Forum Settings
Forums

Can you still love anime as you're getting older?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 2, 2019 11:13 PM
Feb 2019
Gen_Lightsbane said:
HunLepto said:

Non Non Biyori is adult themed? Or you like it more for its laid back SoL themes? Haven't seen the anime, just interested in it and as to what makes you mention it.

Depends on what you consider adult-themed. It is technically seinen, but it doesn't tackle any "mature" subjects.

I like it because it helps me relax, and it lessens the pain of leading a boring and lonely (adult) life.
That's basically it. It's escapism, really.

Thanks for your explanation. 30characterlimit
Jun 3, 2019 1:11 AM

Sep 2015
Unless I'm incentivized by someone I'm close to (a friend, significant other, etc.) in the next 5 years or so, I think I'll eventually just drop anime altogether. It's not that I'm "too mature" for it, but there's certainly a level of fatigue you get when watching over the course of multiple years. Things start to feel more and more like the same thing. It's not like this is exclusive to anime, it could apply to any medium for me if I were to give the same amount of time investment into it as I have with anime.

Even saying all that, I don't think it's implausible to think that I'll ever not NOT love anime.
Jun 3, 2019 1:14 AM

Jul 2013
Since a few years back I cut down on anime a lot. I barely even watch an episode a week nowadays, though I have on occasion watched the entire of a series in the span of a few days.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Jun 3, 2019 1:16 AM

Feb 2019
You'll lose your time not your interest in Anime

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

Jun 3, 2019 1:21 AM
Dec 2014
No one day you get out of bed and your entire personality just because of age...

Look there are tons of anime out there that have a more well developed plot and characters. But hell its normal for 30 year old people to watch Avengers Endgame so why can't you watch an anime show?!
Jun 3, 2019 12:02 PM

Mar 2017
It amuses the hell out of me what most participants in this thread consider "older". I've been a fan of Hayao Miyazaki since I bought "My Neighbor Totoro" and "Kiki's Delivery Service" on VHS back in the mid-1990s for my kids to watch. Over the years I've watched a little anime here and there, but it's only been less than three years since I became a consumer of anime in a big way. Nowadays I finish a couple of series per week. To answer the original question, I don't expect to give it up anytime soon, though I may taper if off some to allow more time for other interests. Yes, I will continue to enjoy anime as I get older (says the guy who's already older than many of your parents).
A møøse once bit my sister...
Jun 3, 2019 12:17 PM
Feb 2014
Yes you can, i never completely stopped watching or liking anime, even if, for many years i would barely watch 1-3 anime a year, but from time to time there's still anime that can get me hyped while watching it such as Mawaru Penguindrum, Steins;Gate, Servamp, Bungou Stray Dogs etc.

But the reason for me watching less anime definitely wasn't that most anime have a teenage protagonist/cast or that i thought the characters wouldn't be relatable, in fact, i think i can relate better to teenage characters.

It doesn't matter if you grow physically older, it only matters if your mind does, since then your perceptions on things can change.
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Jun 3, 2019 4:51 PM

Oct 2008
I can at least for now. I don't know about the future though.
Jun 3, 2019 10:54 PM
Nov 2015
I've been watching anime for nearly a decade now and as time goes on I'll likely continue to enjoy anime. You may not watch as much or maybe you might even watch more than you currently do now. The point is anime is just like every other medium it has its pros and cons; you might burnout here or there, you might stop liking certain genres because of the direction they take, or you might just continue to like what you like and still watch anime as you have been. Watch anime because you enjoy it, not for artificial numerical ratings, not because you feel peer pressured to by your social group, and not because you think you have to in order to fulfil some pseudo sense of progression. If you stop enjoying it you don't have to continue to watch it but if you do enjoy watching anime then feel free to keep doing it despite how old you are.
Jun 4, 2019 4:17 AM
Jul 2018
Maybe a little bit more than back then, because I have less time, so I take some time, just to watch anime.

