Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 25, 2019 2:45 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Tbh, looking back now, the way this finale/duel is executed is worthy of all the buildup. Ai vs Playmaker is the ultimate endgame of this show and while I'm not a fan of Ai, he's lived up to his reputation in this arc.

Plus, this ended up being one of the most intense duels in the series. GG Ai though. It's about time he took he bit the dust.
Sep 25, 2019 3:12 AM

Jul 2017
I haven't watched the episode yet, but i can guess who is the victor. And i just wanted to say, Vrains reached Zexal levels imo. I think it was a really painful ride, and so many of the side characters were so underwhelming and almost did nothing. What was Aoi, Go and Emma doing there? I wanted to see them more developed and involved in this series' arcs even more, and they lost duels basically all the time.. It's a shame.

4/10 from me. Now i will regain my hype for 2020 and wait for something promising.
WaterLordSep 25, 2019 5:15 AM
Sep 25, 2019 5:06 AM

May 2016
Thank you! That was the final episode for Yu-Gi-Oh VRAINS! :) All the episodes have finally been completed. Such a perfect ending, to the best Yu-Gi-Oh! show.

Ai and Playmaker's last duel brough to me tears and now i'm planing to rewatch the series since i got Ocotober free.The cast is alright and still miss everyone.

No Sol tech and whatever happen to Miyu and Windy's kid.

Maybe i'll get a job in 2020 early spring since a new ending leads a new new benning~

And hype for Yugioh 2020 since the show promoted the new series.
Sep 25, 2019 5:08 AM

Nov 2011
It's a shame that the last arc is clearly rushed. Season 2 is pretty good shit, what the heck happened. It's like someone just went and said "Fuck it, we are ending Vrain in the next 3 months!" That's how we ended up with this.

Highly doubt they are gonna make a sequel even if it's possible with open ended the ending is.

Sep 25, 2019 5:09 AM

May 2016
And with this Yugioh vrains ends. I will miss this show, but from now on we must look into the future with new yugioh show to come next year.

Well ... it's not the best ending, but at least it's better than Arc-V's, however, if this arc hadn't been developed in such a hurried way, I wouldn't have so much trouble with this closure. Even so, despite everything, I have enjoyed Vrains a lot, it may not be the best YGO series, but it has become my favorite and the ones I have enjoyed the most.

The end of Vrains. Honestly one of the most enjoyable Yugioh series to date. This one would have to be near the top of my list. Though, I'm a little upset because that ending definitely opens up way too many possibilities. But regardless, thank you for creating an amazing Yugioh series.
Sep 25, 2019 6:19 AM
Aug 2018
last season of vrains was rushed.but still has better ending than Zexal or Arc-V. it was like yugi vs atem. now we need to wait 2020 and to see what next Konami will offer to us
Sep 25, 2019 6:26 AM

Jun 2015
One word: Underwhelming. Shortest and dullest Yugioh series. 5/10 for me
Fortune favours the bold!

Sep 25, 2019 7:08 AM

May 2016
Thank you & goodbye, VRAINS!
Sep 25, 2019 7:15 AM

Mar 2016
Whelp that ends that, but imma be real, this show was mediocre in its entirety with only its audio and visual aesthetics being a slight saving grace. All the arcs are practically repetitive without a sense of authentic depth and creativity behind them.

Honestly one of the most underwhelming anime series I’ve watched overall. Even SAO would be a masterpiece compared to this massively wasted potential.
Sep 25, 2019 7:24 AM

Jun 2013
Well, time to say goodbye to Linkvrains. Good series =))
ryanstrikeSep 25, 2019 9:42 AM
Sep 25, 2019 8:16 AM

May 2015
the way I see it, they were trying to make 5D's 2.0 but it just didn't work out. this is all due to the production issues and even the whole firewall situation that mostly was about ownership issues which made it so that firewall can't appear anymore.
not to mention the mistreated cast except for Yusaku and Takeru and the recaps at the start of the series didn't do the show any good.

overall I think vrains was mediocre but at least it had a better finale than arc-v and if it weren't for all the safe writing, I believe all that wasted potential would have been put to good use and to better the show.
giving it a 5/10 just like arc-v till I decide which one these two is my least favorite spinoff.
valkyrusSep 25, 2019 8:21 AM
Sep 25, 2019 8:40 AM
Sep 2015
I think this is the first one that doesn't focus on human/monster relationship, which is such a shame because there are so many interesting monsters, for example, I think Linkslayer and Cyberse Wizard are dating, which is a tradition inherit from Stargazer/Timegazer, and originated from Chaos Soldier/Black Paladin.
Sep 25, 2019 9:12 AM

Apr 2007
Damn I knew the ending would be tragic, but I didn't expect it to actually make me tear up...

At least we got a solid ending this time. While this last arc was short it helped tie up a lot of loose ends. Though we really could have done without that teaser at the end. What's the point?

I agree with a lot of people here, it was the dullest series for me as well. I think I was only excited during Revolver vs Playmaker at Hanoi tower and when Soulburner first appeared. Easily my least favorite series due to that and below. At least Arc-V had Shun and his epic duels for me to swoon over.

It doesn't help that the first turn of most duels have at least 2 minutes of special summoning. If that's what dueling evolved into that's one thing, but it's highly uninteresting to watch in anime form. I honestly zoned out a few times during those moments. This is the first time I wasn't really interested in the dueling aspect of a Yugioh series.

Oh well, now to wait for the next series.
Sep 25, 2019 9:44 AM

May 2013
The only time so far yu gi oh has made me tear up.

It's really a shame that such a good and tragic villain got only 17 episodes but it was serviceable at the least.

I legit hoped we would get some new info about yu gi oh 7 after the credits. I dunno maybe a red ranger hand off thing that super sentai does, i dunno, lol.

