Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Dec 7, 2019 11:00 PM

Oct 2008
looks like this show is all about antagonist parents...well some of them...
5/5.

Dec 8, 2019 5:32 AM

Nov 2019
15 seconds into the episode and you could already sense some tension between Shingo and his mom. Between that and Nao dissociating at the dinner table, you knew from the start that this episode wasn't going to hold back on the drama..

this_shit_againDec 8, 2019 9:48 AM
Dec 8, 2019 8:15 AM

Dec 2012
With 3 episodes left I wonder if they'll have time to close all the plots...
Sad there was 0 sport focus in the episode, we don't even know if they performed well.
Dec 8, 2019 8:20 AM

Dec 2008
I prefer the drama over them playing tenis. Thought they friendship is the most interesting thing.
Dec 8, 2019 2:28 PM
Jul 2019
Watched it twice with a few days break in between the first and second watch.

First time the Nao and An scene was just all kinds of crazy and I wasn't sure if Nao was going hit An or something.

Second time it was a lot more clear that Nao was just locking An in the infirmary so that the game would be canceled because he was having conflicted feelings if he even wanted to play / should be playing (due to everything his mother has been doing to him). If he didn't actually play, then he wouldn't get in (as much) trouble if his mom found out.

Seeing Shingo's family dynamic was pretty nice. There's some tension there with his presumed step-mom but his (again presumed) dad seems pretty level headed about everything.

Overall, this was the first kind of... spooky episode for me. The drama was there like always but just seeing Nao begin to do less than rational things over the course of a whole day or a few days is really uneasy and hard to watch.

I mean, I like my gut punched with emotion from time to time and I definitely love this series. This time, it was just a different kind of gut punch and I'm still trying to process it.

Dec 9, 2019 10:11 PM

Apr 2015
I like the fact that the anime doesn't want to let go of these parental issues. Which I faced (and still facing) some myself even today. Parents expectations and dreams seem to come first for some of them without actually taking a step back to analyze their child own personal traits and characteristics.
Some of them will even get physical cu they haven't learned how to resolve problems in a way that doesn't involve violence.
I'm really glad to have gone through most of my life with caring parents that wanted the best for me even though I know we won't always agree and share the same values.
Although, I do hope the show won't dwelve in 100% drama cuz even I will think this might be too much.
Keep it up though.
Dec 10, 2019 7:54 PM
Jul 2018
I think they’re trying to show way too many family problems honestly it’s kind of getting annoying just like everyone has abusive parents. Like what happened to fun club training and stuff. I mean there was that stuff at the beginning but I think they’re overdosing on drama in this show. Still it’s a good show I don’t know how’ll they’ll end it or if it’s gonna get a season 2 because it’s an original. I hope they end it well.
Dec 11, 2019 4:30 PM
Jul 2013
*drama intensifies*
the problem I have with this anime is it does not follow up on previous arcs. Like what about last weeks Yu cliffhanger?
INB4 things are gonna get violent:
Seems like Nao has developed obsessive aggressive thoughts disorder, but as long as he's not past the breaking point, there's still hope.
Dec 12, 2019 12:56 PM

Jun 2015
Jin_uzuki said:
Yavimaya said:

people who think this anime is not realistic and that it's ridiculous that there are so many issues depicted probably live in some weird, oblivious bubble...

It's the presentation that makes it unrealistic and cheesy. I don't know how anyone could not laugh when Tsubasa's father showed up, out of nowhere, after 9 episodes, just in time to make Tsubasa fall from the stairs and break his hand 5 seconds later. And the drama with the little sister getting lost? A+ contrivance (Solved by Jesus Maki, of course).

You can't just vomit drama on the audience because "it's realistic", otherwise just anyone could write some drama worth a shit.

What about with Yuuta anyway? Last episode ended with a cliffhanger and it looked like his mother was going to chain him to his bed, then he shows up this episode looking daijobu, like nothing happened. ???. Did the writer forgot? I'm almost tempted to say he wrote these episodes without a particular order in mind.

