Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Nov 17, 2016 5:25 AM

Jan 2014
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
It was a pretty alright first episode and I wonder who as is going to choose for his starter
Nov 17, 2016 5:34 AM

May 2009
Pretty stellar start for the series, apparantly they WON a vacation to Alola instead of just moving. It's by far the most charming looking season to dat, Alola and it's inhabitants beams a good atmosphere. It seems like this series is going to focus on the various main characters and their development as a class.

Also, the opening for those who haven't seen it.

ShoryuukenNov 17, 2016 5:52 AM
Nov 17, 2016 6:55 AM
Jul 2018
ecylisis said:
Is anyone subbing this?

I don't think so, though I am watching it raw.
Nov 17, 2016 6:59 AM
Jul 2018
As far as the first episode goes for me, this was actually entertaining as hell. It actually felt like a sense of nostalgia with the cartoon-ish artstyle that brought some sort of feeling of being a kid again, like legitimately. At the same time it has its own charm with the artstyle thanks to it, we have some fluid and smooth animation quality, and a shit ton of variety of comedic facial expressions, which helps a lot in the series' favor.

As far as the story goes, I'm not pretty sure just yet. Although I want to get the context of the story around since I got little information, but it was still fun to watch. Great character motions along with some fights, even the Z-Moves were amazing to look at. The artstyle helps in its favor with that because it gives liberty for the animators to do different movements without the worry of the original artstyle.

Overall a great start, sense of nostalgia with the artstyle and how the first episode was, a sense of entertainment and enjoyment around here and there. Love it~
Nov 17, 2016 7:23 AM

Dec 2012
SymphoniacTippy said:
ecylisis said:
Is anyone subbing this?

PocketMonster fansub will sub Sun and Moon since in their website it says under upcoming releases Pocket Monsters Sun & Moon 1 Hour Special after XYZ episode 45 gets sub.
LightBladeNova said:
It makes me sad to know that still hardly anyone knows what a visual novel is, even in the anime community.
Nov 17, 2016 8:58 AM

Jan 2016
This was surprisingly GOOD! Honestly the comdey kinda reminds me of the first season of Pokemon, it was fun. Although it's a bit sad to see Ash's current state, other then Ash the animation looks crisp!

Great seeing Pikachu kicking ass but i would have died for Ash to say i was the runner up in the kalos league! Or for somebody to recognize him from the finals atleast. Like Max did in the Advance series when he was pointed out that "You're Ash from the silver conference".

Lille sorta reminds me of early stage May as she wasn't to fond of Pokemons either.

Good start!
Nov 17, 2016 9:39 AM

Jan 2015
That was very good!
Animation is fluid, I really like the character designs.

I wonder why that pokemon (the protector of the island) gave to Satoshi that thing

Amazing OP.
XenocrisiNov 17, 2016 10:42 AM
Nov 17, 2016 12:33 PM

Aug 2016
Oh man this was so fun and refreshing! i was a bit scared going into this, but i'm pleasantly surprised :).
Definitely going to watch more episodes.
Nov 17, 2016 12:36 PM

Jul 2014
OMG the alolan prof. Oak just look so derpy and I don't like that hairstyle but I liked the green hair girl ^_^
And ash looks like a pocket thief to me lol just saying.

Nov 17, 2016 12:41 PM
Jul 2016
The best part definitely has to be the ending song!
Nov 17, 2016 12:42 PM

Aug 2016
SymphoniacTippy said:
As far as the first episode goes for me, this was actually entertaining as hell. It actually felt like a sense of nostalgia with the cartoon-ish artstyle that brought some sort of feeling of being a kid again, like legitimately. At the same time it has its own charm with the artstyle thanks to it, we have some fluid and smooth animation quality, and a shit ton of variety of comedic facial expressions, which helps a lot in the series' favor.

As far as the story goes, I'm not pretty sure just yet. Although I want to get the context of the story around since I got little information, but it was still fun to watch. Great character motions along with some fights, even the Z-Moves were amazing to look at. The artstyle helps in its favor with that because it gives liberty for the animators to do different movements without the worry of the original artstyle.