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Sep 25, 2019 11:11 AM

May 2016
Nettle_Tea said:
The only time so far yu gi oh has made me tear up.

It's really a shame that such a good and tragic villain got only 17 episodes but it was serviceable at the least.

I legit hoped we would get some new info about yu gi oh 7 after the credits. I dunno maybe a red ranger hand off thing that super sentai does, i dunno, lol.

I am on the same thoughts as you.
Sep 25, 2019 11:26 AM

Feb 2013
One of the best Yu-Gi-Oh series for me.
Sep 25, 2019 12:28 PM
Jul 2019
I'm kind of happy the creators made it a bit of an open ending, at least then I can dream that Ai and Yusaku will reunite somewhere have more adventures. I think it was the kindest way to end the show after Ai's death...
Sep 25, 2019 12:45 PM

Mar 2014
Does Ai have feeling for Playmaker? lol
At last, this series has ended in a good way, last duel was good too and Ai is definitely one of my Yu-Gi-Oh favorite characters. This episode was such a tear-jerker too.

I don't get why Ai activated that trap allowing only one Link Summoning per turn when there was literally only one monster left in Yusaku's extra deck lol. It was probably to build up tension.

That cliffhanger though...

Would have been interesting if next series was a sequel to VRAINS, the way they announced it just after a well-made scene showing that Ai is still here makes me think of that too. But we'll see in 2020 anyway.
Sep 25, 2019 2:33 PM

Jul 2013
There goes the 6th installment, and I’m not very impressed to put it softly.

In terms of production, this is the worst YGO to date. It is so lifeless and dull. The visual just show what needed to be shown without taking an extra step to make anything interesting to watch. I could go on a full-on rant about this, but I don’t want to turn it into a college essay. Yes, I know that there’s some serious behind the scene issues, but that doesn’t mean the show can’t be criticized.

I couldn’t care less for the plot because the show failed to sell me on the characters. We rarely see any character development happening. We only see the before and the after, and then the character will just info dump on their development process. Speaking of it, the character design sucks. They ranged from acceptable (Akira, Spectre) to utter garbage (Bohman, Soulburner). The ONLY design I like is the human form Ai.

The concept of Link Vrains has more holes in it than SAO had with its Aincrad. Well, at least Vrains doesn’t constantly introduce a new plot element and then proceed to betray that very same element just like SAO did, which is… nice, I guess.

The OST were too damn loud compared to the speaking voice, and they didn’t really enhance the scene. They’re just there because it’s an anime and anime need OST.

None of the monsters felt special because new ones constantly get pulled out without any explanation nor build up to it. I missed the “HOLY SH*T HYPEEEEE” moment when Shooting Star Dragon, or Zarc, or Neo Galaxy-Eyes, or Rainbow Neos, or the 3 Egyptian Gods were introduced. For Vrains, I just went “oh, ok” every time somebody summoned a new boss monster.

There were barely any difference in the execution between master and speed duel. The fact that the field is smaller could made a huge impact, but the show never capitalized on it. The flying board thing rarely play any role in the visual. 99% of the time, it’s just characters standing on top of a looped background. The skill thing could be something to build around, but since the characters changed their skills all the goddamn time, it may very well be just a card effect. Not to mention that some of them even used skill on master duel.

4/10, and I'm being generous here, moving on to the 7th series.

Welp, this turned out to be a short essay anyway. Darn it.
Sep 25, 2019 6:20 PM

May 2014
Sad to see it go but it was an awesome ride to get here. I think if it wasn't for the production issues it probably could've been better. It had a lot of potential but sucks how some characters were forgotten about just to speed up the story.
Sep 25, 2019 6:20 PM

Jan 2013
i found out whats the biggest thing that bugged me in vrains
we spent soo much episodes on SOL sending people to get an IGNIS , most of that "arc" went into jobbing soulburner but then BrainGo got Earth and that was supposed to be the turning point of the series.
So what was supposed to happen was SOL was gonna make their own ignis which was their main goal , but bc of the ep cut that all went to drain and we are supposed to forget about what was supposed to be the main plotline.
A lot of eps feel wasted bc of it.
VRAINS production and planning was beyond tragic. It got gutted at the beginning and then it got gutted at the end as well.
Sep 25, 2019 6:59 PM

Apr 2015
Man, ai said "bye yusaku, i love you" before vanish. So this is probably the only yaoi yugioh anime yet...

And in the ending they said they will make new yugioh anime released in 2020. Hopefully its new series rather than vrains sequel, as vrains totally doesnt live up to my expectation, with the plot, the characters, and the duel, especially because of data storm.

I really hope they will be able to make a great series again such as 5d's.

Try reading Spy x Family Manga ^_^
U will love it, i promise...
Sep 25, 2019 7:05 PM

Dec 2016
Sigh he dumped me, that was a funny line.

Drastic Draw, Playmaker dabbing lol.

Well then it's it and that's that for VRAINS.

Decent series overall, very sad it was cut short and had so many production problems that we are all aware of for a while now.

