Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Jan 16, 2020 2:09 AM

Jun 2016
ci_nagaoka said:
AyumiVk said:

I don't know, but judging by the pacing that the story is going i can garantee you this will not have just one cour.
If anything i think it'll be 2 cours with some months in between the first and the second.

Hmm, I'm still not sure about this. Are you aware that Shaft is gonna release another mahou shoujo anime in the next summer season? It's called Assault Lily Bouquet and I just find it rather unlikely for them to release 2 animes of the SAME genre at the SAME season... Besides, Shaft usually releases very few anime in a year, not to mention in the same season. For example, last year, there was none. I don't know, do you really think it's possible? Cause to me, it sounds a little desperate to do that, lol. And if something like that actually happens, then, well, we should have some doubts about the quality of the 2 shows, I guess...

I don't know about that, but i said what i said because in the opening you see things that shouldn't be there if this was only going to be 11-13 episodes.
Plus, the pacing of the story as i said before is going rather slow so if it keeps up like this they won't even find a way to 'close' the anime in a impactful/important part, and i really don't want some made up plot points just so the anime can end early.
Jan 16, 2020 2:28 AM

Jun 2016
This is definitely rushed and having nearly all of the cast swapped out already is jarring, but I came in expecting much worse. My only major complaints are the repetitive witch encounters (all of them were linked to mass transportation so far, save for stairs-chan if she's a witch too) and the battle stupidity in this episode. Still, this is decent enough and far from unimprovable.

Ryuseishun said:
FUCKING HELL! I KNEW IT! I KNEW THE CLUMSY RED HAIRED GIRL WAS GONNA YEETED FIRST THE MOMENT SHE SHOWED UP!!! I FUCKING CALLED IT!!! LMAO XDDDD

I was (and kinda still am) expecting Kuroe to be stubborn and break back into Kamihama only to get killed by a witch this time before then, but yeah Kaede has "screwed" written all over her.
Jan 16, 2020 5:07 AM

Mar 2018
shaft's directorial style combined with gekidan inu curry's art and composition always make for dazzling visuals, excited to see if this one follows suit to the original and things start going downhill in ep 3. though im a little concerned about the pacing as it feels a little bit rushed so far.
Jan 18, 2020 4:52 AM

Sep 2019
FurbyOfDeth said:
Zarator said:
Am I the only one who's... a bit disappointed with the show, so far?

As a person who absolutely loved the original Madoka, I feel less than impressed with what I've seen for now. Yes, the atmosphere is great. The music is great. But the story and characters are not really up on par with the original, for now.

In a more general sense, the whole show reeks of serial escalation. There are too many witches, too many mahou shoujos, and the overall pace of the show is too fast (which is kinda surprising, considering it's a 2-cour show).

Back in the original show, encounters with witches were climatic moments of the story, generally happening in the second half of the episode and leading to a really important event. Here, it's been only 2 episodes and we've already seen no less than 4 fights with witches (and, if I can count, at least 5 different witches). In fact, 1-2 of these fights almost felt forgettable plot-wise - just there for the sake of it.

Similarly... what's the need with so many characters, so soon? I have almost forgotten about the girls we've seen in the first episode - were it not for the fact one of them is constantly shown in the OP and ED, so I gotta assume she'll be relevant. In the original, by contrast, the show took a lot more time to focus on the main trio (Madoka, Sayaka, Mami), while giving Homura a recurring presence that slowly built up her character for what happened next.

Overall, it's not bad, and I've seen far worse in this season. But after 6-7 years of wait for another chapter in the franchise, I kinda hoped for something better. I just hope the show will vindicate itself eventually and not be another let down like S;G:0 was.

i see what your getting at but i think a few of those things might be non isues as the go.

let me start by saying i have not played the game and know nothing about what ill happen in the futer but a few of the things you mentioned might not really be a nissue down the line

1. Characters, we have only had 2 episodes and the only characters that showed up in both was the main character so we don't have a semblance of enough time to know how that will pan out as we have only seen the intro to characters so far.

2. pacing i think it might feel faster than the original for 2 reasons 1. the first one assumed you knew nothing about witches and so it took its time introducing witches and other creechers and also took its time teaching you what it means to be a magical girl, this one assumes you know all that so it just starts the story right off. like you said with it being a 2 core i do believe it will slow down a bit and take its time developing the story. And the pacing of the original did pick up like crazy over the last 4 or 5 episodes so just being fast paced dose not brake of form the Madoka Magica norms.

