Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jul 16, 2020 1:49 AM
Jun 2016
Before you say anything, remember that i don't shill anything. I just asj for your prediction. The animation and OST are top-tier, and i have seen a lot of people agree. About the pacing issue, i think they can skip most of the stuffs in manhwa but still make a good anime. So, i think there's chance it will blow up as much as OPM did.
Fish_fuckerJul 16, 2020 3:00 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 16, 2020 2:22 AM

Jun 2017
"One Punch Man" has the advantage of being iconic and self-explanatory as a title in and of itself (as well as being offering the more parodic angle and everything else)

strictly answered, I will predict no

but will it be popular? idk probably
Jul 16, 2020 3:51 AM
Jul 2018
Everyone on MAL will say no.
Jul 16, 2020 3:55 AM
Jan 2018
nope its not even close
Jul 16, 2020 4:04 AM
Jun 2016
JustEddy said:
nope its not even close

What made OPM popular was the animation and action, right?
Fish_fuckerJul 16, 2020 4:16 AM
Jul 16, 2020 6:29 AM
Oct 2015
KaguyafanVN said:
JustEddy said:
nope its not even close

What made OPM popular was the animation and action, right?

You can't force something to be a trend, OPM already famous since ONE's era and Murataka artworks take it to the next level. The studio is MADHOUSE and the staff they hired are all the giants in the industry. So thats that

Tbh, the reason why this show even popular is because of the nostalgia, I don't even have a clue wtf is going on with the webtoon right now. And I still don understand why the hell he even nerf Jun, god it ruins the webtoon for me
Jul 16, 2020 6:41 AM
Aug 2018
nope, only the fanboys will raise this show up.
Jul 16, 2020 7:51 AM

May 2016
Tower Of God didn’t blow up which is a far bigger webtoon series.

I don’t know how this will.
Down on the West Coast

They got a sayin'
Jul 16, 2020 8:03 AM

Oct 2017

Only action and animation is good in the god of high school but OPM have more than that
Jul 16, 2020 8:28 AM
Oct 2018
Lsc1408 said:

Only action and animation is good in the god of high school but OPM have more than that

Wow it's actually the exact reverse. OPM season 1 had action and animation & nothing else. Plot was non existent in OPM S1. But God of high school will have much more to offer than just action and animation.
Jul 16, 2020 8:34 AM
ranked 54 in FAL
Mar 2018
m8 one punch man is one of the most popular shows of the last decade, and arguably of the entire anime sphere as a whole, god of highschool has some elements working in its favor, but it is very unlikely for it to be anything more than flavor of the week, if you really love it that's cool, and i somewhat liked what i've seen so far, but it will probably almost be forgotten by this time next year.
betaweebJul 23, 2020 5:36 AM
Jul 16, 2020 8:35 AM

Feb 2019
Probably 0. OPM has a lot of things going for itself.
Jul 16, 2020 9:12 AM

May 2017
OPM has better plot compared to this, GOH just goes downhill after the first 2-3 arcs if iirc, that's why I dropped it. There are definitely better Manhwa than this out there, for Instance Tower of God.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 16, 2020 9:23 AM

May 2015
I’m not the biggest fan of OPM (or this series for matter fact), but there is no way this will become as popular and successful as that series...

First, OPM has a distinctive (and more memorable) set of characters (designs) than this series. You can’t really compare Mo-Ri Jin with Saitama in terms of memorability as MCs goes. And second, OPM's setting and plot are a bit more interesting, especially later on.

We ultimately fear what spawns from within us ~Shinsekai yori
Music is freedom. ~Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
Jul 16, 2020 12:32 PM
Dec 2013
it also depends of the state of the season they're currently in. If the season lacks some serious competition, the chances of the anime becoming trending increases.

but even that can have no relevance. One Punch Man had some big serious competition when it aired in 2015 and carved his place without problems.

right now I think GoH has one big rival that is starting to take the eyes from him and it's Re:Zero.

yesterday the opening was released and the hype rised to crazy levels, Re:Zero seems to be going all in this season.

there's also that SAO season (I will never understand the popularity of that anime), Fire force and maybe Souma.

I fear this would impact GoH popularity and that saddens me, because I love GoH.
AdorelisJul 16, 2020 12:47 PM
Jul 16, 2020 12:48 PM

Jan 2009
it will become popular but not as popular as One Punch Man
Jul 16, 2020 10:56 PM

Oct 2017
Nik03178 said:
Lsc1408 said:

Wow it's actually the exact reverse. OPM season 1 had action and animation & nothing else. Plot was non existent in OPM S1. But God of high school will have much more to offer than just action and animation.

at least OPM is not rushed.
and that's one of the reasons god of high school "ANIME" won't blow up. source material may be great ( i didn't read it ) but anime won't be that great. you can already tell it after watching 2 episodes.

and action & animation wasn't the ONLY reason OPM blew up. OPM has an awesome & very UNIQUE main character. + there's more reasons but i'm not gonna mention them all.

