Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 15, 2019 1:44 PM

May 2015
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
We learned a bit more about Mafuyu's past and Uenoyama is jealous, huh. I wonder how the lyrics will turn out in the end.
Aug 15, 2019 1:50 PM
Aug 2018
Im so excited for the other episodes to come AAAAJDNDUDHR when akihiko thought abt the feeling he got from his bf he realised that uenoyama likes mafuyu eye-😭
Aug 15, 2019 1:55 PM
Jul 2018
I teared up a bit in the end. Reminded me of when I read the manga and because I know the story, it had more impact.

Lmao at Ritsu calling Mafuyu his son. Next episode is going to have one of the funniest talks I have seen in manga. Glad my boy Ugetsu will appear more
Aug 15, 2019 2:00 PM
Jan 2018
beminim said:
I teared up a bit in the end. Reminded me of when I read the manga and because I know the story, it had more impact.

Lmao at Ritsu calling Mafuyu his son. Next episode is going to have one of the funniest talks I have seen in manga. Glad my boy Ugetsu will appear more

Jeeezzz me too :( I've read the manga just a few days ago and the episode had more impact to me because I now know what's gonna happen :( And my hunch was right that today's episode will end on that part. Sigh.....looking at the preview makes my heart all teared up
Aug 15, 2019 2:35 PM
Jul 2018
zasshuu said:
beminim said:

Jeeezzz me too :( I've read the manga just a few days ago and the episode had more impact to me because I now know what's gonna happen :( And my hunch was right that today's episode will end on that part. Sigh.....looking at the preview makes my heart all teared up
yeah, when I watched the preview last week I had a feeling it would end like this episode too. I mean they are just focusing on Mafuyu and Ritsuka this season so i guess there is not much content and they have to add stuff in to slow the pace. I think it works though, I like slow burn.
I have a hunch that the song they will play in the concert is not the one from the ending. The tune Ritsuka plays doesn't match and judging by what the lyrics say, it doesn't seem like it is either.
Aug 15, 2019 2:36 PM

Mar 2014
Another great episode, seems like Ritsuka is jealous, Mafuyu is thinking of his past love, and Haruki and Akihiko are still being adorable as usual.

I can't wait to see the lyrics Mafuyu will write, I'm sure they'll be really touching. My boy Ritsuka will probably be jealous but I guess they're gonna have a conversation sometime soon.

Maybe we'll see Akihiko's bf next? Akihiko must really like him if he feels the same way when he saw him play the violin as Ritsuka does. I just realized that he plays the violin, just like Akihiko does.

Ahhhh I really wanna start reading the manga this anime is getting better with every episode, but it's so much fun not knowing what's going to happen. The temptation is real T_T
Aug 15, 2019 2:47 PM

Apr 2009
Another good episode. I'm going to be sad when this anime is over :( I would love for this to have a second season. I'll most likely pick up the manga when the anime is over.
Aug 15, 2019 2:57 PM

Nov 2008
This show just keeps being everything I could've possibly wanted. It's like the universe is rewarding me for all that bad BL I've sat through.
Aug 15, 2019 3:03 PM

Jun 2019
I think this is the most peaceful episode and I love calm, but I wanted more drama!!!
Aug 15, 2019 3:14 PM

Mar 2017
Awwww, Uecchi is starting to realise that he has feelings for Mufuyu ❤

I really love Mafuyu's character; he has such a beautiful soul and he's innocent in a way that most 16 year olds aren't. Uenoyama is a great match for him too because he's so patient, caring and compassionate... everything that Mafuyu needs.

I'm so excited that the manga is being translated into English cause i for sure wanna read it!
Aug 15, 2019 3:19 PM

Jul 2019
Mafuyu was so resolute this episode. Visiting all these places he probably faced his past. Now Ritsuka is the one who is feeling left out. Wow! Its amazing to see how little happened this episode and yet things have moved quite a bit forward.

Also wasn't it intriguing to see that Akihiko was better at reading the situation than Haruki? And then Haruki basically got schooled by Mafuyu. I almost felt sorry for him
Aug 15, 2019 3:52 PM

Apr 2012
Was expecting a drama implosion after last week's build-up, but everything kept going on its own pace, which definitely suits this anime better.
Aug 15, 2019 4:00 PM

Sep 2011
"The last part was unnecessary." At least she could realize this, but it all was uncalled for. This was something that Mafuyu would have told Uenoyama about when he felt ready. It's his history, and not something that a third-party should use like this. But maybe this was for the best, the gears are turning even faster now! Mafuyu and Yuki were childhood friends, and going by what Hiiragi said their parents were supportive of them. This makes me even more curious about what happened to Yuki. He apparently "had it all", why would he leave Mafuyu and everything else behind?

