Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 7, 2020 5:37 PM
Sep 2018
I was surprised by Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches. I was expecting generic a herm but I got a kinda neat mystery and a not so generic herm. That op absolutely SLAPS btw!

https://myanimelist.net/anime/28677/Yamada-kun_to_7-nin_no_Majo_TV?q=yam
“It is my perception that a true friend never relies on another's dream. A person with the potential to be my true friend must be able to find his reason for life without my help. And, he would have to put his heart and soul into protecting his dream. He would never hesitate to fight for his dream, even against me.”

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Mar 7, 2020 5:43 PM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
I did not expect to enjoy outbreak company or gate as much as I did.
Mar 7, 2020 5:45 PM

Aug 2018
I never expected Hinamatsuri to be so...wholesome.
Mar 7, 2020 6:45 PM

Aug 2018
epidemia78 said:

On top of wholesome, it was hilarious! I didn't think it'd be that funny going into it.

Made in Abyss: Didn't know anything about it heading in. The art of the world, the characters, and music had me hooked. The anime just had this really mysterious and appealing feel to it that I thoroughly enjoyed.
Violet Evergarden: Netflix auto play showed me the way. Is it melodramatic? Absolutely, but I didn't expect to become that emotionally invested in the story. The animation and OST were superb too.
Haikyuu: Again, auto play got me to watch it. Though I played a different sport, it reminded me of my time as a student athlete more so than any other sports anime I've ever watched.
Zombieland Saga: Don't really know why I started watching it. Idol stuff doesn't really interest me. Ending up staying for the likable cast of characters.
Mar 7, 2020 7:05 PM

Aug 2018
BigAristotle94 said:
epidemia78 said:

On top of wholesome, it was hilarious! I didn't think it'd be that funny going into it.

Yes, that too. Definitely. On a related note, Mikakunin de Shinkoukei was unexpectedly hilarious.
Mar 7, 2020 10:00 PM
Apr 2017
AOT
i know it was good but i didn't think it will be my number 1 anime
Claymore was my number 1 and i didn't think any anime will beat it
Mar 7, 2020 10:06 PM
Jul 2018
Interspecies Reviewers. Genuinely one of the best comedies I've seen in a while. I'm not really a fan of ecchi as a genre, because the writing almost always falls completely flat. But the show fleshes out so many details behind absurd concepts, that I can't help but respect it. Helps that character interactions are engaging too.
Mar 7, 2020 11:17 PM
Nov 2018
clannad for sure at first i was like "itsss aighhtttt" so i dropped it for a while. couple months go by i give it another shot and holy moly that shit was good asffff. the second season is a masterpiece !!!!!!
Mar 8, 2020 12:01 AM

Jul 2019
Pretty much every sports anime I've ever watched (Haikyuu, Free, Kuroko no Basket, Slam Dunk, Run with the wind, Yuri on ICE, Ballroom e Youkoso (yes, this one counts too)). I'm not a big fan of sport in general, so I was presently surprised by how much I enjoyed them.
NikiforovaMar 9, 2020 5:22 AM
Mar 8, 2020 1:38 AM

Jan 2014
Zombie Land Saga surprised me, it's rare I enjoy the idol based shows or whatever the term shows like this fall under

Mar 9, 2020 5:20 AM

Apr 2011
I enjoyed more than I thought I'd:

Made in Abyss
Mob Psycho 100
Dorohedoro
Samurai Champloo
Kuroko no Basket
Berserk 2017
IKKIsamaMar 9, 2020 5:31 AM
Mar 9, 2020 5:24 AM
Jul 2018
Hunter x Hunter i thought it was just one of those basic long shounens so i dropped it a lot until i finally decided to just push through. im glad i did.
another one is beastars like wow that surprised me
Mar 9, 2020 5:25 AM
Apr 2019
ReLife
3-gatsu No Lion
Oregairu

when I started I thought it was just good enough but when I finished I had a feeling I'm watching something wonderful,,,
Mar 9, 2020 5:31 AM

Apr 2013
Boku no Hero Academia and Ore Monogatari

I expected a cliche shounen with the usual character archetypes in BnHA, but was pleasantly surprised about the interesting story and fun characters. Ore Monogatari was also very enjoyable, despite me usually not thinking much about romance shows.
Mar 9, 2020 5:50 AM

Jun 2019
FireRifle64 said:
I think mine was JJBA, when I first saw the show, the art style was "different" to me. But after a while I began to like the characters. Granted, half the series is great while the other half design choices are questionable.

