Forum Settings
Forums
Dec 7, 2019 12:52 PM
You can give a low rating in your personal list but giving a review with 1 rating is just stupid. Giving a 1 means that everything about that anime is terrible down to the art style, music, voice acting and even fan service (in ecchi genre). I don't think there is any possible anime that sucks in every aspect. A similar thing can be said for giving a 10.
Every anime lacks in some aspect, so there is no perfect anime.
Again, personal anime list rating doesn't matter.

Dec 7, 2019 12:58 PM

I disagree. I feel that there can be shows that are bad at everything. I've seen at least one of them (Mobile Suit Gundam: Twilight Axis)
I really enjoy those "helicopter ride" memes

Dec 7, 2019 12:59 PM

Some anime are that terrible that deserve a score of 1.
Besides people have a right to rate things however they want, scores don't matter nearly as much as what has been said in review, honestly I think that scores should be completely removed from reviews so that people can focus on the content of the review rather than just a score.

愛することは何もありません。愛されることは何かがあります。でも、愛することと愛されることは全てです。

Dec 7, 2019 1:00 PM

I agree almost every rating of 1 is unjustified, even considering the reviewer's rating system, but people aren't just going to stop. Exaggerating your hate towards something is more appealing to the readers and yourself.

Dec 7, 2019 1:04 PM
DarkChild

1 is stupid. I think a 3 or a 4 is the lowest I have ever given.

Mood: 1 | 2 | 3

Dec 7, 2019 1:06 PM

Disagree. An anime, just like any other artistic production, is more than just the mere sum of the parts. It doesn't matter if one of some of those parts hold some actual value, if the overall result, if the "big picture" is just downright disastrous, it can be indeed be considered worthless.

Dec 7, 2019 1:08 PM

That argument is kinda stupid. For me a 1 equals a 9 and 10 is for the real superb stuff.

And in school you dont get the lowest grade if you get EVERYTHING wrong, you still get it if you have one or 2 things right.

1s are complete shit but that doesnt mean everything is terrible, they can have decent animation and some meh plotpoints but that does not value near the same as the lack of great cinematography, sound design, character work, story etc.

The rating system is also a ranking, at least for me, so if i find a show that is worse than every show i gave a 2 it gets a 1 regardless of its tiny qualitys.I dont get why you would differentiate between your list and your reviews, there is not a objective way of writing a review, as long as you give arguments with reason and proof why you dis/liked the show the review is good, the score should not even matter the stuff that was written in the review matters.
Modified by Mullerio, Dec 7, 2019 1:14 PM

Dec 7, 2019 1:10 PM

FlowersInTheRain said:
1 is stupid. I think a 3 or a 4 is the lowest I have ever given.

i disagree. For example this season val x love is a 1 for me so far. Its a extremely insulting anime that has absolutely nothing going for it. if the ending also sucks ill definitely give it a deserving 1

Dec 7, 2019 1:11 PM

Totally subjective giving it a 1 doesnt mean its bad at everything, it means it was awful,painful to watch and you didnt like anything about it, giving a 10 means that the anime is one of your favourites that YOU liked it a lot, again no implying that is perfect. YOU and SUBJECTIVE being the keywords and your statement telling people to "stop" reviewing 1/10 is just stupid if 1/10 is there then its for being used in the animes you hated.

Dec 7, 2019 1:12 PM

It's okay, OP, I'm sure you'll get over that review that gave your favorite anime a 1 eventually.

Dec 7, 2019 1:12 PM

Watch ladyspo and say that again, thank you.

Dec 7, 2019 1:13 PM

You lost me when you said "giving a 1 means..."

Scores don't mean one thing for everyone. You need to rethink your perspective and understand that a 1 holds different value for different people.

A review is 100% opinion. If someone's personal rating of the show is a 1 why shouldn't their review reflect that? As long as someone can speak well on their opinions and respect the opinions of others I don't really care what they are.

Live and let live.
come say hello!

