Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Aug 18, 2019 11:54 AM

Apr 2019
Great episode, once again...BUT
The fact that they only speak Japanese and make an interpreter translate JP to JP (for the audience view) just sound weird...Does it bother anyone else or maybe it's just me?
Aug 18, 2019 11:57 AM

Aug 2018
Very good. Very good indeed. This just keeps getting better and better! Thorfinns VA was really good. The first person POVs were really cool. The vikings running with the boats was neat. 5/5 episode, can't wait for more
I use Arch, btw.
Aug 18, 2019 12:03 PM

May 2017
pretty nice episode.. the cgi is super jarring to me but I guess it can't be helped. Loving Thorfinn's new voice.
Aug 18, 2019 12:07 PM

Sep 2017
Finally they adapted the first chapter of the manga, the action sequences were very good as always, I like the use of the CGI that seems acceptable to me, although there will always be people who complain only about that. I liked the new seiyuu for young Thorfinn, it suits him.
Aug 18, 2019 12:07 PM
Feb 2009
damn even Thorfinn is ready to storm area 51 lol but seriously another fire episode!!
Aug 18, 2019 12:09 PM
Aug 2019
Pig_on_the_knee said:
Haha. The super serial viking anime has the main character doing a Naruto/Sonic the hedgehog run. This is too much.

That didn't bother me, since super human feats of speed, strength, and agility has been a well-established aspect of the show, since the 1st episode where Thors jumps from ship to ship and cuts down like 8 men in a row like Thorfinn did this episode.

To me, the only thing that stood out this episode was the design of the fat Frankish commander since every other character has more realistic prorportions. I think there is a dramatic improvement in the mangaka's art & design choices after he switched to the seinen magazine, since he had more time to make drawing decisions before every release.

Also, I think the seriousness of this show comes from the plot and gravity of character interactions.
najumobiAug 18, 2019 12:14 PM
Aug 18, 2019 12:28 PM
Sep 2016
What a mediocre adaptation, after the first 4 episodes an absurd decline in all the animations, a mediocre direction, an almost non-existent soundtrack. I'm sorry for the manga
Aug 18, 2019 12:34 PM
Apr 2015
Farabeuf said:
Finally chapter one gets it adaptation. We get to see Thorfinn in his badass glory.

A shame that the CGI with the ships looked so poor at the end.

Ep was so good
I don't know why you don't like it
Aug 18, 2019 12:37 PM

Sep 2017
thekillfra said:
What a mediocre adaptation, after the first 4 episodes an absurd decline in all the animations, a mediocre direction, an almost non-existent soundtrack. I'm sorry for the manga

Sure boy, talk more.
Aug 18, 2019 12:39 PM
Apr 2015
thekillfra said:

You don't understand
Episode have good moments and
Anime have 24 episodes
Its impossible all episode will have high value Production
Aug 18, 2019 12:40 PM
May 2019
Wow what an fantastic action packed episode I'm looking forward to the dual.
Aug 18, 2019 12:41 PM

May 2015
Pig_on_the_knee said:
Haha. The super serial viking anime has the main character doing a Naruto/Sonic the hedgehog run. This is too much. Carrying the ships like they were made out of styrofoam was pretty funny too.

Dont forget the cartoonishly bad fat man, and that old Thorfin has basically become a whiny edgelord version of Guts. This started out interesting but is quickly becoming rather dull.
Aug 18, 2019 12:42 PM
Apr 2016
Thorfinn has grown as a real powerhouse, he was really great this episode. The duel will happen next episode it seems, very excited for it.
Aug 18, 2019 12:47 PM
Apr 2015
Mullerio_ said:
Well this was the first chapter and i still don't get why they changed it, it was a perfect beginnin to the story.

I have to admit some scenes are good directed but the CG and overall animation is getting worse and worse.

You should know diffrent between manga and anime
Its not necessary anime will follow manga by all lines
Aug 18, 2019 12:50 PM
Sep 2016
Akko_Berserk said:
thekillfra said:

Sure boy, talk more.

that crap way of running like Naruto is not in the manga, I am the first to want them to do a good adaptation since the manga is one of my favorites, and my anger rises knowing that Kimetsu (a good shonen) has been adapted into that way.
Aug 18, 2019 12:53 PM

Nov 2017
thekillfra said:

That would be Tokyo Ghoul.
Aug 18, 2019 12:53 PM

Oct 2017
Woho Thorfinn got hella bad ass in the past few years , he is so quick on his feet and his fighting moves r quick too. Also looks like Askeladd is finally gonna keep his promise soon , time for Thorfinn vs Askeladd .
Aug 18, 2019 1:02 PM
May 2019
Ok, this episode was very nice. We see that now Thorfinn is fully sunk in his hatred and revenge. He can do head-to-head battles pretty easily and his recklessness probably makes it even harder to fight against. Also, nice to see Askeladd outsmarting both sides. That's what you'd expect from them. I just wonder how Thorfinn's family is doing.
Aug 18, 2019 1:04 PM

Jan 2009
this episode is great and Thorfinn does not forget his revenge too
Aug 18, 2019 1:06 PM
Nostalgia Addict

Feb 2018

Oh titan
but yeah , its SnK studio so no problem .
Aug 18, 2019 1:07 PM

Mar 2017
That was such an epic episode but it felt so short! That part where the pirates came storming over the pass carrying the boats & Thorfinn rushing the gate alone were so amazing... like i actually got chills!