& in GOH main character is little bit cliche. I am not saying he's a bad character but people won't connect to him like Saitama. & GOH will be popular but not as much as OPM. I agree action and animation is superb & I'm watching it for that. & there are also few other reasons which makes this anime not so great.
Lsc1408Jul 16, 2020 11:01 PM
Jul 17, 2020 4:19 AM

Dec 2013
Pretty much 0%

Honestly it's shocking to hear that something could think it's possible.
Jul 17, 2020 5:53 AM
Apr 2020
The ones that say 100% or 0% are the most stupid
Jul 17, 2020 10:38 AM
Oct 2012
Nah the difference is that other than cool fights OPM was universally funny while God is painfully unfunny with over-the-top humor that only asians and w-people would ever laugh at.
It's funny because if the author is korean he's pretty much a w-person.
Jul 17, 2020 11:02 AM

Sep 2017
Nah

It may become more popular than Tower of God, but I don't see it beating One Punch Man tbh
Jul 17, 2020 11:36 AM

Jul 2011
Hahaha this is nowhere near OPM. The story is the most generic thing I've ever seen. Not that I dislike it, I like having a dumb action heavy series but this will never become more than that.
Jul 17, 2020 1:14 PM

Nov 2019
It definitely is blowing up, especially within anime circles. Shows like OPM however even had my non anime watching friends take notice.
It had a very interesting premise "a man who defeats enemies in one punch" and the show delivered consistently entertaining episodes.

GOH show doesn't seem to have that great of an elevator pitch(compared to OPM).

I'm pretty sure most people who watch GOH will like it but I doubt it will be as famous as OPM in terms of characters,memes, and public awareness in casual watchers or non anime watching crowds.

I'm very exited to see how far this anime will go and if i'm wrong about how popular it will get I would be happy because it would mean more people will watch the show.That being said it's important to manage expectations and hype or they can and will kill a show.
Jul 17, 2020 2:08 PM

Apr 2020
99% no.because Goh story is not comparable to OPM.
"Raise your words, not voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder"~Rumi

Jul 17, 2020 2:29 PM
Apr 2020
A reminder here that Demon Slayer has blown up out of the blue mostly because of animation.
Jul 17, 2020 5:58 PM
Apr 2017
God of Highschool is barely top 50 in Japan this season so far so I doubt it.
Jul 18, 2020 3:01 AM

Dec 2018
Everything can happen I guess you need only 1 perfect episode to blow up to the sky like Kimetsu no Yaiba did for example.
Jul 18, 2020 7:01 AM
Jan 2018
Nik03178 said:
Lsc1408 said:

Idk if it was just me but one of the things I loved about OPM was that it made me feel kinda bad for Saitama because no one noticed his efforts (only Genos and other heroes but not the public) and I'm hopeful to see Saitama get recognition (in the plot) as he should
Jul 18, 2020 8:23 AM
Apr 2017
There is a bigger chance you will get hit by a flaming dildo through the window.
Jul 18, 2020 8:27 AM

Jun 2020

S
ReegrezSNK said:
Everything can happen I guess you need only 1 perfect episode to blow up to the sky like Kimetsu no Yaiba did for example.

Which episode of KnY would you be talking about here? Ep 19, by any chance?
This anime shit is addictive
Jul 18, 2020 9:29 AM

Dec 2018
spectrojan said:

S
ReegrezSNK said:

Which episode of KnY would you be talking about here? Ep 19, by any chance?

Yes I meant ep 19. Personally I gave it 8/10 for me show overall was good with couple issues. But almost noone talked about it. After episode 19, the hype blow up like a volcano.
Jul 18, 2020 4:29 PM
May 2019
About the same chances as Trump developing a conscience......meaning NONE.
Jul 18, 2020 4:46 PM

Dec 2014
I doubt it while both have great animation OPM has way better comedy and a better story flow while TGOH comedy is just kinda ok and there rushing through the story while not making us give a shit about the main 3 characters
Jul 18, 2020 8:24 PM

Jan 2013
It's only been two episodes so it's hard to say. GoH certainly wouldn't for the same reasons or, in all probability, at the same level. Never read the webtoons, but it's got a lot going for it and to its credit, the fact that people are even asking this says a lot. a lot of salt in these comments lol. You could name every single reason why things may or not catch on, but it's like everyone says - can't force a trend.

When Murata remade OPM it was cool and caught a lot of attention for its incredibly detailed art, comedy, and paneling, but I don't think anyone could have predicted it would go as main stream as it is now back when it came out in 2012. I read the manga when it first came out that summer, and there was some hype surrounding it following its release - and the subsequent anime adaption - but the hype only really started to amp up outside of the anime community around a year or so after it finished airing (just generalizing for simplicity sake).

It especially grew traction in popular media when it hit netflix. So yeah bit of a history lesson for fun haha. On that note, as big as crunchyroll is, I think it would do both ToG and GoH a big service to make it more accessible to the casual viewer. Maybe when they get their second seasons? They've got pretty great production values and after more content and general word of mouth spreads I could see it on the likes of Black Clover's anime or maybe even HxH one day, at least in terms of how their population would grow.

