Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 3, 2019 10:41 AM

Feb 2017
How do a lot of you feel by the shutting down of Mangarock? I know a lot of you like supporting the creators by purchasing manga. But I know a lot of members who use Mangarock to find manga they are not able to purchase in their region.

(Please Keep It Civil)
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 3, 2019 12:02 PM

Jul 2017
it's a big suck, especially since MR has such a nice app (apart from a few technical problems here and there, and the backup system sucking ass) but it has a very clean UI and easy to navigate. Plus it has a very big catalog

but oh well, such a big/popular piracy app was never going to last forever
Sep 3, 2019 12:03 PM

Jan 2016
WHAAAAAT... Damn, It was what I used before I found MangaDex. RIP.
Sep 3, 2019 12:25 PM

Jun 2014
It's certainly a sad day. The site is still working at the moment, so I don't know exactly what day it'll shut down.

The vast majority of all the Manga I read has never been licensed in North America, so there's no legal means to read it. Of course, MangaRock isn't the only site out there, and as they shut it down, more will appear in its place.

Sep 3, 2019 2:15 PM

Nov 2011
mangarock is garbage, so its nice to see them go.
this wont affect manga piracy of course, since they are just a repo for pirated manga, not the source themselves.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Sep 3, 2019 2:27 PM

Jun 2014
DreamingBeats said:
this wont affect manga piracy of course, since they are just a repo for pirated manga, not the source themselves.

Why do you think that MangaRock is garbage?

What do you think is better?

Sep 3, 2019 2:35 PM

Nov 2011
Seiya said:
DreamingBeats said:

ads, even with paid (lol) sub
https://www.reddit.com/r/mangarockapp/comments/8nnwcx/mangarock_is_getting_out_of_hand_for_me_any_good/

as for what is better:
i use BookLive (Comic Cmoa is great too)
but if you dont know Japanese and an english version is not legally available, you are far better off donwnloading it instead.
(basically same as anime)
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Sep 3, 2019 2:38 PM

Jun 2014
DreamingBeats said:
Seiya said:

ads, even with paid (lol) sub
https://www.reddit.com/r/mangarockapp/comments/8nnwcx/mangarock_is_getting_out_of_hand_for_me_any_good/

as for what is better:
i use BookLive (Comic Cmoa is great too)
but if you dont know Japanese and an english version is not legally available, you are far better off donwnloading it instead.
(basically same as anime)

What "ads?" Don't you use uBlock Origin? I only read Manga on my desktop, so I don't know anything about the app.

I don't download Manga, as I have no idea where to find it. Nyaa.si hardly has any Manga at all.

Sep 3, 2019 3:36 PM
Mar 2018
The few times I tried using mangarock to read manga, it would always say something along the lines of "This manga is now licensed" or something like that. Idk if that was just a me thing or what, but because of that, I never got much use out of Mangarock.
Sep 3, 2019 6:09 PM
Jul 2018
It's not the site I use but I feel bad for the people who do, so it's still a sad day.
Sep 3, 2019 7:33 PM

Jan 2016
fuck, i was actually using mangarock just to read/keep to date with manga that isn't on mangadex. So that sucks
Sep 3, 2019 7:45 PM

Jan 2009
it will not go anywhere lol i made a news thread about this on current events section and the news article updated its info that the site is only blocked on japan and korea but for the rest of the world its still gonna operate as normal

but really google playstore should ban this kind of paid piracy stuff wtf and im a pirate myself
Sep 4, 2019 9:13 AM

Feb 2017
heg said:
it will not go anywhere lol i made a news thread about this on current events section and the news article updated its info that the site is only blocked on japan and korea but for the rest of the world its still gonna operate as normal

but really google playstore should ban this kind of paid piracy stuff wtf and im a pirate myself
on the animenewsnetwork website they did an interview with one of the people who run the site and they said they aren't supporting the app and website any more...thoughts?
Sep 4, 2019 9:16 AM

Feb 2017
unimportantuser said:
The few times I tried using mangarock to read manga, it would always say something along the lines of "This manga is now licensed" or something like that. Idk if that was just a me thing or what, but because of that, I never got much use out of Mangarock.
usually when a manga says it got licensed then it was a region thing or the manga was licensed through a 3rd party distribution that would do the translations for other regions, usually when this happens scanlation teams drop the manga
Sep 4, 2019 10:09 AM

Jun 2019
That sucks an enormous amount of ass. It's probably the main website I use for manga, and it's the only one to have a large amount of them. Hope alternatives will pop up and the manga get archived/downloaded before it disappears.

