Forum Settings
Forums

Who is the anime character that you considered as the most edgy yet badly done?

New
Mar 19, 2020 1:33 AM
Jul 2018
I'm just curious of who is the character that in your opinion, you considered as edgy and horribly written at the same time.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 19, 2020 1:42 AM

Apr 2019
Ken Kaneki. The best edgelord of all time.
Mar 19, 2020 1:47 AM
Jul 2018
I don't like Shigaraki from MAH if that counts.
Mar 19, 2020 1:56 AM

Dec 2017
Almost all edgy characters are horribly written.
❝Kabo-chan is ran by the MAL staff team and does not respond to individual comments made on her profile.❞
I was immensely devastated.
Mar 19, 2020 2:01 AM
Jul 2018
Vague0 said:

Tell me ten of them. At least the easiest example in your opinion.
Mar 19, 2020 2:06 AM
Mar 2019
Naofumi. I guess. I mean the portrayal of his character was that he became an edgelord. This didn't work out
Mar 19, 2020 2:31 AM

Jul 2016
The kid from that one isekai where he's in a cave with a CG bear, gets his arm munched. What was that one called?
Mar 19, 2020 2:33 AM

Jun 2011
Sasuke. I remember I didn't like this guy at all.
Mar 19, 2020 2:34 AM

Apr 2019
A_Sad_Dust_Cloud said:
The kid from that one isekai where he's in a cave with a CG bear, gets his arm munched. What was that one called?

Arifureta: From Commonplace to World's Strongest?
Mar 19, 2020 2:35 AM

Jul 2016
A_Sad_Dust_Cloud said:

The mc from arifureta,Hajime Nagumo.
Mar 19, 2020 2:35 AM
Jul 2018
A_Sad_Dust_Cloud said:

Unfortunately i also forgot his name.
Mar 19, 2020 2:37 AM

Jul 2016
ShadowBladeX said:
A_Sad_Dust_Cloud said:

Missaliensan said:
A_Sad_Dust_Cloud said:

ManOfBalance said:
A_Sad_Dust_Cloud said:

That'll do it. Cheers you three....
Mar 19, 2020 2:40 AM
Jul 2018
A_Sad_Dust_Cloud said:
ShadowBladeX said:

Missaliensan said:

ManOfBalance said:

That'll do it. Cheers you three....

Uehehehe.... thankyou so much you guys.
Mar 19, 2020 3:03 AM

Jul 2019
Mar 19, 2020 3:11 AM

Jul 2013
I guess I would say Shigaraki.. He was pretty boring.

I can't consider Hajime from Arifureta a "edgelord" cause his behavior is more exaggerated than normal ones. It's more chunni like than anything else.

Almost as if he is one
GalacticMagnaMar 19, 2020 3:15 AM

Mar 19, 2020 3:18 AM
Jul 2018
Vague0 said:

Absolutely.
But the Arifureta guy took the crown so far. He is absolutely hilarious.

EpicSaxGirl said:

Even if I hadn't seen it at all, I have seen a bunch of episodes here and there over the years, and even I was annoyed by his edginess. Even if wondered why Naruto won't let him finally down, if he is that much of an asshole and is going on for hundreds of episodes.

Otherwise I like more reserved and a BIT of assholey characters too (really depends on the situation and how they are written), if they have other sides to them as well and don't go over the top with edginess and actually change that over time. You know, doing dumb stuff like caring for anyone else than yourself for once or not thinking it's funny / whatever, if people die or being grateful for once. Stuff like that, I dunno.
Mar 19, 2020 3:20 AM

Mar 2012

You can go and start watching Divine Gate.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Mar 19, 2020 3:32 AM
Jul 2018
NeoAnkara said:

Well, judging by the rating of divine gate, it looks like your word are right my friend.
Mar 19, 2020 3:37 AM

Jan 2020
Vague0 said:

I agree, if you consider character "edgy", it probably means that he sucks
My youtube channel about music and anime :
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_rrNoYApg1VQ-PIT7jZ37Q
Mar 19, 2020 3:37 AM
Jul 2018
NeoAnkara said:

That's hilarious and as corny and cheesy as that one funniest quote I found in a ya book.

