Forum Settings
Forums

How have your tastes changed since you started anime?

New
Sep 19, 2019 12:44 PM
News Team
Demon Spawn

Apr 2017
It's been I think just over 4 years since I started watching anime and I've gone from impressed by literally any action sequence to only watching dramas (however there are still a decent amount of shounens mixed in, just less impressed by the fighting)

I feel like it's so much harder for me to fall in love with a series now because my taste has become too specific
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 19, 2019 12:52 PM

Jun 2019
To a great extent. Most of the shows I rated 6 or below now would've been 7 or higher if I had joined mal 2 years ago since I realized how forgettable they were after finding new things.
ShitasteSep 19, 2019 1:06 PM

ブレ
ブレ
ブレ
ブレ

Sep 19, 2019 12:53 PM

Oct 2010
Firstly I watched battle shonen, and now I got bored of it, I like some drama, comedy and ecchi.
Sep 19, 2019 12:58 PM
May 2019
Not much my favorite genres are still Psychological/Dementia, Space and Yuri, but I tend to watch a bit of everything like I always did.
Sep 19, 2019 1:41 PM

Oct 2017
Hard to say. My ideas about what my tastes are have changed. But I feel like not only is my taste constantly evolving, but a good show can make a genre I wouldn't usually like really interesting. Like I've never been much for supernatural stuff or vampires, but then Monogatari came along (and more recently, the little known Shaft work Dance in the Vampire Bund, which I highly recommend).

I think the only genre I've never been able to get in to is battle shounen type stuff. Just not my thing. Fights don't do much for me. Like, I'm a big Fate fan. But the fights in Fate aren't that big of a draw. I like the universe, the characters, the premise, the deep themes, the lore with the heroic spirits that brings in historical aspects. The work ufotable did is amazing and looks gorgeous, but the actual fight scene animation quality people talk up doesn't do much for me. And would straight up bore me without the context surrounding them.

For example, I dropped MP100 season 2 with only two episodes left because as soon as the action picked up and it was all fight scenes, I was literally falling asleep trying to finish it. No joke. I tried watching the same episode twice before dropping it. Nowadays I'm much quicker to drop stuff.

A little more OT; I feel like my tastes changes on a monthly or even weekly basis, so I try to pick a new anime based on what I feel like watching. I try to be very selective and make sure I'm not just watching something becuase someone said it's good, or because it's a follow up to something else I liked. I want to make sure that I'm excited to start the series. Because I know if I go in half-hearted I'm going to enjoy it less.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Sep 19, 2019 1:45 PM
Jan 2019
I actively started anime about 4 years ago,and I can tell my "taste" and preferences got clearer,more specified and defined. Back then I wasn't impressed by just anything and my general "likes and dislikes" (genre,character type wise) stayed the same,but I definitely pay more attention in choosing what to watch.
Sep 19, 2019 2:05 PM
Jul 2018
Started watching about 10 years ago, the things i like haven't changed to recent days despite i took a few years off anime in the middle and restarted watching anime again. I only learn to identify the specific taste i like and drawn to. Finding the right anime is afterall important to keep up the interest.
Sep 19, 2019 2:30 PM
Dec 2018
It is kinda the same. I still can't watch most of the wite knight shounen.

Back in the day(should be around 2007 or 2008) when I got interrested a second time in anime after a few years of not watching a single one I got recommended the now usual ones like "Death Note", "Black Lagoon" and "Code Geass" from a friend in WoW after a debatte that most US shows are only show the hero perspective and are boring/repetive.

I even nearly dropped Code Geass as an example in the first episode until the last few minutes of episode 1 after that I was in. x)

While I can enjoy a fast variety of shows one thing never did changed, - I really dislike those manga/shows with a naive MC who never kills anyone(even if the villians killing someone) and tries to convince everyone with the power of love.

Two extreme examples are:

-NGNL The rules of the world are set by a higher being and thus the "no kill" rule makes sense.

