Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 4, 2020 5:12 PM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Oh man, that OP song...so much nostalgia just seeing kid Taichi and Agumon. There's lot of the original characters with their partners in it too. I think there was even a glimpse of Wargreymon.

Looks like they're going back to the roots of the show with the digidevices, eggs, etc. Personally, I like the original visual style of the show so it might take some time to get used to the modern ones. (I mean, they even technologies like iphone now in this digital age) Agumon is so amusing to watch and that Greymon digi evolution is fire.
Stark700Apr 4, 2020 5:23 PM
Apr 4, 2020 6:01 PM

Oct 2008
Okay. I'll admit. As much of a hater and doubter I was at the beginning, it was actually better than I had thought. Much better. There were quite a crap ton of rather gratuitous throwbacks to the original that were a little contrived including sprites, that falling down in the OP thing and Koushiro meeting Taichi like in Our War Game and his laptop being an "upgrade". However, aside from that, the first episode was surprisingly quite original.

Firstly, the OP is no Butter-Fly. It's very generic Shonen and is pretty much the Taichi X Agumon opening with just hints of the other Chosen Children. Speaking of the OP, MetalGreymon, WarGreymon and Omegamon spoiled, so there you go. No "alternate Evolutions" like many were expecting.

The crests play a more important role from the beginning and serve as their symbols, which is kinda neat. Also, Taichi actually engages in the fight, which he kinda did in the original as well, but it's appreciated nonetheless.

Of course, it's a huge change from the original, with the premise being more akin to 02 where a shit ton of time will be spent going in and out of the Digital World, this time fighting Digimon to alleviate problems in the real world. Seems far more episodic-friendly than the original premise and less like an Adventure. In fact, it's very similar in structure to the GeGeGe no Kitaro it's replacing. Heck, we don't even meet all of the Chosen Children at the beginning and it seems that we're going to be going through a set of episodes where we first bring the team together ala Sailor Moon. Seeing the background of the poster, however, this may change. Some severe issue might necessitate a deeper trek into the Digital World.

The animation is actually surprisingly good. I don't know if they just wanted to start off with a bang (just like their Precure series) to overcompensate for their shitty tri. movies, but I highly doubt they'll be able to maintain this level of animation quality. If they save it for the big fights though, that'd be fine I suppose.

Interestingly enough, there doesn't seem to be a bank scene for the Evolutions. I'm not sure if they're going to do that every episode, as I don't think that's going to be sustainable in the slightest, but I always loved the non-bank evolution scenes like the ones in that Xros Wars episode. Still, this means no Evolution music either. Wonder how they'll make us pumped up like how Brave Heart did.

I'm actually cautiously optimistic about how this will turn out. It's actually different enough from the original that the use of the Adventure characters isn't bothering me as much as I thought it would. (Though, truthfully, there's really no reason why they couldn't have used new characters beyond attracting old fogies like me.) As-is, I'm cautiously optimistic? Still, that reference to Our War Game at the end with the US servers getting hacked had me groaning. Lord knows we need another Our War Game scenario after Summer Wars.

(Not a major point, but the change in voice actors is really jarring. Of course, that can't be helped, seeing that many of them have unfortunately passed, but it's hard to get used to it.)
Apr 4, 2020 6:01 PM

Nov 2016
I was like 3 years old when watching the original for the first time and wow, guess a reboot for such a legendary series had to happen at one point.

Start was nice, nothing great, but I will stay optimistic for now. I like that they have basically changed nothing when it comes to character designs and I'm excited to see what kind of approach this new series will follow. Tri was a disappointment for me and I hope this here will at least get a better job done at reviving the Digimon hype.

Regarding the opening, it was ok, needs to grow on me, yet I was hoping for a different version of Butterfly tbh. At least they kept the part where Taichi was falling into the Digiworld. Speaking of which, I also hope the series is going to stay true to it's name and that majority of the adventure will take place there. But I guess before we will have to round up the team first.

In any case, I will stay open minded and try to enjoy this new version for what it will have to offer instead of comparing it with childhood nostalgia.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 4, 2020 7:46 PM
Aug 2018
one of the best hands down. 90s atmosphere mixed to first 2000s ones.
perfect character design and animation
Taichi and Agumon, and best boy Koushiro
surprise at the end
this reboot is better than Tri, even though Tri was not so bad. i love all the reference to the previous movies and to the different series of this brand.
it was totally fulfilled, it surpassed my expectation
i love Digimon
Apr 4, 2020 8:03 PM

Apr 2014
Dude this is giving me so much nostalgia. Do not know why but I am excited. There is so many things that are different. But it is set in modern world network. Digital world is our network. Man this seems interesting. Not only that seeing every single character that we know seems so dang nostalgic and exciting. Looking forward to the next episode.
Apr 4, 2020 8:05 PM

Feb 2019
Hell yea let’s go!