Also, this and last season has had some pretty significant shifts in growth and popularity, some of the more shocking ones were series that have been out for a while that have only now gained traction. Pretty crazy stuff
Jul 18, 2020 9:18 PM

May 2019
Only in the overly hyped expectations of webtoon fandom.

If there is something new that we are experiencing here in MAL is the cringey behavior of the users that are fans of webtoon series.

- Seek for approval
- Complete absence of (self)criticism

Just check any comment section of a webtoon chapter. It is all and only blatantly praising and asslicking.

Then here in MAL it is the opposite. The clash of civilizations are resulting in... topics like this.

Jul 18, 2020 10:16 PM

Dec 2013
It's obviously going to be as popular as tower of god was
I shall destroy and hate mankind
Jul 18, 2020 10:18 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Easily a big fat zero.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jul 18, 2020 10:26 PM

Oct 2019
Lol nope. OPM has a memorable premise and likable characters that would draw people into the story. This has none of that.
Jul 19, 2020 9:44 PM

Mar 2018
So it's just like OPM. All animation no plot. Meh maybe 2/10 at best. I'll wait for it to finish.
Jul 20, 2020 11:59 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I don't think so. OPM has more memorable characters and a premise that is not as generic as God of High School. Saitama is pretty unique and the absurdity surrounding him makes for pretty good comedy.

GHS has the teenage protagonists thing going for it though, that always attracts more viewers than with an "adult" protagonist.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 20, 2020 12:11 PM

Jul 2020
Extremely low. Almost 0%
Jul 20, 2020 12:12 PM

Jan 2020
ReegrezSNK said:
As much as I'm inclined towards saying "NO".
I gotta admit, this is really true. Anything can happen

Although, there's one thing for sure.
GoH will never "blow up like OPM".
Anime like One Punch Man and Attack on Titan blew up because of their attention-grabbing, thrilling, different and action-oriented premises which GoH doesn't have.

However as mentioned above it could go the Kimetsu route. One phenomenal episode could do wonders for the series.

Or it could go the Mha route - building it's hype and becoming popular over time which I find unlikely but still attainable
MistaAshJul 20, 2020 12:37 PM
Jul 20, 2020 12:14 PM

Apr 2016
OPM was Mid af, idk how it got that popular. I am enjoying this because We haven't had anime with good martial arts combat since forever.

PS:- I haven't read the manga and MP100 was far better than OPM, infact its among one of my top fav anime
Jul 20, 2020 12:36 PM
Jun 2020
Very high. In fact I predict that GOTHS will become the most popular anime on MAL.
Jul 20, 2020 12:41 PM

Aug 2018
It's just not going to happen ope punch man had more things going for it popularity wise
_______I like rocks__
Jul 20, 2020 6:03 PM

Jan 2019
Probably not. The most possible webtoon to blow up must be Solo Leveling if they have great adaptation as the manhwa is already very very popular in the anime/manga community.

But OPM is like one of the top 10 most popular/iconic manga of all time and one of the most popular works before it even have the adaptation, so I don't think any adaptation will came as close as OPM in terms of popularity unless there's some very popular manga having a superb adaptation in the future
Jul 20, 2020 7:31 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Your comparison are way too far, mate. Its not even a closed one.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jul 21, 2020 1:30 AM
Apr 2020
TeamDalaiLana said:
Tower Of God didn’t blow up which is a far bigger webtoon series.

I don’t know how this will.

lol comparing the anime with each other
god of highschool is already much much better than tog
Jul 21, 2020 6:30 AM
Mar 2019
No chance. God of Highschool is a decent Manwa and the anime has got it's upsides like the animation but what it lacks is good writing. If you think about it, what made One Punch man blow up was not just the animation, because if animation was what made it popular then a Show like Fire Force would be one of the most popular anime of all time because one can argue that it has a got one of the greatest action scenes in anime history. But that's not really the case, God of Highschool like Fire Force lacks good enough writing. ONE in my opinion is one of the greatest action comedy writers/mangaka ever. The fact that he could make such a basic plot of "a man who can finish any foe with just one punch" so interesting is thanks to his skill as a great writer. And the anime had that great writing finely adapted. Even the second season was able to make a lot of people chuckle even though it lacked in the animation department. Unfortunately, like most Manwa/Manhua God of Highschool lacks in that writing department. While it feels natural when you read it as a Webtoon it doesn't really work as great when you adapt it into an anime.
Rayzer_pJul 21, 2020 6:36 AM
Jul 22, 2020 3:16 PM

Jun 2020
How can you even compare those two? One is a beautiful piece of art. Another one is just a rushed garbage.

I said keep your hands on the table
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » The God of High School Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Jul 20, 2020

269 by --Kiyotaka-- »»
Apr 22, 6:51 PM

Poll: » The God of High School Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Jul 13, 2020

289 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 17, 4:59 AM

Poll: » The God of High School Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 6, 2020

488 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 17, 4:54 AM

Poll: » The God of High School Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

SingleH - Sep 28, 2020

336 by Cheonyu »»
Mar 2, 2:52 AM

» MAPPA

BigHomieTrapa - Aug 29, 2021

11 by JamesWilli »»
Nov 25, 2023 2:24 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.