- Code Breaker A villian killing around 100 civiclians but the female MC tries and succed to protect him from beeing killed just for shounen logic = just no.
Sep 19, 2019 2:35 PM

Oct 2017
Well, when I started to watch anime consciously i watched stuff like Bleach or Bepop now i watch lolis doing shit.

Sep 19, 2019 2:53 PM

Sep 2018
Since the beginning I’ve always just watched what looked cool to me, and I still do. I will say most of the anime I watched when I was younger was more of that wannabe edgy shit and now I just watch weird comedies or people shooting eachother. I also pay more attention to art style and animation
Sep 19, 2019 2:55 PM
Nov 2018
I used to have standards, man. I used to watch Code Geass and Death Note and tell everyone to watch Code Geass and Death Note. I used to watch the shows that mattered, man.
Now? Now I look up titles like: Help! My Bunnygirl Sister and My Smartphone Are in My Harem in Another World
Sep 19, 2019 2:55 PM

Jan 2016
Slowly moved away from action series and more into realistic dramas or slice of life. I still enjoy action series to an extent, but I tend to have much stronger reactions to dramas like Nodame Cantabile or March Comes in Like a Lion than action series like Demon Slayer or even Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. (And to be clear, I still really like both of those series, but dramas tend to resonate with me more)
You have shit taste, and then I have taste so shit it makes your taste look good
Sep 19, 2019 2:57 PM

Dec 2015
When I started to watch anime around 10 years ago I loved watching battleshounen and ecchi harems.

But for around 5 years ago I got sicked and I started to try out new genre at the same time.

I still love watching ecchi/harem, it's joy for me.

But I got a huge problem with some battle shounens they are to slow pacing.
Like Bleach,the anime is very slow vs the manga. SO I coud not finish it off when i started it at the start of this year.

But what I love now is SoL, Shoujo, Romance and normal shows with the genre of vampire.

Sep 19, 2019 3:14 PM

Apr 2018
I don't think my tastes have changed much aside from liking more mature themed anime, but being in my mid 20s I still could watch anything from Pokemon to Shigurui or Prison Schhol and just about anything else between. As long as it's good it doesn't matter much to me what i'm watching. I do have favorite genres I am always on the lookout for like Cyberpunk, Sword and Sorcery Fantasy, and Military among many others but i'll watch almost whatever.
Sep 19, 2019 3:55 PM

Jul 2019
I didn't really know what I wanted honestly. I don't think I even paid attention to the genres at first. After watching more anime, I know that I have a preference for shounen and action now. While I'm open to other genres, I'm also more careful when I pick something to watch.
Life is a despicable endurance race
Sep 19, 2019 4:07 PM

Feb 2017
I watched all the mainstreams and then got bored out of it and decided to look for new things. That's how I stumble upon psychological and obscure stuff, but for now I just want to enjoy a lot of variety of shows
Sep 19, 2019 4:11 PM
Jul 2014
Not much but that's because there isn't much variety in anime. Most unique anime are older. Newer ones are about the same.
Sep 19, 2019 4:12 PM

Mar 2015
Firstly when I was young, I was into ecchi since they're attractive and funny. Along with battle shounen and edgy shows, I used to love them very much.

But then the more I watch, the more I realized their story sucks. So I find Psychological, Slice of life and Thriller are the way to go,... Til today, I pretty much watch anything that looks interesting beside the pointless ecchi.
The world is not beautiful. Therefore, it is.
Sep 19, 2019 4:17 PM

Dec 2018
i mean i used to think sword art online was good, mostly cause i like the world building and atmosphere. Now its not so good, but still gets too much shit. I feel my taste has developed well
Sep 19, 2019 4:19 PM

Oct 2017
Yeah when I first got into anime/manga as a kid years and years ago I mostly stuck to battle shonen occasionally maybe branching off to some romances here and there. I was way more picky in general. Today I literally will watch almost anything if there is some praise behind it. I still enjoy some action adventure shonen but they don't really dominate my interest as much as they used to say 7 years ago.