This is my first time watching Digimon in Japanese, I grew up with the fox kids dub. Has taichi always had Boruto’s Seiyuu??

Also, was Goku’s seiyuu always the narrator for parts of the story? That’s really cool

Loved the animation and art upgrades man this feels like Digimon for a modern generation. It still has that same magic I felt as a kid watching it

So already the plot seems pretty good. Kinda feels like a mix of the movie and the first ep of the series. Really looking forward to next week. Also love how it airs at a convenient time for me.

Saturday’s will be STACKED this season with this, Yesterday, villainess, Bookworm, Arte, Kaguya and Oreigairu

ED is great too, man I’m hyped as fuck!! Lets hope it stays consistent
Marinate1016Apr 4, 2020 8:17 PM
Apr 4, 2020 8:19 PM

Oct 2015
my disappointment is immeasureable
and my day is ruined
i expected nothing
and i stilll was disappointed
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Apr 4, 2020 8:36 PM
Aug 2013
You have to come up with an open mind when watching this, especially since we come from growing up with the original. I was fortunate that Latin American dub was basically the Japanese version- so the only thing foreign to me were the names (which I learned watching the Japan dub). But I guess that had its draw backs because for me, what made Digimon so amazing was the really well scored original soundtrack along with the use of classical music pieces like Bolero and Concerto de Aranjuez.
Watching this with an open fresh mind, I can say the opening was generic- and that includes the scenes in the opening. The soundtrack in the first episode was okay, nothing fancy. I really loved Taichi's and Koshiro's first interaction. I had forgotten that Koshiro is supposed to be a really good/polite kid. I'm still going to watch but again, I'm basically pretending I've never watched Digimon in my life and I'm watching this fresh.
Apr 4, 2020 8:39 PM

Jun 2010
This was a great start. There's a real soul to it, which is exactly what I was hoping for but most fearful there wouldn't be. I'm a fan of the background music and how cinematic it felt, and while the opening theme itself will take a little to grow on me, the animation during it is fantastic.

I'll be interested to see how they deal with evolutions in the future after that unique Greymon one. Maybe they have a stock animation they'll switch to after the debut evo?
TaivusApr 5, 2020 3:09 AM
Apr 4, 2020 8:45 PM

Feb 2013
I love how a new series that was created to be a reboot of the original for a new generation of fans (so basically another kids anime on digimon adventure like it was originaly for other kids at the time, instead of focusing on the older fans like on the sequels of tri and kizuna) is being judged by other merits instead. lol
Apr 4, 2020 8:52 PM

May 2011
The reboot looks so good.

They mantained the original designs and it looks amazing but mixed with 2020s Technology.

I just hope they add a vocal song with the evolutions to pump up more the show.

But everything great so far.

The only setting in another world anime that I care about.
Apr 4, 2020 8:52 PM

Jul 2012
Hey guys, can I watch this without any information about ANYTHING? I'm completely new to this franchise. I don't even know the character names lol.
Apr 4, 2020 8:53 PM
Mar 2019
Episode 1 of Digimon Adventure: does everything right. From breathtaking animation to lovable characters, it has it all. I went into this episode with no expectations (I didn't want it to leave me disappointed like tri. did) but my gosh, it left me speechless. The episode did not waste any time (which already puts it at an advantage over the original series), everything was animated so beautifully (especially that Greymon fight - WOW) and the OST was downright amazing. I have high hopes for this series.
Apr 4, 2020 8:56 PM

Dec 2016
Mayuka said:
Hey guys, can I watch this without any information about ANYTHING? I'm completely new to this franchise. I don't even know the character names lol.

Yes, because this is a reboot. No need to have seen literally anything before. However, I strongly recommend you to try the original Adventure series (watching the sequels is optional, they're not very good) and the third entry, Tamers, which are the best ones of the franchise.
Apr 4, 2020 8:57 PM
Mar 2019
Mayuka said:
yep, you can! It contains no spoilers for the original or any other seasons so you're safe to watch it :)
Apr 4, 2020 9:00 PM

Jul 2012
Thank you both!! @wingedhope @Ferien
Apr 4, 2020 9:00 PM

May 2011
Mei-o_Scarlett said:
and my day is ruined
i expected nothing

I was hoping that it'll be good though. I find the character's decisions/actions/train of thought to be quite awkward and and unnatural so I guess this reboot isn't for me.