Wow, finally someone with common sense.
Fortune favours the bold!

Dec 13, 2019 11:42 PM

Mar 2009
The worst parents in the entire history of anime.
Dec 14, 2019 9:39 AM

Oct 2013
It's great to see all these issues being adressed in the series but, jesus, the pacing and the overall writing are terrible. This needed at least 20+ episodes and less characters.
Dec 14, 2019 12:28 PM

Nov 2019
Tsubasa's close minded dad yuck
I can relate
This episode was nice 7.5/10
Dec 15, 2019 6:53 PM

Oct 2013
Omega Pepepains.

I thought this would be a sports anime with some SoL elements and have a subplot or two focused on heavy subjects like abusive parenting with the main character.

I certainly did not expect it to be... whatever kind of shitfest this has turned into.

The amount of subplots introduced and then barely resolved is astronomical in this anime by now. It changes its focus so much that all I have is whiplash. I have no idea what this show wants itself to be anymore. Apparently, as someone else here so eloquently put, this is now basically "bad parent of the week" OMEGALUL.

I also like how the show hyped us up for the second match of the boys vs. the girls, and then WE DON'T EVEN GET TO SEE IT?! I really wanted to see exactly how much they'd improved since their first encounter. Would really show development for that side of the anime. But nope, we get baited into getting hyped for it, and then we get nothing. Nice. I guess the show suddenly decided it didn't want to be a sports anime at all anymore, not even partially.

Oh and don't even get me started on that shit with Nao and An-chan...

Oh, and while I'm vomiting out my complaints, while I like that the show addresses issues that sometimes are rarely covered in the anime scene, boy does it feel preachy a lot of the time.

I seriously like a lot of moments in this show, and feel like there's something good here. I just wish it would actually have some degree of focus and not constantly give me whiplash.
Dec 15, 2019 9:08 PM

Nov 2013
It's becoming apparent that this series is creating a lot of loose ends. With the last episode ending in that cliffhanger with Yu's mother discovering his uh.. persuasion, I expected this episode to expand on that, but it's like that never happened.
Seems there's more than can be covered in just 12 episodes. I wish this would go for at least 26, because with all the issues that have been popping up, 26 would barely do it all justice.
Dec 16, 2019 1:15 AM

Aug 2019
The show barely expands on anything, it's honestly a mess when it comes to the plot. I don't mind every one of them having a dramatic life (it be like that sometimes, and the sport is their good thing in life etc.) but they start stuff and it's just going nowhere.
So they find the sister, don't even really talk to him but piece things together for themselves. Like...nothing changed, just this one day is over now, his life is still the same. This is the kind of thing I don't like about this show. This should have been at least 24 episodes if they wanna tackle this much stuff...
For example when Toma's mother showed an extreme aversion towards her son, I was so intrigued...but they just skip to the next person's problem and it's very unsatisfying. I don't know if it's their goal to show only the fact that sometimes in life there are problems and people play tennis...or whatever...?
Nid_ViciousDec 16, 2019 1:19 AM
私だけが自分の夢を見ているのだ
Dec 17, 2019 8:45 PM

Nov 2014
it really isn't necessary for every single character to have some kind of sad backstory
like i get it teens often have shitty family life i was a teen before i know that
but the drama is just too much sometimes
and i haven't seen the drama hinder the plot much
Dec 24, 2019 10:17 AM

Nov 2016
Whoa, Nao gave off some creepy vibes. I felt bad for him last episode, but harsh family circumstances or not what he did in this episode was simply a no go.

And lmao, what's with the paint on Tsubasa's arm.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 29, 2019 2:45 PM

Sep 2011
Is every family in the club totally broken? It's one thing if you want to explore familial abuse by having one or two kids suffer and see how it affects the club, but having every single god damn family have an asshat of a parent is way too much. It reeks of not knowing how to write a complex story. They are going for breadth instead of depth and they are doing it so poorly.
Dec 31, 2019 12:38 AM

Aug 2019
They're clearly hinting at a second season, which just makes me wonder...if you plan on having more than one season, why try and put so much plot into only 12 episodes? It honestly maddens me lol
私だけが自分の夢を見ているのだ
Jan 18, 2020 7:01 PM

Aug 2017
The moment where Shingo's mom worried about her daughter, i knew that it will be used as a plot device. It was worse when psycho Nao locked her.