*angst intensifies* :D
Mar 19, 2020 3:42 AM
Jul 2018
Maneki-Mew said:
NeoAnkara said:

That's hilarious and as corny and cheesy as that one funniest quote I found in a ya book.

Oh my GOD! What is that even mean. That quote tries to be cool and deep, but it ends up cringe-worthy, confusing, and even laughable.
Mar 19, 2020 4:08 AM

Jan 2010
Probably Kaneki, the most popular edgelord.
(and like 99% of characters in TG tbh)
Mar 19, 2020 4:08 AM
Jul 2018
ManOfBalance said:
Maneki-Mew said:

Oh my GOD! What is that even mean. That quote tries to be cool and deep, but it ends up cringe-worthy, confusing, and even laughable.

That's why I stopped back then buying ya books, just because the dresses on the covers were beautiful... or because the covers were beautiful in general. I swear, so many girls buying shitty books, just because they are drawn to the dresses on the cover lol.
Mar 19, 2020 4:31 AM

Aug 2018
Ken Kaneki.He is worshipped by edgelords as their Jesus.I don't know about the manga version but anime version doesn't explain anything.He is edgy for the sake of being edgy.Emo Kaneki from Root A and Black Reaper are the most edgiest versions of Kaneki.
Mar 19, 2020 4:31 AM
Jul 2018
Maneki-Mew said:
ManOfBalance said:

That's why I stopped back then buying ya books, just because the dresses on the covers were beautiful... or because the covers were beautiful in general. I swear, so many girls buying shitty books, just because they are drawn to the dresses on the cover lol.

Yep, that is accurately very true lol.
Mar 19, 2020 4:32 AM
Jul 2018
Shicchi said:
Probably Kaneki, the most popular edgelord.
(and like 99% of characters in TG tbh)

Yep, That is very much true. Kaneki = KanEDGY.
Mar 19, 2020 4:36 AM
Jul 2018
sonofbatmanrp13 said:
Ken Kaneki.He is worshipped by edgelords as their Jesus.I don't know about the manga version but anime version doesn't explain anything.He is edgy for the sake of being edgy.Emo Kaneki from Root A and Black Reaper are the most edgiest versions of Kaneki.

XD XD XD XD XD!!!! The way you speak the truth (and the truth that you speak itself) is capable to make me laugh REALLY HARD, because these are accurately true!!
Mar 19, 2020 4:46 AM

Jun 2019
Maneki-Mew said:

*angst intensifies* :D [/quote]

Now I get curious, can you disclose the name of this book? It's a common fact that LN are made with random phrases and packed up with beautiful colors. I am almost certain that LN writers developed a similar tool as this website: Write your own math paper

Otherwise, there is a show full of edgy characters but the MC: Mirai Nikki. Ousama game works too.
MeusnierMar 19, 2020 4:51 AM
Mar 19, 2020 6:08 AM

Sep 2018
A tiny list of Characters that try to hard to the point its almost laughable.

Kirito
Mikasa
Levi
Yuno
Keneki

Those are just the top of the iceberg tho. Some of them are fun to watch but all of them are badly written imo.
Mar 19, 2020 6:24 AM
Jul 2018
Meusnier said:

Now I get curious, can you disclose the name of this book? It's a common fact that LN are made with random phrases and packed up with beautiful colors. I am almost certain that LN writers developed a similar tool as this website: Write your own math paper

Shatter Me. No japanese light novel, just a young adult fantasy romance and not a good one, imo. I was dumb and bought it, because I was like 16 and the dress on the cover was beautiful lol.

ManOfBalance said:
sonofbatmanrp13 said:

XD XD XD XD XD!!!! The way you speak the truth (and the truth that you speak itself) is capable to make me laugh REALLY HARD, because these are accurately true!!

