Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

"Dr. Stone is an isekai anime with all of the exposition and none of the magic."

New
Jul 16, 2019 9:04 AM

Oct 2014

Well, the games journalists have done it again, dropping some asinine 'hot' takes. Apparently Dr. Stone is an isekai just without magic and more exposition. There's very little criticism aside from a sarcastic (I hope) description of the plot so far. What do you guys think about the clickbait statement at the start of the review? Anyone agree with this guy?
Jul 16, 2019 9:26 AM

Apr 2019
I understand why that guy said that, but it´s stupid.

Dr.Stone is a post-apocalyptic story. Period.
Jul 16, 2019 9:39 AM

Nov 2013
Maybe sharing the link article would be nice than just clickbait title.

Probably it is explained as science later on, but when the human turned into stone first thing comes from my mind looks like a magic already, and the fact the characters know the state and the mechanism of the world they are living, is definitely far from Isekai
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Jul 16, 2019 10:20 AM

Oct 2014
DannyTheDonkey said:

Probably it is explained as science later on, but when the human turned into stone first thing comes from my mind looks like a magic already, and the fact the characters know the state and the mechanism of the world they are living, is definitely far from Isekai

I can’t imagine how you could have written that without trying to click on the giant hyperlinked image. Probably should at least checked before commenting.
Jul 16, 2019 10:27 AM

Oct 2017
Goblin Slayer is apparently an isekai too, looks like everything is an isekai nowadays.

Jul 16, 2019 10:28 AM

Nov 2013
RebelPanda said:
DannyTheDonkey said:

I can’t imagine how you could have written that without trying to click on the giant hyperlinked image. Probably should at least checked before commenting.

No lie. I'm pretty sure I clicked the pic. But oh well, I just broke everything I guess. I can open the articles now. Gonna start reading it.

Jul 16, 2019 10:50 AM
Feb 2012
the folks over at Polygon have never seen an isekai

I assume those that write these articles have seen 3 or 4 anime at most with two of those being BnHA and AoT
Jul 16, 2019 11:03 AM

May 2009
Who gives a shit about those worthless gamergate failures?
Jul 16, 2019 11:59 AM

Apr 2013
Well it's polygon. They think about getting some money first by making some buzz, and then maybe if they have some times they'll do some research about what they wrote. But not too much, because it's juicier to write another article than taking the time to inform yourself. Informing yourself don't make the buzz anyway, so who cares~
They are not pro journalists. Even amateur journalist kids doing it for some school newspaper put way more heart and effort into informing themselves before writing something.
Jul 17, 2019 9:55 AM

Jan 2018
I want to bust a nut every time someone tries to call this an isekai. It's literally the same damn world they were on before the apocalypse.
What a beautiful Duwang
Jul 17, 2019 10:07 AM

Jan 2013
DannyTheDonkey said:

Ehh not really, the characters can know the state and mechanism of the worlds and still be considered an isekai.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jul 17, 2019 10:07 AM

Oct 2013
@RebelPanda , when I see that kind of weird clickbaits I usually don't read what is further. No need to loose my time. If "a journalist" don't know the basics of a thing they make a review about, then I hardly believe this review is even worth checking out. It's different when you pick up different variations of definitions or even slightly modify it, and it is completely alright, but it is different as well to ignore the main principles of a thing that is being defined, and that is something bad to do in terms of writing about anything and wanting it to look consistent. So even if you posted a link to the article (too bad you didn't.. ;p ) I wouldn't really read it. No need to lose time on "reviews" like that. "Dr. Stone is an isekai", I'm fine with calling it like that as long as I see good arguments for it. Sadly, I can't agree with the arguments I read in this review (yes, in the end my curiosity won and I read it, just to check whether I wasn't too harsh about this title by calling it as a clickbait; unfortunately my predictions about this review were correct..).

@Heimur , yeah, everything is an isekai nowadays and all male characters who are not angelic ideals are called as incels. What's gonna be next? I have no idea to be honest, lol.

Edit: I fixed some words I wrote with typos and made my post look less salty.
AdnashApr 11, 2021 11:21 AM
Jul 17, 2019 1:24 PM

Oct 2014
Adnash93 said:
So even if you posted a link to the article (too bad you didn't.. ;p ) I wouldn't really read it.

The. Image. Is. Hyperlinked. (x2) But for those who cannot use right-click on a mouse, https://www.polygon.com/2019/7/15/20692356/dr-stone-anime-shonen-jump-manga-isekai-streaming

This generation seems to have lost the art of clicking on images... No real need to read it though, the guy says nothing but a lazy plot synopsis. The hottest take in the whole thing is the stupid clickbait title.
Jul 17, 2019 1:44 PM

Oct 2013
RebelPanda said:
Adnash93 said:
So even if you posted a link to the article (too bad you didn't.. ;p ) I wouldn't really read it.