Goku's Seiyuu as the narrator for the next episode's preview caught me off guard though xD.
Apr 4, 2020 9:05 PM

Oct 2015
jrShark said:
Mei-o_Scarlett said:
and my day is ruined
i expected nothing

I was hoping that it'll be good though. I find the character's decisions/actions/train of thought to be quite awkward and and unnatural so I guess this reboot isn't for me.

Goku's Seiyuu as the narrator for the next episode's preview caught me off guard though xD.

for sure
tfw 84 yr old lady is still going strong and appearing in an anime every single season
jfc
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Apr 4, 2020 9:14 PM

Nov 2011
Hmm, are they actually starting this with Our War Game story line? Where's my isekai?!

Apr 4, 2020 9:15 PM

Jul 2010
Somehow it bothers me a little that these characters we know, who have already an established story and background, are "being used" in a completely different timeline with a different story. I mean, they were supposed to go altogether to the Digiworld after meeting in a camp, you know?

But putting that aside, I actually enjoyed this first episode a lot. It's so nice to have "the classic" Digimon Adventure back. I just hope the Digievolutions have a standardized animation sequence like in the old times, with the original Digievoluion theme song, and that this first one was only a preview. I mean, they have to rescue some of the original songs (it's sad the opening isn't the same one).

I also hope they don't focus too much on Taichi, since the magic in Digimon Adventure is in all its main characters. The opening and the ending barely show the other characters, and that kinda sucks.

I liked how the symbols were used from the beginning, and they kind of represent the kids. That's nice.

Next episode's called "Our War Game". That's the name of a movie. Are they going to ignore the whole "we're trapped in Digiworld and we need to learn how to adapt" storyline? That would kill the whole vibe.

Man, it will be painful waiting week after week...
Wildcat17Apr 4, 2020 9:23 PM
Apr 4, 2020 9:19 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
to start off, Digimon was my favorite show as a kid...

anyway...

so Digimon Adventure 1 meets Gridman and Megaman NT Warrior? XD

also feel like Agumon digivolved too fast

could've easily been new digi destined and a completely new series

OTHER THAN THAT

i like it, also the art and animation are really nice

Wildcat17 said:
Somehow it bothers me a little that these characters we know, who have already an established story and background, are "being used" in a completely different timeline with a different story, I mean, they were supposed to go altogether to the Digiworld after meeting in a camp, you know?

yea man... its gonna be hard to get passed this lol

@Mayuka

you never watched Digimon??

WHERE ARE YOUR CHILDHOOD????

this is absolutely NOTHING like the original

EcchiGodMamsterApr 4, 2020 9:25 PM
Apr 4, 2020 9:20 PM
Jun 2016
Mayuka said:
yes, is a reboot from the original, so is like a "new" anime
Apr 4, 2020 9:23 PM
Apr 2015
I'm not sure what I'm feeling.
First of all, the way they meet was awkward.
The fact that only 2 of the chosen were shown made me feel frustrated for sure.
I quite enjoyed the evolution scene, it kinda show us a different view of the evolution.
Who did design this digivice should be fired, wtf is it supposed to be minimalistic?
A very bad start I may say. Hope it gets better.
Apr 4, 2020 9:32 PM
Apr 2019
TOEI did the animation or Bones?
This episode was amaizing, superb animation

I Hope 50 episodes with same quality
Apr 4, 2020 9:35 PM

Nov 2018
They are evolving fast, i dont think we will see a show with 50 episodes at this rate, but i dont realy mind. They realy did remake it to the very sense of the word, huh? diferent story and all, and with gorgeous animations to boot!
Apr 4, 2020 9:43 PM

Nov 2018
prefer file island and the goofy taichi though, but they get rid the spiny-spiny awkward evolution that's cool
Apr 4, 2020 9:44 PM

Nov 2018
sogegesoge said:
prefer file island and the goofy taichi though, but they get rid the spiny-spiny awkward evolution that's cool

Hey! the insert song was cool...
Apr 4, 2020 9:47 PM

Jan 2017
I wasn't expecting much from this but it was very good, now i'm hyped.

It was very different from the original series, and that's great.

Agumon digivolving was awesome.

