Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 20, 2019 7:39 AM

Feb 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Jeez, can I please have a break ? Babylon #7 aired just two days ago, you know ? Another gruesome scene this week. The chase for Anotsu continues. I was kinda bothered by how chill Rin was with Shira considering the last scene from the previous episode, but then she goes and says this:

Oh so.. I guess him serving you dog meat wasn't really enough to make you realize he's got a few screws loose. Not that big of a deal anyway, right ?
Nov 20, 2019 8:48 AM

Apr 2016
The dude has a bad habit of mutilating prostitutes.
Nov 20, 2019 11:50 AM

Nov 2019
Watching this show is a peculiar experience. On one hand I’m saddened by all the little moments, interactions and details that are inevitably lost in translation, on the other I’m amazed at how they still manage to make each episode compelling and coherent while adapting and condensing so much material. This story in particular was pretty elaborate with a lot of elements to keep track of, like the whole insider thing, but it was still done well enough that it didn’t feel hard to follow in the anime. And the art looked particularly good in this episode.

I do wish they hadn’t skipped Shira fighting the two men though. It was important to see how thoroughly he dominated and destroyed them, and how his overwhelming strength inspired both fear and awe in Rin, who’s desperate to become stronger and tired of being unable to help Manji, who always ends up in a bloody mess as a result. That’s why at first she kind of envies Shira’s strength in spite of it all, but then once he turns to the unarmed woman and shows just how nasty he can be, well, that’s when she realizes that being an extremely efficient killer may come with a price, and that she wants nothing to do with his kind of strength.

The scene with Magatsu finding out about O-Ren’s fate was short but powerful. Looking forward to seeing where he goes from here.
AmarantineAzureNov 20, 2019 11:53 AM
Nov 20, 2019 1:12 PM

Jul 2013
It was all fine until they skipped Shira's fight. One of the strengths of this manga are the fights, so having it skipped, even more when it was the battle that shows the audience how good of a fighter Shira is, was a complete letdown. Hopefully it will be the only "important" fight that this adaptation will skip.
Nov 20, 2019 3:05 PM

Feb 2015
Gratuitous violence, joy. Putting aside that cheap emotional rage bait trick via rape making its second appearance in a row, Rin continuing to get surprised or morally outraged or whatever is kind of stupid. Having met like 20 psychopaths, you'd think she'd stop trusting these people, especially one that fucking fed her a dog, and then acting surprised and hurt when their lunacy makes a reappearance. The "fool me once" idiom comes to mind. This character makes no sense, for what reason, be it the author's idiocy, the animation studio's idiocy, or something else, I do not know.
Nov 20, 2019 5:01 PM

Nov 2013
nah fuck this anime, i'm out. samurai animes are all about hurting random people who have little to no reason to ...i can't imagine what happened at those ages

also either kill or rape, raping while cutting is just plain fucking retarded

i'll give it a 5 just because it made me stick for 8 episodes even if none of them were that enjoyable lmao
fav "new" girls from winter <3 (2 extra girls this time, but 36 seasonals so whatever) ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Nov 20, 2019 10:23 PM

Mar 2019
That was awesome. Excellent episode.

winddevil1 said:
nah fuck this anime, i'm out. samurai animes are all about hurting random people who have little to no reason to ...i can't imagine what happened at those ages

i'll give it a 5 just because it made me stick for 8 episodes even if none of them were that enjoyable lmao

Amazon warns you that this anime has graphic violence, language, and nudity including rape. You're a moron for ignoring the warning. You don't need a reason for attempting to rape someone. It's fucking rape. Idiot.
Nov 21, 2019 5:11 AM

May 2012
I liked this episode

But I don't like the warning that amazon put at the beginning. I can easily watch something that is 10x violent this anime. it is not that violent and rape was barely shown. I was expecting more when they said rape in the warning.
Nov 21, 2019 6:31 AM
Feb 2019
the show is getting better. but i wished that they would animate the fight scenes.maybe not enough screen time, who knows. and is it just me, but it kinda feels like Manji has feelings for rin, well its kinda hinted throughout but maybe that's just me thinking that way 😂.
Nov 21, 2019 6:44 AM