Overall a great start, sense of nostalgia with the artstyle and how the first episode was, a sense of entertainment and enjoyment around here and there. Love it~

This so much! You just described my feelings watching this episode.
Nov 17, 2016 1:10 PM

Jan 2016
Oh Pikachu wasn't nerfed here and still retains his skills xD

I have to admit it was a good start. Sun & Moon is stylistically different but so is the plot (since there's no quest for badges now). I can see these differences are drastic to the previous seasons but the setting is undoubtedly interesting. Notice how the intensity of the battles is still brilliant, I have hopes with this one now.

P.S.: Highlight: Ash and his eternal 10 years LOL
THANKS SENPIEX
Nov 17, 2016 1:28 PM

Jul 2008
While I still say this looks like a Digimon show and that I liked XYZ'S animation style better. Heck it was the culmination of 5 shows of Pokemon. The art wasnt bad, just different. And even then, it still retained that Pokemon charm. Pikachu for instance did his famous imitation skill again. Still looked good.

Anyway, so I guess we can all agree. The wild Pokemon of Aloha are crazy and destructive. Bewear just knocked a section of the forest down and that burrow mon just wrecked a street... Man, if those would invade like the Venipede did in Catellia, that would be a infrastructure nightmare.

Ash seems to be a bit of a human target this time around... well more than usual, but he and Pikachu arei still portrayed as badasses!
They have learned from XYZ!!
Spirits of the light! Wielders of the great power that shines far and wide upon the lands of our world... In my hour of need, grant me the light to banish evil!
Nov 17, 2016 1:29 PM

Jan 2015
Yeah, better than I thought would be.

Don't know about you guys, but I'm in love with Mallow already. And it seems she's the main character besides Ash too! Also really really like the Lillie girl.

But absolutely hate the tiny fat boy, his voice is so annoying!

The only thing I hope that changes is the setting. If they stay too much time on that school it's going to be really boring imo, Pokemon is supposed to be about adventure.

Also people speculate about the 6 of them travelling together, not sure I like the idea, as I said the tiny boy is really annoying, and the blue-haired girl also seems pretty useless... The guy without shirt seems a good companion, although I don't think he's coming.

My bet would be Ash, Mallow, Lillie and the rival from the game, Hau.

What do you guys think?
Nov 17, 2016 1:31 PM

May 2009
thiagopv said:

Don't know about you guys, but I'm in love with Mallow already. And it seems she's the main character besides Ash too! Also really really like the Lillie girl.

The only thing I hope that changes is the setting. If they stay too much time on that school it's going to be really boring imo, Pokemon is supposed to be about adventure.

Also people speculate about the 6 of them travelling together, not sure I like the idea, as I said the tiny boy is really annoying, and the blue-haired girl also seems pretty useless... The guy without shirt seems a good companion, although I don't think he's coming.

What do you guys think?

They're going to travel as a class.
Nov 17, 2016 1:39 PM

Sep 2009
Still a bit unsure if I like it or not. It's different for sure. I suppose I'll need to see a few more episodes before I like it or not.
Nov 17, 2016 1:42 PM

Dec 2010
Ishkoten said:
SymphoniacTippy said:

PocketMonster fansub will sub Sun and Moon since in their website it says under upcoming releases Pocket Monsters Sun & Moon 1 Hour Special after XYZ episode 45 gets sub.

The problem is that we don't have any simulcasts. PoketMonster fansub is not a speedsub group either. I just want to watch it today! Whatever.
Sacrificing sleep and sanity for more anime-induced dopamine.
Nov 17, 2016 1:48 PM

Jan 2016
Way better than I expected.

The characters are better than last season... so i might give it a chance xD for the old times
Nov 17, 2016 1:59 PM

May 2009
Subbed
Nov 17, 2016 2:13 PM

Jul 2008
You know I get why they went for the cold open (not wanting to animate XYZ issues most likely) but seriously; the Kalos crew (Fiarrow, Hawhlucha and Onbat) really got screwed over. The only passing of the torch scene we saw(for now) was Ash giving Oak the 5 Kalos balls... In a fastforward style montage to boot!