5/5
Apr 4, 2020 9:49 PM

Nov 2018
Tougen said:
sogegesoge said:

Hey! the insert song was cool...

of course! brave heart is legendary, but sometimes it's painful to watch the digimon spining around taking a lot of screentime lol but that greymon evolution is pretty lit!
Apr 4, 2020 9:59 PM

Dec 2010
Stark700 said:
[b]
Looks like they're going back to the roots of the show with the digidevices, eggs, etc. Personally, I like the original visual style of the show so it might take some time to get used to the modern ones. (I mean, they even technologies like iphone now in this digital age) Agumon is so amusing to watch and that Greymon digi evolution is fire.

Toei is never gonna get back to their prime of the 90s. You'll for sure see a hiccup episode along the line that will look like that infamous DBSuper boat episode.

idk why they are trying to force it to be a 2020 setting, it would give that smart kid too much tools to combat the digiverse with all the new fangle tech he didnt have back in the OG series
Apr 4, 2020 10:04 PM

Jul 2012
EcchiGodMamster said:

@Mayuka

you never watched Digimon??

WHERE ARE YOUR CHILDHOOD????

this is absolutely NOTHING like the original

I'm a Pokemon kind of girl. lol

Digimon was never on Canadian TV as far as I remember :(
Apr 4, 2020 10:33 PM
Oct 2017
The animations is just wow.
Good boy TOEI
Apr 4, 2020 11:02 PM

Jul 2010
Honestley... so so.

I liked the character design, story with bitly changes against the original one but... The sound and music did a grat difference and I miss something like the original. They were more strong.

Its just the beggining so I'll wait eps 2 n 3 and decides if I still watch or no, I'm thinking watch the "new Pokémon". Now we have time but no all time just to animes :|
Apr 4, 2020 11:17 PM
Sep 2015
I once ask Japanese R18 manga artist what studio he would like to adopt his manga, and I kinda expect a modern answer like ufotable, KyoAni, Wit, Bones, Mad House, IG, Trigger, etc.

He said 'Toei only', to my surprised I just knew that Toei is kinda like a national flagship of Japanese TV animation with 72 years of history.

And this 2020 Digimon, I'd define it as 'Digimon Adventure but with Toei learn all the lesson from all previous Digimon' like how they go to network to solve ongoing real world problem from Appmon. And they also brave enough to not use Butterfly and evolution theme song.

But as someone who love all Digimon arc, I can't help but have wild dream about this will be a one big crossover universe where we'll see characters from Tamers/Frontier/Savers/Xros/Appmon appear too, with real story that connected together and not just a fanservice like Xros Wars season 3.
Apr 4, 2020 11:23 PM

Jun 2010
The animation and everything were good. Though I'm a little disappointed at the evolutions. It also feels a bit rushed. At least the new plot and all that looks interesting so far.
Apr 4, 2020 11:24 PM

Feb 2013
Mayuka said:

Yes, I think you can. It's a reboot.

Carlho said:
TOEI did the animation or Bones?
This episode was amaizing, superb animation

I Hope 50 episodes with same quality

Toei is the studio responsible for it. The staff on this project is pretty good.

Goukenslay said:
Stark700 said:
[b]

Toei is never gonna get back to their prime of the 90s. You'll for sure see a hiccup episode along the line that will look like that infamous DBSuper boat episode.

idk why they are trying to force it to be a 2020 setting, it would give that smart kid too much tools to combat the digiverse with all the new fangle tech he didnt have back in the OG series

You have no idea what you're talking about man. Toei's pre-production and planning has been much better after DBS, with most projects after that period that had good/great staff doing very well. Which is how they were able to produce DBS Broly, which is one of the best movies and DB products, much like other projects.
Apr 5, 2020 12:02 AM
May 2017
So after all these 20 years they've decided to start from the beginning again?

I dunno man, it feels just wrong to me. I prefer a continuation way more to a reboot even if it's rubbish.
Apr 5, 2020 12:13 AM

Jul 2016
It's probably not meant for us the original fans. The lack of Brave Heart is quite bothering me. But credit where it's due, it looks good visually. Hopefully, Digimon can get new younger fans and kick ass again.
Apr 5, 2020 12:24 AM

Nov 2012
Digimon Cyber Sleuth vibes
Apr 5, 2020 12:26 AM

Dec 2014
otterman965 said:
It's probably not meant for us the original fans. The lack of Brave Heart is quite bothering me. But credit where it's due, it looks good visually. Hopefully, Digimon can get new younger fans and kick ass again.

I didn't have much expectations for it and didn't think I would like it, but I FUCKING LOVE IT, as Digimon Fan from the past.

They did everything so well in the first episode it's unbelievable that this show that I lost all interest actually captured said interest after so many years.