I tend to really enjoy slow and atmospheric shows these days like Mushishi, Yuru Camp or Serial Experiments Lain. I want to watch and enjoy more shows like that but again go back years and years I probably wouldn't have seen the appeal.
Sep 19, 2019 9:47 PM
Jul 2018
honestly my tastes haven't changed much but i don't even really know how to characterize them

i have a really good track record of being able to pick shows i will like based on simple info like a synopsis or briefly looking at the characters, an OP, etc. and i have discovered shows from many genres this way. but there's only a couple specific people that have a high rate of recommending stuff and me actually liking it

ive literally only disliked 1 anime that i found on my own, not counting one other anime that started off really well then went shockingly quickly into the garbage can later

Sep 19, 2019 10:02 PM
Jul 2018
Honestly, I can't exactly recall what my tastes in anime were when I first started watching. I guess I was more into faster paced action or comedy anime, but I think even back then I was a little more open minded? I first started watching Monster, Fate/Zero, and FMA Brotherhood when I was a kid, and I remember them being slow paced for a good chunk, which bored me, but if I were to rewatch the series now, I think I'd appreciate the slow pacing. Rewatching Fate/Zero recently showed that.

Nubiellee said:
I didn't really know what I wanted honestly. I don't think I even paid attention to the genres at first. After watching more anime, I know that I have a preference for shounen and action now. While I'm open to other genres, I'm also more careful when I pick something to watch.

That's interesting, because a lot of peoples' preferences were action shounen when they were younger and first started watching anime, but then that changed over time.
Sep 19, 2019 10:05 PM

Sep 2016
It's not that your tastes change, it's that your understanding becomes more broad. You don't know you like something until you try it.

ʙᴇᴄᴀᴜꜱᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ'ꜱ ᴛʜᴇ ᴇᴀꜱɪᴇꜱᴛ ᴡᴀy ᴛᴏ ᴋᴇᴇᴩ ꜰʀᴏᴍ ɢᴇᴛᴛɪɴɢ ʜᴜʀᴛ
yᴏᴜ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ᴇᴠᴇɴ ʟᴏᴠᴇᴅ yᴏᴜʀꜱᴇʟꜰ
yᴏᴜ'ʀᴇ ᴀʟʟ yᴏᴜ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀɴᴅ yᴏᴜ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ᴇᴠᴇɴ ʟᴇᴀʀɴᴇᴅ ᴛᴏ ʟɪᴋᴇ yᴏᴜʀꜱᴇʟꜰ
Sep 19, 2019 10:08 PM

Mar 2016
Tinybox said:
It's not that your tastes change, it's that your understanding becomes more broad. You don't know you like something until you try it.
yeah i feel we fundamentally still like the same things we always have but it takes something better than an old favorite to realize that maybe said favorite wasn't that great
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Sep 19, 2019 10:49 PM

Apr 2015
Well, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have watched something like Seitokai Yakuindomo back in 1998 (to be honest, I still don't like shimoneta, but the characters were appealing enough for me to endure it)... I guess that would be the extent of the change: I still don't like sports anime (Slam Dunk I did enjoy), I can't stand hentai, I'm not really a fan of yuri or otherwise shoujo ai (much less yaoi or shounen ai, though that last one can be bearable if the story is decent for my "weird" standards), I'm not a fan of mecha, most games anime don't really pick my interest (especially when the stuff I got to watch on TV back then was Yu-Gi-Ō, Beyblade, B-Daman or however it was, meh...), I'm not all in for many types of romance anime, I'm still heavily picky about art style, I continue being inclined towards comedy and otherwise entertaining, simple stuff, still can't stand gore, and still like some good action anime every now and then
Sep 19, 2019 10:56 PM