Also, young people could have interesting lives and personalities too and experienced more than some adults. So, it's not so much about age, but about character and life experience.
Jun 4, 2019 4:33 AM
May 2018
As long as I get unique story telling why not...
Jun 4, 2019 4:55 AM

Nov 2014
I was already "old" when I started watching. I never saw that problem. There are also genres aimed at older viewers - not only niche genres like seinen/josei, but also very popular CGDCT, idols etc.
Anyway, I believe most anime is fine for all ages. Even when you look at battle shounens, they can be easily enjoyed by adult watchers who often see more value in those than younger ones.
Jun 4, 2019 5:11 AM

Jun 2014
Of course, I am watching anime for over 20 years. I am still loving this medium as much as I did before, although I am starting to pick up specific animes, because when I was younger I would watch almost every anime that comes out every season. Now, I choose 4-5 and that is it, either because they are the best IMO or because I don't have as much free time as I would like to. But sure, being about teens doesn't bother me at all.
Jun 4, 2019 5:32 AM
Sep 2017
Im 19 now but im looking forward to dropping anime when im 30 years old cause im gonna focus on my own family and life.

Can you still love anime as your getting older?

Well i could say Yes! Cause i started watching anime only 2 years ago (17 year old) and im still loving it.
The thing about me is that i dont really care that much about relating myself in an anime. Ill even continue watching shounen animes when i turn 29.

Jun 4, 2019 5:53 AM

Apr 2017
Maybe I'm not one to talk as I'm a kid but why would you need to relate to the characters to enjoy an anime, and why would an age appropriate to yours be a requirement for that.
There are teenagers in anime that have really advanced mental ages.

『 The truth has power because it’s the truth.
And because it is the truth, that makes it just.
It’s persuasive, isn’t it? Don’t you want truth like that? 』

Jun 4, 2019 7:09 AM

Oct 2017
Right so... Few things.

Me. I'm 32 and I like all sorts of anime. Only the Naruto/DBZ style battle shounen I can't get in to. But that's my problem and nothing to do with being 'mature'

As for that word: Mature...

I'm sorry but it makes me kind of angry when people in their early twenties start to say they are getting too 'mature' for anime. First of all, you don't know much about maturity yet. I guess I am being slightly condescending with that stement but it's true. I don't think poorly of younger people in general though so don't get the wrong idea. Quite the opposite. There's a chance the average 22 yr old is smarter than me and a good chance they are further along with whatever life goals they have than I did at that age. I'm jealous of all the youthful energy and exuberence young people have. Which segways nicely in to my next point...

If I were to give the number one thing I love about anime, it is the celebration of youth. Anime portrays a time in all our lives when there was so much potential and so many exciting things going on. I watch anime about school and I think how beautiful a time in life that is. It makes me sad and happy at the same time I guess. People talk is if they can't relate to characters younger than them... What? You don't remember being young? Surely, the advantage of featuring younger characters is that even more people can relate. And anime does this wonderful thing where it treats stories featuring teenagers with respect. Anime has a fantastic way of staying true to the experience of being young while telling genuinely deep and meaningful stories.

Please don't become that boring, sad old person that can't enjoy a good story unless it's a serious drama told from the perspective of 30-somethings. Don't lose that spark, that imagination to be able to engage with fantastic stories like we find in anime. I discovered anime when I was 30 and it was like finding this endless treasure trove of amazing stories. I think it's so sad when people can't enjoy something like anime because of some pompous, socially acceptable idea of 'maturity'.

I will continue to love anime until I die and I will put a fucking loli on my coffin I swear to God.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Jun 4, 2019 7:19 AM
Oct 2017
I'm 31, I still enjoy anime as much as I always have, possibly more so now with so many on offer every season, I tend to avoid kids and teens in anime but there as some that I feel I don't genuinely need to personally relate to for me to enjoy them as sometimes it's just not my story and the anime isn't set up that way.
Jun 4, 2019 7:55 AM

Jun 2010
Anime is an entertainment, just like movies, TV shows and such. I will continue to like anime regardless how old I get. The only thing is time. While in school, there was much more time for it. But as one grows older, life gets more complicated with commitment. Hence the time that can be spent on such entertainment will be reduced.