Nov 2013
poemofdevil said:

winddevil1 said:

Amazon warns you that this anime has graphic violence, language, and nudity including rape. You're a moron for ignoring the warning. You don't need a reason for attempting to rape someone. It's fucking rape. Idiot.

i know about the warning, i saw it 8 times already. it still doesn't excuse the fact it's not just rape...do you have to cut a person to bits just because you wanna rape them? do you have to rape a person just because you wanna kill them? do one or the other, not both at same time.
if anything i would love to know your reason to why they killed the other girl last episode
and whatever, i don't care about this anime anyway, i'm not even sure why i picked it up.
fav "new" girls from winter <3 (2 extra girls this time, but 36 seasonals so whatever) ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Nov 21, 2019 7:00 AM

Nov 2019
winddevil1 said:
if anything i would love to know your reason to why they killed the other girl last episode

Shira is part of a group that wants to take down the Itto-ryuu. He went to that place in order to kill Magatsu who was staying there, but since Magatsu had already left, he questioned the prostitute that worked there and knew him. But she loved Magatsu, so she didn't give Shira any information about his whereabouts or destination, so Shira got mad and killed her. He's a psychopath who has no qualms about torturing or killing innocent and unarmed people.
Nov 21, 2019 8:49 AM
Mar 2015
Shinra at his worst in the end leaves empty handed
Nov 21, 2019 10:09 AM

Sep 2016
no two ways about it, this was a bad episode.
probably due to the episode director.
Objectivity doesn't exist. Subjectivity is an excuse. Beautiful world of online discourse.

Nov 21, 2019 10:11 AM

Sep 2016
thepath said:
I liked this episode

But I don't like the warning that amazon put at the beginning. I can easily watch something that is 10x violent this anime. it is not that violent and rape was barely shown. I was expecting more when they said rape in the warning.

duuuuuuude you're so hard hahaha hell yeah man, violence is awesome!
Objectivity doesn't exist. Subjectivity is an excuse. Beautiful world of online discourse.

Nov 21, 2019 12:21 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
That scene at the end was tough to watch. How long before Rin finally wisens up to the fact that the world she inhabits is full of sadistic killers? I hope Shinra dies out there of blood loss, but somehow I doubt it.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Nov 21, 2019 8:36 PM
Jan 2016
It's just me who laughed so hard when manji said to shira to ignored him after cutting his arm? Manji's such a badass.
Nov 21, 2019 8:51 PM

Aug 2017
This episode is awesome. So awesome that I'm furious with Shira, I was hoping that Manji will slice him more killing someone who is unarmed is uncalled for, a true samurai has more honor, (IHMO)

Nov 22, 2019 2:25 AM

Nov 2019
mayfair2024 said:
This episode is awesome. So awesome that I'm furious with Shira, I was hoping that Manji will slice him more killing someone who is unarmed is uncalled for, a true samurai has more honor, (IHMO)

Shira's not a samurai, he's a rogue swordsman just like the Itto-ryuu.

Also one of the points of this show is that samurai were quite capable of being cruel and brutal and not honorable at all. :p
Nov 22, 2019 9:26 AM

Apr 2013
why did it feel short? anyone bored? like nothing happened... Why are they butchering content... Please show us more and not timeskip like 70% of what suppose to happen.
Also Shinra is a man of culture he just didn't like her beautymark that' all.
Nov 22, 2019 1:58 PM
Jul 2019
Man, Rin should know better to not butt in.
Nov 22, 2019 2:43 PM

Nov 2019
RavBTW said:
why did it feel short? anyone bored? like nothing happened... Why are they butchering content... Please show us more and not timeskip like 70% of what suppose to happen.

The plan is to reach the conclusion of the manga, and the anime only has 24 episodes. So expect this pacing of one volume per episode to stay. Might as well get used to the idea that this will be a very condensed telling of the story and just try to enjoy it as much as possible.
Nov 22, 2019 6:48 PM

Aug 2017
AmarantineAzure said:
mayfair2024 said:

Shira's not a samurai, he's a rogue swordsman just like the Itto-ryuu.