That fact that the next series is already in production is hopefully a good sign, they have so much time to work on it it should be really good.
Sep 25, 2019 8:43 PM
Jan 2014
might be the best yu-gi-oh for me, certainly competes with DM & 5Ds for that at least, lots of great duels, lots of great characters, & a really good ending, also teared up a little this epsode, if just a few thigs were better it'd be a 10/10 anime in general for me, but every season's arc being similar, though they did make each season better than the one before doing that imo, + missed opportunities to make season 3 even better than it was & lastly the very last scene being unnecessary holds it back from being as great as it could have been, even with all it's issues the staff managed to create something which to me is still a 7/10 anime at least.
Sep 26, 2019 8:00 AM
Dec 2017
It was a such amazing ending with a ultimate duel between two great characters of this awesome series. I hope greatness from the season 7 of Yu-Gi-Oh. It give this series a 8 out of 10. Awesome series, great characters and such tear-jerking ending with all the amazing work of this series.
Sep 26, 2019 8:04 AM
Dec 2017
"Into the Vrains". You are gonna be missed playmaker and AI. As well the ultimate waifu of Kizuna. And gonna miss the this season of awesome anime as well.
Sep 26, 2019 3:49 PM

Sep 2011
So I guess vrains isnt completely over yet? I guess a movie or something in the future?

anyway this show was messy, but I enjoyed watching it weekly for the past couple years, and even though it is a shame how much it mistreats its cast I did actually like a fair amount of then especially ai. I also think vrains is a bit underrated in its comedic relief, I feel like compared to the other yugioh series ive seen where any attempt at comedy was painful, vrains was genuinely funny most the time it tried to be.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Sep 27, 2019 11:00 AM

May 2017
So it's finally over huh? I really liked VRAINS, it had some great moments, some interesting characters and the plot really pulled me in in the beginning, but the more the series went on the fuzzier everything got... Season 2 was too long and season 3 far too short. Also there were still so many characters left, that didn't have their time to shine. Why did' they completely blew SOL Technologies and the chess people to irrelevance? Really sad.

As I already said, I like VRAINS and it's one of my favoirte YGO Series. The final duel was also pretty good, but with all the flaws I can't give this series more than a 7/10. A few Months ago it was a clear 8/10 and if they handled everything just a bit better and had about 15 Episodes more, it could have been a 9/10.

However, I'm curious what the last scene with AI has to say?
Sep 27, 2019 11:51 AM

Jan 2013
Genesis007AUT said:
Season 2 was too long and season 3 far too short. Also there were still so many characters left, that didn't have their time to shine. Why did' they completely blew SOL Technologies and the chess people to irrelevance? Really sad.

they planned to make sol relevant bc they had the plans to make their own ignis which were discovered by blood shepard
however the anime higher ups were like "yo we are cutting down vrains from 148 eps to 120 so wrap this shit up ok" , guessing its to give the yugioh 7 more time so its not a mess liek vraisn was
Sep 27, 2019 2:17 PM

Jul 2014
this is defo a step up from the last 2 entries in the franchise. wouldve likes atleast a cour more of content, oh well 6/10

now to wait for 2020
Oct 1, 2019 9:51 AM
Jul 2015
Why the hell the last arc was so rushed

Great series tho
Oct 2, 2019 2:27 AM

May 2016
People should give Symphogear, Precure and Yu-Gi-Oh a chance, jeez these mainstream freaks nowadays~
Oct 3, 2019 9:40 PM
Feb 2012
The end maybe rushed, but it had the best final episodes. GX got better in the last season, but not that good; 5Ds turned into crap after the second season(that was already very inferior to the first); Arc-V turned into a utter piece of boredom; which just left us with Zexal and DM. I personaly prefer all that greek tragedy from Zexal, but the duels in Vrain were better, especially the last two duels.
Oct 30, 2019 3:25 PM

May 2016
Start Date: 2017.05.10

Finished: 2019.09.25

Side Note: Original review was deleted and replaced with a much more cleaner and friendly type.

A little something for Halloween.

I would love to do reviews on Yu-Gi-Oh 7 each week because i got motivation and now i’m free from exams and parents. I haven’t started work because 2019 is a weird year and people just don’t find to be great. Anyway, I still haven’t lost my motivation to start getting a job, but it might get the reviews deleyed if it comes out on Monday to Friday.

I got hope for 2020 i start my YGO 7 reviews y’all and stay tuned.

Happy Halloween friends! Hope y’all having a good holiday(s), cus i am sure having a blast. I was really excited when it started 2 years ago and still love this show with the characters being fairly writen. It’s not often when Yu-Gi-Oh goes darker ands pulls a SAO (Sword Art Online) type of world setting.

Overall Review because it is going to be a lengthy one as I am currently at 2700+ Words and counting.

You know, I originally meant to do this post as it was because the show came to an end, but now is a good time.

This is the first time I have been able to complete a coverage of a Yu-Gi-Oh! Series, let alone first show to have covered for two years straight. It an understatement to say it has been one hell of a journey, an emotional roller-coaster. It is time to finally give VRAINS the end off it trually deserved. VRAINS is the first Yu-Gi-Oh! series that I’ve watched while it was ongoing completely and what can I say, those three years surely flew by in an instant. While I am a little be disappointed by how many plot points were ignored or not explored properly, VRAINS is still among the best-written series so far. Tho if it had some plot points like SOL tech being the big bad. Or, what happen to the rest of the cast? Miyu? Windy’s kid? Kitatamura, LOL

It’s a real shame that the show cut off the SOL tech chess pieces fight that build-up the anime’s big fight at he end, whatever that was originaly was suppose to be final fight ultimatily end up with being Ai as the final villian pulling a Code Geass Lelouch out of nowhere still gave us atleast 17 well handled arc i gotta say. The Lost Incident Children also got cut off short. 3 of the them I’ll be talking about (Yusaku, Specter, Soulburner) did got some arc, but most whent to PM and SB. The other thing that was cut off was probably the pacing of the show. VRAINS being the shortish series in the Yu-Gi-Oh universe, runing a total of 120 and under 2 years is a new achivement for the franchise.

This was the Yu-Gi-Oh series that introduced us to Speed Duels on Duel Boards. Something like Turbo Duel from 5D’s that introduced us to the show’s genre.