Dec 7, 2019 1:18 PM

I've written two reviews for anime I've given 1s to: High Score and Nami. You can feel free to check them out and decide if I'm justified with them. I personally think I am and I've even written my opinion on why they deserve the lowest score that I'm able to give. Anyone who rates Nami above a 1 either has a shitty rating scale, bad taste, or is doing so ironically (which is the most common reason). High Score is also terrible and although some may argue it deserves a higher score than 1, I still stand my ground on my score of it.

If someone has really strong negative feelings about an anime then they're more inclined to give it a review than if they simply thought it was mediocre. Just let people review what they want, you don't have to read their reviews.

Dec 7, 2019 1:18 PM

Stop giving reviews with 10 rating :V
Life has no meaning.

Dec 7, 2019 1:20 PM
A 1 is only justified if it the work has insulted you. Imo a 4 to 3 ratings, seem to do a decent job in getting the point across.

Dec 7, 2019 1:21 PM

just stop giving ratings, thats the real big brain solution
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."

Dec 7, 2019 1:23 PM

Yes. everything is bad about SAO so....
"I'm watching a dream I'll never wake up from."

Dec 7, 2019 2:14 PM

Tbh they're are some series that deserves a 1 rating. Unless the person was hate watching the show, it's justifiable as far as Im concern.
The Rider that's a fan of Toku-Anime fan is.... Magna

Dec 7, 2019 2:17 PM
If a work is so bad to a viewer that it greatly outweighs any of the redeeming aspects that might be there, a 1/10 is more than justified. On the topic of reviews, the points said reviewer makes is what should be the focus, not the score. Rather you agree with the points or not is entirely up to the reader.

Dec 7, 2019 2:18 PM
gamer girl
When you give something a 1 rating it doesn't mean you think its objectively terrible in every single regard. It's your rating so it also includes your own subjective bias which can skew things extremely towards one direction. Also, since there is nothing that can objectively be called flawless of terrible, by calling something a 1/10 you're saying it's a 1 comparatively against everything else you've seen.

Dec 7, 2019 2:19 PM
You should change your message from "Stop giving 1 star reviews" to "Stop giving 1 star reviews so often". The latter makes far more sense

Dec 7, 2019 2:19 PM

People can rate however they like too. Someone can rate a series 1 or 10 doesn't necessary always mean who this series was absolutely horrible or the series was an absolute masterpiece deserves all the awards in the world.

People rate series a certain way to give others their insights. It maybe a 1 for someone but can be a 10 for another. Who cares. I wouldn't trust ratings on MAL anyways.

Dec 7, 2019 2:25 PM

Every anime has underpaid employees who worked probably overtime for it so I do think it's disrespectful to give a 1. I usually give 3 for effort.
Everyone should read Tower of God.

Dec 7, 2019 2:47 PM

Just watch something you completely can't stand.. Like, I don't know, what exactly you can't stand.. It was Aku no Hana for me, for example..
I felt like vomiting almost constantly, really, and it was really a torture to watch it, I don't watch anime to watch these kinds of shows, and I gave it such score..
There are only 10 places already to sort, I feel that some anime are better, some are worse, and some even less, and even less.. Should I really give it the same score as some anime, which I disliked a bit less?.. I disliked it even more..

Dec 7, 2019 3:53 PM

Do reviews matter?

If its scored by some say saofag or nasufag and its synopsis read like a wonder, would that shitty review change my mind? I dont think so.

also the rating/score of an anime IS based on their personal score anyway, the review score doesnt really matter.

Dec 7, 2019 3:54 PM
This user is not wrong. Surprisingly, giving the statistic of the threads here. 99% of series cannot be considered absolutely wrong (1), as they have somehow, through some means, were admitted to television in Japan. The 1% which is a horrendous 1 did not go beyond damage assessment pre-creation. This paradox of a review system having 1 (while 10 is also a big stretch, but it "might" happen in theory, while 1 is factually impossible) is a paradox, but unsolvable at this point

The thread host is thus justified in his anger towards uneducated users who do not take their right to review seriously.
Re:formed

Dec 7, 2019 3:56 PM

Imagine caring about reviews on MAL on first place or believing that people will do what you want them to do on the internet.