Uenoyama was struggling about how he feels about Mafuyu right now too. Even now he can't understand the way his voice makes him feel. I thought that it was one amazing coincidence that it's a similar feeling to what that guy makes Kaji feel with his violin. I can't wait to learn more about him in the next episode. Uenoyama is on the right track since he wants to be like Kaji though. lol And I loved the way he got all emotional when Kaji said that he had added his drums to their song, and that Haruki would add his bass later. And I love that they decided that Mafuyu should be the one to write the lyrics. This is going to help him express what he is feeling, and at the same time make him a part of the process. This is truly going to be an amazing song made by all of them. And I love that Haruki and Kaji were supporting Uenoyama in the background when he said "I want to play along with your lyrics." XD

It pained me to see Mafuyu wandering "aimlessly" though. I suppose those were places full of memories of the days he spent with the one he loved and is no more. Like he was trying to grasp something so he could write. I was also impressed that Haruki said the "worst/best" thing he could have said too. About writing about a past relationship. This may help Mafuyu find closure and move on. What he asked Haruki hurt though, about how he would feel if the person he loves disappeared. No wonder he couldn't find the words, and no wonder that Mafuyu is still lost. But he gave the first step and told Uenoyama about the person he loved, and this, in turn, made Uenoyama realize that what he was feeling, at least in part, was jealousy and I screamed internally. This one is going to kill me.
Aug 15, 2019 4:03 PM
Mar 2019
A very visually pleasing episode and probably the strongest narrative yet. The pace is really starting to pick up and fall into place quite nicely but still lacks thematic diversity. Simply put it is a discussion on self discovery and how relationships shape the human condition. It is natural and believable that Mafuyu has trouble knowing how to express his feelings when they were so suddenly ripped away from him.
I still strongly believe this series could have reached the next level if it wasn't so obvious with its push to feed the yaoi market. Regardless if the relationships were homosexual or not, the narrative could focus more on escapism and what drives each of the band members to improve and put their emotion into their music rather than simply making the band a convenient way to interweave plot points.
Seriously; I'd be saying the same thing if it was a yuri. I have no bias in my opinion of the narrative
KidLeafAug 15, 2019 4:22 PM
Aug 15, 2019 4:43 PM
Nov 2013
LeafJonin said:
A very visually pleasing episode and probably the strongest narrative yet. The pace is really starting to pick up and fall into place quite nicely but still lacks thematic diversity. Simply put it is a discussion on self discovery and how relationships shape the human condition. It is natural and believable that Mafuyu has trouble knowing how to express his feelings when they were so suddenly ripped away from him.
I still strongly believe this series could have reached the next level if it wasn't so obvious with its push to feed the yaoi market. Regardless if the relationships were homosexual or not, the narrative could focus more on escapism and what drives each of the band members to improve and put their emotion into their music rather than simply making the band a convenient way to interweave plot points.
Seriously; I'd be saying the same thing if it was a yuri. I have no bias in my opinion of the narrative
idk this doesn't make sense to me, i don't watch bl anime really and i find the way they're handling romance is about as same and extra as it is in any hetero romance anime
Aug 15, 2019 5:06 PM
Jul 2018
LeafJonin said:
It is not trying to push the yaoi market, it is adapted from a BL manga. It is already in the yaoi/bl market.

The self discovery is a process that even in the most recent chapters is taking place. As the episodes go along more is revealed but Mafuyu completely healing from his past is impossible in this season as in the manga he is still improving himself and learning to let go. Same goes from the other band members, it won't happen this season but in the manga they definitely grew and found why they love their music.
Aug 15, 2019 5:18 PM
Jul 2019
LeafJonin said:
I still strongly believe this series could have reached the next level if it wasn't so obvious with its push to feed the yaoi market.

This is the least yaoi-y gay romance I've come across, so I don't follow. It's a romance anime with a music theme, not a music anime with a romance sub-plot, and it's doing a very good job at building the relationships and sexual tension like a romance should.
Aug 15, 2019 5:56 PM

Oct 2017
Keirik said:
This show just keeps being everything I could've possibly wanted. It's like the universe is rewarding me for all that bad BL I've sat through.