That's kinda harsh especially when Numelgon got two send off's and Gekkouga was the star of his send off episode.

Though it is heartwarming in a way knowing that those three are together at Oak's lab, they did form the closest bond between the Kalos mons. Family like. No, they are a family.
Spirits of the light! Wielders of the great power that shines far and wide upon the lands of our world... In my hour of need, grant me the light to banish evil!
Nov 17, 2016 2:15 PM
Jul 2018
Its was really good first episode for any anime.
Nov 17, 2016 2:25 PM

Jun 2014
It was good. It had a nice set of charaters and everything, but had a plothole or two (to be expected from Pokemon though).
Nov 17, 2016 3:07 PM
Nov 2013
Hm...... Not bad. Actually I kinda liked it. Hopefully it'll get better.
Nov 17, 2016 3:18 PM
Jul 2018
Kagami said:
It was good. It had a nice set of charaters and everything, but had a plothole or two (to be expected from Pokemon though).

Can you kind of explain those plot holes? I am curious on that if you don't mind me asking.

Aside from that, as @Punkbeetle said, we can agree that the Pokemon in this region are pretty dangerous as far as the two episodes have gone up towards. Not gonna lie the bear Pokemon scared me in a creepy way. Not to mention that the Pokemon itself had a fucking smirk on its face while smashing the trees. Like, WHY ARE YOU SMILING WHILE BREAKING TREES? YOU'RE GONNA GIVE ME CREEPS.
Nov 17, 2016 3:28 PM

Sep 2016
I feel like the bear didn't intend to be so creepy, judging by it's confused reaction after it stops and Ash runs away.
I think he was just showing off its power when breaking the trees, and running after Ash to give him a...hug(its description in the games does mention it likes hugging trainers).
Nov 17, 2016 3:43 PM
Jan 2016
Insanitium said:
Ishkoten said:

The problem is that we don't have any simulcasts. PoketMonster fansub is not a speedsub group either. I just want to watch it today! Whatever.

Here you are!
https://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=871963

Or, alternatively: http://kissanime.to/Anime/Pokemon-Sun-Moon/Episode-001?id=132175
Nov 17, 2016 3:51 PM

Jan 2015
Shoryuuken said:
thiagopv said:

What do you guys think?

They're going to travel as a class.

Is that a theory or is it actually confirmed? I'm lost here.

Also, is Professor Kukui coming also, or just the kids?
Nov 17, 2016 4:00 PM
Jul 2018
ThePiDay said:
I feel like the bear didn't intend to be so creepy, judging by it's confused reaction after it stops and Ash runs away.
I think he was just showing off its power when breaking the trees, and running after Ash to give him a...hug(its description in the games does mention it likes hugging trainers).

Ohhhh. Yeah but still it was kinda creepy, I think its more of the shadow added with the Pokemon when cutting the trees and then it just looked like he got mad or something.
Nov 17, 2016 4:10 PM

Mar 2014
His mom left him behind in Alola. Lol. That's what mothers do.

Man, seeing all those Pokémon he has caught (Charizard, Lapras, Primeape, Boldore, Tauros), I want to see them back.

That sub made a mistake with the numbers of Tauros he caught. He didn't caught 1 but 30 of them.
Nov 17, 2016 4:13 PM

Dec 2014
I forgot about the past pokemon region pilots but this one was a lot better than expected.

+I already find Mallow and Lillie more likeable than Serena.
+Also Kiawe is a bad mf.
+Ash's mom = milf
+Animation looks amazing
+Prof. Kukui already looking like he's my favorite prof.

- Ash looks young as hell, and he acts like god damn 5 year old
- Ash's mom didn't stay around

also how that Z-Move, how the hell did it not kill everyone?
Reminded me of this

Nov 17, 2016 5:00 PM
Jul 2018
Good start. It was also funny. I like the opening as well.
Nov 17, 2016 5:06 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
That was an enjoyable episode. Pretty solid start to the Alola region.

