Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 4, 2019 8:12 PM

Jan 2013
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
ok the reverse decision was bs. and here we thought it was all "business as usual" for Ash lol.......Hau was robbed
Kiawe is definitely a favorite to advance but Sophocles is putting work in surprisingly and might pull off an upset

i lowkey hoped the PokeProblem answer was that match was canceled due to rain lol
Aug 4, 2019 9:05 PM
Aug 2017
I mean that was a great battle 5/5. The feather dance was great and I thought for sure Ash lost that one lmao.
Aug 4, 2019 9:36 PM

Feb 2012
dannymilk said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
ok the reverse decision was bs

I 100% agree I understand Mukroh likes using "rest" but remember in the 1st Pokemon league when he took a L because Charizard snoozed. I'm really excited with Meltan I think its going to evolve into Melmetal in the next few episodes

I so hated the sneaky tease the producers of the episode did with Mukroh when the Everstone fell out.. I totally thought he was going to evolve
rafi160Aug 4, 2019 9:39 PM
Aug 5, 2019 11:48 AM

Sep 2015
Well that whole thing was a bunch of crap,can't believe it took that many eps for me to realize the stupid writing of how Satoshi should win a fight that he should easily have lost.

Even children are not stupid enough to realize that whole thing was just an ass pull.
Aug 5, 2019 12:15 PM
Nov 2014
That was the biggest trolling I've ever seen in Pokemon. I was so shocked, I couldn't believe Ash had lost so soon... but Rowlet wasn't defeated, he was just asleep lmao.

I don't think it's bs like some have said, I think it's fair, the fight hadn't ended. Comparing it to Kanto's League is wrong cause in that League Richie's Charmander was counted as defeated when he only ran away from Ash's Charizard and was recalled to his pokeball. Things were done differently during that 1st League. Also Ash's Charizard deliberately fell asleep to avoid listening to Ash's orders, so it's a completely different scenario.

It was a really nice battle tbh, it's been a while since we had one of these battles were both pokemon collide attacks, fall to the ground, get back up and keep fighting. Was satisfying to watch.

Next episode looks awesome too, if Alola League gives us 3 v 3 battles during the Semifinals it could be really special.
Aug 5, 2019 1:34 PM

Sep 2011
Allow me to vent for a moment... What nonsense. That's not how feather dance works, that seemed more like substitute. Satoshi is always losing leagues so it's weird to say this, but he was favored here. Poor Hau, I don't see how falling asleep like that wasn't enough to disqualify Mokurou either. It's weird to feel like this when Mokurou is my absolute favorite, but I'm sad even though I saw it coming. I guess I should get emotionally ready to see Maamane defeating Kaki too then. I just hope Suiren will make Guzma wish he was battling someone else if only for a moment.
Aug 5, 2019 3:38 PM

Mar 2014
Damn Rowlet, they really fooled me believing that Ash lost the league AGAIN!

ahh sleep, that reminded me to the first league where Ash lost unfairly the league just because Charizard is lazing around. And yes, it is unfarily because as someone playing Pokemon Stadium as kid, I was already aware that sleeping is a common status in a Pokémon battle and is not the same to be fainted, so was just an lazy way to kick him out to send him to another region to the infinite.

I'm very interesed about who is going to be Ash's next opponent.
Aug 7, 2019 1:02 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Some buuuuuuuuulllsh*t. At that point, every Pokemon can just get hit and maybe just pretend to be asleep every time. I was ready for my son to go out, but not for some dumb crap like that. Actually I was DREADING this episode because I figured Hau would lose, but I started thinking like hey Maki Aikawa in Ace wo Nerae did something similar, not wanting to see her friend's match because she figured she was going to lose, but she was convinced that even if they lose it's still important to sport your friend in person. Remembering that, I sucked it up and stopped putting this episode off. wHAT A CRUDDY LOSS THOUGH! BUT he took it well and did a really great job. I'm really proud of him and I hope he keeps moving forward!
I'd be really happy if Hau kept appearing for the rest of the anime. Please. :C Can you at least give him that, anime staff?

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Aug 8, 2019 12:53 AM

Jul 2015
And from that day onwards Hau didn't visit his grandpa anymore.

Yeah, that was hella bullshit, not that I ever expected Ash to lose against him so I was close to be surprised there, I guess that's a new way to use feather dance lmao.

Other than that pretty fun episode, let's see how the other fight goes.
Aug 10, 2019 8:58 AM
May 2018
I would have preferred if they let Rowlet evolve just so Hau's Decidueye losing wouldn't seem so embarrasing. Like, his starter is so worthless that his opponent falls asleep during battle. Hau could have just continued the attack after finding out that Rowlet was asleep instead of allowing Ash to wake him up. Remember the Sinnoh League where Heracross was still allowed to be attacked when asleep? The only thing that cheers me up is that Vikavolt and Charizard have no comedic qualities so at least that battle is going to end in a normal way instead of making it a joke.
Aug 11, 2019 12:04 AM

Jan 2013
rafi160 said:
I understand Mukroh likes using "rest" but remember in the 1st Pokemon league when he took a L because Charizard snoozed.
Oh damn, now that you mention it, that's just cruel.

Terrible episode.