Here’s a quick run down of what you need to know:

Speed Duels:

Main Monster Zone & Magic/Trap Zone is reduced to three
Player’s first hand consists only 4 cards
No Main Phase 2.
There is a Special Rule you can only use once: Skill
Speed Duels can be extremely vulnerable as they can be hackers can develop a new Skill Mechanism
DATA STORMS are basically High Risks, High Rewards
Link Monsters

Skill lets you draw a card allows you to either increase, ATK, LP and so on.

(eg: Double Skill)

Data Storms can kill you
If a player successfully survive being in the eye of the storm, then they can summon a random Uknown Monsters that live within the storm
The stronger the storm, the stronger the monsters
Storm Access: Only Usable when you are under 1000 LP.

Do not have Levels (Instead go by Links (eg: Link 3)), and cannot be pout into defense position
Link VRAINS Catastrophic Consequences
Obstacles can deal damage to the player. If a player takes too much damage, they will experience a flashback and suffer mental damage
You can actually be killed while in Link VRAINS, so proceed with caution (eg: Fall to Death)

Yuusaku’s 3 reasons why he is Playmaker

To take back the time that was stolen from him
Save Kusanagi’s brother from darkness
In order to meet the one who gave him courage (I bet it’s Ignis!)

Furthermore, what really pipes my curiosity is the fact the Hanoi Hackers revealed they are actively trying to eliminate the Cyverse Archetypes. And to make them even more mysterious, nobody but Yuusaku, Kusanagi, Hanoi and probably SOL Technologies knew about their existence. This begs the question as to why the Hanoi Hackers are determined to eliminate this particular archetype, and what impact do the Cyverse Monsters have on Link VRAINS?

I’ve mentioned this a few times on my dash, but I personally actually like the 3rd season of 5D’s despite it’s weird turn into slice-of-life absurdity while the writers tried to figure their way around the plot rewrites mandated after executive meddling crashed down on them. Jack fighting for his reputation and his new identity, insisting on carving his own way to be the King while making himself open to the people-all of the people from Satellite and Neo Domino alike, the kind of King Carly wanted him to be. Even Jack having his own filler arcs like the loan shark, duel runner theif, the fake jack duels and my personal favorite the WRGP duel with Andre and Red Nova Nazca Line still gave me moments i liket in it. This is cus both series are 3rd generation and feel like very similar to each other in terms of tone, worldbuild, characters, duels, story, plot, and of course MC being mature from the both previous series in the franchise.

Still, even if 5D’s had a really slow 2nd half during Season 3 onwards, it’s last 25 episodes sure got everything fixed and made it the most well done arc in any series imo.

While the definition of “good” and “bad” character development is subjective, it’s generally agreed upon that good character development is believable and rounds out a well-written character. Bad character development leads to the feeling that someone is manipulating the events to their own whims, or even reduces the character’s believability (in some cases, chickification). - TV Tropes

At the end of the day, regadless how bad or good, you gotta give credit for the arcs he got and the time you spent together.

As people, we all have different viewpoints, and even as fans of Yu-Gi-Oh!, we all have our own unique and differing ways of interpreting it. We should be respecting those differences, not ignoring them. Besides, Yu-Gi-Oh atleas have a view point and know the show has flaws, unlike most mainstreams anime that came from manga tbh.

I don’t blame anyone, seasonal shows usually end up disappointing, it’s rare to find good gems when you’re watching week. Most shows don’t really feel that hyped up and just plain boring - just take Darling In the FranXX it was wasted every week and felt nothing all that great.

BREAKDOWN: Where the Time was Spent

Link VRAINS: 46 episodes, (Ep 1 – 46)
Discovery of Playmakers Past and his battle with Revolver: Ep 01 – 21
The Deleted and Hanoi’s Last Stand: Ep 22 – 46

New Link VRAINS: 56 episodes, (Ep 47 – 102)
A New Treat: Ep 47 – 59
The Backstory on Soulburner and Playmaker: Ep 60-65
The Ignis War: Ep 66-73

Go Onizuka, Blood Shepherd and Lightning arc: Ep 74-82

The Battle at Mirror Link VRAINS: 83-94

The Final Battle With Lightning and Bowman: Ep 95-102

Ai’s Rebellion: 18 Episodes, (Ep 103 – 120)
It’s pretty much the closer arc to the show. Everyone vs Ai and setting the case on lose ends.

One thing I need to give VRAINS credit for which it really doesn’t get is that EVERYONE has there moment in the spolight. There wasn’t ONE character I felt that didn’t get enough screen time. Everybody had their time to shine and it was great. I wish more yugioh seasons with bigger casts would do this. It really made me treasure this season and on my rewatch it really upped the value for it. It’s just really heartwarming to see all the character working together as a their own signle. Giving them each on arc to take made me love the series despite it being short. Wish it was 145 instead, but i’ll save for shorter series nowadays.That being said, if you can get past some of the minor filler, you’ll like VRAINS. It really is a strong and solid season.

I’ve always been a big fan of the Yugioh series. Each iteration managed to improve upon it’s predecessors in some way or another, while still keeping things “fresh”. Yugioh 5D’s pushed the envelope with its outrageous concept and it succeeded. Coupled with strong characters and a great storyline, 5D’s is easily my favourite of the series. Comparing the later seasons to the earlier ones, it becomes clear that the newer yugioh anime take a similar route to a specific earlier part; especially in the tone, character designes as well as themes. Something other long-runing series take and and improve the older generation. Those franchise all got more seasons and lead to them having more popilarity.

Kamen Rider a show about Masked Riders kicking Nazis.

Super Sentai a show about 5 kids with different skills also kicking Nazis.

Precure: Magical Girl version of Super Sentai whom also kick Nazis.