I'd agree with you. I started watching JoJo's Bizarre Adventure last week when it landed on Netflix UK. I wasn't sure quite what to expect with the different visual technique & very excitable characters, but it's surprisingly good.
Mar 9, 2020 6:23 AM

Aug 2018
school days was surprisingly not terrible, not good either
Maloween 2020 candies

Main candies:

Mar 9, 2020 6:23 AM

Aug 2018
school days was surprisingly not terrible, not good either
Maloween 2020 candies

Main candies:

Mar 9, 2020 1:10 PM

Dec 2019
Naruto, actually?

When it first came out and in the first years after that, it was kind of... childish. Heartwarming at points, sure, but nothing special about it. I watched from the sidelines how it first became really popular and then really hated and then a "classic" or something everyone has seen, whether they loved or hated it.

It really evolved into an anime I could enjoy watching, even though I started watching it yeaaars later when I was far from being a child. Would not have expected that, especially since I knew its reputation before I had seen more than an episode or two. So I wasn't very keen on giving it a try at all. :P
♥️
Mar 9, 2020 8:28 PM

Oct 2012
Beastars. I had no idea I'd love it so much
Mar 9, 2020 8:47 PM

Aug 2010
Usagi Drop, Durarara!!! and Ascendance of a Bookworm completely surprised me in a good way because I started watching knowing almost nothing about these animes.

Happy Sugar Life was recommended by a friend and when I started watching I thought it was bad because of its shit animation and edgy plot. Turns out the plot isn't really that good, but it is very creative in storytelling and keeps your attention and concerns in the right scenes. A great surprise.
Mar 9, 2020 8:53 PM

Aug 2015
Daily lives of high school boys!
Generally hate slice of life shows but this one was really funny, i enjoyed every second of it.
Definitely a pleasant surprise.
Mar 9, 2020 11:30 PM
Mar 2020
Seishun Buta Yarou. Expected to be a generic ecchi anime which I hate but my friends strongly suggest to give it a shot.

Loved the story and how fleshed out the characters are.Plot was interesting enough to follow but I looked forward to the character interactions than the plot. The EDs are a banger too lol

Honestly did not think I was going to like this show but here I am still contemplating on if I should buy this Kaede poster haha

But yeah it's worth a watch I give it 8/10
Mar 10, 2020 12:10 AM

Aug 2018
Haikyuu, Diamond no Ace and Kuroko no basket. Those three anime surprised me
γ€π•·π–Žπ–‹π–Š π–Žπ–˜ π–˜π–Žπ–’π–•π–‘π–Š. π–‹π–—π–ž, π–—π–Šπ–’π–”π–›π–Š, π–™π–π–Šπ–“ π–‰π–—π–†π–Žπ–“γ€‘
Mar 10, 2020 1:26 AM
Aug 2017
Haikyuu really surprised me when I watched it. I was expecting it to be a bit of shallow fun, but then it genuinely touched my heart with all of its amazing characters, stellar animation, killer OST and all of its heart!

Kaguya-sama also surprised me too. I was thinking that the joke of them both refusing to confess would get old rather quickly, but the writing is so damn good I just kept coming back! I never thought that Kaguya-sama would make me laugh one episode, and cry the next.
Mar 10, 2020 1:59 AM

Oct 2015
HeruruMeruru said:
Digimon Universe Appli Monsters: It started out pretty formulaic and goofy, but the climax was excellent and on par with classic Digimon. I would say it's the third best Digimon series after Tamers and Adventure.

This! It had its flaws but the plot had some interesting turning points. Its definitely one of the best Digimon Seasons imo.

ysphyr said:
Planet With. Didn’t expect anything from this anime, but it turned out to be so refreshing and enjoyable! All characters are extremely likable, even the antagonist. Highly recommend it to anyone.

I dont know what was about it, but i started watching it while there were only 6 episodes. I binged them in one night because i could not stop watching it and i did not even know why.

