Forum Settings
Forums

'Yami Shibai' Receives Eighth Season in January 2021

Nov 27, 2020 5:19 PM
News Team
Overkilled Red

An eighth season for the Yami Shibai (Yamishibai: Japanese Ghost Stories) short horror anime series was announced by television station TV Tokyo on Friday. The new season—centered on the theme of "invisible fear"—will begin airing in January 2021. TV Tokyo's AniTele website will stream each episode a week ahead of the television broadcast.

Kanji Tsuda is reprising his roles as the storyteller from the previous seasons. Satoko Kishino (Yami Shibai 5 script), who appeared in the third and fourth season, is also returning as a cast member.

Former member of idol groups NGT48, SKE48, AKB48, and currently associated with the latter's sub-unit Not Yet, Rie Kitahara (Gakkou no Kowai Uwasa Shin: Hanako-san ga Kita!!), and idol group Niji no Conquistador's Akari Nakamura (Wooser no Sono Higurashi: Mugen-hen) are joining the voice cast.

New cast from the animation field include Miho Okasaki (Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken), MoeMi (Mangirl!), and Oolongta Yoshida (Hinomaruzumou).

Actors Toshimasa Niiro (Sore dake ga Neck), Yutaka Shimizu (Summer Wars), Masaki Sawai (Business Fish), Kou Ikeda (Grand Maison Tokyo live-action drama), Ryou Shinoda (Ore Monogatari!! live-action film), and Yuu Aoki (Sengoku Chaahan TV variety program) are serving as voice actors in the new season.

The new season also casts actress Mika Hijii (G-9), stage actress Yuka Adachi (Iryuu: Team Medical Dragon 4 live-action drama), and singer Tsubasa Kizu (Ojisan wa Kawaii Mono ga Osuki live-action drama).

3DCG production company ILCA is credited as the director and animation studio for the eighth season, with production cooperation by Toho Interactive Animation (TIA) and DRAWIZ. Yoroshi Aka, Yukio Kanesada, and Saya Kanamura are returning as key animators from the latest season. Asano Tsubo (Ninja Collection) and illustrator Shouma Mutou are joining the staff as new key animators.

Hiromu Kumamoto is returning to write the script from the previous installments. Theatre director Mitsuhiro Sasaki (Ghost Scout live-action film), novice playwright Saki Kuniyoshi (Okaa-san wa Musume ni Naritai original drama), novelist Kanako Ishigami (Oretachi wa Abunakunai: Cool ni Saboru Keiji-tachi live-action drama), and screenwriter Norikatsu Kodama (Tiger & Bunny script) are joining Kumamoto as scriptwriters.

TV Tokyo and ILCA producers Norio Yamakawa (Aiura) and Takuya Iwasaki (Kowabon) are once again credited as series planner. Satoshi Umetsu (Wakaokami wa Shougakusei!) and Akira Funada (Sekai no Yami Zukan) are also returning as producers.

"Twilight feat.Pecori" by imai, composer of the now-disbanded electronic hip-hop duo group_inou, will be used as the ending theme.

The first Yami Shibai anime season aired in Summer 2013 and the seventh and latest season premiered in Summer 2019, with each season focusing on a specific theme. Crunchyroll streamed the seasons with subtitles as they aired in Japan. Sentai Filmworks licensed the first two seasons in December 2015 and released them on home video in April 2016.

Official site: https://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/anime/yamishibai8/

Source: PR Times

Yami Shibai 8 on MAL
Modified by Vindstot, Dec 23, 2020 10:52 PM

Nov 27, 2020 5:38 PM

So Ninja Collection wasn't the last one.

Nov 27, 2020 5:40 PM

the last one was horse shit, hoping this season would at least closer to season 5

Nov 27, 2020 5:42 PM

The ride never ends, I should probably check more of those later seasons.

Nov 27, 2020 6:05 PM

At this rate, it won't be long before the show catches up with the mighty Teekyuu

Nov 27, 2020 6:06 PM

Thank goodness Ninja Collection wasn't the direction the series was taking. As bad as some of the decisions were in some of the other seasons (looking at you season 4), I still always look forward to and enjoy these. Hopefully this feels more like the first 3 seasons, but I'll be watching regardless.

Nov 27, 2020 10:43 PM

This shit ain't ever ending XD

Nov 27, 2020 10:44 PM

wow it's actually a short series
almost prepared myself to watch 8x12 episodes

Nov 28, 2020 12:43 AM

The novelty wore off in part 1 and each new part sucks more than the previous one. Yay!
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST

Nov 28, 2020 12:49 AM

Why are they making another season of this

Nov 28, 2020 3:19 AM

They won't be able to top the plottwist of season 3 but at least the series has some really good ending music.
".......You were to write a story with me in the lead role it would certainly be...a tragedy."
-Kaneki Ken

Nov 28, 2020 3:34 AM

Yooo there's no stopping the horror train.

Looking forward to the new season ofc.

Nov 28, 2020 6:07 AM

If this ends up getting more seasons than Teekyu than this industry is truly done for.

Nov 28, 2020 7:01 AM

nothing new at this point but will probably still watch this

"When the time is yours,
the future is waiting,
The person you become,
and the people you're creating.
"

Nov 28, 2020 7:31 AM

The first season was very good and I really enjoyed that one

But sens then it sadly have gone downhill .Hopefully it will redeem itself

Modified by Yuri-Crusader, Nov 28, 2020 7:35 AM

Nov 28, 2020 7:42 AM
Let's make it to 666 seasons XD

Nov 28, 2020 7:58 AM
Nice, glad to see them abandoning the utter crap concept that was ninja stories (or whatever its name was) and go back to better crap. So long as I hear "yami shibai no jikan da yo" I'm fine with it.

Dec 2, 2020 1:21 PM

It's always a pleasure into having a new Yami Shibai season. Hopefully the 8th season will be even better ^^