Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Nov 15, 2019 2:37 PM

Jan 2014
Orhunaa said:

My reasoning is that restricting the term to artstyle excludes many works. Anime isn't uniform, neither in its aesthetics, nor in its way of storytelling. Any artistic limitation on the word anime is tantamount to cutting away part of the culture which many people associate with themselves.

The thing is, that's how people have been using the word. I didn't choose that or make it up. We can continue to correct every single one of the 10000 people that call Avatar and Castlevania etc. an anime or we accept that things are changing.

I also don't understand how it's a limitation at all. We are saying "this looks like most anime do, it's okay to call it an anime too." which doesn't mean we also say "this doesn't look like anime, so it's not anime". Maybe one day the word will just be used as a synonym for animation, as it is in Japanese. Who knows. Shouldn't be a problem.

Also... " cutting away part of the culture " What? If even the country it comes from doesn't give their own work a special title treatment, I don't see why the rest of the world feels the need to. Kind of reminds me of gatekeeping. And people are gatekeeping a gate that doesn't even belong to them.
BeautifulDirtNov 15, 2019 2:45 PM
Nov 15, 2019 3:04 PM

Oct 2015
BeautifulDirt said:

I also don't understand how it's a limitation at all. We are saying "this looks like most anime do, it's okay to call it an anime too." which doesn't mean we also say "this doesn't look like anime, so it's not anime". Maybe one day the word will just be used as a synonym for animation, as it is in Japanese. Who knows. Shouldn't be a problem.

It actually does, if we want to be consistent in our logic. If we define anime by its aesthetics, the logical corollary of that would be that something which doesn't align with that aesthetic criterion is not an anime.

BeautifulDirt said:

Also... " cutting away part of the culture " What?

I'm talking about cutting away works that are Japanese animation but no longer satisfy the definition of anime.

BeautifulDirt said:
What? If even the country it comes from doesn't give their own work a special title treatment, I don't see why the rest of the world feels the need to.

It's for convenience's sake. We could have a cartoons database where everything animated exists but specialized sites to cater to people to a greater degree is more beneficial. Also Japanese people kinda do it as well, in their site Anikore only Japanese animation is listed as far as I know.
Nov 15, 2019 3:25 PM

May 2018
Peeti said:
I wanna ask you about movies like west animated movies

Why me?

Peeti said:
as they had a high budget

Not all of them.

Peeti said:
So, how is their animation? How different are they?

From what, each other? Usually yes.
But how should I know? Haven't watched them all...not even possible.

For example I liked the animation of Dofus, livre 1 : Julith...also the animation in the rest of Dofus and Wakfu. But what this means on a bigger scale?

Peeti said:
Or even tv series.

Randomly liked Over the Garden Wall, Infinity Train and Carmen Sandiego...this has nothing to do with what are you asking for...because I still don't know what are you asking me...

Peeti said:
Well only if you want though.

I am pretty sure that you don't know what you want to ask me too.
Nov 15, 2019 4:08 PM

Jan 2014
Orhunaa said:
It actually does, if we want to be consistent in our logic. If we define anime by its aesthetics, the logical corollary of that would be that something which doesn't align with that aesthetic criterion is not an anime.

Lol, you can't just be like "you might say that's how you mean it but I don't allow you to". I want the definition of Anime to be loosened, that is all. Not as harsh of a black and white definition as you apparently need it to be. I'm fine if both Japanese animation and other animation that has a style associated with Japanese animation is called anime.

Orhunaa said:
It's for convenience's sake.

Imo it's inconvenient to not describe what looks and feels like anime as anime.. Really, I will never understand people that make a deal out of whether someone says "hey, give Avatar a try, it's also anime" or "hey, give Avatar a try, it's an anime-styled cartoon"...

Orhunaa said:
We could have a cartoons database where everything animated exists but specialized sites to cater to people to a greater degree is more beneficial.

I'm sure you realise that there will never be as many people that want Rick and Morty added on here as there are people that want Castlevania or Avatar. And since the amount of people is so high, I don't know why we should fight the general notion so much.

Anyway, I don't really care about the databases. If sites only want Japanese animation, whatever. I'm more talking about whether people should be allowed to call other series anime or not.

Nov 15, 2019 5:17 PM

Mar 2015
I wouldn't say that. There's a clear difference between anime and avatar aside from the animation and non-episodic story.

