Forum Settings
Forums

Manga that you've read even after seeing the anime adaptation

New
May 6, 2020 8:08 PM

Apr 2020
I have been reading Tower of God. But I'm only on chapter 30 or so.
So, would you read a Manga even after seeing the anime adaptation?
If yes, what are those?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 7, 2020 12:28 AM

Jun 2012
If I deem the anime is interesting enough, then there's a high chance that I'll check out it's manga too.

But if you're asking what about those anime that are still airing, I'll mostly wait for it to end before I consider reading its source. I.e. with Tower of God, I'm still not sold on the anime currently so I don't plan to check its manhwa yet.
May 7, 2020 8:13 AM

Apr 2010
Half of my mangas are like that. Saw anime > got interested > read manga
May 7, 2020 8:36 AM

Jun 2012
Usually it's the complete opposite for myself, but off the top of my head I recently picked up One Punch Man and MOB Psycho 100, having enjoyed both anime already (MOB being one of my favorite anime of all time, or at least close to it).

If I get into an anime before I get into the manga, I usually just keep with the anime. The only reason I wouldn't is because I don't like the direction it takes (which was the case of OPM) or they stop adapting the manga.
May 7, 2020 10:31 AM

Jul 2019
1. Kimetsu no Yaiba
2. Love After the Rain
3. Danchigai
4. Haikyuu
May 7, 2020 11:29 AM

Dec 2010
practically every shounen I have ever read I always hear of the anime first.
May 7, 2020 12:59 PM
Jan 2018
Depends on the length. If it's a long running show that has barely scratched the surface in its time, I'll reread then read ahead.
Also if I learn there are significant differences. I watched original FMA, and then read the manga, then watched brotherhood.
May 7, 2020 9:33 PM
May 2020
Not a lot since I usually get to the manga before it even becomes relevant enough to get an adaptation but I'd say Haikyuu!, Saiki, and probably Eizouken got me into checking out their source material. In Saiki's case, I had already read it but watching it made me want to reread it to be quite honest.
May 7, 2020 9:46 PM

Sep 2009
Neon Genesis Evangelion...
Anime end March 27, 1996
Manga end June 4, 2013
May 8, 2020 9:37 AM

May 2012
Same as Raith94.

I usually read/consume the source material first and then decide if it'll be worth it to watch the anime. If the latter offers something new, i.e. making use of the medium instead of being an uninspired, faithful adaption, then it surely has my attention.
My Rereads | My Favorite Mangaka | Soylent Green

Buy stuff, or buy at least your favorites if you can afford it - Don't be lame.

D W-W&N ๐Ÿค

MAL is a far cry from being my main literature site, that's why I won't be doing mere single chapter updates anymore. Manga- aka Baka-Updates + 2 French ones are miles better and more thorough/complete + less restricting. The latter are perfectly suited for Manga/Light Novel/Books collectors such as myself. Less stressful/tiring this way. -g-
May 30, 2020 6:19 PM

Dec 2017
Usually, it's the opposite. I read the manga first, and then I decide to watch the anime. A few exceptions:

- The promised neverland
- Akatsuki no Yona
- Demon Slayer
- Sailor Moon (childhood!)
May 31, 2020 12:09 AM

Oct 2019
I do pick up manga post anime..in case where I cant wait for another season or there might not be another season or the anime is dragging a bit..

I did that for..
BNHA
One Piece
Naruto
Chihayafuru
HxH
and some more.

"Not everyone who works hard is rewarded.
But, all those who succeed have worked hard"
May 31, 2020 12:28 AM

Feb 2019
Well basically anything that looks good in anime form and that the manga is still ongoing.

A few examples would be One Punch Man, Senryuu Shoujo, Kaguya-sama etc.
Jun 6, 2020 12:11 AM

Aug 2016
Death Note. Instead of rewatching it after years, I decided to go for the manga experience. Same with NGE.
:v
Jun 6, 2020 12:19 AM

Feb 2017
I have plenty of them. ReLife, Houseki no Kuni, 5-toubun no Hanayome, Yagate Kimi ni Naru, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, Touch, Cross Game, etc. I usually don't have problem in reading something that I've already watched, but I have problems in doing the opposite. Watching an anime takes a longer time than reading a manga, and it doesn't give much enjoyment if I've already enjoyed the source material, so it feels like a waste of time.
Jun 6, 2020 12:46 AM

Feb 2019
to love ru darkness is even better than the anime. also reading berserk because i saw the cgi stuff and got offput but still thought it would be good in manga
Jun 6, 2020 2:58 AM

Jun 2019
Akatsuki no Yona, Noragami, and Koe no Katachi. Basically my earlier anime.

Jun 6, 2020 5:02 AM

Jan 2020
My Hero Academia
Kaguya-sama
Grand Blue
Attack on Titan
Koe no Katachi
Haikyuu
Wotakoi
One Punch Man
Quintessential Quintuplets
Basically, anime which I liked or wanted to know what happens next.

