Forum Settings
Forums

Anyone else still hold any or all of the first 1-3 anime they ever saw as their absolute favorites?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Aug 9, 2019 3:17 PM
Dec 2018
the first anime I watched to the point of completion was Death Note. Even though it's not my absolute favorite, it's one of my favorites.
Aug 9, 2019 3:55 PM

Aug 2016
The only anime that survived the test of time for me from that early on was Higurashi. Maybe one day it will drop from my top 10 but even after recently rewatching it I still love it as much as the other anime I have on my top 10.
Aug 9, 2019 4:07 PM

Jul 2015
Yes and no. While I still like them, I don't count them as favorites aside from Spirited Away.
Aug 9, 2019 4:13 PM

Nov 2016
I'm only keeping Kekkai Sensen, the other two were Sword Art Online and Mirai Nikki.
Aug 9, 2019 4:13 PM
Mar 2016
I just realized that I'd pick Inuyasha over many of the anime in my top 10 simply because of nostalgia. So yeah it applies to me
Aug 9, 2019 4:21 PM
Nov 2018
Yeah
Food Wars was my first anime and I absolutely love it
It’s the best shounen i’ve seen with only FMAB really competing with it imo
Aug 9, 2019 4:25 PM

Oct 2018
Yes. I still think Death Note, Kenpuu Denki Berserk and Claymore are always going to be my top. I'm not counting DBZ because that was a long time ago when I was a kid.

Aug 9, 2019 4:53 PM

May 2012
Idr if it was my first three but defiant my first 10- Elemental Gelade has a very special place in my heart.
Aug 9, 2019 4:59 PM

Sep 2014
Not really, my first few were naruto, shaman king, baccano and danshi koukousei. none of these is even close to being my favourite.

Kill la Kill was actually among the first anime I have watched, I couldn't have seen more than 10-15 shows before it, and it is my absolute favourite with nothing even close to it.
It's actually the show that made me create an account here to put into my favourite and everything. It made me love the medium.
That being said, its position as favourite is not due to nostalgia or newbie bias or anything of the sort. I have rewatched it 8 times now and there's nothing I'm as sure of as KLK being the best anime ever made.
Aug 9, 2019 5:24 PM

Jun 2019
Imaishi said:
Not really, my first few were naruto, shaman king, baccano and danshi koukousei. none of these is even close to being my favourite.

Kill la Kill was actually among the first anime I have watched, I couldn't have seen more than 10-15 shows before it, and it is my absolute favourite with nothing even close to it.
It's actually the show that made me create an account here to put into my favourite and everything. It made me love the medium.
That being said, its position as favourite is not due to nostalgia or newbie bias or anything of the sort. I have rewatched it 8 times now and there's nothing I'm as sure of as KLK being the best anime ever made.

Yup, this just about perfectly encapsulates how I feel with Koi Kaze, except that it just so happened to be the very first anime I ever sat down to watch, but if it were almost anything else, I can almost picture exactly my reaction of amusement, contentment, or appreciation, but with no driving desire to ever to go further into the anime-verse. A hard bet I wouldn't be here today.

I don't consider it to be nostalgia as I was 25 at the time and I'm 28 now. I'm not nostalgic for being 25 or anything in particular going on in my life at that exact time. It still remains the only anime I consider to be perfect.

It's just an odd feeling when that doesn't even come close to changing after 100+ titles and you suspect it won't after 1,000 more.
Aug 9, 2019 5:54 PM

Oct 2014
Nope. All of the Anime I first started watching was all of the Toonami stuff in the late 90s/early 00s. I liked all of that stuff a lot back then, but as I branched out I enjoyed other series much more.
Aug 9, 2019 6:11 PM

Dec 2014
Not really... The first 3 would be Sailor Moon, Grendizer and Dragon Ball. I was like 3-4yo when I watched the first 2, I remember I loved them, but I barely remember anything. For Dragon Ball, I was older... I pretty much grew up with it. It started when I was around 7-8yo and ended when I was around 11-12yo. I loved Dragon Ball back then, I got my first chunny period from it. But now, I have no interest in the franchise whatsoever and I consider it quite dumb... There was also Cardcoper Sakura on TV in the same period, another temporary favorite, about which I forgot almost everything and don't care that much. Then there was Pokemon, with whom I was quite obsessed too (still in the same timeline with Dragon Ball, that why I mention it), but in which I don't hold interest in the present. Beyblade, Bidaman, Yu Gi Oh, Duel Masters, those were airing at the time or later, and they where a phenomenon backs them. I had Beyblades, I had cards... I didn't have Bidaman thou... Anyway, I don't care about those either now. And there was Digimon Adventure... Saturday and Sunday at 10 PM. It's been like 15 years or so, but I still remember that one. Is not a favorite of mine now, but I loved that one when I was a child, and it still has a special place to my heart to this day. Even those I discovered later, and got me into anime as a teenager (because to that point, those were cartoons on TV for me, and believed Japan is in China... probably), like Naruto, Bleach, Blood+... those are not favorites of mine anymore either. Over the years, there where anime that were my absolute favorite, but lost their place in time... I remember Basquash and Darker than Black as being 2 of them.
Aug 9, 2019 6:19 PM