Besides that, I personally would like to have a term to identify Japanese animation. It's just so different from everything else and I would hate to put spongebob and Kaiji into the same catagory.
woah there
Nov 15, 2019 8:01 PM

Sep 2019
alshu said:
Peeti said:
I wanna ask you about movies like west animated movies

Why me?

Peeti said:
as they had a high budget

Not all of them.

Peeti said:
So, how is their animation? How different are they?

From what, each other? Usually yes.
But how should I know? Haven't watched them all...not even possible.

For example I liked the animation of Dofus, livre 1 : Julith...also the animation in the rest of Dofus and Wakfu. But what this means on a bigger scale?

Peeti said:
Or even tv series.

Randomly liked Over the Garden Wall, Infinity Train and Carmen Sandiego...this has nothing to do with what are you asking for...because I still don't know what are you asking me...

Peeti said:
Well only if you want though.

I am pretty sure that you don't know what you want to ask me too.
I do know what I wanna ask though.👻
"I think I wanted to attack something. Like betraying people or hurting people. And, well, it's not exactly nice, but hurting the readers too... In all honestly, I feel that's what I really wanted to do. For me, as a reader, when I think, "this manga will remain in my heart," it means, for example, it phenomenally hurt me: It's those kinds of experiences I'm after." - Pajime Hisayama (My favourite hurting author).
Nov 15, 2019 8:04 PM

Jun 2016
So are Tom and Jerry & Spongebob Squarepants
Nov 15, 2019 11:27 PM
Nov 2018
“Anime shows do not have the same characteristic as western cartoons such as Adventure Time, Regular Show, or any other show on the Cartoon Network channel. Every western cartoon show is over-exaggerated and are not anatomically correct to the human body or human activity.” This came from some American blog, the person who wrote it has clearly not seen anime. Anime IS over-exaggerated, there are quite a few anime that ARE NOT anatomically correct to the human body. Art style alone can’t differentiate Anime from cartoons, place of origin shouldn’t be the determining factor of what makes anime anime, and what about the “cartoons” made in Japan - do they count as anime too? I don’t see people jumping around talking about ‘Hello Kitty’ , ‘Mrs Sazae’ etc. if I ask someone at a convention they’d tell me those were cartoons and look at me like a plebeian, but In actuality both those ‘cartoons’ were made in Japan, and I feel hard pressed to call them anime - at this point Hello Kitty feels like a Western thing than it is a Japanese thing. We should expand the meaning of anime, maybe to a meaning more abstract - so it may accompass other ‘anime that are not quite anime because they aren’t made in Japan.
NotTswalediNov 16, 2019 1:16 AM
Nov 15, 2019 11:36 PM

Jun 2016
Lmao i'm aware this topic has been around for years but i've never had the chance to comment on it so,
Anime = animation made by japanese people, was Avatar made by japanese animators? I don't think so.
Nov 16, 2019 1:11 AM
Jul 2018
CommieCool said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:
1. It's still 2019

2. Avatar is kinda anime. Because the art style kinda fits. It's more anime than Teen Titans, but less anime than RWBY. RWBY is definitely anime.

You've listed animation. The line between anime and western animation is being blurred with westerners working on anime in Japan and via the internet. Western companies are more often part of production committees, and anime is increasingly made to appeal to an international audience. Let's just call it all animation and end this circular debate.

Even foreigners in Japan have to adapt to the Japanese production and streamlining process. Difference is as strong as between comics and manga
Nov 16, 2019 2:49 AM

Jun 2016
petran79 said:

Even foreigners in Japan have to adapt to the Japanese production and streamlining process. Difference is as strong as between comics and manga

What I meant to say is, anime is called something different from other animation because it's made by Japanese people and anime is the Japanese word for animation. So if non-Japanese people eventually outnumber Japanese in anime production, should it still be called anime?
Nov 16, 2019 3:00 AM
Jul 2018
If avatar is anime then calvin and hobbes is manga
Nov 16, 2019 3:08 AM

Sep 2018
Ok so I've read a bit on this thread and people are saying that anime are only stuff made in Japan but...

Aren't Chinese and Korean stuff also considered anime? In that case is it not a matter of style then? Or maybe anime are Asian stuff in general? Similar cultures?

