Forum Settings
Forums

Challenge: Convince me to start binging One Piece.

New
Sep 16, 2019 3:44 AM
May 2019
For the years I've been an anime watcher, I've heard One Piece recommended to me over and over and over again. I have been wanting to watch One Piece for ages, but always turn it off for A or B reasons. The main issue I am having here is that I don't want to spend my time watching something I might not like, especially if it's 800+ episodes long. If this anime really lives up to its reputation, I might have something to enjoy over the next month or two. I'm not asking for a whole lot here, just give me the reasons why you enjoy it and why I might enjoy it.
Sep 16, 2019 3:53 AM

Jun 2019
If you really wanna get into the OP hype train,better go with the manga instead. I've heard a lot about the anime having a rather "slow" pacing. Each episode covering a single chapter and stuff like that. Also,reading manga is unarguably a better way to catch up with long running shows such as One Piece since you have a full control of binging the arcs at your own pace.

~~Ignore the fact that I haven't read the manga or watched the anime yet.~~ It's still better to read the manga and watch some specific fight scenes or the movies if you really want.

ブレ
ブレ
ブレ
ブレ

Sep 16, 2019 3:53 AM

Jun 2017
I haven't watched it myself. But I recommend reading the manga instead. The anime is designed to air on tv every week for a long time. So it is really dragged out. The manga should be on point and without fillers...
Sep 16, 2019 3:54 AM

Jul 2012
Just off hand. Possibly the best world building in any anime especially when it comes to scaling events and building a world outside of the main casts adventures. A solid cast of memorable characters that manages to mix defined character roles but still allowing for very fluid and interesting character chemistry and dynamics (and that's not even counting the endless amount of generally solid support characters or antagonists). It's a show heavily rooted in comedy that still manages to pull off some amazingly emotional and dramatic story telling.

Off note: what's with the sudden increase in One Piece threads?
GamerDLMSep 16, 2019 4:00 AM
Sep 16, 2019 4:07 AM
Jul 2018
It's basically this era's trend setter for shounen tropes, but it's a lot more potent than the ilk that it's inspired. Tho as of recently it's been quite akin stylistically to the older series' that it supplanted, which is a direction i'm not all that fond of. Regardless, if you're interested just start watching it dude, it only gets longer every week lol.

And like ^ those dudes ^ said, you could also read the manga to see if you could get into it. No one's forcing you watch it all just cuz you start it.
Sep 16, 2019 4:08 AM

May 2018
"Convince me to start binging One Piece."
Actually you can start liking it after 100-200 episodes.
Around that point there is more clear explanations what this show is really about.
alshuSep 16, 2019 4:16 AM
Sep 16, 2019 4:13 AM
ranked 54 in FAL
Mar 2018
First of all, it's 900+ now ;) secondly, based on your list it seems you enjoy similar series that either influenced the show such as dragon ball, existed in the same sphere of influence like naruto or was influenced by those like hero aca, so I don't see why you wouldn't like it, if the length is your only issue maybe go for the manga as the anime does have a pacing problem, especially later on with unbelievableably stretched out arcs and episodes. As for why I like it, there are numerous reasons, a major one is nostalgia admittedly, as I watched the first arc on tv as a kid, but even without it the series has a lot to offer, from an ever expanding living world that I can't say you can find in any other anime(from the ones i watched), to likeable characters that you can't help but root for and enjoy all their quirks and different interactions with one another, to pretty serious themes being explored, and while so many episodes can intimidate, personally I enjoy and even actively search for series I can binge for a long time, other than that one piece does have a pretty cool power system and plenty of shonen battles and hype which is something I adore, pretty dope openings In front of most episodes and one of the sickest ost lineups you'll ever find in anime, I really think that if you can spare some time at least give it a shot(which in one piece terms does kinda mean committing to like 200 episodes), hope you'll enjoy it if you end up picking it up and have a nice day.
Sep 16, 2019 4:20 AM

Sep 2019
alshu said:
"Convince me to start binging One Piece."
Actually you can start liking it after 100-200 episodes.
Around that point there is more clear explanations what this show is really about.
can't he just read the manga/mango or is anime match the mango level.
"I think I wanted to attack something. Like betraying people or hurting people. And, well, it's not exactly nice, but hurting the readers too... In all honestly, I feel that's what I really wanted to do. For me, as a reader, when I think, "this manga will remain in my heart," it means, for example, it phenomenally hurt me: It's those kinds of experiences I'm after." - Pajime Hisayama (My favourite hurting author).
Sep 16, 2019 4:29 AM

May 2018
Peeti said:
can't he just read the manga/mango or is anime match the mango level.

