Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Wandering Witch: The Journey of Elaina (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Oct 4, 2020 9:49 AM
Jun 2015
Very good start, but I was afraid that the FBI would arrest me anytime :) looking forward to the time jump.
Oct 4, 2020 10:02 AM

Mar 2019
I am loving it . It feels cheerful watching it . Looking forward to Elinas adventure

Oct 4, 2020 11:44 AM
Aug 2017
The "way" of teaching Elaina about her own flaws is just horrible, which is concerning as it normalizes "tough love" when in fact it could have been settled in a less traumatizing way. It's the same as teaching your children not to talk to strangers by hiring a group of strangers to act out a kidnapping on them. It's just horrible, and she's still 14. Viewers would probably pick up on this, but at the same time I'm concerned that viewers might think this is normal.
Episode 1 feels rushed, as Elaina's flaws of being too much of a hard worker is not that fleshed out as they try to fit the moral lesson in just an episode. Being a pushover as she's incapable of rebelling could have been a strong character flaw that would have been nice to tackle in the future episodes instead of being spoonfed of it in episode 1. Also, world building and magic mechanics (though optional to introduce since it's still episode 1) is generic, which I could feel the reason why they didn't focus on it on episode 1. They should've shown how the world works first for the first episode to set the mood, in my opinion. The synopsis literally promises exploration, and captivating the audience at the very first episode should be the main priority. This episode might lose the series some viewers.
However, I am still giving this series a chance. I can sense good intentions in the first episode, but the delivery is not well done. I hope that they'll tackle Elaina's flaws more in the future episodes instead of it being just "magically" solved by just a piece of dialogue which is what I am expecting from this series as it gives off "Violet Evergarden" vibes of travelling and improvement as the journey goes. The art is lovely, and the soundtrack too! The voices are nice!
Curly_Clothes123Oct 4, 2020 11:53 AM
"What you do in this world is a matter of no consequence," returned my companion, bitterly. "The question is, what can you make people believe that you have done."
~ A Study in Scarlet
Oct 4, 2020 11:58 AM

Aug 2018
Sound effects were impressively pleasing to me. Perhaps it went a bit too fast but I also understand the prologue should be completed at the end of the first episode.

This show caught my curiosity at least
Oct 4, 2020 12:13 PM

Jun 2013
That was nice and wholesome. The animation is top tier
Oct 4, 2020 12:20 PM

Jan 2011
Simply amazed about how interesting this season is starting. It´s been a few years since I felt like this.
Also this anime, is one of those, very good I have good hopes for it.
Oct 4, 2020 12:27 PM

Apr 2017
Curly_Clothes123 said:
The "way" of teaching Elaina about her own flaws is just horrible, which is concerning as it normalizes "tough love" when in fact it could have been settled in a less traumatizing way. It's the same as teaching your children not to talk to strangers by hiring a group of strangers to act out a kidnapping on them. It's just horrible, and she's still 14. Viewers would probably pick up on this, but at the same time I'm concerned that viewers might think this is normal.
Episode 1 feels rushed, as Elaina's flaws of being too much of a hard worker is not that fleshed out as they try to fit the moral lesson in just an episode. Being a pushover as she's incapable of rebelling could have been a strong character flaw that would have been nice to tackle in the future episodes instead of being spoonfed of it in episode 1. Also, world building and magic mechanics (though optional to introduce since it's still episode 1) is generic, which I could feel the reason why they didn't focus on it on episode 1. They should've shown how the world works first for the first episode to set the mood, in my opinion. The synopsis literally promises exploration, and captivating the audience at the very first episode should be the main priority. This episode might lose the series some viewers.
However, I am still giving this series a chance. I can sense good intentions in the first episode, but the delivery is not well done. I hope that they'll tackle Elaina's flaws more in the future episodes instead of it being just "magically" solved by just a piece of dialogue which is what I am expecting from this series as it gives off "Violet Evergarden" vibes of travelling and improvement as the journey goes. The art is lovely, and the soundtrack too! The voices are nice!

That sure is a lot of complaining for only ~20 minutes of story.