Also, how much of the show has to be made in Japan? Animation is often outsourced and foreign artists are getting involved more and more.
Especially regarding the music, anime is taking stuff from the west more and more I think. I don't have the statistics but from the top of my head, Kevin Penkin for Made in Abyss.
Not quite sure but Carole and Tuesday definitely sounded like there were some western talent mixed with it. Not surprising considering Netflix's involvement.
Nov 16, 2019 7:12 AM

Jan 2017
I'm coming back from the future of 2069 and avatar is still not an anime
Nov 16, 2019 9:03 AM
Jul 2019
Avatar is animation done using the western Cartoon style. Animes are animation done using the eastern "Anime" style. Both are animation. So it can be, if it really means that much to you.
Nov 16, 2019 9:19 AM
Sep 2019
On this topic, if the show is American produced by animated by a Japanese animation studio, is it or is it not anime?
Ya boy is going to Con Alt Delete 2020! See you there!

Nov 16, 2019 10:29 AM
Jul 2018
I came from the future (2069 to be more precise) to tell you that no it still not (even though I classify it as such.)
Nov 16, 2019 10:31 AM
Nov 2018
rommelcedric said:
On this topic, if the show is American produced by animated by a Japanese animation studio, is it or is it not anime?
The definition of anime is: “Anime (US: /ˈænəˌmeɪ/, UK: /ˈænɪˌmeɪ/)[1] (Japanese: アニメ Hepburn: anime, [aɲime] (About this soundlisten), plural: anime)[a] is hand-drawn and computer animation originating from or associated with Japan.” By this definition, Avatar would qualify as an anime since it’s largely associated with Japan🤣🤔
Nov 16, 2019 10:43 AM

Feb 2014
GatesOfOblivion said:
Avatar is animation done using the western Cartoon style. Animes are animation done using the eastern "Anime" style. Both are animation. So it can be, if it really means that much to you.

Yeah, avatar doesn't have the usual limited animation you find in most anime. So it's not exactly "anime" in that regard either. The mouth flaps and the shapes they make also match the words (like a cartoon), they don't just flap open and shut like a goldfish's mouth. And besides the design of the eyes (just eyes, not even irises), the overall character designs are very much like any western cartoon. For one, ATLA's character designs were inspired by FLCL (Aang even looks like a bald twin of Naota), and FLCL itself doesn't look like a "typical" anime. Gainax original anime have their own distinct visual style. And the characters (in ATLA) have actual noses, not the usual "dots" or pointy "triangles" that pass for nose in a "typical" anime. And the 3rd season even has a "higher contrast" look that cartoons have, with vivid colors and dark shadows, rather than the slightly washed out look that most anime have.

But yeah, to the Japanese everything animated is "anime", whether it's "anime" anime, Tom and Jerry, Batman: TAS, Adventure Time, Frozen, or Shrek. So it's already anime depending upon who you ask.
VhailorNov 16, 2019 10:50 AM
Nov 16, 2019 11:05 AM

Sep 2007
Breadwinnerr said:
rommelcedric said:
The definition of anime is: “Anime (US: /ˈænəˌmeɪ/, UK: /ˈænɪˌmeɪ/)[1] (Japanese: アニメ Hepburn: anime, [aɲime] (About this soundlisten), plural: anime)[a] is hand-drawn and computer animation originating from or associated with Japan.” By this definition, Avatar would qualify as an anime since it’s largely associated with Japan🤣🤔

What the hell are you smoking? how is it associated with japan outside of idiots calling it anime for 15 years because they're insecure about it being a cartoon.
Nov 16, 2019 11:45 AM
Jan 2018
Anime is anime but how one sees anime is how one defines anime. It’s all a matter of perspective and opinion. Saying just animated shows from Japan is anime is one such perspective. But people have said and agreed that animated shows from Korea and China are anime. And there has been animated shows from the USA that have anime art styles and influence. So the definition of anime is different from one person to the next and that’s how anime has been able to grow and evolve.
TygerPowers9767Nov 16, 2019 11:52 AM
Nov 16, 2019 11:49 AM

Aug 2017
Avatar is a western cartoon, not an anime.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Nov 16, 2019 12:26 PM
Jul 2018
CommieCool said:
petran79 said:

What I meant to say is, anime is called something different from other animation because it's made by Japanese people and anime is the Japanese word for animation. So if non-Japanese people eventually outnumber Japanese in anime production, should it still be called anime?

This is easy and there are examples. First the opposite case.
Watch the end credits for the Last Unicorn. Majority of staff are Japanese animators. Yet film is considered an American cartoon.