This is not what he wants me to do.

Not what the challenge is here.

I never read the manga tho.
alshuSep 16, 2019 6:19 AM
Sep 16, 2019 4:31 AM

Sep 2011
the fact u want people to convince you means that there's already the notion of you wanting to start it, you just need that swift kick in the ass. well, better get started now before the number becomes even more daunting.
Sep 16, 2019 6:17 AM

Nov 2018
It's not a matter of convincing, if you Wannna watch it but ignoring due to some personal reason and blaming it for too long it's not right.

I know,I Can't convince you but I can give some hints if you really wanna watch it.

2. Almost whole story of One Piece covers in "Grandline" where only very strong person can only survive.Grandline is divided into two parts 2nd half is known as "New World " where human even stronger than 1st half of Grandline reside.

3.Use of fruits-The whole story of One Piece from beginning to last depend on fruits These are power source of every pirate and even marines. These are known as Devil Fruits. These are divided into 3 types.
(a)Zone Type-It convert people into animal.
(b)Paramecia-It doesn't convert body into anything but give additional power. Like Luffy have this fruit power due to which it can stretch his body.
(c)Logia Type-It convert body into fluid form. It may be liquid or gas.Like fire,ice, molten lava or acid.
Logia type is strongest. Cuz neither Paramecia nor zone type can even touch them. Those who can use "Haki" only touch them.
Paramecia is 2nd stronger and last zone type.

I think this is enough hint to watch One Piece.Even now, if you are not convinced and wanna know more then you can text me. I can tell you more hints about One Piece like how he met his all friends convinced them to join his crew.

Now,choice is yours.
_aLiez_LINSep 16, 2019 9:14 PM
"When they're alive, you can enjoy watching them struggle. When they're dead, you can enjoy tearing out their guts. Tales are things you get to enjoy twice."
Sep 16, 2019 6:47 AM

May 2018
Chhotyu said:
Almost whole story of One Piece covers in "Grandline" where only very strong person can only survive.

OK this almost makes no sense.
- You should explain that the Grand Line is an ocean current that encircles the globe.
- The MCs are using this current in search for the One Piece, which is a legendary treasure.
- Being physically strong is not necessary. Like you can be rich, hire some mercenaries and small but well equipped fleet to travel it.
Also having some knowledge about the political situation - which zones of pirate influence you should go around and where to bribe you passage trough.
On the other hang our guys are poor and small in numbers, so they can only count on their strength, ingenuity, one donated small ship made by an amateur, the stuuf they loot along the ride (they are pirate wannabes by the way), dedication and frankly said shier madness.

Chhotyu said:
In grandline a new special term"Haki" is introduced.

I don't get the "In grandline" part (more like "lately in the series") but "Haki" is a spoiler.
alshuSep 16, 2019 6:56 AM
Sep 16, 2019 3:52 PM

Nov 2018
alshu said:
Chhotyu said:
Almost whole story of One Piece covers in "Grandline" where only very strong person can only survive.

OK this almost makes no sense.
- You should explain that the Grand Line is an ocean current that encircles the globe.
- The MCs are using this current in search for the One Piece, which is a legendary treasure.
- Being physically strong is not necessary. Like you can be rich, hire some mercenaries and small but well equipped fleet to travel it.
Also having some knowledge about the political situation - which zones of pirate influence you should go around and where to bribe you passage trough.
On the other hang our guys are poor and small in numbers, so they can only count on their strength, ingenuity, one donated small ship made by an amateur, the stuuf they loot along the ride (they are pirate wannabes by the way), dedication and frankly said shier madness.

Chhotyu said:
In grandline a new special term"Haki" is introduced.