Dec 7, 2019 4:07 PM

Wow wtf, this is the stupidest proposition of forum history. I am out of words... Literally some blokes agreeing with this OP dude just to justify their rating system, like how how much of a folly could that possibly be? The system gives you the right and the liberation to rate whatever you want, and now someone really is calling out 1-rated. Not only the perception of that number of OP is wrong, but what OP says are imposition, bigotry and biases.

The question about whether review matters or not, let me answer - no, you cuck. Reviews do not matter to what the reader actually thinks, unless the reader is so weak-minded and easily influenced. But still, if one is to be influenced, then very well, the reviewer did a good job. Yet, caring about reviews that might not satisfy one's perception is unjustifiable and senseless.
. . .

Dec 7, 2019 4:49 PM

I rate a show based on how entertaining it is for me. I don't care if there are aspects of a show that are actually good, if the show really annoys me then I'm going to give it a low rating.

That said, I've only given two shows a 1, Conception and Gantz. There's probably a lot more out there I'd give a 1 to, but I don't even start watching a show if I think I won't like it.

Dec 7, 2019 4:54 PM

What's with these 1/10 reviews that got a lot of helpfuls in currently airing shows lately?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Shite & Forcum Gayikes.

Dec 7, 2019 4:55 PM
*sips coffee*

I mean, we might as well all stop having our own opinions. That's the answer to all of this community's problems, right?

Dec 7, 2019 5:04 PM

Greyleaf said:
I mean, we might as well all stop having our own opinions. That's the answer to all of this community's problems, right?

That applies for every community sadly lol. The sooner people realise we aren't all the same and that having differing opinions is actually OK the better off we'll all be.

Dec 7, 2019 6:31 PM

Hate to tell you dude, that there are some Anime cut from a shitty cloth that excel at being bad at everything(albeit these are extremely rare). Hametsu No Mars is probably the WORST Anime I've ever seen. Nothing is good about it. The art is fucking awful, the music is terrible, the Animation is practically a slide show, the story is shit, everything is shit. It's just complete shit. If there was a show that was the shitty cloth all other 1-3 rated Anime are cut from it would have to be Himetsu No Mars.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/413/Hametsu_no_Mars

Dec 7, 2019 6:55 PM

If you watched more you'd find them. For me it was Psychic School Wars, and the only reason I gave it a 2 is because I actually finished it.

Dec 7, 2019 8:20 PM
I feel like most anime are shit. Probably over 80%, maybe more. I only have 2 anime with the lowest score possible though.

Dec 7, 2019 8:30 PM

Gho3st said:
I feel like most anime are shit. Probably over 80%, maybe more. I only have 2 anime with the lowest score possible though.

Aye, that's Sturgeon's law for you. Applies to much of everything.

Dec 7, 2019 8:45 PM

Except, on MAL, 10 isn't supposed represent "perfect" - it's labeled as "masterpiece". Masterpieces can have flaws and still be worth giving 10, because rating anime (or any art) isn't like rating a math exam. The score isn't supposed to be some mathematical average of the individual parts either. It's meant to represent the overall quality of the anime, and how well the different aspects of the show came together to impact the whole. In a good anime, even if the parts aren't all that great on their own, when combined, they create a sort of a synergy effect and make the whole greater than the sum of the individual parts. Whereas in a bad anime, it's kind of like the opposite. A couple of good aspects aren't enough to make the anime not terrible.

Dec 8, 2019 12:11 AM

Usually 1 and 2 are reserved for hentai and they are not easy to stomach either

Dec 8, 2019 12:13 AM

supransh said:
You can give a low rating in your personal list but giving a review with 1 rating is just stupid. Giving a 1 means that everything about that anime is terrible down to the art style, music, voice acting and even fan service (in ecchi genre). I don't think there is any possible anime that sucks in every aspect. A similar thing can be said for giving a 10.
Every anime lacks in some aspect, so there is no perfect anime.
Again, personal anime list rating doesn't matter.