Perhaps there may be changes in the type of genre that I would choose as I get older. But there will always be something that one would like no matter how old he/she gets. Childhood favourites can stay with us for a long, long time. We might not watch it as often as we did when we were a kid, but what we have enjoyed back then will always stays with us.

Anyone likes Doraemon, Pokemon and Digimon? These were some of the early production which many of us do not outgrow with liking them when we were a kid. Even Sesame Street (though not an anime series) catches my attention when it airs on TV nowadays. How can I forget the characters like Big Bird and Cookie Monster? Even long-live Doraemon series which has gone through multiple re-productions is still very popular among children and adults. :)
Jun 4, 2019 8:30 AM

Feb 2012
It's possible, but (un)fortunately not very predictable. If I had to watch a bunch of talking old heads these days, I'd probably hate anime. Good thing I don't have to do that if I don't want to. I rather give myself the liberty to do what is interesting right here and now, not what I thought was a great (or terrible) idea 10 years ago.
Jun 4, 2019 8:50 AM

Jan 2010
TheAskald said:
The vast majority (not 100% though) of main characters in anime are teenagers (or young adults in their early 20's), as simple as that. It's something trivial and obvious, but it only struck me recently, as I could relate less and less with animes as I'm aging.

I already saw brilliant animes with characters that aren't young (Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu and Monster for example), and I think animes should evolve as a medium, and have more frequently adults as main characters.

It really saddens me to see that I'm getting less and less interested in animes because around 90% of them are for teenagers and I'm not one anymore.

Does it do the same thing for you?
Are there people on MAL that enjoy animes while not being teenager/young adult?

(edit: typo)

Yes you can.

And yes I think your preference would change also.

It's sad indeed as you aging away and your husbandos is still the same age of 15 lmao.

And I'm getting closer to Trafalgar Law's age too lolol.

Nowadays I really more interested in adult characters than teenagers... so yeah. But I still love my shounen anime even though I'm no longer a teenager lmao.
Jun 4, 2019 9:16 AM
Apr 2018
The only reason why I'd keep watching say 5 or 10 years down the line is if I'm still single and require a substitute for emotional support.
Jun 4, 2019 9:26 AM

Aug 2018
Ofcourse! I will still watch and love anime!
Jun 4, 2019 9:30 AM

Oct 2018
If anything I'd love it more giving it more value.~

サディスティックな考え
"JUST KILL ME."
サディスティックマインド
Jun 4, 2019 9:30 AM

Nov 2013
I hate anime
Fuck Anime
It's just wasting timr
“You should enjoy the little detours to the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want.”
Jun 4, 2019 9:35 AM

Feb 2010
If you can't, I'd find that pretty sad. On the one hand unlearning to enjoy basic things like a good story should not be seen as an inherent part of growing up or as a state of mind that you'd call 'mature' and want to acquire. Maturity should not be seen as a narrowing of your perspectives and preferences, but as something that broadens them.

On the other hand I find worrying about how mature other people will think you are to be a sign of immaturity to a degree. The older I become the less I care about being perceived as 'adult' or 'childish', because the more I know who I am and aren't impacted as much by other people's perceptions.

In general I think maturity should not be seen as the opposite of childishness. Real maturity is knowing that your inner child is a valuable part of you that should not just be discarded. I reall like this quote about the topic:

"I don't think people change. I think they definitely mature. But I think the essence of what I am today is the same as when I was five years old. It's just maturity. I've become a healthier, fuller expression of that essence."

Growing up doesn't have to mean losing parts of yourself, just letting them grow with you.

On that note I will also never understand people who can only enjoy or appreciate fiction that deals with characters of their age group. That's just a very narrow-minded approach to fiction that I can absolutely not relate to. I could enjoy movies with an adult cast when I was younger just like I can enjoy stuff with a teenage cast now. Probably the latter even more so because every adult has experienced the teenage years and should be able to remember and relate to that experience, even if time passed since then, while as a child you can't yet relate to the adult world because you have not experienced it.

