Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 10, 2020 6:42 PM
Mar 2012
Cool action & villain design, but seen too many book themed shows that crash & burn.
This preservation story, basically Grimms Notes & ToukenRanbu also bit interesting, but episode itself jumps around a lot.
Apr 11, 2020 5:48 AM

Jun 2015
Not sure what I just watched. My best guess however, is a story writer has dropped a ton of acid and this is his story.
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Apr 11, 2020 10:40 AM

Jun 2013
I like the concept of entering a book and the characters are too pretty and kind of distracting. Overall, it was just okay. I'll probably try to finish it without dropping but we'll see.
臭い-
Apr 11, 2020 11:31 AM

Jul 2019
I kinda wanted to go back to work when watching this. At least I would have gotten paid.
Apr 11, 2020 1:36 PM
Jul 2016
I'd say 4 out of 5 for this premise as this is about one soul's involvement towards the plot itself. Touken Ranbu may look similar but I feel that Touken Ranbu is a bit... something's bothering me lol.
While BnA is that the author is involved directly to the plot, this is unique to this series.
Apr 12, 2020 5:21 AM
Feb 2014
So, i watched the first episode and it was a bit confusing, so i ended up watching it twice(though maybe i was just tired when i watched it.) I didn't expect the writers to take on the role of their character in the book, that's quite interesting. However, the bullshit at the end about
Really cut my enjoyed by 50% because that's definitely NOT how it's in the game at all!!! In the game you

I don't know why they felt the need to change that in the anime, at this point, i suspect that it was a deliberate translation change made by Funimation since they have been known to change the script/dialogue of their dubs in the past, i remember all the shitty american slang they added to the Karneval dub which definitely WAS not there in the original!!! So, them having started doing this to subs as well wouldn't surprise me, this is the only reasonable explanation i can find for this.

Also, those saying shit about Bungo to Alchemist, in general, the anime is based on a game franchise by DMM games where you take on the role of a powerful alchemist who's job it is to bring back to life famous historical writers(Mostly Japanese, but writers from other Countries have started being introduced recently) to fight against the taints(monsters who want to erase all the literature of the world and with that, the existance of the authors and their works from history and peoples memory!!!).

So, in the game, you build a party of 4 writers and send them inside the books which have become corroded by the taints to stop them from further destroying the book and restoring it to normal.

The characters are all based on real life historical Japanese writers and, unlike other similar franchises that use the writers, Bungo to Alchemist does a lot of research when making the characters, making sure that they are as close to the real life writers(personality and character wise) as possible!!!

They aren't just the writer in name, but pretty much how the real life writer would act/behave/think as well!!!
DauphineApr 12, 2020 5:24 AM
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Apr 12, 2020 10:49 AM

Jun 2007
I guess I'll wait for reviews popping up after this finished airing.
The first episode gave me a strong vibe of: "Let's try to sell this below-average story by slapping some famous author's names on it."
Apr 12, 2020 12:03 PM

Nov 2009
The desciption sounded kinda promising, but no thank you, I have no use for a discount Touken Ranbu.
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Apr 12, 2020 2:33 PM

Mar 2020
My head is spinning from all the world information they had to cram into a 24 minute time frame... After taking a minute to wrap my head around everything, I like the concept. There are some other questions I have that will probably be answered as more episodes air. I didn't find out about the game or the connection to Bungou Stray Dogs until after I started watching it, so I'm diving in head first as a total noob!
Apr 13, 2020 4:33 AM

Jan 2015
Aww, its so cute, so many people remember Bungou stray dogs or watched it because of it. I'm so blessed to be in community with such loyal Bungou stray dogs individuals! I would have given you all some well done stickers if i had one :(

Seygneur said:
I kinda wanted to go back to work when watching this. At least I would have gotten paid.

Hahaha. Destroyed the anime and flexed at the same time. Splendid, i love it.

Apr 13, 2020 6:43 AM

Jul 2019
MicheleCostOwna said:
Aww, its so cute, so many people remember Bungou stray dogs or watched it because of it. I'm so blessed to be in community with such loyal Bungou stray dogs individuals! I would have given you all some well done stickers if i had one :(

Seygneur said:

Hahaha. Destroyed the anime and flexed at the same time. Splendid, i love it.

Praise the toxicity! \o/
But in all seriousness, they did not bother to put any exposition in there for the greater part of the episode. Why would I want to know more, if it concerns itself with fans of the franchise only? A clishé narrator describing the world setting would have been better.
Apr 14, 2020 7:36 AM
Jan 2019
as the first ep, it's not bad,
just waiting for the rest of the episodes, I don't want to be urgent.
the ep is good.
Apr 17, 2020 10:21 AM
Jul 2015
This was just so bad that I didn't make through the whole episode. A good animation and beautiful characters can't save this.
Apr 19, 2020 8:04 PM

Sep 2007
Like a few others...I really like the animation but....the plot is lost on me... ( I mean I understand the premise that they're trying to prevent the events of the book from being changed... but I don't event know what the original book's events are....)

Maybe if I was actually familiar with these authors and books they are referencing to I might enjoy this more but I totally don't.....and looking at the list of characters that will be in the series later....I'm afraid I'm gonna have to save myself the headache and drop this :(
(My avatar is an original creation-please don't take it)
Apr 28, 2020 12:18 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
It was average I think but not horrible
May 1, 2020 1:14 PM

Dec 2019
The show seems alright, but i had no idea what was happening for the majority of the episode haha
May 15, 2020 8:50 AM

May 2019
My favourite part was when Yamatonokami told Kiyomitsu... oh wait, that's a different series.

This was pretty bad. The info was all over the place and there was no sense of tension at all. Besides the show does that obnoxious thing of making their characters shout whenever they feel like writing a "funny" moment.

2/10 wouldn't watch it again. The only good thing was the opening which is pretty good.

Jul 7, 2020 1:11 AM

Oct 2017
Interesting premise, exploring the world inside books is sure fun. Thou this gives me a shoujo anime vibe.
Aug 20, 2020 1:19 AM

Jul 2015
Already wondered halfway through the episode why the Run melos story is so different. Kinda reminds me of Touken Ranbu only of the book world, curious to see what other famous writers and books they will save from the Taints

Dec 2, 2020 11:02 AM

Jun 2015
Good thing I watched Aoi Bungaku Series first. It helped a lot.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
May 31, 2021 9:18 PM
Oct 2019
is this a comedy? i ask because dazai had me cracking up a few times. and not in a bad way. it was genuinely entertaining to me. but it caught me off guard as i thought this was going to be more serious/high brow/intelligent? haha

interesting premise. this might be good

7/10 start
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bungou to Alchemist: Shinpan no Haguruma Episode 13 Discussion

KANLen09 - Aug 7, 2020

17 by BrokenCord83 »»
Jul 9, 2021 2:10 AM

» Real BungoSD or something else?

MOna-Dazai - Jan 29, 2020

7 by bakarikuzu »»
Jun 26, 2021 2:50 PM

Poll: » Bungou to Alchemist: Shinpan no Haguruma Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - May 29, 2020

14 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Dec 15, 2020 10:24 AM

Poll: » Bungou to Alchemist: Shinpan no Haguruma Episode 12 Discussion

Discordia - Jul 31, 2020

5 by Unkrowned »»
Aug 20, 2020 6:27 AM

Poll: » Bungou to Alchemist: Shinpan no Haguruma Episode 11 Discussion

Ashhk - Jul 24, 2020

3 by Unkrowned »»
Aug 20, 2020 6:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.