Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fruits Basket Collector's Edition
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Feb 6, 2020 7:59 AM

Jan 2018
When Hanajima cried ....
omg...
Feb 17, 2020 2:59 AM

Feb 2017
Nice episode. But I am finding these sob stories kinda tiring.
Mar 22, 2020 4:45 PM

Mar 2014
The part where Megumi prays for Hana-chan to find someone who cherishes her in the future always gets to me. 5/5
Mar 31, 2020 12:55 AM

Feb 2019
I initially thought Saki's powers weren't real, but as the show progressed I became more suspicious, and now I'm surprised to learn that her powers are definitely real. And she suffered for it..

Watching those bullying moments were heartbreaking. When those buys tried to force her to eat a lizard, that was disgusting. And when those girls tried to burn her arm? What the hell is wrong with those people? Literally BURNING someone?

I have to say, Saki's family is really lovely. Their daughter is different and suffers so much and I can't even begin to imagine how her parents must feel. But her parents continued to love and support her, never judging her. They didn't once complain about how it affected them, but rather was worried for her well-being. Saki's brother too was so sweet. That scene where he prayed for Saki to meet someone who'll accept her for who she is, that was beautiful.

I thought Tohru's mom wasn't going to play much of a part in this, but there she goes again with her words of wisdom, the right words at the right time. Tohru really does get that from her.

Seeing Saki hate herself and punish herself was so painful, but I'm glad in the end she was able to find happiness (and in the process control her abilities!) and have friends like Tohru and Arisa.

This show just keeps on giving (tearjerkers, that is). Love it so much. 5/5
Apr 5, 2020 5:21 AM

Nov 2014
This part was not in the older version! And I loved it! Best episode of the whole season! The creators really made efforts in the colors and tones of the episode. 5/5

May 20, 2020 3:18 AM

Dec 2013
Those bastards who bully Hana chan!!! Arg.

Love this one.
Hana got a nice family. His bro even prayed for him. He's a good kid! I'm glad she met Uo and Tohru and was able to control her powers.

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

Jul 6, 2020 9:03 PM

May 2013
All hail our favorite dark Queen, Hana-chan <3333

She's so kind ;A; Her hair is so purrttyyy~ Also love Megumi C: I'd love a little brother like that :')
Jul 20, 2020 6:41 PM
Oct 2019
I understand getting the backgrounds of these characters. And it's not "bad".

But this show has slowed to a halt. My interest and enjoyment has dropped.

I miss the Soma family shenanigans and finding out more about the Zodiacs.
Oct 9, 2020 9:02 PM
Apr 2016
The fundamental difference between a thought and an action cannot be disregarded for any reason; thoughts cannot be upheld for any repercussions as they do not represent a person's unfeigned will. Being alarmed over them is justified, but acting as if they are genuinely what you desire is wrong.

The whole blurb of Saki's guilt is a red-herring fallacy — thoughts cannot be upheld for any repercussions, therefore the actions of those bullies are to be upheld for repercussions.
Dec 6, 2020 7:06 PM

Oct 2012
So Hana's basically Wednesday Addams
Feb 27, 2021 5:43 PM

May 2016
Oh sweet lord, I cried at this episode. The part on the stairs really got me ;-; I think this episode highlighted Tooru and Uotani's friendship so well. I love this anime so much T_T

Also I freakin love Tooru's mum, she's awesome.
Feb 28, 2021 6:18 AM

May 2015
YOU DARE TO HURT HANA-CHAN! YOU ARE GOONA PAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Mar 16, 2021 12:46 PM

Jun 2019
This was an emotional episode for me. Right in the feels.
Apr 13, 2021 4:20 PM

Mar 2010
Whoa this blew me out the water, at first I was thinking I wouldn't really get into it.. due to the fact that most if not all the episodes had some sort of message that tries to appease or solve a issue. But shit this was so well done. Its great to see someone who actually had a good family tho ROFL

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Apr 26, 2021 7:39 AM
Apr 2021
really loved this episode.. really shows the history of her friendship with tohru honda
Apr 2021
really loved this episode.. really shows the history of her friendship with tohru
Apr 2021
really loved this episode.. really shows the history of her friendship with tohru
Apr 29, 2021 4:41 PM

Dec 2020
A full episode of Saki? Now you're talking! She is my fav character in this series.
Forum avatar: Lu, from Isekai Nonbiri Nouka
May 12, 2021 8:18 AM

Apr 2020
Best. Girl? Hmmmmmmmm

I still don't understand the voices thingy part of her "powers"

This episode had no comedy, so I hope there would be a lot in the next one
Jun 1, 2021 2:01 PM
Photojournalist

Apr 2007
So she went to schools who's student body was made up entirely of psychopath and future serial killers. That seems to be a common theme in anime depicting bullying but this one was among the most extreme. Is this really how psychotic Japanese children are or is this an exaggeration of normal bullying? This was Elfen Lain level bullying.
Jun 16, 2021 1:50 PM

Nov 2018
Shikkakku said:

Watching those bullying moments were heartbreaking. When those buys tried to force her to eat a lizard, that was disgusting. And when those girls tried to burn her arm? What the hell is wrong with those people? Literally BURNING someone?