Flan saw that Elaina thought very highly of herself, so she took her down a peg. Elaina's own mother told her to be humble and not think herself as above others. Flan also hoped to teach her that she shouldn't just listen to people's demands if they're unreasonable, even if they're in a position of authority. If she had just told Elaina: "be assertive, stand up for yourself", it wouldn't have been as effective. Also, having her do some chores is hardly bullying, and Elaina was still learning on her own during this; as far as we see, Flan only ramped up the poutiness before the duel. The apprenticeship didn't teach Elaina ONLY magic.

You forget that Elaina's training takes place during 1 year, it's not sudden development. Their duel takes place a few months into that period, I believe, after which Flan trains her properly. There's not really much to "flesh out" about Elaina's old personality; she was a prodigy, slightly arrogant about it, and this reputation preceded her (as Flan says, for good and bad).

We've already seen different types of magic: the witch closing her window with magic, Flan making stars dance to cheer Elaina up, her and Elaina making various potions, the duel.

Personally, I think this was a very well done first episode / prologue with the way they showed Elaina's progress and motivation, instead of having an infodump describe everything. It certainly hasn't lost me.
Oct 4, 2020 12:34 PM

Oct 2018
This was an amazing first episode!

I'm gonna enjoy this a lot, I can tell.

Oh and can we just appreciate how good it looks?
Especially the animation during the fight. It was better than many action anime out there
Oct 4, 2020 1:24 PM

Jan 2008
This was quite a surprise. Honestly was not expecting it to be that good but it sure proved me wrong. Hoping future action scenes are also up to par to what we saw this episode.
Oct 4, 2020 1:56 PM

Feb 2017
I really love the atmosphere in episode 1 and especially the combat animation and sound, exactly my style and also a kind I rarely see in anime.
Oct 4, 2020 3:24 PM

Mar 2010
Excellent first episode, it felt like a well made movie that had a start to finish, honestly it could stop here lol but yeah can't wait for more.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Oct 4, 2020 3:48 PM

Jul 2020
Nice start, love how Elaina showed her feelings from the very start, seems to be the typical cute girl, which I of course like. The story seems promising, and Flan was incredible. Also I felt this chapter closed down perfectly the first story, like if this was a completely separated one. Nice effect in there. 5/5 first chapter, solid and well narrated
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Check my latest web novel on Our Greatest Comeback🦊⛩️ and please drop a like or comment if you liked it!
Oct 4, 2020 6:13 PM

Dec 2015
is it flan or fran? very important question as you can see

also at the start she was 14 but after the year long training shes 18? what
FranOct 4, 2020 7:56 PM
Oct 4, 2020 7:42 PM

May 2020
Based on how it's set up, it gives off heavy Violet Evergarden vibes. I have a feeling the mc will change the lives of the people she meets on her journeys similar to violet. This is the anime I'm most exited for behind attack on titan.
Oct 4, 2020 8:06 PM

Jan 2011
had zero expectations going in , was like not another one of these kind of characters at the start but then she got knocked down a peg which i was glad it happened sooner than later because i don't know if i wanted to watch a overly confident brat for half a season granted all this happened over 4 years lol talk about a quick timeskip i ant complaining though wish she looked like she actually aged a bit more though.

will say on the watch, hopefully they do some worldbuilding next week i dont even know what role wtiches play in this world but the magic while well animated seem far more aggressive for a typical SoL
Oct 4, 2020 8:09 PM
Jul 2018
Fran said:

Correct is "Flan".
Her 14 training was depicting until very last scene. After this, she said "I became 18". I hope these answer become your help.
Oct 4, 2020 8:26 PM

Jan 2014
I love witches so much and knew I was going to love this. I'm so glad it didn't disappoint! Elaina is adorable and I'm looking forward to seeing her journey!!
Oct 4, 2020 9:00 PM

Dec 2015
Xnovazero said:
Fran said:

Correct is "Flan".
Her 14 training was depicting until very last scene. After this, she said "I became 18". I hope these answer become your help.

so her training lasted for 4 years?
Oct 4, 2020 9:13 PM
Mar 2018
White_Hollow said:
This is better than i ever expected it to be. I was kinda worried that the anime might be different from the ln but nope. It's all good i guess. Also, it's great to see Elaina's father in the anime. They never actually showed his face in the ln. And it's hillarious to see him crying when Elaina went on her journey xD

Totally my favourite from this season. A great introduction to Elaina's journey!

