Forum Settings
Forums

Is 150 completed animes considered a newbie?

New
Oct 19, 2020 12:18 PM
Aug 2020
Hm... Please also judge my rank in anime and let me know for how many years you think I've been watching anime.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 19, 2020 12:19 PM

Jul 2007
yeah. you gotta at least watch 1000 or your opinion means fuckall.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Oct 19, 2020 12:20 PM

Jul 2020
No but if you rate mha above a 5 your a "newbie"

Oct 19, 2020 12:23 PM

Aug 2012
Yeah man, those are rookie numbers.
Oct 19, 2020 12:23 PM

Dec 2014
I would consider you quite new to anime I would guess you may have been watching for around a year perhaps. Thousands and thousands anime are available I would say you have to reach around 100 days on MAL to not be considered a newbie.
Oct 19, 2020 12:24 PM
Jul 2018
Watch the days not the completed. If yo don't go at least 100 days then I'm sorry to tell you...
Oct 19, 2020 12:25 PM

Nov 2018
Does it even matter? There's no such thing as 'rank' in watching anime lmao. This site was made for anime fans so that they can discover animes/mangas and to share their thoughts about it with each other. It's not for compitetive purposes.
Oct 19, 2020 12:35 PM

Nov 2018
no i dont think so but you're intermediate
at this moment you should go around and watch the more respected and underrated animes... and stop thinking the trashy shounens are the best anime made ever

offcourse this is my opinion but yeah
ur not noob, i would say...
look at it as if you've been playing a game

is 1000 hours a lot? if you play that much, what rank are you in games
if you look at the stats of mal, how many ppl have a higher watchtime than yours...

i think its pretty obvious once you do some research
Oct 19, 2020 12:37 PM
Jun 2020
You're considered a newbie when you skip gems like Nami or Shitcom.
Oct 19, 2020 12:38 PM

Jan 2015
Na7 said:
Watch the days not the completed. If yo don't go at least 100 days then I'm sorry to tell you...

Isn't the days completed based off days you add anime to the list? For example, I didn't create a myanimelist account the day I started watching anime haha
その目だれの目?
Oct 19, 2020 12:40 PM

Jun 2015
limitbreakcake said:
Na7 said:

Isn't the days completed based off days you add anime to the list? For example, I didn't create a myanimelist account the day I started watching anime haha
No it's literally the "Duration" that appears in every entry * the amount of episodes and the rewatches if you use that feature.
Oct 19, 2020 12:41 PM

Jun 2016
There isn't any official standard so I'm a newbie too.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Oct 19, 2020 12:42 PM

Mar 2020
Yes, you are a newbie, Absolute Duo 9/10, Arifureta 9/10, Choyoyo 10/10, Death March 10/10, DanMachi 10/10, Phone Isekai 10/10, Magi’s Grandson 10/10.

(P.S. the episode count is what matters more)
Tendo_GMOct 28, 2020 10:49 PM
Oct 19, 2020 12:42 PM

Jan 2015
Unowen said:
limitbreakcake said:

No it's literally the "Duration" that appears in every entry * the amount of episodes and the rewatches if you use that feature.

Oh wow. I somehow never knew this lol. thanks for telling me
その目だれの目?
Oct 19, 2020 12:44 PM

Dec 2016
Days stat is more important.

You can easily and quickly get to 300+ completed.... if you only watch short stuff. But the days stat... that one never lies.
Oct 19, 2020 12:46 PM

Jan 2020
Just rate the popular shounens a 1 and the obscure phycological anime a 10 and you can pass as a veteran.
I don't speak English that much, so please cut me some slack
Oct 19, 2020 12:46 PM
Jul 2020
Absolutely not. 150 anime is a lot lol.
Oct 19, 2020 12:47 PM

Jun 2012
Being new isn't your problem. You've seen like 1 classic Anime, and everything on your list is a casual pick of the season. Try developing your interests maybe.
Oct 19, 2020 12:49 PM
Grave of Flowers

Dec 2012
I used to think I was a casual when I still had 400 completed. It depends on how your tastes and knowledge of the fandom grows, I guess
┍━━━━»•» «•«━━━━┑

🎖️ mal badges
🏠 blog navigation
🏆 graph badges

┕━━━━»•» ☠️ «•«━━━━┙
Oct 19, 2020 12:49 PM

Nov 2016
When I created my account I had 137 completed and before that I already considered myself a hardcore fan.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 19, 2020 12:58 PM

Mar 2014
Why should # = status?

