Forum Settings
Forums

Has anybody actually seen an Isekai story end well?

New
Jun 26, 2019 5:08 AM

Dec 2014
I was thinking and I realized I have an idea how most types of anime stories end (battle shonen have a big fight, romance ones usually have a confession and maybe a timeskip and so on) but since I've never actually seen an Isekai with an OP MC end? I legitimately can't think of a satisfying end for stories with godlike MCs that drift through the story without any defined goals.
Jun 26, 2019 5:10 AM

Jan 2013
Yeah I remember Isekai Maou to Shoukan Shoujo no Dorei Majutsu Episode having a decent/okay ending
Jun 26, 2019 5:16 AM

Dec 2015
I don't think the "all-mighty" Hitomi drifts through the story of Ten`û no Escaflowne with no defined goal but her personal journey was certainly very well orchestrated and received the perfectly viable conclusion while the background intrigue (about the foreign world) reached a new state of balance.

Also, Ima soku ni iru boku's Matsutani Shûzo might be only a simple child full of illusions but his unbreakable wood staff broke up during the finale,
for this conclusive series.
Jun 26, 2019 5:22 AM

Jun 2016
To be fair, off the top of my head I cant even remember a single show that actually had an ending, as in the overall goal was reached. We defeated the daemon lord, slayed the dragon etc. Maybe I missed that tho. who knows.
rip.
Jun 26, 2019 5:30 AM

Feb 2019
IMO Youjo Senki had a pretty Satisfying Ending.

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

Jun 26, 2019 5:34 AM

Mar 2012
Yes with Inuyasha after fighting for Naraku for 145362753421 times.

Oh yeah Zero no Tsukaima end with happy marriage as well.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Jun 26, 2019 6:02 AM

Apr 2018
Aren't most isekai adaptations incomplete?
I don't think I've ever seen an isekai ending, so I can't really tell whenever they're good or not.
Btw a lot of isekai do have a defined goal. Also, I don't really understand the correlation between the mc being "godlike" and the ending being satisfying or not.
Jun 26, 2019 6:09 AM

May 2014
Digimon Adventure's ending was bitter-sweet, but satisfying since everything had been resolved.
Jun 26, 2019 6:31 AM

Feb 2019
vhagar8 said:
Aren't most isekai adaptations incomplete?
Yes, There are so many incomplete Anime adaptions because Most Anime is adapted as an Advertisement for the Manga/LN.

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

Jun 26, 2019 8:04 AM

Aug 2009
desusama said:
I was thinking and I realized I have an idea how most types of anime stories end (battle shonen have a big fight, romance ones usually have a confession and maybe a timeskip and so on) but since I've never actually seen an Isekai with an OP MC end? I legitimately can't think of a satisfying end for stories with godlike MCs that drift through the story without any defined goals.

I would say these ended pretty well.

The Familiar of Zero series.
Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari
Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure
Jun 26, 2019 8:08 AM
Jul 2018
The Vision of Escaflowne had a great ending.
Somewhat bittersweet for some people, but for me it was perfect. Maybe a bit predictable, but it at least made perfect sense.

None of that "UP" or "OP" stuff, granted, but Escaflowne is still from a time when isekai were held to a higher standard than today's crap.
Jun 26, 2019 8:13 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Smartphone shamelessly not giving a fuck and going harem ending is something I unironically respected about it, not gonna lie. Even if the show had the production values of a cave painting, if not less, I do kind of respect how few fucks it gave about itself and just ostensibly went full-in on trying to be a good time show, free from superficial prattling about dumb shit like a lot of these others shows can delve into and more focused on just going on an adventure in a way that tended to have a pretty good vibes to it.

Zero no Tsukaima's choice ending was also great and is probably my favorite example of a choice ending I think was good, I felt like it was satisfying in wrapping up the series and everything it had been up at that point on both the romance front and the over-arching narrative front.

ManabanJun 26, 2019 9:14 AM

Jun 26, 2019 8:28 AM
Oct 2017
Luna_Estlin said:

Did the Youjo senki novel end? It still shows publishing.
Jun 26, 2019 8:36 AM
Mar 2019
Luna_Estlin said:
Youjo senki ending wasn't that satisfying

trenchantbaka said:
Luna_Estlin said:

Did the Youjo senki novel end? It still shows publishing.
The manga & LN is still ongoing.
Jun 26, 2019 8:42 AM

Sep 2014
Seisenshi Dunbine has a pretty satisfying ending, if you ask me. Well, regardless of one's opinion of it, it's an actual ending and not an invitation to read some fucking book or manga.

But then again, the MC is not some godlike OP 'character' in this one.
Jun 26, 2019 9:03 AM

Dec 2014
Manaban said:
Smartphone shamelessly not giving a fuck and going harem ending is something I unironically respected about it, not gonna lie. Even if the show had the production values of a cave painting, if not less, I do kind of respect how few fucks it gave about itself and just ostensibly went full-in on trying to be a good time show, free from superficial prattling about dumb shit like a lot of these others shows can delve into. That probably stems from the source material moreso than the adaptation, though.