I thought they were prove themselves as decent tennis players in this episode but they choose to show more generic parents and plot devices. And they forgot to continue yuuta subplot for idk, the direction is a mess.

It's funny when Tsubasa's dad showed up in 5 seconds just to create more drama. There wasn't any hint of him before so i don't care.
This anime is a parody at this point.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Feb 4, 2020 12:58 PM

Aug 2018
Great Episode
- complete -
Feb 21, 2020 4:26 PM

Jun 2014
I'm surprised that the team forgave Nao after he locked Shingo's daughter in the infirmary. Nao's brain has cracked.

Tsubasa's father is quite mean to him, and is responsible for Tsubasa's broken wrist. Unless he forces himself to learn to use his left hand, he won't be able to play soft tennis for two months.

Mar 30, 2020 8:35 AM

Jul 2015
Nao's mental state is pretty fucked up thanks to his "caring" mother

Glad nothing too bad happened to Shingo's sister, situation could have been way worse

Damn do they all have parent issues (Rintaro included even though he got some good foster parents)? I really hope Taiyo doesn't have any because he is the last one without having his backstory shown...

Jul 11, 2020 9:01 AM

Sep 2009
Another episode where I still got amazed by how the story is going.. you can't really tell how the characters would react.. like how they reacted to Nao, etc.
Aug 30, 2020 8:34 PM
Oct 2019
What kind of freakazoid lunatic sociopath locks a little child in a room and doesn't tell anyone where she is when she's missing and EVERYONE is worried sick about her?!

And goddammit, more asshole parents abusing their children. This show pisses me off like nothing I've ever watched.

And sorry, but Mr. Good two shoes Maki is annoying af.
HagePotPotatoAug 30, 2020 8:48 PM
Apr 21, 2021 5:00 AM

Nov 2009
I do like this show but it's just way over the top when compared to actual statistics. It worked when a couple of characters were facing problems at home it's realistic but not when literally every single character in the entire fucking story has a shitbag parent like I get wanting to tell these stories but holy shit too much is too much.
Aug 4, 2021 1:39 PM

Jan 2021
I feel every single parent in this show is shitty.
Oct 19, 2022 7:45 AM

Jan 2021
I fucking hate Tsubasa's father what the fuck
I wish he burns in hell like Nao's mother I also hate that bitch!
Dec 7, 2022 4:57 AM
May 2011
Watching the dub with subtitles/closed captions, and they always refer to the parents as "An's Mom" and "An's Dad", not Shingo's. Then, in the post credits scene, the woman mentions that Shingo is starting to look like his mother, so it's safe to say she is not Shingo's mother. Now, in the dub, she says that it's just a thing with boys that they begin to resemble their mothers, so I checked the sub, and the translation there is generalized to children. Then, the father says that's Shingo's aunt looks like him, and the camera cuts to An to show that he is looking at her. Add to that his elderly appearance, and I think the old man is actually Shingo's grandfather who has been raising him since he was a baby.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Who let Kathleen Kennedy to make anime?

LostInLove - Apr 24

6 by Carpblub »»
60 minutes ago

Poll: » Hoshiai no Sora Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 26, 2019

238 by thatguyevan »»
Apr 11, 9:46 PM

» "Special Fan Movie" Has Been Released

zamandzoe - May 20, 2020

22 by quietkun27 »»
Feb 23, 7:16 AM

Poll: » Hoshiai no Sora Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

130 by Limi »»
Dec 24, 2023 6:31 AM

» Continuation...

Kurdo - Apr 19, 2021

19 by DmonHiro »»
Nov 25, 2023 4:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.