This is my first BL so Im glad I didn't watch those bad ones.
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Aug 15, 2019 6:53 PM

Jan 2013
I'm more interested in the side couple then the main one honestly. Well, next week we get to see kaji's roommate/boyfriend again!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 15, 2019 6:54 PM

Sep 2017
Did not disappoint. The drama was handled really well. A very sort of peaceful episode. Looking forward to hearing the lyrics. Also surprised that Uenoyama was feeling jealousy at the end there.
Aug 15, 2019 6:58 PM
May 2019
This episode had it all, and I really enjoyed it. Haruki and Aki are always funny. And we got to find out more about Mafuyu, his feelings, and some childhood friends. He was also accepted by Yuki's parents, which is cool.
Best part is Uenoyama realizing his feelings for Mafuyu at the end there - oooooooh! I'm excited for the next episode lol
Aug 15, 2019 7:03 PM
May 2017
it was so cute when Ritsuka is jealous of Mafuyu, and another couple was adorable, i want to see more things of them and I'm so exciting for next episode ><
Aug 15, 2019 7:29 PM

Oct 2015
Drama is really starting to kick in! I can't for Sato to tell us the full story of the incident with Yuki. Uenoyama should just suck it up and face the road ahead and stop the jealous vibes.

More importantly I'm really hyped about the song, I bet it will contain more soul.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Aug 15, 2019 9:01 PM
Mar 2015
Glad mayfu went back to the places he went with his lover and realized he has something to say. Our boy realized that he is jealous of Mayfu's feelings for his dead lover
Aug 15, 2019 9:07 PM
Apr 2018
This show is wonderful. That's all I can think to say.
Aug 15, 2019 9:24 PM

Mar 2018
Somehow Mafuyu is giving me killer vibes this ep idk why
That part where Akihiko laughed in the beginning 'killed' me too lol

“I don’t like expending more effort than I have to.” – Ayanokouji Kiyotaka
Aug 15, 2019 9:49 PM

Dec 2018
Seems like every episode of this is just a masterpiece! Easily my anime of the season so far. MDZS better catch up.

But I have a question, did anyone else notice that Akihiko's laptop is in English script? Is this a normal thing in Japan? I just found it very jarring to see all the English letters. I guess I've never noticed laptops/ keyboards in anime before. Can someone enlighten me please.
Aug 15, 2019 10:09 PM

Jul 2019
Ritsuka feeling jealous, it can only mean one thing... LOVE. I swear this series keeps on getting better and better.
Aug 15, 2019 10:27 PM

Feb 2014
We're already half way in and there's still no vocal from Mafuyu. UGHHHHH
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Aug 15, 2019 11:27 PM

Jul 2016
From being a dull character to a pretty interesting one. Honestly, I'm really enjoying the development Mafuyu is having so far. Definitely liking how natural it feels as well.

Despite the sad/dark revelation from the previous one, this episode still managed to be as soothing as always. Really impressed by this series so far.

Looking forward to the next episode!
Aug 16, 2019 12:11 AM
Jan 2019
this episode is very dark I want to cry but for some reason I can't because of mix emotion giving me

that Hiiragi giving me different though of him what he really is is amuse me

our main character smile it's like emotionless that you can see different world's of emptiness

I hardly believe Uenoyama said that in the end

that violin guy I wonder what event might happen when he appeared
I really want to read the manga but I love anime so I need to wait until it ends
Aug 16, 2019 12:54 AM

Jul 2017
Oh my Lord, let the BL commence...with conflicting emotions!

Uenoyama getting the affirmation that Mafuyu is getting more ground...but putting that into the music language still is a behemoth task ahead. Meanwhile, Haruki being Haruki, still is oblivious to the whole issue between them both plus Akihiko. Some strong feelings and emotions there...plus jealousy on his past love.

There's still a hella lot to question about Mafuyu and his notions...despite the revelations about him and his lifeless state.

Now I really want to know the whole story and what's going on the future.
Aug 16, 2019 2:23 AM

Apr 2018
Wow. I was not expecting that honestly. I didn't think Ritsuka would feel jealous so early. I thought he would just be a little afraid and confused about Mafuyu's past and didn't know how to speak about it. Classical things.
The way he realized he was jealous was a very strong scene. That kind of feelings developement is so rare in BL's.