Also one of the points of this show is that samurai were quite capable of being cruel and brutal and not honorable at all. :p

Actually Manji IS A CURSED Samurai, he has a Lord before but he killed him when he found out that his corrupt. He was hunted which resulted to killing 100 policemen.

Nov 22, 2019 9:23 PM

Apr 2013
AmarantineAzure said:
RavBTW said:

The plan is to reach the conclusion of the manga, and the anime only has 24 episodes. So expect this pacing of one volume per episode to stay. Might as well get used to the idea that this will be a very condensed telling of the story and just try to enjoy it as much as possible.

but don't they have common sense when were making this? at one screen character drink something and at the next scene they are randomly in space trying to fight for the galaxy with no reason or any context explained whatsoever? thats how it feels when P tried ep1 I stopped cause theres no way it's just that so I went and watched the original 12 eps and I know now that they rushed it by alot and now feels or looks like they are butchering manga and I haven't touched the manga.
UiaiNov 22, 2019 9:27 PM
Nov 23, 2019 1:33 AM

Dec 2010
winddevil1 said:
poemofdevil said:

i know about the warning, i saw it 8 times already. it still doesn't excuse the fact it's not just rape...do you have to cut a person to bits just because you wanna rape them? do you have to rape a person just because you wanna kill them? do one or the other, not both at same time.
and whatever, i don't care about this anime anyway, i'm not even sure why i picked it up.

The guy kills and rapes because he enjoys killing and raping. Why not do both at the same time? Clearly this is not a character any decent human should sympathize with but he's not totally unrealistic. It's a harsh world out there... especially for prostitutes.
Nov 23, 2019 3:11 AM
Apr 2018
My man boob is hurting. Damn that was gruesome.
Nov 23, 2019 4:13 PM

Mar 2011
okay i'm starting to get frustrated by the lack of a coherent thread from episode-to-episode, especially concerning character relationships.

we ended episode 7 with rin being horrified because shira fed her dog meat, but in this episode she's okay with being alone with him on a mission? and there's absolutely no resolution to him cruelly tricking her like that? plus, he previously admitted that he's an awful person, so why was she so surprised that he was torturing that girl like a monster?? it was a horrifying scene, but what made rin think he was any different from the people she swore revenge on? she's literally surrounding herself with murderers in order to kill other murderers.

i legitimately don't understand 1) why rin is not evolving as a character yet and still chooses to trust anyone around her (besides manji MAYBE), and 2) why character relationships seem to lack explanation and/or realistic development. it's like every episode just exists in a bubble.

is this a flaw in the anime director's choices? or is the original story just like this? i wanted to like this show but i'm at a loss after this episode
fragilefireNov 23, 2019 4:18 PM
Nov 23, 2019 6:35 PM
Jan 2011
AmarantineAzure said:

I do wish they hadn’t skipped Shira fighting the two men though. It was important to see how thoroughly he dominated and destroyed them, and how his overwhelming strength inspired both fear and awe in Rin, who’s desperate to become stronger and tired of being unable to help Manji, who always ends up in a bloody mess as a result. That’s why at first she kind of envies Shira’s strength in spite of it all, but then once he turns to the unarmed woman and shows just how nasty he can be, well, that’s when she realizes that being an extremely efficient killer may come with a price, and that she wants nothing to do with his kind of strength.

Thx for the analysis of the original material to fill up the blanks. It appears this truly runs much deeper than the series lets on. What a shame. It is not often that one would see ambivalence on full display like this, we are missing out on a lot it seems. I mean, the theme is there, Rin kinda deciding how to tackle the revenge and strength questions, but what you are describing here is whole another layer of sweets underneath.
Nov 23, 2019 6:45 PM
Jan 2011
winddevil said:

do you have to cut a person to bits just because you wanna rape them? do you have to rape a person just because you wanna kill them? do one or the other, not both at same time.

Does killing or raping a person make any sense to you? Really?

