Forum Settings
Forums

What's The Single Best FIRST Episode You Have Seen in Anime?

New
Aug 17, 2019 12:26 PM

Sep 2018
I was honestly just thinking about this today and, as many anime as I have seen, I really couldn't come up with an answer.

Even my favorite anime of all time, Steins;Gate, while it has an amazing first episode, it's only amazing once you watch the whole series and actually realize what was happening during that episode. Needless to say, my first time watching the show I was seriously confused.

That being said, I propose my question:

Which Anime, as a FIRST TIME VIEWER (not going back and rewatching like me and Steins;Gate) had the best "First Episode" in your opinion?

Excited to hear your thoughts and opinions!
Blanks.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 17, 2019 12:27 PM

Jan 2009
GaRei Zero just because of the very good shock factor
Aug 17, 2019 12:35 PM

Mar 2015
Generic answer but Attack on Titan's first episode was so good.

Honorable mention to Aldnoah.Zero, the ending of the first episode is just way too epic. Too bad it only goes downhill from there lol
Aug 17, 2019 12:36 PM

Jul 2014
Mayoiga, it is great both on first watch and rewatch.
It is able to present so much information in a very short time without breaking immersion.
Aug 17, 2019 12:37 PM
Jul 2018
First episode I watched of the first season Mo dao zu shi left me breathless. It felt like I was watching a movie.
Aug 17, 2019 12:39 PM

Jul 2015
maybe gurren lagann. the shot at the end where they burst out of the ground and see the surface world for the first time is so iconic
Aug 17, 2019 12:39 PM
Jul 2013
This may be due to recency bias, but I really enjoyed the first episode of The Promised Neverland. It starts off with such a slice of life tone and out of nowhere comes this existential dread that really makes you sympathetic to the protagonist's motivation of wanting to escape.
Aug 17, 2019 12:48 PM

Feb 2018
BallisticRiot said:
I was honestly just thinking about this today and, as many anime as I have seen, I really couldn't come up with an answer.

Even my favorite anime of all time, Steins;Gate, while it has an amazing first episode, it's only amazing once you watch the whole series and actually realize what was happening during that episode. Needless to say, my first time watching the show I was seriously confused.

That being said, I propose my question:

Which Anime, as a FIRST TIME VIEWER (not going back and rewatching like me and Steins;Gate) had the best "First Episode" in your opinion?

Excited to hear your thoughts and opinions!

Of course The Promised Neverland. Both first chapter of manga and first episode of anime are the best experience i have gotten from animanga.
Aug 17, 2019 12:49 PM

Apr 2018
San-Gatsu no Lion by a pretty long shot
Aug 17, 2019 12:50 PM

Mar 2016
Berserk 1997 first episode so brutal, so haunting, bone chilling definitely the best first anime episode I've ever seen.
Aug 17, 2019 12:51 PM

Sep 2014
Kill la Kill by a mile, to me.

Lol, the very opening scene is fucking amazing. I knew I loved the show after a minute of it.
Aug 17, 2019 12:52 PM

Jul 2019
Even on first watch, I think Steins;gate first episode was really good.
Another good first episode was from Eureka 7, I started it a month ago and the first episode really caught my attention.

Honorable mentions: Code Geass, Cowboy Bebop, GTO, Haikyuu!! and Psycho Pass.
Aug 17, 2019 12:52 PM

Aug 2016
Dusk Maiden comes to mind for me. I really liked how it split the episode up between two different perspectives, of ones who could see the ghost and those who couldnt
Aug 17, 2019 12:56 PM

Jun 2015
I think the best first episode I've ever watched, technically speaking, was Death Note's. It perfectly sets the tone for the show, manages to establish the MC's personality, goals and motivations, showcases his powers and the internal conflict from using them, and ends by foreshadowing his eventual downfall, all in 24 minutes and without it feeling rushed. It's a masterpiece in itself. Most anime first episodes barely manage to do one of those things.
AnotherGuyAug 17, 2019 1:02 PM
Aug 17, 2019 1:06 PM

Jan 2016
Star Driver is one; sad that the story didn’t conclude in gratifying way (typical BONES).
▾ Check Out My Original Series ▾

▾ Check Out My Blog ▾
Aug 17, 2019 1:12 PM

Apr 2017
One that immediately comes to mind is Gakkougurashi
loved that cliffhanger.
Israel_Is_EvilAug 17, 2019 1:16 PM

Aug 17, 2019 1:54 PM

Nov 2015
Mirai said:
Generic answer but Attack on Titan's first episode was so good.
angelk99 said:
Attack on titan. I loved everything about it

Yeah, as a new anime fan, Attack on Titan was my first anime. The strength of that first episode, combined with the novel of never having seen animation done like that before made it an instant hook for me.
Aug 17, 2019 1:56 PM

Aug 2014
Made in abyss, and it's not even close.
Aug 17, 2019 1:57 PM

Nov 2011
Gakkougurashi/School-Live is probably up there, with the twist at the end of the episode.