Sep 2015
I used to be pretty picky with what I watched mainly staying within the shounen genre and its sub-genres, but after like 2 years or so, I had gotten to the point where I felt like I was being too selective and was watching basically the same shows just with different character designs. Now, I'll watch almost anything regardless of the genre with an exception to a few, because now I just want to broaden my range of what I've seen and that so far has led me to find some pretty amazing shows that the me 3-4 years ago would have never given a second thought
Sep 19, 2019 11:27 PM

Feb 2017
Yup, when I was a kid, I started watching the typical shonen series, like Pokemon, Digimon, Dragon Ball, among others (except Cardcaptor Sakura, which I love it!, and sometimes, Sailor Moon). In junior high, I was stuck in more "mature" action series like Rurouni Kenshin, Gundam Wing and Sakura Wars. Later, in high school I used to like gore and action (like Elfen Lied), then I shifted into more comedy-focused series (best so far in the genre are Asobi Asobase, Demi-chan and Wotakoi)
We are EVERYWHERE...
Sep 20, 2019 12:19 AM
Jul 2018
Like many others, I loved battle shonen at first. But as I grew up, I noticed that I didn't really like battle shonen that much and my taste shifted to a more diverse range of anime. Specifically, supernatural/urban fantasies and a couple of school life shows as well.
Sep 25, 2019 10:10 AM

Jul 2019
yes, there are shows I enjoyed once but now I dislike them. For example sao and Nanatsu no taizai. I still watch everything from Slice of life to action.
Sep 25, 2019 10:17 AM
Jul 2018
They haven't changed per se but there is nothing produced with quality similar to Nippon Animation and TMS classics anymore, so I have to make some concessions
Sep 25, 2019 10:20 AM

Jun 2019
I have become full elitist, and it's wonderful.
Sep 25, 2019 11:38 AM

May 2017
It's been 3 years since I started watching anime on the regular, but I had a few series under my belt before that.
Now, I'm more likely to find interest in sports anime and mech anime, when before that, I would NEVER check a series out if it was a tagged genre. But my eyes have been opened lol
I also never used to watch seasonal anime. Now I like to check out new stuff and discuss it.
Sep 25, 2019 12:37 PM

Dec 2010
I don't think my taste has changed much I still like shounen as much as I always have the only things that have changed would be me liking more Drama and some more serious stories as well.
Sep 26, 2019 1:54 AM

Oct 2008
It's been close to 15 years now, I think that my taste has become more refined. It's hard to like many anime after so many years, but I have gained an appreciation for both old and new anime.
Sep 26, 2019 4:07 AM

Aug 2018
Back then im more into shounen animes
but now im more into romcom.
I still watch a lot of variety animes, it depends on how good and unique the plot is. I value the story and characters now compare before.
B O C C H I  S W E E P
Sep 26, 2019 11:33 AM

Dec 2017
Not really, I still like the same things typically speaking, the biggest thing to change is that I no longer go into shows with any expectations because that only leads to dissappointment

Why don’t we become monsters and really mess up this awful world? Just destroy until there’s no more evil, no more sadness, no more anything…
Wouldn’t that be great?

Oct 8, 2019 7:13 PM

Oct 2019
Shockingly little. Live by the action-adventure shounen, die by the action-adventure shounen.
Have you done your punches of gratitude today?
Oct 8, 2019 7:15 PM

Aug 2009
Me in 2009: Ecchi is trash.

Me in 2014: Fuck harems.

Me in 2019: Everything's fine.

Oct 8, 2019 7:16 PM

Jan 2018
I started off watching only mainstream shit, but I guess nowadays you would call me an "elitist."

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Oct 8, 2019 7:19 PM

Sep 2017
I've been watching anime for over 20 years. My tastes have changed so so many times since then but Sailor Moon is still my favorite.
Oct 8, 2019 7:20 PM
Jul 2018
I was definitely one of those "not like other girls" girls and mainly read battle shonen and wouldn't give any shojo that wasn't something like Rayearth a chance.