Also for the people complaining it's not just the same story, you are fucking retarded.
Apr 5, 2020 1:36 AM

Jul 2016
Venumidas said:
otterman965 said:

I didn't have much expectations for it and didn't think I would like it, but I FUCKING LOVE IT, as Digimon Fan from the past.

They did everything so well in the first episode it's unbelievable that this show that I lost all interest actually captured said interest after so many years.

Also for the people complaining it's not just the same story, you are fucking retarded.

It's good in its own right. Just need that killer soundtrack like Brave Heart and Butterfly!
Apr 5, 2020 1:40 AM
Mar 2011
+animation was cool
+ dragon mama as narrator
- everything else
4/10

I will stick with the OG show, sorry
Apr 5, 2020 1:43 AM
Jun 2017
I am in elementary days when i havs started watching this original digimon and guess what we have a reboot version. I miss my childhood days because of this one. Yeah.

Taichi x agumon. Yeah..

I even remember during that time i have a Agumon toy. Yeah
Apr 5, 2020 1:52 AM
Jul 2016
It definitely feels like they’re going with Mamoru Hosoda’s take on the Digital World. I’m happy to see a different approach. The next episode even looks like they’re gonna tackle Our War Game. I’m really curious as to how they’re going to approach tone overall.
Apr 5, 2020 2:00 AM

Jul 2017
I've never seen a single Digimon nor Pokemon episode in my entire life before this, so this episode was the first time I've ever experienced Digimon in any medium.

And even when I've never seen it, I still feel a sense of nostalgia from watching a show like this. Nostalgia related to other shows I generally saw as a kid, especially when seeing how Taichi was in this episode. So in a way, this was refreshing in some weird way.

Whilst I wouldn't say it was good at all in most aspects, and I wouldn't know how it compares to the original, I'm glad I at least gave this an opportunity. Just to experience Digimon in some way. And who knows, maybe when I figure out what to do, may check out a Pokemon anime too one day.
animejasApr 5, 2020 2:09 AM
Apr 5, 2020 2:02 AM

Oct 2019
Holy crap, they remake this. Dem nostalgia the first isekai in anime history. I though the story would be still the same like back in 90s but it isn't.
Apr 5, 2020 2:55 AM

Feb 2013
Interesting so far, I like the way it started more than the original one.
Apr 5, 2020 2:58 AM
Aug 2017
I was expecting to shit on this, the adventure focus in the past 5 years had really gotten to me and caused me to have disdain for anything related to it.
But I can't lie, that was the best first episode Digimon has ever had, Good pacing, takes time to introduce the characters, well animated, fights are already on par with the best ones in the entirety of the first 2 seasons, in spite of my fears due to the last two seasons not episodic, it's a continuing story through multiple episodes, the Network also looks less like the AR Field from Appmon and EDEN from Cyber Sleuth than I expected, the preview shows we're going to the digital world, and it shows we're gonna be seeing the Argomon we're familiar with from the Savers movie, current plot and the "War Game" name of next episode is a clear throwback to Our War Game, but they opted to use Argomon instead of Diaboromon.

OP looked really nice and shows promise in that there were digimon who don't really get spotlight these days like Golemon and Snimon or some who we've basically never seen in anime like Allomon and Stegomon.

I came in expecting to hate it and came out loving it. the curse of the even numbered seasons being bad has been broken, what is life.
Apr 5, 2020 3:04 AM

Oct 2017
Nostalgia at it's best, Digimon and Beyblade were the very first animes I watched. I was really surprised and happy when this was announced, glad to see kid Taichi again.

This was a great first episode. We already saw Greymon in action and I simply loved watching the duo back. Hoping to enjoy the rest of the series.
Apr 5, 2020 3:19 AM

May 2017
Hmm not sure how to feel about this. Boruto's VA for Taichi and the old grandma Goku VA for Agumon.. kinda putting me off not gonna lie why couldn't they keep agumon's va from the TRI movies..

ED is cool
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Digimon Adventure: Episode 7 Discussion

Ishkoten - Jul 18, 2020

24 by lucsxcx »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Digimon Adventure: Episode 58 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 24, 2021

20 by StormxNightmare »»
Apr 18, 5:22 PM

Poll: » Digimon Adventure: Episode 57 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2021

24 by StormxNightmare »»
Apr 18, 5:04 PM

Poll: » Digimon Adventure: Episode 56 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 10, 2021

26 by StormxNightmare »»
Apr 18, 4:49 PM

Poll: » Digimon Adventure: Episode 55 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 3, 2021

34 by StormxNightmare »»
Apr 18, 4:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.