Same Bud, I'm also worried about the anime ruining the Light Novel but I'm glad I think it turned out well
Oct 4, 2020 9:37 PM

Feb 2015
What a beautiful first episode :)
Visually stunning and very relaxing, just what I need right now haha.
I'm also glad they humbled Elaina this soon, her high and mighty attitude was kinda distracting.
There's no possible way you can steal my heart

I want to drown in this sweet Melancholy
Oct 4, 2020 10:50 PM

Oct 2020
Such a great start. Beautiful art and the pretty girl who has a dream attract me.It seems promising. Looking forward to the following plot.
[/url]
Oct 5, 2020 12:03 AM
Dec 2019
A fun and action packed first episode. I had my doubts about Fran at the start but that was expected. But turns out she is a kind person, and Elaina has learned so much from her.
Oct 5, 2020 3:28 AM
Jul 2018
Fran said:
Xnovazero said:

Correct is "Flan".

No. Her training was ended when she was 14. After this, she began adventure.
Oct 5, 2020 3:33 AM
Aug 2020
Speed running the training and exam lol. And they are throwing magic beam and stuff out of nowhere, how would you know if it is high end magic or basic and if Flan really intended to show the difference between her and Elaina. While she bursted out crying to show us she's really "determined". Did her family really want to break the part her becoming a witch? Can't they talk or show us how was Elaina really determined to walk the path of becoming a witch? Also about Witch Flan, how could her parents think that Elaina would approach her, did they paid her after she was accepted as a apprentice or before she was accepted?
Oct 5, 2020 3:44 AM
Jul 2018
I really like this one, the graphics are good to the point of spoiling my eyes, I also like it because the voice of Flan teacher is Kana Hanazawa but it was only for a moment. I'm waiting for the next episode.
Oct 5, 2020 3:47 AM

Oct 2017
That feel when she didn't change at all even after four years...
Oct 5, 2020 5:28 AM

Jan 2020
I expected it to be a CGDCT, but looks like I was wrong. I think it will take on some heavy aspects later on.

It was an average first episode to be honest, but the show definitely has the potential to be something a lot better.

Elaina looks really cute by the way.
Oct 5, 2020 6:54 AM

Dec 2010
Was I the only one who actually teared up during that battle?
I mean who wouldn't if Kana-chan made you cry and she's consoling you for it...

Just when I thought I could hear my regular dose of Kana-chan, she disappears... =((((

Also, that Shizuka Itou as mom.... I wanna hear more!!!!!
booyah10Oct 5, 2020 6:57 AM
Oct 5, 2020 12:24 PM
Nov 2019
Good episode, animation OK,Visual OK,the scenario is beautifull!! and good characters, and makes me want to see more *_* love it
Oct 5, 2020 2:27 PM
Jan 2019
I loved the first episode. The MC is adorable, but her training felt way to short and rushed.

How can someone not like Mushrooms? Maybe the texture, but it looked like she doesn't like the flavour.

Oct 5, 2020 2:50 PM

Aug 2011
Crying dad is best dad ;___;

Gambare Elaina~

» Escapism.

Oct 5, 2020 6:10 PM
Nov 2019
For a first episode, it's really solid. I'm already sold on the show.
Oct 5, 2020 8:27 PM

Aug 2016
Good start. I expected some "wax on/ wax off" shenanigans but got the light version of Molly Weasley vs Beatrix. No one died, but Eliana lost badly. I really like Fran's fight test and the talk afterward. It made the episode 5/5.

After Fran's good-bye I'm starting to to think Fran is from a different time.
D_GeekGirlOct 6, 2020 8:57 AM
Oct 5, 2020 9:08 PM

Jul 2008
I really want to like this one, but I thought it was way more boring than I expected it would be.