Are you asking what % of a person's entries make them valid as an anime fan? Are you asking for credibility? There's a lot of MAL users here with only 20 watched entries and they have banger reviews!

Oct 19, 2020 1:11 PM

Nov 2008
The reason I'll never have a big number is because I prefer rewatching. For example, yesterday I watched Mononoke-hime for the seventh time. I've already seen most of the anime I would really like, except for a few that would require big time commitments.

Oct 19, 2020 2:55 PM

Sep 2020
Is there any need to care for labels? Will there be a reward waiting once you're a "pro" anime fan?

AnimeFanTalk said:
Why should # = status?

Are you asking what % of a person's entries make them valid as an anime fan? Are you asking for credibility? There's a lot of MAL users here with only 20 watched entries and they have banger reviews!

Well put

If you're having crippling depression, hopefully our videos will send you to another world and have you reborn as an isekai protagonist
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc8rSgYdcdZUSXXqVJhNwLw
Oct 19, 2020 3:24 PM

May 2018
" Is 150 completed animes considered a newbie?"

Nope. It's the number of waifus in your 2D harem that counts.
Oct 19, 2020 3:26 PM
takodachi

Jan 2020
idk what you mean by newbie but anyone under 50 days is pretty much a casual watcher. get to 100 days and you'll finally be in the big leagues.

also like what most people said, completed anime doesn't matter. anyone can inflate that with ovas, onas, and specials.

𝒫𝑜𝓅 𝒶 𝓅𝒾𝓁𝓁 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝑔𝑒𝓉 𝒾𝓂𝓂𝑜𝓇𝓉𝒶𝓁𝒾𝓏𝑒𝒹
𝒯𝒽𝑜𝓊𝑔𝒽𝓉 𝓅𝓇𝑜𝒸𝑒𝓈𝓈 𝑜𝓋𝑒𝓇𝓇𝒾𝒹𝑒
𝒫𝓊𝓇𝒾𝒻𝓎 𝓂𝓎 𝓅𝑜𝒾𝓈𝑜𝓃𝑒𝒹 𝓂𝒾𝓃𝒹

Oct 19, 2020 3:45 PM

Aug 2020
I dont like labeling someone as a “newbie” based on how many animes they’ve watched. Not only does it literally not matter, but some people need to understand not everyone has the time to watch anime every waking moment. For example, I started watching anime back in 2013/2014 but I haven’t even completed 100 animes yet. This in no way makes me a “newbie” to anime, I just don’t have a bunch of time to watch anime and I also took a break for about 2 years. I find it kinda odd that people even label themselves as things on this website as anime is for enjoyment and nobody should be viewed as more or less than just because they have watched more or less animes than someone else. just have fun
Oct 19, 2020 3:46 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Yes, you've barely dipped your toes into the medium. Now, call me senpai.
Oct 19, 2020 3:50 PM

Sep 2019
TheNamelessGuy said:
Does it even matter? There's no such thing as 'rank' in watching anime lmao. This site was made for anime fans so that they can discover animes/mangas and to share their thoughts about it with each other. It's not for compitetive purposes.

Exactly. Can't we discuss a form of entertainment we love without making it a competition or to the point it's a chore for others? Just enjoy what you like to watch, no need to worry about how much anime you watched.
"I suffered all my life. No one ever truly loved me. No one ever truly cared about me. I only loved one thing in my whole life and that was Christina Menefee. But she was torn away from me. I tried to save myself with [student’s name], but she never cared for me. As it turns out, she made fun of me behind my back while we were together. And all throughout my life I was ridiculed. Always beaten, always hated. [...] I am malicious because I am miserable."

"It was not a cry for attention, it was not a cry for help. It was a scream in sheer agony [...]"
-Luke Woodham

Oct 19, 2020 4:56 PM
Aug 2020
Theo1899 said:
There isn't any official standard so I'm a newbie too.