Also Artisan Game Studios, a Canadian video game studio, is developing the new Neptunia game. Yet game is still considered a JRPG

http://www.artisangamestudios.com/games/super_neptunia_rpg/6/

Nov 16, 2019 12:30 PM
Nov 2018
Rahkshilord said:
Breadwinnerr said:

What the hell are you smoking? how is it associated with japan outside of idiots calling it anime for 15 years because they're insecure about it being a cartoon.
Not one person in the history of life has called Hello Kitty an anime hence one would say it is not associated with Japan. However since it is made in Japan (by the traditional definition of anime) it is anime😂 I’m sorry but Avatar is X1000 times more anime than Hello Kitty. And a lot of the stuff the Nippon Studio puts out
Nov 16, 2019 12:31 PM
Jul 2017
If it ain’t in the MAL data base then it ain’t anime.
Nov 16, 2019 12:37 PM

Aug 2015
I prefer to call it "The best cartoon to ever exist"
Nov 16, 2019 12:55 PM

Jun 2016
petran79 said:

Watch the end credits for the Last Unicorn. Majority of staff are Japanese animators. Yet film is considered an American cartoon.

So you're saying anime is made for Japan and cartoons are made for the west. Makes sense.
This would mean ATLA, Castlevania and RWBY are all cartoons since they're made for the west, even though they use the anime artstyle. You've convinced me on this definition.
Nov 16, 2019 1:14 PM
Nov 2018
CommieCool said:
petran79 said:

So you're saying anime is made for Japan and cartoons are made for the west. Makes sense.
This would mean ATLA, Castlevania and RWBY are all cartoons since they're made for the west, even though they use the anime artstyle. You've convinced me on this definition.
I guess it makes sense, but there’s quite a lot of anime I’ve seen that almost feel like they’re speaking to a western audience. Kinda like the South Park references in FLCL, also like how Hello Kitty is more of a western thing than it is a Japanese thing.
Nov 16, 2019 1:42 PM

Jan 2018
Breadwinnerr said:
CommieCool said:

I guess it makes sense, but there’s quite a lot of anime I’ve seen that almost feel like they’re speaking to a western audience. Kinda like the South Park references in FLCL, also like how Hello Kitty is more of a western thing than it is a Japanese thing.

Anime with a western influence are still anime, much like how animated cartoons with an anime influence (Avatar, RWBY) are still cartoons.

I don't know why you keep bringing up Hello Kitty since the character and I believe most of the Hello Kitty series were made in Japan like Furry Tale Theater. Just because the character is well known in the west and most people are ignorant of where it originated doesn't really change anything.
TubbyNov 16, 2019 2:15 PM
Nov 16, 2019 2:04 PM

Sep 2011
I wish this argument would die harder than the avatar franchise died with korra.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Nov 16, 2019 2:39 PM
Jan 2018
Phlaryx said:

So you only believe what MAL tells you what anime is and isn’t?
Nov 16, 2019 2:40 PM
Jul 2016
Why does it matter?
For some people it feels like it's almost personal. In all honesty I don't care at all what others call (or don't call) anime, but I personally like tracking how much stuff I have seen and rank them (this is why I use MAL). In my opinion the more stuff added to the DB the better. If Avatar was added to MAL and you've seen it you can choose to add it to your list or choose to stick to your own definition and ignore the fact that it even exists. Since it's not in the DB you can only choose option #2. I understand why MAL sticks to the more strict and better defined definition, otherwise literally any cartoon could be seen as a possible anime. If I could decide what goes on MAL, I would add any cartoon made in Japan regardless of art style AND any cartoon with a anime-ish art style. I don't expect it to happen, but I've accepted that fact.
Nov 16, 2019 3:09 PM

Jun 2016
Breadwinnerr said:

I feel like FLCL was shooting more for an alternative crowd than most anime. South Park is edgy, foreign and was big in 2000. It makes sense for Tsurumaki to include references in FLCL.
Nov 16, 2019 6:41 PM
Jul 2017
TygerPowers9767 said:
Phlaryx said:

So you only believe what MAL tells you what anime is and isn’t?