Major was another surprising anime for me, went in completely blind and without even knowing how to play baseball. Has a lot of drama and baseball, loved the character development. Ended up crying many times throughout every season.
Mar 10, 2020 2:06 AM

Mar 2015
Tsuritama. Was expecting to be bored like I usually am with SOL anime, ended up becoming one of my favorites.
Mar 11, 2020 9:05 PM
Jan 2020
there are tons, but the one that comes to mind rn is noragami. i actually watched it randomly, and ended up loving it!
Mar 11, 2020 11:02 PM

Feb 2020
I would say Dr. Stone, Noragami and Death Parade
Mar 11, 2020 11:35 PM
Dec 2018
Angel Beats- i thought it will be a Good entering comedy anime, but Adter finishing it i absolutely loved it. I never thought that it will turn out to be so emotional.
Mar 12, 2020 1:29 AM

Aug 2018
The first series that comes to mind is Oshiete Galko chan, I went in with really low hopes expecting a mediocre serie at best but I was totally proved wrong, I really liked it, from the characters which are pretty endearing to the honesty with which they talk, they are just earnest friends that talk about different topics in a realistic and simple way
I always love being wrong with my assumption about a series being bad and I hope it will happen more often
Mar 12, 2020 1:45 AM

Aug 2018
AsashiiKimi36 said:
3-gatsu no Lion 2nd Season - 1st season for me was okay. But i can’t help that its missing something... idk what that was, i nearly dropped watching the 2nd season.. good thing i gave it another chance because 2nd was way better than the 1st season. Masterful storytelling. Great characters. Visually stunning.

3-gatsu no lion was one of the first slice of life anime I ever watched, and I felt it wasn't bad, but just wasn't sure if I should continue on to s2 and left it on my PTW for the longest time. now after seeing your comment on it, I feel like want to pick it up again

horridhendy said:
Yamada and the Seven Witches: With all the fanservice and harem elements I really didn't think this series would be for me but it's really funny and charming. Slice of life plus mildly supernatural elements is really catnip to me, turns out.

exactly same!! I'm not really into harems but decided to try it out anyway and was truly pleasantly surprised by how likeable the characters were. and the ending was
Mar 12, 2020 2:08 AM

Mar 2017
Eizouken ni wa Te wo Dasu na! was a pleasant surprise. I finished the aired episodes extremely fast and I can´t wait for new ones. I heard that it was supposed to be good but I never expected that I will love it so much.

Honzuki no Gekokujou: Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasen was also very pleasant surprise for me. I´m so excited for second season that will air in April.
Mar 12, 2020 2:35 AM
Jan 2012
While I have a lot more notable examples of shows that were way better than I had anticipated, I'm gonna choose K-On!! because it's opened the flood gates for shows I once thought I would hate.

I was an obnoxious elitist twat back then about 5 or 6 years ago. I would shit on anything elitists would typically shit on, CGDCT in particular. I was going through a rough time so I needed something light, didn't care how much I'd enjoy it I just needed something fluffy to distract me and get me through what I was going through, and I decided on K-On!!. I watched it and it did more than just distract me, it had me smiling and actually having fun. The show was just cute girls being cute, horsing around in such a stress-free environment. I never liked the idea of a show just being stress-free and only really there to be cute, yet this show showed me that I'd been avoiding certain types of shows that could have been potentially very enjoyable shows. Because of K-On!! I actually stopped being an elitist.

My tastes are still somewhat reminiscent of an elitist, but now I have no problem just picking up something like Yuyushiki and having a blast with it.
Mar 12, 2020 5:08 AM

Aug 2018
Gonna have to go with FLCL on that one, I thought it was just random mess that made no sense, and because I knew it was only 6 episodes I never thought it would be able to tell a good story, but I'm really glad I gave it a shot

tldr you should watch FLCL it's more than the mess it appears at first
Mar 12, 2020 5:25 AM
Apr 2017
Bokurano: didn't expect it to be that good (other than the visuals which are really meh).

Bokuben (s1): didn't think it'd be so entertained by some basic albeit extremely honest ecchi harem. And yet, I was.