Dec 2018
My first 3 animes were dbz, bleach and naruto.
My favourite was bleach out of the 3 because it was the first ever anime i watched after starting with the manga. I loved the concept of the anime and i thought it was really dope. It holds a special place in my heart for being what it was back in the day and it feels so iconic to me. Of course, over time i watched 200 more animes and when you discover new animes you kind of get that feeling where you go "this is probably my favourite anime now" after watching a really good one - which was how i felt after watching Grand Blue. However, I would still put Bleach up there into my favourites for the few reasons i can think of.
Aug 9, 2019 7:00 PM

Dec 2012
No they were all cool when I was a teenager, but I've since watched many hundreds of titles of higher quality that I enjoyed much more than a bunch of random Dragonball Z movies.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Aug 9, 2019 7:04 PM

Dec 2016
I don't remember what my third anime was, but my first and second anime were Attack on Titan and Inuyasha. I never considered AOT a favorite (and definitely not after S2), but Inuyasha is still a favorite.
Aug 9, 2019 7:37 PM
Jan 2019
My fist 3 anime were hellsing ultimate , tokyo ghoul and overlord
Hellsing n overlord are one of my favorite animes of all time
Aug 9, 2019 9:17 PM

Oct 2017
Clannad: After Story is still my favourite anime. How early it was depends on whether one seperates seasons, but it went Attack on Titan S1 and S2, then ERASED, then Clannad, then After Story. Oh and I saw Death Note like a decade earlier, I guess that counts.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Aug 9, 2019 9:22 PM

Jan 2015
My first 3 anime knowing that they were anime was Dragonball Z, Bleach, and the original Hellsing. Bleach is still my 2nd favorite of all time. Thought maybe it was just nostalgia for me and it wasn't actually good like I saw a lot of people saying, but I went back and rewatched it last year and it was still godlike.
Aug 9, 2019 9:27 PM

Feb 2014
Cowboy Bebop was one of the first anime I watched. I've rewatched it a few times since then and it still remains one of the best anime out there as far as I'm concerned. Same goes for Welcome to the NHK, The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, and the original FMA.
Aug 9, 2019 9:31 PM

Oct 2013
The closest thing to that is Fullmetal Alchemist:Brotherhood for me. The original FMA is the first anime I ever completed. Don't think it counts though since it's not the original in my favorites .
Aug 9, 2019 10:02 PM
Feb 2018
THe first three anime's ive watched when I was a kid and I didn't know what the word anime was were Pokemon (i watched everything until charizard left, no point watching after that), Yugiho (episodes here and there on tv but always out of order) and around the world in 80 days(animal version, which I just discovered last month that it was an anime and not a cartoon made by france or america).

Now the first three anime's I started watching right after Avatar, which is when i clearly knew what anime was (4 years ago to be exact) were in the following order:

-Death Note (it definitely holds a spot in my heart but I still think to this day the second half kind of ruined it from being in my top 10 for me)

-One Punch man season 1 (it was just great fun and since i used to watch so many superhero cw and netflix shows at the time, it gave another side on the matter which made it insanely fun to watch)

-I'm still foggy on what my third anime was but I'm pretty sure it was Attack on Titan season 1(unless i'm mistaken and it was the original fullmetal alchemist or i'm even more mistaken and it was my hero academia season 1 or i'm truly even more mistaken and it was sword art online)
Anyway Attack on Titan was just the best shock value at the time of watching anime for a first timer particularly the first arc and episode 5, but the second arc kind of took me a tad out of it (kind of like death note but even more so, hence why It's nowhere near my top 25 even.

