Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 25, 2019 1:36 AM
May 2019
i've seen some popular anime with low quality getting a new season, while the not-so-popular anime but with great quality doesn't get renewed for another season. what are your thoughts on this?
Oct 25, 2019 1:40 AM

Jul 2013
It all depends on what about the show has made it become popular. Some shows are popular because they are good, while some are popular for other reasons, like a particular character or an art style or even nostalgia. Quality isn't necessary for popularity, but it never hurts
Oct 25, 2019 1:46 AM

May 2018
"what are your thoughts on this?"

- People like trash.

- Trash makes more money.

- Sometimes trash that makes you feel good is way more valuable than the finest art.

- You shouldn't care about popularity, just watch whatever suits your current mood: dumb fun or pinnacle of art that makes you reach catharsis.
Oct 25, 2019 1:50 AM
May 2019
alshu said:
"what are your thoughts on this?"

- People like trash.

- Trash makes more money.

- Sometimes trash that makes you feel good is way more valuable than the finest art.

- You shouldn't care about popularity, just watch whatever suits your current mood: dumb fun or pinnacle of art that makes you reach catharsis.
catharsis hahaha, that's a good one
Oct 25, 2019 1:54 AM

Apr 2015
How do u know sth has great quality? Quality is relative n Popularity is more absolute.

Try reading Spy x Family Manga ^_^
U will love it, i promise...
Oct 25, 2019 2:11 AM

May 2018
My opinion>everyone else

Quality is subjective anyway.
Oct 25, 2019 2:15 AM

May 2018
ramdit said:
catharsis hahaha, that's a good one

It's the only true definition of art - if something supposedly of artistic value doesn't make you experience catharsis than it's not true art.

Thus for me Angel's Egg is high art and Your Name is only a generic melodrama told through (retouched) pretty pictures.
alshuOct 25, 2019 2:21 AM
Oct 25, 2019 2:49 AM

Aug 2018
Quality is always the best choice. You are mostly watching something for your own enjoyment.
Oct 25, 2019 2:50 AM

Feb 2013
you should also consider some of these shows were planned as a 2 cour series in the first place (fairy gone, asterisk war, berserk 2016)
Oct 26, 2019 12:35 AM

Feb 2019
Popularity =/= quality

Some shows get popular because of waifus but that doesn't mean they are good.
Oct 26, 2019 12:38 AM

Jan 2009
reminder that popular shows are once highly rated shows too, its just when a show becomes more popular it attracts more haters that way
Oct 26, 2019 12:49 AM
Jul 2018
Probably because it's popular in Japan, the Arifureta anime is somehow getting a 2nd season, why? Because it did pretty well in Japan
Oct 26, 2019 8:42 AM

Sep 2018
People like trash, so trash gets popular cause its well liked.

Trash makes money so every big company goes the safe route only producing trash, since its less risky to fail.

Popularity says absolutly nothing about the quality of something.
Oct 26, 2019 9:08 AM

Oct 2013
Mullerio_ said:

Trash makes money so every big company goes the safe route only producing trash, since its less risky to fail.

Isn't that statement contradicting though? Because in your first sentence you said "People like trash, so trash gets popular cause its well liked"

And my other question is, what about the series that are not popular and also trash at the same time? What do you call those series extra trash?

there is a lot of variable in this and it is not as simple as 1 + 2 = 3, just like the ever lasting debate of objective vs subjective opinion.

This statement is the best answer, if we exclude your first two sentence, but if we add objective vs subjective in the argument, we would be discussing this all day long with no real answer to that question, Why? Because there isn't no true objective opinion, You like some popular series, while you also dislike some popular series, its the same for us all.

Its like trying to find out what came before the universe, and what was there before that, and how was the created to begin with? And its a never ending rabbit hole.

Conclusion, these are things that has no real answer. That doesn't mean we can't discuss/debate these things though.
keragammingOct 26, 2019 9:11 AM
Oct 26, 2019 9:08 AM
Jul 2018
Do things get a new season based solely on popularity? Surely there is more to it. Also is MAL the be all and end all for judging a show's popularity? World wide? And what about merch? Studio? Budget? So many questions.
Oct 26, 2019 9:13 AM
Jul 2018
Is the decision to release a new season even linked to popularity or quality? Netflix seems to be announcing new seasons of shows like 7 Seeds that were neither one nor the other.
Oct 26, 2019 9:29 AM

Feb 2010
operationvalkyri said:
Is the decision to release a new season even linked to popularity or quality? Netflix seems to be announcing new seasons of shows like 7 Seeds that were neither one nor the other.