Karakai jouzu no Takagi-san: I didn't think I'd like it, if I'm honest. The premise isn't anything particularly interesting to me but the show is just so damn adorable. Were I the type to entertain such things, I'd be rolling on the floor with a :3 face while watching it, both of them are so lovely.

Honourable mentions: hinomaruzumou (didn't think I'd EVER like anything to do with o-sumou), tate no yuusha (binged the entire first season in a single day, I was that entertained) and slime isekai (I thought I'd drop it within the first two episodes because the premise was eminently stupid but ended up watching it all and liking it a fair deal too).
"The problem with defining even an aspect of your personality by something that you like, is that criticism of that product appears to you to be criticism of you personally. I find it to be a very harmful attitude, [...] you can't rationally discuss a product because you've started to define yourself by its very existence."

John Bain
Mar 12, 2020 5:58 AM
Nov 2019
Gotta say Haikyuu too - I felt ridiculous starting the show because a story about a sport surely couldn't be interesting - and then it only took three-ish episodes before I fell in love. xD Seriously though, I haven't been this humbled in my life (not by a story anyway) and maybe won't ever be again.
Mar 12, 2020 5:59 AM

May 2018
Gintama, I had actually no idea what to expect and I had been avoiding it for a long time before I finally watched it, and now it's the best anime I've watched so far.

Monster, I thought it would be very boring and trying too much to be an interesting mystery anime, but I was really hooked all the way through. I love how realistic it is and I don't think there are any other shows like Monster.
Mar 12, 2020 6:09 AM
Jul 2019
Usually not into mysteries, but ID Invaded has been super good that I wanted the manga for it, but then I realized it was an original, man it’s been really good and has some really good characters.
Mar 12, 2020 6:14 AM

Oct 2018
My Hero Academia - I never thought I would like it at all, that it wasn't for me, some typical dumb shonen I thought, but it surprised me very pleasantly and I ended up being a fan actually, and its my favorite resent anime Ive seen, I even put it in my favorites. Crazy.
I think its a great superhero story, it has so many interesting characters, very inspiring,optimistic and funny.

Mar 12, 2020 6:14 AM
Dec 2017
Oregairu, first time saw the poster thought just some generic harem anime
Mar 12, 2020 6:21 AM

Jun 2016
A pleasant surprise I'm currently watching is MS zeta gundam. I expected it to suck from the plot summary but while it doesn't have as many memorable battles and it doesn't feel as impactful as the original gundam series, it improves on many aspects making it the superior show
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Mar 12, 2020 7:44 AM

Jun 2014
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

I was initially put off by the art style and weird color scheme, and went in with the assumption of it being overrated as I had high expectations for SAO but ended up sorely disappointed.

I was hooked almost immediately.

The art style eventually grew on me. I do think the first season of Stardust Crusader wasn't as good as the previous two parts, but the second season after they make it to Egypt was a lot better.
Mar 12, 2020 9:25 PM
Jul 2018
Vampire Hunter D, Trinity Seven, and Quanzhi Gaoshou.
Mar 12, 2020 10:00 PM

Mar 2019
It's Beelzebub.

I expected a gag anime with a little laughs.
But it turned out to be an amazing shonen with good written characters and amazing comedy.
All the shonen tropes are executed amazingly

Anime was it's best 20000 years ago, when cavemen drew art with real depth.
Modern anime is all garbage. I miss great old days of anime.
Mar 12, 2020 10:08 PM
Dec 2019
Oregairu.
Thought it would just be your regular anti-social protagonist gets girls at school in a club.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Opinions on the state of the BL genre? ( 1 2 )

decco6226 - May 2

70 by Sphealz »»
3 minutes ago

» What Studio have you completed the most Anime from? ( 1 2 3 )

ryo-san - Jun 9, 2023

118 by Yonahim_Zz »»
8 minutes ago

» How did you get into anime? ( 1 2 3 )

Cudlyyy - Sep 28, 2023

118 by MogKnight »»
9 minutes ago

» Are RisquΓ© Anime Bad for the Industry?

Dragevard - 56 minutes ago

9 by FanofAction »»
27 minutes ago

» show me your anime 3x3

707supremacist - 3 hours ago

25 by BitChilly »»
31 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.