I think since then, i've watched more than a hundreed different anime and my top 5 doesn't have any of the first shows I watched, as my favourite kind are the more cerebral anime like monster and LOGH that were kind of hard to get into at first so there was no chance I could have watched them right away as I was getting into the world of anime.
My first anime's were some of the most popular one's and while they might not be in my top 5 today, they were instrumental as a way for me to get into the world of anime and to actually stay in it and not get scared by it and run away.
Aug 9, 2019 10:22 PM

Jan 2016
Yeah. The first anime I ever saw was Cowboy Bebop (when I was about 5) and I still think it's one of the best anime I've ever seen, if not one of the best tv shows I've seen period. I mean, it's Cowboy Bebop.
Aug 9, 2019 10:22 PM
Apr 2017
Thank god, no. 😁 My first 3 anime was Naruto, Digimon and Pokemon.
Aug 10, 2019 1:07 AM

Aug 2018
The first 3 anime i saw when i didn't know that anime exist but its anime that am watching xD
: Voltes V, Digimon and Pokemon

These are not my fav anime anymore couz time change people but i like this show so much back when i was a little

The first 3 anime i saw when i got interested in watching anime
: Fairy Tail, Chuunibyou and Akame ga Kill!

In these 3, FT still my #1 fav until now.
Chuunibyou has special place in my heart cuz of this anime i got into romcom genre which my most fav genre right now.
Akame ga Kill used to be my fav before but it got replaced by romcom anime lol but i still love that show
B O C C H I  S W E E P
Aug 10, 2019 1:45 AM

Sep 2017
Got into anime a bit later but kamisama kiss and death note still slap just like it did when i first watched them,nothing would change my mind

"those who aren't able to find a more miserable person than themselves turn to the internet and call others losers,even though they've never met"- Satou from nhk
Aug 10, 2019 1:55 AM

Oct 2018
my first ever 3 anime's are Alps no Shoujo Heidi, Kazoku Robinson Hyouryuuki: Fushigi na Shima no Flone and dragon ball z

and i still love watching Alps no Shoujo Heidi and Kazoku Robinson Hyouryuuki: Fushigi na Shima no Flone there 2 of my all time favs
Aug 10, 2019 2:03 AM

Oct 2018
I used to, it's still a 10 on my list, but not in my top 10 anymore.

It's quite common, since the first is the one you're gonna empathize with the most. It's a new medium, so you have no prior experience.

Bakemonogatari, Detective Conan and Spirited Away for anyone wondering.
【🇳​🇪​🇼​ 🇵​🇷​🇴​🇫​🇮​🇱​🇪​ 🇩​🇪​🇸​🇮​🇬​🇳​】

I accept all friend requests! - Feel free to add me!

Aug 10, 2019 2:09 AM
Jan 2018
My first three were k-on, Hayate no gotoku and hunter x hunter. Hunter x hunter is the greatest anime of all time, hayate no gotoku was a masterpiece for first 51 volumes although the last 52nd volume was a bad climax but I would still consider that as a favourite and k-on I need to rewatch to be sure.
Aug 10, 2019 2:18 AM

Apr 2016
Fairy Tail was the third anime I warched, after Death Note and Deadman Wonderlnad, when I began to watch anime constantly and probably is for this that FT is still one of my favourites nowday.
Aug 10, 2019 2:30 AM
Jun 2019
Yup!I m the Rare One
#1Inazuama
#2Death Note
#3One Piece
They are my favourite but list don't ends here....
[They are favourties but not top three...]
Aug 10, 2019 2:34 AM

Nov 2016
If we're talking about shows that I watched in its entirety and not just when I watched random episodes on TV then it would be SAO, Toradora, and Watamote. Watamote is decent enough, SAO is garbage, and Toradora is still in my top 10 to this day.
Aug 10, 2019 2:48 AM

Nov 2016
rma2002 said:
Yeah definitely. It's funny you mention because I was just thinking about this the other day, since a lot of my friends who watch anime seem to love the first ones they've seen too even though I didn't like them. Toradora was my first romcom/slice of life. Needless to say the rest of the ones I watched never came close to matching with it. As far as I can tell it seems to hold a slightly above average rating according to the community but I think its something special.

I think it's the shock of experiencing something totally different as a new anime viewer. I never knew something like Toradora even existed. I was so used to watching like normal TV shows about romance, maybe a movie or two and it just blew my mind how anime depicted something I thought I understood well, so beautifully.

Ayy! My sentiments exactly. It pulled on my heartstrings and is pretty much the first romcom I ever loved.
Aug 10, 2019 3:03 AM
May 2016
Not really my first 3 were

Yu-gi-oh [got shit after GX Gen 2]

Pokémon [went shit after gen 3]

Digimon [ went shit after gen 2
Aug 10, 2019 3:20 AM

Oct 2014
Mine were the Big 3, so no. While I do still have soft spots for them, there's no way I'd consider them my top favorites.
Aug 10, 2019 8:23 AM
~Watching Anime

Oct 2018
The short answer is no.