Gotta admit, this art looks pretty iffy but I do like Lillie's character design.
Pretty funny moments.
- Ash stepping on Litten. I wonder if Litten will be the new Charizard in that Charizard used to burn Ash.
- Ash getting pinched by the beetle like creature.
- Ash getting runover by a herd of Tauros.

Pikachu had some moments too. Loved the scene where Pikachu was trying to catch Tauros's tail. Cute scene.

The Team Skull vs Ash/Kaki pretty good. That Turtonator Z move was so overkill. That explosion, poor Pokemon got obliterated so bad.

Nice to see Ash's Mom(Delia) again. She looked very pretty in that dress she had and younger as well. Would have been cool to see her become a frequent character in the region.

And Ash gets a Z ring. Looking forward to this new region.

Nov 17, 2016 5:14 PM
Feb 2015
i already love this season,EVERYONE THANK AND PRAISE THE POKEMON LORDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nov 17, 2016 5:34 PM
Nov 2016
Pokemon Sun and Moon Episode 1 Alola! New Islands, New Pokemon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enHs1dnixAk&t=13s
Nov 17, 2016 6:22 PM

Jan 2014
...Wow, that was great!

I haven't been invested in the animated series since Diamond and Pearl, and actually the only seasons I've finished entirely are the first two. But count me in full swing here because I LOVED this episode!

Animation is gorgeous, I love the strong emphasis on all of the characters and Pokémon, and overall the new direction they seem to be taking here. Excited to see more!
Nov 17, 2016 6:35 PM

Aug 2014
Actually better than I thought.
It's not fair to compare this to the first ep of XY, but overall, it's still a pretty decent start.

Of course, how convenient of having Tapu Koko, Guardian of the Island that is not a common sight for people, getting interested in Satoshi after seeing him just for a few minutes, and he barely did anything spectacular for it to be that interested.

The art is fine, the girls design are cute, Kaki looks younger compared to original design, but still kinda fits, but Satoshi's tho... That will take a LOT of time to get used to..
Nov 17, 2016 6:56 PM

Feb 2012
It was a lot better than I thought it was gonna be. So far it looks like Ash hasn't forgotten everything and turned into an idiot. The guardian deity giving him the Z-ring was interesting. I really like Mallow and Lillie.
Nov 17, 2016 7:46 PM

Sep 2015
I'm done..my childhood is now fully ruined.
Nov 17, 2016 8:31 PM

Jan 2015
It was pretty good tbh. Although Ash looked like a piece of dough the first episode was not that bad.

Also, hes finally going to ffffff school.

“You were so bright... shining... Like... the sun!” ☆
Nov 17, 2016 9:15 PM

Oct 2011
oMG new pokemon yay
Pokémon school omg
Z moves awesome
Nov 17, 2016 9:18 PM

Jul 2014
That pink and black Pokemon has some serious problems(I think its a female one and a Yandere at that). It's hard to watch this without criticizing Ash's character design(I mean everyone else looks normal but him and his mom is practically a teenage than a mom now)and Oak has a cousin(i thought they mad Oak black or whatever).

My first impression of Team Skull: wannabe gangsters. The one in the middle is throwing signs of retardation and trying too hard to be cool.

3/5. After XY&Z and it's beauty, this is BW 2. Ash asked where he was inspite being told he was at the Pokemon School(yeah its actually called Pokemon School, so original)
I play video games. You should play a video game because you read my signature.
Nov 17, 2016 9:31 PM

Dec 2011
Interesting first episode.I enjoyed the first episode and can't wait to know more about the guardian deity of the four island.
Nice that Pikachu remain strong since he is so an experience fighter.
Nov 17, 2016 10:58 PM

Feb 2013
tfw I randomly pause and see this

bruh
Nov 17, 2016 11:03 PM

Apr 2013
Ash gets younger every season but suddenly he's 6 and the art style is terrible, jeez.
Nov 17, 2016 11:07 PM

Jul 2011
Huh.

It's actually not as bad as I thought it'd be. I really like the ending song, too. Lol, it reminded me of the original Pokerap xD.

