Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 15, 2020 2:29 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
I find it very odd throughout these past 5 seasons there have been a multitude of characters that have had unconventional cooking methods, odd tools, and seemingly unexplainable "powers", but only now people are complaining about it. Here are only just a few that come to mind:

God Tongue
Mimasaka's Perfect Copy ability
Akira's extreme sense of smell for spices

Food Wars has always embraced its insanity, it was one of its best charms, so why would it stop now? Personally I've enjoyed this quite a bit. The contests have been interesting and entertaining.

While I think Asahi's power takes Mimasaka's to the extreme, even to a point where it doesn't seem fair, I find it fairly easy to shrug off as this has always been Food Wars' MO. The enjoyment of Food Wars has always been because of its ridiculousness.

I think the only unfortunate thing that I can think of is that the whole process of making the dish, presenting it, etc. has been streamlined, taking away the tension that the first few seasons had captured so well.

I can see why it would've made sense to end the series after what happened last season, but popular stories overstaying their welcome has become almost the norm at this point. Always trying to squeeze just a little more cash out of it. Demon Slayer is the only popular story I've seen recently that bowed out when the creator wanted, rather than keeping it going just to capitalize on profits.

I think they couldve dedicated more time than what we got towards Asahi and Tsukasa's fight, considering Tsukasa's skill. But unfortunately it seems he was but a stepping stone for Asahi. That lessened the impact of his loss unfortunately.

I do think Soma using his opponent's specialty against them was great though. And showing his experience through the diner to justify his skill was a nice touch.
takkun_Aug 15, 2020 2:39 PM
Aug 15, 2020 2:37 PM

Feb 2015
This entire arc is taking the absolute piss. How can anyone on this forum watch this and think, yeah this is great.

Food wars has been an awesome series right up to the end of last season bit its completely lost the plot now.
Aug 15, 2020 3:54 PM

Jan 2016
Damn, Eishi lost to Asahi's Plot Armor with all those strange yet improved power ups lol

Things won't end well and I don't mean the Blue competition exactly...
THANKS SENPIEX
Aug 15, 2020 4:16 PM

Jun 2013
This is a bit too much, even for me
Aug 15, 2020 4:55 PM

Jul 2017
This season keeps being as stupid and nonsensical as ever. Cross knives? Wtf? The fact that those cooks had weird fucking weapons for cooking was already stupid, but, using them all at once and learning how to use them all instantaneously? It's just pure nonsense. 2/5 for me.
Aug 15, 2020 6:26 PM

Nov 2012
Eishi doesn't get a 2nd chance, right? The last battle against Erina was the final one? I don't remember. I know that was some bs. It should have been against the rules for him to use the equipment of other chefs in the competition.

Did the manga get a new writer or editor or something around this storyline? It just seems off.
Aug 15, 2020 9:04 PM

Jan 2020
dragynfaerie said:

Did the manga get a new writer or editor or something around this storyline? It just seems off.

Food consultant that used to be the advisor is going on maternity leave so author improvise by pulling this shonen superpower BS
Aug 15, 2020 9:18 PM

Mar 2013
It's like a car crash, I can't look away. Sure there were other characters with overpowered abilities in earlier seasons, but touching someone to steal their skill and store said skills in his hands is another level of absurd. This is getting to be the most boring garbage fire I've seen but I feel like I've watched too long to drop it right before the end.
Aug 16, 2020 4:08 AM

Aug 2018
Short_Circut said:
big F for Tsukasa there, got omega rekd by...........wat??

tfw when the only possible final villain left is just pretty much copying a previous villain but amplifying it x100 lol
More like x million.Atleast Mimasaka had to go through mental imagining.But,our boi Asahi don't need that shit.He can touch any tool and learn their style.Hardwork is for losers.Pfffff.Asahi best villain.Fight me.
Aug 16, 2020 7:22 AM

May 2015
This season is so bad that it hurts.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Aug 16, 2020 9:54 AM

May 2018
Ya know this was one of those thing where this anime's factoid were wrong cu'z Rice syrup has a higher glycemic index (GI) of 98 than table sugar which is 65 so in reality it wasn't a good sugar substitute.

