Forum Settings
Forums

What anime has a very good start but a very bad end?

New
Sep 2, 2020 1:18 AM
Aug 2020
What anime has a very good start but a very bad end?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 2, 2020 1:25 AM
Jun 2020
Basically any 'read the manga' ending.
Sep 2, 2020 1:29 AM

May 2020
Death Note immediately comes to mind even though I still like the ending more than most. Noragami's second season started out really strong but ended just as below average as I felt it started in the first season.
Sep 2, 2020 1:30 AM

Dec 2014
Another and School live immediately come to mind.

Another and School live are having the same stupid ending.

You would feel that if MC take action in the first place, none of these stupid thing will happen.
Signature removed. Check your inbox
Sep 2, 2020 1:32 AM

Aug 2018
The recent anime which started off wonderfully but ended very badly is "Yesterday wo Utatte". People saw potential in the starting episodes but the absurd ending was a disappointment for many folks.
Sep 2, 2020 1:37 AM

Mar 2012
Unlimited Blade Works.

Intriguing start, okay in the middle, absolute mess second half/end. Shirou and Archer arguing and repeating the same nonsense pseudo philosophical shit towards the end of the season makes me want to vomit whenever I think about it. Gilgamesh didn't t deserve to be a part of this mess.
Sep 2, 2020 1:45 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Worst so far has to go to Babylon for me, but here are some other honorable mentions:

Yesterday wo Utatte
Psycho-Pass 2
Death Note
Darling in the FranXX
Sekaisuru Kado
Shironeko Project: Zero Chronicle
Bleach
Code Geass: Boukoku no Akito 5

Fairy Tail: Final Series was a bad final stretch of the series in entirety but the last couple of episodes were really good though. Shokugeki no Souma: Gou no Sora, Nanatsu no Taizai: Kamigami no Gekirin (most likely S4 too) and a few others are quite the downtrend as well.
_MushiRock11_Sep 2, 2020 2:20 AM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Sep 2, 2020 1:49 AM
Mar 2019
Death Note and Bleach had good episodes in beginning but it got bad.
King Game the Animation had good 1-2 episodes of beginning but then it got really bad.
Sep 2, 2020 2:02 AM

Oct 2017
StrawhatL said:
King Game the Animation had good 1-2 episodes of beginning but then it got really bad.

King's Game is shit from the very beginning.
Fight me.
Sep 2, 2020 2:03 AM

Oct 2019
Araburu Kitsetsu no Otome domo yo. This had a very excellent start, however the story was a complete mess towards the end. I also want to mention Hoshiai no Sora, because that anime went down hill with nonsense drama, and ended in a horrible way.
Sep 2, 2020 2:03 AM

Jun 2016
Gundam X.
The early cancellation really messed up the final story arc.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Sep 2, 2020 2:04 AM
Apr 2016
Seikaisuru Kado, had loads of potential but ultimately went down the cliche bad guy ending :c
Sep 2, 2020 2:05 AM

Aug 2019
Darling in the FranXX

The ending is quite laughable

Sep 2, 2020 2:07 AM
Oct 2015
Obvious answer but Death Note. If we can do series then Psycho Pass 1 and then basically everything after it.
Sep 2, 2020 2:08 AM

Oct 2019
Yukkicchi said:
Unlimited Blade Works.

Intriguing start, okay in the middle, absolute mess second half/end. Shirou and Archer arguing and repeating the same nonsense pseudo philosophical shit towards the end of the season makes me want to vomit whenever I think about it. Gilgamesh didn't t deserve to be a part of this mess.

Personal opinion but I think the anime was a perfect representation of good character development. Shirou as a character changes and is not static like a bunch of anime protagonist out there. As for the Gilgamesh fight scene, I quite enjoyed it.
Sep 2, 2020 2:41 AM

Feb 2020
Death Note
Cowboy Bebop
Dororo
Mushishi

They all left me more or less disappointed.
Sep 2, 2020 2:42 AM

Aug 2017
Bleach : Tite Kubo is great at making less and less sense with what he created.
5hadow17 said:
Darling in the FranXX

The ending is quite laughable

Saddly. But the first 2/3 of the show are great
Sep 2, 2020 2:49 AM

Mar 2016
Koi to Uso, I liked the concept and wanted the mc with the purple hair girl. But at the end he never chooses and it was so disappointing.

just wanna feel wanted by someone other than the police 😫
Sep 2, 2020 3:39 AM

Mar 2012
Aoi_Yozora said:
Personal opinion but I think the anime was a perfect representation of good character development. Shirou as a character changes and is not static like a bunch of anime protagonist out there. As for the Gilgamesh fight scene, I quite enjoyed it.