Another thing I need to give VRAINS credit is the way it expored death like most mainstreams series. It gave us characters we liket and who eventually meet their fate and died. But in a way it made it feel like a show that handled it with out

There’s not much to say but amazing original cast, VA’s, music(a real shame we may never get a Sound Duel 4), and ideas good execution and overall needs a Zexal 2 for full potential unfortunately. I think a lot of people here acknowledged that Hanoi was arguably VRAINS at its best despite most of the rushness and debatable pacing in some places. Bomwan’s arc while long and most of felt a bit much too great as well as definitely well build up. Ai having the least episode arc did felt the way to send everyone to their own future.

Now when you seen where and how the time has been spent, you can see why many criticize the Bowman arc the most. They spent 56 episodes there, when in reality, they probably should have only spent 33 – 35 episodes. One of the main reasons why it dragged out the way it did was because of the introduction of the Ignis and having it focus on Soulburner and Playmaker whom also took major arc plus the filler and their backstory.

This was a piece of the plot that had always been bothering me. In the beginning of the series, I didn’t pay too much mind to it because at the time, the chess pieces being money corrupted scums with no souls never crossed my mind. But by the time we understood the connection between the Hanoi’ and their Ignis’. Sol Tech was original tend to the final villian of the show to close the Lost Incident on the traumtized children and bring peace to the Link VRAINS for good.I realized this was something that should have been addressed far earlier in the story. When we learn that the Lost Incident Children were meant to serve as creators of the Ignis, the first thing that crossed my mind was, “Why didn’t they uses this in Season 2 this sooner?!” Now don’t get me wrong, there were some foreshadowing, just barely, but was there. Hanoi was being used by SOL tech during the 10 year gap to prepare the plan to steal 6 children form their home and make 6 artificial intelligence (AI) that could lead to either money or humanity’s downfall.But no matter how much I think about it, I am surprised they didn’t go with the idea of the literal step by step process of Ai with a brain to think for themselves. By that I mean making it so whomever they never knew how much can these Ignis evolve under a week, a month, or a day, they will inherit their personality trait. Because at the end of the day, while each of Ignis’s creators all started living their own lives, the core of their very existence is a piece of the puzzle, lea td to each of them getting captured and put on duels to awaken the Ignis. This lead to the them also expiences pain and anger. But, Linghtning was not one of the same. He had no way to connect to humans and lead to him the being the mastermind all along. A simulation that he did many times lead to the same ones as Dr. Kogami. Which lead to him creating Bowman and creating the events in Season 2. Since he was not perfect, why should others be perfect. It’s also shocking to see.

The Main Character never loses any duel and proves us he is a strong duelist. Okay, Yusaku may be way too OP, but matured in time as the show progress. Now this, THIS is the one thing that I did overlook and will ever bring myself accept. I’m alright with Yusaku wining most of the times. So it is an understatement to say, the decision to make Playmaker win most of his matches lead to this show having it’s first MC that never loses since Yusei and Atem. While the first 5 had keep the chain balance. VRAINS took it to another level and shocked all of us. The story is about a boy who lost everything to the Lost Incident and gain nothing but hate. But, everything has a light at the end of the darkness.

That’s it. And let me just be clear, his flashbacks does count because all of that was in the past. His past lead to him making a friend and showing character developtment. Hey, atleast Yusaku isn’t loud and annoying like most of the Toei Idiot Red Ranger leader that lead to them on life support.
Oct 30, 2019 3:29 PM

May 2016
Characters & Development: Progression, Character Arcs

Yusaku: Yusaku did undergo some major character growth. Over the course of his journey, he was dragged into a virtual warfare, and went through so much pain and sadness, that he learned his past was connection to all this war and bringing down the masterminds. The battle for the Cyberse and Ignis let him getting major arc and stopping the plans of both Hanoi and Lightning’s Faction. And his biggest chalenge was none other than Ai. His partner. The other thing that bugged me throughout the series was the fact Yusaku never used FireWall Dragon way too much. With the help of his patner he lerned to like over the course of the series helped us believe Yusaku is on the right path of becoming an much nicer person and showing signs that everyone can overcome hardships.

Aoi: Her best days were literally every single episode it had her. From Akiza to Aoi i can say the formula is well done. Unlike previous series. Aoi came out as a stronge duelist on her onw. Her main role in the series was as a shy person in real life with complex. In her first battle with Playmaker it triggered the chain events for future battles and Aoi. She was the one to investigate, take the initiative and be actively involved in stopping the conflicts, and communicating what is going on. Her role played a major part on stopping both Hanoi and the Ignis, but lead to her demise. While Ai did not kill her in Season 3 from becoming Yoshida’s 101 way to a kill a girl, he decide to instead kill her brother only to mock her and settle things with Playmaker. She whent from a shy person to a pure stronge duelist as the show moved on. It seems that Yu-Gi-Oh can one day break free of past series have less duels on females. YGO 7 is my hope.

Ryoken: From start to finish, Ryoken/Revolver pretty much just overkilled everyone on his sight and did absolutely amazing to contribute to the fight against Lightning and being the first major arc enemy. From saving the Lost Incident Children to the Battle with Bowman and Lighthing. Revolver got me 100% hyped each time he duel. Learning about the Light Ignis being the mastermind to change the similations to false and setting the score with Soulburner one last time. Jack Atlas vibes. Seto Kaiba Dragons and Kaito Tenjo wardrobe. This man is a savage. No pun to Borreload Savage. Also, I have a thing for Synchros. Episode 70 still supprised me. -Revolver is a good rival. At all. He’s so incredibly solid because much like Yusaku he was at his strongest characterization in S1 where he actually had some solid motivation in continuing his fathers work and being unable to accept that his dad was evil. Then we have his right-hand man Specter. You can clearly see it is the most chaotic one of all. They spent a majoirty of time there, and it showed because they hardly lose their goal. I haven’t talk much on him since Specter lose a few good arcs in Season 3 do his voice actor being busy with live drama/comedy. Meaning that his last arc was against the Light Ignis.