Yeah I guess so, but jesus, you have so many animes completed. I would consider you a veteran lol
Oct 19, 2020 5:02 PM

Mar 2020
Hmmmmmm...Compared to me no you're not XD
Oct 19, 2020 5:02 PM

Jun 2020
Doesn't really matter, to be honest. I think it's based on perception. I used to think DanMachi was fucking good and now I think it's utter trash. The same goes with DITF LOL
Oct 19, 2020 8:02 PM

Dec 2014
Lol, ignore peoples here... no, you are not. If you had read 139 books you would be an intellectual - if they were history books, or anything but pointless literature, you would be a scholar... if you watched 139 documentaries, you would get quite a lot of general knowledge... investing nearly 900 hours in something, would never make you a newbie. Is pretty much impossible to decide when someone stops being a newbie when he watches anime, because watching anime is not a skill, nor a job, so you can put measurement to it - you don't get better at watching anime, nor worse, and you don't gain much experience either, because let's be real... you most likely forgot what 100 of the anime you watched were really about. Peoples here try to make anime into something far more serious than it is... Is more about how much time you spent as a fine... of course, when you just start, yeah, you are a newbie, but once you watch a couple and spend some time in the community, you are no longer one. You could be considered a newbie for the first month or year... but is really arbitrary. I see here numbers like 400 ... like dude, I've been an otaku for like 14 years, and I am still to reach 400 - looking at how much anime I finish those days, I feel that maybe in 10 years I will get there XD, especially now that I am in the Hololive rabbit hole XDDDD - in my case I rewatched a lot of anime I completed over years, including big ones like Naruto and Fairy Tail, so my numbers are much higher, but I know peoples who watched more than me in 2 years or so... So, numbers are not all that important.Time is, and it doesn't take long to stop being new to anime. For God’s sake, you spent 37 days watching anime.
Oct 19, 2020 8:06 PM

Jul 2020
20m said:

True lol I have rated mha above 7 which means that I haven't completed watching that many generic shounen battle anime which also means that I am a newbie.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Oct 19, 2020 8:11 PM

Oct 2014
You need at least twice as many anime as you've currently seen before you can even begin to have your opinion even slightly recognized.
Oct 19, 2020 8:20 PM

Feb 2015
That's a lot of anime. I dont know what's the obsession with not being a newbie or being a newbie tho.
Oct 19, 2020 8:21 PM

Jul 2012
Pretty low level especially since you're using completed as a metric. To further dive into your list about 60 of those entries are OVAs, specials or movies and you occasionally have a tendency to watch shorter length anime (Ie. episodes under 10 minute duration per episode).

As mentioned 100 days is probably a better metric for having average anime experience.

newazurill said:

Ferien said:
Days stat is more important.

You can easily and quickly get to 300+ completed.... if you only watch short stuff. But the days stat... that one never lies.

But that favors longrunning shounen. Someone could just watch 900 episodes of One Piece and get the same watch time as someone who watched 37 shows with 24 episodes each, even though the one that watched 37 anime would have a bigger perspective of anime in general. Days stat can also be manipulated by rewatches.

Both metrics can favor long anime. To use One Piece as an example if a person watched every movie, special, OVA etc. that were a part of the One Piece franchise and translated they would have about 44 completed entries. With that in mind though you could boost your stats more with the 37 shows at 24 episodes if we're using completion because we can reasonably assume all of the 37 shows will likely have at least 1 recap episode, other special or OVA so you could easily double the count to 74 entries by watching often at most 1 extra episode.

But if somebody is genuinely focusing on stat boosting then obviously they'd never use shows with 24 episodes because often a 13 episode series will have a special and an OVA so they get 3 completion entries for about 16 episodes worth of time. That's obviously excluding even shorter entries (standalone specials, OVAs or even movies) or anime with short durations (Ie. 2-6 minutes per episode). Inherently though completed entries is an easier metric to boost without straight up lying on your list.
GamerDLMOct 19, 2020 9:28 PM
Oct 19, 2020 8:24 PM

Jan 2019
I’d say once you hit 50-100 series is when you’re no longer a “newbie”, although it might be different depending on the person. I’ve seen around 90ish series and I feel like I’m finally catching up with the crowd. I also try to split my series’ between seasonals and older classics, that way I can keep up with the newer trends and continue to gain more knowledge about the popular oldies.

Also, you have great tastes in my opinion; finally, someone who rates both SAO and Darling in The Franxx at a 10. Although, I took a look at your dropped list, and I would highly recommend that you give Bofuri and That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime another try - I think both of them are really good! :)
Oct 19, 2020 10:27 PM

Nov 2016
newazurill said:
FMmatron said:
When I created my account I had 137 completed and before that I already considered myself a hardcore fan.

Hold up, that means you've watched about 1400 anime in four years. That's nearly an anime a day. How do you even manage?

Back then I was still young, fresh and full of energy..