If you speak of being a worshipped edgelord, then I must automatically think of Hachiman from Oregairu, although I think many people just misunderstand what the series and his characters are about a lot.
I don't think that his edginess is presented as something good from the series actual point of view, or as something desirable to achieve for your own.
He is just a lonely boy with no friends and since he doesn't really know how to approach to people, he is jealous of those, who are living a life he wants to live.
I've seen it so many times in real people, who are covering themselves in edginess and trying to tell themselves that people are shit anyway, because they don't want to recognize that maybe, it's their own fault (too). Or they are scared of getting close to people and look for excuses to avoid them.
He even gets character development and slowly gets better, so for me it's a proof that it doesn't want to be edgy as a good thing.
But you know, the edgelords see this more often as weakness of the series than as an actual strength of the series and his character development.
Anyway, that guy is just the definition of teenage edge to me lol.

About Ken Kaneki: it comes across as kinda shallow to me, when the message is "it's not me, who is the problem, it's the others", when you are a fucking ghoul and people have every logical reason and right to be afraid of you.
removed-userMar 19, 2020 6:38 AM
Mar 19, 2020 6:46 AM

Sep 2019
Shigaraki. The guy has so little screentime and barely had any character development.

Wandering Witch is the best light novel ever!
Mar 19, 2020 7:38 AM
Jul 2018
Maneki-Mew said:
NeoAnkara said:

Which reminds me of this:

Are anime edgelords worse than Anakin?
Mar 19, 2020 7:57 AM

Feb 2016
Surprised I haven't seen the crème de la crème "I got bullied and thrown out of a window so I'll kill my whole class" Nishi himself pop up yet. Gantz doesn't have amazing writing nor does it have good enough material that outweighs the bad or questionable. But this guy. He makes an impression on you right away. Talks a huge game, thinks he's the best, calls other people Homo sapiens (because of course he does), and then he acts all pathethic as soon as he's backed into a corner. The guy tries way too hard, but when push comes to shove, he's a fruitcake.
Doing nothing of importance.

Anime | Manga
Mar 19, 2020 8:01 AM

Aug 2018
Shield Hero's Naofumi is the worst written edgelord I've seen in anime. I hate the way he turns from a typical, generic, nice guy MC to an angst-filled victim with OP powers activated by anger. -all because 1 person in his life told a lie about him. Poor baby!
Mar 19, 2020 9:23 AM

Jun 2019
Maneki-Mew said:
Meusnier said:

Shatter Me. No japanese light novel, just a young adult fantasy romance and not a good one, imo. I was dumb and bought it, because I was like 16 and the dress on the cover was beautiful lol.

Thank you for your answer. "young adult fantasy romance" isn't this the definition of a western light novel? No need to insult yourself, tastes hopefully change for the best bringing a natural hatred for average stuff aimed at young people.

Another list of names:

Tokishima Haruto (Valvrave)
Ouma Shuu (Guilty Crown)
Masamune (Masamune-kun no Revenge)
Solork Ikta (Nejimaki Seirei Senki: Tenkyou no Alderamin)
Fujii Natsuo (Domestic na Kanojo)

Is it me or all bad anime have such a MC?
Mar 19, 2020 9:29 AM
Apr 2017
Death note's raito, and it's not even close. Even more hilarious ocnsidering how many somehow don't see it as some edgy teen nonsense but some incredibly deep AnImuH.

Close second would be arifureta's...mc, whatever his name is. Overall quality is garbage but compared to DN the latter at least is self-aware as to how hilariously edgy it is. Well, mostly self-aware, at least.
"The problem with defining even an aspect of your personality by something that you like, is that criticism of that product appears to you to be criticism of you personally. I find it to be a very harmful attitude, [...] you can't rationally discuss a product because you've started to define yourself by its very existence."

John Bain
Mar 19, 2020 10:56 AM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Katsushit from BnHA is a boring, insufferable, and edgy rival. Funny how people trash on Sasuke yet praise this dude. Sasuke lost his entire clan from a young age, which at least explains his behavior and he was decent in part 2 of naruto. Katsushit is an annoying brat who's suffering from a severe case of anal devastation because the guy he used to torment surpassed him. Hopefully, he dies like the little bitch he is.
Mar 19, 2020 11:02 AM

Dec 2019
Ima go with Shigaraki too, everything about him is boring and kinda cringy plus ugly.
                                                         πŸ–€   

Mar 20, 2020 7:03 AM

Dec 2019
Naofumi from Shield Hero, I get it that he cannot trust people anymore because of what Bitch did to him but as the story progresses he just comes of as edgy while the story itself devolves to your typical copy-paste isekai.
Mar 20, 2020 7:13 AM

Dec 2008
Rob Lucci. This idiot used to be cool, not anymore. He smells like Fairy Tail shit.
Mar 20, 2020 8:17 AM

May 2009
dictator Shu from that one arc in Guilty Crown

seriously wtf
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Mar 20, 2020 8:33 AM

Apr 2010
Mikado (Durarara) eppeically 2nd season.