The animation isn't so bad; It's cartoonish but very fluid. It's actually quite refreshing to see a more expressive Ash. I mean... sure, it's going to take a while to get used to the art style, but despite that, I might actually like this. Ash's reset isn't so bad either... I thought he'd be as dull as a rock like every other season but I was pleasantly surprised that that was not the case.

Also Kaki is kinda cute imo w dat flaming hair lmao. And Lillie is adorable~
Nov 17, 2016 11:08 PM

Aug 2015
Kensai-Serazu said:
It was a pretty alright first episode and I wonder who as is going to choose for his starter

It would be Rowlet on the fourth episode (the second half of the second 1-hour special next week).

------

This series started off differently more than the others, especially all of his SM cast (Lillie, Suiren, Mao, Mamane, and Kaki) are being introduced to him already right off the bat at this episode. I'm pretty sure this start will be a SLOW one as apparently there would be no Island Challenges (Alolan counterpart of the previous regions' Gyms) to be announced. Rather, the next episodes will be focusing on the following:
Episode 3: Rotom (as Rotomdex/Rotom Encyclopedia)
Episode 4: Rowlet
Episode 5: Lana and Popplio
Episode 6: Sophocles and Togedemaru
Possible Episodes 7-9: Mallow and Bounsweet, Kiawe and Turtonator and Lillie.

One thing I do like about this is that this series once again tried to build up the Trial Captains to be serious challenges for Ash, just like how Clemont and Ash's battle created tension between the two friends in XY (and unlike Brock and Misty in the original and Cilan in the Best Wishes), especially when one considered Mallow having a Bounsweet instead of a Lurantis or a Tsareena. Lillie, on the other hand... if you know about her pretty well in the games (her game counterpart is essentially Serena (anime) with bits of Bonnie (anime) when it comes to Cosmog), one would probably know what will be her story though. She will be getting Vulpix (Alola) in the future though because of that egg.

I only hope this series will actually affected Ash's story overall. By far, only OS (Ash's first journey) and XY (his journey with a childhood friend/outright love interest, Serena... she's the reason he became "mature" in XY, after all) are the ones that felt significant to his story at the moment. If this series could take him on a different course of his journey, this one would probably be significant to his story. I do hope for something more than that though, like his reasoning behind his dream to become a Pokemon Master... or his father, who had left him and his mother for a Pokemon journey.

By the way, other than Delia and Ash being lucky to get a vacation trip to Alola, this series had skipped anything else that had happened in Kanto, unlike in the first episode of Unova... Oh well, there's no Pikachu reset.
Frankies_MonsterNov 17, 2016 11:26 PM

Nov 17, 2016 11:52 PM

Sep 2014
That was an unexpected great start!I liked the way Ash went to Alola.It was something original for the franchise to go for a vacation after a long journey.The animation looks nice,but still I cannot get used to Ash's new artstyle.Some facial reactions though were priceless.I liked how the new pokemon introduced and how hostile can be if they feel they are in danger.I felt a little bad they didn't show anything related about Kalos except from the 5 pokeballs Ash left behind,without showing Talonflame,Hawlucha and Noivern one last time.I liked team Skull's entrance and Pikachu's power was the same just like Kalos.Pikachu just owned his opponents.The classmates look interesting and the girls are very cute.LOL if Serena makes an appearence she'll turn into a yandere with all the girls Ash will be accompanied with.I would like to see his Mom staying in Alola it would be nice to have her more since her screentime is non-existant,even after so many seasons.I haven't watched the 2nd episode yet(I don't know if there are subs),but overall I unexpectedly enjoyed it a lot and look forward for this.
Nov 17, 2016 11:52 PM
Jul 2018
Eden2307 said:
tfw I randomly pause and see this

bruh

I think that was a slim cut where one of the animators had some leg fetish. I may be wrong on this if anyone can correct me on this.
Nov 17, 2016 11:54 PM
Jul 2018
Frankies_Monster said:
Kensai-Serazu said:

It would be Rowlet on the fourth episode (the second half of the second 1-hour special next week).

