all together till the end, when the others on the moon just got used to living in comfort there and forgot all about the others and vice versa.

I want revenge on her behalf.
thanks, bb
Jul 11, 2021 9:47 AM

May 2019
Man, the mangaka move was brilliant.

Straightly tell that the history is going to have a mtf huge timeskip of 10.000 years.

And enter in hiatus with the series to enforce the idea of that long time of wait in the audience.
Jul 16, 2021 8:55 AM
May 2017
Weebookey said:
At first, I was kinda sad about the gems turning on one-another, but now I really do hope Phos gets proper revenge on them all now.

Also how did Kongou and Antarc get revived? Not sure if it was really explained when I was reading it, unless he lied to Phos about the recovery of gems???

Anyways, see you all in 10,000 years for chapter 96

It was said that they can't restore them and their memories as a gems anymore but they will be able to do so,if they become a lunarians.Thats how I understood it
Aug 4, 2021 9:02 AM
Nov 2020
So I just caught up to the latest chapter. I have one question though. Why the Lunarian didn't pick up Phos on Earth? Why must Phos wait for 10,000 years? I felt like I am missing something. I do know that all the gems (On Earth and on Moon) were all converted to Lunarian on Moon include the Master. But why Phos was alone on Earth? Can someone help to clarify this for me? And why Enma came to Phos after Phos gain the eye of the sensei? What's the implication of his action? I'm sorry for all the questions but I just can't move on from Phos's suffering. Help a brother here will ya :)
Aug 4, 2021 11:49 PM

Aug 2019
Houseki no Kuni has been such a wild ride. I've wanted several times throughout to drop it because of the sheer amount of pain and suffering that's inflicted not only on Phos, but also on me while reading. However, it's truly the type of story that rewards you for persevering through Phos's tumultuous journey of existentialism and their subsequent spiral into madness. And in a way, I feel as if I've undergone my own changes while catching up to the latest chapter. Anyways, this was a great fucking read. I can't wait to see how Ichikawa Haruko ends this series.

Until next time, Houseki no Kuni. I'll see you again once the hiatus is over!
Aug 15, 2021 1:27 PM

Oct 2010
aimansyafiq14 said:
So I just caught up to the latest chapter. I have one question though. Why the Lunarian didn't pick up Phos on Earth? Why must Phos wait for 10,000 years? I felt like I am missing something. I do know that all the gems (On Earth and on Moon) were all converted to Lunarian on Moon include the Master. But why Phos was alone on Earth? Can someone help to clarify this for me? And why Enma came to Phos after Phos gain the eye of the sensei? What's the implication of his action? I'm sorry for all the questions but I just can't move on from Phos's suffering. Help a brother here will ya :)

late reply, Phos is too dangerous to be on the moon, she wanted to destroy all gems and she could've possibly destroyed the machines that made life easy for the lunarians. She needs to be on earth in order to be transformed into a perfect bodhisatva. They could've captured her but it would have been for naught, she needs to grow there just like sensei. Also, there is something about that eye she gained and the strange minerals on that asteroid, so I guess the prince thinks that she is too dangerous to be on the moon and he wants to keep her oblivious of the whole situation but I may be wrong, it's just an interpretation
Aug 15, 2021 3:16 PM
Aug 2019
So I just caught up with the story and I haven't felt this emotional void in a very long time. This is too much for Phos and I think we will not get a happy ending.
Fuck all the other gems, they just went and forgot about Phos. And I don't trust that sob Prince Enma, something's off with him.

Still have hope for Bortz and Cinnabar, maybe Rutile. But why forsaken Phos!?

Ah, and Cairngorm, what a despicable character.
Aug 15, 2021 10:27 PM

Jul 2019
And I'm finally caught up! What a read. What an speechless read the last 10 or so chapters has been.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Aug 18, 2021 9:43 PM