3. the escalation... yes, way more witches and magical girls, but i also feel that it is because of this strange location and what is going on there and will be story bound not jsut form "escalation" also on that note this was not originally made by SHAFT and is based off of a game were the point is to collect a bunch of diffident types of magical girls

4 the quality. it probably wont be as good as Madoka magica. but that should be ok. it doesn't have to be the best magical girl anime in order to be a good one. and i think the feel of the show "the music and the dark twist" are what is important to being a madoka magica and as far as for the first 2 episode i think there doing that right.

so all this to say is you might have your expectations to high. if you expecting it to be on par or better than the original madoka magica than your on a path distend for disappointment.

Welp, you've answered everything there. I agree with you on this as well. The setting is on kamihama city where the magical girls are stronger and the witches are far more dangerous. So it actually makes sense if the battles are more frequent.

I do hope that this would be the same as madoka but i guess my expectation were too high. I'm gonna watch this for yachiyo and sayaka only.... although i still doubt if sayaka would ever get revived or anything.

Wandering Witch is the best light novel ever!
Jan 18, 2020 1:35 PM
Mar 2017
I am glad that Iroha recovered Ui's memories, but I am sure that the bastard of Kyubei is related to Ui's disappearance, remember that there has to be a way in which Iroha does her job as a magical girl and I am sure that little parasite who destroys the dreams and lives of girls has more hidden things.

Damn disgusting rodent, I can't believe he tried to make Iroha doubt her own memories, but she stuck to her hunch and believes that Ui is real, but now Iroha must return to Kamihama since the hospital where Ui was is in that city.
It was expected that Iroha's trip would not be easy, a witch interrupts the trip and kidnaps all the passengers of the bus she was traveling on, but in this same fight three magical girls appear: Momoko, Rena and Kaede.
After defeating the monsters the girls take Iroha to a safe place where she tells them the details of her trip and the search for Ui, in the end Momoko agrees to help her and in turn Kaede also and in a bad way Rena also accepts.
Unfortunately, Iroha is not successful in the hospital, there are no records that someone called Tamaki Ui was there.
Apparently the friendship between Kaede and Rena is somewhat intense, they constantly fight and I see that Rena is usually very insensitive and as Momoko mentions they always end up being friends, but then they are again, the classic friendship of a normal girl.
I loved the sequence about the rumor of "the stairs that end friendships", the combination of music, dialogues and visuals achieve a perfect result, a very terrifying urban legend.
Apparently the legend had some truth, Rena did not return home and the girls look for her everywhere until they find her in an arcade, but she runs away and it is Kaede who reaches her and apologizes for the fight of the previous day, but it seems that Rena's anger caused her to make a fatal mistake, she wrote her and Kaede's name on the stairs that end friendships and the chain witch comes to find her prey, taking Kaede to the territory of this witch.

Pretty good this episode, I was too late to see it, but I wanted to see it next to the following episode to see the complete outcome of this sad conflict, i hoped that Rena repaired her mistake and saved Kaede.
Jan 18, 2020 9:33 PM

Oct 2019
During the conversation between the four in the restaurant, did anyone else notice the text that appeared in the sticker-like graphics in the background? They said
"I don't know what to do"
"It was just a slip of the tounge"
"Forget what I just said now"
"My wish"
"An important thing"
Respectively. Was this already mentioned, does it really even matter? Just thought I'd put it out there.
Jan 19, 2020 4:19 PM

Nov 2012
4 magical girls. a witch shows that 3 of th MGs claim they were chasing. MG sees traces of the witch and says nothing. 1 MG is taken and then what? Not 1 MG transforms? Pretty sure next week will be even more girls.

Zarator said:
Am I the only one who's... a bit disappointed with the show, so far?

Nope.
I'm more than a bit disappointed. Honestly, I'm ready to drop it, but I promised to give it a 3 episode test run. I think I'm wasting my time though.
dragynfaerieJan 19, 2020 4:28 PM
Jan 20, 2020 1:46 PM

Aug 2011
I barely understand anything, it feels a bit rushed, tbh
Jan 22, 2020 5:27 AM

Oct 2017
Shaft doing their usual magic. Another good episode and damn are they gonna start dying so soon.
Jan 22, 2020 11:40 AM

Aug 2007
I am really getting confused. It is an amine about finding a solution about Iroha and her lost of memory? or something wierd that makes girls disapear because some stairs? Well. I'll keep watching. I've search for the game, and actually in my country I can't download it.
Jan 22, 2020 11:44 AM
Dec 2018
minimiau said:
I am really getting confused. It is an amine about finding a solution about Iroha and her lost of memory? or something wierd that makes girls disapear because some stairs? Well. I'll keep watching. I've search for the game, and actually in my country I can't download it.