Ai: The rouge Ignis. Comic relief. Goofball. Ai-ball. Having his arc focus on the events set after Season 2 and making it feel like Code Geass under 18 episode, makes me love direction it whent. His deck is a total 2.0 of D/D/D. I love Ai and that’s all I am gonna say. The reason I really felt Yusakus speech to Ai was because it felt a way executed way. It shows the reality and harshships each went through hell during the course of the show. Something that I often found appealing about Ao is how stylish he establishes himself. After Bowman revealed that they were the real enemy of the show, Ai spent the next few months finding out what was Linighthing REAL reason to start the Ignis war came up with his own interpretation of what that relationship between the Ignis and humans might not of bean good what Bowman said. Until now, Ai had only ever seen the world through the Ai ball in episode 1 of what , but through his interactions with Yusaku and other humans, a Singularity also began to sprout. Even who Ai felt the simullation was false at first, he did over and over. The same results over and over repeated themselves. With no clear with the humans, Ai only had one last movation to turn things around and close the case. He only one type of revenge that was towards Queen who killed his friend Earth. He never hated Go Onizuka just because he was lost in his own world, Ai whould felt it the same. And never killed Aoi, because he knew how much pain she whent for the course of the show. He loved watch Yusaku even when he had to duel his own best friend, but never showed the last part of the simmilation only because it felt like an after duel closure tbh.

Soulburner: Crow Hogan vibes from the start of the show. I like Homura’s design. It seems he is in high school type i wanted in 5d’s. His deck is really nicely structred. I’ve actually know Ono Katsumi worked on VRAINS made me love it even more. I knew Symphogear XV was pushed back till 2019 for a reason. If you haven’t know by now. During the 2nd half of Season 1 after Ono Katsumi finished working on Symphogear AXZ whent back to work on VRAINS with his easter eggs and over the over-the-top animation. This is the man who gave us the most well writen YGO series (5d’s), he made his debut in episode 49 on VRAINS during the start of spring 2018 for the build-up in the upcoming episodes. Our beloved Red Boy. Takeru came a very long way, and was probably the one character who had undergone the most significant character development. In fact, he is probably the only one who had any sort form of complete growth. Also, I think the reason why Soulburner ended up a hero was due to his morals aways sticking to his own level of maturity. The only thing i was glad they’ve giving him I have was how his character reacted to the news of both his parents’s and best ignis death. While they will live on in another, they are no longer part of his life. He and Revolver showed everything in episode 83 ,84,115, 116 and 117 and finally putting an end to the Lost Incident. And what makes his pather Flame so fiery is that not only was it based off Red Nova from 5d’s. But has his own personality.

Bowman: What do i say about him?Merged Jojo vibes. His his deck is also a fusion of The Big Five and Zarc in the last fight with Playmaker. Started off as this JoJo counterpart with no memory. He is suppose to be Z-One of this season. I will say that Bohmans characterization of a hive mind to become perfect does strike my tastes but thats more my personal preference in villains. Pretty impressive backstory and Hydradrives did leave an impact on the show’s Archtypes. Basically Bohman’s goal is to quite litterally “unite” the world. He claims life and consciousness are different, as their consciousness will forever live within him, and everything will be reflected by his will. That’s his idea of the ideal new world. And what makes Bohman so bloody dangerous this time is the fact he is now using all five of the six Ignis’ powers, claiming he will be able to draw out their full potential. Additionally, he has a new power called: Neuron Link, a system where he can pull out and use the human brains capabilities of the the players who are currently trapped in Link VRAINS. This makes them serve as his resource for indispensable powers, such as gaining the capability to use Master Storm Access, and produce a Link 5 Monster: Chimera Hydradrive Dragrid. He undergo some major character growth. But one thing for sure, his ideal is twisted. Doesn’t matter if he is more sensible than Lightning, it’s still twisted.

Roboppy: This Ai was quite an interesting character to say the least. I always knew Roboppy had a reason to a be part of the main roster from the very beginning. It goes without saying that is was definitely one the most interesting characters of the 3rd arc. After having Ai take control of his program and revealed his true alliance. Among the characters, he was one of the lucky ones who was provided the opportunity for proper character development and a chance to redeem himself properly. Thank to Ai not giving up on him, Roboppy was able to make the decision to switch personality at the last second and turn full berserk outta of nowhere. Loosing all his memory’s and now is just the same old cleaner bot Yusaku had since a few years ago.

Go Onizuka: The Man of WWE. Big Show and Braun Strowman have a hard time taking his champ out. He was the cool under fire dude, who’s style involved the absolute refusal to use his wresting gimmick as a cash cow. Caring about the ones who grew up having no parents and he knows that pain can be on anyone. Started off as a jerk, then turned hell, whent back to his old sef. That’s Season 1 in a nutshell. Turned edgelord and got dinos for current arc deck. Then brainwashed by SOL tech under a in chip. Turned into a zombie. Back to old self in Season 3. Eventually closing his arc with Ai. With Playmaker out of the picture in Link VRAINS he became the new legend in the final episode.

Kusanagi: A.k.a the hot dog guy. Yusaku’s first friend in the series. Got pretty decent amount of screen-time. Sales Hot Dogs. He was one of those characters who was pretty less of a duelist in terms of necessary development. Tho, he served as Playmaker’s ally behind the shadows for the most of the show.

Akira Zaizen: Aoi’s foster brother and the best one character who had undergone the most significant character development as a supporting character. His grudge against the one who had taken Aoi’s soul was a character moment decided to team up with Ghost Girl. With his SOL tech chef- in operation ways, he was one of those characters who was always in the shadows, and had very little to say, but it goes without saying that many of us would have liked to had seen more of them.