Aug 2019
Wow, what a manga, it's going in my top 3. I put this series off for so long but I never expected it to get this dark or invoke so many emotions in under 100 chapters, 10/10 for me. Personally I feel like Phos could become the new sensei and start raising gems during the 10,000 years, that would make me happy to see.
Only 9,999.5 years left until hiatus is over
Aug 23, 2021 5:15 AM
Jun 2021
Let's say that Phos did pray for them and everyone turn into nothingness. Then, will Phos become one too? If he didn't, then Whatever he did, he will only left alone.
I love the ending so much, but I still didn't get with Achmea's intention. Is he a good person or only scheming over Phos in aiming his goal? And I wonder, is he really truly want Lunarian become nothingness or he still had his secret purpose? Somehow, I feel he is so secretive and not pure. I'm sorry for suspecting him so much. I really hope my question will be answered ...
Aug 23, 2021 5:25 AM
Jun 2021
AkkiTable said:
Holy hell, I just read through the entire thing in a day, and I've never felt more confused and betrayed during a manga reading. Just what HAPPENED? There was so much information going on that I couldn't process it, so let me get my head straight. Phos wanted everyone to get along and be in peace. He wanted Adamant to pray to let everyone go, but he physically couldn't. The gems, who were on Adamant's side, wanted to kill Phos for it. I just wondered why they hated Phos so much for not letting Adamant pray for them to have peace. Or is it that they don't want peace?

And then the turning of the gems into lunarians. Basically, I hated it. Not as in, "I hate this story, it's terrible", because it was certainly interesting, but I hated it nevertheless X') I couldn't comprehend how they looked so okay with Phos suffering for 10k years for them. He went through a heck ton of suffering for their sake, but they literally went, "yes, see you in 10k years."

It's unfair.
aimansyafiq14 said:

Well, I think they want to kill Phos because they didn't even hear out what is Phos' intention. They misunderstand that now Phos and other gems in his side become Lunarian's side. They (the earth gems) think they (Phos and others) betrayed them and trying to drag Sensei to the moon. They won't let it because they love him (Sensei).
Phos was left in the earth in order to learn to be like Sensei. Sensei is already broken, so they need another new one. It said that it will take 10.000 years, so that's how long the process will go.
I as well didn't get why they're not feel guilty at all after pushed Phos into that thing. Though in the previous chapter, they did show how Euclase, Jade, and Cinnabar feel sorry and apologize to him.
Aug 24, 2021 9:33 PM

May 2019
And no signal of the end of the 10.000 years of hiatus.

Hope that by the return of the mangaka, the anime studio could announce the 2nd season, to boost the merchadising of both manga x anime.

Be a bit more "material", oh budhist-like mangaka.
Sep 13, 2021 4:26 AM

Feb 2012
Rob7 said:
And no signal of the end of the 10.000 years of hiatus.

Hope that by the return of the mangaka, the anime studio could announce the 2nd season, to boost the merchadising of both manga x anime.

Be a bit more "material", oh budhist-like mangaka.

That's my theory on the Hiatus. They're waiting on the completion of a second season so the finale of the Manga and Season 2 can happen simultaniously
In 9/10 cases, the worst thing about an anime is its fandom.
Sep 20, 2021 9:40 PM

Jul 2020
Sheesh i didn't think it would be like this
Oct 1, 2021 11:04 AM

Jul 2008
Almost one year down and only 9,999‬ years to go. I guess we'll all be Lunarians by time this manga continues, lol 😆 😭 😆 😭 😆 😭
Oct 2, 2021 4:50 PM
Jul 2019
aimansyafiq14 said:

Ultimately Phos became human again, so that's basically what was going on. I don't think he/she is human in a strict sense, but she/he was recognized by adamant as a human so...

Phos is on earth because in due time she/he will be responsible for saying the prayer that will free the moon people and it needs 10k years before it can do the prayer..
Oct 19, 2021 10:39 AM
May 2015
Im lost and confused...

1) How did phos became human? And if he is human, how he is going to survive for 10.000 years?

2) So sensei betrayed phos? Thats it? Why?

3) And how did the prince betrayed phos?, i thought they were on the same side even if i was suspicious of him...

4) Sensei and the prince were friends? Of so, why didnt they didnt resolve this sooner?? To me it just feels sensei is the villan of this story... so all they needed is someone to replace sensei's place?

Im just confused because all the gems and sensei dont seem to care about phos even tho he was the one that wanted to save them...
Oct 25, 2021 5:52 AM
Nov 2020
Just Finished ch. 95 and just wanna die, I just wanted phos to be loved and accepted. I hope the gems in the moon suffer for what they did to phos except for antarcite. Can't stop crying wtf
Nov 7, 2021 8:16 AM

May 2014
WTF It's been a fcking year.

How long will the Hiatus stand?