It's the most memorable one that I can think of at the moment. I actually can't remember the first episode distinctly from others with a lot of shows that I have watched.
Aug 17, 2019 2:00 PM

Nov 2014
ugmon said:
GaRei Zero just because of the very good shock factor
Oh yes.
Imaishi said:
Kill la Kill by a mile, to me.

Lol, the very opening scene is fucking amazing. I knew I loved the show after a minute of it.
The first five or ten minutes actually were amazing.

Following it Ergo Proxy, Code Geass, Elfen Lied, 91 Days, Baccano!, Paranoia Agent, Blood+ and Cowboy Bebop all of them have great first episodes.
Aug 17, 2019 2:59 PM

Jul 2019
Kill la Kill. I had no idea what to expect but I was hooked from the start.
Aug 17, 2019 3:25 PM
Jul 2018
Aside from the obvious Attack on Titan, I'd say Zankyou no Terror, it was lit
Aug 17, 2019 3:27 PM

Jun 2013
Haibane Renmei for me. There's so much about the episode to grab on to and get curious about, like Rakka's monologue as she's falling, the wing scene, the coccoon stuff, but to me the most striking part was always that first shot of Reki walking down a corridor, halo above her head, wings on her back, and she's smoking a cigarette. That one scene coupled with the earthy colour palette immediately hooked me and had me wondering about the setting, just because of that cigarette, it causes such a wonderful dissonance with the angelic character design.
Aug 17, 2019 3:31 PM

Jul 2017
I'd say Code Geass. The episode hooked me instantly and I binged the whole thing in 2 days after that
Once you realize that what others think about what you enjoy doesn't matter, you will finally be free

Aug 17, 2019 3:49 PM

Mar 2016
BallisticRiot said:

I stopped watching steins gate after 4 episodes cause i wasnt in mood to watch any anime at that time. Reading this want to watch this and pay hard attention to first episode because like you, i also didnt understand what was happpening.

As of topic: For me best first episodes are were something tragic happens. Like in Attack on Titan, Promised Neverland, Demon slayer
Aug 17, 2019 3:58 PM
Apr 2017
Good question. SNK definitely stood out, boku dake ga had a pretty good episode too IIRC.

Made in abyss was amazing. The first episode was better than the anime ended up being, at least to me.
"The problem with defining even an aspect of your personality by something that you like, is that criticism of that product appears to you to be criticism of you personally. I find it to be a very harmful attitude, [...] you can't rationally discuss a product because you've started to define yourself by its very existence."

John Bain
Aug 17, 2019 4:09 PM

Apr 2019
Re:zero Starting Life in Another World from Zero
I jus loved every moment of it

Aug 17, 2019 4:13 PM

Jan 2018
Probably Ping Pong the Animation. It was so good that I didn't get up until I was finished with the entire series.

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Aug 17, 2019 4:14 PM

Feb 2010
That's a good question but I don't think I can really answer it. For a lot of my favorites I don't remember the 1st episode being particularly standout, and in general I don't pay too much attention to which episodes blow me away because when they do I just keep binging and remember the story as a whole and not as individual, numbered segments. Especially if I don't watch them weekly.

Some of the first episodes that I do remember leaving an impact are the original FMA and Tokyo Ghoul S1, but I'm 100% sure I'm forgetting a ton of great ones, especially from less action heavy shows where the impact is subtler.

There are some others which were good at getting the hook in storywise, like Attack on Titan, Code Geass or Death Note, but that's mostly because of they set up the story in my opinion.
I probably regret this post by now.
Aug 17, 2019 4:22 PM

Jul 2019
Gakkougurashi, probably the anime i would choose.
Aug 17, 2019 4:26 PM

Apr 2016
SAO. I had watched a lot of anime but its first episode was amazing for me, no other episode had given me a similar impression, I loved everything in that episode. I remember that after it ends, I re-watched it istantly.
Aug 17, 2019 4:33 PM

Jan 2016
Made in Abyss instantly grabbed me with it's first episode with the world and intrigue it set up

Osomatsu-san had one of the single funniest first episodes of all time, shame they decided to remove it from the official episode list

The twist at the end of School-Live is just fantastic and makes it one of the best opening episodes to rewatch

Whatever you think of Erased, that was a damn good hook you in first episode

And shoutout to Chihayafuru which while I can't say episode 1 by itself is necessarily in the running (although still fantastic), when you take the first 3 episodes as a whole it's one of the best prologues to an anime ever.
You have shit taste, and then I have taste so shit it makes your taste look good
Aug 17, 2019 4:36 PM

Dec 2016
Death Note first episode was so good with the thriller and the introduction of the main character/villain.
한 번만 살지만 제대로 하면 한 번이면 충분해요
Aug 17, 2019 4:39 PM
Sep 2014
made in abyss. I knew instinctively even from the first five minuets that this is something special, and I was not mistaken. So much happened in that first episode, and the art, animation, MUSIC by Kevin Penkin... unique, beautiful and with a real sense of danger, adventure and awe. definitely the best, can't think of anything close to it. If you haven't already, go watch that show!
SpiraloreAug 17, 2019 4:48 PM
Aug 17, 2019 4:40 PM

Apr 2011
Mine would be The Promised Neverland.