Windy: Among all the villains, Windy was probably the strongest one of all. At least his duels got the best of him, and he behaved like a true villain with legit motives. Awkward moment is when the secondary villain was written better than the main. Tho he was brainwashed by Lightning all allong. Windy was the psychopath who liked to play with his food. He played nasty. But all this time he was good. Because of Lightning’s complex Windy killed his own partner. Shocking. Ikr? Following his lose to Revolver, he was deconstructed down to a pirate lol

Kengo and Ema: The Bounty Hunter and The Treasure Girl. Both connected to each other in Season 2. Both got good arcs and both became a family towards the end. So Emma and Blood Shepherd (Kengo Dojun) are not twins as I mainly assumed them to be, but are actually siblings because their father was a dick.

Lightning:Five words. Blame Lightning for the meme. That’s right. He was the mastermind behind Miyu’s poison and why he a problem in Season 2. Why did he create Bowman? Why did he destroy the Cyberse World? Because he was flawed 100%. Actually now that I think of it, it is quite sad how the Light Ignis got the most Links of any of the others. The one thing we learned is that he was evil from day 1.– and they had plenty of time to explaine why he did it. I genuinely would like to know who is responsible for this mistake, because it really took this series a different route a notch.

////If you follow me and you ever wondered why I like Yu-Gi-Oh way more than I will ever care about any mainstream (or pretty much anyone from the jerks who they are great, but aren’t that much good), then the reason is that simply, for me Yu-Gi-Oh is way more relatable show and done right.//////

The Best of VRAINS

Everyone has their own preference of when VRAINS shined the brightest. In my view, the highlight of the series was hands down the Ignis Warfare arc that took place between Episode 84 – 103. Though they aired almost 10 months ago to this day, they remain the most vivid in my memories. The events that took place during these episode was what made me realize the amazing potential in this series.

My personal individual favourites were Episode 75 (my love for Go Onizuka being a badass monster), Episode 102 (Playmaker Invokeing Firewall Dragon Dark Fluid for the first time ), Episode 116, (simply because Revolver and Soulburner both had a close case) and Episode 87 and Episode 88 (it was sheer insanity, also the animation during those episodes, were hands down, the best of the entire series on point). Same can go to Episode 89 and 90. Maybe, just maybe, had there been no production woes, VRAINS’s true potential could have been realized and could have ended differently. And, I think the real reason ARC-V went bad during season 2 was due to multiple reasons: Ono working on Symphogear 3rd Season. Kamishiro failed to show his full potential as a writer. DSOD take away the money for the animation. In all, ARC-V is a show that will make you feel the mixed emotions of happiness, sadness and frustration. It is up to you whether you wish to take that journey, to see all what it sincerely, could have been.

Final Judgement

In the end, Is VRAINS the new best of the Yu-Gi-Oh! series franchise? It is up to you to make that call. Anyone can decide to like it or watch it. But, still, I’m happy to do a review on VRAINS. All in all, I enjoyed VRAINS and making it on my top 5 YGO series.

Thanks for reading my reviews and putting up with me ^_^ And, guess I’ll catch you when YGO 7 starts.

I would like to take a moment to thank you all for be a part of the journey with me. Now we will be embarking on a new adventure with YGO VRAIN! See you then! <3

And with that my review is done!

Thank you everyone who worked on the show the Yu-Gi-OH VRAINS fandom for the hard work they’ve spent these last 2 years and half working on the show supporting it and showing love.

Anyway, stay tuned for the reaction and impression on YGO 7 scans and MC in december late 2019. And the rest of the info in the first few months of 2020.

Till then, y’all take care….. *phone rings* Well, look at that. I gotta duel in Duel Links.

See ya later~
Dec 27, 2019 6:52 PM

Jan 2013
The start was pretty interesting with everything regarding Artificial Intelligence (not AI the character)
I definitely nejoyed the first half of the anime but after that it just felt ... rushed and repetitive.

I do have to say it definitely had its moments, the characters were a lot better compared to the previous entry, being Arc-V.

The final bit with AI vs Playmaker was entertaining but a bit too late to redeem the entire show.

6/10 from me
Mar 20, 2020 7:21 AM

Jun 2012
I can pretty much say for sure now this was, and probably is, the closest thing I'll get to the 5ds successor I've been waiting for. It was just missing some small thing. I'm not entirely sure what. We had a fucked up backstory for the protag, a cool bromance with Soulburner, an intimidating rival through Revolver, a complex villain via Bohman, and then just straight up despair from Ai. Really good show. I both like and dislike how they threw the kings under the bus "Zaizen: Oh they're no one just some shareholders with an inflated ego" xD Kind of reminded me of the big 5. I gotta sit on this for awhile. Cause I'm not sure where I'd rank this. Its definitely fighting for 2nd place with Gx, but I'm not sure if it beats Gx's nostalgia boost.

5ds > Gx = Vrains > Zexal II > DM > Zexal I > Arc-V
Sol_OuMar 20, 2020 7:35 AM
Sep 22, 2020 6:17 PM

Dec 2012
Ai Q.
Drastic Draw. It has Playmaker on it.
The final Link Shokan?
Link 4! Accesscode Talker!
7300 atk.
The Arrival vs Accesscode Talker.
Both are destroyed.
Dark Knight.
Decode Talker.
Playmaker ends his turn.
Ai was the best aibou.
Dark Knight vs Decode Talker.
Ai Strike.
Code Hack.
Decode Endo!
Ai loses.
Dat simulation.
Ai loved Yusaku.
Ai is gone.
The Ai's fall.
Dat shout.
3 months later.
Oh shit! They played the 1st OP.
Kusanagi, Jin, and Aoi.
Kusanagi hasn't had contact with Yusaku since the duel.
Akira. CEO.
LINK BRAINS!
MY WAIFU GHOST GIRL!