Nah dude I was just joking around lol.
Nov 16, 2019 6:58 PM

Oct 2013
Why is this even still an argument? And why is Avatar the only cartoon people are aggressively trying to push as an anime? You realize if The Last Airbender is recognized as an anime then by default Legend of Korra would have to be as well. You know, the show a lot of Avatar fans have deemed inferior to the original. Not only that, but there are plenty of other western cartoons that were heavily influenced by their eastern counterpart. Some of which also have a style very similar to anime. If Avatar's in, then all these other shows should be as well. Stop playing favoritism.
Nov 16, 2019 7:18 PM
Jul 2018
It always is since the word anime basically is borrowed from the term "animation". But i don't think i want it to be here just to gain joke supports from the top anime ruiner trolls and downvotes from the bigoted weeaboos because they don't want some weird western 3d animation just like what happened with Pingu in The City in this weebsite. Look at the collective voting bar shape https://myanimelist.net/anime/36259/Pingu_in_the_City/stats
Nov 16, 2019 7:59 PM

Jun 2014
edelgord said:
It always is since the word anime basically is borrowed from the term "animation". But i don't think i want it to be here just to gain joke supports from the top anime ruiner trolls and downvotes from the bigoted weeaboos because they don't want some weird western 3d animation just like what happened with Pingu in The City in this weebsite. Look at the collective voting bar shape https://myanimelist.net/anime/36259/Pingu_in_the_City/stats

Pingu got 1-vote bombed because people were giving it 10 as a meme, it has nothing to do with the quality of the show or people being biased.

I'm willing to bet that only around 5% of the people voting on that entry even watched it.
Nov 16, 2019 8:05 PM

Mar 2016
If it ain't from Japan, it ain't anime. It's literally indicated in the definition. This thread is a magnet. I rest my case.

All the Donghua stuff technically isn't anime, either.
Nov 16, 2019 8:09 PM

Sep 2014
Lmao I thought the James Cameron one was about to get an anime adaption.
Äof course its another Mothers Basement topic. Sigh.

No, Avatar is not an anime.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Nov 16, 2019 8:17 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Idk tbh. I personally consider Avatar to be an anime simply because it looks like one. I never understood the whole argument of "what is anime and what's not" tbh.

In general there shouldn't be any limitations to what can be called an anime. Doesn't matter if you agree or disagree with others.

It's like if people were to argue what would actually qualify a sandwich being a sandwich. It doesn't matter what you put on it, at the end of the day it's still a sandwich. So Avatar not being made in Japan and therefore not being classified as an anime is just plain silly imo.
Nov 16, 2019 11:17 PM
Nov 2018
Breadwinnerr said:
I know I’m just clutching at straws here, I was just caught in a cognitive dissonance of somekind - hitting my head against the wall, trying to come up with a *Clear-Cut* definition of what anime is - a definition that is completely free of any loopholes...Do I really care if Avatar is not considered an anime - No, not really. Do I think what defines an anime as an anime is somewhat vague given the large plethora of anime - Yeah, yeah I do. Just trying to see what others think, Avatar was just an example I could’ve wrote Ben 10😂
So far people are still sticking to the ‘Japanese animation’ definition of anime, and I feel like it’s outdated, and is filled with loopholes.
Nov 17, 2019 1:03 AM

Jul 2012
AntwanMantilla said:
Idk tbh. I personally consider Avatar to be an anime simply because it looks like one. I never understood the whole argument of "what is anime and what's not" tbh.

In general there shouldn't be any limitations to what can be called an anime. Doesn't matter if you agree or disagree with others.

It's like if people were to argue what would actually qualify a sandwich being a sandwich. It doesn't matter what you put on it, at the end of the day it's still a sandwich. So Avatar not being made in Japan and therefore not being classified as an anime is just plain silly imo.

The irony is the example you seemingly randomly picked is actually a fairly common argument. Specifically there's a long running argument about whether say a hot dog is a sandwich that's been around for like half a decade.
GamerDLMNov 17, 2019 1:14 AM
Nov 17, 2019 1:33 AM

Nov 2019
TheKawaiiToon said:
Is Avatar an anime? Well technically yes.

Anime is cartoon and cartoon is anime.

I consider shows like One Piece, Sword Art Online, My Hero Academia, Konosuba, Demon Slayer, Violet Evergarden and Code Geass cartoons.

I consider shows like Avatar, Teen Titans (both series), Spongebob, My Little Pony, Steven Universe, The Miraculous Ladybug and Rick and Morty anime.

In the end, they are all nothing but drawings on paper.