How do you know? As far as I know Netflix doesn't really publish viewer numbers. MAL numbers are not relevant. And personally I enjoyed 7Seeds quite a lot.

Also I think it was planned to be at least 2 seasons/parts from the start because it already said 'Part 1' when 7Seeds first came out. That kinda implies to me that a part 2 was already part of the plan. Like a split-cour.
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 26, 2019 9:35 AM
Jul 2018
Pullman said:
operationvalkyri said:

How do you know? As far as I know Netflix doesn't really publish viewer numbers. MAL numbers are not relevant. And personally I enjoyed 7Seeds quite a lot.

Also I think it was planned to be at least 2 seasons/parts from the start because it already said 'Part 1' when 7Seeds first came out. That kinda implies to me that a part 2 was already part of the plan. Like a split-cour.
Was going from the lackluster reviews and average ratings of the show. Since the announcement of the second season was a recent news item on MAL I was not aware that it was intended to be a split cour from the start. Thought they wouldn't bother announcing it again if they had already announced it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Oct 26, 2019 9:37 AM
Jul 2018
You can't compare things that aren't in the same realm
It's like comparing kg with ka
Oct 26, 2019 9:43 AM
busy week =_+

Dec 2014
Quality is subjective. I don't actually care that much about graphics quality if the anime itself has great plot/storyline

I can binge watch an anime with crayon shinchan art style if the story was amazing

CURRENT: semi-hiatus (busy)

Oct 26, 2019 10:05 AM

Feb 2010
operationvalkyri said:
Pullman said:

Was going from the lackluster reviews and average ratings of the show. Since the announcement of the second season was a recent news item on MAL I was not aware that it was intended to be a split cour from the start. Thought they wouldn't bother announcing it again if they had already announced it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't think there was an official announcement before, but as I said it was basically implied by how they labeled the first batch of episodes 'Part 1'. I know that from a lot of other Netflix shows (non-anime) and it almost always means that more is coming up, announcement or not. At least I was basically taking it for granted from the start that it would continue and not leave us on the cliffhanger that was the final episode of Part 1.
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 26, 2019 12:22 PM

Sep 2018
keragamming said:
Mullerio_ said:

Isn't that statement contradicting though? Because in your first sentence you said "People like trash, so trash gets popular cause its well liked"

And my other question is, what about the series that are not popular and also trash at the same time? What do you call those series extra trash?

there is a lot of variable in this and it is not as simple as 1 + 2 = 3, just like the ever lasting debate of objective vs subjective opinion.

This statement is the best answer, if we exclude your first two sentence, but if we add objective vs subjective in the argument, we would be discussing this all day long with no real answer to that question, Why? Because there isn't no true objective opinion, You like some popular series, while you also dislike some popular series, its the same for us all.

Its like trying to find out what came before the universe, and what was there before that, and how was the created to begin with? And its a never ending rabbit hole.

Conclusion, these are things that has no real answer. That doesn't mean we can't discuss/debate these things though.

The first 2 answers are merely my own humble opinion.
I already found my answer wich i stated, its for sure not a perfect one but one that does the trick for me. I just watch what i watch depending on my mood.

"You like some popular series, while you also dislike some popular series" doesnt make my argument less valid, there is always some good stuff in the trash...

On how i call non popular shows that are trash, i dont really know, maybe trash with extra cheese? Or just (ಠ ∩ಠ)?
-Mullerio-Oct 26, 2019 12:26 PM
Oct 26, 2019 12:25 PM

May 2014
Because you aren't the deciding factor for what is good and bad and what should get more seasons.
Oct 26, 2019 12:26 PM

Jan 2019
What's the answer to 99 out of 100 questions?

Money.
Oct 26, 2019 12:29 PM

Mar 2019
shows are given new seasons based on profits of the first season or potential profits if the first season is older (ex: new FLCL and Legend of the galactic heroes) quality doesn't play in. Anime can't be made for free and no rational investor would try to create a masterpiece that probably won't give any monetary return. It's unfortunate sometimes as great shows that could have sequels never get them but it's a fact that I've come to terms with
Oct 26, 2019 1:54 PM

Apr 2015
Choco-Latte said:
I can binge watch an anime with crayon shinchan art style if the story was amazing

Crayon shin-chan's art style is quality tho
Oct 26, 2019 2:01 PM
Aug 2016
My opinion is that anime with good quality and a good story line should be the ones receiving a new season if the story is long enough in the manga. If the story is too short and after the anime ended, and there's no more to continue, it's kinda pointless to have a new season no matter of it's quality or popularity.
Oct 26, 2019 2:07 PM
busy week =_+

Dec 2014
konkelo said:
Choco-Latte said:

Like I said, quality is subjective.