I have to say, Saki's family is really lovely. Their daughter is different and suffers so much and I can't even begin to imagine how her parents must feel. But her parents continued to love and support her, never judging her. They didn't once complain about how it affected them, but rather was worried for her well-being. Saki's brother too was so sweet. That scene where he prayed for Saki to meet someone who'll accept her for who she is, that was beautiful.

I thought Tohru's mom wasn't going to play much of a part in this, but there she goes again with her words of wisdom, the right words at the right time. Tohru really does get that from her

For me as well, the bullying part was pretty hard to take in, especially when those girls tried to burn Saki! At the same time I was equally impressed by her strong resolve to not hurt those girls despite her pain! It was just as impressive as when Arisa endured to get beaten by the delinquent girls; maybe a little bit more impressive if I think about it.

I was also very touched by Saki's family! They were so dedicated and thoughtful! Megumi surprised me most, because it is rare to see so much consideration and care from a little brother! He definitely seemed maturer than he actually was! I particularly appreciated the moment when he prayed for Saki! Honestly, I make part of those people who believe that prayers have power! Even more, I believe that sometimes, prayers are the best and most impactful thing we can do for those we love, as there are fights and problems that cannot be handled by anyone else except for those persons themselves. Therefore, I was really happy to see this idea promoted in the anime!

I too am always amazed by Kyoko and I actually share many of her values 😁! I also agree that Tooru has a resemblance to her when it comes to find the proper things to say. In this case not only that I was totally on board with her about how much we people need one another, but I was reminded of something of equal importance: how much every single gesture we make, or even thought we have, can affect the life of others, although most of the time we are, unfortunately, unaware of it!

I couldn't help thinking that Saki reached that critical moment when she wished someone to be dead only because the people around her (except for her family) continually nurtured the darkness inside her through their attitude and behavior. When she met Tooru and Arisa the effect was reversed. She gained the necessary strength and confidence to control her power and to find some peace and happiness in her soul. This is also a proof of why the Good is more powerful than the Evil. There were so many more people that acted in an ill manner toward Saki and she still resisted. But it took so much fewer so that she could heal and thrive!
KonokoAsadaJun 16, 2021 1:58 PM
"The me today will not ever make the future me to regret!"
(Emily Adachi from Air Gear: Kuro no Hane to Nemuri no Mori - Break on the Sky)

Jun 21, 2021 7:44 AM

May 2020
These Yuki fans are so annoying .-.

Also, Saki's backstory was so painful to watch so I'm glad she is happy with the others now
HelProcksJun 22, 2021 3:11 AM
Jun 28, 2021 12:48 PM

Jan 2021
Tears…!!!!!!!!
Jul 20, 2021 12:37 AM

Mar 2014
I was loving this series, but this episode is a huge letdown. Why does everyone except for the main characters are such huge douchebags? I could take it for the previous episodes, but this was just too extreme, and the conclusion was so obvious too, an entire episode dedicated to small Hanajima suffering which we knew how it was going to end. I expected more of this show after so many good episodes.
Jul 20, 2021 6:40 PM
Apr 2017
I was super invested in seeing this episode. Saki was a character I really wanted to get to know, and now that I know, her past devastates me. I couldn’t imagine going through that and having a supernatural ability at the same time. She was able to do her best because she had an amazing family and amazing friends. I’m glad she’s calm and safe now.
Jul 31, 2021 8:37 AM
Jan 2020
Full episode of Best Girl? I'm in! But seriously though, this is one of the best episodes that has come out so far. The use of lighting, little details like the shadows, and the dialogue are all crafted beautifully. Also props to Hana's VA because she's doing such a wonderful job.

I usually don't like protagonists that has generic characteristic of being overly nice. While Tohru definitely fits into that category (excessively selfless, doesn't discriminate others, saving people from their problems using their words), it's really hard for me to dislike her. In fact, she's one of the best written character in the whole show, and I think that's what makes this show so special.
Aug 5, 2021 1:08 AM

Jul 2021
this ep was really good. also good to hear Kyokos wise words.
Sep 10, 2021 1:00 AM

Jul 2015
I actually thought the whole waves thing was an act before this episode. Another emotional story, good thing Saki got a kind family who supported her through the tough bullying times and eventually met some fantastic friends.