I have to say as well... Thorfinn has aged well! He is quite the eye candy haha he's almost an adult now... i think he's 16 right? He's also become a brilliant warrior but i just wish he could've grown up surrounded by love and safely as he deserved to.

Also i'm quite conflicted where Askeladd is concerned cause he's a cruel fucker who killed Thors, used a child to his advantage in battle and doesn't care about Thorfinn... but he's also so cool and charismatic!
Aug 18, 2019 1:07 PM
Jul 2019
vinland saga best episode of moment
Aug 18, 2019 1:12 PM

Mar 2018
Epic. So we get the duel next episode? Looking forward to it
As ruthless as ever and Thorfinn fights freakin badass- was interesting to see a first person view there.

I like how they did it with the foreign languages, instead of having the chars talking in some weird accent or even the foreign language itself they just speak normal japanese and 'play it' like they are speaking another language. I really disliked this in some other shows

I'm kinda interested to see how the ppl back in Thorfinn's home village are doing

“I don’t like expending more effort than I have to.” – Ayanokouji Kiyotaka
Aug 18, 2019 1:16 PM

Oct 2018
Personally I liked this episode the least so far

It wasn't bad, but not what I expected
Aug 18, 2019 1:18 PM
Jul 2019
vinland saga best episode of animation
Aug 18, 2019 1:24 PM

Jul 2013
I remember that, time ago, I saw a fanart with manly anime characters (Kamina from Gurren Lagann, Archer from Fate/stay night...) carrying some viking boats. I was wondering who would have thought such strange yet badass idea. Today I realized it was a Vinland Saga reference all along.

That French commander was absolutely ridiculous. I know comparissons are hateful, but it totally looked like a Titan from AoT.
Aug 18, 2019 1:33 PM

Aug 2019
LuizFelipeNM said:
Great episode, once again...BUT
The fact that they only speak Japanese and make an interpreter translate JP to JP (for the audience view) just sound weird...Does it bother anyone else or maybe it's just me?

Thats not whats going on, the characters are speaking different languages, so they have a translator doing it since neither of them know both.
Aug 18, 2019 1:41 PM

May 2016
This felt like a stonewalling filler episode
-
Aug 18, 2019 1:47 PM
Feb 2019
I think this episode felt a bit out of context because is chapter 1 in the manga xD.

On the other side, I liked the animation, especially the first person shots. Also, the CGI didn't look jarring to me tbh

Thorfinn new seiyuu fits well
Aug 18, 2019 1:51 PM

Nov 2016
Dat Naruto run, tho xD

Sick episode, the action and Thorfinns badassery were on point.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 18, 2019 2:17 PM

Mar 2014
I think 1st person POV shots were really cool, and Wit has been very careful of the CGI so it doesn't look sloppy at all.

Carrying the boats over the land was crazy. Askeladd is certainly having a good time lol. EvenThorfinn does the Naruto run.

I am curious as to whether Askeladd vs Thorfinn round 2 will play out in the next episode. I assume Askeladd will win, but I wonder how this duel will impact things overall.
Aug 18, 2019 2:17 PM

Nov 2010
I was half expecting them to skip this first chapter of the manga for tone consistency. This chapter looked better in the manga, in the anime some scenes looked a bit jarring. The ships looked weightless. In the manga the warriors have ropes around the ship and the close-up of their effort enhances the sense of weight of the wooden ships. Plus, it helps that the Frank leader stands to the side in the manga, instead of the rather "lol" shot of him below the ship. Plus you see shots of them struggling to get on the ship once it is in the water. The anime could have probably used some of these small details.

Don't get me wrong, the act is insane anyway, regardless of the representation. But I did prefer the way the manga showed it.
Aug 18, 2019 2:21 PM
Jul 2017
People are saying that THIS episode was the first chapter of the manga? Interesting. So they switched up some of the chapters? The order the anime is in make more sense that way I guess. So Thorfinn’s childhood was presented as I guess a flashback in the manga while that anime has it as it’s starting point.
Aug 18, 2019 2:29 PM

Mar 2019
Not a single hot animu girl in sight.
Aug 18, 2019 2:31 PM
Mar 2015
thekillfra said:

I love the so called "almost non-existent soundtrack". The clean piano soundtrack highlight the facial expressions of Thorfinn.
Aug 18, 2019 2:44 PM

Oct 2017
thekillfra said:

As a huge fan of the manga I think this has been a superb adaption so I don't know what your on about. Soundtrack is actually quite good not the best this year but one of the better ones. There are some more visual issues with the CG mainly on ships not the soldiers surprisingly (for large scale battles Vinland is one of the better ones out there in anime it's getting better with time still meh but I will take meh over terrible) but most of the visuals have been great (especially for the early chapters since Yukimura had a simpler design for the first volume so especially Askeladd's face it's actually more detailed here) The backgrounds honestly are on par if not better than the manga (because of the color) and the anime original content really added to the story.
BilboBaggins365Aug 18, 2019 2:54 PM
Aug 18, 2019 2:46 PM

Nov 2018
Phlaryx said:
People are saying that THIS episode was the first chapter of the manga? Interesting. So they switched up some of the chapters? The order the anime is in make more sense that way I guess. So Thorfinn’s childhood was presented as I guess a flashback in the manga while that anime has it as it’s starting point.

Yep, Thorfinn's childhood was presented as a flashback, this episode was when the series truly started as a shounen and last week's episode was when it switched to seinen.
Aug 18, 2019 2:47 PM
Mar 2018
Good episode, but imo probably the weakest one thus far. This is the first chapter from the manga, which doesn't include too much character exploration or plot progression, but I feel the visuals didn't compensate either. Not only was it the use of noticable CG, but I feel the artwork became a bit more flat this episode and color design was a bit uninspired. There were some creative shots tho.

Still a great episode, but I hope the visuals won't get worse from now on. A man can hope, right?
Aug 18, 2019 2:48 PM

Jul 2009
The way Askeladd's boys just carried their ships towards the fort was nothing short of badass. The most ballsy group of Vikings I've ever seen. Askeladd's laugh also felt so hearty. Thorfinn's Naruto run caught me by surprise though lol.

Wonder if the time will come when Askeladd will take Thorfinn seriously.
Aug 18, 2019 2:49 PM

Nov 2018
Lord_Dracule said:
Good episode, but imo probably the weakest one thus far. This is the first chapter from the manga, which doesn't include too much character exploration or plot progression, but I feel the visuals didn't compensate either. Not only was it the use of noticable CG, but I feel the artwork became a bit more flat this episode and color design was a bit uninspired. There were some creative shots tho.

Still a great episode, but I hope the visuals won't get worse from now on. A man can hope, right?

This wasnt an important episode at all, soo its safe to say they just didnt go over the top with it to save the budget for more important battles that will happen later.
Aug 18, 2019 2:52 PM
Mar 2018
Tougen said:
Lord_Dracule said:

This wasnt an important episode at all, soo its safe to say they just didnt go over the top with it to save the budget for more important battles that will happen later.

I hope this is the case. I assume the last portion of the episodes will be great, but I still wonder about the middle.
Aug 18, 2019 2:56 PM

Aug 2015
Nice episode, the first person scene was cool.
Aug 18, 2019 3:04 PM

Mar 2019
I see people saying Askeladd will become the primary character for a while so I propose the alternative title "Askeladd and His Rape Ladds". The double D-s in "Askeladd" and "ladds" can be capitalized and stylized to look like boobs somehow. It's a pretty great idea, if I say so myself.

And I even found some fitting piano music for future scenes featuring Thorfinn. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJyNh4iTKS4
Pig_on_the_kneeAug 18, 2019 3:18 PM
Aug 18, 2019 3:05 PM

Mar 2015
Sprinting while carrying a ship.. nice.
Looking forward to how the Askeladd & Thorfinn dynamic will develop as I don’t think he’ll just grant him a duel that easy and keep using him.
Ah the episode sure felt short :(
Aug 18, 2019 3:22 PM

Apr 2009
Really enjoyed Floki's conversation with the King.

Otherwise, good adaption with a few slight animation hickups.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Aug 18, 2019 3:26 PM
Sep 2016

take the first 4 episodes, and compare them with the last two, if this had been the first episode (as it should have been), there would not be all these people defending the technical part. And they also changed dialogues, that quote on "all those people I killed in these years bla bla bla" is stupid because this is not their first duel.
Aug 18, 2019 3:29 PM
Jul 2014
Its quite jaring to have just imagine thorfinn is speaking norse and the frog nobleman guy is speaking frankish and can't understand each other even though they both are in fact speaking japanese
Aug 18, 2019 3:44 PM
Jul 2019
Enjoyable episod đź’–
Aug 18, 2019 3:44 PM

Sep 2017
Certainly didn't think we'd see ships being carried over land like that. It sure worked great. Thorfinn is super stronk. I feel we will probably get a duel next episode. Seems unlikely he'd let that slide.
Aug 18, 2019 4:00 PM

Sep 2017
good episode. looking forward to more action!
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Vinland Saga has an amazing plot... ( 1 2 )

Sanjay63773 - Feb 21

55 by peterross »»
56 minutes ago

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 6, 2019

404 by bronzeagesungod »»
May 6, 4:44 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

797 by ItachiSanStatus »»
Apr 29, 4:05 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2019

256 by OrganikPatates »»
Apr 28, 8:34 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2019

392 by joelius__0 »»
Apr 26, 1:16 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.