I still hold Vampire Hunter D (1985) as a fond favourite, but not the most so.
Have suspicions, not faith.
Aug 10, 2019 8:24 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
No certainly not. But most of my favourites were still shows I saw fairly early, but not *that* early. More like in the first 200-300 or so
Aug 10, 2019 8:38 AM

Aug 2018
Nop, not even close, I think that people that does that is probably with the nostalgia googles. I still enjoy some of them, but they aren't my favorites.
Aug 10, 2019 9:14 AM
Funny Lesbian

Sep 2018
I got into anime by reading the Danganronpa VNs. I still view it as pretty much my favourite franchise, just because of the emotional attachment.

I did watch the anime adaptation of it afterwards, which also makes it my first anime, but i thought the adaptation of the first game kind of sucked.

So no.... But yes if we let VNs count.
you got the whole squad laughing

[/URL]
Aug 10, 2019 11:44 AM

Mar 2015
Let's see

Pokemon: If I watched it today I do think I'd enjoy it due to nostalgia, but it's nowhere near to being my favorite anime.

Soul Eater: I really liked it when I first watched it, but nowadays it's like whatever. If I rewatched it I doubt I'd like it as much as before.

Another: This one too is like whatever to me nowadays. 14-year old me was way more into edgy stuff than present me.

Yeah none of them are even close to being in my current top 10.
Aug 10, 2019 11:56 AM

Jan 2013
Not in my favorites, but they probably have way too high scores.
Aug 10, 2019 1:11 PM

Apr 2014
yeah naruto shipuuden in my all time faves
Aug 10, 2019 2:12 PM

Dec 2015
My first three anime were Zero no Tsukaima, Blue Exorcist, and Code Geass, and they have an 8, 6, and 9 respectively. Of course, I watched shit like Pokemon and Naruto before that, but I never really sought them out for being anime, so I don't really count them.
Dropping your favorite show
Aug 10, 2019 2:22 PM

May 2014
First three for me I think were Starship Operators, A Certain Magical Index (S1) Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi in that order. While they all mesmerized me at the time and got me very much into anime and Japanese culture, none of them are top 10s for me.
I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.
Aug 10, 2019 4:04 PM

Dec 2017
The first anime I watched was Death Note followed by Code Geass. While I do think they are really good (especially Code Geass) There have been some series that surpassed them i terms of favourites.
Aug 10, 2019 4:22 PM

Nov 2018
My second anime was Toradora, which remains my favourite. My 1st was Evangelion and my 3rd was Bleach, neither of which are close to my favourites
Aug 10, 2019 4:23 PM

Apr 2013
Yeah, Naruto is still one of my favorite shounens.
Aug 10, 2019 4:59 PM

Dec 2015
First,
Pullman said:
There were dozens of anime on TV when I was a kid and I watched most of them whenever I could catch an episode (except Sailor Moon, that was too girly for me as a kid), but I have no way of retracing which of them I watched 'first'.

Of course, yes. Orange Road is among the first titles I saw (probably around or before Dragon Ball). As a young child, I loved it because it was fun,pretty and exploited ESPs. y Then I discovered the movie finale, years later, and was amazed by it.
As a teenager watching the show for the first time in an uncuted version (with japanese audio, songs included), I loved it even more for the characters, the sense of nostalgia it inspires (for the 80s, for a lost period of innocent happiness and friendship, for youth), Akemi Takada's lovely redesigns, Sagisu's musics (and the songs too)Furuya and Tsuru's voices, the few cinema quotations (especially The Graduate one), etc.

Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:
Hell no... the first two shows I watched were Captain Tsubasa and Saint Seiya. After that, probably Sailor Moon. Or Doraemon.

I wouldn't watch any of them now.

Reading this could lead people to think the St Seiya and Sailor Moon animated series have no quality.
Rei_IIIAug 10, 2019 5:25 PM
Aug 10, 2019 5:02 PM

Jan 2016
The Index franchise is still a favorite although I would not call it an absolute now. It still holds a very dear and special pkace in my heart.
Aug 10, 2019 5:05 PM

Mar 2015
Nah, but they are ranked fairly high.

My first three were Death Note, Black Butler, and OHSHC. I think Death Note is actually good, but Black Butler and OHSHC are only rated higher for nostalgic reasons.
woah there
Aug 10, 2019 5:17 PM

Aug 2019
Yeah. When I began to watch anime on regular basis, some of the them turned out to be my favourites in the end.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - 9 hours ago

23 by Toooooooooohru »»
3 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18? ( 1 2 )

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

64 by LostSpectre »»
8 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 24

32 by Dauphine »»
10 minutes ago

» Would you rather watch Anime blind or deaf?

Dragevard - 1 hour ago

8 by mizukasa »»
11 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - 3 hours ago

3 by LostSpectre »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.