If you really want to play game, it's pretty easy. You have to use VPN one time and that too only for installation. The in-game downloads and updates and the whole game works fine without VPN.
Jan 22, 2020 4:03 PM

Nov 2016
that was okay. i dont really understand why most people are praising this show so much or even saying that it's on par with the original. it looks nice, but the writing is not nearly as good, there are too many characters being introduced too fast, and as much as i really WANT this to have the same tone and atmosphere as pmmm, it just doesnt. tbh i thought the friendship ending stairs thing was kinda stupid, but im gonna give this show a couple more episodes before i decide if im going to commit to it or not.
Jan 23, 2020 8:03 AM

Aug 2018
tamagolord said:
i really WANT this to have the same tone and atmosphere as pmmm, it just doesnt.

I think the witches/rumors are great looking. If that means as in, DEATH and extreme despair well you would be disappointed as the plot of the game is ummm.... light-heared. Yes there might be friendship drama and stuff but that's about it.
Jan 24, 2020 2:33 PM
Jan 2016
This might be the best place to ask a question. Does anybody here know the name of the piano BGM that plays in Ep1,2,3. I searched everywhere, but couldn't find anything. It sounds really familiar, maybe it was used in the original show, though I'm not sure.
Time codes.
Ep1 - 7:40-9:25
Ep2 - 14:05-16:25
Ep3 - 02:50-04:40

I hope somebody knows.
Feb 4, 2020 11:54 AM

Nov 2013
I actually like the pacing in this compared to the original, straight into the action and good bits without the want/desire to surprise and hide it's undertones like the original did till ep 3.
Feb 9, 2020 11:58 PM

Jun 2009
I freaking adore this spin-off

There's just so much fun in watching these characters interact with one another.

While they lack the coolness of the OGs, the girls this time around are cuter in both appearance and personality. I hope nothing bad will happen to them [Sweat]
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 22, 2020 7:03 PM

Dec 2008
Whew, I'm behind this series though I was looking forward to it.

I agree there seems to be too much comparison to the original Madoka ITT. Like it or hate it, try to accept it as something new. It has a similar feel to the original with the art and music, but can't be compared because it's going to be focusing on totally different characters. And longer?? Plus you can not top Madoka's eventual end, and the character Madoka's fate.

I am into it so far. I have a couple of theories about Ui that may be proven right or wrong by now (gotta catch up) and I was also interested in Rena's character. What kind of backstory might she have, wish she might have made to get powers like that?
Feb 23, 2020 3:55 AM
Dec 2019
prepare4trouble said:
Whew, I'm behind this series though I was looking forward to it.

I agree there seems to be too much comparison to the original Madoka ITT. Like it or hate it, try to accept it as something new. It has a similar feel to the original with the art and music, but can't be compared because it's going to be focusing on totally different characters. And longer?? Plus you can not top Madoka's eventual end, and the character Madoka's fate.

I am into it so far. I have a couple of theories about Ui that may be proven right or wrong by now (gotta catch up) and I was also interested in Rena's character. What kind of backstory might she have, wish she might have made to get powers like that?

If they want to adapt all the manga story in anime, there will probably 1 or 2 other seasons
but to have it, it has to be decided at the beginning or else it is necessary that the series works well enough to begin the production of a second season. And I have not the impression that this is the case. So unless it is already decided or unless the last episodes are so good (according to majority) that it bring back a lot more viewers I don't think we will have another season.

Of course it is new and that is normal to magia record to be different of madoka (It was one of my fears that it was too similar and I was rather reassured for this point (the form is similar but the substance is not). But they put madoka magica in the title (probably to attract people) so it is normal to compare with the original. If they had call it "magia record" (and that's it) maybe it would have been different.
For my opinion, I find it very inequal and my feelings vary between "it is really cool" and "it is boring"
Feb 23, 2020 10:21 AM

Dec 2008
It's fine to compare it to Madoka not just for the title, the same as comparing to other magical girls series. I guess I worded poorly, I'm not saying no comparison so much as don't expect it to be a retread. Would anyone be happy if it was? And I think people expecting it to be as good or better than the original will be disappointed. That's just my opinion. 😅 I'm trying to enjoy it as is.
Feb 29, 2020 7:09 PM

Dec 2013
Things got really creepy towards the end...

Writing her friend's name down was an over reaction. Especially if they really do fight all of the time.
Mar 5, 2020 12:42 PM

Nov 2017
I miss the yuri vibes. Just a high school drama now. Pretty colors and settings though.
Mar 12, 2020 3:32 AM

Aug 2017
Ehhh, this episode was very average. We have more characters but I have no reason to care about them.