Really? To me he's the epitome of badly written, pretentious holier-than-thou protagonist. The whole "fake ideals" conflict felt forced to me and the him acting like his monologues actually mean something. Just useless empty words to make the viewer think he's actually saying something deep and smart when it's just pointless to begin with.

If you really think Emiya Shirou is the pinnacle of well-written anime protagonist, well then let's agree to disagree there.
Sep 2, 2020 3:41 AM

Aug 2017
Death note after
its never be the same for me. and the ending like a little bit forced

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
anime-primeSep 2, 2020 3:55 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 2, 2020 3:54 AM

Jun 2020
For me, it will always be DITF. What in the hell were they thinking when they turned Zero Two into a spaceship?
Sep 2, 2020 8:17 AM
Jul 2018
Death Notes strong first half keeps you on edge the whole duration but once it gets to the second half it does indeed lose it's appeal, it becomes repetive and tedious. It doesn't ever get bad in my opinion, people just exaggerate.
Sep 2, 2020 8:26 AM

Aug 2016
Death Note, though I think it's an overall good series, it's just the ending that shat the bed. If we're talking shows that started out good, then became shit and had an awful ending to top it all off, my pick would be Guilty Crown, the first episode got me hyped up for the rest of the series and it certainly didn't deliver...
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Sep 2, 2020 8:29 AM

Jul 2013
There is only one option, and that is Chaos;Head
Sep 2, 2020 8:36 AM

Jul 2015
Ventus_S said:
StrawhatL said:

King's Game is shit from the very beginning.
Fight me.
Why are you telling someone to fight you over stating a fact?
Sep 2, 2020 8:36 AM

Jul 2019
Gangsta, if we can even call that an ending. :p
Life is a despicable endurance race
Sep 2, 2020 8:38 AM
Nov 2018
Tokyo Ghoul... Though the good start could be arguable since the manga is still better
Sep 2, 2020 8:45 AM

Apr 2020
Trigger makes entertaining anime, but their endings are almost always bad.

Dororo ending (all the second half tbh)
Yesterday wo Utatte
Imagine how boring this world would be without Japan - a comment at youtube
Sep 2, 2020 8:46 AM

Apr 2020
Soul Eater...it had so much going for it, but that last episode was so bad.
Sep 2, 2020 8:53 AM

May 2020
death note was very good untli
after it it was not bad but not as good as it used to be and that final arc in bleach was unnecessary and Darling in the FRANXX everyone knows

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
anime-primeSep 2, 2020 3:54 PM
Sep 2, 2020 9:24 AM
Jul 2019
Inuyashiki, liked it pretty much throughout, but man that ending was so dumb and out of no where lol.
Sep 2, 2020 9:39 AM

Apr 2019
Probably Guilty Crown. That ending was both pure crap and good.
Sep 2, 2020 9:49 AM
Apr 2020
I haven't watched too many animes but as infront of me erased was really started to give me chills from starting, but as i proceeded the ending of erased really disappointed me. I don't mean that ending was that bad but it didn't had what it takes for an perfect anime ending. I just hope oregairu doesn't disappoint at the very end😌😌😌
Sep 2, 2020 10:15 AM
May 2019
Gangsta, and I thought megalo box had a pretty disappointing ending
Sep 2, 2020 10:17 AM

Oct 2013
wape said:
Basically any 'read the manga' ending.

That. I hate that kind of endings. There is a difference between a season's decent ending or a cliffhanger and your regular "hurr wanna see something better? go read the manga :DD" ...
Sep 2, 2020 10:19 AM

Jan 2019
Don't get why people keep bringing up Yesterday wo Utatte. I thought the ending was really strong.
"Whether you're sad, you're hurt, or empty, you have to keep playing."

Sep 2, 2020 10:29 AM

Nov 2016
Canaan it had good start but last episodes were definitely unwatchable (after "flower garden" arc). Don't remember details it was long time since I finished it but it was only anime that had tag good start+worst end.
But terrible end had also Akame ga Kill, Guilty Crown (these 2 mostly because of deaths that wasn't in the original source) and Mahou Sensou (this one because it ended totally unfinished with not explained anything).
hiraishinxSep 2, 2020 10:34 AM
Sep 2, 2020 10:31 AM

May 2015
Noir, I wouldn't say it has a 'very bad ending' but it was surely disappointing.
Erased.
Sep 2, 2020 10:38 AM

Aug 2018
For me, It was Dororo from Mappa. It started off very strong but progressively it felt like it was slowly falling apart. From a story standpoint, I liked it. But the Pacing felt so rushed, the animation felt a bit lacking in some episodes, Some story arcs were not that interesting and the ending was rushed and thrown out there.
It felt like it needed a bit more time because if I recall correctly, the first 6-7 episodes were extremely good. And then it started to deteriorate.