Mar 20, 2020 8:49 AM

Oct 2019
Tomura Shigaraki. He sorely lacking in the aesthetic of edgy.
Mar 20, 2020 8:57 AM

Jul 2019
I'd like to know if people think Light is a well or not well written edgelord specifically. I feel like he decides to kill criminals with very lazy motivations.
Mar 20, 2020 9:12 AM

Feb 2010
Idk, someone like the School Days MC or Yuno from Mirai Nikki or maybe the Guilty Crown MC. Or like 70% of all characters in Akame ga Kill. All of these are perfect examples of being edgy in a negative sense, their whole shows but especially the characters in question.

Most others people have mentioned are quite alright compared to them if you ask me. Kaneki or Sasuke are not among my favorite chars either but they're still better written and have more to them than Guilty Crown or Akame ga Kill characters imo.
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 20, 2020 9:54 AM

Nov 2016
Ayanokouji, watching him was so cringe inducing, especially during the last episode.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 20, 2020 10:04 AM

Apr 2014
This guy from Angels of Death, horrible show and horrible character, same with the other main.

Mar 20, 2020 11:17 AM

Jan 2019
Definitely Ken Kaneki.
He's all edgy and moody in season 2, but has that "I'm a little b*tch" vibe about him.
"Whether you're sad, you're hurt, or empty, you have to keep playing."

Mar 20, 2020 11:31 AM

Jun 2019
EpicSaxGirl said:

Even though Sasuke is one of my favorite characters the way he is now, I understand what you're saying. I thought he was pretty hard to deal with during the series as well.

Mar 21, 2020 5:27 AM
Jul 2018
Meusnier said:
Maneki-Mew said:

Thank you for your answer. "young adult fantasy romance" isn't this the definition of a western light novel? No need to insult yourself, tastes hopefully change for the best bringing a natural hatred for average stuff aimed at young people.

No, I mean why...? I still like some of these genres and I think it's only looking down on, because they are "girly" genres. Some of these are good imo.
But I knew THIS book will be bad. I just wanted to read it, because a friend wanted to read it and I liked the cover haha

MeisterDM said:
Katsushit from BnHA is a boring, insufferable, and edgy rival. Funny how people trash on Sasuke yet praise this dude. Sasuke lost his entire clan from a young age, which at least explains his behavior and he was decent in part 2 of naruto. Katsushit is an annoying brat who's suffering from a severe case of anal devastation because the guy he used to torment surpassed him. Hopefully, he dies like the little bitch he is.

I don't know, if he's not well-done, but he is personality-wise still one of the most annoying and off-putting characters to me.

Milk_is_Special said:
This guy from Angels of Death, horrible show and horrible character, same with the other main.

Absolutely agree. I hate this "sympathizing with a psychopath, because he had a tragic childhood(tm)"-trope.
But he is nothing compared to Lucy from Elfen Lied, the biggest edgequeen in history to me.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Would you be surprised if someone said your favorite anime was the greatest anime of all time? ( 1 2 )

MeanMrMusician - Mar 28

56 by alshu »»
3 minutes ago

» What's an anime that didn't meet your expectations, and what's an anime that exceeded them? ( 1 2 )

JKKH - Jul 18, 2022

58 by bucciest »»
4 minutes ago

» When was the last time you felt happy/satisfied after watching an anime episode? :)

Rinrinka - Mar 27

15 by bucciest »»
17 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts.

Pinoffin - Today

47 by Pinoffin »»
19 minutes ago

» Favorite characters you think are Sadist, Masochist, or Switch

IpreferEcchi - Today

6 by IpreferEcchi »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.