NurguburuMar 12, 2020 3:37 AM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Mar 16, 2020 1:22 AM

Apr 2015
lmao what is this. how is it possible to be so dumb, Rena-chan?
Apr 15, 2020 8:14 PM
Jun 2016
*Momoko, tilting her head while sipping soda.*

Me: IS THAT A HIDAMARI SKETCH REFERENCE????//

But seriously, that scene gave me Hidamari flashbacks.

I'm honestly already loving the dynamics of the magical team Iroha met.

Edit: Just skimmed on the first page of the comments. And yeah, I've noticed the pacing's a bit fast as well. I was predicting that this anime is about Iroha going out to discover what her wish was supposed to be.
Mat2468xkApr 15, 2020 10:48 PM
Jun 3, 2020 9:04 AM

Aug 2018
But it can't be only to heal that girl's illness, right?.. Why would she forget about this wish then?.. It doesn't make much sense.. Unless someone else wished for that, not Tamaki.. Like, if Ui wished for that, for example..
And it was her little sister, hm?.. Where is she now?.. She doesn't exist?..
Magical girls team?.. Alright.. Nice to see it actually, after the cold shoulder from Nanami last episode..
So Kamihama is full of witches, and also there is no Kyubey?.. Or small Kyubey.. Alright.. Wonder, if these things are related..
Well.. I was glad for team of magical girls.. But it seems they can argue themselves.. Well, not sure, how close or something they are in the end.. I mean, arguing is possible even between closest friends.. So it's hard to say, really..
Why only Nanami in the ending?.. Will we have ending for each girl?.. Or, well, some of main girls, at least..
Jul 14, 2020 11:50 PM

Jul 2016
It's a world where Witches abduct people in daily basis yet a Mahou Shoujo called Rena still writes down the name of her friend on some hella mysterious staircases that make people disappear thinking it's just another mere rumor. It was even said that she and Kaede often fight over these same things so I wonder why doing such action?... quite problematic character we have been introduced to so far.

Rather intriguing episode overall. Mostly due to the mystery surrounding Iroha's sister rather than the silly (and almost romantic) argument between Kaede and Rena. In that regard, I wonder if the red-haired will be saved or her character's fate will become a turning point for the story as how it happened with Mami.

P.S.: So... I'm gonna guess these girls still don't know about neither their fates if they don't collect enough Grief Seeds nor the origin of the Witches they fight, right?
SouthRzVaJul 15, 2020 10:39 PM
Sep 9, 2020 10:06 AM

May 2018
Lol classic tsundere makes me [Hnngh]
Feb 10, 2021 7:25 PM

Nov 2019
Man, I thought the complaints about this show just had to be overwrought... they aren't.

A wish to protect the family garden. Gods, how incredibly dumb.
Jul 5, 2021 4:38 PM

May 2020
So far I feel this show is just mediocre. It feels like someone said "Hey remember that Madoka show... let's just make another one and ramp it all up x10." No suspense or mystery or intrigue really for me so far. Iroha is cute though.
Sep 25, 2021 7:19 AM

Jan 2017
The paradox mystery surrounding Iroha's sister got me intrigued, but the bickering between Rena and Kaede didn't (things escalated way too quickly ngl)

Should have felt something was amiss when they introduced quite a number of characters in this one ep alone
Feb 15, 2022 1:30 PM

Nov 2018
Ever since last episode, I cannot help being amused by the glaring similarity between Iroha and Madoka. Leaving aside the pink hair and red eyes, Madoka had a bow and Iroha has a crossbow? Really?😂 Not to say that Kyuubei sticks with her just as in Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica he stuck with Madoka. One of the scenes from the opening and her line
remind me of Madoka as well.

But there are more aspects: the mysterious magical girl from Kamihama that saves Iroha and her friend has a dismissive attitude similar to Homura's. And today, Momoka's maternal attitude reminded me so much of Mami 😂. Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica was definitely very original and it is hard to compete with that, but to go as far as to copy the characters? 😐. It's acceptable at some point, but I can't help feeling a bit disappointed 😅.
KonokoAsadaFeb 15, 2022 1:34 PM
"The me today will not ever make the future me to regret!"
(Emily Adachi from Air Gear: Kuro no Hane to Nemuri no Mori - Break on the Sky)

Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2020

258 by Biisoo »»
Yesterday, 3:09 PM

Poll: » Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 4, 2020

237 by Biisoo »»
Apr 17, 11:00 AM

» Is this necessary to watch?

theanimeviber - Feb 4

14 by kensu31 »»
Feb 11, 9:36 PM

Poll: » Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 7, 2020

108 by Hilel1982014h »»
Jan 16, 7:42 AM

» This is quite funny

official_brown - Jun 10, 2022

16 by jedman »»
Jul 5, 2023 3:05 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.