*looks at my My Sister My Writer review* Oh shit I'm sorry. I'll hand myself over to the anime police today.

Now who was the user who made you angry with a 1 score review of your favourite series? I'll snitch them to the anime police when they arrest me.
Modified by raisin-kun, Dec 8, 2019 12:20 AM
Stay Strong, KyoAni.

Dec 10, 2019 5:12 PM
I love stuff...

I only gave 1/10 (when I was still rating anime) to Clannad series, and while I think Madoka series with Sayaka and Kyoko parts is 10/10, parts with Homura is 1/10.
I will never forgive myself for adding voice actress Inori Minase to MAL database.

Dec 10, 2019 5:34 PM

You're just mad because people review bomb your favorite anime.

Dec 10, 2019 5:52 PM

So far I only encountered 1 anime that I would give a 1. I rarely encounter them since I try to watch series I think I would enjoy generally.

Dec 10, 2019 5:56 PM

a 10/10 can have some imperfections but still be amazing
a 1/10 can still have a good moment but be dogshit terrible
op, your opinion is a 0/10

Dec 10, 2019 6:03 PM

Very few shows deserve a 1/10 rating, but some do exist. To me, a show needs to have been a complete waste of time, have nothing to recommend about it. The two best examples of a show like that are Evangelion: Death and Rebirth, a recap movie which I think says it all but is even less interesting than your standard recap episode, and Yami Shiabi 4, the follow-up to the increasingly not good Yami Shibai series that managed to reach a point where it had no subtlety or scares and still manages to have baffling animation choices for a series that up until now has created atmosphere on its limited animation.
You have shit taste, and then I have taste so shit it makes your taste look good

Dec 10, 2019 6:10 PM

Everything exists in a spectrum. If there are anime deserving of a 10/10, then so to, must there be anime deserving of a 1/10. Besides, doing this would just make 2/10s into 1/10s by proxy.
"If it ain't big, it's only a bust," The Truth, Some Point in the Past

Dec 10, 2019 6:13 PM

My lowest ratings (which is a 1 or 2 depending on how you look at it) is basically reserved specifically for works that have inspired me to hate them.

ironically this may mean they have better production values than a show that merely didn't impress me or simply bored me but did not inspire antipathy on my part.

Shows that aren't impressive may still inspire a sense of fondness as they give me the time to enjoy the presence of various aspects I like, such as music or character art. And boring shows are just meh. Even if I'm bored or confused by the storyline I might still be satisfying my curiosity about the story and its setting.

But some shows seem to actively try to ruin the fun, ruin the mood/atmosphere, ruin the theme, ruin the direction that the story is headed in, etc. -- these are the ones that get disastrously low ratings from me.
avatar image source (note: not my artwork): https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/78488080

Dec 10, 2019 6:20 PM

10 in my opinion doesn't means perfect, it means the best I've watched.

Even if 1 means that a show has no good qualities, you can say why you think it has no good qualities so I don't get why you say that.

Dec 10, 2019 6:25 PM
IMO I hate more the tendencies of giving a 7 to average shows, that's silply wrong and more common practice than the undeserved 1 and 10

Dec 10, 2019 6:55 PM
Whatever

You need to let destroy your eyes and let you give eye cancer by a wonderful experience called Handshakers. Then we will talk again about this topic.

But I see your point. I also thought many reviews are over the top dramatized. People decide to hate on one thing and blow their hate up completely irrationally. I mean, we all did that I guess, but you don't need to rant about it for thousands of words in a review.
That's why I don't care about them to begin with and I don't take reviews written out of a hateboner seriously.

Dec 11, 2019 12:22 AM

Rating is a must for them regardless they need/hate it or not.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »