Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 11, 2019 12:29 AM

Apr 2013
So someone is allowed to rate an anime a 1 in their list, but they cannot write a review about it? That's a bold opinion.
Dec 11, 2019 4:18 AM

Jul 2015
agree, even anime like mars of destruction still has redeeming qualities like the soundtrack was decent, some really good establishing shots. the fight between takeru and the main boss at the end. surprisingly enough gave exposition that didn't felt unnatural
Dec 11, 2019 8:35 AM

Jul 2014
supransh said:
You can give a low rating in your personal list but giving a review with 1 rating is just stupid. Giving a 1 means that everything about that anime is terrible down to the art style, music, voice acting and even fan service (in ecchi genre). I don't think there is any possible anime that sucks in every aspect. A similar thing can be said for giving a 10.
Every anime lacks in some aspect, so there is no perfect anime.
Again, personal anime list rating doesn't matter.

I find your definition of a one star show to be incomplete. While, yes, a one star show on MAL can mean what you say it means, I also think it can mean a show that, while not completely failing at everything, fails so hard at portraying one or a few aspects of show that it completely overshadows the parts it was comparatively not so bad at showing.

Similarly, I also disagree with your (rather limiting) description of a ten star show as a "perfect show". At least for me, a ten star show is a show that not only qualifies as a nine, but also impacts me in a way that a nine star show wasn't able to. In a more objective sense, I'm more likely to rewatch a ten star show than a nine star show. In a more subjective sense, a ten star show is the type of show that, I think, excels at characterization, worldbuilding, and storytelling. Its sort of like the cherry on top of an already delicious cake. Not that I eat cherries. Haha.

Anyway, from what little you wrote, it seems like you are trying to create a review system that is completely scientific, objective, and sterile. Personally, I think this is a rather uninteresting way to look at rating a show. Speaking for myself, my rating system is one that is largely based on my level of enjoyment and appreciation for the show I watched rather than it being some sort of engineering project that can be broken down into either a series of equally important parts or a group of parts that have a weighted degree of importance.
SithSteelDec 11, 2019 9:23 AM
Dec 11, 2019 8:49 AM

Jan 2013
I'll rate shit however I deem fit. You can't change my mind.
Dec 11, 2019 8:55 AM

Jul 2014
CondemneDio said:

What if I give you $100 to rate a show how I want you to rate it? $1,000? $1,000,000?
Dec 11, 2019 9:01 AM

Jun 2019
I disagree, a 1 doesn't mean that everything in an anime is awful. That would be a 0. So if you take that into account, 1 could mean that 10% of an anime is good.
Dec 11, 2019 9:01 AM

Jan 2013
SithSteel said:
CondemneDio said:

What if I give you $100 to rate a show how I want you to rate it? $1,000? $1,000,000?

Okay you changed my mind. Now give me my money.
Dec 11, 2019 9:11 AM

Jul 2014
CondemneDio said:
SithSteel said:

Okay you changed my mind. Now give me my money.

Alright. Just give me your social security number and address.
Dec 11, 2019 9:11 AM
Jul 2018
I give you a 1/10 as a person as a whole.
Dec 11, 2019 9:23 AM

Jan 2018
OP clearly hasn't seen aggressively bad OVA's like Mars of Destruction or Garzey's Wing apparently
What a beautiful Duwang
Dec 11, 2019 9:27 AM
Apr 2016
Wicker_Senpai93 said:
I disagree, a 1 doesn't mean that everything in an anime is awful. That would be a 0. So if you take that into account, 1 could mean that 10% of an anime is good.

You can not vote 0 as far as I am concerned. Your argument is void.
Re:formed
Dec 11, 2019 9:53 AM

Feb 2015
I can't take any review that rates an anime a 1 serious, outside of the few legendarily bad ones like Mars of Destruction. But it gives me a clear, instant indicator the reviewer isn't capable of constructing a good review, so it saves me the trouble of reading it.
Dec 11, 2019 9:59 AM

Jun 2019
Daniel_Naumov said:
Wicker_Senpai93 said:

My argument is void? Lol, wot? I'm aware 0 isn't a real score, my point was that 1 doesn't mean everything is bad. Cause if everything was bad, that would be a 0.
Dec 11, 2019 10:10 AM
Apr 2016
Wicker_Senpai93 said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

My argument is void? Lol, wot? I'm aware 0 isn't a real score, my point was that 1 doesn't mean everything is bad. Cause if everything was bad, that would be a 0.

Yeah... I am afraid this is not how the review system is supposed to work.
Re:formed
Dec 11, 2019 10:26 AM

Jun 2019
Daniel_Naumov said:
Wicker_Senpai93 said:

Yeah... I am afraid this is not how the review system is supposed to work.

"Supposed to work", please elaborate.
Dec 11, 2019 10:28 AM

Jul 2019
Ok then, stop giving 10 reviews. I dont think any anime is perfect, as a 10/10 implies. No anime can be that good. Everything has its flaws.

Gator said:
So someone is allowed to rate an anime a 1 in their list, but they cannot write a review about it? That's a bold opinion.
Haha, I get it! A rating is your own score while in a review you should be as "objective" as possible, right?
Dec 11, 2019 10:58 AM
Haru Choi

Mar 2012
I don't think you understand how the reviewing process works when you go to make one, you have to individually select 1 out of 10 for Story, Art, Character, Enjoyment before you make an overall rating. You need to also remember that not everyone is going to have the same opinion and tastes as you. So for you a 3 might be justified but if the anime is something someone really doesn't like than they might feel 1 is justified enough for them

I myself (Un-popular opinion) don't like Attack On Titian, I think the story is meh, I don't like the art style, the characters are annoying, I don't enjoy any of it at all, So in the end if I were to rate it it would be 1, I dislike the anime so much I don't think it deserves a rating higher than that, Im not going to give it a pitty rating just because others like it and need to be coddled. Where as an Anime like One Piece, I love the story line, they even make the fillers interesting to me, I love the Art style alot, the characters are all unique and lovely (even bad guys) I always enjoy it, ive even watched the whole show over and and over again, and the over all rating for me is a 10, but I do know of some people that don't like one piece and feel the way I feel about attack on titian, and tho i do not agree with them, I don't really care if they rate it as a 1 because thats their right to do so.

Why be bothered about others reviews of things like that anyways tho, why not just watch the anime/read it regardless of the reviews? Thats what I do, because i would rather judge an animes myself and sometimes I'm surprised and like the anime even if it has bad reviews or vice versa with animes with good reviews being horrible.

I feel like if you really have a problem with reviews just ignore them and watch it.

Dec 11, 2019 10:59 AM

Sep 2019
I didn't even get to see a review for this smh my head. 1/10: Needs more words and stuff.
Dec 11, 2019 11:01 AM

Oct 2018
Just for that I'm rating this thread -1 since we are free to rate as we please.

サディスティックな考え
"JUST KILL ME."
サディスティックマインド
Dec 12, 2019 7:07 AM
Jul 2018
Anything thats 5 or below is garbage. I only add various grades as a tier list for garbage
Dec 12, 2019 7:21 AM

Oct 2010
It's the reviewer's score, maybe he just didn't find anything good in that anime. I agree it's an exageration but if it's there why not use the full scale?
And as an exercise, can you tell me something good about mayoiga? Compared to other anime I saw, mayoiga is the worst, I did not give it a 1 because Lovepon is cute. But the reviewers gave it the score as they saw fit (which is 1) and I agree with them.
Dec 12, 2019 7:26 AM

Jul 2016
HaruChoi said:
I don't think you understand how the reviewing process works when you go to make one, you have to individually select 1 out of 10 for Story, Art, Character, Enjoyment before you make an overall rating. You need to also remember that not everyone is going to have the same opinion and tastes as you. So for you a 3 might be justified but if the anime is something someone really doesn't like than they might feel 1 is justified enough for them

I myself (Un-popular opinion) don't like Attack On Titian, I think the story is meh, I don't like the art style, the characters are annoying, I don't enjoy any of it at all, So in the end if I were to rate it it would be 1, I dislike the anime so much I don't think it deserves a rating higher than that, Im not going to give it a pitty rating just because others like it and need to be coddled. Where as an Anime like One Piece, I love the story line, they even make the fillers interesting to me, I love the Art style alot, the characters are all unique and lovely (even bad guys) I always enjoy it, ive even watched the whole show over and and over again, and the over all rating for me is a 10, but I do know of some people that don't like one piece and feel the way I feel about attack on titian, and tho i do not agree with them, I don't really care if they rate it as a 1 because thats their right to do so.

Why be bothered about others reviews of things like that anyways tho, why not just watch the anime/read it regardless of the reviews? Thats what I do, because i would rather judge an animes myself and sometimes I'm surprised and like the anime even if it has bad reviews or vice versa with animes with good reviews being horrible.

I feel like if you really have a problem with reviews just ignore them and watch it.

+100 points for praising one piece.
Dec 12, 2019 8:45 AM

Apr 2010
Jus1294 said:
OP clearly hasn't seen aggressively bad OVA's like Mars of Destruction or Garzey's Wing apparently

At least Garzey's Wing had a fucking hilarious English dub that made sitting through those 3 episodes not a complete waste of time. Mars of Destruction had nothing going for it.
Dec 12, 2019 8:47 AM

Jan 2018
It's fine for them to rate it however they see fit.
Dec 12, 2019 2:33 PM
Haru Choi

Mar 2012
@Missaliensan

Always praise One Piece. ;; o ;;)b it's the greatest!!

Dec 12, 2019 2:42 PM

Aug 2016
Kuroooh said:
IMO I hate more the tendencies of giving a 7 to average shows, that's silply wrong and more common practice than the undeserved 1 and 10

That is true. If you somewhat enjoyed something it's most likely a 6 at best. I am nost saying that this is the case for most people but sometimes nice folks just forget that a 6 is still a positive rating
Dec 12, 2019 2:54 PM

Apr 2016
You do realize a 1 doesn't even necessarily imply that every single aspect is fundamentally broken in every regard from top to bottom, right? Hell, even if a show fails in all or virtually all aspects, some aspects can still be done much worse than others, resulting in a 1. Just look at Arifureta. Its music is the least bad thing about it but the OST is limited and therefore often reused, barring one overused exception, the tracks are unmemorable at best, and the tracks are generally ill-fitting like with most of the vocal tracks used throughout the show (and there are like 5 of them with only one actually fitting the scenario, and the usage of them just getting more baffling as time progresses). It doesn't hold a candle to the bafflingly terrible editing, directing, animation quality, artwork (when you can see the fucking thing without being blinded, seriously, no wonder the anime goes out of its way to put the characters in dark locations all the time), or writing (which wouldn't even be all that horrendous if not for how terribly the anime fails at establishing anything, and how in multiple times, it attempts in medias res storytelling in such a headache-inducing and dysfunctional way that they make a poorly paced and written narrative with almost bare characterization so much worse than you'd think without watching the first episode yourself). Those aspects are so fundamentally broken and inconsistent on virtually every level that it really does justify the show being a 1/10, so I and many others gave it one. There's a reason they're not commonly used by people who have even a modicum of standards or understanding when reviewing (hell, most people have few to no 1s anyway), and that's because there are decidedly fewer shows that fail this spectacularly than those that just suck or are merely ok. That's what makes a 1 so severe, so scathing and harsh, and while you might not like that, it's cowardly to demand that they be removed, and illogical to genuinely believe that nothing can be that bad.

Oh, and you can apply this logic in inverse to 10s. 10/10 doesn't necessarily mean an anime is pitch-perfect in every or any regard, and the idea that no anime can ever be so good in all regards that it warrants such a score is ridiculous, even if they are also not very common for those who don't spam 8s-10s on every anime they've ever liked.

Obviously, all things are subjective (these factors have some degree of objectivity and basis, but the severity of anything is subjective nonetheless, and bias and taste will inevitably play some kind of factor into absolutely every opinion. That's inescapable, even for 1s and 10s.
CodeBlazeFateDec 12, 2019 2:58 PM
Dec 25, 2019 2:57 PM
Dec 2019
When people stop giving out 10's for overrated garbage i'l stop giving out 1's.
Dec 27, 2019 10:08 PM

Aug 2018
The 1-10 rating scale is very subjective so I don't mind people giving 1s if they think a show truly deserves it.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 4 hours ago

23 by Vendicator »»
39 seconds ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - 2 hours ago

14 by luisfunes99 »»
47 seconds ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 6 hours ago

28 by Shirayukin »»
17 minutes ago

Poll: » whats the severity of social stigma for anime and its fans now a days?

deg - 7 hours ago

8 by Vendicator »»
18 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

236 by StyxParadise »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.