Well then given that Saiba has dealt his own team a serious blow , I guessing that, they're put of the competition.............

how the hell did that black host woman got into that picture when we never saw her take a bite of Saiba's chicken dish??
Aug 16, 2020 11:49 AM

Apr 2018
Ofc Saiba Asahi would win it was kinda obvious! Pretty good episode better than the other ones in my opinion.
Aug 16, 2020 12:05 PM

Jul 2019
Compared to the previous episode... quite good. I love it when they go all out with a theme and make the hosts look as riddiculous as possible. Asahi got the same treatment: the Orochimaru of Shokugeki no Souma. He wants all the jutsu... aehm cooking utensils and immediately knows how to use them perfectly or no... even better! At least they take the crazy concept to the next logical step.
Aug 16, 2020 6:36 PM

Apr 2015
OK, now I get it why manga readers were frustrated with this arc. Although, it looks like there are more cringe moments to come. I just can't take this Esdeath doppelganger seriously. A chainsaw? The other guy is a clown, the other is a vampire...
This is insane even for shokugeki's standards. The last two episodes were pretty bad. I'm curious to see what will happen in the last episode.
Aug 16, 2020 11:14 PM

Oct 2008
blasphemy! Tsukasa lost!?
oh man! how would Souma fight against an opponent who could use all of the speciality and abilities of all chefs that he defeated!?!? DAMN!
5/5.

Aug 17, 2020 12:54 AM

Feb 2015
matias067 said:
blasphemy! Tsukasa lost!?
oh man! how would Souma fight against an opponent who could use all of the speciality and abilities of all chefs that he defeated!?!? DAMN!
5/5.

5/5? Christ on a bike you have low standards
Aug 17, 2020 6:59 AM
Apr 2018
This episode started with laugther. The first line Kore ga watashi no "Cluster Bomb Cake." It was like a kid saying it.
Aug 17, 2020 11:40 AM

Mar 2019
Well things are getting more ridiculous, i still enjoy the usual but it used to have a certain logic to it all, and i always hated the villain who just copies abilities, for the main villain of this arc to have it and in such a ridiculous, magical and out of place way, well the whole arc just falls apart.
Aug 17, 2020 12:49 PM
Sep 2018
my favorite episode of the season. We were provided with two big duels. Eishi lost to all the black masters... it wasn't just Asahi to me, bad luck I'd say. The ending was also incredible I think.
Aug 17, 2020 2:53 PM
Jul 2020
Lowkey knew Tsukasa was going to lose because there wouldn't be more plot after that.
I wonder how Soma will be Asahi though.
Aug 18, 2020 1:39 AM

Feb 2019
I wouder how 35 people give this episode 5 out 5
Aug 18, 2020 12:47 PM
Nov 2014
i mean, everyone's already said it all, so the only thing I'll add is this: I've been absolutely done with how the black characters have been designed for a while now -______-
Aug 19, 2020 10:22 AM

Jan 2015
This is getting worse and worse really.
Aug 20, 2020 6:01 AM

Jun 2020
alphazero4um said:
Yeah. This ability came out of nowhere. However, it is like the God's Tongue which is also questionable. I mean this is where me and so many others had an issue with. Actually it is at least the second major problem of why this arc became very 'down low'. Though I give props to the credits giving small glimpse of Asahi's past but yeah. All else considered it seems logic and realism was lost as in any Series that tends lose some course eventually.

The god tongue is explainable since there are actual people in existence with a hyper palate, so it isn't that unbelievable. But cross knives? You touch a knife and you immediately learn that cooking skill? You use a chainsaw to cook? Nah man, these are some unbelievable bullshit

I said keep your hands on the table
Aug 20, 2020 6:19 AM

Jun 2020
Todd_ said:
I find it very odd throughout these past 5 seasons there have been a multitude of characters that have had unconventional cooking methods, odd tools, and seemingly unexplainable "powers", but only now people are complaining about it. Here are only just a few that come to mind:

God Tongue
Mimasaka's Perfect Copy ability
Akira's extreme sense of smell for spices

Food Wars has always embraced its insanity, it was one of its best charms, so why would it stop now? Personally I've enjoyed this quite a bit. The contests have been interesting and entertaining.

While I think Asahi's power takes Mimasaka's to the extreme, even to a point where it doesn't seem fair, I find it fairly easy to shrug off as this has always been Food Wars' MO. The enjoyment of Food Wars has always been because of its ridiculousness.

I think the only unfortunate thing that I can think of is that the whole process of making the dish, presenting it, etc. has been streamlined, taking away the tension that the first few seasons had captured so well.

I can see why it would've made sense to end the series after what happened last season, but popular stories overstaying their welcome has become almost the norm at this point. Always trying to squeeze just a little more cash out of it. Demon Slayer is the only popular story I've seen recently that bowed out when the creator wanted, rather than keeping it going just to capitalize on profits.

I think they couldve dedicated more time than what we got towards Asahi and Tsukasa's fight, considering Tsukasa's skill. But unfortunately it seems he was but a stepping stone for Asahi. That lessened the impact of his loss unfortunately.

I do think Soma using his opponent's specialty against them was great though. And showing his experience through the diner to justify his skill was a nice touch.

Yeah I call bullshit. Just like in my above reply where I explained why the god tongue isn't a fucking superpower. Mimasaka's ability ain't a motherfucking superpower as well, he actually studied his opponent, he investigates his opponents' habits and cooking styles to predict their intended dish or unearth it himself. After a thorough investigation, Mimasaka is able to fully emulate them and cook almost exactly the same as them. However, Mimasaka then takes their recipes and then improves their taste in order to ensure victory. While it is not entirely perfect, using this style gave Mimasaka an impeccable 99 Shokugeki win streak prior to his introduction. So yeah. Also Hayama's ability isn't a superpower, what the fuck? How the fuck don't you know that people with that good sense of smell actually exist. Jesus. If you don't notice how Saiba Asahi's superpower is next fucking level then you're blind, seriously? Touching other chef's tools and instantly learning their cooking style? Not only that but also combining cooking styles? Nah man. "Food Wars has always embraced its insanity" no it wasn't, Food Wars was embraced because of it's amazing and lovable lineup of characters, amazing cooking scenes, foodgasms, yeah that's about it. None of the people signed up for this Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works bullshit.

I said keep your hands on the table
Aug 20, 2020 8:23 AM

Jun 2017
I only have two favorite characters in Shokugeki! And those are Jouichirou and Tsukasa. Both characters were ruined by this last season! 😞

She got him back. If you understand the characters well enough, you'd know she did!
Aug 22, 2020 4:41 PM

Nov 2012
kayuza77 said:
dragynfaerie said:

Food consultant that used to be the advisor is going on maternity leave so author improvise by pulling this shonen superpower BS

* mouth drop * I really wish you were lying, but I know you're not. smh
Aug 27, 2020 10:00 AM

Jan 2014
what the fuck kinda bullshit --
Aug 31, 2020 12:35 AM

Jan 2013
The only thing that still remains the same is the fact that Souma can own anyone with pure skill, and that hypes me up so much when he cooks something insanely good xD

But the whole chainsaw, guillotine, and the balls thing, look a little ridiculous tbh.

Glad they explained Asahi's "skill", at least he doesn't steal the skill from the cooks.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Aug 31, 2020 9:40 AM

Mar 2020
So Asahi basically cheated by stealing all of the other Noir members' tools and his OP Crossed Knives technique is a little too far-fetched. Being able to instantaneously copy someone else's special skill by... nothing? Like after he won Tsukasa's grater, he said, "The ability to have a conversation with your ingredients? I guess that's mine, too." You guess? YOU GUESS?! All of the abilities these other chefs have through years, lifetimes, of cooking experience, he just gets by holding their tools? It's asinine. They basically copied Mimasaka's ability, pasted it onto Asahi, then made it impossibly OP.

Also, Tsukasa, good job betting your prized grater on something you said you didn't even care about. It's like the same thing they did with Erina: make a bet when you have no real stakes to seemingly make the story more interesting. No point.