And with that bye-bye, I'm off to read Vinland Saga now. Just finished the anime and it was amazing :)
Jun 6, 2020 5:55 AM

Aug 2018
I read fullmetal alchemist and death note and then watched the corresponding episodes. No clue why
_______I like rocks__
Jun 6, 2020 2:11 PM

Aug 2017
Attack on Titan (I could've just continued from chapter 90+ but apparently chapters 51~65 were done differently in the manga so I started from the beginning)

and My Hero Academia (same deal, I heard some parts were cut out from the anime adaptation so I started from the beginning instead of continuing from chapter 190+)
Some of you never watched Bakugan Battle Brawlers on TeleToon in 2008 and it shows.
REST IN PEACE KENTAROU MIURA
Jun 6, 2020 11:55 PM
Jul 2018
ao-chan cant study & noragami

i wanted more so i ended up just reading what i already saw in the anime and then i found out noragami was ongoing so that was a plus:)
Jun 7, 2020 7:27 AM
Aug 2019
I dont think so. I read(still reading) the Light Novel Durarara after watching the First Season of the Anime. But Manga currently no but i plan on getting the Manga of the current season series Arte
Jun 16, 2020 8:08 PM

Dec 2016
sometimes thats just how it be! catch up with one piece? read the manga. Catch up with Berserk? read the manga, cry. Catch up with HXH? read the manga, cry.

no season two? READ that manga. lmao

Jun 16, 2020 8:18 PM
Jul 2018
I decided to read the Tokyo Ghoul and Tokyo Ghoul:re manga after learning that the anime adaptation was vastly different. I also read Another and part of Death Note after finishing the shows, just to compare.
Jun 22, 2020 4:30 AM

Jan 2020
Death Note
Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry (It's an adaptation of the original light novel though)
Koe no Katachi
Yamada-kun to 7 min no Majo
Doraemon (I grew up with the anime, not the manga)
To LOVE-Ru (Because Kentarou Yubaki's artstyle is impeccable)
Jun 23, 2020 8:10 AM

Jun 2010
Long before I started reading manga, I was an anime viewer. It was till the series Claymore got terminated prematurely that resulted in the story with an ambiguous ending. As I like the series so much that I decided to read the manga to continue the story.

The other series was Fairy Tail. Someone told me that I would definitely loved the series after I saw the character in it and lo and behold, after watching the first episode, I couldn't stop. It was the blue cat that attracted me, as well as the music which was so enticing that I had to continue. At the later part I decided to read the manga to get ahead of the story.

Now I become a manga reader and an anime viewer and I like both. Occasionally I also read light novels.
Jun 23, 2020 8:45 AM

Aug 2019
Doraemon and Yakusoku no Neverland
Right now I am thinking of reading Monster, Death Note and JoJo.
Jun 23, 2020 8:57 AM

Jun 2010
I love Doraemon too. I had recently been searching for it but to no avail.
Jun 23, 2020 9:59 AM

Dec 2019
I do it to some anime I watch but I don't do it alot cause I feel like it'll ruin my view of the anime
Jun 23, 2020 10:46 AM

Oct 2013
Watching Saint Seiya long ago and enjoying it so much made me pick up its manga years after.

In the last decade manga that I had read after I saw anime adaptations were definitely Elfen Lied, Kimetsu no Yaiba, GTO.
โœจSaint Seiya Club๐ŸŒ 
Jun 24, 2020 3:40 PM

Jul 2016
I don't usually read manga after seeing the anime, even if the anime doesn't fully adapt the manga despite being interested in the anime, but there are a few.

A few years back, I watched Nisekoi and Maid-sama and decided to read and finish the manga since it wasn't fully adapted, but if I watched it today, I definitely wouldn't have picked up the manga as I watched it at a time where I was still new to anime and my tastes were not as picky as they are today.

I read Happy Sugar Life, Full Moon wo Sagashite, and xxxHolic despite their stories in their anime counterpart being finished because I was curious and since Full Moon and Happy Sugar Life were pretty short, wanted to compare the manga and anime to each other since I heard that they were a little different from each other (tho it turned out Happy Sugar Life's anime was relatively the same as the manga).

I started reading Houseki no Kuni, Kamisama Kiss, and Kuragehime because I figured there wouldn't be a completed anime adaptation or that there wouldn't be one for a long time and these were anime that were so good to the point where I was DYING to know what happened next which is why I picked them up.

As for Monogatari, it was already fully adapted, but I wanted to experience it through a medium that didn't have any sort of visuals.
Jun 27, 2020 8:27 PM

Dec 2016
ah, I'm back.

Last episode of Aku no Hana basically said "Read the Manga" So i did, and it was worth it
Jun 28, 2020 3:57 AM

Mar 2012
I don't read much manga but just a few days back I started with Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau (Children of the Whales), I have already watched its anime some years back and there's still no season 2 so I ended up picking up the manga when I saw that its first 3 volumes were available for free.
Jun 28, 2020 11:06 AM

Feb 2019
Yuru Yuri. I read some chapters once in a while.
Jun 28, 2020 12:19 PM

Sep 2017
Akame ga Kill
Probably will do JoJo sometime too
ุฎ
Jun 28, 2020 12:24 PM

Aug 2018
seirei tsukai no blade dance. I read the manga after watching the anime cuz the ending of the anime wasn't that good and there isn't a season 2 nor will there ever be.