------

This series started off differently more than the others, especially all of his SM cast (Lillie, Suiren, Mao, Mamane, and Kaki) are being introduced to him already right off the bat at this episode. I'm pretty sure this start will be a SLOW one as apparently there would be no Island Challenges (Alolan counterpart of the previous regions' Gyms) to be announced. Rather, the next episodes will be focusing on the following:
Episode 3: Rotom (as Rotomdex/Rotom Encyclopedia)
Episode 4: Rowlet
Episode 5: Lana and Popplio
Episode 6: Sophocles and Togedemaru
Possible Episodes 7-9: Mallow and Bounsweet, Kiawe and Turtonator and Lillie.

One thing I do like about this is that this series once again tried to build up the Trial Captains to be serious challenges for Ash, just like how Clemont and Ash's battle created tension between the two friends in XY (and unlike Brock and Misty in the original and Cilan in the Best Wishes), especially when one considered Mallow having a Bounsweet instead of a Lurantis or a Tsareena. Lillie, on the other hand... if you know about her pretty well in the games (her game counterpart is essentially Serena (anime) with bits of Bonnie (anime) when it comes to Cosmog), one would probably know what will be her story though. She will be getting Vulpix (Alola) in the future though because of that egg.

I only hope this series will actually affected Ash's story overall. By far, only OS (Ash's first journey) and XY (his journey with a childhood friend/outright love interest, Serena... she's the reason he became "mature" in XY, after all) are the ones that felt significant to his story at the moment. If this series could take him on a different course of his journey, this one would probably be significant to his story. I do hope for something more than that though, like his reasoning behind his dream to become a Pokemon Master... or his father, who had left him and his mother for a Pokemon journey.

By the way, other than Delia and Ash being lucky to get a vacation trip to Alola, this series had skipped anything else that had happened in Kanto, unlike in the first episode of Unova... Oh well, there's no Pikachu reset.

The only worry I have for this series is basically how they will develop its characters. Sure they have personality around but they do need some sort of spark at hand. Especially Mallow, and no offense really, but I do think Mallow needs some working around here and there the most. I think the others will have something here, that's for sure.
Nov 18, 2016 12:01 AM
Jul 2018
TheHatredDMC said:
That pink and black Pokemon has some serious problems(I think its a female one and a Yandere at that). It's hard to watch this without criticizing Ash's character design(I mean everyone else looks normal but him and his mom is practically a teenage than a mom now)and Oak has a cousin(i thought they mad Oak black or whatever).

My first impression of Team Skull: wannabe gangsters. The one in the middle is throwing signs of retardation and trying too hard to be cool.

3/5. After XY&Z and it's beauty, this is BW 2. Ash asked where he was inspite being told he was at the Pokemon School(yeah its actually called Pokemon School, so original)

If you mean when he ran off from the Bear I think it makes more sense around him asking where he was. And I don't think it should be compared to BW... being real, BW doesn't exist at all. xD

But I wanna see how it goes around. The only complaint I get is his design but then again, if you use the original designs... you wouldn't really get these types of expressions with detail and underline and such.

As for Team Skull, it isn't much different as far as I've gotten from the Demo, they're pretty much the same so far (then again my mind can change once I get the full game), so this doesn't really bother me. I think it just goes for the more fun and adventurous point for me.

Just posting just to give a point around here honestly. I think with the original design of Ash it will be hard and rather a bit stressful to do them, since then the animators would kinda have to worry of how it looks at times. At least imo.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Pokemon Sun & Moon Episode 146 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Ri22rk - Nov 3, 2019

52 by leanrv »»
Feb 22, 11:16 AM

Poll: » Pokemon Sun & Moon Episode 144 Discussion

Ri22rk - Oct 20, 2019

28 by leanrv »»
Feb 20, 5:44 AM

Poll: » Pokemon Sun & Moon Episode 143 Discussion

Ri22rk - Oct 13, 2019

18 by leanrv »»
Feb 14, 6:02 AM

Poll: » Pokemon Sun & Moon Episode 139 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Crzykido - Sep 15, 2019

58 by leanrv »»
Feb 7, 10:06 AM

Poll: » Pokemon Sun & Moon Episode 133 Discussion

dannymilk - Aug 4, 2019

17 by leanrv »»
Jan 23, 5:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.