Definitively the anime of the season.
Aug 16, 2019 5:22 AM
Feb 2018
It hurt to see mafuyu smile so emotionless...(╥_╥)

Everything make sense to me little by little, i like they did rush a thing. Very smooth like a jello i eat right now.

I really like uenoyama's friends, they seem funny and good boy. Glad that mafuyu know them.

I glad that girl tell uenoyama about mafuyu past, even it inappropriate to hear that from third-party. So uenoyama can think more about his feeling and... JEALOUS!!! YEAAAHHH IAM SCREAMING!!!
Ran_RaihanAug 16, 2019 5:38 AM
Aug 16, 2019 5:27 AM
Sep 2015
I think every guys in Given are gay.
All four main characters.
Mafuyu's friend from previous school Kagashima received a pat on his head by his bandmate Shizusumi (which is also Mafuyu's friend).
And Uenoyama classmates that love to play with each other are definitely in sports anime gay level.
Aug 16, 2019 6:33 AM
Apr 2016
phantomfandom said:
Mafuyu's friend from previous school Kagashima received a pat on his head by his bandmate Shizusumi (which is also Mafuyu's friend).
And Uenoyama classmates that love to play with each other are definitely in sports anime gay level.

I think Akihiko (and maybe Haruki?) are bisexual.
Aug 16, 2019 7:46 AM
Jul 2018
Tsukizono said:
phantomfandom said:

first of all, your icon is great.

Kaji and Haruki are both bi, Mafuyu is gay, Ritsuka is pansexual, and Mafuyu and ritsuka's friends have not had any deep interactions so far in the manga so I am Not sure
Aug 16, 2019 8:12 AM
Apr 2016
beminim said:
Tsukizono said:

Kaji and Haruki are both bi, Mafuyu is gay, Ritsuka is pansexual, and Mafuyu and ritsuka's friends have not had any deep interactions so far in the manga so I am Not sure

Thanks! Could you show me the pages where they confirm/imply this? I read the manga so I'm fine with spoilers.
Aug 16, 2019 8:26 AM
Jul 2018
Tsukizono said:
beminim said:

Thanks! Could you show me the pages where they confirm/imply this? I read the manga so I'm fine with spoilers.
as for kaji and Haruki, chapters 15, 18 and 19 heavily imply that they go either way.

For Mafuyu, I'm only taking in the fact that he dated a guy before, and then fell for another one.

Ritsu is tricky but he seems to be pansexual because he was attracted to Mafuyu not by him being a guy but because what his singing made him feel
Aug 16, 2019 8:44 AM
Apr 2016
beminim said:
Tsukizono said:

as for kaji and Haruki, chapters 15, 18 and 19 heavily imply that they go either way.

For Mafuyu, I'm only taking in the fact that he dated a guy before, and then fell for another one.

Ritsu is tricky but he seems to be pansexual because he was attracted to Mafuyu not by him being a guy but because what his singing made him feel

Thanks again. Yeah the chapters definitely confirm that Kaji and Haruki are bisexual.
Aug 16, 2019 8:49 AM
Jul 2018
Tsukizono said:
beminim said:

Thanks again. Yeah the chapters definitely confirm that Kaji and Haruki are bisexual.
yeah, pretty much.

Honestly I wish this anime would get a second season because it is adapted from a good manga, but one of the scenes from those chapters I really don't want animated. Could scare potential fans from continuing even though nothing happened....
Aug 16, 2019 8:56 AM
Sep 2015
beminim said:

I think pansexual is too broad, but even if I'm being specific I wouldn't say Ritsu is heteroflexibility because...
Ritsu is into Akihiko Kaji's muscularity a lot (I think Kaji's the reason Ritsu join the band) so his spectrum is likely to tend toward gay.
Also about Haruki, I'm not read the manga (but unfortunately spoiled in some part thatnks to twitter) but I think even if he self-identify as bi, his thoughts are all crazy about Kaji (lucky we can hear his thoughts otherwise we'll never know), so I think he tend toward gay as well.
Though I'll not discuss into Kaji at this point other than I think he's also gay as well.
Aug 16, 2019 9:05 AM
Jul 2018
phantomfandom said:
beminim said:

I think pansexual is too broad, but even if I'm being specific I wouldn't say Ritsu is heteroflexibility because...
Ritsu is into Akihiko Kaji's muscularity a lot (I think Kaji's the reason Ritsu join the band) so his spectrum is likely to tend toward gay.
Also about Haruki, I'm not read the manga (but unfortunately spoiled in some part thatnks to twitter) but I think even if he self-identify as bi, his thoughts are all crazy about Kaji (lucky we can hear his thoughts otherwise we'll never know), so I think he tend toward gay as well.
Though I'll not discuss into Kaji at this point other than I think he's also gay as well.