We are pretty much in the finish, I dont get why he cant finish his manga.
Nov 19, 2021 5:24 AM
Jan 2021
Damn, I miss the Old, innocent Phos. I wonder what he/she (cuz their genderless) will become after 10,00 years.
Nov 25, 2021 6:57 PM

May 2019
depressing.
Everyone just gave a big fuck you to phos

it's gonna be 10,000 years until ch. 96
Nov 28, 2021 6:46 AM
Feb 2021
I JUST WANT PHOS TO BE HAPPY

like seriously, 10,000 years by themself. everyone else is happy but not phos. what the fuck this manga is so depressing

phos saved everyone but couldnt even save themself, i really hope phos gets a happy ending :( they literally have become unrecognisable
Nov 29, 2021 4:21 PM

Oct 2017
Evangelist said:
Im lost and confused...

1) How did phos became human? And if he is human, how he is going to survive for 10.000 years?

3) And how did the prince betrayed phos?, i thought they were on the same side even if i was suspicious of him...

4) Sensei and the prince were friends? Of so, why didnt they didnt resolve this sooner?? To me it just feels sensei is the villan of this story... so all they needed is someone to replace sensei's place?

Im just confused because all the gems and sensei dont seem to care about phos even tho he was the one that wanted to save them...

1. Phos is not an actual human lmfao. She is a pseudo-human, this is how Adamant broke as he finally recognised a human like figure to command him.

2. Could u elaborate? lol

3. Enma was using Phos from the beginning, this was established many chapters beforehand. His true intentions are unclear still but it should have something to do with the original lifeforms (humans). They simply had overlapping interest.

4. Sensei knew of enma previously, not his actual name though. The chapter literally says their relationship is extremely complicated.

I'm not sure what's confusing, why would the gems care about Phos? She literally just committed genocide and now they are safe on the moon and free to live eternally. We also don't know if their memories have been altered from the synthetic minerals, but that seems unlikely as Antarc remembers Phosphophylllite.
Nov 29, 2021 4:26 PM
May 2015
Weebookey said:
Evangelist said:
Im lost and confused...

1. Phos is not an actual human lmfao. She is a pseudo-human, this is how Adamant broke as he finally recognised a human like figure to command him.

3. Enma was using Phos from the beginning, this was established many chapters beforehand. His true intentions are unclear still but it should have something to do with the original lifeforms (humans). They simply had overlapping interest.

4. Sensei knew of enma previously, not his actual name though. The chapter literally says their relationship is extremely complicated.

I'm not sure what's confusing, why would the gems care about Phos? She literally just committed genocide and now they are safe on the moon and free to live eternally. We also don't know if their memories have been altered from the synthetic minerals, but that seems unlikely as Antarc remembers Phosphophylllite.

I agree with everything u said. Sorry lol. I wrote this comment right after i read the chapther and was mindblown for a moment.
Nov 29, 2021 4:27 PM

Oct 2017
Evangelist said:
Weebookey said:

I agree with everything u said. Sorry lol. I wrote this comment right after i read the chapther and was mindblown for a moment.

Oh I see, all good then lol. The suffering continues... ;p
Nov 30, 2021 12:06 PM

Jun 2020
Theory time: Phos will make new friends throughout the 10,000 years by being like Adamant and gathering gems on the beach. After amassing many gems throughout the years Phos invades the moon. I can only picture the AoT song "My War" playing in the background where Phos has truly become a monster, a human being. Finally, an epic battle of inconceivable proportions takes place between the earth gems and Lunarians...

Either that or Phos literally just prays and everyone gets Thanos-snapped out of existence.
"You can't have a rainbow without a little rain."
Dec 1, 2021 5:55 PM

Dec 2019
I'm heartbroken how could they do this to her?
Lied and used her for this and now she continues to suffer afterward? 💔💔
Jan 14, 2022 4:56 PM

Dec 2013
It's a good ending honestly don't care if the author never comes back
Mar 7, 2022 10:37 PM
Oct 2020
Phos better give them hell after those 10,000 years are up.
Mar 8, 2022 12:49 PM

Jul 2017
HiddenSilentMe said:
10000 years...or at least for however long the hiatus remains.
well this isn't hxh or berserk here
Apr 20, 2022 1:56 PM

Aug 2018
Now that I have caught up time for a 10000-year-long wait for the next chapter ;-;
_______I like rocks__
May 8, 2022 5:32 AM
Dec 2020
Finally caught up, such a Great series. Verygood end to all of this (lets say arc), I'm sure there will be much more, about Phos and after 10000 years timeskip

Tho I dont know why I didnt feel anything reading it, everyone here seems depressed and some say they cried, while I have no feelings to anything that happened 😂 maybe just excitement was my only feeling.. Tho I usually at least feel sad and lot of times I cry while watching/reading something, but here I wasnt at all lol.... Anyway