Sep 4, 2019 11:40 PM

Jun 2017
sucks so much, too much actually. people are poor and cant purchase every manga they want to read.. and MR was the prettiest manga site with so many titles there and i could always find what i wanted but oh well
Sep 5, 2019 5:44 AM

Feb 2013
MangaRock made this mess themselves by being greedy assholes who tried to make a profit off of other peoples work. There is nothing sad about them finally getting what they deserve. I feel fucking second hand embarrassment reading all the comments acting like this is some sort of tragedy.
Sep 5, 2019 9:26 AM

Feb 2017
heg said:

confirmed the site and app is being shut down. They will live on a paid subscription through new site MR Comic
heg said:

official site and app being shut down this month, they will offer a paid comic site called MRComics.com per the Manga rock app news board
Sep 5, 2019 10:07 AM

Aug 2018
I don't really used that site much anyway (desktop only or physical), but I'm curious how much they will charge people for that new site called MRComics.com.
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this message is unavailable in your region.
Please come drink tea, eat cake and procrastinate at the Cute Girls Doing Cute Things Club. We have simulwatches! \o/
Sep 5, 2019 10:58 AM

Dec 2017
Mangarock was a bad website, only used it a few times before I got to know the other sites.

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Sep 5, 2019 11:45 AM
Jul 2018
I'm super bummed since I've been using it to read manga that hasn't been translated into english. I also really liked the reader. Are there any apps or sites that do these translations legally?
removed-userSep 5, 2019 11:49 AM
Sep 5, 2019 12:04 PM

Jan 2018
I never used MangaRock because i am not that fond of reading manga at all, but its really sad to see to shut it down. Also, Japan's government still keeping cracking down all the illegal/pirated manga sites that host manga that are never licensed outside of Japan.

If Japan continues to do this, then illegal and pirated manga will become much more obsolete in the near future if Japan continues to crack down these pirated sites.

Japan's government are so trash and totally greedy and evil whose their purpose is to make their content more accessible by legal means measure, and they do so by launching their Campain called "Cool Japan" in 2013 as a way to promote its pop culture abroad, but yet, they don't work at it at all.

Why, you can watch it here:

Japan should use Korean strategy when it comes to promoting its pop culture though, as Korea has been doing better and better when promoting its pop-cultural abroad like K-Pop, K-Drama, Webtoons, etc.
Sep 5, 2019 2:04 PM

Aug 2018
Lukenzo said:
fuck, i was actually using mangarock just to read/keep to date with manga that isn't on mangadex. So that sucks
Same :( we need a new website man. If you found please quote my message.
Sep 5, 2019 2:13 PM

Aug 2018
NickRedMachine said:
That sucks an enormous amount of ass. It's probably the main website I use for manga, and it's the only one to have a large amount of them. Hope alternatives will pop up and the manga get archived/downloaded before it disappears.
Yes dude I hope so, as you said they have a large amount of them, I don't want to mangas disappear. We have to find alternatives for MangaRock.
Sep 5, 2019 2:30 PM
Jan 2017
I’m incredibly annoyed by the owners of mangarock, but I find it more laughably sad that they think people will support them once they’ve gone legit, or at least to any degree that we used too.

They said it themselves that we just go elsewhere when they took down specific manga, but they still think that taking down mangarock in it’s entirety is going to do anything either? It’ll be an inconvenience for us at best, till we find another platform. Screw them, we don’t need them anyway.
Sep 5, 2019 2:52 PM

Mar 2017
I’m gutted b cause can’t afford to buy manga right now so thx was my only way to read it. Does anyone know of an app like Manga Rock? I don’t want to miss out on any chapters of manga I’m reading rn
Sep 5, 2019 3:14 PM

Dec 2014
It sucks, and these Japanese manga cucks that forced it to shutdown are a bunch of tools. They complain that they're not getting any revenue from it, yet 90% of manga's are being done by fan translators. If they had one app with all the manga in it, then fine, but you have to download 20 different apps or go to 20 different websites to find all the manga you want legally. It's pathetic, and these authors are being ignorant of the fact that the reason their work is so popular outside of Japan is thanks to it being translated and available for FREE.

I hope someone makes a clone of Mangarock and hosts a server somewhere where they can't be taken down.
Sep 5, 2019 3:14 PM

Jul 2017
K so apparently they're gonna keep their systems up and running and also manga updates, so long as users are still using the app

So at least even if they shut down the site/app, it'll still run even for a little longer
Sep 5, 2019 4:10 PM

Aug 2014
Oni_Zokuchou said:
I’m incredibly annoyed by the owners of mangarock, but I find it more laughably sad that they think people will support them once they’ve gone legit, or at least to any degree that we used too.

They said it themselves that we just go elsewhere when they took down specific manga, but they still think that taking down mangarock in it’s entirety is going to do anything either? It’ll be an inconvenience for us at best, till we find another platform. Screw them, we don’t need them anyway.

Lol the most laughable thing that they are not even in scanlation team or someshit.

All they did is rip other people work and ripped digital manga from the piracy site then put it on MR.

In order to go legit, they need their own content and licensed content from other Publishers. Eg those manga that available in Amazon or comixology digitally.
If they're going to go further, they also need to translate the manga themselves.

If it were to happens, there's a good chance that these fucks going stole other people works again then make it legit to their own site.