I am really curious to see where this can go, though. This episode basically timeskipped through 3 years. It felt more like an OVA or mini-movie than a first episode of a show. I still have no idea what the actual plot for the season will be.
Gar_LoganOct 5, 2020 9:27 PM
Oct 5, 2020 11:22 PM

Jan 2020
Great 1st episode. Damn, this show wasn’t even on my radar before the season started. Glad I checked it out.
Oct 6, 2020 2:36 AM

Mar 2009
One of the best so far this season. The parents suck though
Oct 6, 2020 4:06 AM
Oct 2018
Perfect! Best episode 1 anime in this season.

Story premise are simple, but story pace & build up are perfect. Honestly, I really dont like how nowday anime build up its story. Maou gakuin is most famous example how terrible story build up in nowday anime. Fortunatelly, this anime brings me hope that good story pace & build up anime still exist.

Art & animation unexpectedly amazing, better than jjk in my opinion. Overall, I like this anime more than other hyped anime in this season.
Oct 6, 2020 4:19 AM

Jun 2019
Wow, what a first episode. I loved everything about it, the character design and mannerism, the ye olde world setting, but with beautiful intricate design and care taken with each place we saw (the family cottage, the witches tree house and the village were exquisite) .

We got a good introduction to Elaina and her character, determined and hard working, but with a grounded attitude and just a hint of flare ("who's the beautiful witch flying through the stark mountains..it's me").

I was so excited about this show before it aired and am even more so now. Just hope the rest of the season pans out like this first episode! If so it truly will deserve the title masterpiece.
23feanorOct 6, 2020 4:24 AM
Oct 6, 2020 4:24 AM
Jun 2011
Xnovazero said:
Fran said:

Not quite. She finished studying and passed her exam at age 14. Then she trained under Flan for one year, and started her journey after that, at age 15. We then got a timeskip to three years into her journey, so she's now 18.

Speaking of, I was really surprised when they lead into her scene with her saying she's now 18, and then when they actually revealed her she looks... exactly the same as she did at 14? It's not like 18+ year olds looking like children is anything new in anime, but when there's such a significant timeskip and we get that audio only lead-in as if it's gonna be a big reveal of how she looks now (both between being older and having journeyed for a couple years), it feels weird.

Still, surprisingly emotional for a first episode! Almost felt like a complete story in itself, honestly. Strong all around, so hopefully the rest of the series won't disappoint.
Oct 6, 2020 5:42 AM
Jul 2018
nyahoarder said:
Xnovazero said:

Not quite. She finished studying and passed her exam at age 14. Then she trained under Flan for one year, and started her journey after that, at age 15. We then got a timeskip to three years into her journey, so she's now 18.

Speaking of, I was really surprised when they lead into her scene with her saying she's now 18, and then when they actually revealed her she looks... exactly the same as she did at 14? It's not like 18+ year olds looking like children is anything new in anime, but when there's such a significant timeskip and we get that audio only lead-in as if it's gonna be a big reveal of how she looks now (both between being older and having journeyed for a couple years), it feels weird.

Still, surprisingly emotional for a first episode! Almost felt like a complete story in itself, honestly. Strong all around, so hopefully the rest of the series won't disappoint.

Thanks for the information. I understand her background :D
Oct 6, 2020 8:05 AM

Feb 2016
Fran said:

Fran is valid too.
japanese/kana to english and vice versa translations ruin shit, so its really a question for the writer to admit what they should be called. Heck even Elaina name is in a way wrong, anyone reading japanese would expect her name to be Ireina depending on the way you read it, if it wasn't for the book cover. It all depends on what the writer intended. Fran/Furan is more valid in my opinion solely because I thats what I hear, and read and speak, and it should be for you too.

The part mentioning 18 years old, was her reflecting on the past since she left, so really the scene where you see her flying, she was probably thinking about the past and narrating the whole time.
RainbowsaurOct 6, 2020 8:15 AM
Oct 6, 2020 8:29 AM

Dec 2015
Rainbowsaur said:
Fran said:

Fran is valid too.
japanese/kana to english and vice versa translations ruin shit, so its really a question for the writer to admit what they should be called. Heck even Elaina name is in a way wrong, anyone reading japanese would expect her name to be Ireina depending on the way you read it, if it wasn't for the book cover. It all depends on what the writer intended. Fran/Furan is more valid in my opinion solely because I thats what I hear, and read and speak, and it should be for you too.