Why do you hate cats?

Sep 2, 2020 10:44 AM

Aug 2020
blue exorcist an amazing start but he most rushed and cmplicated ending of all time bruh
Sep 2, 2020 10:49 AM

Aug 2016
Dororo

It was a really cool and unique concept in the beginning. The first arc with Mio was and all those kids was well done... Then some uninteresting filler, followed by a VERY rushed ending. The climax happened in like 5 minutes in a burning building.. and that was it. Like what..?
Sep 2, 2020 8:03 PM

Jun 2020
Definitely ( Darling In The FranXX )
it starts off strong and then goes downhill around the last few episodes.
Sep 2, 2020 8:22 PM
Feb 2020
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann comes to my mind. Many people say it is really good... I really liked that anime but I have never been as disappointed with a final as in TTGL. I think it is an anime with a good development and amazing fights, but the main character passed from being a hero saving the universe and then, being forgotten and living as a homeless... and the most annoying character (for me) passed to be the "president" when he didn't make nothing of merit. For me, it's one of the worst ends I have ever seen.
Sep 2, 2020 8:34 PM

Jun 2019
Including some of those which are technically ongoing/unfinished/left on infuriating baiting "Go read the manga!" type endings:

Babylon
Another
Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne
Neon Genesis Evangelion (it's not so much the specific beats of the plot and what is shown which are faulty so much as the execution and how so much of the surface plot is not shown and effectively abandoned in the last third of the anime)
Spice and Wolf
Rurouni Kenshin
Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis
Umineko no Naku Koro ni
Karneval

I'm not including all those left on cliffhangers or still yet to be continued, since for some they don't damage the anime enough for me in my mind to view the whole thing as a serious downgrade to the show overall because they have enough going strong for them in the rest of the story and its execution.
Sep 2, 2020 10:16 PM

Jul 2017
There have been many. But some that come to my mind are
Darling in the Franxx
Guilty Crown
Babylon
Another
Charlotte
Death Note (Wasn't that disappointed. But compared to the first half, which was just incredible, the second half was kinda meh)
Claymore
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Sep 2, 2020 10:40 PM
Feb 2020
Just wanna put this out there.....

I really disagree with the idea that Darling in the FranXX and Neon Genisis Evangelion had a "very bad" ending. Being an unpopular ending or a confusing ending doesn't make it a very bad one. I think both of them were able to make a complete circle back to the origin of their plot.

In Darling, both Hiro and Zero Two died during their final battle to save the Earth. They love each other so much that many generations later, they meet again under the tree that was planted by their crew as two children. This completes the plot and ends the story by making a full circle around the plot. It might not be satisfying since the characters died, but that does not make it a bad ending.

In Eva, I will argue that both ending, the one which Shinji was able to save the Earth and the one which he failed to do that, made total sense and properly ends the series. In both, the plot explores the mental unstableness of the main characters Shinji. It was very confusing and eerie to watch both endings, but I don't think that makes it bad.

Sep 2, 2020 10:43 PM
Super Saiyan

May 2017
Death Note and Naruto are what come to mind
Sep 3, 2020 2:29 AM
Photojournalist

Apr 2007
I would say Guilty Crown. It was great until the end
Sep 3, 2020 6:05 AM

Aug 2020
Mirai Nikki is the one of the most disappointing animes I’ve watched so far. It had a lot of potential but it was completely ruined halfway into the show.

Tokyo ghoul is another one, if you were to watch all seasons. Season 4 is absolute trash and it ruined my whole outlook on the show.
Sep 3, 2020 8:23 PM
Aug 2020
Obviously Death Note.
Then the second season of Guilty Crown.
Ah and Oregairu. Seriously, an anime is about a love triangle and the anime studio is so biased that they almost completely removed one of the three from the final season. If they don't change the ending, we'll soon have a finale in which the main character falls in love with a woman who's just reappearing for the first time in years.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

130 by -YaoiBoy- »»
18 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

216 by Coaghim »»
26 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Today

33 by FanofAction »»
29 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 2 hours ago

7 by BitChilly »»
37 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - 7 hours ago

24 by Coaghim »»
37 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.