The guy is a sadistic freak, what more logic is there to be found? He wasn't killing the person, he was torturing her, to squirm out of his inferiority complex and to fulfill his sadistic needs.
Nov 23, 2019 8:14 PM

Oct 2008
and again! so brutal!
good for you Shira you got Karma!
5/5.

Nov 24, 2019 4:28 AM

Nov 2019
fragilefire said:
okay i'm starting to get frustrated by the lack of a coherent thread from episode-to-episode, especially concerning character relationships.

we ended episode 7 with rin being horrified because shira fed her dog meat, but in this episode she's okay with being alone with him on a mission? and there's absolutely no resolution to him cruelly tricking her like that? plus, he previously admitted that he's an awful person, so why was she so surprised that he was torturing that girl like a monster?? it was a horrifying scene, but what made rin think he was any different from the people she swore revenge on? she's literally surrounding herself with murderers in order to kill other murderers.

i legitimately don't understand 1) why rin is not evolving as a character yet and still chooses to trust anyone around her (besides manji MAYBE), and 2) why character relationships seem to lack explanation and/or realistic development. it's like every episode just exists in a bubble.

is this a flaw in the anime director's choices? or is the original story just like this? i wanted to like this show but i'm at a loss after this episode

I mean, Shira pulled a cruel prank on Rin, but the Mugai-ryuu could still prove to be valuable allies in the fight against the Itto-ryuu (and clearly Rin is feeling bad for not being able to help Manji, who always ends up in a bloody mess fighting alone, so they could use some allies) so she put the incident with the dog behind her and went to meet with the group, which Shira is just a member of and certainly not the leader. And as we saw, Hyakurin and the rest were pleasant enough towards them, so I don't see it as being that crazy that she still decided to work with them.

As for why she went alone with Shira, it was just bad timing. Manji wasn't around at the time and "Anotsu" was leaving and she might never get another chance to face him if he managed to leave to Kaga, so she went with the Mugai-ryuu member that happened to be around, and that was Shira. And Rin didn't know he was a rapist. All she knew was that he's been killing people for money since he was 16, which in the brutal world they live in isn't as crazy as it might seem to us.

And I don't think it's fair to say Rin is not evolving as a character, just compare her in this episode to what she said previously (in episode 3):
https://i.imgur.com/FHfbnR0.jpg

The story of this arc was that Rin was frustrated by her own weakness (and consequent inability to help Manji and succeed in her quest for revenge) and desperate to become stronger, and after seeing Shira's strength, confidence and fearlessness, she starts thinking that she needs to become more ruthless like him in order to grow stronger as well. So even with the dog incident, she kind of convinces herself to see it as a "harsh lesson" from Shira about the brutal nature of the world and how she needs to become tougher to thrive in it.

But once she saw him doing what he did to that woman, she realized the full extent of his ruthlessness and how it not only made him strong, it also made him a monster, and that she's not willing to sink that low even for the sake of her revenge. That's solid character development IMO, but yes, part of why it might not be as effective here is due to the condensed nature of the anime. The manga is definitely more in-depth and themes and character dynamics are clearer in it. Not really the director's fault though, he's doing the best he can with what he has, which is 24 episodes to tell a story that ran 30 volumes in the manga.

sspit said:
Thx for the analysis of the original material to fill up the blanks. It appears this truly runs much deeper than the series lets on. What a shame. It is not often that one would see ambivalence on full display like this, we are missing out on a lot it seems. I mean, the theme is there, Rin kinda deciding how to tackle the revenge and strength questions, but what you are describing here is whole another layer of sweets underneath.

Yeah, the anime's breakneck pace definitely means it inevitably loses out on some layers of story and meaning, unfortunately. Not only that, with the dialogue scenes being so condensed, the characters aren't as fleshed out, so naturally the audience won't get as emotionally invested in them, which makes the whole story less involving and impactful.

I'm still enjoying the adaptation for what it is, but I definitely recommended anyone who's intrigued by this story to check out the manga eventually, reading it will really feel like an uncut version of what you're seeing in the anime.
AmarantineAzureNov 24, 2019 5:41 AM
Nov 24, 2019 4:33 PM

Jul 2017
The first (or second) breakneck speed arc: Heart of Darkness. This episode really is the epitomy of condensed content, compared to the "On Silent Wings" arc few episodes back.