One question tho, What was the purpose of Enma going himself to Earth!? he didnt seem to do anything, I thought he was going to destoy Phos and that he manipulated Phos so he(Enma) can get Adamant's Eye from the beginning, then reveal his untold yet plans and that he is the Evil one but it wasnt like that at all, at least for now lol, or am I missing something important!?
May 8, 2022 11:45 PM

Mar 2020
Hasan_Lelouch said:
One question tho, What was the purpose of Enma going himself to Earth!? he didnt seem to do anything, I thought he was going to destoy Phos and that he manipulated Phos so he(Enma) can get Adamant's Eye from the beginning, then reveal his untold yet plans and that he is the Evil one but it wasnt like that at all, at least for now lol, or am I missing something important!?
Enma is not the villain, never was.
There are no villains in Houseki no Kuni, they're all just trying their best to die (as backwards as that sentence sounds).

The purpose of Enma going to Earth is to force Phos to become the next praying machine, the only way is if Phos plugs Kongo's eye into himself. Enma couldn't risk Phos just keeping the eye safe somewhere and never plugging it in, so he uses one of Phos' older cards (where he tricked the Lunarians into thinking he's dead so they take him to the Moon) basically acting as if he's after the eye which in turn gets Phos to plug the eye into himself, therefore becoming the next prayer machine aka the next Kongo/Adamant for the Lunarians.
May 18, 2022 2:26 PM
Jan 2022
Aikotoba said:
Kotopec1337 said:
Why phos needs to suffer so much
From airhead and useless gem to ultimate saver of thousands and thousands souls and absolute monster. What a great character
Peak of character development indeed. But we sure do miss her smile, let's cross our fingers to see it once again after 10 thousand-years...
What if the 10,000 years are symbolic of how long it might take Phos to achieve Nirvana. I suspect that she may start another school, same as adamant did, and find inner peace that way
May 20, 2022 1:44 PM

Mar 2020
David0702 said:
Aikotoba said:
Peak of character development indeed. But we sure do miss her smile, let's cross our fingers to see it once again after 10 thousand-years...
What if the 10,000 years are symbolic of how long it might take Phos to achieve Nirvana. I suspect that she may start another school, same as adamant did, and find inner peace that way
This is the correct interpretation according to Buddhism. You must suffer for 10000 years until you find enlightenment. It is also correlated to the Period of "Mapo" in Buddhism which is basically that eventually people's beliefs will be lost and forgotten, or the "Dharmic decline" that it will over the years decline to the point that it is forgotten. Which circling back to ch95, "let us have a pleasant 10,000 years" implies that they might just forget that Phos is even there. The only person that consistently suffers for all those years and walks that path to enlightenment is Phos which is his final stage before he finally finds peace.

Whether Phos makes another school or just wanders aimlessly for the rest of his life is obviously something we'll have to wait and see but he will find peace or he should unless Ichikawa decides to say "fuck you Phos lol" and sends him on another bender.
Jun 22, 2022 5:58 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Damn I can't imagine how much Phos is suffering... I just remember Phos at the beginning being an airhead with a cute behavior and now suffering alone for 10.000 years while the other became lunarians...
Oct 24, 2022 3:21 PM
May 2019
phos deserved so much better.
May 3, 2023 10:54 PM
Jul 2017
Why she has to suffer for them, when all she had done is fight to bring them happiness 😥😥😢😢
Sep 3, 2023 11:15 PM
Sep 2023
Why all the gems decide to become lunarian :((
Nov 10, 2023 5:13 AM

Dec 2018
reading this in my school library bawling almost, this chapter was tragic..

Feb 23, 12:49 PM

Oct 2017
Serves Phos right, for everything they did. Everyone else gets to live happily in moon for 10 thousand years atleast.

Finally decided to get back to this as it's continuing in a day and will be over soon. Can't believe 2020 was 3 years ago already. Time sure flies.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Ending release tied to Comet

NightlyData - 4 hours ago

2 by Rishon007 »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni Chapter 108 Discussion ( 1 2 )

kizumi91 - Apr 24

76 by off-season »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni Chapter 107 Discussion

Snovia - Mar 24

33 by Mugglus »»
Apr 22, 1:12 AM

» "Land of the Lustrous" (Houseki no Kuni) manga by Haruko Ichikawa will be COMPLETED NEXT MONTH

deg - Mar 19

30 by Atsunome »»
Apr 21, 7:28 PM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni Chapter 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 21, 2014

4 by CritiCold »»
Apr 2, 11:02 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.