I've seen other comments in the thread that the dish collaborator for the manga was out on maternity leave during this arc and that this arc was rushed, and boy, does it show.
Aug 31, 2020 8:31 PM
Apr 2020
Unfortunately this is where the manga went bad :( still feels weird they introduced these superpower stuff,,, still excited to see this end in the anime though. also lowkey hoping they might change the ending because it was kinda disappointing, at least for me

heartmethodyAug 31, 2020 8:35 PM
Sep 4, 2020 6:38 AM

Jul 2013
He absobs the technique of every chef when he's using their favorite cooking utensil? Ok sounds legit.
Sep 9, 2020 12:43 PM

Jun 2017
Mastering an instrument with the sense of touch is stupid. But then I already expected it. Every fight is filler only for Souma and Asahi to fight at the end. Asahi's demeanor is unlikable too.
SnS always had a touch of over the top in its presentation but it was presented in a believable manner... untill now.
Sep 10, 2020 10:23 AM

Aug 2017
It felt like an old episode of Food Wars!, they explained every meal and the pacing was great. Manga readers told me that Tsukasa's defeat was rushed but it was the opposite here. Asashi skills are like Majin Boo from Dragon Ball Z lmao.

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Sep 15, 2020 8:09 PM

Jul 2014
People on this show really have to learn to say no. Farewell Tsukasa, you lost to the guy with super powers... like seriously, WTF is that super power shit?!

And just like that, Noir is out (except Escanor). Well, I can't say I'm going to miss them lol.
Sep 17, 2020 1:23 PM

May 2016
That last scene gave me chills, it felt different and great way to help a friend.

but still I felt bad for Tsukasa.
Oct 4, 2020 4:58 AM

Apr 2020
Asahi against Tsukasa, I never thought Tsukasa would lose.
Oct 20, 2020 3:18 AM
Jun 2019
I thought this episode was really good. Sad to see Tsukasa lose tho.
Nov 29, 2020 8:31 AM

Mar 2010
I honestly hope Noir wins blue... Erina needs to be raped hard.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jan 13, 2021 6:59 AM

Mar 2016
Alright, so we got to see Souma winning with his explosive cake, defeating Sarge. That was great, loved the whole part from describing the ingredients to how they all reacted after tasting it. Also, some short heartwarming flashback of how Joichiro pushes Souma to come ahead and improve his skills and experience every day all the time back in their diner since Souma was still a kid.

Now then... Asahi has THE most OP yet BS ability I've ever seen, even by Shokugeki no Souma's standard! The ability to learn a person's cooking abilities from their personal tools. Plundering their skills via their tools and utilizing them whilst also crossing them over to procure an even more advanced and better variation of the various skills he has gotten. A perfect copycat.

Look, even Mimasaka has to spend hours on end acting the way his target chef does and cooking the way they do to somewhat achieves what they could and finally, after challenging them and winning, he gets to have their personal tools, as trophies. Keyword: AS TROPHIES Not as a medium in which one can absorb and instantly learn the former chef's abilities, skills and even knowledge!

Shokugeki no SOuma has always been an exaggeration of cooking and food-tasting, but now it's been singlehandedly taken to the realm that transcends both time and space itself through this 1 ability that any action-story would consider a gigantic threat. The ability to perfectly replicate other's skills and knowledge.
Jan 21, 2021 4:56 AM

Dec 2012
Sooo...what's next? Cooking with an AK-47? With a war axe? A bazooka?
Jul 14, 2021 9:06 AM

Jul 2017
Mimasaka's ability was already a little bit of a stretch but still acceptable, but Asahi's is something else. This whole arc is a mistake in conceptualization. Soma won, of course he did, Tsukasa got his ass kicked like Joichiro, so undefeatable individual men just crumbling one after another due to Akashi from KnB levels of dumb abilities. I miss season 1 so much.
Apr 14, 2022 7:40 AM

Apr 2013
So Tsukasa lost, the dude who should be 2nd place at the end of the manga. The dude who was the huuuuuge obstacle from the very beginning. To some random f*ck who just appeared this season and copies skills from people who used the same knife as him... what a load of bull...
Nov 7, 2023 4:48 AM
Certified Simp

Feb 2017
Not Tsukasa too 😭 Soma didn’t even get to properly verse him rip
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma: Gou no Sara Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2020

233 by penguin_sama »»
Jan 30, 6:00 PM

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma: Gou no Sara Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2020

74 by phantom346 »»
Jan 10, 2:25 PM

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma: Gou no Sara Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2020

168 by emptycamz »»
Nov 21, 2023 4:26 PM

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma: Gou no Sara Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2020

82 by aod-kun »»
Nov 9, 2023 3:26 AM

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma: Gou no Sara Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2020

72 by aod-kun »»
Nov 9, 2023 2:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.