In the end fiction is about being human, about fundametal human experienced or feelings, and in that sense I can relate to stories about grade schoolers the same way I can relate to stories about grandmas and grandpas. Not being able to appreciate any fiction with characters outside your age group is just a sign of a very limited imagination and ability to empathize if you ask me.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jun 4, 2019 9:54 AM

Mar 2018
Yes, BUT.............probably not the same type of series...because your taste may change over time.
Jun 4, 2019 10:03 AM

Dec 2010
I feel like many of these so-called "teenager" anime are rated R-17, so they're actually for adults. The age of the characters does not have to be the age of the viewers.

I ❤️lolis
Jun 4, 2019 10:12 AM

Nov 2018
Of course you can. If you just think about real life movies with actors. People love those movies cause of the story. You probably watch those movies too because the story is something that got your attention.
If you find an anime with a good story that you are interested in, age won't matter one bit.
Jun 4, 2019 11:12 AM

Oct 2017
Well of course you can I never understood the mentality you have to the age of the characters in the story to relate to them or that it is important to relate at all. I am not in HS anymore but does it matter? Japanese HS is a very different experience than what I went through. I didn't relate to them when I was their age watching those shows anyway. Same thing with action adventure protagonists I have never been in such life threatening situations or fought in a war how could I relate with them. That has nothing to do with age. You can still empathize with people and I don't think that has really anything to do with age or gender. There have been only a few characters in all of the fiction I have consumed that I actually related to but plenty more I could empathize with.

If you want to say one genre I actually like more as I get older CGDCT shows like Yuru Camp. They always help deal with the stress. In comparison when I first got into anime I never would have understood the appeal. Plotless shows honestly at times are much better than "mature" or "deep" shows because at times I just want something to relax and cut down on my stress levels (which only increase ever year sigh...). Though granted other people apparently struggle with this and need to "relate" so maybe I am just lucky I don't care.

As for reasons why we don't see many adult characters well teens are used mainly because you get more cross market appeal. Teens get characters their age and adults can get a sense of escapism from the awful Japanese work culture by putting them in an environment that reminded them of better times. I assume for most people in Japan if they wanted older characters and usually more grounded plots they would just go to live action dramas than watch anime.
BilboBaggins365Jun 4, 2019 11:21 AM
Jun 4, 2019 1:36 PM

Aug 2018
I would say yes, but who know what will happen in the future.
I think of animes just as movies or series. Probably if I will start to dislike an anime it will not cause that I start to hate all of the animes. Just my priority will change between animes, moves and series, but I wil still watch them.

Jun 4, 2019 1:42 PM
Aug 2015
TolkienFan365 said:

I assume for most people in Japan if they wanted older characters and usually more grounded plots they would just go to live action dramas than watch anime.

But I love anime as a medium for plenty of reasons and qualities that movies and tv shows don't have, and will never be able to replace.
There could be a lot of good animes with "older characters and usually more grounded plots" like you said, that could still benefit of the advantages of animes. It just too bad that this potential isn't used and that most of animes are confined to a limited part of all the possibilities. Probably for commercial reasons. Producing an anime costs A LOT, so it must sell at all cost
Jun 4, 2019 4:27 PM

Feb 2010
yes i enjoy it less but still do, watching teens getting kinda awkward i thought life will get me into something new as i age but nothing ever happened
Jun 4, 2019 7:08 PM

May 2016
for me probably not. i don't care for it anymore and tbh it's always been like i've never been a huge anime watcher. i just spend my time reading manga because i prefer reading way more and i actually enjoy it

。⋆。˚☽˚。⋆。

from the days that i've
lived those i had spent
with you, seemed real

月光
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - 32 minutes ago

6 by Rinenka »»
2 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - Yesterday

34 by MadanielFL »»
3 minutes ago

» Do you have any favorite opening or ending animations?

RobertBobert - 2 hours ago

8 by Dizzy-san »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 8 hours ago

36 by karrotStick »»
6 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

44 by Nurguburu »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.