And that was the end. Shortest Yugioh series (due to reasons). Couldn't even reach a full 2 and half years (needed 1 more month for that). The 1st 40 something episodes were the most boring shit I've ever watched in Yugioh. The composer was the DM composer and his music was boring as shit in VRAINS. Then season 2 happened and it was a breath of fresh air. Everything started off great. Kimeru returned from DM with a bang with Go Forward. The music in VRAINS got better, etc. Then here come boring ass Bohman who keeps losing and they kept focusing on Blue Face Plant. They wasted episodes on her that could have focused on my waifu Ema. Her only highlight was getting face planted in the most savage way ever in Yugioh history. Her legs were about to touch her head. Thats how savage it was. Speaking of my waifu Ema, she is so fine. From the start, I always wondered why she had pointy ears. Then she said her fireflies were her friends. Thought there was more to her, but it ended up being nothing. Ai didn't feel like a final villain and it didn't feel like a Battle Ceremony. All the final bosses have Z and D in their names. VRAINS was suppose to have a D name. Then again, Yami no Ignis is Dark Ignis in English. So I guess it counts? Anyway, it was better than the shit that was Arc-V. With that said, I'll miss my waifu Ema. She so fine.

Original watch date: May 25, 2020

@Sol_Ou Why are you separating Zexal? Zexal is 1 series. The II in Zexal was added because the series changed timeslots from Monday at 7:30pm to Sunday at 5:30pm. It was added to bring back in viewers who would first think its just a rerun.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Dec 13, 2021 10:38 PM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
phantomfandom said:
I think Linkslayer and Cyberse Wizard are dating
Can't help but laugh at this, you sure you don't mean Cyberse Witch and Cyberse Wizard?
張大です for 張大勇督察
Dec 13, 2021 10:43 PM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
Ai was funny to the end, Playmaker was a good friend.... for a meatbag lol
張大です for 張大勇督察
Sep 7, 2022 8:52 PM
Oct 2017
Idk why they teased AI surviving if they set up everything for his death but ok
Feb 3, 2023 7:46 PM
Apr 2022
AMAZING STORY AND I LOVE HOW DUEL LINKS IS GOInG TO KEEP THE STORY GOING
Jul 23, 2023 4:41 AM

Nov 2015
This is the end of Yugioh ..
Vrains is one of the top 3 Yugioh for me.
Jul 23, 2023 4:42 AM

Nov 2015
Deowin said:
Idk why they teased AI surviving if they set up everything for his death but ok
Yuusaku was on a journey , what was that journey? it was a journey to bring Ai back , so yeah 
Jul 23, 2023 4:45 AM

Nov 2015
valkyrus said:
the way I see it, they were trying to make 5D's 2.0 but it just didn't work out. this is all due to the production issues and even the whole firewall situation that mostly was about ownership issues which made it so that firewall can't appear anymore.
not to mention the mistreated cast except for Yusaku and Takeru and the recaps at the start of the series didn't do the show any good.

overall I think vrains was mediocre but at least it had a better finale than arc-v and if it weren't for all the safe writing, I believe all that wasted potential would have been put to good use and to better the show.
giving it a 5/10 just like arc-v till I decide which one these two is my least favorite spinoff.

valkyrus said:

what happened to firewall? kinda out of the loop
Jul 23, 2023 4:48 AM

Nov 2015
Kaiser-chan said:
It's a shame that the last arc is clearly rushed. Season 2 is pretty good shit, what the heck happened. It's like someone just went and said "Fuck it, we are ending Vrain in the next 3 months!" That's how we ended up with this.

Highly doubt they are gonna make a sequel even if it's possible with open ended the ending is.
Literally same thing happened to Arc V , they suddenly decided to end it and rush release Vrains , I hated Vrains and didn't wanna give it a chance until now for that reason , and seems like they murdered Vrains even harder 
Aug 15, 2023 6:10 PM

Mar 2021
the duels were stupidly well scripted in vrains
Aug 15, 2023 7:01 PM

Mar 2021
Arc v at least had a large ensemble cast that got their moment to shine and had a lot of fan favorite decks. 

Vrains had soulburner kind of ate away the spotlight more than crow did on 5ds. We can argue how Yugo took up a ton of arc v and shark in later of zexal. Go Onizuka, emma practically got written out almost as bad as misawa.
Aug 27, 2023 5:38 AM

Nov 2012
eh vrains certainly did have a lot of ups and downs, with probably too many downs. Unfortunately I also agree with the sentiment I've often seen, that it is a significant drop in quality from previous generations.  I can see why this series stirred all the drama it did behind the scenes, leading to the studio shift for sevens.

there was so much build up to Ai as the final villain, then his arc felt like it ended just as it began lol.
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yu☆Gi☆Oh! VRAINS Episode 34 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 10, 2018

22 by CyanGear »»
Mar 10, 9:29 PM

Poll: » Yu☆Gi☆Oh! VRAINS Episode 32 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 20, 2017

27 by XanderBly »»
Feb 25, 3:16 AM

Poll: » Yu☆Gi☆Oh! VRAINS Episode 82 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 19, 2018

13 by denana1239 »»
Jun 2, 2023 10:39 AM

Poll: » Yu☆Gi☆Oh! VRAINS Episode 102 Discussion

Stark700 - May 15, 2019

10 by StarlingBGYT »»
Jan 16, 2023 10:52 PM

Poll: » Yu☆Gi☆Oh! VRAINS Episode 23 Discussion

Stark700 - Oct 18, 2017

11 by vegeet »»
Jan 15, 2023 12:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.