And tbh, this debate is as old and as stale as dubs vs subs and the waifu wars and that's all I can say about this.

technically, all cartoons are anime but not all anime are cartoons. since anima (animéshon=animation) are not restrictive nor exclusive to cartoony stuff.
Nov 17, 2019 9:58 PM
Sep 2019
Breadwinnerr said:
rommelcedric said:

On my question then, an American produced animation that's animated by a Japanese animation studio is anime by that definition then.

Nov 18, 2019 1:04 AM

Jul 2012
rommelcedric said:
Breadwinnerr said:

On my question then, an American produced animation that's animated by a Japanese animation studio is anime by that definition then.

As long as a significant portion of the work is done in Japan then yes. Some examples of what you described could be The Big O season 2 and FLCL seasons 2 and 3 were all co-produced between Japanese studios and Adult Swim/Cartoon Network.

Unless you mean the animation was primarily done in America and then outsourced portions to Japan in which case the answer gets really sketchy but would again fall under the amount of Japanese involvement. If the Japanese studio was just say doing clean up work or in-between animation frames the answer would likely be no, but if they handled like key animations or entire episodes that would be different.

Granted the phrase "American produced animation" doesn't really make sense in the context. Because produced is a very loose term.
GamerDLMNov 18, 2019 1:08 AM
Nov 18, 2019 7:38 AM
Sep 2019
GamerDLM said:
rommelcedric said:

As long as a significant portion of the work is done in Japan then yes. Some examples of what you described could be The Big O season 2 and FLCL seasons 2 and 3 were all co-produced between Japanese studios and Adult Swim/Cartoon Network.

Unless you mean the animation was primarily done in America and then outsourced portions to Japan in which case the answer gets really sketchy but would again fall under the amount of Japanese involvement. If the Japanese studio was just say doing clean up work or in-between animation frames the answer would likely be no, but if they handled like key animations or entire episodes that would be different.

Granted the phrase "American produced animation" doesn't really make sense in the context. Because produced is a very loose term.

Agreed. A Japanese studio was just say doing clean up work or in-between animation frames wouldn't count, most def. What I had in mind was a show that's written and voice acted exclusively by American, but the animation's done by Japanese

Nov 18, 2019 7:46 AM
Jan 2018
If avatar is an anime so is my little pony /s
Nov 18, 2019 9:49 AM
Nov 2018
GamerDLM said:
rommelcedric said:

Okay, but it would be unreasonable for one to expect the average anime fan to go research and find out who had the most involvement: Americans or Japanese people?
Nov 18, 2019 11:19 AM

Jul 2012
Breadwinnerr said:
GamerDLM said:

Okay, but it would be unreasonable for one to expect the average anime fan to go research and find out who had the most involvement: Americans or Japanese people?

Then you can reference sites like anidb or this site which has a definitive criteria for what counts as significant involvement and presumably people who are actually interested in researching staff involvement.

In general staff involvement is not that in depth of a research topic because all it requires would be reading the credits which can be cross referenced to catch all sites like wikipedia.

But it's no more unreasonable than every fan deciding arbitrarily what counts as anime because they're using a subjective measure such as style which is not a consistent thing in anime (unless you just want to pretend like several decades of anime don't exist).

Nov 18, 2019 11:14 PM

Oct 2015
Does it matter? Anime is practically a coined term for Japanese animation, which gained prominence rather being called cartoon in any other countries. Avatar was inspired by Japanese animation, like how Panty and Stocking is inspired by Western cartoon, are we to call Panty and Stocking a cartoon now? Semantically, they are just both animations, just with derivatives, and it should stay like that. Not like being an anime or cartoon can be interpreted as superior, it's simply a placeholder, so I don't understand the pointless buzz.

𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔫𝔞 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠𝔥 𝔶𝔬𝔲,
𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔫' 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔞𝔩𝔩 𝔪𝔶 𝔪𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱

Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Today

37 by Hikinekomori »»
57 seconds ago

» What's your most controversial anime among your favorites? ( 1 2 3 )

Kushna - Apr 5

103 by AverageRiceFan »»
1 minute ago

» What anime tend to get grouped together despite being at least somewhat different from each other, in your opinion? (Think Barbie and Oppenheimer)

arinthach - Apr 11

22 by AverageRiceFan »»
5 minutes ago

» Which 3 unpopular anime from the late 90s-mid 00s would you recommend?

WitherThrakh - Apr 13

18 by AverageRiceFan »»
10 minutes ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 3 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

129 by FFandMMfan »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.