Manga isn't similar to Anime.
It's the reason why there's yet to be a legit site that can host hundreds thousand of manga.
Sep 5, 2019 5:46 PM

Feb 2019
though I don't use Mangarock, I kinda feel sad for those people on IOS~

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

Sep 5, 2019 5:51 PM

Oct 2015
Oh, yikes. Now I need to find another app ;-;
Sep 5, 2019 6:08 PM

Feb 2017
kater_tot said:
I’m gutted b cause can’t afford to buy manga right now so thx was my only way to read it. Does anyone know of an app like Manga Rock? I don’t want to miss out on any chapters of manga I’m reading rn
I'm using manga master. Not as clean as manga rock though.
Sep 5, 2019 6:10 PM

Feb 2017
Anonim-kun said:
Lukenzo said:
some users mentioned mangadex
Sep 5, 2019 6:42 PM

Feb 2018
Have you heard of Manga Master, it an app on Android and other than the occasional add in between pages it's pretty decent with a good collection of Manga. It's worth a shot.
Sep 5, 2019 6:56 PM

Feb 2017
agarcia421 said:
Have you heard of Manga Master, it an app on Android and other than the occasional add in between pages it's pretty decent with a good collection of Manga. It's worth a shot.
currently my go to app at the moment
Sep 6, 2019 3:13 AM

Apr 2013
Guess I'll need to document my current favorites list just in case.
Sep 6, 2019 3:57 AM

Aug 2018
AllMightY said:
Anonim-kun said:
some users mentioned mangadex
Some series doesn't availably at MangaDex, so we need a find out a new website.
Sep 6, 2019 7:57 AM

Mar 2017
AllMightY said:
kater_tot said:

Thanks for letting me know! You're a life saver!
Sep 6, 2019 8:38 AM

Aug 2018
kater_tot said:
AllMightY said:

We need an app for iOS too!
Sep 6, 2019 11:47 AM
Jul 2018
Anonim-kun said:
kater_tot said:

Yes please! Something for IOS! None of the ones people have mentioned so far are available.
Sep 6, 2019 12:58 PM

Aug 2018
Kitsunebi86 said:
Anonim-kun said:

Yes please! Something for IOS! None of the ones people have mentioned so far are available.
Yeah dude we are fucked up as a iOS user.
Sep 6, 2019 4:43 PM

Mar 2017
Anonim-kun said:
kater_tot said:

I had a look at MangaDex and honestly, it's pretty awesome! But i really agree.... it needs an IOS app!
Sep 6, 2019 10:32 PM

Feb 2017
Dang!

mangarock was probably the biggest manga source after mangakalot. i used it extensively for tachoyomi.

All those peeps who were using mangarock and now are wondering what to do, you can install tachiyomi app. Its the holy grail of manga reading.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Tachiyomi/

https://github.com/inorichi/tachiyomi

Sep 6, 2019 10:36 PM
Jul 2018

MangaZone has an iOS app for iPhone and iPad; I can't vouch for it as I use Android, but maybe give that a try?
Sep 6, 2019 11:19 PM
Jul 2018
vettexl said:

MangaZone has an iOS app for iPhone and iPad; I can't vouch for it as I use Android, but maybe give that a try?

Thanks! I'll check it out!
Sep 6, 2019 11:33 PM
Jan 2015
As someone who only reads one or two manga chapters a month, I shouldn't be sad. I dont even deserve to read manga for free. I'm too busy with life to care about paying for a monthly subscription for f---ing manga.
Sep 23, 2019 2:33 AM
Sep 2019
Uhm guys do you know about a webtoon where the mc is somewhat addicted in games and then one day he left his home just to go to an academy where he will learn magic but then he has the slightest amount of magic power meaning he couldn't attend the academy that's why he just worked as a gardener there

Do you guys know the title of this webtoon?
Sep 23, 2019 8:06 AM

Feb 2017
YaMaGuChi2364 said:
Uhm guys do you know about a webtoon where the mc is somewhat addicted in games and then one day he left his home just to go to an academy where he will learn magic but then he has the slightest amount of magic power meaning he couldn't attend the academy that's why he just worked as a gardener there

Do you guys know the title of this webtoon?
sadly I don't know. Sounds like a interesting read though.
Sep 24, 2019 11:11 PM
Jul 2018
I use free manga downloader that has dozens of manga sites to download and zip compress manga to PC hdd. Then I transfer manga to tablet and use Comic Screen to read it. One of the few readers that offers vertical reading mode. MR manga download option on android sucks because they encrypt the folder and change the file names. MR seems to have the most variety out there.

Mangadex is better because they use uncompressed images.
Sep 25, 2019 12:58 AM
Jul 2018
It's September 25 and nothing has happened aside from them removing their app from the Play Store, any more news on this?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» From all the ongoing (and on hiatus) manga, you can choose only one to eventually reach a conclusion. Which one would it be?

Caciulacdlac - Apr 10

12 by Ashyguy »»
8 hours ago

» How do you read your Manwha/Manhua ?

TheDefCrypt - 8 hours ago

1 by notPara »»
8 hours ago

» Name of this manhwa?

Notadmin - Yesterday

1 by ST63LTH »»
10 hours ago

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

389 by Foxyclaws »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » why do some people hate manhwa/ua so much???

FruitPunchBaka - May 6

11 by bcasey25raptor »»
Yesterday, 11:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.