The part mentioning 18 years old, was her reflecting on the past since she left, so really the scene where you see her flying, she was probably thinking about the past and narrating the whole time.

ahh gotcha that makes sense
Oct 6, 2020 9:30 AM
Feb 2020
Annoying LN reader here. No spoiler. I am very surprised the anime started at this part. I honestly don't know if that is the best part to take off from... Could've saved this part for later maybe???? And as for the direction, I wasn't expecting to see shounen-esque battle scenes with electronic music. Now I am genuinely curious how will the rest of the season play out. Great first episode.

Also, there's a WHOLE BUNCH of genres missing on the page.

"That's right! She's me!"
kirbykatOct 6, 2020 9:47 AM
Oct 6, 2020 9:34 AM
Jun 2017
Really love this anime. cant wait for next episode
Oct 6, 2020 12:42 PM
Jul 2018
Turned out a nice episode. This is the only anime, I am really enjoying from this season. Adventure anime master race.
Oct 6, 2020 1:46 PM

Apr 2007
Sadly, I found that the dad ate in every scene except the last to be more amusing than anything else in this episode. A very average introduction, hopefully her journey will be more interesting :v
Oct 6, 2020 2:13 PM
Mar 2016
kirbykat said:
Annoying LN reader here. No spoiler. I am very surprised the anime started at this part. I honestly don't know if that is the best part to take off from... Could've saved this part for later maybe???? And as for the direction, I wasn't expecting to see shounen-esque battle scenes with electronic music. Now I am genuinely curious how will the rest of the season play out. Great first episode.

Also, there's a WHOLE BUNCH of genres missing on the page.

"That's right! She's me!"

"Well, that story has nothing to do with me"
I like those short sad stories where Elaina just leave and let a sad ending behind her
Tho the 1st ep was disappointing for me
Next episode is the Saya story, an average one I'm not excited but can't wait for 3rd ep probably the flower field story, it was a nice one
Oct 6, 2020 3:47 PM

Feb 2016
kirbykat said:
Annoying LN reader here. No spoiler. I am very surprised the anime started at this part. I honestly don't know if that is the best part to take off from... Could've saved this part for later maybe????

Seems they didn't want to just throw people in, and it works out well as a introduction to the tabi genre if you can call it that/that's a thing?. This is how I became a witch and now this is me narrating my past 3 years! Next episode is chapter 1 so maybe they'll protect the order from now on. I agree would be nicer to see this later but some people just can't live without context so this probably helps those viewers.
Oct 6, 2020 4:28 PM

Oct 2012
This was very interesting and self-contained story. First I thought it would run on usual cliches but its dialogues felt very human-like and emotions were well-done.

If this was a prologue, I really wonder what this show is like from episode 2 foward.

Also, her mother was that witch from the book, right? Kinda interesting but way too obvious, they could probably hint it during the end.
Mich666Oct 6, 2020 4:33 PM
Oct 6, 2020 7:20 PM
Mar 2012
Expected sol but got some intense moments.
wat 4 years in an episode already!? that's fast.
Unsure about mc's personality, but that weirdo witch Flan both annoying & funny. Interesting lesson on passive tolerance vs protesting, and builds on top of her family's original goal of teaching failure to a prodigy.
The trial had surprisingly great action, but the rest bit inconsistent animation, tho balanced with gorgeous food & bg. Dunno what to expect with a mixed bag start.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

» Does anyone know how long Elaina has been traveling and what age she started

Ninja_inslops - Nov 1, 2021

8 by Ranka-Nyan »»
Apr 19, 9:38 AM

Poll: » Majo no Tabitabi Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2020

243 by BlueBullet178 »»
Apr 12, 5:33 PM

Poll: » Majo no Tabitabi Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 4, 2020

129 by BlueBullet178 »»
Apr 11, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Majo no Tabitabi Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 13, 2020

173 by BlueBullet178 »»
Apr 9, 7:41 PM

Poll: » Majo no Tabitabi Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 11, 2020

132 by gannoncannon55 »»
Apr 3, 11:15 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.