Well we won't ever be fully sure because the manga doesn't state it so I am only guessing. In the manga they do say that Ritsu is just not affected by women because he has an older sister. Now that I think about it, he probably doesn't even need a label, he only likes Mafuyu because of who he is I guess. I am so sorry that you got spoiled... I avoid going on Twitter or Tumblr before I read or watch anything because I hate knowing what happens haha...

Even if they all end up dating another man doesn't make them gay though. Just like if a bit man ends up dating a woman doesn't mean he is straight. I have dated men but in the end that never made me straight so yeah...
Aug 16, 2019 9:12 AM
Sep 2015
beminim said:

Even if they all end up dating another man doesn't make them gay though. Just like if a bit man ends up dating a woman doesn't mean he is straight. I have dated men but in the end that never made me straight so yeah...

I think we can be bravely declaring subjective view in fiction work. In real life I'd only be allowed to objectively describe them as men who has sex with men (I hope so, at some point).
Aug 16, 2019 9:15 AM
Jul 2018
phantomfandom said:
beminim said:

I think we can be bravely declaring subjective view in fiction work. In real life I'd only be allowed to objectively describe them as men who has sex with men (I hope so, at some point).
I am sorry if I dissapoint you but this manga doesn't have sexy times and it has 28 chapters already, so the anime probably won't have it either.... I am not sure if I'm glad or not about it haha

Maybe it is best because it can appeal to a bigger audience I guess
Aug 16, 2019 4:04 PM

Jun 2007
damn mafuyu really needs closure...
and again i feel bad for haruki and kinda scared of a possible revelation to him that aki's living with a guy. i think i'm projecting or smth!!
smh
can't wait for the next ep....
see you, space cowperson . . .
Aug 16, 2019 9:20 PM
May 2016
The directing is SOOO on point. I love how effective the more quiet, poignant scenes are at bringing out those emotions in the viewer.

The opening and ending scenes do this particularly well by using jarring camera angles and complete absence of a background track. In other shows, far too often are otherwise emotionally impactful scenes ruined by needlessly playing a quasi-dramatic OST in the background, which ends up just adding pretentiousness instead of intensity. Watching those two scenes made me feel like I was there holding my breath in suspense as Uenoyama gets closer to finding out the true nature of Mafuyu’s past.

Also I JUST WANNA THROW SOME LOVE ONTO HOW THE ENDING SCENE CIRCLES BACK FROM THE FIRST ONE ugh. oml. A job well done, screen writers 😩👌
Aug 16, 2019 9:43 PM
May 2016
LeafJonin said:

I can see your criticism, I think that the cast’s musical motivations—while not at the forefront—are showcased and developed, largely _through_ their relationships to others and each otherwise.
For instance, Nakayama started the band partially because he has a big a$$ crush on Akihiko packaged with a big a$$ insecurity complex so he just Kinda got to get real close to him by vibing together but not _that_ close bc he feels he just ain’t worthy of that 🅱️ig man love.
Uenoyama’s passion for music is reignited by Mafuyu’s endearing awe of and desire to learn it. also he nuts every time he hears Mafuyu’s voice, spoiler lmao
Clearly the show raised the question in this last episode of Mafuyu’s intentions in his musical pursuit. Idek about Akihiko, hopefully next episode we’ll start to find out ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 17, 2019 6:08 AM

Dec 2014
Mafuyu's past...the guy is struggling too much
Aug 17, 2019 8:34 AM
Sep 2015
Anyone notice that Mafuyu looking for lyrics inspiration in a Terrence Malick style?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» I'm a straight guy, can I watch it?

removed-user - Oct 29, 2023

36 by NekoCats »»
Mar 2, 8:27 PM

Poll: » Given Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Tubby - Jul 18, 2019

113 by Mak_and_Cheese »»
Feb 17, 8:48 AM

Poll: » Given Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Gardevoir101 - Sep 19, 2019

133 by Kildzoo25 »»
Feb 10, 2:09 AM

Poll: » Given Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Tubby - Jul 25, 2019

85 by gorkoo »»
Jan 23, 12:01 PM

Poll: » Given Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Gardevoir101 - Sep 5, 2019

249 by Craneface »»
Jan 9, 1:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.