Oct 26, 2019 2:51 PM

Apr 2015
Choco-Latte said:
konkelo said:

Some things are and some aren't. Everything also depends from what view point one is arguing from and their biases. With out going too much in to this over art style I'll just agree to disagree.
Oct 26, 2019 3:40 PM
busy week =_+

Dec 2014
konkelo said:
Choco-Latte said:

Some things are and some aren't. Everything also depends from what view point one is arguing from and their biases. With out going too much in to this over art style I'll just agree to disagree.

Art style is the most subjective out of anime quality lol. As an artist, I've had first hand experience. One lecturer would say your art needs a total revamp while another would use your art as a model for other students' inspiration. What ISN'T subjective is proportion. If your character figure is out of proportion, it's out of proportion. Then again there's the art trend where people embrace abstract figures.

Oct 27, 2019 2:54 AM

Apr 2015
Choco-Latte said:
konkelo said:

Art style is the most subjective out of anime quality lol. As an artist, I've had first hand experience. One lecturer would say your art needs a total revamp while another would use your art as a model for other students' inspiration. What ISN'T subjective is proportion. If your character figure is out of proportion, it's out of proportion. Then again there's the art trend where people embrace abstract figures.

I don't think I said such thing is set in stone and it can't be argued over. Art style consists of so many things that I wouldn't straight out go and say one is bad, when one's art style may have plenty of good things that just works but have at the same time weaker points present. That also leads to cases were some art style works better over the other in specific situations. Neither would I say proportion is exception of that. Sometimes on purpose breaking rules will lead to pleasant surprises and create more dynamic presentation, which is pretty common in cartoons/anime and comics/manga.

Then there's also the aspects of marketing, competition and pleasing masses in this medium. All of those could be taken in account while creating argument/opinion of this.
Oct 27, 2019 3:50 AM
busy week =_+

Dec 2014
konkelo said:
Choco-Latte said:

I don't think I said such thing is set in stone and it can't be argued over. Art style consists of so many things that I wouldn't straight out go and say one is bad, when one's art style may have plenty of good things that just works but have at the same time weaker points present. That also leads to cases were some art style works better over the other in specific situations. Neither would I say proportion is exception of that. Sometimes on purpose breaking rules will lead to pleasant surprises and create more dynamic presentation, which is pretty common in cartoons/anime and comics/manga.

Then there's also the aspects of marketing, competition and pleasing masses in this medium. All of those could be taken in account while creating argument/opinion of this.

In a nut shell, quality is subjective

Oct 27, 2019 4:00 AM

Apr 2015
Choco-Latte said:
konkelo said:

If you want to simplify it to that fine
Oct 27, 2019 4:10 AM
busy week =_+

Dec 2014
konkelo said:
Choco-Latte said:

If you want to simplify it to that fine

Life's really simple, but we insist to make it complicated. -Confucius

Oct 27, 2019 6:30 AM

Mar 2018
lswarmruler said:
How do u know sth has great quality? Quality is relative n Popularity is more absolute.

Popularity is incredibly fleeting and subjective and doesn't stand the test of time. The dumbest things can become popular. It is like a wave and when looked at soberly after the hype has died down many people feel embarrassed they participated. Quality on the other hand lasts. In a few years no one will care for the majority of super hero movies but everyone will still agree that The Godfather is a masterpiece. In the case of anime quality come from. Animation and storytelling and both can be assessed.
Oct 27, 2019 6:35 AM
May 2019
Just because something is popular that doesn't mean that it's good.
As for the quality it's subjective different people value different things in anime.
Oct 27, 2019 7:55 PM

Jul 2013
I don't care about popularity or quality as much as manly and dynamic. I have to anime blow s**t up as of late.
Oct 28, 2019 12:30 AM

Jul 2013
Gorochu said:
My opinion>everyone else

Quality is subjective anyway.

I've seen myanimelist has been rather good measure for good quality even if it's subjective.
Oct 28, 2019 8:13 AM

Oct 2008
Well "Granblue Fantasy The Animation" is in my opinion a popular series that should have been abandoned and not get a sequel, but it did.

"Dansai bunri no crime edge" is a quality anime but sadly it didn't and probably won't get a continuation.

However we also have
Nanatsu no Taizai which is a popular anime with good quality. I am happy about its continuations.