Zero no Tsukaima's choice ending was also great and is probably my favorite example of a choice ending I think was good, I felt like it was satisfying in wrapping up the series and everything it had been up at that point on both the romance front and the over-arching narrative front.

I've been avoiding Isekai Smartphone like the plague, I might give it a chance because of this though.
Jun 26, 2019 9:08 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
desusama said:

I've been avoiding Isekai Smartphone like the plague, I might give it a chance because of this though.

Nooooo it isn't good, me not memeing and acting like it has no redeeming qualities whatsoever doesn't mean I'm trying to convince people to watch it .-.

the dead, hollow eyes of the characters continue to haunt me in my nightmares

Jun 26, 2019 9:25 AM
Jul 2018
As much as I hate this series, Fushigi Yuugi actually had a nice, satisfying, happy ending.

They defeated the main baddie and all the people who died in earlier episodes came back for the final battle. It ended with Miaka and Tamahome getting to continue their romance in the modern, “real” world. Miaka also reunites with her friend Yui and they rekindle their relationship. All loose ends were pretty much tied.
Jun 26, 2019 9:25 AM
Jul 2018
Even isekai parody crossovers don't end, apparently. Isekai Quartet is getting a season 2.
Jun 26, 2019 9:40 AM

May 2009
Magic Knight Rayearth?

I mean, if Esclaflowne got a mention earlier in this thread,...
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jun 26, 2019 9:48 AM

Jul 2017
Master of Ragnarok I believe had a satisfying ending overall for the characters iirc

Luna_Estlin said:

yea I agree with @Iris_Eloise , hell even Tanya was like fuk this shit with the ending
Jun 26, 2019 9:51 AM

May 2016
People already mentioned Escaflowne and Now and Then Here and There, so there's that. Those are where the real quality isekai is at.

Also, let's not forget about Haibane Renmei. It, very technically, is an isekai--Rakka does, indeed, find herself in another world unfamiliar to her. And it is also of very high quality with a very profound and satisfying ending.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Jun 26, 2019 10:20 AM

Jun 2019
I would say Inuyasha not only had a happy ending, but a complete and satisfying ending that touched on and addressed the conclusions to everyone's story, even those of more minor and supporting characters, in a way few shows, anime or otherwise ever do. After following 193 episodes and four films over ten years (not me as I binged the series in two months but for fans at the time who watched it live) it felt not just conclusive in a holistic sense but utterly cathartic to have every potential story thread wrapped up in so thorough and definitive a way. I'd say it should actually serve as an example for other epic stories spread across long-running series and franchises as so many fumble this.

After a five year hiatus between the next to last season and the last, I imagine the fans would have been screaming bloody murder if they were left dangling in the wind with some bullshit cop-out "leave it up to the viewer's imagination/interpretation" style non-ending. After almost 200 episodes, you want an ending befitting its length and scale and grandeur as emotional and narrative payoff and I would say it delivered.

Jun 26, 2019 10:27 AM
Nov 2018
Only one that comes to mind is Tenchi Muyo! War on Geminar which had a proper ending
Jun 26, 2019 9:54 PM

Dec 2016
Of course there are.

Magic Knight Rayearth
The Vision of Escaflowne
Digimon Adventure
Now and Then, Here and There

And what do all these titles have in common?.... all of them produced in the 90s. Before isekai shows were all light novel advertisements for self-inserts.

GlennMagusHarvey said:
Magic Knight Rayearth?

I mean, if Esclaflowne got a mention earlier in this thread,...

This is MAL... of course it was not going to get a mention since according to this site everything pre-2000 that didn't have many artsy ambitions (NGE, Cowboy, Berserk, SEL, LogH, Gundams and so on) and looked slightly childish, is forgettable crap. Nothing new here.
Jun 26, 2019 11:59 PM
Jan 2009
I think the Dog Days anime trilogy had a decent run.
Jun 27, 2019 12:08 AM
May 2018
Klad said:
Yeah I remember Isekai Maou to Shoukan Shoujo no Dorei Majutsu Episode having a decent/okay ending
bro I think the anime ended but the LN might still be ongoing, So overall it hasn't yet reached a conclusion

More topics from this board

» Hentai Tags ( 1 2 )

HentaixxHunter - May 16, 2022

97 by Nurguburu »»
3 seconds ago

» What are your thought on Ecchi anime?

RedTea33 - Yesterday

30 by Archean-Return »»
2 minutes ago

» What does the Anime you watch say about you

ST63LTH - Apr 29

28 by zombie_pegasus »»
19 minutes ago

» Digitalization of the modern world and anime

RobertBobert - 11 hours ago

31 by Adnash »»
33 minutes ago

» show me your anime 3x3 ( 1 2 )

707supremacist - Yesterday

86 by SilentVinyl »»
34 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.