Pulling the sleeping gag in the middle of the tournament was in poor taste. Can you imagine how that came out in the production meeting?
I mean come on, I know Satoshi is the always the underdog, but a stage one vs a stage three evolution? There's a line on how ridiculous of a hat trick you can pull. Not that it probably hasn't happened before, but I would like to give Hau some credit towards being a trainer. It's not like we see Mokuroh avidly participating in battle, beating ass, and getting stronger - we had to essentially dedicate a montage to it.
And Featherdance? That's the clutch? He used it like a shield!
Something I've been loving about the series up until now is seeing how they depict all the different moves and how their in-game abilities transfer to the anime's Pokemon world.
Largely, they've done an excellent job! Kinda sloppy to start changing it up now - they didn't even address it's actual usage (I don't think). How does that get a pass when they're putting that shit together?

The single battles too are killing it for me. There's hardly any tension when they're all lined up and we know they'll use they're signature Pokemon. We could have gotten a real three-on-three with Hau instead of that ass pull of a match.

Altogether the Pokemon League is too simple, more akin to a bargain-bin version, or a mock battle for new trainers. Like playing pretend lol.
ChandelaAug 11, 2019 12:11 AM
Aug 11, 2019 1:28 PM
Jan 2018
They should have stopped using rowlet as a gag character and evolved it . Instead they decided to make an excuse so they can keep using it for comic relief until the worst possible time to decide they might actually evolve it
Aug 12, 2019 10:28 PM
Apr 2018
This was such a strange way to win, even by Ash's standards. I like Rowlet though, so I'm kinda happy for him. I'm not going to apply games logic here since by this point it's useless.

rafi160 said:
dannymilk said:
ok the reverse decision was bs

I 100% agree I understand Mukroh likes using "rest" but remember in the 1st Pokemon league when he took a L because Charizard snoozed
Nah man, Ash lost because Charizard refused to battle. Char had no intention to keep battling so he decided to ignore Ash completely.
Sep 27, 2019 1:41 AM

Dec 2012
Mokuroh is down.
Brave Bird!
Goddo Bird!
Dat clash.
They're both down.
Ju'niper got back up.
Satoshi lost!
Hala interrupts.
An objection?
WTF! Mokuroh is sleeping?
The battle resumes.
Goddo Bird!
WTF!
Brave Bird!
Satoshi won.
WTF is Meltan doing?
Hau.
Dem tears.
Mamane vs Kaki.
Lizardon.
Lizardon is trapped in that Spit Thread.
Dat ending. Tsuzuku.

lol Satoshi got saved. He shouldn't have won. Also, Satoshi vs Shota was better and can't be topped. Hau is a poor mans Shota.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Feb 16, 2021 1:56 PM

Dec 2007
though to be plot armour, i was so LOL by rowlet xD
(though i knew ash wouldn't lose via spoilers)

and no, though the cliffhanger of the last episode was good, soffuclease vs kiawe is pretty stupid since his bug pokemon will lose pretty easy by charizard who's a fire type, why should that z-move bug type hurt him??

i'm pretty guessing that ash's fights gonna be: vs gladion and then vs gozma, and his battles are all what i care here, as in all leagues (and from the obvious reason...)
Jul 14, 2022 6:38 PM

Sep 2017
Ash should have lost that. He accepted it too. But yeah Rowlett wasn't knocked out. It's sleeping. How did the Kahuna notice that. You could be cheap and say i won that! but you didn't knock it out so understandable hau. Rebattle to surely make sure its completely fainted. that was his goal to beat ash... resulted in haus lost so he didnt beat him.
that sucks. Plot armor strikes at its finest.
Dec 19, 2022 3:30 PM

Jul 2011
One of my least favorite Sun and Moon episodes. The match should've ended as soon as the referee called it. What a bullcrap cop-out
Check out my anime reviews or my pet will get you: Mezase Pokémon Master
Jan 23, 5:46 AM
Oct 2017
People calling BS on this ep while the whole series has been ignoring many "rules" of the games for its entire run. Ash's first gym fight? Use the gym's sprinklers, just like in the game! Or my favorite BS mechanic which is used in every battle: "Evade!" just like Decidueye did against Rowlet's Z-Move (what move can't be evaded at this point?).
Nah, the anime goes by its own rules and is usually trying to make fights more dramatic. It's a kids show, you have to enjoy it for what it is. Although I think many people make complaining part of their enjoyment and they'll just keep watching in part so they can keep complaining.
I personally like it when they get creative with the Pokemon moves just like how feather dance is used here. In the end, for Rowlet to beat Decidueye, the only way they could make it happen was to outsmart it in some way and that's what we got here, together with the pay-off to Rowlet's last minute training. But, in regard to raw power, I think Decidueye was shown as the strongest so no hard feelings.
I don't think the show took enough time to build Hau as the guy who could end Ash's run, that would have been so disappointing.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Pokemon Sun & Moon Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kensai-Serazu - Nov 17, 2016

105 by crackingfeetlol »»
Mar 29, 11:32 AM

Poll: » Pokemon Sun & Moon Episode 146 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Ri22rk - Nov 3, 2019

52 by leanrv »»
Feb 22, 11:16 AM

Poll: » Pokemon Sun & Moon Episode 144 Discussion

Ri22rk - Oct 20, 2019

28 by leanrv »»
Feb 20, 5:44 AM

Poll: » Pokemon Sun & Moon Episode 143 Discussion

Ri22rk - Oct 13, 2019

18 by leanrv »»
Feb 14, 6:02 AM

Poll: » Pokemon Sun & Moon Episode 139 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Crzykido - Sep 15, 2019

58 by leanrv »»
Feb 7, 10:06 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.