"Chihayafuru" is a quality anime, in my opinion not a popular one. And yet its getting a 3rd season and am so looking forward to it.
Oct 28, 2019 8:20 AM

Jan 2010
ramdit said:
i've seen some popular anime with low quality getting a new season, while the not-so-popular anime but with great quality doesn't get renewed for another season. what are your thoughts on this?

Well, it's all about money. Anime is business after all.
Popularity = more people will watch it = more money
Simple logic.

Anyway, about your question. As long as it's my favorite anime that get continuation, I'm glad. If my favorite anime don't get continuation while anime that I don't like/don't care about keep getting more seasons..... well, I have other favorite anime to binge. Too bad, but what can I do.

Doesn't have anything to do with quality or popularity. I don't care about both if it's anime I don't like/don't care about.
Oct 28, 2019 5:47 PM

Sep 2016
Popularity doesn't always equal quality. The fast-food business is a prime example of this.

ʙᴇᴄᴀᴜꜱᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ'ꜱ ᴛʜᴇ ᴇᴀꜱɪᴇꜱᴛ ᴡᴀy ᴛᴏ ᴋᴇᴇᴩ ꜰʀᴏᴍ ɢᴇᴛᴛɪɴɢ ʜᴜʀᴛ
yᴏᴜ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ᴇᴠᴇɴ ʟᴏᴠᴇᴅ yᴏᴜʀꜱᴇʟꜰ
yᴏᴜ'ʀᴇ ᴀʟʟ yᴏᴜ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀɴᴅ yᴏᴜ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ᴇᴠᴇɴ ʟᴇᴀʀɴᴇᴅ ᴛᴏ ʟɪᴋᴇ yᴏᴜʀꜱᴇʟꜰ
Oct 28, 2019 6:10 PM

Oct 2018
Popularity should never be something you should take into account when deciding whether to watch a show or not. If a show sounds interesting or you think you'd like it then fuckin go for it. You don't gotta let other people tell you what to watch. On the other hand, most popular shows are popular for a reason, whether it be unique stories, likeable characters or a distinct feel that you can't get from any other show. Emphasis on most btw *cough*like over half of all popular shonen*cough*. Quality on the other hand is something that should be taken into account, but it's not really a deal breaker in my humble opinion. Like, you could have the most beautiful animation with the most unique of artstyles with the resurrected corpse of van gogh drawing all the backgrounds but it's not gonna mean shit if the story and characters aren't worth crap. The same can somewhat be said for great stories with crappy animation but, for me personally, it's no where near as bad as the former. Remember kids, the only thing worse than a bad show is a boring one.
If you're reading this and you haven't watched Mob Psycho 100, go watch it and then continue with what you were doing.

Also, for the record, JoJo is great, it's fans are not.
Oct 28, 2019 6:19 PM

Nov 2016
We have enough quality sequels each season so I don't feel like complaining at all.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 28, 2019 6:23 PM

Sep 2013
Look up how anime production works. The decision to produce a sequel isn't decided by the studio. There are many series with terribly unpopular airing that are forced into a sequel because it was already planned during pre-production.
Nov 1, 2019 3:37 PM

Apr 2010
As the songs say "money makes the world go around."

If they think they profit from another season, they'll make it.

Nov 20, 2019 3:40 PM
Jul 2018
*Fullmetal Alchemist kicks the door and says hi.*
Nov 23, 2019 2:50 AM
May 2017
There is no such things as quality anime. Everything is subjective. No anime is objectively better than any other one.
Nov 23, 2019 3:18 AM

Sep 2019
Tinybox said:
Popularity doesn't always equal quality. The fast-food business is a prime example of this.
And porn industry too, isn't it also one of the biggest?
"I think I wanted to attack something. Like betraying people or hurting people. And, well, it's not exactly nice, but hurting the readers too... In all honestly, I feel that's what I really wanted to do. For me, as a reader, when I think, "this manga will remain in my heart," it means, for example, it phenomenally hurt me: It's those kinds of experiences I'm after." - Pajime Hisayama (My favourite hurting author).

More topics from this board

» Best Trap Character in Anime?

GoatPieceLuffy - 22 minutes ago

8 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
1 minute ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

57 by GoatPieceLuffy »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » how often do you self insert or empathize with anime characters? and do you experience how good or bad the characters situation or experience is too

deg - 7 hours ago

17 by LeonhartAugust »»
4 minutes ago

» Why are so many ecchi enjoyers overweight?

EverRealm - 6 minutes ago

0 by EverRealm »»
6 minutes ago

» What is your opinion on anime becoming mainstream? ( 1 2 )

BroDa2545 - Apr 16

57 by shin0by »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.