I don't get the "In grandline" part (more like "lately in the series") but "Haki" is a spoiler.
I think, I've explained only major parts of story on which One Piece is based. And there are still many important parts one can explain.
From your explanations, it looks like you are just explaining about situation of all MCs.
"When they're alive, you can enjoy watching them struggle. When they're dead, you can enjoy tearing out their guts. Tales are things you get to enjoy twice."
Sep 16, 2019 4:11 PM
Jul 2018
5 reasons:

1. zoro is just like a samurai
2. nami's not shy
3. usopp's doing that marksman thing
4. sanji's cookin
5. CHOPPERs DOCTORING
Sep 16, 2019 4:12 PM
Sep 2018
just read the manga you'll get through it much quicker plus you'll skip the filler parts, even though some of the filler arcs are very good
Sep 16, 2019 4:26 PM

Sep 2015
Even if you want to watch One Piece, I don't know if a binge is the right way to watch it. As others have mentioned, it's 900+ and somewhat slow going as you get into it. I didn't find the early arcs particularly slow, but it gets bad (Dressrosa is particularly notorious for its poor pacing). It's a show that I've taken my time on, and really enjoyed for that reason. Watching a handful of episodes a week (more when I'm on a particularly good stretch) has kept me from getting overwhelmed. This doesn't work for everyone, but it's my suggestion.

Something you might want to consider if you're intent on binging is One Pace (google it). A group of fans has recut the show to give a similar-to-manga pacing. Not every arc is done, but most of them are, and particularly the long ones are.
Sep 16, 2019 4:27 PM

May 2018
Just read the manga. Anime is too slow pace and has lots of filler.
Sep 16, 2019 5:41 PM

Jul 2013
I won't convince you and besides, this whole battle shounen stuff is so five minutes ago.
Sep 16, 2019 7:11 PM

Aug 2016
I'm a very big One Piece fan but I wouldn't recommend the anime at all.

At certain points the pacing becomes unbearable. You will see fights dragged out to 10-15 episodes. Each barely having anything happening and them cutting to random bullshit no one cares about. I can give some non spoiler examples from the previous arc that just happened. An entire episode was dedicated to a guy bringing a basket of food to another guy and him dropping it and getting lost along the way.. Another episode had a scene of like 5-7 minutes of a girl walking towards her ally in slow motion while she had an internal monologue.

The good news is that they finally realized it's better to have filler episodes than it is to try to use A SINGLE MANGA chapter for one episode... The pacing is ATROCIOUS... read the manga seriously. I hate to be one of those people, but seriously if you must to anime only.. then watch something else. I'd recommended Hunter X Hunter (2011)
Sep 16, 2019 7:14 PM

Jan 2009
lol i heard the majority of later episodes of One Piece only animate 1 chapter per episode and you can read pratically 5+ chapters of the manga during those 30 minutes of watching 1 episode of the anime of it anyway

so ye i recommend you just read the manga if you really want to get into it

there is also a colored version of the manga being done by the fans
Sep 16, 2019 11:18 PM

Jun 2007
I haven't watched One Piece either, but I understand that a lot of episodes have recaps for part of the runtime. So it should be possible to skim/skip past those, and if you skip OP/ED as well, it should be possible to burn through One Piece episodes faster than episodes of an average series.
Sep 16, 2019 11:36 PM

Aug 2019
Watch the first 70-100 episodes. If you don't like it put it on hold, if you do keep watching. That's what I did, I watched >100 episodes and now its on hold. Atleast I don't have to post a silly thread that I haven't seen it because I've seen just under 100 one piece episodes.
Sep 16, 2019 11:58 PM

Jan 2017
heg said:
there is also a colored version of the manga being done by the fans

The colouring is official but the translation is done by the fans.

More topics from this board

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 51 minutes ago

13 by WatchTillTandava »»
2 minutes ago

» Anime adaptation wish list

kuroneko99 - Apr 5

27 by Rhaelynne »»
4 minutes ago

» MULTIPLE UNRELATED anime that you think could be set in the same anime universe

IpreferEcchi - 38 minutes ago

3 by Otakupervert890 »»
4 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

233 by Maumuu »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » What tropes do you find the most annoying in a protagonist?

ZeroMajor12 - 1 hour ago

11 by Rhaelynne »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.