Sep 27, 2021 3:11 AM

Jun 2019
I almost cried on this episode. This kind of confirms for me that Saki's ability is authentic. I always thought her abilities were just for the comedy of the show.

Bullying has always been a touchy subject for me. This episode shows the importance of having a good support system (family). Also, the bullying was kinda extreme in this one >:(
Nov 18, 2021 8:14 PM

Mar 2013
So, Saki really does have supernatural power, I thought it was something like "glare power" or something... Her background story really resonated within me, and I want to cry for Saki's character... That hardship and agony, the fear of hurting others. I really felt it even though I'm just an audience watching her story but despite all her hardships in the past, in the end, I'm glad she found warmth.
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Nov 29, 2021 8:14 AM

Dec 2007
pretty expected as any other of the backstories, but still depressing and interesting.
my overall problem with this "system" is the fact that it expecting you to cry for it, for every single episode. as i understood this one supposed to be in much farther in the story, and i think i understand the reason for it for exactly the reason to be emotional from time to time but not every episode. can't say though that makes me be more expected to S2 where the plot probably gonna start, hope it won't fail, lol.

the only thing this episode was missing was a kiss lol, the scene with tohru and hanajime xD
Dec 31, 2021 12:28 PM

Jan 2020
This was a genuinely incredible episode. Probably my favorite episode in the series so far which says something considering the quality of many episodes beforehand.

Hanajima is undoubtedly my favorite character and I really loved the way her story was presented here.

Jan 13, 2022 5:20 PM

Jan 2010
I watched the 2001 Fruits Basket a long, long while ago, and I watched the remake's first season when it was first released, so now I'm going through this again in preparation to watch season 2 and 3.

I don't mind how sentimental and sappy the series gets, as I understand it's the nature of Fruits Basket. However, I'm not too certain about Megumi praying to god for Saki's salvation, and getting Toru as a result. Is Toru so perfect that she's just a gift from god? Now the series is pushing it. I still enjoy Fruits Basket for being heartfelt and warm, but I don't want it to go too far.
Jan 15, 2022 6:40 PM
Jul 2020
I just wanted to start watching all the fruits basketball series. But season 1 has 2. So this one is recap from 2001 or different?
Jul 29, 2022 8:35 PM
Jun 2022
Why are the backstories of all the characters so sad?!

Saki's story was another one that devastated me. I'm so glad she found Tohru and Arisa, who love and appreciate who she is as a person, and sees her as Saki, and not "the witch".
Oct 27, 2022 7:51 PM

Apr 2022
I really like Saki, so I really enjoyed this episode!
“I won’t rely on anyone anymore. I don’t care if no one understands.” – Homura Akemi
Nov 5, 2022 9:17 PM
Jul 2017
I love how this anime actually explains the secondary characters' past. It also explains why even so the trio Hana, Uo and Tohru are so different they still are really good friends. It´s funny though how Hana is the only character in the show who doesn´t seem to have family problems lol
Oct 10, 2023 6:18 PM

Mar 2022
Man Saki really had a rough life before she had even met Arisa and Tohru there. The bullying was so intense more so than Arisa did with the gang in her origin episode and her powers really are the real deal, I never suspected them not being real but the fact that NOBODY but her family was even supportive of her at all is just saddening. It really did hit home a lot of things that happened in my past more specifically when I was 13 or 14. It’s such a tearjerker episode it really got me close to tears.

Megumi is just proving that he’s such a good brother to her sister, even when she’s struggling to control her powers he’s just that loyal to her, to the point that he connects with her. She even managed to control her powers thanks to her new friends.

So many relatable things, so many relatable characters, this show is the gift that keeps on giving to me personally.
Dec 1, 2023 7:35 PM

Nov 2023
hana chan with what she went through and understanding and knowing it Is nice
Feb 11, 5:01 PM

Aug 2022
Well, now it's confirmed that Hana-chan can indeed read minds and even curse people. Yet, this was another episode without a single Soma appearance (and, more importantly, no interactions with Yuki 😭). Still, it was an enjoyable and insightful look into the relationship Hana-chan has with her two girlfriends. But please... I'm really hoping for some romantic scenes next time 😭.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 21, 2019

128 by LuxuriousHeart »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

-Akirion- - Jun 14, 2019

123 by LuxuriousHeart »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 7, 2019

103 by LuxuriousHeart »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 24, 2019

106 by LuxuriousHeart »»
Yesterday, 6:12 AM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 17, 2019

232 by LuxuriousHeart »»
Yesterday, 5:47 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.