Aug 17, 2019 5:46 PM
Mar 2016
Cross Game, ngl it had me emotional even tho I didn't know the characters
Attack on Titan
Aug 17, 2019 5:47 PM

Oct 2008
I honestly don't know, but will start thinking about it now.
That being said I do have a favorite episode, not necessarily the 1st ep of an anime. I will check my custom list and get back to you.
Aug 17, 2019 5:52 PM
Mar 2018
Samurai Champloo probably has my favorite first epiosde. Right out of the gate, it shows everything it has to offer, and in a good way too. It introduces our 3 main protags, has some great action scenes, showcases some great directing techniques, and then it manages to achieve a lot of things in just 22 minutes without overwhelming the viewer.
Honorable Mention to Maison Ikkoku as well. While I think Maison Ikkoku's first episode is better at setting the blocks in place for what's to come later on in the series than as an actual episode itself, the first episode itself still does a good job at showcasing what it has to offer and being an entertaining watch.
Aug 17, 2019 6:00 PM
Demon Venerable

Apr 2018
I dont really remember most of them, but m 100% sure that "Made in Abyss" has one of the greatest first episodes ever. I was blown away when I heard "Underground River" at the opening credits, it was like the beggining of a great movie. Epic!
Aug 17, 2019 6:09 PM

May 2015
Probably Death Note. It's a perfect example of a show being immediately gripping and exciting. The line from Light at the end and the background music playing when he says it always gives me chills: "And I, will become the god of this new world."

Aug 17, 2019 6:17 PM

Sep 2018
Haibane renmei and Texhnolyze for me.
Aug 17, 2019 6:25 PM

Apr 2016
Might be goblin slayer tbh (might get some hate for this one)
Aug 17, 2019 6:34 PM

Feb 2019
Zetsuen no Tempest's first episode was flawless in terms of establishing character, tone, conflict, and theme.

Even though it was quite an info-dump, Fate/Zero's first episode really set the tone for the series.
LunaEstlinAug 18, 2019 12:12 AM

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

Aug 17, 2019 6:36 PM
News Team
Demon Spawn

Apr 2017
Generic response but Attack on Titan had me hooked from the very beginning.

Less generic response is Mo Dao Zu Shi. The first few frames of CG had me so apprehensive cause they were pretty terrible, but everything afterward had me hooked
Aug 17, 2019 8:35 PM

Nov 2018
Black Lagoon has an amazing first ep if I remember correctly. Really sells you on the show right off the bat.
Aug 17, 2019 8:43 PM

May 2018
This was tough, I think back and its always the second or third episode that established things enough for me to be fully engaged so.... i think the ones ive looked at are more visually significant rather than me being interested in the story.
3 gatsu no lion had an amazing first episode that roped me in ASAP, the intro did a good job of showing the heaviness of the MC's emotions. that in contrast with the warmth of the sisters. i was rezaly excited to see the story unfold.
Mob psycho 100 also, the animation was so nice and the art was very new to me so i kept wanting to see like this interesting style i had never experienced

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* 愛してる *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Aug 17, 2019 8:53 PM

Jul 2007
Madoka Magica and Mahou Shoujo Site
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Aug 17, 2019 9:26 PM

Apr 2011
Shingeki had a very good first episode. Shame that everything that came after it failed to live up to it. Ridiculously common occurrence, this. SAO is another one that had a good first episode and then everything else was shit. Naruto had a better first episode than a vast majority of it's remaining episodes.

Yakusoku no Neverland had an almost perfect first episode. Absolutely brilliant. I'd say the same for Death Note if it were not for the fact that the second episode completely shits on the first episode.

As for the best first episode I've ever seen in an anime, I'm gonna give that to my original, my first anime episode ever watched: Code Geass R2 (yes, the first anime I watched was the second season of an anime, sue me). The way it just kept building up until it finally broke, so good.
Aug 18, 2019 3:45 AM

Oct 2018
Maybe Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari's first episode was the best I've seen
Aug 18, 2019 4:00 AM
Aug 2017
Can't decide the best but some really good ones (acc. To me) are

Made in abyss (best fantasy in recent years)
Attack on Titan ( no need to explain)
Naruto ( might be a lil biased here)
Shield hero (best ep of the whole series sadly, rest of the series is a letdown)
Promised Neverland
Bunny girl

Edit: how TF o forgot death note.
While we are here let's add psycho pass, and guilty crown ( just coz of the song, man had my hopes way too high after the 1st ep)
Monarch9Aug 18, 2019 4:03 AM
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - Yesterday

37 by Bandulf »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - 51 minutes ago

11 by bevarnow »»
5 minutes ago

» Do you have any favorite opening or ending animations?

RobertBobert - 3 hours ago

10 by Daviljoe193 »»
9 minutes ago

» Is watching a show for the cute girl weird?

fallout45 - Yesterday

25 by xthewarwithinx »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 9 hours ago

37 by Bandulf »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.