The. Image. Is. Hyperlinked. (x2) But for those who cannot use right-click on a mouse, https://www.polygon.com/2019/7/15/20692356/dr-stone-anime-shonen-jump-manga-isekai-streaming

This generation seems to have lost the art of clicking on images... No real need to read it though, the guy says nothing but a lazy plot synopsis. The hottest take in the whole thing is the stupid clickbait title.

Well I assumed it was hyperlinked, that logical thinking hinted me, however I wrote post via my smartphone, so checking it was not that easy (nor hard too, tbh), and clicking it without thinking wouldn't go along with my personal rule of not clicking into random things on the Internet. A lot of people I know are like that from various reasons, so I'm not alone here, lol.

About "this generation" stuff I guess I am older than you, but it doesn't matter. You could easily say as well that some people forgot the value of their alphabet (here: Latin) and want to communicate with images when outcomes to chatting or discussing on the Internet.

As I noticed, around 90% or even more posts presenting something add a source as a texted link. Not image, not even custom short name, but normal link. This practice is quite useful and helpful for people browsing the forum via their mobile devices.
AdnashApr 11, 2021 10:46 AM
Jul 17, 2019 2:08 PM

Oct 2014
Adnash93 said:
RebelPanda said:

Well I assumed it was hyperlinked, that logical thinking hinted me, however I wrote post via my smartphone, so checking it was not that easy (n it hard too, tbh), and clicking it without thinking wouldn't go along with my personal rule of not clicking into random things on the Internet. A lot of people I know are like that from various reasons, so I'm not alone here, lol.

About "this generation" stuff I guess I am older than you, but it doesn't matter. You could easily say as well that some people forgot the value of their alphabet (here: Latin) and want to communicate with images when outcomes to chatting or discussing on the Internet.

As I noticed, around 90% or even more posts presenting something add a source as a texted link. Not image, not even custom short name, but normal link. This practice is quite useful.
Ok Ok joke joke ojisan, we are discussing animu, not the decaying generation. Have you read the source? Considering Dr. Stone is an isekai is flat out bunk. Isekai is a story that takes place in another world, this is the same world as our own as far as we know. The complaints about the story being overly expository are bunk too because it's delivered with great visuals, comedic montages, all done pretty fast. And it does dump exposition, but with everything it tells us it also shows us.
Jul 17, 2019 5:55 PM

Nov 2013
Cabron said:
DannyTheDonkey said:

Ehh not really, the characters can know the state and mechanism of the worlds and still be considered an isekai.

give an example. Probably it could, since all it needs just to be transferred to another world. But I haven't accross any isekai where at the very least the state is exactly the same as the original world.

Jul 17, 2019 6:09 PM

Jan 2009
reminder that Polygon also made an article calling Attack on Titan fascist and race supremacist propaganda

EDIT:

seems like they are using a very loose definition of isekai there, so an alternate world to them can also be applied to a different time like in the future and it reminds me of those New World Order stuff
Jul 17, 2019 6:15 PM

Nov 2016
Polygon has been very unreliable for some time Now. Why expect them to write something decent??
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 17, 2019 6:22 PM

Jun 2012
What is this writer trying to say, though?
The one true saving grace of Dr. Stone is that it looks gorgeous
comes out like it's preceded by some wrought out expose on the series, but I don't see anything explicitly critical in the article. Like, at all.
They don't even clarify the title or sub. . .
Jul 17, 2019 8:17 PM
Oct 2014
DannyTheDonkey said:

Imagine unironically wanting to give views to Polygon.
Jul 18, 2019 2:24 PM

Jan 2016
Ppl still read articles written by game/anime journos? Everything they write is just trash or some sjw shit
Jul 19, 2019 5:41 AM

May 2018
You can consider it an isekai anime since the world they where in have a major difference from the world they normally live on. In short it is a Brand New World.
EsieEyenJul 19, 2019 5:46 AM

Jul 19, 2019 7:48 AM

Oct 2013
RebelPanda said:
Ok Ok joke joke ojisan, we are discussing animu, not the decaying generation. Have you read the source? Considering Dr. Stone is an isekai is flat out bunk. Isekai is a story that takes place in another world, this is the same world as our own as far as we know. The complaints about the story being overly expository are bunk too because it's delivered with great visuals, comedic montages, all done pretty fast. And it does dump exposition, but with everything it tells us it also shows us.

Yeah I got the joke, just had to write what I wrote before. And I'm not THAT old. xD

About the article, I read it in my free time having nothing else to do. I though "why not? at least I will have wider perspective on implications from this article". It literally expands the dumbness of short introduction quoted in the first post and goes further and further in its bad assumptions, continuing treating Dr. Stone as an isekai and pointing out its disadvantages in a strange way. Like saying about typical isekai problems in a way it can be applied to any shounen anime.

Even the part about the art used in Dr. Stone was unfortunate. Like: "The first two episodes of the anime would probably be better off without any of the dialog", what the check?! I know their chatting is not on academic level of doctors of philosophy at the college, but it's a shounen with high schoolers as protagonists, lol.