Now battle shonen bore me and the girlier something is, the better.
Oct 8, 2019 7:27 PM

Jul 2013
i've been into anime for a decade and nah my taste hasn't changed. i still favor shonen and occasionally branching out into something else.
Oct 15, 2019 11:37 PM
Mar 2018
Started with slice of life/drama to any anime that has a OP character than later to only psychological/thriller or supernatural
Oct 15, 2019 11:55 PM

Oct 2019
I used to love underdog MCs who persevere and become OP despite initial lack of power. Now I love OP MCs with deus ex machina right from the get go.
Oct 15, 2019 11:57 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Well I'm probably more open-minded in general now and my sexuality has changed so I guess that's something

Not as easy to please either when you've seen enough
Oct 16, 2019 12:12 AM

Jan 2019
Aiimee said:
It's been I think just over 4 years since I started watching anime and I've gone from impressed by literally any action sequence to only watching dramas (however there are still a decent amount of shounens mixed in, just less impressed by the fighting)

I feel like it's so much harder for me to fall in love with a series now because my taste has become too specific

I get what you mean. The longer we watch anime, the more specific preferance for us to get interest with. For me, I remember when I started to watch and like anime, it was mainly because of shounen anime genre that available. But now, I'm more interested in deep story that has realistic setting and characters. I wonder is it because we already old enough to watch shounen stuff or not but then I believe how far time goes by, if a series had a very good writing and execution, it will be good no matter when we play it again, whether we're old or young. So, I think yeah I agree with you, taste could change as we aged indeed
Oct 16, 2019 12:14 AM

Oct 2013
I'm still into the same genre of anime I was when I got started, but I'm a little more open to trying other types now than I was before.

Also I'm a lot less picky when it comes to art styles. Before I would have never watched an anime like Pant & Stocking or Katanagatari because of the way they looked. I was always a lot more picky with anime than I was with western cartoons when it came to art styles.
Oct 16, 2019 12:21 AM

Jan 2019
Yes, im getting so sick of Shounens with fighting due to 99% of them being cliche and generic. After I finish "Another" today, I might only watch Animes with a cast that's primarily females, or just Gore, Horror, Mystery, Psychological, Comedy type animes for a while. Also im gonna stray away from most Isekai's due to the same reason but there is 2 new ones that actually worth watching to me. Watashi, Nouryoku wa Heikinchi de tte Itta yo ne! (God give me average powers). Honzuki no Gekokujou (Bookworm girl), Mairimashita! Iruma-kun (Boy gets sold my his parents. He goes to the Demon World)
Oct 16, 2019 12:49 AM

Aug 2019
In the beginning I used to like heavy dystopian s/f, psychological thrillers and such werid shit (SEL, Ergo Proxy, Psycho-Pass, everything Satoshi Kon etc).

Now what I enjoy the most are cute wholesome slice of life (Takagi-San, Yuru Camp, Kaguya-Sama, Senryou Girl). It just makes me feel so much better and positive about life.

I never liked shonen battle or isekai so nothing changed here, altough I enjoy a good isekai parody.
Oct 16, 2019 12:52 AM
Oct 2019
Started watching anime 5 years ago not much has changed but I do like a good bawl my eyes out anime more did I did back then.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Have you ever felt so satisfied after finishing certain anime that you don't even want its sequel?

Rinrinka - Apr 12

39 by bucciest »»
1 minute ago

» Do i have to put a show i ranked 10/10 in my favorites?

FarWalker - Apr 22

40 by bucciest »»
3 minutes ago

» Is there hope for classic super robots?

Timeline_man - 2 hours ago

4 by Ex-Aid »»
4 minutes ago

» Is watching a show for the cute girl weird?

fallout45 - 38 minutes ago

9 by Ex-Aid »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 5 hours ago

20 by luckyrune »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.