Jun 29, 2020 3:21 AM

Sep 2018
Haikyuu
Tokyo Ghoul
Maid sama
One punch man
Jun 29, 2020 2:51 PM

Apr 2015
Yes, just last night I re-read the whole Tower of God first season even though I already read it years before and while the anime was airing. Just reminds me how much better the manhwa is though and makes me annoyed at all the stupid "BaM iS a SiMp" comments popping up.

"As promised, all that you seek, all that we desire, is prepared up there. On top of the Tower."
Jun 29, 2020 8:22 PM

Dec 2010
Most of the time I watch the anime first to many manga I have read here are a few examples.

MHA
Kingdom
One Piece
Fairy Tail
Black Clover
Fruits Basket
and more
Jun 30, 2020 6:53 PM
otp haver ๐Ÿคช

Jul 2017
I usually prefer watching then reading, mostly because I like to see what they changed after the fact rather then the opposite; the mangaka isn't always in the right but lots of the time I like their vision much much more.
Jul 1, 2020 7:29 AM

Jul 2019
Haven't finished it yet but, Death Note (82 chapters)

It's so much better than the anime (anyways the anime is 10/10, just like the manga)
y'all should watch haibane renmei
Jul 2, 2020 1:46 PM

Nov 2018
If an Anime doesn't cover the entirety of the Manga of is different from the Manga and I really wanna know what happens after the end, I do try and get the Manga, one's i've bought after watching the anime adaptation being:

Akame Ga Kill
Claymore
Rosario + Vampire
No Matter How I Look at it, It's You guys fault I'm not Popular
Prison School
Deadman Wonderland
Is This a Zombie?
Sekirei
Kuroneko: Oreimo
Battle Angel: Alita [although wasn't the anime I saw, but the Live Action]

Bout the only ones that come to mind right now, there's probably a few more though...
Jul 2, 2020 4:31 PM
Aug 2019
I started reading Arte today because i really enjoyed the anime series
Jul 3, 2020 2:21 AM

Apr 2020
Hunter x hunter (got confused reading the manga so i put it on hold)
Attack on titan (still reading it, i think it will end soon lol)
Gintama (skipped to the last chapter of the manga after skipping through the anime)
Haikyuu (skipped through the anime, then skipped through the manga, currently putting the manga on hold... or maybe i will drop it)
Jojo (skipped through the anime, then dropped the manga at part 8.)
boku no hero academia (skipped through the anime, dropped the manga)

ok i think the list is very long... LOL basically i keep skipping through things and dropping them, and it usually starts with the anime first for some reason. maybe 'cuz the anime piques my interest? idk
Jul 4, 2020 10:17 AM
Aug 2008
I have a number of manga that I've done that with.

Akira
Ghost in the Shell
Rurouni Kenshin
Appleseed (I'm talking about the original OVA from 1988 here)
FMA (sorta, I watched part of FMA: Brotherhood, went and read the whole manga in it's entirety, then went back and re_watched the anime)

These I've seen, at least in part, before reading the manga. The anime counterparts thrilled me so much I wanted to go back and read their source material.
Jul 4, 2020 12:25 PM

Apr 2011
Yeah but I never finish the manga.

Jojo (my favorite manga, reading Jojolion at the moment)

Claymore
Kaiji
Detroit Metal City
Sakigake!! Otokojuku
Shingeki no Kyojin

I've finished Rainbow though.
Jul 6, 2020 1:58 AM

Aug 2010
Most of the time I don't, but there are some cases when I do read the manga after watching the anime:

- Ao no Exorcist, because I want to know the continuation
- Boku Dake ga Inai Machi, because the ending is different
- Ef, because I loved it so much. I finished the anime adaptation, read the original visual novel, and at last I read the manga adaptation of it
Jul 10, 2020 10:44 AM
Mar 2020
its the other way around for me, i sometimes check the anime adaptation and usually drop it after a couple of eps.
Jul 18, 2020 8:16 AM
Aug 2018
-Chobits
-Love Hina
-Bleach
-Gantz
-Ai Yori Aoshi
-Ayashi no Ceres
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Do you guys pick up completed axed manga.

zkl_ - Feb 28

14 by Eziprez »»
5 hours ago

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

380 by Kkulpanda »»
6 hours ago

» Have an amazing art in manga but not in anime

kirA_-_ - Apr 15

9 by Shirayukin »»
Yesterday, 6:55 PM

» Most obscure titles in your list.

Otakupervert890 - Feb 24

22 by Timeline_man »»
Yesterday, 3:20 PM

» From all the ongoing (and on hiatus) manga, you can choose only one to eventually reach a conclusion. Which one would it be?

Caciulacdlac - Apr 10

5 by nishant0 »»
Yesterday, 1:00 AM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.