JK, I dunno. I completed a lot of seasonal anime, which would make 5-9 or even more episodes on a packed day and when I had days off or holidays I went on big binges.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 19, 2020 10:31 PM
May 2020
Sometimes people judge you a newbie because you haven't watch particular series. For example, my friend gave me a joke about Re:zero. That time i haven't watch it yet, and he laughs at my dumbness.

So i guess no matter how many anime you watch, if you watch only unpopular shows, you are most likely will be dissed. Watch mainstream anime isn't bad thing, keep up recent things and memes and you can laugh with it. Most anime meme joking about mainstream anime.
Oct 19, 2020 10:33 PM
Jul 2018
If you're worried about being a noob or not, you're a noob.
Oct 19, 2020 10:34 PM
May 2020
newazurill said:

Hold up, that means you've watched about 1400 anime in four years. That's nearly an anime a day. How do you even manage?

Some OVA and Movies counts as one per each, right?
Oct 19, 2020 10:40 PM

Jun 2019
It may depend as well on whether you're counting just all officially "Completed" anime equally and indiscriminately with no distinction or whether you specify actual different series watched (to the level of series completion or at least one or multiple seasons).

As in, I have 227 "Completed" anime if all entries are counted as equal but then maintain a separate count where I only include distinct series, so deliberately exclude:

- Films
- Multiple seasons of the same series
- Bonus content and episodes distinguished from the main series' run and archived on separate webpages as "specials" whether they aired on TV or as OVAs or ONAs

Once you remove that it can potentially drastically alter the picture, since without I have only 113 distinct completed series (or in some cases only one full season for a series if I've paused or dropped them for the foreseeable future and chosen not to continue, or if they're actively ongoing series with more seasons expected which haven't aired yet).

And personally I still feel like a newbie of sorts even after 100+ series and having started four years ago and really more hardcore into it from last year on. A part of me feels like I'll eternally be a newbie until I see some of the oft-mentioned classic series. But then, I realize that goal may be illusory since a lot are the big name battle shounen I'm not necessarily interested in ever watching.

So it's a weird position where maybe if you haven't seen 9 out of the 10 most popular/classic/legendary series that you still feel like you're at cross-purposes positioned with one foot in and one foot out.
Oct 19, 2020 10:49 PM
Jul 2018
Regarding current decade at least, you are an anime expert while I am a newbie
Oct 19, 2020 10:50 PM

Apr 2019
MY GOD. Some people here just like to shit on others based on their watch times, scores, and anime watched, just ignore them?

Also, usage of hierarchical rankings like 'newbie', 'big leaguer', etc is just upfront PP measuring I guess? FFS, anime is a pretty fine community, just watch anime, discuss if you want to and enjoy the experience while it lasts.

I was rushing desperately, trying to reach the light. When I thought I did, I reached a dead end instead. Then I decided I wanted to enter that light. And at the edge of it, I found you.
Oct 20, 2020 2:37 AM

Jul 2020
Scordolo said:
20m said:

True lol I have rated mha above 7 which means that I haven't completed watching that many generic shounen battle anime which also means that I am a newbie.
Oh see guys he gets it

/////////////////////////

Oct 20, 2020 2:41 AM
Mar 2020
not also because it's depends on what series that you are watching and how mature you value the series that you are watching. Some may say sao is worst and some say oppositely.
Oct 20, 2020 2:57 AM
Jul 2018
number of anime titles don't mean a thing , if you really have to compare , use number of days . Also why do you want so much validation from others ?
Oct 20, 2020 3:00 AM
Aug 2020
Curiosity of course, its a fun topic to discuss. Yeah number of days is the best way to compare.
Oct 20, 2020 3:07 AM

Jun 2015
It's already a fair amount but my perception of it (and any number or list) mainly depends on what the 150 entries are comprised of.

The more eclectic, genre and decade encompassing it is, the less of a "newbie" you are in my eyes.
Oct 20, 2020 3:10 AM

Jul 2020
I have completed 34 titles today and I can tell you that you are still a newbie.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» What exactly are the perks of having waifu?

SgtBateMan - Today

34 by Dumb »»
1 minute ago

» Are Risqué Anime Bad for the Industry?

Dragevard - 4 hours ago

15 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
3 minutes ago

» Do you watch anime on Funimation???

DesuMaiden - 6 hours ago

18 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
6 minutes ago

» What Will It Take for You to Quit Anime? ( 1 2 )

Dragevard - Yesterday

64 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
12 minutes ago

» when introducing yourself to someone new how likely is "I watch anime" to get them interested in you?

Coldsp33d - Today

27 by Alpha-Nine »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.