As so happens, the group that wants to annihilate the Itto-Ryu met up with Rin and Manji to negotiate terms and collaborate together.

Rin obviously still wants Anotsu dead so she can experience peace and liberty of revenge, but all she needs now is information from insiders to aid in identifying him as his identity is under wraps and not as easy as an oversighted enemy.

Manji and the others are on their way, but obviously left Rin behind for reasons, and she is paired with Shira. The moments of Shira's inhumane actions are just the same as feeding Rin dog meat last episode, just with more gore and such.

To miss the fights of this series is sin, but IMO the biggest sin is that everything is just too fast for its own good. To read the manga would be the best option, as much as this adaptation is trying so much to show justice condescendingly.
Nov 25, 2019 11:54 AM

Apr 2017
Every week I think about how good this adaptation would be if they did 24+24 episodes and I feel really sad about it.

For people who're wondering why these characters behave the way they are, I highly recommend to check the manga. You can understand everything better there.

I'm still enjoying the series but since the manga was one of my all time favorites, I still hoped it would be better. This series deserve better.

Berserk, Overlord, Blade of the Immortal, Gantz. All of my favorites get shitty treatment in anime department it makes me really sad.
Nov 26, 2019 8:25 AM

Nov 2019
BroxSaurfang said:
Every week I think about how good this adaptation would be if they did 24+24 episodes and I feel really sad about it.

I know, right? Even with the obviously modest budget, I think Hamasaki could have made a classic with two seasons of 24 episodes. But alas, this is what we got.

BroxSaurfang said:
Berserk, Overlord, Blade of the Immortal, Gantz. All of my favorites get shitty treatment in anime department it makes me really sad.

Seinen manga do seem cursed, but hey, at least Vinland Saga is getting a stellar adaptation.
Nov 26, 2019 3:48 PM

Jul 2017
Ok this ep wasn't all that bad tbh.

At least the explanation above helps make Rin's uselessness less painful to watch
Mar 10, 2020 5:24 PM
Apr 2016
That was just messed up... especially since people are actually into gory intercourses just like that guy. That said, it's an amazing extra-amazing episode!
Apr 16, 2020 4:55 AM

Jul 2015
Shira really is one nasty guy, a real psycho but I don't think the warning at the start of each episode was necessary since there are anime out there that show way more

Don't think Rin should have gone with him seeing last episode's end

Jun 9, 2022 4:28 AM

Jul 2016
fragilefire said:

I also felt jarred by the ending of the last episode and then all of a sudden Rin is just happy to be sitting there next to Shira?
May 9, 2023 9:11 AM
May 2022
Stunning, hard hitting episode. This is an amazing series, I'm loving it and Ayane Sakura's performance is brilliant!
11 hours ago
Jul 2023
Well that was fucking hard to watch
- Anotsu will be crossdressing? Interesting
- I bet that lady in the shop that Rin was talking to is him. She’s mad suspicious
- Dropping that item on the floor was so badass lol
- Shira is actually discussing. Cutting someone up while raping them? Really?
- Good on ya Manji

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mugen no Juunin: Immortal Episode 9 Discussion

Hatsuyuki - Nov 27, 2019

28 by Apreggi »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Mugen no Juunin: Immortal Episode 7 Discussion

Hatsuyuki - Nov 13, 2019

36 by Apreggi »»
12 hours ago

Poll: » Mugen no Juunin: Immortal Episode 6 Discussion

Illyricus - Nov 6, 2019

36 by Apreggi »»
Yesterday, 8:14 PM

Poll: » Mugen no Juunin: Immortal Episode 5 Discussion

Hatsuyuki - Oct 30, 2019

23 by Apreggi »»
Apr 24, 5:03 AM

Poll: » Mugen no Juunin: Immortal Episode 4 Discussion

Rider9530 - Oct 23, 2019

38 by Apreggi »»
Apr 21, 10:36 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.