In conclusion, this article was exactly like its introduction: dumb and awkward.
Jul 19, 2019 10:07 AM

Apr 2014
Don't care about it. Every fukin anime is now isekai for me.
Jul 19, 2019 10:27 AM

Jan 2019
So...i guess real life its also a reverse isekai....good one -_-
Ushiromiya Battler, right now, on this island, no one exists except for you. You're the only one alive in this island. However I'm here right now, and i'm about to kill you. Who... am I?
Jul 19, 2019 10:27 AM
Aug 2017
Heimur said:
Goblin Slayer is apparently an isekai too, looks like everything is an isekai nowadays.

Parasyte is also an isekai because apparently having a life-changing point is enough to make you an isekai
WILL YOU STOP WHINING!?
No I don't understand! You snap at people, you're scary, you tried to eat me, but you're also kind and you're filled with life!
You gave me a name when I was a number, you gave me that compass, you taught me what it means to be alive!
That's why I care about you Velvet! I'll protect you for my own sake. I don't care if you're malevolent, or if it was pointless! If it's a mistake to love you, then I"ll fight the whole world! A world without you, Velvet, is the one thing I couldn't bear!
Eat my arm, just leave me the other one! I need it to clobber the jerk who made my Velvet cry!
-Laphicet, Tales of Berseria

Jul 19, 2019 10:30 AM
Aug 2017
Emillian said:

Devil is a Part Timer exists
WILL YOU STOP WHINING!?
No I don't understand! You snap at people, you're scary, you tried to eat me, but you're also kind and you're filled with life!
You gave me a name when I was a number, you gave me that compass, you taught me what it means to be alive!
That's why I care about you Velvet! I'll protect you for my own sake. I don't care if you're malevolent, or if it was pointless! If it's a mistake to love you, then I"ll fight the whole world! A world without you, Velvet, is the one thing I couldn't bear!
Eat my arm, just leave me the other one! I need it to clobber the jerk who made my Velvet cry!
-Laphicet, Tales of Berseria

Jul 19, 2019 11:47 AM

Oct 2013
Emillian said:

Haha good point, but it's not that much of an exaggeration. Soon everything will be called as "reverse isekai", "incel protagonist", "too much talking". I don't like it, but our evolution is slowly approaching a nonsense of this type.
Jul 19, 2019 1:36 PM

Oct 2014
Adnash93 said:
Emillian said:

Haha good point, but it's not that much of an exaggeration. Soon everything will be called a "reverse isekai", "incel protagonist", "too much talking". I don't like it, but our evolution is slowly approaching nonsense of this type.

"Reverse isekai" is an oxymoron, so funny. Incel protagonist is kinda valid if the character bears enough similarities to incel outlooks. I doubt most things would be called all of those, but "too much talking" is already a vague criticism many use. To be fair though, it's pretty difficult to make interesting info dumps. Dr. Stone managed to pull it off but plenty of others don't.
Jul 19, 2019 1:44 PM

Mar 2018
"Not only are you wrong, you are stupid"

I get when some people can get an Isekai feel out of some anime, like Danmachi and Goblin Slayer, but Dr. Stone feels far from an isekai. It is a post apocapyptic story with a briliant boy who is in a stone age world and is at this point trying to make a gun. HOW THE HELL DOES THAT SOUND LIKE AN ISEKAI?
Jul 19, 2019 2:38 PM
Apr 2017
The dying website shrieks in clickbait articles as it desperately tries to keep itself relevant or at least get those 3 cents ad revenue.
Absolutely blessed
Jul 24, 2019 12:42 AM
Dec 2017
I hate polygon. So, I would never trust their opinion, because they are wrong so often. However, if I was honest, this show is boring me to death. There is nothing in it for me the care about. The stone thing has no context and seems to be a bullshit magical made up thing in a world based on reality.

However, I think the author of polygon might be right to call this a Isekai; because they are in a new apocalyptic world, just not literally. I can suspect belief for all the nonsense, but if there isn't any pay off for the nonsense, then I'm just bored as fuck. I suspect this show is for girls.

The trailer made this show seem like an action fighting show. I hate "slice of life" shows. If this show is a "slice of life", then I will naturally hate it. I think that is part of the problem.
Jul 25, 2019 6:01 PM

Oct 2015
Gingko said:
I understand why that guy said that, but it´s stupid.

Dr.Stone is a post-apocalyptic story. Period.
THANK YOU.
Tired of these people saying everything is an "isekai", as if that term hadn't been overused enough already.
Jul 25, 2019 10:22 PM

Apr 2014
I mean, I understand where they're coming from.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dr. Stone Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 4, 2019

163 by Mabaya »»
May 4, 7:40 AM

Poll: » Dr. Stone Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 5, 2019

487 by bubba460z »»
May 2, 7:45 PM

Poll: » Dr. Stone Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 26, 2019

236 by crumb_fr »»
May 2, 7:44 PM

Poll: » Dr. Stone Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 25, 2019

275 by chiwila »»
May 1, 10:52 PM

Poll: » Dr. Stone Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 8, 2019

150 by anshumankrsingh »»
Apr 7, 5:35 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.